NATION

PASSWORD

Survey for Roleplayers [OOC; Open to All]

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]
Milograd
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Survey for Roleplayers [OOC; Open to All]

Postby Milograd » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:20 am

Yo II.

After consulting with the mentor team, I've been delegated to put up a simple survey that we want to use to gauge several aspects of II that are relevant to our operation. We're mostly concerned with improving the program, getting a feel for what people think about II, and what people want to see change and improve.

If you'd like to give us a hand, I'd encourage you to take the time to fill out this survey. It's pretty quick and we don't need thorough answers, albeit they'd certainly be appreciated. We really want to hear your thoughts. You can do this by copying the code below and putting your answers below the questions.

Code: Select all
    1) What kind of RPs do you like?

2) What tech levels do you generally prefer to use?

3) Do you think P/MT is a legitimate tag?

4) Do you tend to RP with the same people, or do you RP with a variety of people. Are you in an RP region, and if so, which? List any recent RP partners that are worth noting

5) Do you prefer your RPs open, semi-open, or closed?

6) Do you prefer to RP in set groups with concrete canons, or do you prefer more open, fluid interaction?

7) Describe your thoughts on mixing tech level, and sapient non-humans in NS RP.

8) Do you prefer gameplay stats, capped, or fluid?

9) Do you see merit in competitive war roleplaying?

10) Do you use other NS RP forums (i.e. GE&T, F&NI, NSSPorts, NS), or do you solely use II? If so, list them.

11) What do you think of II right now? Are you enjoying it? What do you like, and what don't you like?

12) What would you like to see change in II?13) Do you consider yourself to be better or worse at roleplaying than most posters in International Incidents? Why?

14) What criteria do you use to define a good roleplayer?

15) How long have you been roleplaying? Did you RP before you joined NS?

16) What most effectively helped you learn to RP on NS?

17) In what ways do you think the mentor program could be better?

18) Do you have any suggestions for mentors? If so, who?

19) Do you use internet relay chat, IRC, or similar messengers to communicate with RPers? If so, which?

20) Who, if anyone, has been especially helpful to you as a roleplayer?

Thank you.
Last edited by Dread Lady Nathicana on Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Unpinned per request
Retired

Ainin
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 05, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ainin » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:56 am

Political, military

MT

Yes

4) Do you tend to RP with the same people, or do you RP with a variety of people. Are you in an RP region, and if so, which? List any recent RP partners that are worth noting
Usually the same people. For RP region, Esquarium. RPing partners, mostly my region-mates.

Closed for most.

6) Do you prefer to RP in set groups with concrete canons, or do you prefer more open, fluid interaction?
Open, if realistic.

7) Describe your thoughts on mixing tech level, and sapient non-humans in NS RP.
I don't have too strong opinions on sapient non-humans, but I'm not a really big fan of mixing tech levels.

Fluid

No

10) Do you use other NS RP forums (i.e. GE&T, F&NI, NSSPorts, NS), or do you solely use II? If so, list them.
GE&T, NS, F&NI (+F7 for NSG Senate RPs)

11) What do you think of II right now? Are you enjoying it? What do you like, and what don't you like?
I personally don't really like the number of one-liners and extremely short posts right now in II.

12) What would you like to see change in II?
Well, in practice, not much.

13) Do you consider yourself to be better or worse at roleplaying than most posters in International Incidents? Why?
Meh.

Acceptance to take realistic losses, good spelling, adequate post length,

2 years? And no for the latter.

Monkey-see, monkey-do.

I don't know

No.

19) Do you use internet relay chat, IRC, or similar messengers to communicate with RPers? If so, which?
Yes, #Esquarium and #NSG_Senate, on Esper.

*shrugs*
Republic of Nakong | 內江共和國 | IIwiki · Map · Kylaris
"And when the last law was down, and the Devil turned round on you — where would you hide, Roper, the laws all being flat?"

Tiami
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 24, 2010
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tiami » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:14 am

Political/Diplomacy

MT and PT

No, I do not. It's too close to FT to be considered anywhere near modern tech levels. If I had a preference, the three main techs would have no sub-branches.

I RP with the regions listed below. Very rarely do I venture into II and RP with those I do not have experience with.
Reznya
Sondria
Gholgoth

Closed

A mixture of both

Not interested in it, but I have no problem with it

8. Do you prefer gameplay stats, capped, or fluid?
Fluid

No. NS RP is about the story, not the victory.

GE&T, F&NI

I would prefer if there would be fewer one-line RP's; it's bringing the quality of II down. Nevertheless, the quality from some of the recognizable faces is consistently getting even better.

12) What would you like to see change in II?13) Do you consider yourself to be better or worse at roleplaying than most posters in International Incidents? Why?
I would like to see fewer one-liners and more RP'ers asking for help when they need it. As for the second question, I consider myself on equal terms with everyone on II. Why? Because everyone is equal, in my opinion.

Someone who can consistently write a detailed post with personality, not take losses, and only RP's for the story, not for a winner takes all trophy.

I've been RP'ing full-time for about three years, on and off for around eight.

Watching RP'ers like Azura, Automagfreek, and many others. Their writings are the best.

The mentor program could always find one or two more RP'ers willing to become a mentor. In that way, it would help the overall activity of the mentor program. One or two more mentors would help cover more questions in a shorter period of time.

N/A

#SondriaUnite and #Reznya

Azura and Kylarnatia. They've been giving me advice for three years.
Last edited by Tiami on Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Founder of TETism and 18-year NS vet
|| All things II RP-related || Discord: nstiami || FN&I General Help ||
|| IIWiki || ANI News || Military Worldbuilding || RPing Questions? Ask Here! ||
|| Maltropia + Tiami 4ever <3 || The Best Quote ||

Huda
Senator

Founded: Sep 15, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Huda » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:18 am

War, Marriages, Singular RPs

MT, and P/MT

Yes

4) Do you tend to RP with the same people, or do you RP with a variety of people. Are you in an RP region, and if so, which? List any recent RP partners that are worth noting.
GE&T- Vilamoura and Monforte. II- Asigna, Nationalist Nazi Philipines or something.

Open

fluid interactions

I don't know, I am a human and MT guy actually

Gameplay Stats

Not actually

I use GE&T, NS and Portal to Multiverse, and Forum 7

I LOVE II! I love the wars and I hate the fact that most are open and I can't come; like The war on south rothinzil

I'd say better than some. I'm new and most are WAY better than me

The use of making it look real, making it look like a movie.

It's just been one month or perhaps two. Yes, I played Medieval Age RPs in smallworlds and used to do the RPs that are sorta called movies there.

Well, viewing many people's posts, The Tyoli Civil war, Karlberg Industries AB.

Well, if they can be online often or so and TG us by just viewing our storefront or any posts we make

Maltropia, Lyras and Lamoni

No

Um... In GE&T; Moorburgh and Eslovakia. In II, New Korongo.

Tehraan
Minister

Founded: Nov 29, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Tehraan » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:43 am

Military, political, crime and spy based character RPs

MT

No

I RP with the same people in an RP region

depends on the RP

set in concrete canons

mixing tech level breaks my suspension of disbelief. Depending on context and area sapient non-humans feel out of place in some RPs

as much capped as possible

Provided it is a friendly for the sake of open ending. Otherwise absolutely not

II only for RPs, GE&T just for buying stuff and managing a storefront

I'm barely enjoying it. I dislike the large amount of retarded story lines that oversimple politics, military and social maters simply because they don't understand it well enough. I dislike the commonality of people who seem more interested in their own power fantasies and have a habit of boosting about themselves in varying manners. The over abundance of 'ripped from the headline stories' and politically loaded RPs that seem more as a conduit to promote their own political ideas in ways that go beyond merely writing essays and factbooks.

Most of all absence of personally engaging military RPs. People focus too much on the high level stuff to the point they seem to forget it's text based and thus more suitable for story and drama as opposed to treating it as a strategy game. That's not to say strategy and tactics cannot be part of it, but it gets too much attention and people forget to make it interesting.

Nothing particular

13) Do you consider yourself to be better or worse at roleplaying than most posters in International Incidents? Why?
Better, in my perception a lot of the people who post on II have yet to effectively settle in around here. Also the above reasons

1. Their way of interacting with others on an OOC basis.
2. Their willingness too cooperate and compromise.
3. Their humility
4. Their writing skills

Not outside of table top Roleplaying, so that makes it roughly 3 years.

RPing with people who are good at RPing and finding an RP region to fit in.

It could be more active in RPing with newcomers to bridge the gap between newbies and veterans.

No one particularly

I use IRC

New Azura, Milograd/Cartavesqa, West to name a few.
Last edited by Tehraan on Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

Hindustacki
Political Columnist

Founded: Jul 26, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Hindustacki » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:53 am

Military

MT, Sometimes PMT

Yeah.

Both. No. Erm, Horus, Allen, and a few others (If you count a year ago as recent)

Anything.

Fluid.

Against mixing techs. I don't take a liking to talking ponies.

Fluid.

Meh.

I sometimes bought stuff on GE&T.

Meh.

Donno.

In the middle.

Good spelling, at least a paragraph, and details.

2 years. Nope.

Saw. Did.

Donno.

Nah.

Mibbet, or whatever it's called.

Nobody.

Azurand
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 19, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Azurand » Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:05 am

1) What kind of RPs do you like? Political, war, characters, basically all roleplays lol. In my roleplay posts I'm usually also reflecting in-character life of my nation's characters, its culture and lots and lots of generalisations.

2) What tech levels do you generally prefer to use? MT, however differing from the mainstream 'elitist realistic' MT roleplaying I prefer to embrace all techs altogether with few limitations. I definitely recognise magic despite magicians are automatically burned to death in my nation, I feel notion that 'magic is wank' is silly and witch-hunting. Magic is a tech, if other techs aren't wanking why magic should be?

3) Do you think P/MT is a legitimate tag? Yes, for me actually it implies PT/MT/PMT. I'm not a strict MTer, so I definitely would welcome three techs, along with FanT into my canon.

4) Do you tend to RP with the same people, or do you RP with a variety of people. Are you in an RP region, and if so, which? List any recent RP partners that are worth noting. I'm now within the region of Esquarium, and so far to be honest I haven't commenced any long-time roleplays, they usually later died lol.

5) Do you prefer your RPs open, semi-open, or closed? Depends. My recent posts are usually using 'attn: Esquarium' tags, but after I consider this I'm thinking it as rather silly. I'll later just post threads and making it open for everybody, providing there's no planetary invasion.

6) Do you prefer to RP in set groups with concrete canons, or do you prefer more open, fluid interaction? Mixed. I like being sensible in my canon, but sometimes I also favor being chaotic and fluid. Depends on mood.

7) Describe your thoughts on mixing tech level, and sapient non-humans in NS RP. People are taking it way to seriously. NS roleplay, NS MT roleplay is not serious business, nor is it a real world realistic simulation. It's sort of a fantasy universe already, and thinking existence of ponies as god-modding is simply absurd as most of them are NS-MT and aren't using any advantages above humans.

8) Do you prefer gameplay stats, capped, or fluid? Fluiiiddd.....

9) Do you see merit in competitive war roleplaying? Tbh no, really. But people have their own way in having fun, I suppose. I'm just thinking they're doing it in a wrong website.

10) Do you use other NS RP forums (i.e. GE&T, F&NI, NSSPorts, NS), or do you solely use II? If so, list them. Sometimes I use NationStates subforum.

11) What do you think of II right now? Are you enjoying it? What do you like, and what don't you like? Actually the quality is rather poor and mainstream better community are very closed in their roleplaying rooms, refuse any unrealistic filth which stain their glorious bastion of realism. But overall I rarely see one-line roleplay which is rather an improvement.

12) What would you like to see change in II? Normal answers. Moar quality roleplays, less misconceptions regarding usage of magic et cetera.

13) Do you consider yourself to be better or worse at roleplaying than most posters in International Incidents? Why? Medium, perhaps. I consider people who roleplay better than me as good RPers and worse than me as bad RPers, lol. Superiority complex perhaps?

14) What criteria do you use to define a good roleplayer? See above. And rather hypocritically, relationship with other roleplayers. Also I don't consider techno-babble as good roleplays.

15) How long have you been roleplaying? Did you RP before you joined NS? No. I roleplayed now for a year, minus my baaad days where the first of my posts hidden under the depths.

16) What most effectively helped you learn to RP on NS? Other people's posts and stickies, but mainly the former.

17) In what ways do you think the mentor program could be better? Mentors should be moar active, obviously. Overall they're good and fine lads to be asked questions.

18) Do you have any suggestions for mentors? If so, who? Eh, just a player who focus on magic, perhaps, for fair balance? Crystal Spires I might say. Or other good writers, like Allanea or Tuthina.

19) Do you use internet relay chat, IRC, or similar messengers to communicate with RPers? If so, which? #Esquarium on EsperNet. Sometimes join other IRC chats.

20) Who, if anyone, has been especially helpful to you as a roleplayer? I think all good roleplayers. I spend half of my NS time stalking people. :P
PAIN - PAIX - LIBERTÉ

Neo-Assyrian Empire
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Neo-Assyrian Empire » Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:46 am

I like colonization RPs with the occasional riots in [INSERT NATION HERE] RPs.

MT to early PMT

Yes

I like to RP with the same people, but I can RP with anyone. Some notable players that I've RPed with recently include Singpu, Slipspacia, New Emphillon, and Hyperion

Depends on what it is, however I like them semi-closed

I like more fluid interaction. However, if it is a sequal to another RP or something like that, then I'd want a set canon

As long as no one overpowers another due to technology, then I feel that it is fine for a PT nation to RP with a PMT or even an FT nation. However, I do not like RPing with nations that have ponies or furries as their citizens. I can RP with nations with humanoids that are slightly different from humans, but nothing like Ponies or furries...

Fluid

Not particularly

I use GE&T, F&NI, and NS (Though I use NS rarely) for RPs with my nation.

I like it, I like it. I don't see much that needs to be changed, mainly due to the fact that I don't go on II as often as I used to. However, from what I see at this moment, I don't see much need for change.

Nothing, really

I feel as though I am slightly below average. While I might have better post orginization or storylines, I tend to skim through someone's post before I reply, which could sometimes lead to OOC arguments...

They need to have good grammar, decent spelling (A few mistakes here and there are okay), able to make a good storyline, and is able to change whenever something happens that isn't according to his or her plan.

I have been roleplaying for two years. One year on NS and one year outside of NS

Joining small roleplays that were more relaxed than most others.

I have never been a part of it, nor do I know of anyone who was a part of it, so I have no comments on

Not really, since, like I said, I haven't really been a part of the mentor program and I've only seen one RP with mentoring and such.

Not really. I tend to talk to other players through TG or in the OOC

No one, really. I've mostly figured stuff out on my own.
Account may or may not be alive or dead. We'll see what happens
General Information
<G> Is the national currency. <G> 1 = $1.6
Political Compass: Economic Left/Right: 1
Libertarian/Authoritarian: -.31
Veni, Vidi, Vici
|[=-=X|X=-=]|
Currently RPing As
Nobody
;~;

|[=-=X|X=-=]|

The IASM
Senator

Founded: Jan 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The IASM » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:34 am

CODE: SELECT ALL
Nation based P/MT political stories.

P/MT.

Yes, unless your an IC superpower, nobody is going to be is going to be entirely PMT and why update weaponry which most the world isn't using yet?

Most of the time I RP with the same people though having some variety and I'm currently in Sondria,

Semi-open due to it allowing more variety to entering though closed RPs are useful for creating good posts.

I prefer long canons due to it allowing more tweaking and generally longer stories.

I vastly prefer

Capped and NS realistic.

No, it is pointless and will eventually end up with either side breaking godmods law.

I use II, GE&T, NS, Factbooks

I'm enjoying it currently though

I would say I'm better than most posters on II due to there being so many bad newbies, however my grammar is off, I do make the occasional mistake as well.

1.Creativity.
2.Detail.
3.Maturity.
4.Great characters.

I've been RPing for roughly 1 years.

Experimentation and studying other better RPers.

Get more mentors.

Try to invest in the writers workshop which Azura, Kylarnatia and Kyursia made.

Virana - generally one of the most pleasant and helpful people on this site with a decent sense of humour as well.
HUN-01

20:22 Kirav Normal in Akai is nightmare fuel in the rest of the world.
11:33 Jedoria Something convoluted is going on in Akai probably.
Transoxthraxia: I'm no hentai connoisseur, but I'm pretty sure Akai's domestic politics would be like, at least top ten most fucked up hentais"
18:26 Deusaeuri Let me put it this way, you're what would happen if Lovecraft decided to write political dystopian techno thriller
20:19 Heku tits has gone mental
20:19 Jakee >gone
05:48 Malay lol akai sounds lovely this time of never

Eslovakia
Ambassador

Founded: May 04, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Eslovakia » Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:19 pm

Military Operations RP's, Legislative level politics with corruption RP's, Espinoage RP's

MT

No

Variety. Most notably Birkaine, Estainia, Naacal and Itailian Maifias.

Closed

Open fluid interactions where the actions of players determine outcome

Wouldn't pariticapte in tech mixing RP's or with non-humans unless I have to because we're in the same region. Otherwise I avoid.

8.) Do you prefer gameplay stats, capped, or fluid?
Capped

Yes

GE&T and II

Enjoying it, always a large variety of RP's available and if not, theres always willing participants to join your RP.

New RP'ers to join more established regions to get a better feel on how to RP properly

Consider myself average because haven't always had the time to brush up on my RP skills but have been around good RPers to be able to RP properly

Detailed text, concise, on point, creative, capable of creating good plot twists and good writing structure.

4/5 Years. Never RP'd before NS.

Learning through my mistakes and being in the right region. Also being accepting to critique.

Not too familiar with to so would be silly of me to comment on that.

Nyet

Esper.net IRC. #Rostil, #Pardes_Elion and rarely #NSSanctuary

Birkaine, Estainia, Naacal and Belkaland.
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
Some good info on Sweden
Birkaine wrote:Idiots who are not only aware of their idiocy but hell bent on keeping it regardless of how much disruption they cause deserve to eat a dick
Birkaine wrote:How about we have a thread that's just about some guy getting a back alley handjob from a New Delhi whore but we write it in such technical and obtuse language that the mods won't notice? First one to get banned loses.

Birkaine wrote:Are you seriously trying to turn this into a conversation on whether or not you're a human?
2QTBSTR8 ~ oHai thar! ~ I'm Bisexual, for LGBT rights and this is how I live my life regardless of other peoples opinions.
If you support LGBT rights, feel free to add this to your signature ~~~ヾ(^∇^)

Krjder
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Krjder » Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:53 pm

1) What kind of RPs do you like? Social and civilian meeting ones

2) What tech levels do you generally prefer to use? MT

3) Do you think P/MT is a legitimate tag? No

I RP with mostly the same people
Romberg
Torrumbarry
Bengaria

5) Do you prefer your RPs open, semi-open, or closed? Semi open

6) Do you prefer to RP in set groups with concrete canons, or do you prefer more open, fluid interaction? Bit of both

7) Describe your thoughts on mixing tech level, and sapient non-humans in NS RP. I don't like it

8) Do you prefer gameplay stats, capped, or fluid? Fluid

9) Do you see merit in competitive war roleplaying? Yes

NS
F&NI

It's good

I am average. Not as good as some but I know I'm better than a few

14) What criteria do you use to define a good roleplayer? Nice long but easy following. Abides by the rules but is not a by the book person

15) How long have you been roleplaying? Did you RP before you joined NS? Never before

16) What most effectively helped you learn to RP on NS? People complained at me

17) In what ways do you think the mentor program could be better? More of them and if they found the bad RPers and helped them before everyone else gives them stick.

18) Do you have any suggestions for mentors? If so, who? Lamoni

Only Telegram

20) Who, if anyone, has been especially helpful to you as a roleplayer? Lamoni
Be polite, write diplomatically; even in a declaration of war one observes the rules of politeness.
-Otto Von Bismarck
Embassy App

Nation Type: Direct Democratic Federal Monarchy
Capital: Aastejk
Population: 480,670,500
Current Leadership:
-Emperor Anton IV
-Realm Chancellor Atsūjiri Gyēzashiri
Military:
-1,560,000 Active
-4,750,000 Reserves
Dutch teen, Roman Catholic, socially conservative, economically libertarian. Enjoys; hunting, classical & march music, history and debating.

The Ben Boys
Senator

Founded: Apr 16, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Ben Boys » Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:36 pm

1. What kind of RPs do you like?
Military and advenutre RPs, predominantly. I, like many on NS, am a military and history nerd.

2. What tech levels do you generally prefer to use?
Mostly FT, anything else is a rarity unless something strikes my fancy.

3. Do you think P/MT is a legitimate tag?
Yes

4. Do you tend to RP with the same people, or do you RP with a variety of people. Are you in an RP region, and if so, which? List any recent RP partners that are worth noting
I'm the founder/OP or the Third Uli War group, about four (soon to be five) players in a galactic war scenario. This is about 90% of my RPing, currently. Names as follow:
Ilasiano
N_S_U
Iron-Empire

5. Do you prefer your RPs open, semi-open, or closed?
Though I've been playing "closed" for awhile now, I have no real preference as long as everyone is on the same page.

6. Do you prefer to RP in set groups with concrete canons, or do you prefer more open, fluid interaction?
Fluidity is the lifeline of II, we are roleplaying as our own custom-made countries, after all. Concrete canon exist only in P2TM or in a very neat, organized manner in which everyone has a clear and concise idea about what is going on (Earth: Empires, for example).

7. Describe your thoughts on mixing tech level, and sapient non-humans in NS RP.
I'm an FT player, this stuff is practically my lifeblood. Though mixed-tech hasn't been too successful as of late, I'm seeing.

8. Do you prefer gameplay stats, capped, or fluid?
Fluid, usually, though it largely depends on the circumstance.

9. Do you see merit in competitive war roleplaying?
No, it's too much "he said-she said", a lot of it is disappointing, and it really destroys most semblance of story and characterization. I prefer to have "antagonistic" NPCs that I sic on other players for them to slaughter, and occasionally used by someone else against myself. Much more fun and no one tries to save their egos.

10. Do you use other NS RP forums (i.e. GE&T, F&NI, NSSPorts, NS), or do you solely use II? If so, list them.
NS and P2TM on occasion.

11. What do you think of II right now? Are you enjoying it? What do you like, and what don't you like?
Couldn't be better, though I'm not too find of some of the trends. A up until a few months ago, there seemed to be much more FT RPing and there was more of a "canon" going with the Milky Way map thread. Now it seems there is trending towards FanT and MT. The "gay wars" and "pony wars" are getting old fast, and are just like the old "slave wars": caricatures fighting each other. It's like adult swim but it's makes you cry out of hopelessness, not laughter.

12. What would you like to see change in II?
I can't control the trends, and to some extent I don't really want to. Other than the few nuances I listed above, everything is nice and smooth.

13. Do you consider yourself to be better or worse at roleplaying than most posters in International Incidents? Why?
When it comes to writing, I'd like to think I'm fairly strong, but my writing on here, with a few exceptions, is by no means representative of my writing skill. But a "better" or "worse" RPer? No, I'd say I just fit a certain style, like some people's style is pages a post, or a few lines.

14. What criteria do you use to define a good roleplayer?
Work well with others, be respectful, come up with a few original ideas, and participate.

15. How long have you been roleplaying? Did you RP before you joined NS?
Since 2009, been on NS since 2008. NS is what introduced me to this vast and incredible world of RPing, and suffice to say I can't find anything nearly as gratifying or fun as this. Look forward to doing it until the end of the decade on NS, even longer if I can.

16. What most effectively helped you learn to RP on NS?
Time. I started when I was fourteen, and I just needed to mature to become better.

17. In what ways do you think the mentor program could be better?
You guys are doing great from what I've seen: your helping new players get into the fray and the fact that you even made this survey is representative of your dedication to II.

18. Do you have any suggestions for mentors? If so, who?
Nope, keep doing what your doing.

19. Do you use internet relay chat, IRC, or similar messengers to communicate with RPers? If so, which?
No, I prefer TGs and the boards on NS.

20. Who, if anyone, has been especially helpful to you as a roleplayer?
Way back in the day (around 2010 or so) Miyager hosted a "steampunk Earth" thread. Though it was short lived, it got me out of my creative shell and got me thinking "outside the box" in terms of roleplaying. Ilasiano, who has been on here since 2010, has been a great influence and continues to show me new story paths and characterization threads. Since I surf the boards quite a bit, I read a lot so I'd have to say many (more than I could count) over the years can be attributed for me improving my style and venturing to new ways of having fun in II.
Last edited by The Ben Boys on Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Both Religion and science require a belief in God. For believers, God is in the beginning, and for physicists He is at the end of all considerations"-Max Planck

Packers Nation

Lolloh
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 15, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Lolloh » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:46 pm

Guerrilla insurgency ones that require quite some detail, or occupation RPs of the same quality

MT

Yes.

I just happen to RP with a certain group of people, though all sorts of people RP with me as well. And yes, I'm also in an RP Region called Latinia.

I believe that RPing should be open to all, though you should check on them first. (Semi-open)

Open and fluid. Flexibility is the key to the world.

I don't believe in mixing tech levels, but I fully endorse the sapient non-humans part.

Fluid.

Yes. It makes you think harder as you want to win; but you shouldn't go overboard.

I dabble a bit in Forum 7.

I like it, but I'm a bit annoyed because about a dozen nations want my destruction. I generally don't like poorly explained wars and one-liners.

No changes necessary. Honestly, I think I might accidentally godmod too much compared to others, since I'm not exactly familiar with 2013 tactics and strategy.

Intelligent, well-read, and fair.

About a year now. I haven't RPed unless it's been here.

Just reading the stickies and living through a few RPs.

Nothing really, since I'm not really aware of it.

Not really.

I have no idea what you just said.

Probably Inyourfaceistan, since he's helped me bring up everything to date.
15, Social Democrat, Brony
Population is 135 million, plus 3 million in the colonies
National Army: 400,000 active (500,000 reserve)
Air Force: 100,000 active (200,000 reserve)
Navy: 200,000 active (400,000 reserve)
National Guard: 270,000 (all reserve)
Police Corps: 320,000 (paramilitary)
TOTAL: 2,400,000 (5.2/1000 active,17.8/1000 total)

My Embassy Program
Rainbow Dash is the best Mane 6, so join the Dashery

Yalos
Minister

Founded: Aug 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Yalos » Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:08 pm

Space Operas, massive wars, intense human interactions, the works. RPs should be like good writing; they should make you think

I like to go FT, though I've yet to participate in a full, complete FT RP yet.

What, as in Post Modern Tech? I think it's fine, what else would you call it?

I'm still getting my bearings in the community, so I've yet to find any consistent RP partners.

Semi open- I want to meet new people, but I'd rather keep the godmodders and wankers out of it.

I like some fluidity, but I do understand the merit of having predetermined outcomes. Without them, an RP can become too competitive, too fast, and competition isn't necessarily good for an RP.

Love it. I want to see ships of the line bombarding modern battle tanks and such. Anyways, if it can allow for good fun, I say go for it.

I used to be on a site where all the battles were conducted with numbers, and it worked marvelously. However, things like NS tracker are just stupid as people can easily modify their stats. If you want to wank, at least have the decency to not use a calculator that's inherently flawed. I think that stats where you have to develop your economy and build up infrastructure and keep tabs on population happiness and army strengths can work, with dedicated people.

To some extent, but I see that more as a P2tm thing. II, not really.

None at the moment.

Love it.

I'd hate to come off as arrogant, but I feel that I put plenty of work into my writing, and I've read through some of the RPs where everything is either a one liner or an argument based OOC post, so I feel that I'm somewhere around the middle; too many amazing people.

Not wanking is a pretty good one; friendly and obviously puts effort into their posts, even if the posts aren't that great.

I used to be a 12 year old kid on the warrior cats RPs, but stopped when I stopped reading them. However, RPing always stuck with me, and I was a DND aficionado before finding NS.

I'm going to go ahead and give credit to where it's due; the lovely people at #NSLegion and #NSFT both helped me get much, much better, and hopefully will continue to do so.

I don't exactly know what this is to be honest, but I've never felt like I wanted to bother a mentor. Perhaps more mentors? I'm afraid of being a burden, that's all.

Uh...not really.

The NSFT mibbit channel.

Kyuria!!! and Kyrusia!!! (wow, their names are really similar), G-tech, The Nuclear Fist and Toishima, all the people on NSLegion, and...yeah.

Legokiller
Senator

Founded: Jan 21, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Legokiller » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:14 pm

Pretty much character rps, big events, and adventures

Magic, well Fantasy since you can become more creative with spells, people, and escape "realism" for fun entertainment. Besides that, just MT.

Yes

Same people really

Semi-open to closed usually.

Open

Pretty much opens a unique way of telling stores, and I'm cool with non-humans in RPs. Heck I rp sapience ponies and other non-humans.

8 ) Do you prefer gameplay stats, capped, or fluid?
Capped.

I care more about the story than "I win" nonsense.

GE&T, Mainly NS, and F&NI.

To be honest, abit difficult for me to find and play good quality rps that allows magic and non-humans.

No Data Available

If we're talking about quality of my roleplaying skills, I'm lacking at military experience and the biggest small offender is grammar. Why, since it has been a problem in my entire rping history! Otherwise, I don't know.

Good story telling, interesting characters, helpful, and fun to hang around.

I thing at least one year or two.

Get horribly embarrassed and getting beaten by a stick from bad posts lol.

It's helpful.

Nope

Of course, Rizon on #nscops .

Crystal Spires
Last edited by Legokiller on Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
❄️☃️ Antarctica Wonderland ! ☃️❄️

Silverdale's Factbook! Poi Poi Poi Resurrected! Silverdale News Thread
<Maven>Legokiller's an original "G" with mirrors and changelings before it was cool <AnimeQuote> Taiga Aisaka is Gandhi.

Romberg
Senator

Founded: Mar 15, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Romberg » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:24 pm

Character RPs, smale-scale conflicts, diplomacy, trade etc.

MT

Kind of

I hope to RP with a variety of people. Not in an RP region, but outside of II I'm close to Astyria.

Semi-open or closed.

In between, so that there's freedom to develop the canon, but with a preset or near-preset conclusion.

Mixing tech level: try not to, especially in war RPs.
Sapient non-humans: whatever, as long as they are RP in a balanced way.

Capped.

Yes, although it's better to have a predefined outcome of the war first.

Everything apart from Sports.

Meh. Got cool RPs, but I personally think there are too many full-scale wars going on. Also, many established RPs still in action means it's difficult to join, while new RPs may have quality issues. But there are gems in there.

Nothing much.

Average. I can do some military stuff, but I'm not as advanced to go onto the squad level or detail every movement.

Clarity of writing, conciseness of events and details well-balanced, interesting storyline, cooperativeness and communication with other RPers OOCly to reach a conclusion.

Since I joined NS. And no, I started when I joined NS.

Background research on the subject matter.

Be more proactive in guiding new RPers and poor RPers on how to do it properly.

Good job. All of you.

No.

Not really "especially".
Proud Member of Astyria.

Info: Population 150 mil. Centrist. Based on a much more competent Austrian Empire with Scandinavian and Russian influences.

Storefronts: Holding Company|Airline|Railway

Pan Asian Amercian Coalition
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 01, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Pan Asian Amercian Coalition » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:30 pm

Either one character, story driven or large scale conflicts.

Modern Tech/ Near Future

I don't even know what PMT is, I think it's Post-Modern Tech but could be Pre Modern.

I'll Keep my RP partners confidential, but I RP with a group of people and only a few of them are in more than one.

Closed

More open interaction following a general plot.

Sapient Non-Humans are Fine. Mixing tech is a bad thing to do, unless you base it on an existing universe, like Attack on Titan.

Fluid

Sort of.

I don't keep track of these sort of things.

???

???

Haven't spent much time there, so I wouldn't know.

The 'Mini Skirt' Analogy: Long enough to cover every thing that needs to, short enough to stay interesting. Intricate detailing and unique characters, along with creativity.

Several years, mostly just playing around with my friends at school. I've RP'd since 5th grade, so I've been RPing for nearly 6 years, and my NS account is less than a year old.

Experience. That's why people have seen me make phenomenally bad decisions.

We have one of those?

Explain ALL ABBREVATIONS. RP, IRC, PMT, BBQ, ALL OF THEM!

No.

No-one, sadly.
"Scientia viam libertatis "...................................................................................... ///I take my realism with cream and sugar///
MT/Near Future. Mechs, Railguns, Jet VTOLs, Etc.
Factbook under construction. Nat'l Anthem
Humanist Demi-Socialist Technocractic Militant Democracy. Quite a mouthfull, ain't it?
The End of Oil.------Tank otaku. Panzer is my passion!
XCOM Alphabet
Rupudska wrote:
Pan Asian Amercian Coalition wrote:Nice to see that this is back.

You are impressively slow.

GHawkins
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 09, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby GHawkins » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:39 am

Conflict RPs on a tactical scale (squads/platoons/other small units), conflicts on the strategic scale (regiments, divisions, etcetera), political/diplomatic, espionage, to name a few. There's not a lot I (think I) can't RP.

PT, MT (mixed with some PMT tech at times).

Yes. It shows the "grey zone" between what is MT (the current tech) and the FT (tech that we don't know will ever exist).

I usually RP with the same people, because I got to know these and their qualities. Though I don't hesitate to join in other RPs (which resulted in me finding those people I now RP with). I am in an RP region, which is Astyria. And Neu Engollon (with puppets) and Nu Sparta are RPers I have recently RP'd with that are really worth mentioning.

I prefer Semi-open RPs. There are always players outside of the group you RP with that are interested and have the qualities to join the RP. However, these must first be proven and to keep up the quality of entire topic not everyone should be allowed to join. That's why I'm for the regulation of semi-open.

Sometimes, a canon is required to even begin the RP, there must be a goal to RP to. However, up until now, every RP has turned into an open and fluid interaction, where logic consequences are RP'd instead of trying to stick to what had been agreed to be a story.

I consider this possible only when all parties involved have agreed and are aware that there will be a mix of tech/non-humans. It can provide very interesting story lines if there are setbacks in technology or an MT nation agrees to attempt to fight off an invasion of an alien species. Though it all comes down to mutual agreement and the ability to mix the tech up, as to prevent claims of godmodding or similar disagreements.

Gameplay stats are something I rarely accept, because I feel that they are inflated beyond realistic proportions (realism is a given for me in most RPs, or when realism can't be achieved in for example FT, a realistic approach to the matter). Through logic thinking, common sense and a good dose of realism, you usually set the boundaries. These boundaries are caps, but aren't necessarily a thing that's set. For example, there's a certain amount of soldiers a nation's armed forces would be able to field. Setting that as the maximum you'll use is basically capping yourself. But, a nation wouldn't always have an army that's filled up to the cap, but usually lower because.. well, what's the sense of having one when there's no war to fight? And the increase/decrease of the number below the cap is what I consider fluid. This basically goes for all stats where I like to apply a certain cap, but remain fluidly below it as part of realism.

Unless everyone involved in competitive war RPing is aware what the full extend of competitive means, no. I know from experience, and from what I read, that losing isn't fun and for many players a hard thing to do and accept. But competitive RP will always result in arguments if neither side will lose. For it to be competitive, both (or more) players will need to accept defeats in order for it to work. And until someone accepting defeat has become the standard and is no longer the exception, will competitive war RP in my eyes fail. Though I have to note, that I base this off my own observations and experiences. I do not read every topic and it might just be that I pick out the ones where both parties are incapable of losing.

I use GE&T and F&NI besides II. However, I have no problem jumping into NS, it's just never happened before that I have to use that section. NSSports is something I doubt I'll participate in, since it's simply out of my interest zone.

I enjoy the RP I have with the group I learned to know. However, I will admit honestly, most of II makes me rather sad. I do enjoy it because, it is after all the section where I do my RP. However, when I browse through other topics, I find topics that are in my opinion good to be scarce. One-liner posts appear to prevail and there is a lot of mixing OOC and IC. I have a strong drive for story and realism and I see a lot of "I participate because I can" and not "I participate because my nation/organization/character/etc has a reason to". Also, the enormously inflated numbers I encounter nearly every time, with millions of forces and thousands of ships, kind of break it for me. As a nation that's capped and RPs with fluid numbers based on what is required, it simply eliminates my ability to participate in a lot of RPs because there is no way I can even get close to what the inflated nations bring to the table. The largest navy on real life Earth us the USN with 290~ ships. I set myself above it and yet I still get outnumbered by the hundreds of aircraft carriers, thousands of cruisers and the like. I am aware that not everyone confines itself to the realism and constraint I put myself to. However, that there's so many players that don't put me off.

However, what I do like is that there are several communities that contribute to II and make it worth while. Multi-paragraph posts with details usually, in my eye, already look a lot better than one-liners, because there's a real story value behind it and not just simply playing because you can.

One change I'd like is out of reach though I can nonetheless state it; The near disappearance of one-liner posts and the sometimes complete godmodding that accompanies it.

The change that I think could be reached is that there is a more present, active encouragement to stop one-liner posts and go more into detail.

I consider myself better than most posters in II. Roleplaying for me is the creation of a story and the details that contribute to it. I am able to write in detail and about a broad range of situations without paying in quality. I am of the mind that there are sadly a lot of people that do not have this mindset for RP and purely do it for the OOC glory, as far as there's any to achieve. There are no doubt people better than me, but my drive to also improve myself makes me think, at least of myself if I may be bold, that I am better.

Quality: The ability to create a story with details that make it a joy to read. This usually comes down to English skill and writing skills.

Imagination: The ability to think up that story and tune it to the other's involved in the RP. Being able to make clear what you're trying to say and understanding what someone else has written.

Adaptability: The ability to adapt to what others post in the RP, even when they don't go according to the plan one had previously thought up.

Cooperation: Listening to the other players involved in the RP and being able to work out the differences

I have been roleplaying for about 7 years now. I have long RP'd since before I even heard of NS. The first was very basic and a modification of the game ArmA in 2007. I kept improving myself and moved onto more advanced RP on a dedicated RP server for the game GTA San Andreas, where I still play to this day (since 2009). Since then, I have also picked up small story-writing, which I also still do non-NS related and of course on NS.

Since I already had 6-7 years experience in roleplaying, it was the experience that really helped me. Beyond that, the guides on the forums posted have also been a great help to understanding the basics of NS and how things work around here. The rest came in due time.

I am currently unaware of mentors already do this, so feel free to ignore this entirely. But how I think the mentor program could be better is by having mentors seek out those that they think require help and would listen. A new player posting bad posts is something that could be morphed into a player that really understands how it works. However, these don't always ask for help. Mentors must realize this is a new player that can be helped and offer their help. That way, I think the mentor program would touch more people and thus help more towards the improvement of NS, as well as the individual players.

Beyond what I wrote above, none.

Yes, I use IRC, which I recently started promoting more within the region I am in and is now more actively populated. It helps plan for our RPs and simply getting to know each other a bit better, always makes for a more pleasant RP.

Neu Engollon for sure. He's the person who initially accepted me into an RP of his even though I was totally new and eventually, we ended up RPing several more things together for more than half a year now. He's also the one that got me into my current region and introduced me to some awesome RPers in it as well.
Last edited by GHawkins on Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

New Frenco Empire
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 14, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby New Frenco Empire » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:46 am

Any kind, really. Though, anything with military, espionage, internal strife, or anything else violent is good for me.

PMT, specifically a later PMT that includes plasma weapons, mass-produced power armor, highly efficient short-range space travel, excessive use of artificial intelligence, etc.

Sure, why not?

Depends. I have a limited canon universe, which is currently populated by me and 4 other players. I will RP outside my canon, though.

Semi-open or closed.

Both. I prefer to set concrete canons through roleplays.

It can be disastrous when FT nations go against MT nations or anything. I can see the futuristic players wanking all to hell, while the less-advanced player has to take it. Though, it can work out with enough cooperation. For example, I (a late PMT nation) am currently RPing with a Desert Storm-era nation, and we haven't started OOC arguments yet based on it. I've balanced myself out well enough, imo.

Non-humans are non-humans. I have some in my universe. Essentially, it just goes down to RP preference. In my experience, most nations would recognize non-humans, while others won't. If you don't want to recognize non-humans, don't join an RP with a nation notorious for having them.

Gameplay stats show, if only a little, what the priorities of your nation is. I won't use them solely, just as a brief overview. Other than that, fluid.

Not overly competitive. If you're just RPing to be better than another, you aren't going to cooperate, and cooperation is key in II.

F&NI constantly, GE&T occasionally.

I enjoy it. Nice way to put your nations to work. No complaints, really.

It suits it's purpose well enough.

Better, if I may be so arrogant. The majority of RPs I've seen on here...meh.

A cooperative player that isn't afraid to sacrifice for plot's sake. I also enjoy descriptive, yet brief roleplayers who can type up posts several paragraphs long.

I've been writing stories before I roleplayed. Since I structure my roleplay not unlike a novel, it helped.

Watching other people and reading books.

I haven't used it enough to say.

N/A

No, just TGs and OOC threads/

Gigaverse has shown me a thing or two. I should also mention Themiclesia for actually nudging me towards this whole ordeal. The Soodean Imperium has taught me a thing or two about cooperation due to our RPing experiences. Overall, I also need to give it up to Ardavia. We use each other for practice in our own terrible personal RPs. :lol2:
Last edited by New Frenco Empire on Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
NEW FRENCO EMPIRE

Transferring information from disorganized notes into presentable factbooks is way too time consuming for a procrastinator. Just ask if you have questions.
Plutocratic Evil Empire™ situated in a post-apocalyptic Decopunk North America. Extreme PMT, yet socially stuck in the interwar/immediate post-war era, with Jazz music and flapper culture alongside nanotechnology and Martian colonies. Tier I power of the Frencoverse.

Las Palmeras wrote:Roaring 20s but in the future and with mutants

Alyakia wrote:you are a modern poet
Top Hits of 2132! (Imperial Public Radio)
Coming at you from Fort Orwell! (Imperial Forces Network)

The Soodean Imperium
Senator

Founded: May 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Soodean Imperium » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:51 am

- Military incidents/interventions.

- Somewhat early MT (1980-2000).

- No. Take PMT; it varies from "10 years from now" to "FT, but no warp travel," and it really hurts to step into a battle expecting to fight an upgraded Abrams and instead get a cloaked, shielded mech with a nuke launcher. Some players are very good about handicapping themselves in other areas to make up for the tech advantage, but most will just techspam you to oblivion, so I have to vote no.

- I tend to RP with a variety of people, though I appreciate it when an old ally or enemy shows up. I am in an RP region (the Grand Coalition) but it's relatively small and new. Two RPers worth noting (in spite of the fact that we're IC enemies)
- The Rebel Alliances
- New Frenco Empire

- Semi-open. Helps filter out the bad players while letting in the good ones.

- Fluid interaction is better, so long as there are ways to stop threadjacking and godmodding.

- Some level of tech mixing is all right, so long as it remains balanced (see my PMT-MT post above).
- I'm fine with sapient non-humans as long as they're human-ish (i.e., Elves and cat-people but not talking dogs and cartoon ponies).

- I don't like NSTracker, but I still think that if you're going to change your stats, you must keep it to a reasonable margin.

- I can tolerate it, but I'd prefer battles where the outcome is decided beforehand and they players RP towards that general end. Even I sometimes fall into the trap of bending probability so I can win.

- I use F&NI frequently, but I don't think I've posted on any of the others.

- I like II right now, mostly because it's a good place for me to work on my writing, but I'm still dissatisfied by the flood of poor RPing.

- Maybe a moderation-like system: players report what they think is a godmod, threadjack, or poorly written post, and a mentor can show up to give advice on how to improve. Experienced players sometimes do this now, but it's easy for the accused to dismiss them as biased.

- Better. I have a respectable amount of military-realism knowledge, I keep a level head about disagreements, and I avoid godmod like the plague. Plus, several players have complemented me on my writing, which is nice.

The list is long, but I'll try to summarize its important parts here:
- i) Level-headedness. Even if they're a warlord IC, they don't argue, flame, insult, and belittle other players in OOC interaction.
- ii) Realism. They're willing to make mistakes and take losses, avoid godmods, and use an acceptable level of realism.
- iii) Writing skill. They make detailed and consistent posts, use character development, and have acceptable spelling/grammar.
- iv) Self-Limitation. If they have an unfair advantage, they're willing to reduce their strength a little to give the other side a chance.

- About 6 months. I didn't RP before I joined NS, though I did a lot of writing on the side.

- I can't say for sure. In my first RP, half the players were responsible and half bordered on godmod, and seeing the interactions between them I was able to pick up on what's right and wrong. The advice/consultation threads helped a little, but they're either very basic or very advanced.

- It needs to be more active and visible. Many new players don't visit the advice pages or consult mentors, if they're even aware they exist.

- No suggestions as of now. I'd suggest myself, but that seems way too narcissistic for my taste.

- I use OOC threads frequently and telegrams occasionally, but rarely use anything off of NS.

- Most of the people I RPed with early on were as new as I was; by the time I met the really experienced players, I had already caught on to the basic etiquette. I will include Blakullar though - I made a puny, desperate attack on them in my first RP, and they reported a direct hit to their flagship. That taught me a lot about the importance of reporting losses instead of assuming superiority. Though, I'm not sure if the rest of their posts were as good.
Last harmonized by Hu Jintao on Sat Mar 4, 2006 2:33pm, harmonized 8 times in total.

"In short, when we hastily attribute to aesthetic and inherited faculties the artistic nature of Athenian civilization, we are almost proceeding as did men in the Middle Ages, when fire was explained by phlogiston and the effects of opium by its soporific powers." --Emile Durkheim, 1895
Come join Septentrion!
ICly, this nation is now known as the Socialist Republic of Menghe (대멩 사회주의 궁화국, 大孟社會主義共和國). You can still call me Soode in OOC.

United World Order
Senator

Founded: Jun 16, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby United World Order » Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:09 pm

Political, Military, spy situations.
MT
Sometimes.

variety of peeps i know.

semi open. To filter out the one liners from the actual rpers.

If im in a region or with a roleplayer i plan on having extensive history with then cannon. Otherwise im fluid

Im okay with mixing aslong as it fits with the story.

Gameplay stats.

If its fair and theres no bs. Sure.

I use GE&T for getting hardware my nation doesnt have.

Too many one liner rps. There is still hope though.

I dunno.

in the middle.

detailed posts. Good cooperation with others.

Good four years. Two on NS and two on other sites.

other roleplayers.

There alright as they are now.

Nada.

IRC.

Anagonia, Milograd, Alot of the NSSanc crew.

Hyperion
Minister

Founded: Mar 28, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Hyperion » Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:41 pm

1) What kind of RPs do you like? Disease Outbreak and Colonization RP's

2) What tech levels do you generally prefer to use? Modern Technology (MT)

3) Do you think P/MT is a legitimate tag? Yes

4) Do you tend to RP with the same people, or do you RP with a variety of people. Are you in an RP region, and if so, which? List any recent RP partners that are worth noting. I enjoy roleplaying with varieties, but there is area people I enjoy specifically, Slipspacia, New Emphillion, Volvek

5) Do you prefer your RPs open, semi-open, or closed? Open

6) Do you prefer to RP in set groups with concrete canons, or do you prefer more open, fluid interaction? I prefer when interaction is left to happen as it does, with principles but not overpowering the interaction.

I believe differing tech levels in a roleplay set dominantly as one level leads to chaos and eventual God Modding. One tech level is fine. As for non human sapients, I think they're fine, even in a MT.

8) Do you prefer gameplay stats, capped, or fluid? Fluid.

9) Do you see merit in competitive war roleplaying? Yes, its fun and allows us to show our skills and military knowledge, because if you have 8x the military but no knowledge you can still lose.

10) Do you use other NS RP forums (i.e. GE&T, F&NI, NSSPorts, NS), or do you solely use II? If so, list them. F&NI, GE&T

Internationall Incidents has gotten abit trashy. Its not that easy to enjoy since now, it's mostly empty one liners, tons of grammar failures in OP and posts, lack of skill, and old concepts that went out of fashion for a reason. I don't enjoy much other than the occasional detailed RP.

12) What would you like to see change in II?Less 1 liners, more knowledge, more ability and capability to roleplay, basic understanding of mobilization, preparation, etc.

13) Do you consider yourself to be better or worse at roleplaying than most posters in International Incidents? Why? I consider myself at about the same level as the majority of role players who don't pull of 1 liners,

14) What criteria do you use to define a good roleplayer? They have details, motives, back stories, jokes, and personalities all made. A good roleplayer will seperste into paragraphs and avoid huge blocks of text.

15) How long have you been roleplaying? Did you RP before you joined NS? I've roleplayed for about 5 years, so longer than I've played NS, although I did join NS to role play.

16) What most effectively helped you learn to RP on NS? Guides, but mostly active help from others, as well as time and reading other actual roleplays. Guides and actual roleplays are effective, even just reading a role play, as it shows you how to interact and respond to events.

17) In what ways do you think the mentor program could be better? Keep mentors of II those who actually still participate in II. They're useless really if they don't help out in the field they're a mentor of. Don,t get me wrong, I appreciate the work, I mean people who are mentors of II or NSSports and haven't even done a roleplay or posted there in a month.

18) Do you have any suggestions for mentors? If so, who? No

19) Do you use internet relay chat, IRC, or similar messengers to communicate with RPers? If so, which? No

20) Who, if anyone, has been especially helpful to you as a roleplayer? Slipspacia, Neo-Assyrian Empire
Exchange Rate: Hypernote
2.55 H$= 1 N$ = 2 USD
Unemployment: 9%
GPD/Capita: H$ 8,930
Debt: H$ -416,215,102
Details:
http://www.nstracker.net/hyperion&page=economics
Total: 2,080,205
Land: 1,337,700
Navy: 205,800
Airforce: 514,500
Budget: 20%
Details:http://www.nstracker.net/hyperion&page=military
Tax: 29%
Population: 1.029 Billion
Animal: Colossal Squid
Industry: Pizza Delivery
Currency: Hyper-Note
Leader: J Humble
http://www.nstracker.net/hyperion
Administration: 2%
Welfare: 12%
Education: 22%
Defence: 20%
Public Transport: 9%
Environment: 22%
Not listed? We don't fund it.
Help get my new Issue "One Nation under Who?" ready for a send off!

NSG's Atheist Man Child
Married to Sanguinea

StellarGate
Minister

Founded: Feb 18, 2011
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby StellarGate » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:23 pm

I love character RPs, as developing a character is much more interesting than moving around large fleets and just doing battles.

Future Tech, FT. I would probably do more PMT, but it doesn't seem to be that big of thing.

If the RPers are good at Rping, then yes, any good RPer should be able to negate his/her technology to appoint were it doesn't overpower your opponent unless both agree on something.

Same people... erm person mostly. I do tend to attract a lot of United Kingdom IN SPACE! nations when the first start out, but most have died out. I always try to have at least two different RPs going at once so I don't get too bored.

The person I RP with the most is Terra Reborn.

Closed. I like RPing between two people, it allows for greater communication between both parties and isn't subject to random disruptions of an entering RPer or something not going write when a new player is introduced.

Most of my RPs are concrete canon since most have been done with out one RPer(Terra Reborn) and have steadily progressed from out first meeting to now.

If you can do it and make it work and read nice, then sure go ahead. Know yourself out. Same goes for sapient non-humans.

fluid. COnsidering I use FT all the time, no tracker is going to be accurate.

meh, no, but I don't really like RPing war so...

I use to go into F&NI oftten, but now I only go to amuse myself. II is my main forum.

I personally love II. The RPing I do here has helped improve my writing skills, get me a few new friends, and given me hours of enjoyment writing posts and telling stories with another person.

maybe sub-forums for PT/FanT/MT/PMT/ FT, and have crossover tech RPs sort of floating outside the subforums. But that's not big thing.

I consider myself about average. I make mistakes, some posts are short, and a few of my characters are Mary-Sue, but I try not to god-mod unless my RP partner allows it.

Self-Limitation~ is a big thing with me. having an unfair advantage over you opponent you can wither dumb down your own side for the sake of the RP, or work out something with others is important
Writing skills~ How does the post look? Is is a big block of text that hurts the eyes? Is it well spaced with few errors?
Communication skills~ This is highly important to a successful RP. A person has to be able to communicate successfully with others to plan an RP and make sure the plot runs smoothy.
and a bunch of other things I can't think of. D:

For a good bit of my life I know that. I started RPing back when the second series of the Warrior Cat books were coming out. And that was way before I found NS. So yeah, I did RP before NS.

Just jumping in a seeing what happened. I already knew how to write RPs, I was a good story writer, so learning how everything worked was just by jumping in. It didn't take me long to catch on.

I honestly have no idea. I never needed their help and don't look at what they do often. '^^ sorry.

Nope. Nothing here.

I just use TG to message my partners since we live in different time zones (Across an ocean actually, though if I really needed to, I could use FB.)

Terra Reborn especially.

My nation, the Royal Cresian Empire, wasn't really doing anything til I started an RP with him. I almost dropped that first RP a couple of times, but Terra always politely bumped the RP, never complaining about my lack of posting and we finally finished it together. He's helped me flesh out so many parts of my Empire that I've had floating around in my head and I've hopefully done the same for him.

The rest, they say. is history.
FT nation- Royal Cresian Empire
Dogmeat wrote:
Skunkylon wrote:There are only 2 genders

3 genders for the Drag Queens, under the sky
7 for the Gay Lords, in their Hall of Techno
9 for Lesbians, doomed to own cats
1 for the Incel Lord on his internet throne.
New Aerios wrote:If Atheism is a religion, off is a TV channel.
How to become an Admin

The Legion of War
Minister

Founded: Oct 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Legion of War » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:28 am

Respectful, open minded, and helpful people.

FT all the way for me!

Yep.

I don't RP a whole lot but when I do it's usually a new bunch of people. There's only a few people I can say I've RPed with a few times.

I prefer MINE to be open, with a sign up process, because I don't know a whole bunch. Or is that sign up process considered semi-open?

I prefer more open fluid interaction because I can't always be on NS forging out concrete canon.

I find it hard to mix PT, MT, PMT, and FT without turning one into the other. However I do have some issues with FanT and FT. Mainly because of the whole Magic vs Technology thing.

Sapient non humans are alright if they are aliens on the FT scene. I'm a little iffy with sapient ponies being part of the "canon" of my nation but if it happens it happens.

Stats? Like the ones in the actual game? Leave them as they are.

Yes, it helps create a nation's history.

I go on NS sometimes, and Portal to the Multiverse, but that's about it.

II is pretty fun, mainly because I like the RP aspect of it. What I don't like is that the FT threads get swamped by all the MT threads, but that's to be expected.

Maybe a tag system for treads so you can filter what you see? I know there's always search but not everyone puts the tech level of a thread in the title.

Maybe better, but not because of skill. I just try and write detailed posts. I see a lot of MT nations posting one paragraph posts that can be best summed up as "our leader after blah has decided to send x amount of troops, y amount of ships, and z about of fighters to assist/attack the aly/enemy".

But that's only what I've seen. The standard might be much higher and I could be below it.

Attention to detail, character development, takes time with posts.

I wrote some fan fiction on another board before joining, and we had some RPs going on there. I'd say I've been RPing for about two years, but not very actively.

The guides from the II guide index.

Not sure, haven't really used it much.

Maybe offer to RP/ give advice if you see a somewhat interesting new nation? They might be too shy to ask?

Esper.net, but I've only used it twice.

The guys at the FT Advice Thread, but the advice has been more "tech" based with RP effects as a consequence.
Last edited by The Legion of War on Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
IC Stuff:
This nation does NOT represent my real life views.
The FT Nation Index, making it easier for FT players to connect.

OCC Stuff:
Pro: Everything you hate
Con: Everything you love
Info: Straight Hispanic Male, Canadian. Speaks fluent Spanish and English, and some French. If you speak French, I'd love to have someone to practice with, even if it is just typing. Same deal with Spanish.

Breheim
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Breheim » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:36 am

1) What kind of RPs do you like? Anything

2) What tech levels do you generally prefer to use? Mixture of MT and FanT

3) Do you think P/MT is a legitimate tag? Yes

4) Do you tend to RP with the same people, or do you RP with a variety of people. Are you in an RP region, and if so, which? List any recent RP partners that are worth noting Recently, with the same people because I can't be arsed to find new ones. For recent RP partners worth noting: Allanea, Crystal Spires, Urmanian, Menelmacar, Malgrave. Probably some I forgot to mention.

5) Do you prefer your RPs open, semi-open, or closed? Closed or semi-open

6) Do you prefer to RP in set groups with concrete canons, or do you prefer more open, fluid interaction? Either works. Not much of a preference one way or the other.

7) Describe your thoughts on mixing tech level, and sapient non-humans in NS RP. As long as its well thought out, I'm for it.

8) Do you prefer gameplay stats, capped, or fluid? Fluid

9) Do you see merit in competitive war roleplaying? Don't really enjoy it myself, but to each his own.

10) Do you use other NS RP forums (i.e. GE&T, F&NI, NSSPorts, NS), or do you solely use II? If so, list them. F&NI, NS and occasionally GE&T

11) What do you think of II right now? Are you enjoying it? What do you like, and what don't you like? No real opinion on the matter.

14) What criteria do you use to define a good roleplayer? Good characterisation, good humour and interesting setting.

15) How long have you been roleplaying? Did you RP before you joined NS? About three years, and no

16) What most effectively helped you learn to RP on NS? Jumping in heads first and not looking back.

17) In what ways do you think the mentor program could be better? No idea.

18) Do you have any suggestions for mentors? If so, who? Not really, don't read enough RPs I'm not involved in to say. From my limited knowledge, I'd say Crystal Spires

19) Do you use internet relay chat, IRC, or similar messengers to communicate with RPers? If so, which? Yes. Rizon.

20) Who, if anyone, has been especially helpful to you as a roleplayer? Crystal Spires, mainly, as well as pretty much anyone I RP with.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents