NATION

PASSWORD

Salem 1692 (RP/OOC/Signups Semi-Open)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!
Nature-Spirits
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 25, 2011
Ex-Nation

Salem 1692 (RP/OOC/Signups Semi-Open)

Postby Nature-Spirits » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:41 am

IC
You've probably heard of the Salem witch trials of 1692-1693. But have you ever wondered what it would be like to actually be there? Or to be, in fact, one of the witches of Salem? Well then, here I present to you: Salem 1692.
A strange and mysterious witch arrived in Salem just in time for Yule, or the Winter Solstice. The local coven welcomed her, for even though she seemed off, it was the celebration of the God's annual birth by the Goddess and the transfer of power from the Holly King to the Oak King. She stayed for the entire celebration period, being hidden from the townsfolk by a spell. It was after she'd finally gained the coven's trust that she struck.
A curse was cast upon the people, causing fits and irrational behaviour. The coven, in their panic, captured and spellbound the witch, locking her powers up, before casting her out into the cold countryside, not realising what the future held.
Now, Bridget Bishop, the head of the Salem Coven and one of the New World's most powerful witches, has just been killed, the first of many. The coven is scattering, convening in full only at the Sabbats and not at every full and new moon, as tradition entails, though sometimes two or even three of them will meet at a time to convey messages and news from other coven members. It is now Litha, or the Summer Solstice, just about a week after Bridget's death, and a meeting of all the witches in the area has been called.

Most witches only have three powers, though some, like Bridget Bishop, have had more. Powers include:
  • Control over water
  • Control over fire
  • Control over wind
  • Telekinesis
  • Telepathy (of which there are two parts: silent speech [speaking into someone's mind and hearing the reply], and memory reading [reaching into someone’s mind and forcibly reading their memories, perhaps even altering them])
  • Charms (for stealth, better eyesight, invisibility, warding off curses)
  • Flight
  • Clairvoyance (seeing ghosts, nature spirits, and auras [which betray people's emotions as well as whether they are witches or humans])
  • Remote viewing
  • Invocation (offering one's own body as a vessel for a nearby nature spirit, thereby temporarily gaining powerful elemental powers, though this cannot be done for an extended period of time lest the spirit take over; furthermore nature spirits only exist where their corresponding element also exists, so you'd be hard-pressed to find a water spirit in the desert or a fire spirit in the middle of the ocean)
  • Enhanced physical abilities (strength, speed, agility, etc. - nothing too extreme though)
  • Animal shapeshifting (transforming at will into a single type of animal; if you can change into a wolf you can't change into a raven and vice-versa. Also, it can't be maintained for more than about an hour lest they begin losing their humanity)
  • Cursing (causing misfortune and sickness to the target) - non-playable
  • Precognition - non-playable

Witches
Somewhere along the evolutionary line humans split into two distinct groups; not different enough to be considered separate species but not similar enough to be considered the same species. We refer to these two 'races,' if you will, as 'witches' and 'humans,' referring respectively to those who can manipulate their environment and bend the laws of physics, and those who can't. For a long time they coexisted peacefully, but in the recent centuries the humans have grown more and more distrustful, so the witches had to go into hiding. Slowly human knowledge of witches has diminished, but they continue to remember their existence.
Ghosts, poltergeists and banshees
Ghosts are the spirits of dead humans. Most of them discover that they're dead and that the supernatural is very real very quickly, and eventually they accept it and get on with their afterlives. They can see the world of the living, but only the few witches possessing clairvoyance can see them, and they're fine with that, because as far as they're concerned nothing that occurs in the physical world really affects them, and they can't affect the physical world either, so why should the living matter to them? They remain ghosts for a few centuries before rejoining the reincarnation cycle.
For dead witches it's very different. They become poltergeists, a class of ghost that can affect the physical world whenever they please - though other than being able to pick things up they're basically powerless. They may as well be regular humans, though they can choose to not interact with the physical world, in which case they seem like regular ghosts until they wish to interact with materials again. They can choose between remaining ghosts for a few centuries before rejoining the cycle, and immediately reincarnating.
Then there are banshees. Frightful, skeletal figures with an ear-splitting scream that strikes terror into the most powerful of witches, they are those who died while a curse was laid upon them. They can't interact with the physical in the way that poltergeists can, but their screams can be heard by all but a deaf person. They are best to be avoided, but if that's impossible then the only alternative is for an exorcist to touch them, obliterating the banshee completely. They never reincarnate.
Nature spirits
Nature spirits, also called elementals, are the spirits that have existed as such since the world's creation, tethered to the same place by their very nature; elementals, as the name would imply, exist only where their corresponding element also exists.

There are some witch hunters who are simply ignorant humans searching blindly about for witches and end up accusing humans 75% of the time; these present a mild threat, to be cautious around. Then there are those with a copy of the Malleus Maleficarum, which, while inaccurate at best, still provides useful information; these present a slightly larger threat. And then there are exorcists.
Exorcists are those who had witch ancestors with nearly no powers and ended up marrying humans and having powerless children. These children married yet more humans, producing more powerless children and further diluting the bloodline. This goes on for generations, the magic lying dormant, until finally a child is born who has just a drop of magic in their veins; enough to be useful, but not enough for them to be a witch. These are exorcists, and while they generally pose no threat to the witches, if one becomes aligned with the Church and becomes a witch hunter, they can be a hazard. Exorcists have the uncanny ability to tell who is a witch and who isn't through eye contact and engaging in conversation with them, and they are immune to magic, meaning that they remain unaffected by curses, are hidden from a witch's precognition and remote viewing, can bypass charms, are untouched by telepathy and telekinesis, and the elements under a witch's control can't get near them. They are basically big voids, the absolute antithesis of witches. They can also tell when a witch is lying to them as an extra bonus. However, witches with clairvoyance can also tell what they are, as they have no auras.

1. I am OP. Ergo, I am God of this RP and my word is law (don't worry, I'm a semi-reasonable person).
  2. No godmodding. Godmods will be ignored. (If you've already worked it out with the other person please tell me.)
  3. Respect each other.
  4. Try to get at least 3 lines into each post. If you literally can't, that's fine, but please, try.
  5. I expect everyone to use proper spelling, grammar, and sentence structure.
  6. If you decide to drop out, please notify me.
  7. If you are absent for a week I will TG you; if I receive no reply after two days I will kick you out (if you do choose to return please explain your absence). The exception to this rule is if you tell me beforehand that you will be absent.
  8. I reserve the right to decline applications as well as to kick you out. (Don't worry, I won't abuse this right.)
  9. I reserve the right to ask for an explanation for any rulebreaking and to ask you to edit godmods out of your post.

Code: Select all
[b]Name:[/b] (first and last name; if you want to use the name of a historical figure you can use the Wikipedia article (1), though historical accuracy really isn't really necessary as we'll probably completely obliterate history anyway)
[b]Race:[/b] (witch, human or exorcist)
[b]Age:[/b] (in years, please; please note that witch lifespans are no longer than those of humans)
[b]Gender:[/b] (male or female? Please note that witches can be either)
[b]Appearance:[/b] (a picture or good description)
[b]Personality:[/b] (what is your character like to interact with?)
[b]Profession:[/b] (AKA job; what your character does)
[b]Powers:[/b] (3 maximum - please note that I have labelled some of the powers on the list as non-playable; you may also suggest a power not on the list, although you may not get it)
[b]Bio:[/b] (A short paragraph on notable features of their life)
[b]RP Sample:[/b] (A link to some of your previous work or a few paragraphs of what your first post might look like)

(1) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_pe ... tch_trials

Last edited by Nature-Spirits on Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:08 am, edited 18 times in total.
I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith.
P2TM Translation Service Thread
A Proud Portal Nationalist
The P2TM Depot – for all your RPing needs

Cosplaying as a Posadist | LOVEWHOYOUARE~ | Kinky Syndicalist

Nature-Spirits
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nature-Spirits » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:46 am

Bump.

Firstaria
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 29, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Firstaria » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:52 am

Name: Gabriel Antinori
Race: Exorcist
Appearance: Image
Personality: It's very interested in paranormal and in find a way to connect it to the work of God more than the devil.
Profession: Paranormal Investigator for the Church
Powers: Keys of San Pietro - With his touch, he can judge a soul of any being and recover his soul to bring him back from death (if he didn't died too much time before) or can by constant contact send a soul to hell and kill it. He can use this power to talk with ghosts, granted that he's touching part of their body or things really close to them. He's highly vulnerable and not aware of his surrounding while using his power.

Heaven example http://www.video.mediaset.it/video/il_tredicesimo_apostolo/clip/275595/abbiamo-la-prova-che-ci-serviva.html
Hell example http://www.video.mediaset.it/video/il_tredicesimo_apostolo/clip/282675/un-grande-potere.html

Bio: Raised by a cardinal, Gabriel is part of the Angelicum, a secret church organization that searches for miracles and hunt paranormal to bring it closer to God. He discovered the use of his powers during his investigations, but doesn't like to use it if not in dire circumstances. He could become an high personality in the organization, if he would just abandon the idea that magic can be used also as a gift of God.
He has been sent on Salem to finally confirm or deny the voices about the place once for all.

RP Sample: Come on you know me! And I know my power doesn't really enter into the great part of things, but I really love this character and to use it would be great.
OVERLORD Daniel Mercury of Firstaria
Original Author of SC #5 and SC #30

Nature-Spirits
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nature-Spirits » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:12 am

Hmm.... The power is really too much for an exorcist methinks.... I'm willing to allow you the second power ("talk with ghosts, granted that he's touching part of their body"), but not the other things; those are really more suited to an extremely powerful witch and well beyond an exorcist's scope of power. Also, Heaven and Hell don't really exist in this universe. :p
So accepted, given you remove the other powers.

Firstaria
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Firstaria » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:17 am

Nature-Spirits wrote:Hmm.... The power is really too much for an exorcist methinks.... I'm willing to allow you the second power ("talk with ghosts, granted that he's touching part of their body"), but not the other things; those are really more suited to an extremely powerful witch and well beyond an exorcist's scope of power. Also, Heaven and Hell don't really exist in this universe. :p

:eyebrow: I'm deluded. Then I'll work on another app. No way I'm gonna do a crappy exorcist.

Nature-Spirits
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nature-Spirits » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:19 am

Firstaria wrote:
Nature-Spirits wrote:Hmm.... The power is really too much for an exorcist methinks.... I'm willing to allow you the second power ("talk with ghosts, granted that he's touching part of their body"), but not the other things; those are really more suited to an extremely powerful witch and well beyond an exorcist's scope of power. Also, Heaven and Hell don't really exist in this universe. :p

:eyebrow: I'm deluded. Then I'll work on another app. No way I'm gonna do a crappy exorcist.

Keep in mind exorcists can't be affected by magic though.

Greymark
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jan 19, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Greymark » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:28 am

Also, just as a historical note: a Catholic man - let alone a priest - in 1692 Puritan Salem would be strung up from the nearest tree. These were people who quite literally believed that the Pope was Antichrist, and that his minions were servants of Satan.

That being said, I might put an app up for this myself.

Firstaria
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Firstaria » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:31 am

Greymark wrote:Also, just as a historical note: a Catholic man - let alone a priest - in 1692 Puritan Salem would be strung up from the nearest tree. These were people who quite literally believed that the Pope was Antichrist, and that his minions were servants of Satan.

If you know the series he cames from, Gabriel already dealt with puritans with extreme success.

I'll still app as an Exorcist then, if they actually are COMPLETELY immune to magic.

Nature-Spirits
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nature-Spirits » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:34 am

Firstaria wrote:
Greymark wrote:Also, just as a historical note: a Catholic man - let alone a priest - in 1692 Puritan Salem would be strung up from the nearest tree. These were people who quite literally believed that the Pope was Antichrist, and that his minions were servants of Satan.

If you know the series he cames from, Gabriel already dealt with puritans with extreme success.

I'll still app as an Exorcist then, if they actually are COMPLETELY immune to magic.

"Exorcists have the uncanny ability to tell who is a witch and who isn't, and they are immune to magic, meaning that they remain unaffected by curses, are hidden from a witch's precognition and remote viewing, can bypass charms, are untouched by telepathy and telekinesis, and the elements under a witch's control can't get near them."

Lambrinisia
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 06, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Lambrinisia » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:37 am

Name: Casi Delasy
Race: Witch
Appearance: Very tall, fairly muscular. Brown hair, blue eyes.
Personality: Casi is very calm but when he preaches, his voice is loud and booming. He instills the fear of God in his congregation but into certain members, he has given them the gift of the Devil.
Profession: Reverand (witch priest! :D) and farmer on his home farm.
Powers: Rejection - Driving out the good spirit within someone and implanting them with a faithful demon (branch of Telepathy). Control over wind. Clairvoyance.
Bio: Casi Delasy grew up on a farm outside of Salem to a witch-mother and normal-father. At 18, after being taught at the town's school, he went to join the seminary at his father's insistance. He became ordained and travelled to a few towns, taking on the role of the Reverand. In these towns, he covertly discovered witches and founded covens. Once the Reverand of Salem died in mysterious circumstances, he moved back to his hometown to take his place in front of his home congregation.
RP Sample: Snowpoint Academy

Hope you like. :)
Last edited by Lambrinisia on Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:48 am, edited 3 times in total.
There's a feeling deep inside me,
And it's always there to guide me.
It's in my heart and in my soul,
Leading me to the ultimate goal!
You can try your best this might be fun,
You'll go down in defeat before you've begun!
We are about to commence Operation "Bomb the crap out of your house".
Samuraikoku wrote:You're entitled to your own opinions, your own car and your own plane, but not to your own facts.

Greymark
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Greymark » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:38 am

Firstaria wrote:If you know the series he cames from, Gabriel already dealt with puritans with extreme success.
In the modern day. Not in 1692. It was a completely different world. I repeat: seventeenth-century Puritans lynched Catholics for being Catholics. And Catholics returned the favor. Just a few decades earlier, one of the most destructive wars in the history of Europe took eight million lives - a war fought between Protestants and Catholics. This is not the setting of Il Tredicesimo Apostolo. This is more than three hundred years ago, in a time when hatreds were far stronger, and reason was far weaker.

Greymark
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Greymark » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:42 am

Before I put up an app, I have to ask: what level of historical accuracy and writing ability can we expect here? I've read your stuff, NatSpi, and it is well-written and grammatically correct. Do you intend to require the same level of legibility from other players? And do you intend to hold historical accuracy to the same high standard? I've studied this period intensively, and it fascinates me. So I'm eager to take part in this RP - but that will only make it doubly frustrating if nobody else cares about the history or the English language.

Nature-Spirits
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nature-Spirits » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:47 am

Greymark wrote:Before I put up an app, I have to ask: what level of historical accuracy and writing ability can we expect here? I've read your stuff, NatSpi, and it is well-written and grammatically correct. Do you intend to require the same level of legibility from other players? And do you intend to hold historical accuracy to the same high standard? I've studied this period intensively, and it fascinates me. So I'm eager to take part in this RP - but that will only make it doubly frustrating if nobody else cares about the history or the English language.

Well, obviously we won't be completely historically accurate; that would be quite difficult, and so this Salem will be slightly different from what it actually was at the time for the sake of the plot. You can correct us if any major mistakes are made in regards to history if you do choose to join. Also, I will automatically reject anyone who I have trouble understanding when they write their app, though I don't really care if there are a few minor spelling mistakes.

Dolgavakia
Civil Servant

Founded: Sep 10, 2012
Democratic Socialists

Postby Dolgavakia » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:51 am

Ooo! Ooo! I actually live in what used to be Salem Village!
Sorry, not relevant. But it's great that you guys are doing this.

Greymark
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Greymark » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:53 am

Then I reckon I'll give it a shot. If this gets too frustrating, though, I'll walk. That's not a threat, and I'm not asking for special treatment. I'm just warning you that I won't stay if I'm not having fun, that's all.

That being said, I'll enjoy ranting about historical accuracy on the OOC, and RPing in a time which I know so well. I'll have an app up soon enough.

Lambrinisia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Lambrinisia » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:53 am

Done. :)
Samuraikoku wrote:You're entitled to your own opinions, your own car and your own plane, but not to your own facts.

Nature-Spirits
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nature-Spirits » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:59 am

Lambrinisia wrote:Name: Casi Delasy
Race: Witch
Appearance: Very tall, fairly muscular. Brown hair, blue eyes.
Personality: Casi is very calm but when he preaches, his voice is loud and booming. He instills the fear of God in his congregation but into certain members, he has given them the gift of the Devil.
Profession: Reverand (witch priest! :D) and farmer on his home farm.
Powers: Rejection - Driving out the good spirit within someone and implanting them with a faithful demon (branch of Telepathy). Control over wind. Clairvoyance.
Bio: Casi Delasy grew up on a farm outside of Salem to a witch-mother and normal-father. At 18, after being taught at the town's school, he went to join the seminary at his father's insistance. He became ordained and travelled to a few towns, taking on the role of the Reverand. In these towns, he covertly discovered witches and founded covens. Once the Reverand of Salem died in mysterious circumstances, he moved back to his hometown to take his place in front of his home congregation.
RP Sample: Snowpoint Academy

Hope you like. :)

Accepted.

Firstaria
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Firstaria » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:10 am

Firstaria wrote:Name: Gabriel Antinori
Race: Exorcist
Appearance: (Image)
Personality: It's very interested in paranormal and in find a way to connect it to the work of God more than the devil.
Profession: Paranormal Investigator for the Church
Powers: Ghost vision - Can talk to ghosts.

Bio: Raised by a cardinal, Gabriel is part of the Angelicum, a secret church organization that searches for miracles and hunt paranormal to bring it closer to God. He discovered the use of his powers during his investigations, but doesn't like to use it if not in dire circumstances. He could become an high personality in the organization, if he would just abandon the idea that magic can be used also as a gift of God.
He has been sent on Salem to finally confirm or deny the voices about the place once for all.

RP Sample: Come on you know me! And I know my power doesn't really enter into the great part of things, but I really love this character and to use it would be great.

Then we have a deal.
Last edited by Firstaria on Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Nuclear Fist
Post Czar

Founded: May 02, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Nuclear Fist » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:15 am

I'll have an app up for a Nature Spirit soon.
[23:24] <Marquesan> I have the feeling that all the porn videos you watch are like...set to Primus' music, Ulysses.
Farnhamia wrote:You're getting a little too fond of the jerkoff motions.
And you touch the distant beaches with tales of brave Ulysses. . .
THE ABSOLUTTM MADMAN ESCAPES JUSTICE ONCE MORE

Eireann Fae
Minister

Founded: Oct 15, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Eireann Fae » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:17 am

Oooh, one of my favourite subjects. I'm far too tired to read the whole OP and come up with a character (took me an hour to come up with one this morning), but I'm definitely interested in such an RP.

For now, tagged with the intention of a pyrokinetic witch named Robin, to honour one of my favourite animes :)

Nature-Spirits
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nature-Spirits » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:18 am

The Nuclear Fist wrote:I'll have an app up for a Nature Spirit soon.

kk.

Greymark
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Greymark » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:30 am

The Catholic character from a twenty-first century TV show in seventeenth-century Puritan Massachusetts Bay Colony. Sorry, but that's a deal-breaker for me. If we care that little about historical accuracy, then I'm out. Sorry.

Lambrinisia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Lambrinisia » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:34 am

I'm sure my character will be happy to condemn him as a minion of the Papal antichrist. :)

Who is the character anyway?
Last edited by Lambrinisia on Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nature-Spirits
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nature-Spirits » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:35 am

@Grey: Well, I admit it's a tough decision, and I'm wary about it. And it really does clash with history, I agree. If you're really going to freak out about it I can ask Firstaria whether he would like to change it, but if he doesn't want to I'm sorry.
Besides, most of the witches aren't really Christian anyway.
Last edited by Nature-Spirits on Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Greymark
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Greymark » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:40 am

I'm not going to freak out. I'm just going to walk away, that's all. I'm interested in an RP about Salem in 1692. Salem in 1692 may have included witches - at the very least, the people living there at the time believed that it did, and from the point of view of intellectual history, that's almost the same thing. But Salem in 1692 most definitely did not include Jesuits, except as the far-off bogeymen agents of Antichrist. If we depart that far from history, then this is not the RP which I thought it was, and there's no reason for me to participate - because this is no longer an RP about Salem in 1692.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse