NATION

PASSWORD

The Stars, Like Dust (sci-fi/political) (OOC/signup)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!
Ayreonia
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

The Stars, Like Dust (sci-fi/political) (OOC/signup)

Postby Ayreonia » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:28 pm

IC thread

It was not meant to happen.

Again.

For if there is one thing that can be universally said about the human race, it would be that we never learn. Not from history, not from the erring of others, not even from our own mistakes. As the great Scandinavian statesman, philosopher and writer Ayre Onia uttered, "People with adequate intelligence avoid a root after tripping over it. People with glowing intellect watch their neighbor tripping over the root, then know to avoid it. The people who see their neighbor tripping laugh heartily at him, then proceed to trip over a different root and fall into the conveniently-place cesspit on the other said are you and me." Mr. Onia was nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize in 2089, but was never chosen because, in the words of the jury, he was "kind of a dick."

But I digress.

It is they year 2121, over six hundred years since a relatively well-known Genoese sailor was credited with finding a landmass that turned out to be several times greater than the "world" he had known. Historians have since disputed this "discovery", first saying that a certain Scandinavian did it centuries before, then that prehistoric Asians settled if way before that, and finally arriving at the quite sensible compromise that the identity of the discoverer is a moot point anyway, since no matter how far back we look, there have already been people living there and since the discoveree is a huge fucking mass of land. Pretty hard to miss and all that. To quote Senior Archaeologist Yeshua Carpenter of the University of Baden-Baden, "Frankly, we don't know, and nobody gives a shit about an ages-long dick-waving contest. Plus the government just cut our funding in order to finance research for a way to cram more explosive material into a smaller space. It's way more fun, anyway."

Ahem. Do excuse me. I tend to ramble.

Where was I? Oh, yes. Am I boring you yet? No? Good, I'd hate that. Anyway, the events after 1492 (I like to call it "The Europa Universalis, or EU Effect for short) repeated themselves in 2103, when the first natural wormhole was discovered in the Sol system. Like the colonial empires of old, Earth's leading nations begun a mad scramble for unclaimed virgin lands, except this time, they weren't battling territorial natives, terrifying predators or terrible diseases but cosmic radiation, zero-G and absolute boredom. Things were going along nicely, until a starship under European Union colors opened fire on a Scandinavian Commonwealth vessel. Until that, nobody had known that there were armed spaceships scurrying about the wild black yonder.

And so, it all started again, only except of Spanish and English galleons trading broadsides, it was EU and Polish starcraft exchanging missile volleys. Thank [REDACTED] that spaceships are too expensive to waste away in pointless wars, so all sides are forced to do a lot more angry glaring and name-calling than actual fighting. Yep, you guessed right, that's where we are now.

Oh, why was Ayre Onia called a dick? Mostly because he mentioned it being ironic that he'd get rewarded with a peace prize named after a guy who invented dynamite, and for calling surströmming the "most disgusting, degenerate food ever come up by man."

[This voice recording was found aboard the European Union exploration vessel UCS-17DAGAMA, found drifting in orbit around PROXCNT-3-2. The hull was breached at several points, evidently by proton-core warheads, commonly found aboard [REDACTED] vessels]

WTF, Aye?

Yes, the title is taken from an Isaac Asimov novel. I'm shameless and uncreative like that.

I hope that little intro I wrote will give you, potential player, a rough picture of what I have in mind. Basically, to create a world that is believable and makes sense. Let's call that the First Commandment of this RP: Realism is Expected. However, I don't want carbon copies of modern-day nations that can into space. Neither do I want factions that are basically the Empire from Star Wars, the Federation from Star Trek, the TEC from Sins of a Solar Empire, or Equestria from My Little Pony.

Following this, the Second and Third Commandments, respectively, would be:
Creativity is Cool
and
Originality is Awesome

Technology

What I want is plausible tech. Primitive artificial gravity that has a ton of restrictions and consumes lots of power. Cloning of individual organs. Early energy weapons, with missiles and projectile cannons being the mainstay. Ships are probably small and cramped, certainly not Enterprises or Executors. Voyages take a long time and are boring. We will name the Fourth Commandment as Space Travel Sucks.

Examples of good et bad technology:
Arti-grav by spinning
Arti-grav by energy-devouring mass generator
Primitive energy weapons (consume fucktons of power, need big reactor, mounted only on very big ships)
MISSILES
Ships that look like MIR with missile arrays
Gauss rifles (think Fallout)
Railguns (see energy weapons)
Artificial wombs
Cloning of individual organs
Robots (think 2200ies in Asimov)
Advanced AI
Neuro-processor links
Fusion reactors
Hydroponics
Ion propulsion (Slow acceleration, reliable and cheap. Unsuitable for atmospheric flight)
Chemical propulsion (Burns fuel fast, engines can be very small. Can take off from planets)
Nuclear propulsion (Efficient, fairly safe and cheap. Needs a big reactor)
Magnetic sails (need a sun to work)
Experimental energy shields (VERY experimental)
Experimental ways of breaching energy shields (what? We're humans)
Mobile mining bases (land on asteroid, strip-mine it, move on)
Early power armor

Arti-grav by magic
Hyperdrive
Walkers
Mecha
Turbolasers
Star destroyers (or any similar ships)
Teleportation
Anti-matter propulsion
Laser small arms
The GECK

What I'd like to stress at a point as early as this is that space is not the ocean. I wouldn't like anybody thinking it's two-dimensional, where ships have to line up right next to each other at perfectly equal angles and blast away at each other for an hour for one to go down. Engagements would probably be conducted from further afar than visual range. Avoid nautical terms if you can. Fifth Commandment is Space is not Sea.

The World

Basically, this RP is about the Space Race never ending. Earth as we know it is kinda like a twisted mirror image of itself. Everything is ruled by soulless megacorporations and heartless superstates (although you can play as any faction you want). Relations between nations are more tense than in our time, yet wars are very uncommon. Everybody is more interested in exploring and exploiting extraterrestrial exploits. Some have even gone expatriate and okay I'm stopping here.

This is more a personal wish than a rule per se, but I'd be happy if the RP kept to the satirical, tongue-in-cheek style I used in the intro. This won't be a heroic space opera where sailors on huge starships line up next to arr space pirates and fire broadside volleys from their starboard batteries. This will be about people on cramped spaceships that look like MIR had sex with a missile array, needing to be strapped down unless outside gravity wells and having to shit in a toilet-shaped vacuum cleaner to prevent their produce floating all over the cabin. And I mean writing style, not goofy events à la HHGTTG.

The Wormhole

The wormhole that was discovered in Sol was found to lead to the star Proxima Centauri, the closest one to Sol. Note that this is an approximation: since no star maps of that area have existed before, cartographers are going for educated guesses when trying to determine its exit point. Either way, the new system was quicly dubbed Proxima due to its most likely star and its estimated closeness (relatively) to Sol.

Physically, the Sol side of the wormhole is located in the outskirts of the system, somewhere between Neptune and Pluto. It was discovered when an unmanned probe craft reported unusual gravitic disturbances in the area, followed by loss of contact. Its signal was found again in 2103, four years after its disappearance. It was quickly deduced that the wormhole had transported it away to Proxima, and the SOL (speed of light) comm equipment's signal had taken four years to reach Earth.

Realizing the effects this discovery would have on the delicate balance of power among Earth's factions, the wormhole and its surroundings were quickly declared a demilitarized area. It was agreed that each nation would establish a permanent space station in the wormhole's orbit, at an equal distance from one another. The stations themselves are armed with identical weaponry, but no other armed craft are allowed closer than three astronomical units (448793612.073 km). This way, nobody is able to establish hegemony in Proxima, and armed conflicts are hoped to be avoided.

The wormhole (officially, a "superluminal higher-dimensional topographical space-time anomaly"; people just call it a wormhole because SLHDTSTA is not a very catchy acronym) is invisible to the naked eye, most likely because there's nothing on the other side it would reflect. In theory, wormholes are supposed to show a warped view of the other side. It seems to be orbiting the Sun instead of Neptune, which is puzzling, considering the mass difference between the two. The wormhole's mass has been estimated by its gravity well, but it quickly became clear that physics as understood today are useless when it comes to studying it.

Proxima

Proxima is the system of planets that are orbiting what is commonly thought to be Proxima Centauri. The system is generally inhospitable to life, with a very narrow biosphere that only contains the third planet, PROXCNT-3 and its moons, PROXCNT-3-1 and 3-2. The one closest to the star is highly volcanic and too hot to be a realistic target for colonization, although orbital scans have suggested that the omnipresent magma rivers might contain valuable minerals. So far, nobody has been crazy enough to try and extract them. The second one is completely barren. As far as anybody knows, it's just rock and sand, with no notable elevation differences. From space, it looks like a dazzlingly beautiful white pool ball, with no valley nor mountain ridge breaking its perfect surface.

Just like in Sol, there's an expansive asteroid belt separating the third and fourth planets, but unlike our home system, the fourth planet is not a humongous gas giant but a tiny, insignificant rock with an all-encompassing liquid methane sea. While Jupiter has protected Earth from stray meteors with its huge gravity well, thus contributing to making life possible there, PROXCNT-3 has no such guardian and is just as subject to remorseless celestial bombardment as all its siblings in the system.

The fifth planet, on the other hand, is a gas giant that's remarkably similar to Uranus. It is, however, too far from the inner ones to offer any significant protection. The sixth and last one is actually a double one, so small, cold and far away from its star that it has already been dubbed "Pluto's lost brother". The exit of the wormhole is right next to it.

So the Five Commandments are as follows:
Realism is Expected
Creativity is Cool
Originality is Awesome
Space Travel Sucks
Space is not Sea

These aren't the rules. These are ideals that you will follow if you want to stay on good terms with me.

These
are the rules (that nobody ever reads):
1) And you will know that I am the AYE when I lay my okay I got a little carried away there. You get the point.
2) And they sang together by course in praising and giving thanks unto the AYE; because he is good and goddamnit did it again. Co-OPs will sing together, their voice echoing mine. They'll kick your ass if need be.
3) Shout at Time, and command it to obey, as the World around you stands still I mean, there's no rule about the passage of time. We'll let things progress naturally, initiate timeskips when needed, etc.
4) For evil men will be cut off, but those who hope in the AYE will inherit the land, meaning that trolling, flaming, flamebaiting, metagaming, godmodding, etc. will not be tolerated, and people who engage in these activities will be ejected IMMEDIATELY. Also, be nice to your fellow players. You might not agree with their beliefs, religion or sexuality, but don't argue about that here.
5) And AYE will wipe away every tear from their eyes; there shall be no more death, nor sorrow, nor crying. Your nation can be defeated, looted, raped, nuked, pillaged, burned to the ground, fieldsalted, decimated, annexed, subjugated or glassed from orbit (not the gum). Should this happen, you are allowed to apply for another and enjoy priority over other applicants.

Application sheet. This is the bare minimum. You're welcome to be more detailed. I'd like to encourage originality over excessive number-wanking.
Code: Select all
[b]Nation name:[/b] [in the RP, not your NS one]
[b]Form of Government:[/b]
[b]Capital City:[/b]
[b]Governing Body:[/b] [senate, parliament, single party...]
[b]Economic Policy:[/b]
[b]Land Claims:[/b] [on Earth]
[b]Colony Claims:[/b] [note that the colonies in Proxima are small and undeveloped. No military bases or large mining installations]
[b]Head of State or equivalent:[/b]
[b]Flag:[/b] [picture or description]
[b]Motto:[/b]

[b]Total Population:[/b] [for the love of [REDACTED], keep it realistic]
- of which on Earth:
- of which in Sol:
- of which in Proxima:

[b]Cultures:[/b] [list all & give ratios in percentage]
[b]Religions:[/b] [same as above]
[b]Military:[/b] [drafted, cadre, professional...]

[b]Free-form description of your nation:[/b]

[b]RP example[/b]: [I DEMAND this, unless I invited you OR your app is very good]

I'll post more info, rules and an app sheet if there is enough interest. For the moment, please ask me anything about the RP if you're interested, hate the very idea of it ever starting or get any of the references I've strewn around this post.
Last edited by Ayreonia on Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
Images likely to cause widespread offense, such as the swastika, are not permitted as national flags. Please see the One-Stop Rules Shop ("Acceptable Flag Policy").

Photoshopped birds flipping the bird not acceptable.

Ayreonia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Ayreonia » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:31 pm

Reserved for apps.
Images likely to cause widespread offense, such as the swastika, are not permitted as national flags. Please see the One-Stop Rules Shop ("Acceptable Flag Policy").

Ayreonia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Ayreonia » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:31 pm

Timeline (work in progress)

1961: The Soviet Yuri Gagarin is the first human in space.

1969: The Eagle has landed! First successful landing on the Moon.

1971: The first space station, Salyut 1, is launched.

1974: Space stations become increasingly common, with most major powers having at least one in orbit.

1976: Successful Soviet Moon landing.

1981: First flight of the US Space Shuttle.

1983: First flight of the USSR Buran.

1983-2055 [left open for player histories]

2055: Extraterrestrial colonies around Sol are becoming commonplace.

2103: First wormhole discovered in the Solar System. Found to lead to Proxima Centauri, the closest star to Sol.

2105: First armed encounter in space: European Union ship UCS-03DVINCI opens fire on Scandinavian Commonwealth ship SCW-05AGRCLA, who suffers no major damage and is able to escape. Incident happens near Callisto, in Sol. Rumors about UCS-03DVINCI acting on orders of the EU government are vehemently denied.

2121: Present day.
Last edited by Ayreonia on Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Saragrossa
Minister

Founded: Jul 08, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Saragrossa » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:26 pm

Very interested, is it cool perhaps if i were to RP as Gazpom which has now become private and the defacto sole- owner of Russia.
" For Death & Glory "
Factbook of Saragrossa

Political Compass;

Economic Left/Right: -2.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 1.69

Ayreonia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Ayreonia » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:57 pm

Saragrossa wrote:Very interested, is it cool perhaps if i were to RP as Gazpom which has now become private and the defacto sole- owner of Russia.

Yeah, absolutely! Just make sure the backstory is good and relatively plausible.

Ayreonia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Ayreonia » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:58 pm

My app:

Nation name: Scandinavian Commonwealth
Form of Government: Parliamentary democracy, de facto single-party state
Capital City: Stockom
Governing Body: The Commonwealth Congress, de facto the Scandinavian National Front party
Economic Policy: State Capitalist
Land Claims: Norway, Sweden and Finland
Colony Claims: A small research station on PROXCNT-3-2, a Moon colony, colonies on Mars, Mercury, Europa and Titan
Head of State or equivalent: Prime Minister Markus Ehnroth
Flag: [picture or description] A black Scandinavian Cross on a white field
Motto: The North, together

Total Population: approx. 20 million
- of which on Earth: vast majority
- of which in Sol: 25 600
- of which in Proxima: 120

Cultures:
- 35% Swedish
- 25% Finnish
- 20% Norwegian
- 20% other (immigrants and descendants from all over the world)
Religions:
- 45% Protestant
- 15% Islamic
- 40% other (minor ones and nonreligious people)
Military: Cadre army: high officers and certain units are professional, the majority a conscript force

Free-form description of your nation: Coming soon

Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:51 pm

Tag, app coming tomorrow.
A question, can some of my ships be powered through use of human cerebral cortex like this space station in space station?
Last edited by Great Nepal on Sun Nov 29, 1995 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ayreonia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Ayreonia » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:18 pm

Great Nepal wrote:Tag, app coming tomorrow.
A question, can some of my ships be powered through use of human cerebral cortex like this space station in space station?

Looks pretty hi-tech, considering this RP is set in the year 2121... I'll think about it.

Lunas Legion
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Lunas Legion » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:36 pm

You do know there are 2 types of G.E.C.K- the terraforming matter-recombining one and the West Coast one, which is just a small fusion reactor, instructions on how to build small adobe buildings and Radiation-resistant seeds.

Otherwise, I might get a App up later (reserving Japan/S.Korea./N.Korea/Pacific Islands.)
Last edited by Lunas Legion on Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Last edited by William Slim Wed Dec 14 1970 10:35 pm, edited 35 times in total.

Confirmed member of Kyloominati, Destroyers of Worlds Membership can be applied for here

Photana
Senator

Founded: Jun 03, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Photana » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:46 pm

Nation name: The United Arab States
Form of Government: Fascist Autocracy
Capital City: Mecca
Governing Body: The United Arab Party. All other parties are banned, and the Party, as a whole, rules by decree.
Economic Policy: The UAS has begun to run low on oil, and has been using the vast stack of cash that were left over from the Oil Age to begin to promote local industries, and are transferring from a mostly export-focused economy to a more domestic economy, based around production and sale of goods.
Land Claims: Iraq, Kuwait, Syria, Jordan, Lebanon, Israel, the Arabian Peninsula, Egypt.
Colony Claims: A small space monitoring station outside of PROXCNT-3. Around 100 souls are kept on the station. A few colonies on Luna, Mining Colonies in the Asteroid belt, and a colony on Mars, near Olympus Mons.
Head of State or equivalent: Party Leader Ahmed Akbar.
Flag:

Motto: "Allah wills. We obey."

Total Population: 220 Million
- of which on Earth: Vast Majority.
- of which in Sol: 21,567
- of which in Proxima: 100

Cultures:Arab: 88%, Kurdish: 9%, Other: 3%
Religions: Sunni Islam: 80%, Shi'ite Islam: 14%, Other Muslim Sects: 4%, Other: 2%
Military: Cadre, Most units are conscripted into duty, taught the basics of fighting, given a weapon, and sent to their post. If they show courage during their service, and are promoted, they receive additional training and are fully recruited into the Armed Forces.

Free-form description of your nation: Self-Perpetuating Autocracy based off of the exploitation of the workers, who are nearly brainwashed into willing service by religious and nationalistic fervor. The Party rules with absolute authority, and entrance into the party is gained by passing a basic aptitude test. Once inside the Party, one is given the customary 4 wives allowed by Islamic Law, and moved to the capital. The Capital is shut off to non-Muslims, and usually those who are not in the Party have very limited access to the capital. Inside the capital, the Party decides what course the nation will take, and this information is distributed through official channels. Basically, this is a religious version of Oceania in 1984.

RP example: http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=248013
AH, PMT, some FT.

Your test scores indicate that you are an open-minded ultra-progressive; this is the political profile one might associate with a journalist. It appears that you are skeptical towards religion, and have a generally optimistic attitude towards humanity in general.
Your attitudes towards economics appear neither committedly capitalist nor socialist, and combined with your social attitudes this creates the picture of someone who would generally be described as a liberal.
To round out the picture you appear to be, political preference aside, a considerate idealistic egalitarian with many strong convictions.

Ayreonia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Ayreonia » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:53 pm

Lunas Legion wrote:You do know there are 2 types of G.E.C.K- the terraforming matter-recombining one and the West Coast one, which is just a small fusion reactor, instructions on how to build small adobe buildings and Radiation-resistant seeds.

Otherwise, I might get a App up later (reserving Japan/S.Korea./N.Korea/Pacific Islands.)

I meant the first one, which is pretty much magic, as far as science goes. My main point with it is that terraformation is unrealistic, at least on a short scale.

Lunas Legion
Post Czar

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Lunas Legion » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:04 pm

Ayreonia wrote:
Lunas Legion wrote:You do know there are 2 types of G.E.C.K- the terraforming matter-recombining one and the West Coast one, which is just a small fusion reactor, instructions on how to build small adobe buildings and Radiation-resistant seeds.

I meant the first one, which is pretty much magic, as far as science goes. My main point with it is that terraformation is unrealistic, at least on a short scale.

The second type is the original GECK and the better GECK.

Confirmed member of Kyloominati, Destroyers of Worlds Membership can be applied for here

Ayreonia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Ayreonia » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:34 am

Lunas Legion wrote:
Ayreonia wrote:I meant the first one, which is pretty much magic, as far as science goes. My main point with it is that terraformation is unrealistic, at least on a short scale.

The second type is the original GECK and the better GECK.

That's not the point. Don't get too caught up with it. :p

Ayreonia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Ayreonia » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:38 am

Photana wrote:Nation name: The United Arab States
Form of Government: Fascist Autocracy
Capital City: Mecca
Governing Body: The United Arab Party. All other parties are banned, and the Party, as a whole, rules by decree.
Economic Policy: The UAS has begun to run low on oil, and has been using the vast stack of cash that were left over from the Oil Age to begin to promote local industries, and are transferring from a mostly export-focused economy to a more domestic economy, based around production and sale of goods.
Land Claims: Iraq, Kuwait, Syria, Jordan, Lebanon, Israel, the Arabian Peninsula, Egypt.
Colony Claims: A small space monitoring station outside of PROXCNT-3. Around 100 souls are kept on the station. A few colonies on Luna, Mining Colonies in the Asteroid belt, and a colony on Mars, near Olympus Mons.
Head of State or equivalent: Party Leader Ahmed Akbar.
Flag:
Motto: "Allah wills. We obey."

Total Population: 220 Million
- of which on Earth: Vast Majority.
- of which in Sol: 21,567
- of which in Proxima: 100

Cultures:Arab: 88%, Kurdish: 9%, Other: 3%
Religions: Sunni Islam: 80%, Shi'ite Islam: 14%, Other Muslim Sects: 4%, Other: 2%
Military: Cadre, Most units are conscripted into duty, taught the basics of fighting, given a weapon, and sent to their post. If they show courage during their service, and are promoted, they receive additional training and are fully recruited into the Armed Forces.

Free-form description of your nation: Self-Perpetuating Autocracy based off of the exploitation of the workers, who are nearly brainwashed into willing service by religious and nationalistic fervor. The Party rules with absolute authority, and entrance into the party is gained by passing a basic aptitude test. Once inside the Party, one is given the customary 4 wives allowed by Islamic Law, and moved to the capital. The Capital is shut off to non-Muslims, and usually those who are not in the Party have very limited access to the capital. Inside the capital, the Party decides what course the nation will take, and this information is distributed through official channels. Basically, this is a religious version of Oceania in 1984.

RP example: http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=248013

I'd like a description on how such a nation came, mostly to sync it with other player histories but also out of curiosity.

Lunas Legion
Post Czar

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Lunas Legion » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:45 am

CODE: SELECT ALL
Nation name: [in the RP, not your NS one] Greater Asian Union
Form of Government: Constutional Monarchy
Capital City: Kyoto
Governing Body: The Senate of the Union
Economic Policy: Lassez-Faire capitalism
Land Claims: [on Earth] Japan, N/S Korea, Pacific Islands, Brunei, Indonesia, Brunei, Papua New Guinea, Malaysia, Singapore, Philipines, Taiwan
Colony Claims: [note that the colonies in Proxima are small and undeveloped. No military bases or large mining installations] Two small mining installations in the Proxima asteroid belt, 10 oil extraction platforms on Titan, a Lunar shipyard and colony (called New Tokyo, a scattering of asteroid belt mines, small civilian colonies on Europa, Titan, Titania and a research station on Pluto.
Head of State or equivalent: Emperor Ido Mokuaja
Flag: [picture or description] Japanese Imperial flag
Motto: For a Greater Asia

Total Population: [for the love of [REDACTED], keep it realistic] 775 million
- of which on Earth: vast majority
- of which in Sol: 19,000
- of which in Proxima: 300

Cultures: [list all & give ratios in percentage]
Indonesian 30%
Malaysian 25%
Filipino- 15%
Japanese 10%
Korean 10%
Chinese- 5%
Pacific Islander 3%
Other 2%

Religions: [same as above] 25% Islamic, 20% Buddhism, 5% Catholic, 3% Other Christainity, 5% Other religions, 42% Athiest
Military: [drafted, cadre, professional...] Volunteer Army- people volunteer to serve in the armed forces but conscription can be used if the Senate reaches a 2/3 majority vote on it. The Army is a purely defensive/peacekeeping force.

Free-form description of your nation: History: The Greater Asian Union is a union of the main East Asian powers formed after a massive recession in that area during the 1990s. Following the death of Kim Jong-Un with no designated heir, North Korea decended into anarchy which was soon taken advantage of by the Japanese and South Koreans. North Korea was absorbed by South Korea, creating the united Korean Republic.

Then the recession hit. The Japanese and Korean industries were hard hit and both countries found themselves in desperate financial circumstances along with nations such as Indonesia, Malaysia and Thailand.

In 1998, with the recession showing no signs of recovery, Japan proposed a EU-like scheme covering itself, Korea, Indonesia, Malaysia, Brunei, Papua New Guinea, the Philipines, Taiwan and the various Pacific islands.

Over the years this slowly grew from a simple EU-like scheme into a state where the countries were practically merged together as one state. This was formalised in 2027 with the Tokyo pact, where the Greater Asian Union was born, with Japan at its head.

From there the GAU expanded, stabilising itself and beginning its space program with its first colonies established in the Asteroid belt and on the moon.

Spearheaded by their scientific advances, the GAU soon expanded its spacial colonies and was involved in the Wormhole Rush in 2103 when the GAU established its Proxima outposts.

Naval sign is GAU##-(Abbreviated City) The GAU operates on simple principles- each individual state (Korea, Brunei, Malaysian Sultanates, Indonesian subdivisions,etc) pools their tax income into a central government (The Senate) who then allocate the funds to the state governments who spent it as they wish.

Elections are also simple- everyone of voting age (17) places a vote for the Prime Minister and a vote for their State's Senate representative.

RP example: To be found.
Last edited by Lunas Legion on Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:03 am, edited 5 times in total.

Jamessonia
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Jamessonia » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:12 am

Nation name: The Commonwealth of the British Isles [in the RP, not your NS one]
Form of Government: Parliamentary Democracy
Capital City: Dublin
Governing Body: [senate, parliament, single party...] Parliament
Economic Policy: Free Trade with light protectionist policies.
Land Claims: [on Earth] Scotland, Wales, England, Ireland.
Colony Claims: [note that the colonies in Proxima are small and undeveloped. No military bases or large mining installations] Small village of New Dublin (the second planet).
Head of State or equivalent: Prime Minister James Albatross
Flag: [picture or description] Like the UK flag but instead of red, white and blue it is green, white and orange.
Motto: The Commonwealth keeps us going.

Total Population: [for the love of [REDACTED], keep it realistic] 94,003,000
- of which on Earth: 92,000,000
- of which in Sol: 2,000,000
- of which in Proxima: 3,000

Cultures: English (56%), Scottish (22%), Irish (20%), Welsh (2%) [list all & give ratios in percentage]
Religions:[same as above] Christian (70%), Atheist (20%), Other (10%)
Military: [drafted, cadre, professional...] Professional

Free-form description of your nation: The Commonwealth of the British Isles came about when the British economy crashed in the late 21st century. The nation was plunged into an anarchy of looting, destroying, killing and violence. The Irish government stepped in, along with the newly declared republics of Wales and Scotland, and after a decade or so finally managed to bring order. The members of this coalition knew that in this age of large governments and corporations that they could not stay separate and independent. Ireland, having taken the most damage during this time, was chosen as the ceremonial leader for the Commonwealth. The Commonwealth has thus far established a small colony in Proxima, and is at the forefront of technology and power.

RP example: [I DEMAND this, unless I invited you OR your app is very good] http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?p=15711110#p15711110
Last edited by Jamessonia on Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Last edited by Max Stirner on Thu June 26, 1856, edited 48 times in total.
Economic Left/Right: -6.5
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.31
“We are convinced that liberty without socialism is privilege, injustice; and that socialism without liberty is slavery and brutality.”
- Mikhail Bakunin

"I shall find enough anyhow who unite with me without swearing allegiance to my flag."
- Max Stirner

Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:32 am

Nation name: Republic of South Asia
Form of Government: Single-party totalitarian republic
Capital City: Kathmandu
Governing Body: President
Economic Policy: Capitalist
Land Claims: South Asia and Tibet
Colony Claims: Oil "mining" colony in Titan, Moon production colony (for production of space installations and spaceships), civilian colonies in Mars, Europa and Triton. Penal colony in Charon. Very small research establishment in Io to research on volcanic activity (mostly uninhabited and automated), Small civilian/ research instillation in Proxcnt-4 which government hopes to develop into a massive factory just like moon is in sol.
Head of State or equivalent: President Gaurav Shumsher Chhetri
Flag:

Motto: जन्मभूमिश्च स्वर्गादपि गरीयसी (janmabhūmiśca svargādapi garīyasī), The motherland are greater than heaven

Total Population: 1,600,000,000 (projection population of India alone in 2100)
- of which on Earth: 1,539,997,000
- of which in Sol (excluding earth): 60,000,000
- of which in Proxima: 3000

Cultures:
Nepalese (including Greater Nepal area): 32%
Afghan: 30%
South Indian: 10%
Burmese: 8%
North Indian: 5%
Pakistani: 5%
Bangladeshi: 2%
Others (immigrants, Tibetan, Bhutanese etc): 8%

Religions:
Hinduism: 55%
Islam: 23%
Buddhism: 10%
Non-religious: 10%
Other: 2%

Military: Armed forces is highly trained, focusing on quality of training and equipments over quantity. Armed forces can be broadly divided into two groups: expeditionary and internal. Expeditionary forces are professional soldiers, not much unlike modern troops.

Internal forces however are professional cadre, who were severely indoctrinated and put through gruelling series of training lasting for ten years in severest of conditions, not only physically but psychologically as well. By end of ten year training, 30% end up dead, 20% are deemed mentally incompetent, 10% are severely injured and 10% are deemed too injured for military service thus giving graduation rate of mere 30%. However, the 30% are the elite, almost superhuman who are devoid of emotions like empathy and fanatically loyal to no one but the president and who will follow every order, no matter how suicidal it may be. One division (20,000 troops) of this unit is deployed in every district, two divisions of this unit is deployed in Nepal and Afghanistan so as to ensure the capitol and military recruitment/ training/ production is safe is safe. In addition to this, there are several reserve of this divisions. Highest unit of the internal forces is a division which is commanded by major generals who report to no one but president directly. They act to enforce law and order in districts as well as suppress any riots, rebellion, resurrection in addition to repealing possible invasion of the motherland.

History: The republic can trace its history back to December 1985 when SAARC was formed between seven South Asian nations to be a mutual development and economic organisation rather than military alliance and Afghanistan joined in 2007 creating a eight nation organisation. While, this was supposed to be purely economic organisation, it slowly grew to be more than that and a military and political alliance despite several attempts by national leaders to deny this. When SAARC cabinet decided to implement a decree which required national laws to be approved by it before taking effect, Pakistani government was outraged and declared its withdrawal from the organisation in late-august 2013, this however could not be allowed and SAARC cabinet ordered every government to mobilise their forces and declared commencement of "international deployment of force for peacekeeping operation". Pakistani forces were simply overwhelmed and Pakistani government was forced to capitulate in early-October 2013. SAARC cabinet then installed a new government in Pakistan, and gave each member state parts of the Pakistan to oversee so as to ensure peace and stability of region was never threatened again.

Regardless of what the cabinet said, implication was clear: "you do not leave SAARC". Chinese government condemned this action against Pakistan, mobilising its forces and SAARC members replied in kind. Several diplomatic talks to resolve the situation was unsuccessful and nuclear weapons were readied, locked on each other's cities and military installations, both side even to this day claims it did not lock its nuclear weapons first however in all likelihood, they were already pointed at each other's cities for decades since tensions between two governments were always high. This situation lasted for entire decade, both sides had hundreds of nuclear weapons locked on other's territory and capable of launching those weapons by pressing a single button. During this decade there were diplomatic talks almost every week, and leaders from both side met over twenty times however, there was still no solution and more nuclear weapons were just being produced to target at opponent with hope that they would back down first. During this ten year period, SAARC built several secure underground cities to protect against nuclear attacks as well as fallout after that, most of which were under major cities. Eventually, after entire decade of living on the edge, nations making progress in space and enough nuclear weapons pointed on both sides to irradiate entire world several times, both sides agreed with international mediation attempts to settle for status quo but with agreement that neither side would expand further in any nation which was bordered by the other side.

The nuclear weapons arsenal was reduced, some sold to nations without nuclear capabilities, some to shady organisations and some converted to shuttles for extra-terrestrial missions, all of which improve the economy of SAARC. During the cold war with China, the political ties had strengthened and indivudal nations were nothing more than states. Using the nuclear weapons that were produced during ten year long cold war, SAARC launched several missions to several planets in the Sol as well as first mission to Titan where one of first human extraterrestrial bases was established in 2038, funded by the government and companies to mine oil.

After which, the government started to establish other colonies as well as other establishments and things were going rather well on earth as well, people were content, economy was booming and foreign relations weren't that bad however, just them Tajikistan signed protectorate agreement with China after facing sanctions from SAARC over extradition issues in 2040. The cabinet took this as gross violation of treaty of 2023, demanding Chinese rescind their agreement with Tajikistan. When Chinese government refused, the cabinet declared war on Myanmar in retaliation which was followed by Chinese declaration of war against nations bordering SAARC. Following an accidental border incident in Kashmir where shots were fired by a side which killed no one, there was full blown war between both sides within matter of minutes however, anxious to repeat the cold war, neither side used nuclear weapons. After five years of war, the result was an stalemate with neither side moving an inch in either direction however, just then military high command had a stroke of genius: take the war out of earth thus leading to first extraterrestrial conflict where SAARC forces made one victory after another. In 2048, peace accord was reached between China and SAARC which meant China surrendered control of Tibet, paid a small reparation and established 20 mile no-man's land along the border with SAARC. In return, all captured extraterrestrial colonies were to be return to Chinese government. In addition to this, region of influences were carved out which were extraordinarily complicated, encompassing over five thousand pages and negotiations over it lasted for five whole years.

In simplistic terms however, it gave SAARC influence over everything in Asia below 35th parallel north unless it was already controlled by China while giving China influence over everything above 40th parallel north in Asia unless it was already controlled by SAARC. Soon Myanmar was invaded by SAARC as allowed by the compromise, soon overwhelming it. In all this though, people had grown discontent with the government and the endless war. When SAARC cabinet attempted to formalize what was already reality by declaring its territory Republic of South Asia. This however pushed many people over the edge, and there was wide-scale rebellion in India, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka and Maldives. Afghanistan and Nepal was one of the few original member states that remained loyal to the new republic, mostly because they were region where people were most well-off and well treated, either because they were home to the capitol like Nepal or because they were home for military training and recruitment like Afghanistan.

To lead the civil war, cabinet established a position of "president", who would act like Roman dictator. The civil war ended after two years with victory of the republic, especially when southern India switched sides when it was obvious who was going to emerge victorious. To prevent such thing from ever happening, people were cleansed off and rebellious regions was segregated to districts: travel between which were strictly forbidden unless it was with official permit given by the government. Only two regions do not have such district system: Nepal and Afghanistan however entry/ exit from these regions is still highly regulated.

After the victory, cabinet voted to make the position of president a permanent one, it is still subject of wide debate if this is was out of their own accord or because president demanded it be done. However, regardless president would be elected hereditarily by the cabinet, which would assemble after death of the reining president. Over last century, people have been content at the very least, mostly because of lack of access to outside world in the districts and frankly, as long as people get food on their tables and decent entertainment, they have grown to be loyal to the government plus there is whole thing about indoctrination.

Free-form description of your nation: I think everything is covered in history section, if you want information on anything else just ask. In case you haven't noticed, it is modelled around Panem.

RP example: viewtopic.php?ns=1&f=31&t=253817
Last edited by Great Nepal on Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

Lunas Legion
Post Czar

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Lunas Legion » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:46 am

Nepal, Asian allies?

Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:46 am

Lunas Legion wrote:Nepal, Asian allies?

Sure.

Strykla
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Strykla » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:50 am

Tag.
Lord Justice Clerk of the Classical Royalist Party, NSG Senate. Hail, Companion!

Ayreonia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Ayreonia » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:37 am

That's a lot of stuff to look over. I'll pass verdicts when I get home from work. From what I've seen, all the apps look good so far.

Thanks for the interest and remember to tell your friends about this RP!

San Monteriano
Minister

Founded: Nov 13, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby San Monteriano » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:25 am

Is Europe taken yet? If so I'll find another idea, I love the concept of this RP.
Monarch: Caterina I, HRDM
Prime Minister: Cristina S'Forza (PD)
Capital: San Monteriano (city)
National Language: Italian; English
Demonym: San Monteriani/Monterianese
RP Population: 62.5 million
Anthem
Cosmopoles wrote:
Tunasai wrote:Why would he make this up though?

Can I interest you in these magic beans I'm selling?

Ceannairceach wrote:If I were optimistic, I'd never be pleasantly surprised.

Wisconsin9 wrote:Every vegetarian and vegan in the world is sitting back and laughing cruelly at you right now. Or at least one is. Eh, close enough.

Tagmatium wrote:Yes - anything else is wishful thinking or wilful ignorance.

Without the EU, the UK is nothing but a backwater with delusions of grandeur and a history of empire.

"RENLY IS NOT RIGHT!" - Galbart Glover

Lunas Legion
Post Czar

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Lunas Legion » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:28 am

San Monteriano wrote:Is Europe taken yet? If so I'll find another idea, I love the concept of this RP.

Europe is still open. Only the Middle East, India, Korea, Japam and South East Asia have been taken.

Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:45 am

Lunas Legion wrote:
San Monteriano wrote:Is Europe taken yet? If so I'll find another idea, I love the concept of this RP.

Europe is still open. Only the Middle East, India, Korea, Japam and South East Asia have been taken.

I think this is first RP where Asia is almost filled while Europe and America is empty...

Lunas Legion
Post Czar

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Lunas Legion » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:46 am

Great Nepal wrote:
Lunas Legion wrote:

I think this is first RP where Asia is almost filled while Europe and America is empty...

It's a reverse RP. But I wanted Japan/Korea/ the others so I could have a slight technological advantage but less production.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse