NATION

PASSWORD

RPing Questions? Ask Here!

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Roski
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Roski » Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:13 am

Summerset Plains wrote:Yeah i have a question,so when in the international incidents a nation says something about another nation (like a war for independence),so is there a formal invitation to the thread,are they the same guy? who are they?

How do you mean?
I'm some 17 year old psuedo-libertarian who leans to the left in social terms, is fiercly right economically, and centrist in foriegn policy. Unapologetically Pro-American, Pro-NATO, even if we do fuck up (a lot). If you can find real sources that disagree with me I will change my opinion. Call me IHOP cause I'm always flipping.

Follow my Vex Robotics team on instagram! @3921a_vex

I am the Federal Republic of Roski. I have a population slightly over 256 million with a GDP of 13.92-14.25 trillion. My gross domestic product increases each year between .4%-.1.4%. I have a military with 4.58 million total people, with 1.58 million of those active. My defense spending is 598.5 billion, or 4.2% of my Gross Domestic Product.

Summerset Plains
Spokesperson

Founded: May 11, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Summerset Plains » Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:20 am

Like, If i said (you) were oppressing (us) so we declared war on you for independence, would i be a puppet nation or another player who was invited?
RPGers wrote:
Nord Amour wrote:Bump

Don't bump after three minutes

Lubyak
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Lubyak » Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:09 am

Summerset Plains wrote:Like, If i said (you) were oppressing (us) so we declared war on you for independence, would i be a puppet nation or another player who was invited?

You would be you....I'm not sure I understand the issue. If you wanted to RP your nation breaking off from another one, you would play you, and then you can choose whether the nation you're breaking off from is run by another player, you, or whatever you want.

Heirosoloa
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 21, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Heirosoloa » Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:54 am

Summerset Plains wrote:Like, If i said (you) were oppressing (us) so we declared war on you for independence, would i be a puppet nation or another player who was invited?

To clarify what Lubyak said, that depends on what you have on hand.

If you have a willing friend, you can certainly set up a thread saying that your nation is declaring independence from theirs. You'd just need to establish that with the other player beforehand, through TG. If you don't have a willing sacrifice, you can instead create a fictional ("puppet") nation and just roleplay as both the nation declaring independence or the parent nation--you could create a whole other account for the other nation, but if it's just for a single thread then generally that just adds complication.

What you cannot do is announce that you're declaring independence from another player nation without consulting them first, and you certainly can't roleplay as their nation once you've done that. If you do post a thread that involves another player's nation without consulting them first, they have the right to completely ignore your thread and anything that happens in it. Roleplaying is about cooperation and communication, and if you're not willing to partake in those you'll be ostracized pretty quickly.

Libraria and Ausitoria
Negotiator

Founded: May 30, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Libraria and Ausitoria » Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:35 pm

I would like to request some advice on a delicate OOC matter please.

I have for the first time found it appropriate to cast out another RPer and his nation (let's call it nation X) from my nation's continuity, to bring my own continuity in line with that of my region, of which some members suppose they have at least partially defeated X at an earlier time, and several others (including myself) consider X to have impossible weapons of war. X has responded by stating that they will suppose that my nation has been (diplomatically) defeated. I have already pointed out that this is not how retconning works, but clearly X intends to copy my nation into their cannon and then RP to what X considers to be a satisfactory conclusion.

Therefore, being a true believer in equality in the eyes of the law, I am currently entertaining the idea of creating a puppet nation designed to be exactly similar to X except with all of the impossibilities and inaccuracies removed, to bring the RP to what I consider to be a satisfactory conclusion. Would it be considered plagiarism (and an offence) if I copied large parts of the nation, and would it be considered impersonation (and an offence) if I duplicated the essence of the information and passed off the puppet as the correct version?
Last edited by Libraria and Ausitoria on Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Aestorian Commonwealth - Pax Prosperitas - Gloria in Maere - (Factbook)

Disclaimer: Notwithstanding any mention of their nations, Ausitoria and its canon does not exist nor impact the canon of many IFC & SACTO & closed-region nations; and it is harassment to presume it does. However in accordance with my open-door policy the converse does not apply: they still impact Ausitoria's canon.
○ Commonwealth Capital (Bank) ○ ○ Commonwealth Connect (Bank Treaty) ○ ○ SeaScape (Shipping & Energy) ○
(██████████████████████████████║║◙█[Θ]█]◙◙◙◙◙[█]

Santheres
Game Moderator

Founded: Apr 29, 2005
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Santheres » Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:33 pm

Libraria and Ausitoria wrote:I would like to request some advice on a delicate OOC matter please.

I have for the first time found it appropriate to cast out another RPer and his nation (let's call it nation X) from my nation's continuity, to bring my own continuity in line with that of my region, of which some members suppose they have at least partially defeated X at an earlier time, and several others (including myself) consider X to have impossible weapons of war. X has responded by stating that they will suppose that my nation has been (diplomatically) defeated. I have already pointed out that this is not how retconning works, but clearly X intends to copy my nation into their cannon and then RP to what X considers to be a satisfactory conclusion.

Therefore, being a true believer in equality in the eyes of the law, I am currently entertaining the idea of creating a puppet nation designed to be exactly similar to X except with all of the impossibilities and inaccuracies removed, to bring the RP to what I consider to be a satisfactory conclusion. Would it be considered plagiarism (and an offence) if I copied large parts of the nation, and would it be considered impersonation (and an offence) if I duplicated the essence of the information and passed off the puppet as the correct version?

I would not do this. If you do copy then yes, it is blatantly plagiarism. Whether or not it is moddable-offense plagiarism I will leave to mods to decide, but it is plagiarism in my eyes as a writer. This is most definitely not the correct approach. If you are retconning, then retcon. Don't create a puppet clone of a nation you're retconning to fill in the gap - if you want to keep the same general history, then create a puppet of your own design to take the place. Most aspects of the nation are likely not relevant so why you would even think to copy them, I have no idea.

Don't do it, plain and simple.

Retcon the entire thing in full, or design a new nation to fill in the history. To avoid unnecessary OOC drama, don't even attempt to make a nation similar to the one you're replacing.

Edit: And you don't need to make an NS nation to do this. That's just pointless. Fill in your history in your factbook or on iiwiki, or whatever it is you do, and leave gameplay puppets out of it.
Last edited by Santheres on Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:: Absolutely Orwellian :: Positively Kafkaesque ::
:: Undeviatingly the Year of Our Lord Nineteen Hundred and Eighty-Four ::
:: IIWiki :: The Local Cluster (FT) :: NSFT Community Discord :: IIWiki Community Discord
Up on the housetop Santhbots pause;
Peace torn apart by steely claws!
Does it bring gifts of fun and games?
Nay, 'tis the king of acid rains!
Where can we flee from Santhbot's path?
No place is sheltered from his wrath!
Cyborg horror of the skies,
Flee! Save your children! Santhbot rides!
Proprietor of IIwiki :: santh dot ns, gmail for any iiwiki inquiries (and only iiwiki inquiries)
NS RP Community Manager - my TGs are open for RP community management/moderation purposes

Stahn
Senator

Founded: May 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Stahn » Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:59 pm

Or only just ignore the stuff you can't accept and use what you can. That is what I have done several times with nations that have played a largy part in my history.
And as time passes enough things have happened so that I didn't even need to mention some of the nations I have had these kind of problems with.

Tafir
Bureaucrat

Founded: Dec 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Tafir » Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:14 pm

Vogega
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 05, 2014
Father Knows Best State

RPGing

Postby Vogega » Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:26 pm

O.K. This guide is very helpful. I was just wondering. Per say I am doing a modern day battle. Would it be bad to say something like "due to the sale of old tanks from weaponmart, the Vogegan Emperor has ordered 50 M4 Sherman's even though they are hopelessly outdated to combat the menace of Bobmania. The tanks only cost 900,000 Makos total which is why the emperor sprung for this bargain"?

I realize that question markets come inside of apostrophes, but it is what is being said inside of a question.
Psi Levels
1-few, weak powers
2-many weak powers
3-many average/weak powers
4-few strong/lots of average/weak powers
5-may strong/lots of average/weak powers
6-god-like power/lots of strong/weak/average powers

Weapons
Plasma-burns holes in stuff
Ion-causes objects to explode/strips shields
Gauss-strips at a molecular level
Kinetic-guns
Laser-low lethality, accurate

Ship Sizes
Organized smallest to largest with smallest at the top.
Drone
Fighter
Bomber
Assault Craft
Corvette
Frigate
Destroyer
Cruiser
Battlecruiser
Battleship
Dreadnought

Roski
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Roski » Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:29 pm

Vogega wrote:O.K. This guide is very helpful. I was just wondering. Per say I am doing a modern day battle. Would it be bad to say something like "due to the sale of old tanks from weaponmart, the Vogegan Emperor has ordered 50 M4 Sherman's even though they are hopelessly outdated to combat the menace of Bobmania. The tanks only cost 900,000 Makos total which is why the emperor sprung for this bargain"?

I realize that question markets come inside of apostrophes, but it is what is being said inside of a question.

You could word it differently, speaking about the lack of budget I suppose, but yes, in otherwords, it is technically a valid statement that can't really be seen as godmodding unless you somehow piss someone off.
I'm some 17 year old psuedo-libertarian who leans to the left in social terms, is fiercly right economically, and centrist in foriegn policy. Unapologetically Pro-American, Pro-NATO, even if we do fuck up (a lot). If you can find real sources that disagree with me I will change my opinion. Call me IHOP cause I'm always flipping.

I am the Federal Republic of Roski. I have a population slightly over 256 million with a GDP of 13.92-14.25 trillion. My gross domestic product increases each year between .4%-.1.4%. I have a military with 4.58 million total people, with 1.58 million of those active. My defense spending is 598.5 billion, or 4.2% of my Gross Domestic Product.

Tafir
Bureaucrat

Founded: Dec 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Tafir » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:29 pm

How do I get people involved in my RP without making it about communism?

Kyrusia
Retired Moderator

Founded: Nov 12, 2007
Capitalizt

Postby Kyrusia » Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:46 am

Tafir wrote:How do I get people involved in my RP without making it about communism?

You need to give players a reason to be interested, namely. An original post that is gripping, interesting, or appeals to other players (and their relative entities) and reads in a manner which both spurs their interest as well as giving them a reason to seek to invest time and writing to the thread. There are more types of threads than simply "Ideology [A] versus Ideology [B]"; further, there are far more types of threads besides simple state vs. state conflicts. You might further consider dropping by the RP Think Tank and seeing if other people have something which might interest you; if you are fairly new to International Incidents or roleplaying in general, it might prove easier to first get a feel for how the community works, what interests its members, and what interests you.

This, more often than not, can help you build a foundation for the type of threads you are likely to be interested in, want to participate, and want to create - in addition to allowing you to craft threads which others, in turn, would be interested in participating in. Don't fret; most of us have had more than our fair share of threads which simply didn't garner the interest we were hoping for, or died with only minimal interest. Just keep working, reading, researching, and interacting; all it takes is practice and a bit of patience.
[KYRU]
old. roleplayer. the goat your parents warned you about.

Dastardly Dark Empire of Evil Bastards
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 08, 2014
Ex-Nation

FNG

Postby Dastardly Dark Empire of Evil Bastards » Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:41 pm

New to Nation States, and I have no idea how to get into the "International Incident's" game. I've imported an idea from a political satire story I'm running with some deep themes of what freedom truly means, and how it is best achieved. It utilizes fantastic creatures and modern, dieselpunk, and sci-fi technology (The Rule of Cool applies). So to boil it all down: How do I begin an international incident, and how do I recruit players?
Last edited by Dastardly Dark Empire of Evil Bastards on Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Roski
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Roski » Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:53 pm

Dastardly Dark Empire of Evil Bastards wrote:New to Nation States, and I have no idea how to get into the "International Incident's" game. I've imported an idea from a political satire story I'm running with some deep themes of what freedom truly means, and how it is best achieved. It utilizes fantastic creatures and modern, dieselpunk, and sci-fi technology (The Rule of Cool applies). So to boil it all down: How do I begin an international incident, and how do I recruit players?

Welcome to II FNG!

In simple - you post an event. Players often sift through II for something to do. Some of the best ways however is to directly telegram some at least halfway decent rpers into threads. Another good way is to keep a link in your signature. Other good ways are to get apphiliated with alliances - there are many great alliances, like the Confluence of Six, Multi Species Union, or other alliances. Or, directly ally with strong nations (theres a difference between being strong and godmodding). All of these are easy... To a point. But, if you have anymore questions, there are RP mentors on this thread who prolly know a lot more than I do!

Dastardly Dark Empire of Evil Bastards
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 08, 2014
Ex-Nation

Alrighty then!

Postby Dastardly Dark Empire of Evil Bastards » Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:49 am

Roski wrote:
Dastardly Dark Empire of Evil Bastards wrote:New to Nation States, and I have no idea how to get into the "International Incident's" game. I've imported an idea from a political satire story I'm running with some deep themes of what freedom truly means, and how it is best achieved. It utilizes fantastic creatures and modern, dieselpunk, and sci-fi technology (The Rule of Cool applies). So to boil it all down: How do I begin an international incident, and how do I recruit players?

Welcome to II FNG!

In simple - you post an event. Players often sift through II for something to do. Some of the best ways however is to directly telegram some at least halfway decent rpers into threads. Another good way is to keep a link in your signature. Other good ways are to get apphiliated with alliances - there are many great alliances, like the Confluence of Six, Multi Species Union, or other alliances. Or, directly ally with strong nations (theres a difference between being strong and godmodding). All of these are easy... To a point. But, if you have anymore questions, there are RP mentors on this thread who prolly know a lot more than I do!

Okey doke, this sounds great! Does anybody know any regions with humorous fantasy elements (Dwarves in Power Armor, Elves holding political marches?)

Roski
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Roski » Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:51 am

Dastardly Dark Empire of Evil Bastards wrote:
Roski wrote:
Welcome to II FNG!

Okey doke, this sounds great! Does anybody know any regions with humorous fantasy elements (Dwarves in Power Armor, Elves holding political marches?)

Regions? No, sorry. You could make a post about it in the gameplay section to see if anyone has potential buyers.

Kyrusia
Retired Moderator

Founded: Nov 12, 2007
Capitalizt

Postby Kyrusia » Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:20 am

Dastardly Dark Empire of Evil Bastards wrote:Okey doke, this sounds great! Does anybody know any regions with humorous fantasy elements (Dwarves in Power Armor, Elves holding political marches?)

Due to FanT/Fantasy's exceptionally small (compared to MT or even FT) community presence on NS (or, at least, on the boards as some cohesive "community"), I am aware of only a smathering of roleplaying regions oriented toward said tech level. You might consider dropping by Mystria (founder is Crystal Spires), Nocturnalya (founder is The Nocturnal Keeper though you might consider TG'ing their delegate, New Azura), or possibly getting into contact with the operators of Vapor, a steampunk-oriented closed roleplaying group and region - though I believe they only accept new members and participants on invite.
Last edited by Kyrusia on Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
[KYRU]
old. roleplayer. the goat your parents warned you about.

Lubyak
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Lubyak » Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:29 am

Kyrusia wrote:
Dastardly Dark Empire of Evil Bastards wrote:Okey doke, this sounds great! Does anybody know any regions with humorous fantasy elements (Dwarves in Power Armor, Elves holding political marches?)

Due to FanT/Fantasy's exceptionally small (compared to MT or even FT) community presence on NS (or, at least, on the boards as some cohesive "community"), I am aware of only a smathering of roleplaying regions oriented toward said tech level. You might consider dropping by Mystria (founder is Crystal Spires), Nocturnalya (founder is The Nocturnal Keeper though you might consider TG'ing their delegate, New Azura), or possibly getting into contact with the operators of Vapor, a steampunk-oriented closed roleplaying group and region - though I believe they only accept new members and participants on invite.

On that note, I'll toot my own horn here and present CoPS as another option. We work closely with Mystria, and are a reasonably active FanT group.

Astholm
Senator

Founded: Jan 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Astholm » Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:25 am

Going with my RP at viewtopic.php?f=4&t=322128 ;
is this plotline a workable one?

Basically, it is about an Astholm celebrity and her friends from around the world going on holiday, but there's also a political slant to the story too.

All honest and constructive criticism is welcomed!
[spoiler=About Me]Based on the United Kingdom, but enlarged version with alternate history.
On IIWiki
I have multiple puppets here; only a select few are used to represent the continent of Astholm; others used represent Westholme, and do not artificially boost my nation's statistics.Previously i used puppets with nation names that did not identify as Astholm (e.g. Australis Australia; now all new puppets use ASTHLM, NORTHLM, SOUTHLM, WESTHLM (HLM denoting The Holmes.
NOTE: Other uses of Astholm here have a different continuity and refer to work created by the user Astholm, not the nation

Vogega
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 05, 2014
Father Knows Best State

Postby Vogega » Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:41 am

What do all the buttons mean when you're posting? They are on top of where ypu type.
Psi Levels
1-few, weak powers
2-many weak powers
3-many average/weak powers
4-few strong/lots of average/weak powers
5-may strong/lots of average/weak powers
6-god-like power/lots of strong/weak/average powers

Weapons
Plasma-burns holes in stuff
Ion-causes objects to explode/strips shields
Gauss-strips at a molecular level
Kinetic-guns
Laser-low lethality, accurate

Ship Sizes
Organized smallest to largest with smallest at the top.
Drone
Fighter
Bomber
Assault Craft
Corvette
Frigate
Destroyer
Cruiser
Battlecruiser
Battleship
Dreadnought

The Macabees
Senator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Macabees » Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:44 am

They are for formatting your post. For example, b means bold, i means itallic, and u means underline. See this guide.
Former Sr. II Roleplaying Mentor | Factbook

The Macabees' Guides to Roleplaying, Worldbuilding, and Other Stuff (please upvote if you like them!)

Aedea
Bureaucrat

Founded: Dec 27, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Aedea » Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:07 am

Are there any good, Fictional Government Documentation generators out there? For declarations of war, commerce, social issues, blackmail, kidnap and ransom notes and more? They'd add a depth of realism to the RP, without having to rely on the more taxing side of editing and ASCII character images.

New Azura
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 22, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby New Azura » Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:00 am

Aedea wrote:Are there any good, Fictional Government Documentation generators out there? For declarations of war, commerce, social issues, blackmail, kidnap and ransom notes and more? They'd add a depth of realism to the RP, without having to rely on the more taxing side of editing and ASCII character images.

I'm not sure of generators in the vein that you ask about, but if you are interested in assistance in creating some documents, there's a few players around that help people in this regard. I would also recommend doing some research on some of the famous documents from history, treaties or whatnot to get a general idea on how formal communiqués are worded. At the end of the day though, really the aesthetics of your posts are going to go a long way towards helping add to your roleplays.
THEEVENGUARDOFAZURA
UNFIOREPERILCOLOSSO

FRIEND OF KRAVEN (2005-2023)KRAVEN PREVAILS!18 YEARS OF STORIES DELETED

THEDOMINIONOFTHEAZURANS
CAPITAL:RAEVENNADEMONYM:AZURGOVERNMENT:SYNDICAL REPUBLICLANGUAGE:AZURI

Her Graceful Excellence the Phaedra
CALIXTEIMARAUDER
By the Grace of the Lord God, the Daughter of Tsyion, Spirited Maiden, First Matron of House Vardanyan
Imperatrix of the Evenguard of Azura and Sovereign Over Her Dependencies, the Governess of Isaura
and the Defender of the Children of Azura

— Controlled Nations —
Artemis Noir, Dragua Sevua, Grand Ventana, Hanasaku, New Azura, Nova Secta and Xiahua

— Other Supported Regions —
Esvanovia (P/MT), Teremara (P/MT), The Local Cluster (FT)

— Roleplay Tech Levels —
[PT][MT][PMT][FT][FanT]

Kylarnatia
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 07, 2008
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Kylarnatia » Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:44 pm

Deian salazar wrote:Ummm Hi where are applications for Mentors?

You don't really apply to become a Mentor. Potential candidates are approached for the positions.

Players considered to be potential candidates are those who're (in a quick set of points, but not limited to) active in the community, friendly, helpful to players who ask for assistance, and as such possess a considerable amount of knowledge and experience in roleplaying on NationStates. It's also worth noting that we don't just look for people who're good at roleplaying, but also understand how roleplaying actually works.
The Ancient Empire of Kylarnatia // Imperium Antiquum Kylarnatiae
Lord of Gholgoth | Factbook (Work in Progress) | Embassy & Consulate Programme
I write mostly in PMT-FaNT, and I enjoy worldbuilding and storytelling. Any questions? Ask away!
NationState's friendly neighbourhood Egyptologist
Come one, come all to my Trading Card Bazaar!
"Kylarnatia is a rare Nile platypus." - Kyrusia

Magi and Divinities
Lobbyist

Founded: Dec 15, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Magi and Divinities » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:24 pm

I was looking to get into nation-style RPing. I know enough about roleplaying, but I've never done anything on II. Any places/people willing to teach a noob the ropes?
Let's get this out of the way.
90% of the time, I'll be a mage. That, or a country of magi.
Just gonna have to roll with it.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents