NATION

PASSWORD

Interstellar Age (Worldbuilding, FT RP Group, Sign UP/OOC)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Damak Var
Senator

Founded: May 07, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Damak Var » Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:32 pm

The Burning Sun wrote:5858 (Leave this)
Nation Name: Hapsburg Empire
Choose 8
Overall Fleet Size 1 X
Overall Fleet Size 2 X
Overall Fleet Size 3
Overall Ship Quality 1 X
Overall Ship Quality 2 X
Overall Ship Quality 3
Intelligence/Special Force/Covert Operations 1
Intelligence/Special Forces/Covert Operations 2
Intelligence/Special Forces/Covert Operations 3
Ground Forces Quality 1
Ground Forces Quality 2
Ground Forces Quality 3
Military Leadership and Navy Personnel Quality 1 X
Military Leadership and Navy Personnel Quality 2 X
Military Leadership and Navy Personnel Quality 3
Logistical Support 1 X
Logistical Support 2 X
Logistical Support 3

Choose 3
Dreadnoughts X
Carriers
Battleships X
Battlecruisers X
Cruisers (EW/Support)
Interdictor Destroyers
Stealth Frigates
Recon Frigates

Choose Two Weapons Systems
Missiles
Lasers
Railguns X
Projectile Cannons X

Military Description (Optional): The Imperial Navy prefers an extremely direct, hammer-and-anvil approach, smashing their opponents apart at the best opportunity. Their weapons and tactics reflect this, using railguns at long range while charging, and projectile weapons to shred their enemies in close range combat. EWAR frigates tend to be equipped for interdiction and target painting, while fighters are usually slower, but more heavily armed and armored. Ground tactics are slightly different, using a more maneuverable force to encircle and cut apart enemy columns. Enemies that resist such tactics are met with many a Navy captain's favorite technique: Mass orbital bombardment. As can be expected from an empire with such a huge industry, strategic goals tend to be the destruction of enemy infrastructure, either slowly grinding them down with a war of attrition or one massive coup de grace, crippling the enemy in one fell swoop. Protection is generally equally split between armor and shields, although Imperial craft have the unique ability to disable shields to vastly empower engines or vice versa.

Surprising choices given your emphasis on the Inquisition in your description. Keep in mind that the "Intelligence" category is also your nation's ability to conduct counterintelligence and ensure state security. This means protecting yourself from espionage, sabotage and terrorism.

The Burning Sun
Senator

Founded: Sep 15, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Burning Sun » Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:48 pm

Just cause it's there doesn't mean it's good or effective. For example: The Spanish Inquisition. I included it mainly as a plot element, to start conflicts and whatnot. Besides, most of the stuff it deals with are fairly simple, though you can bet that will change once we get into international politics.
"All that we see or seem/Is but a dream within a dream" - Poe
TBS, M.D | Founder of the Mechanics' Guild | EST 9-9
because my self-esteem is so low
TriStates wrote:+100 Tri-Points
Khasinkonia wrote:
The Burning Sun wrote:I posted. Just in case it gets buried by the depressing duo over there.

I award you ten points for the nickname. Which will buy you...
more posts from the duo
Royal Brownie PointsTM
Atlannia wrote:Mmm it's not looking good I'm afraid, the purple haired goth loli next to a sweatervest wearing bishonen portends financial strife and the double archery chick is a rare sign predicting the death of someone close to you, I'm sorry.
That'll be $32.99
All the logic

Damak Var
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Damak Var » Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:50 pm

Rough draft of the map. I did a 2 dimensional map because it's way easier but keep in mind each square as a lot more than you would think. Just because you have a world in the square does not mean you have explored the whole thing. I'm only going to put core and middle worlds on it by the way.

Now, please give suggestions on how long you think it should take to travel a square.

http://s27.postimg.org/n2sw5fukz/milkyw ... pna0_1.gif

New Terra

Making this a sancrosanct neutral world used for political conventions I suppose. I'd say it has about the population of a colony. It was named after the legend of Terra, where man is suppose to have come from and can never return to. If you believe that hogwash that is. ICly it's about as mythical as Atlantis is in RL.
Last edited by Damak Var on Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cainesland
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 28, 2014
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Cainesland » Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:54 pm

Main App 4747 (Leave This)
Nation Full Name: The Empire of Thelta.

Spend 300,000 Points total.

Faction Territorial Size/Population. You must have more Middle Worlds than Core Worlds and more Colonies than Middle Worlds.
+Core Worlds (4-10bil pop, 10k points each): 20k
+Middle Worlds (0.5-3bil pop, 5k points each): 20k
+Colonies (Less than 0.5 bil pop, 3k each): 30k
+Economic Strength/Wealth (Max = Points Spent on Core Worlds and Middle Worlds x 0.6): 24
+Military Industrial Strength (Max = Points Spent on Core Worlds x 1.2): 24
+Natural Resources Controlled (Max = Points Spent on Colonies x 1.6): 48
+Standard of Living (Max = 50K): 50k
+Political Unity (Max = 50K): 44k
+Public Order (Max = 50k): 40k
=Less than or equal to 300,000

Based on the above, fill out below.
Name of Capital World:
Government Style: Single party lottocratic representative police state. With a hereditary nobility.
Head of State:
Head of Government:
Economic Style: Environmentally conscious, nationalized free market mercantilism. Command economy.
Major Ethnic Groups (may explain more in Description:
Description (700 Words Minimum):

Fill out later after acceptance.
Names of Core Worlds:
Names of Middle Worlds:
Names of Colonies:

Work in progress.

The Burning Sun
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Burning Sun » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:13 pm

Damak Var wrote:Rough draft of the map. I did a 2 dimensional map because it's way easier but keep in mind each square as a lot more than you would think. Just because you have a world in the square does not mean you have explored the whole thing. I'm only going to put core and middle worlds on it by the way.

Now, please give suggestions on how long you think it should take to travel a square.

New Terra

Making this a sancrosanct neutral world used for political conventions I suppose. I'd say it has about the population of a colony. It was named after the legend of Terra, where man is suppose to have come from and can never return to. If you believe that hogwash that is. ICly it's about as mythical as Atlantis is in RL.

That close to Galactic Core? Put me to the upper left by a couple squares, I guess.

1 week per square. A little on the long side for really effective governance and communication, but I suppose it could be an upper limit.
Last edited by The Burning Sun on Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Khasinkonia wrote:
The Burning Sun wrote:I posted. Just in case it gets buried by the depressing duo over there.

more posts from the duo
Royal Brownie PointsTM
Atlannia wrote:Mmm it's not looking good I'm afraid, the purple haired goth loli next to a sweatervest wearing bishonen portends financial strife and the double archery chick is a rare sign predicting the death of someone close to you, I'm sorry.
That'll be $32.99
All the logic

Damak Var
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Damak Var » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:32 pm

The Burning Sun wrote:
Damak Var wrote:Rough draft of the map. I did a 2 dimensional map because it's way easier but keep in mind each square as a lot more than you would think. Just because you have a world in the square does not mean you have explored the whole thing. I'm only going to put core and middle worlds on it by the way.

New Terra

That close to Galactic Core? Put me to the upper left by a couple squares, I guess.

1 week per square. A little on the long side for really effective governance and communication, but I suppose it could be an upper limit.

Here's a better link http://postimg.org/image/m5s10tvlt/

That's me actually but people aren't really going to get much of a choice in their locations. I was thinking I'm going to allow near instantaneous communication where data can be sent far faster than a ship can warp. A technology invented by a player civ of my choosing (not mine) that has spread through the others and now commonplace. There would also be something of an "internet" in this world too.

The Burning Sun
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Burning Sun » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:35 pm

Damak Var wrote:
The Burning Sun wrote:That close to Galactic Core? Put me to the upper left by a couple squares, I guess.

That's me actually but people aren't really going to get much of a choice in their locations. I was thinking I'm going to allow near instantaneous communication where data can be sent far faster than a ship can warp. A technology invented by a player civ of my choosing (not mine) that has spread through the others and now commonplace. There would also be something of an "internet" in this world too.

The location of New Terra and its history as a diplomatic hub suggests that all of our nations would be relatively close by, and that it would be located in the center.
Khasinkonia wrote:

more posts from the duo
Royal Brownie PointsTM
That'll be $32.99
All the logic

Skappola
Minister

Founded: May 12, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Skappola » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:36 pm

Damak Var wrote:
The Burning Sun wrote:That close to Galactic Core? Put me to the upper left by a couple squares, I guess.

Regarding who gets the invention, are you open to... Monetary Persuasion? Because I have 2 nickels with your name on it. :p
Political Compass: Economic: 1.63 Social: -6.72
Political Ideology: Neoliberal Civil Libertarian
I Enjoy: Blues, Paradox Games and Sci-fi

The Orson Empire
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 20, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Orson Empire » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:37 pm

Nation Full Name: Vandulian Hierarchy

Faction Territorial Size/Population. You must have more Middle Worlds than Core Worlds and more Colonies than Middle Worlds.
+Core Worlds (4-10bil pop, 10k points each): 5 worlds (50,000)
+Middle Worlds (0.5-3bil pop, 5k points each): 6 worlds (30,000)
+Colonies (Less than 0.5 bil pop, 3k each): 9 worlds (27,000)
+Economic Strength/Wealth (Max = Points Spent on Core Worlds and Middle Worlds x 0.6): 40,000
+Military Industrial Strength (Max = Points Spent on Core Worlds x 1.2): 60,000
+Natural Resources Controlled (Max = Points Spent on Colonies x 1.6): 20,000
+Standard of Living (Max = 50K): 25,000
+Political Unity (Max = 50K): 30,000
+Public Order (Max = 50k): 18,000

Name of Capital World: Vandular
Government Style: Hierarchical Meritocracy
Head of State: Overlord Vashua Sorvisi
Head of Government: The Lords
Economic Style: Capitalist, but there are government regulations
Major Ethnic Groups (may explain more in Description: Vandulian, Golorian
The Vandulian Hierarchy is located in a region of space known as the Vandul Systems. It is a hierarchical meritocracy. Citizens in the hierarchy advance through society only through their merit, or their intellectual talent/ability. High-ranking citizens are expected to lead and protect their subordinates, while low-ranking citizens are expected to obey their superiors. After going to a lower level school for the first several years of their life (generally until age 16), citizens start off by serving the state in the lowest “tiers” of society, such as by being a soldier, sanitation worker, factory worker, etc. After serving the state for some years, the citizen is then given the option of going to a higher level school (similar to a college or university) to further develop their skills. From there, promotion to higher tiers depends on numerous factors, such as how one did in their higher level school, the classes they took in the school, their performance when they served the state, etc. Getting promoted to higher tiers is very difficult, and as a result, very few citizens reach the highest tiers. The highest tier in the Hierarchy are the Lords, which control an entire planet. It is the smallest tier, with only 20 members (as there are 20 worlds in the Hierarchy). They convene and vote on important national issues and make sure the nation continues to function properly. The leader of this tier is the Overlord, which is a Lord that is promoted every 10 years to this position based on the current line of succession (the line of succession is based on the planets in the Hierarchy, and after one Lord from one planet serves their term, the next Lord from the next planet takes over; as an example, a Lord from Planet 1 finishes his 10 year term. Then, the Lord from Planet 2 in the line of succession takes over. After he finishes his term, the Lord from Planet 3 in the line of succession takes over, and so on and so forth). This system was put in place in order to avoid conflict between multiple Lords that are trying to seize power, but the system is not foolproof; it has nevertheless been taken advantage of. Citizens enjoy large amounts of freedom- nothing is forbidden, so as long as it does not interfere with one’s ability to do their task’s or interfere with someone else’s ability to do their tasks. As an example, there are no laws prohibiting drug use, but if it interferes with one’s ability to do their tasks, then it becomes a problem. Likewise, stealing is not allowed because it interferes with a merchant’s ability to sell goods to their customers.

The Vandulian Hierarchy was formed in 190 AW, when the Vandulians finally united under one government after various wars and political turmoil. By this time, overpopulation and dwindling resources on their homeworld of Vandular had forced the Vandulians to build colonies on the other uninhabited planets in their solar system. 10 years later in 200 AW, research in the warp drive that had been going on for decades finally resulted in the first prototype drive. The drive allowed the Vandulians to expand beyond the constraints of their solar system, and they began to settle other worlds. In 230 AW, several Vandulian exploration ships made contact with other Humans known as the Golorians, who had recently begun their own expansion towards the Vandul Systems, above the planet Korosh. The ships attempted to hail the Golorians, but were immediately opened fire upon and forced to retreat. The Vandulians quickly retaliated by sending in dozens of ships to Korosh. Thus, this marked the beginning of the 1st Vandul-Golor War. This war was relatively small, only involving various skirmishes. The war was over within a few months, and in 231 AW, both nations signed a peace treaty and went their own ways. Peace lasted for 25 years, until the 2nd Vandul-Golor War began in 256 AW. The Golorians had been using the intermission between the two wars to their advantage by building up their military to incredible levels. The peace treaty was nothing but a facade; they still had a strong desire to conquer the Vandulians. Thus, when the Vandulians lest expected it, the Golorians began an offensive into the Vandul Systems. The Vandulian Military, although unprepared, put up an incredible fight, resulting in the Golorians taking immense casualties. In 258 AW, the Golorian Military reached Vandular itself and engaged the large Vandulian defenses over the planet. This resulted in the what is known as the Bloodbath of Vandular; both sides suffered catastrophic amounts of casualties, and millions of Vandulians on the surface of the planet were killed by Golorian orbital bombardments. Nevertheless, the Golorian forces were so crippled by the battle that they were forced to retreat entirely from the Vandul Systems. The Vandulians took advantage of this and chased the Golorians down, winning several more battles until the Golorians finally surrendered in 260 AW. The Vandulians imposed harsh punishments on the Golorians, forcing them to pay war reparations and limiting the size of their military. As the Vandulians rebuilt much of their territory that had been devastated by the war, Golorian society crumbled. Eventually, in 270 AW, the Golorians went bankrupt and could no longer pay the reparations. The Vandulians, angered by this, decided to finish off the Golorians once and for all in the 3rd Vandul-Golor War. The Golorians put up a good fight, but could no longer compete with the large military of the Vandulians. The Golorians were finally defeated in 275 AW, and as much as 50% of their population was wiped out during the war. The remaining Golorians and all of the territory they controlled were annexed into the Vandul Systems.

The three wars with the Golorians had permanently left a mark on Vandulian society. The wars had made the Vandulians very militaristic and had evolved the hierarchal system that is seen in present day. Millions of Vandulians lost their lives in the wars, and recovery was extensive. However, tight government regulation of resources during these wars resulted in the black market coming to prominence, and with it, criminal syndicates. These have become a major problem for the government. The addition of the Golorians to the Hierarchy has caused problems in the lower tiers of society, as Golorians and Vandulians are trying to compete for jobs. This has resulted in riots and civil unrest.

Names of Core Worlds:
Names of Middle Worlds:
Names of Colonies:

Damak Var
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Damak Var » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:37 pm

The Burning Sun wrote:
Damak Var wrote:

The location of New Terra and its history as a diplomatic hub suggests that all of our nations would be relatively close by, and that it would be located in the center.

True. This is actually a map of the milky way and it came with that. Can't really get rid of it without the map looking like shit. Maybe just ignore it.

Skappola
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Skappola » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:40 pm

Damak Var wrote:
The Burning Sun wrote:The location of New Terra and its history as a diplomatic hub suggests that all of our nations would be relatively close by, and that it would be located in the center.

True. This is actually a map of the milky way and it came with that. Can't really get rid of it without the map looking like shit. Maybe just ignore it.

Let me try, I think I can get rid of it...

Skappola
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Skappola » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:43 pm

Skappola wrote:
Damak Var wrote:

Let me try, I think I can get rid of it...

EDIT: Did it http://i.imgur.com/7edFj8D.jpg

I think I can make it better, though...
Last edited by Skappola on Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Orson Empire
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 20, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Orson Empire » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:45 pm

Damak Var wrote:Yeah, its a bitch but there's reasons I'm making the min 700.

1. Allows me to judge writing ability and creativity.
2. Gives a better idea on your nation.
3. Filters out noobs and fickle RPers not willing to hammer out 700 words.
4. Makes people become more invested after having written so much. More likely to stick around.

I am indeed invested, as it took me a long time to write that description.

Damak Var
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Damak Var » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:46 pm

Skappola wrote:
Damak Var wrote:

Regarding who gets the invention, are you open to... Monetary Persuasion? Because I have 2 nickels with your name on it. :p

Lol, we'll see. I was thinking it be done with a series of relays you set up that everyone can connect to once in range. Therefore military communications and confidential business information would have to be encrypted.

As for travel, my idea was that traveling takes a three days a square in charted space (any square with a middle or core world in it). Two weeks to a month in uncharted space.

Damak Var
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Damak Var » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:51 pm

Orson's app is accepted. Glad to hear you are invested. :p
Last edited by Damak Var on Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Skappola
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Skappola » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:54 pm

Okay, you should not be able to notice the spot where New Earth was now: http://imgur.com/7edFj8D

Skappola
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Skappola » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:55 pm

Damak Var wrote:
Skappola wrote:Regarding who gets the invention, are you open to... Monetary Persuasion? Because I have 2 nickels with your name on it. :p

Lol, we'll see. I was thinking it be done with a series of relays you set up that everyone can connect to once in range. Therefore military communications and confidential business information would have to be encrypted.

As for travel, my idea was that traveling takes a three days a square in charted space (any square with a middle or core world in it). Two weeks to a month in uncharted space.

So it could take half a year to send a message in especially large empires? Then again, once we get there the technology likely would have advanced somewhat. It's good to have that, though, especially for military campaigns.
Last edited by Skappola on Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Damak Var
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Damak Var » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:56 pm

Skappola wrote:Okay, you should not be able to notice the spot where New Earth was now: http://imgur.com/7edFj8D

Yeah thanks! but can you give a version that I can zoom in more with?
Last edited by Damak Var on Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vespalia
Envoy

Founded: May 03, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Vespalia » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:56 pm

Gee, I honestly would love to join. I just wonder if I'm going to remember it all. And my country's back story is built something like this, but I dunno if I can actually make a nation here that's indistinguishable from my own and possesses its' qualities. But if I can't put Vespalia here (probably can't, not exactly, anyway...) I have two or three or four other ideas like it, though.
Note-1: The calendars here use the Year after Vespalian Unification or AVU. It is presently 10113 AVU.
Note-2: Vespalia is the common name of the Vespalian Federation, a continent-spanning, federal parliamentary monarchy located on the namesake continent established in 1 BVU. It is the size of all Earth's landmass, on the planet Delia in the Andromeda galaxy. The population is roughly 12.6 billion. There are at least 13,000 languages spoken and the capital is Vega City.
Tech levels: PT (18th-mid-20th century), MT(variants on Western weapons systems), FT (Vespalian Space Command, myself at times)
H7 civilization.
We have three genders.

Skappola
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Skappola » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:56 pm

Damak Var wrote:
Skappola wrote:Okay, you should not be able to notice the spot where New Earth was now: http://imgur.com/7edFj8D

Sure. I'll use that website you were using.

EDIT: For some reason it's not zooming, but: http://postimg.org/image/h02nggka7/

I don't know of any image services that really allow you to zoom in, but I need to go to sleep now.
Last edited by Skappola on Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Damak Var
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Damak Var » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:59 pm

Skappola wrote:
Damak Var wrote:

Sure. I'll use that website you were using.

I figured it out actually but thanks! Vespalia, you're welcome to post an app.

Damak Var
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Damak Var » Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:03 pm

ATTENTION:

1. If your main app has been accepted, complete it all the way. Finish naming all your worlds.
2. Finish Military App (Does not need to be accepted).
3. Post both Main and Military App Here in ONE post.

Vespalia
Envoy

Founded: May 03, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Vespalia » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:05 pm

Damak Var wrote:
Skappola wrote:Sure. I'll use that website you were using.

I figured it out actually but thanks! Vespalia, you're welcome to post an app.

Thank you. I assure you I'll do my best to get over 700 words.
Nation Full Name: Vespalian Federation

+Core Worlds (4-10bil pop, 10k points each): 3 (30,000)- average is 6.8 billion
+Middle Worlds (0.5-3bil pop, 5k points each): 8 (40,000)- average 2.3 billion
+Colonies (Less than 0.5 bil pop, 3k each): 11 (33,000)- average 120 million
+Economic Strength/Wealth (Max = Points Spent on Core Worlds and Middle Worlds x 0.6): 70,000
+Military Industrial Strength (Max = Points Spent on Core Worlds x 1.2): 40,000
+Natural Resources Controlled (Max = Points Spent on Colonies x 1.6): 40,000
+Standard of Living (Max = 50K): 11,000
+Political Unity (Max = 50K): 25,000
+Public Order (Max = 50k): 11,000
(Does this equal 300,000? Most of the calculations were done in my head...)
Name of Capital World: Dēlia
Government Style: Parliamentary constitutional monarchy/informal stratocracy
Head of State: Queen Myrēda Vēra
Head of Government: Prime Minister Levos Cyršcä (Vespalia proper), VSC Fleet Admiral Lord Kērus Veis ( colonial)
Economic Style: Workers' cooperatives in a market system.
Major Ethnic Groups (may explain more in Description: Vasean, Vespan, Cylteran, Fantan, Äspenän, Šylman
Vespalia is an ancient nation, with her history going back 6,000 years into history on their world of Dēlia. Founded by the merger of the Phalugan and Vegaran tribes into one nation, Vespalia was born in 5711 BW. It expanded over its' namesake continent as the First Vegaru Empire from 5710-4820 BW, defeating and assimilating invaders. A drought and a barbarian invasion fragmented the Empire into Vegaru language-speaking kingdoms for a millennium. During this time Vegaru influence spread across half the continent, founding more kingdoms that would become the founding states of the Second Empire in 4720 BW. A confederation of kingdoms, the Empire continued to grow in response to invasion for two thousand years, but slowly as it reached the high Transvespalian Mountains, through which only thirteen passes cross. This ultimately halted the Empire's growth beyond the kingdoms of Ferni, Nëštēlä, Mēlos, Mitūna, Dalemāsu, Suliwa and Cēottagēba, south of the mountains, in 3517 BW.
For a millenium longer the Empire held, gaining technological advances such as the printing press and gunpowder, until its' fall to religion. In 2538 BW the religious of Trinitarianism, native to the Vegaru homeland, was made the Empire's state religion. The Vēskol, Fanta and Ferni Kingdoms refused to accept the matriarchal religion, and seceded. The Empire launched a Great Crusade against them, leading to civil war. For a century the two sides fought and the Empire unraveled. It was only in 2400 BW that the conflict ended.
Afterwards, leaders of northern Vespalian kingdoms joined together to form a new government. The government was a federation of regions and provinces led by a constitutional monarch and a parliament, the Vespalian Federation, whose first monarch, Queen Kyra Šeljys Vēra, took the Sovereign Crown of the Vespalian Federation in 2398 BW.
The Federation was at peace for a century before the Fantocyrennian barbarians, a savage people from the northeastern, foggy forests and peninsulas of the Cyrennia region, invaded. Vespalia crushed them brutally, nearly destroying their culture as reprisal for their raids. Cyrennians never forgot this.
The Federation was a confederation for some time. It was not powerful enough to exert maximal authority over the regions. Vespalia being a supercontinent the size of old Earth's landmass in total on a world twice its' diameter, it took a long time to get around and still does. Railroads reduced travel times in the 2100s and mobilized Vespalian troops against the Silurian Coalition of the west coast in 2075 BW, the Fryda Empire in 1864 BW, the Älēcä in 1787, and the Zeks in 1655 BW. By 1600 BW all of Vespalia was under Federation rule. Through industrialization and the rising power of the federal government, Vespalia was at peace for 500 years and a rising superpower, ignored by most other nations for their distance away from the rest of the continents and the deep seas around them.
In 1100 BW their trading partner Nelva requested that Vespalia launch an invasion of the far smaller continent of Festa, which had invaded some of Nelva's allies. Vespalia did not respond until 1099, when Festan naval forces sank Vespalian freighters. In 1098 Festa was invaded and by 1096 was Vespalian-occupied. The invasion brought suffering to the Festans and the subsequent occupation and annexation angered them. Rebels led by Defler Gadrim formed the "Fekarrc", a fascist movement, in 1095. They tried to overthrow the Festa Regional Government three years later but failed. Other nations asked Vespalia to withdraw after the Fekarrc rebellion. It reluctantly did; the Fekarrc rose to power and built a massive army. In 1078, they invaded Vespalia, shocking Federation forces. The invasion took four years to fully repel and in 1075, Festa was again annexed.
For 700 years after the war, Vespalia was peaceful- mostly, as Festa tried to drive them out numerous times in fascist rebellions, but lost support for such rebellions - and the world was too. Space colonization became a priority after advances in nuclear technology led to fusion in 700 BW. There was great pressure to colonize the Delian system.Vespalia was the first, setting up colonies on the moon of Skylëna in 692 BC. Resources flowed in and the population exploded. In 300 BW, this prosperity came to an end in the Famine Wars. Corruption led to colonies starving; they rebelled across the system. Vespalia mobilized a space military, the Vespalian Space Command, and took over the world's largest government organization, the United Delian Nations, in 295 BW, then destroyed the rebels and provided aid to starving colonists.
After the war, authoritarianism mounted. Worries of another civil war ended in 1 AW with the construction of a Warp Drive. Finally, humanity could colonize the stars. And it did so peacefully, looking for any signs of life. At the same time, the colonies- all established by Vespalian settlers- came under the VSC's control and had no parliamentary representation in Vespalia proper; nonetheless they had to send tax money to Vespalia yearly. This led to discontent a century later as a plague broke out on the colony of Vase in 101 AW. The unresponsive, corrupt VSC responded with military force, leading to the bloody Plague Wars. These ended in 146 AW with the inoculation of all colonists against known microbes and microorganisms in a mandatory injection called the Omnibus.
Since then, Vespalia has been in some mild disorder; the population has risen quickly, and new worlds colonized. Cultural diversity has continued to exist and is part of the reason for the unrest, with Lyrenneans rarely going along with the VSC unless they absolutely see it as a benefit and more often being apathetic or even opposed to its' plans. The VSC continues to informally govern the colonies on the behalf of the Federation Parliament and is still a branch of Her Majesty's Ministry for Defense, and is led by a noble from the planet of Nechait, Fleet Admiral Veis. He plans to refocus the VSC on defense of Delia and the colonies, and is threatening to cut tax payments to Vespalia if the Federation does not grant the colonies parliamentary representation. Corruption in the VSC is reduced from its' past levels, and gets worse in the outer colonies as the crime syndicates and pirates grow in power. They are not neccessarily of Delian origin.
The dominant culture of Vespalia and its' colonies is called Vespan after the old name for the continent of Vespalia. It is a merger of several Northern Vespalian cultures into a single one due to trade contact and political unification- specifically the Vegaran, Veran, Ceottageban, and Fantan cultures, although many would argue that it is simply Vegaran culture with a more cosmopolitan feel. This culture recognizes three genders, the lunar, solar and terrestrial, corresponding roughly to androgyne, masculine and feminine in Earth's Western societies. Cultural values include honesty, kindness to strangers, gynocentrism(Vespalian culture is slightly matriarchal overall), and honor. Vespan culture is also strongly associated with Trinitarianism, originally an animistic collection of myths created by the Vegarans and spread with them during their conquest, travel of, and unification of Vespalia. Its' central feature is the Trinity of the god Scelonu, representing masculinity and the sun; the goddess Delia, representing humankind and women specifically and the earth; and the androgyne Skylena, representing the androgynous lunars, the oceans, and the moon, which is named for the deity. (Like Earth, Delia has one proportionately oversized moon which has a similar function and appearance. It has been colonized.) Other gods and goddesses represent various natural forces and are named for what they represent in the Vespan language; the religion, despite its' age, has resisted institutionalization and is often understood as a collection of myths even today. The Vespan culture also includes the Federation's lingua franca, the aforementioned Vespan, an agglutinative and synthetic language with a structure resemblant of Hungarian, Turkish, Finnish or German. It was originally a literary language of the north of Vespalia, but soon took root in the Vegara and Vera regions due to its' similarity to the native languages of those areas and increased education. It has since superseded them both. It is a descendant of Vegaran, with strong influences from Fantan and Cylemman, a language of Ceottageba.
Vespalia is fairly advanced. Laser and coilgun weapons are their main focus, with magnetism powering trains in wealthier systems. Spaceflight below lightspeed is managed by chemical reaction thrusters, some of which are air-breathing rocket engine hybrids, and nuclear fusion drives that emit plasma at high speeds. Most power is provided by fusion, although poorer planets may have nuclear reactors, photovoltaic solar panels, hydroelectric dams or even illegal fossil-fuel plants. Wind turbines are also common, but these are usually a sign of moderate wealth and self-sufficient homesteaders. Gunpowder weapons are found in the outer colonies. Vespalian Space Command Naval spacecraft are protected by shielding systems and heavy armor, which also is utilized by ground troops.
The government of Vespalia is complex and dual-tiered. On Delia in the metropole of Vespalia (the original country before spaceflight), the Holder of the Sovereign Crown of the Vespalian Federation is ceremonial ruler and more commonly known as the King, Monarch or Queen depending on gender. Presently the Holder of the Sovereign Crown is a woman. The Parliament performs most government functions through its' two houses, the Senate and House of Commons, and the Prime Minister and (Her) Majesty's Ministries. The Senate is composed either of 20 noble senators per region, chosen by the noble houses of the region, or of 20 senators popularly voted in for each region; in simplicity the regions have 20 members each. This is dependent on the region's history as a monarchy or republic. It is "elected"- the term applying only to commoner Senators- every five years. The House of Commons either got its name from the non-nobles who were elected to it, and for whose benefit it was named, or from communes (districts common in Ceottageba). Either way, the provinces of each region elect a certain number of representatives, who cannot be nobles, every three years to the House. This number is proportional to the population of the province and balances out the Senate's powers and numbers. All elections in Vespalia proper use the preferential voting system.
The Prime Minister is elected as a member of the Federal Parliament (TMC in Vespan or M.(F.)P. in English), and chosen by a majority of parliamentarians to be Prime Minister. Qualified M.P.s or specialists approved by the House of Commons are appointed heads of (Her) Majesty's Ministries and are subordinate to the Prime Minister, who is subordinate to Parliament. If Parliament disapproves of the Prime Minister's conduct a vote of confidence may be called. If Parliament majority votes against them the Prime Minister is ousted and their government dissolved.
The Federation has a court system which spans the region of Vespalia proper and is led by (Her) Majesty's Supreme Court of the Vespalian Federation, which fulfills the function of supreme courts such as those in the United States on Earth. Justices of that court are appointed by the Crown and approved by the Parliament.
Administratively Vespalia proper is divided into 78 regions, 658 provinces, and 300,541 "municipalities", districts of varying size and type within each province. Regions have moderate powers under the constitution, and provinces are their subunits. Regions tend to be former kingdoms, mostly in the North however; the rest of the country has more historical republics than kingdoms, most notably the Kosina Republic in the southeast.
The Colonies have more idiosyncratic structures. Without the VSC each colony world would be a member of a weak confederation of settlements in their own systems. These confederacies or "System Administrations" handle interplanetary travel and communications on behalf of the VSC Navy and participate in anti-piracy operations insystem. They monitor interstellar traffic moving through the system as well.
Colonies are, by Vespalian law, divided into provinces, duchies, counties and "municipalities", this being because their governments have scope over an entire planet and usually the stations in orbit of it. Their governments are generally parliamentary ones modeled on the Vespalian Federal government with a Governor-General for each colonial government and its' subunit governments; overall these are identical to the regional and provincial governments but regions may have special rules involving the hereditary nobles. Colonies generally lack such rules, but the planets of Vase and Nechait have nobility, being founded by noble houses.
The VSC is primarily a branch of the Armed Forces of the Vespalian Federation with (Her) Majesty's Royal Navy, (Her) Majesty's Royal Marines, the Royal Army, the Crusader Force, and the Royal Air Force. However, it has some other functions and differences.
First, the VSC is composed of the Navy, Special Operations Command, Air Force, Marine Corps, and Army, generally identically to the whole Federation Armed Forces. It is led by the Chief of Naval Operations of the VSC Navy, who is also the Navy's Fleet Admiral (presently Lord Kerus Veis) and the VSC Security Council. In 146 AW as part of the end of the Plague Wars, the VSC created a council of colonial governments to aid it in its' work. The Colonial Council oversees the interstellar travel, business, and infrastructure administrations, along with health and wellness programs, funding, and (civilian) law. It is legally a branch of the VSC itself and headed by the Chief of Naval Operations. Ceremonially all of this is run by the Holder of the Sovereign Crown.

Sorry for so much text.

Names of Core Worlds:
Names of Middle Worlds:
Names of Colonies:
Last edited by Vespalia on Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:54 am, edited 3 times in total.
Note-1: The calendars here use the Year after Vespalian Unification or AVU. It is presently 10113 AVU.
Note-2: Vespalia is the common name of the Vespalian Federation, a continent-spanning, federal parliamentary monarchy located on the namesake continent established in 1 BVU. It is the size of all Earth's landmass, on the planet Delia in the Andromeda galaxy. The population is roughly 12.6 billion. There are at least 13,000 languages spoken and the capital is Vega City.
Tech levels: PT (18th-mid-20th century), MT(variants on Western weapons systems), FT (Vespalian Space Command, myself at times)
H7 civilization.
We have three genders.

Mesrane
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 13, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Mesrane » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:27 pm

Tag. Very interested.
Obligatory pros and antis:
Pro: Libertarianism, Protestantism, Gay Rights, 2nd Amendment, Scottish and Welsh Independence, Free Market
Anti: Communism, Socialism, General Authoritarianism, Welfare State, Feminism, EU, Controlled Economy, Gun Control, Justin Bieber, Utter Ridiculousness

Unapologetic Elder Scrolls Fanatic
HAIL NEREVAR, PRAISE THE HORTATOR

Chicago Cubs Fan. Yay?

Cainesland
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 28, 2014
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Cainesland » Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:19 am

Nation Full Name: The Empire of Thelta.

+Core Worlds (4-10bil pop, 10k points each): 20k
+Middle Worlds (0.5-3bil pop, 5k points each): 20k
+Colonies (Less than 0.5 bil pop, 3k each): 30k
+Economic Strength/Wealth (Max = Points Spent on Core Worlds and Middle Worlds x 0.6): 24k
+Military Industrial Strength (Max = Points Spent on Core Worlds x 1.2): 24k
+Natural Resources Controlled (Max = Points Spent on Colonies x 1.6): 48k
+Standard of Living (Max = 50K): 50k
+Political Unity (Max = 50K): 44k
+Public Order (Max = 50k): 40k

Name of Capital World: Alpha (Named after the
Government Style: Single party lottocratic representative police state. With a hereditary nobility.
Head of State: ArchChairman Donald O'Connel
Head of Government: Chairman Robert Goodman
Economic Style: Environmentally conscious, nationalized free market mercantilism. Command economy.
Major Ethnic Groups (may explain more in Description: Theltians. They usually have olive or fair skin and black or brown hair (which usually goes white by 25) with green or hazel coloured eyes.

The Theltian empire has been around in one form or another for a very long time. It was founded 2000 years ago on the 12th day of the 5th month of the year 0 AA (After arrival) by the colonists who mostly hailed from the northern regions of earth like Canada, Russia and the United Kingdom (and Ireland), with the founding date usually recorded as 0/05/12 following the yyyy/mm/dd way of recording dates. The original group founded a republic named Thelta after the names of the first 2 (of the five) ships that landed on their "home" world, Delta and Theta which were the fourth and 9th ships of the Flotilla. Unfortunately when the communications went down across the galaxy so do did most of their democratic ambitions. Being scared due to being separated from the rest of the flotilla they granted emergency powers to their political leaders who proceeded to plunge the nation into a feudal system with the parliamentary system utilized being reverted to give large amounts of power to the senate/house of lords and regress the House of Commons. Politicians were given hereditary titles and the economy was converted from free market to mercantilism. Knowledge was a highly prized commodity however and the newly turned hereditary rulers ordered the construction of privately built publicly owned libraries to house and more importantly maintain the physical books from the ships after the galactic E.M.P. wave wiped most everything else out. The citizens who still lived in the massive ships complied and that project began a tradition of both public works projects and of excellence and citizenship.

A hundred years after founding and losing communications with the galaxy the populace had seen the gradual reduction in civil and political rights to the point of being near slaves but passive and compliant. The people had moved out of the ships and established small roman esque towns nearby which were governed by one of the hereditary elites who's ancestors were once part of the parliament of the original republic of Thelta which had since turned into the Kingdom of Thelta. A technology cult developed which worshiped the ships and that contended with the Christian majority. In order to deal with the growing membership within the technology cult the ships were publicly declared "sacred sites" by the elites and no one was to be allowed within the ships. The people outside the townships had turned to hunting, agriculture and timber for employment but the towns had begun to form things like palaces which acted as both an administrative centre for the township regions, and a residence of the nobility. The nobility encouraged the having of more kids to the masses and eventually 7-12 was considered the norm, soon the age of consent was lowered as well, but books were still kept public for those that desired it.

A hundred years after the population had grown exponentially and that growth contributed to border growth. The kingdom bumped into the borders of the other 2 nations that occupied the planet. The kingdom of Scarro founded from the descendants of the the colonists who came from the ships Eta and Iota, and the Kingdom of Glomgold whose inhabitants were descended from colonists from the ship Omega. With contact treaties were made between the monarchs and mercantile trade began to flow. As did inter-regime marriages. But it soon became apparent that the others didn't care much for written knowledge and the kingdom of Thelta acquired many books from the other kingdoms at little to no cost.

Names of Core Worlds:
Names of Middle Worlds:
Names of Colonies:

Work in progress.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse