NATION

PASSWORD

NSG Senate Chamber [NSG Senate] - Version 3

A resting-place for threads that might have otherwise been lost.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Kamchastkia
Senator

Founded: Jan 16, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kamchastkia » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:45 pm

Phocidaea wrote:
Ainin wrote:Hate speech is already a crime

Since when? What clause? I must have voted without reading the whole bill for once.

Also, if hate speech is defined there as including insults that do not incite violence, then we best leave it unpunished, because that's ridiculous.

Uhm, the ILA was passed by vote...

Ainin
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 05, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ainin » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:51 pm

Phocidaea wrote:

Since when? What clause? I must have voted without reading the whole bill for once.

Also, if hate speech is defined there as including insults that do not incite violence, then we best leave it unpunished, because that's ridiculous.

The International Law Act ratified (through a friendly amendment proposed by *GN senator name*) the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights, which states any advocacy of national, racial or religious hatred that constitutes incitement to discrimination, hostility or violence shall be prohibited by law.
Republic of Nakong | 內江共和國 | IIwiki · Map · Kylaris
"And when the last law was down, and the Devil turned round on you — where would you hide, Roper, the laws all being flat?"

Phocidaea
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Phocidaea » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:54 pm

Ainin wrote:
Phocidaea wrote:Since when? What clause? I must have voted without reading the whole bill for once.

The International Law Act ratified (through a friendly amendment proposed by *GN senator name*) the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights, which states any advocacy of national, racial or religious hatred that constitutes incitement to discrimination, hostility or violence shall be prohibited by law.

Ah, never mind, no problem then.

That doesn't ban what I think is the most ridiculous overextension of "hate speech" as a term, which means we can still conceivably vote against the new act.
Call me Phoca.
Senator [Unknown] of the Liberal Democrats in NSG Senate.
Je suis Charlie: Because your feels don't justify murder.

The Nihilistic view
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 14, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Nihilistic view » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:57 pm

Phocidaea wrote:

Seconded.

This would effectively outlaw free speech given what some wimps think is insulting and take offence too *Insert well known Stephen Fry quote here*

Hate speech fine, but all insults?
Last edited by The Nihilistic view on Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Slava Ukraini

New Waterford
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 09, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby New Waterford » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:19 pm

The Nihilistic view wrote:
Phocidaea wrote:Since when? What clause? I must have voted without reading the whole bill for once.

Seconded.

This would effectively outlaw free speech given what some wimps think is insulting and take offence too *Insert well known Stephen Fry quote here*

Hate speech fine, but all insults?

Not all insults are banned by this Act.
Economic Left/Right: -8.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.49
Now known IC'ly as An Déise.

Jack Holland
Envoy

Founded: Aug 20, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Jack Holland » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:20 pm

I stand for a DIRECT NO for the bill about Hate Speech. This is a slippery slope argument as who decides what is hate speech. Today, hate speech could be using the "N" word to a person of African descent or saying Hitler was justified in the Holocaust but Tommorrow, Hate Speech could mean anything offensive about the government and could be used as an excuse to attack the Freedom of Press and Freedom of Speech. Hatefull words are the price of free speech just like gridlock and efficiency are the price of democracy.
Proud Member of the Liberal Democrats in the NSG Senate; Join Now!

Maklohi Vai
Minister

Founded: Jan 07, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Maklohi Vai » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:23 pm

Senate President pro Tempore wrote:

I have updated the queue, somewhat stupidly... This queue is so inefficient it's unbelievable... Might have to propose some more amendments myself and people wonder why we have bills from ages ago waiting to be voting on.

Please debate the bills above, time will not be extended etc..

- Battlion

Which is exactly why I was against adding a bill limit to the original SIMBEDS bill when I wrote it. We either choose efficiency and a lot of bills at once or a slow pace with fewer bills.

Now, about the category. Ainin is right that my previous ruling was made under different circumstances, and I don't fault him for that judgement. By law, we must split the category into C and D, so that is what we will do.

And I'll be writing a bill to repeal the category limits, or at least change them significantly. This is out of hand.
"For the glory of our people, we govern our nation freely. For the glory of Polynesia, we help and strengthen our friends. For the glory of the earth, we do not destroy what it has bestowed upon us."
Demonym: Vaian
-Kamanakai Oa'a Pani, first president of Maklohi Vai
-6.13/-8.51 - as of 7/18
Hosted: MVBT 1; WBC 27; Friendly Cups 7, 9; (co-) NSCAA 5
Former President, WBC; WBC Councillor
Senator Giandomenico Abruzzi, Workers Party of Galatea
Administrator
Former:
Head Administrator
Beto Goncalves, Chair, CTA
Abraham Kamassi, Chair, Labour Party of Elizia
President of Calaverde Eduardo Bustamante; Leader, LDP
President of Baltonia Dovydas Kanarigis; Leader, LDP
President of Aurentina Wulukuno Porunalakai; Leader, Progress Coa.

New Bierstaat
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 12, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby New Bierstaat » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:28 pm

Maklohi Vai wrote:

I have updated the queue, somewhat stupidly... This queue is so inefficient it's unbelievable... Might have to propose some more amendments myself and people wonder why we have bills from ages ago waiting to be voting on.

Please debate the bills above, time will not be extended etc..

- Battlion

Which is exactly why I was against adding a bill limit to the original SIMBEDS bill when I wrote it. We either choose efficiency and a lot of bills at once or a slow pace with fewer bills.

Now, about the category. Ainin is right that my previous ruling was made under different circumstances, and I don't fault him for that judgement. By law, we must split the category into C and D, so that is what we will do.

And I'll be writing a bill to repeal the category limits, or at least change them significantly. This is out of hand.

Even raising the limit by one or two would really help cut it down - we'd probably never see a D again.
POLITICAL COMPASS
Economic +2.75
Social +1.28

Thomas Jefferson wrote:I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.

Ainin
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ainin » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:29 pm

Jack Holland wrote:This is a slippery slope argument as who decides what is hate speech.

And that is a slippery slope fallacy.

"Because we ban speech that incites violence and hate, we will soon ban sedition!"
"And when the last law was down, and the Devil turned round on you — where would you hide, Roper, the laws all being flat?"

The Nihilistic view
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Nihilistic view » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:31 pm

New Bierstaat wrote:
Maklohi Vai wrote:Which is exactly why I was against adding a bill limit to the original SIMBEDS bill when I wrote it. We either choose efficiency and a lot of bills at once or a slow pace with fewer bills.

Even raising the limit by one or two would really help cut it down - we'd probably never see a D again.

We should not be seeing a D or even a C now if the Yan had not screwed up the process last week then gone inactive.
Slava Ukraini

Senate President pro Tempore
Civilian

Founded: Jul 28, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Senate President pro Tempore » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:33 pm

Can I ask all discussion of the topic not related to Order C to go to the lobby please.
Current Officer: David Sloman
Questions/Comments/Concerns? Contact us at one of the following:

senatepresprotemp@auremail.com
(103) 265-3984-991

Oneracon
Senator

Founded: Jul 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Oneracon » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:37 am

The Transparent Pricing Act has enough sponsors to be added to Business & Finance.

Transparent Pricing Act
Urgency: Low | Author: Oneracon [RG] | Category: Business & Finance
Sponsors: The Nihilistic view [IP], Kamchastkia [SAP], NEO Rome Republic [NDP], Geilinor [NDP], Fulflood [NDP]

The Senate of the Aurentine Commonwealth,

SEEKING to ensure that customers are aware of the full cost of the goods and services so as to make informed decisions about purchasing,

FURTHER SEEKING to ensure that the share of cost originating from retailers and service providers is made distinct from costs originating from government taxes;

HEREBY ENACTS the following:

Definitions
  1. For the purposes of this Act, "sales tax" shall be defined as any tax levied by the Commonwealth of Aurentina and any subdivisions thereof on goods and/or services.
  2. For the purposes of this Act, "price tag" shall be defined as a label, sticker, tag or other written medium for expressing the price of a specified good.
  3. For the purposes of this Act, "sales receipt" shall be defined as a printed or written record given to a consumer at the point of sale which lists the purchases made.
  4. For the purposes of this Act, "invoice" shall be defined as a document issued to a consumer indicating the products, quantities, and agreed-upon prices for products or services rendered.

Taxes Included in Price Tags
  5. All goods sold in the Commonwealth of Aurentina by public or private entities shall be accompanied by a price tag displaying the price of the goods including all relevant sales tax(es).

Taxes Included in Menus
  6. All menus and equivalents used by food purveyors shall display the price of an item including all relevant sales tax(es).

Sales Receipts and Invoices
  7. All sales receipts and invoices shall include the total price(s) of goods and services rendered including all relevant sales tax(es) as well as the amounts of all relevant sales tax(es) on separate lines below the total price.
Last edited by Oneracon on Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Compass
Economic Left/Right: -8.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.72
Oneracon IC Links
Factbook
Embassies

"The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power"
Pro:LGBTQ+ rights, basic income, secularism, gun control, internet freedom, civic nationalism, non-military national service, independent Scotland, antifa
Anti: Social conservatism, laissez-faire capitalism, NuAtheism, PETA, capital punishment, Putin, SWERF, TERF, GamerGate, "Alt-right" & neo-Nazism, Drumpf, ethnic nationalism, "anti-PC", pineapple on pizza

Your resident Canadian neutral good socdem graduate student.

*Here, queer, and not a prop for your right-wing nonsense.*

Skeckoa
Minister

Founded: Jan 06, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Skeckoa » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:45 am

Ainin wrote:
Jack Holland wrote:This is a slippery slope argument as who decides what is hate speech.

And that is a slippery slope fallacy.

"Because we ban speech that incites violence and hate, we will soon ban sedition!"

It has happened before in many counties, and all it takes is one bad situation to go public and make the whole Senate loo horribly bad to the populace.
One of those PC liberals with anti-colonist sympathies
——————————
————————————
————————————
CALIFORNIA REPUBLIC
————————————

Oneracon
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Oneracon » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:47 am

Skeckoa wrote:
Ainin wrote:And that is a slippery slope fallacy.

It has happened before in many counties, and all it takes is one bad situation to go public and make the whole Senate loo horribly bad to the populace.

And what, pray tell, would be such a bad incident?
Compass
Oneracon IC Links
Factbook
Embassies

Pro:LGBTQ+ rights, basic income, secularism, gun control, internet freedom, civic nationalism, non-military national service, independent Scotland, antifa
Anti: Social conservatism, laissez-faire capitalism, NuAtheism, PETA, capital punishment, Putin, SWERF, TERF, GamerGate, "Alt-right" & neo-Nazism, Drumpf, ethnic nationalism, "anti-PC", pineapple on pizza

The Nihilistic view
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Nihilistic view » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:49 am

Oneracon wrote:
Skeckoa wrote:

The Iron party takes power! :lol:
Slava Ukraini

Oneracon
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Oneracon » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:49 am

Oneracon wrote:

Well then we all might as well flee the country, because there's no going back if that ever happens.
Last edited by Oneracon on Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Compass
Oneracon IC Links
Factbook
Embassies

The Nihilistic view
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Nihilistic view » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:56 am

Oneracon wrote:

Well then we all might as well flee the country, because there's no going back if that ever happens.

Nah, you'll be alright as long as your a citizen.
Slava Ukraini

Venaleria
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Venaleria » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:19 pm

If the admins could update the archive straight away that would be very helpful, I will update it myself if possible.

- Battlion

Again, I must note that you are not SPpT, you are Temporary Secretary, therefore, there is no jurisdiction allowing the Secretary to update the archives. Besides, the admins have come to the conclusion that they will only include links to bills instead of posting them on the thread.
Vice President of Aurentina, representing Lüsen, District 375
Election Commissioner for the Red-Greens Party
NSG Senate Administrator
Ambassador to the Totally Rad Party
Join Sirius. Siriusly.
If you're going to spell my name, spell it correctly. Or you can just call me Ven or Venny.
"Is it behind the bunny?" "It IS the bunny!" -MP

Ainin
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ainin » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:32 pm

Skeckoa wrote:It has happened before in many counties,

Like?

(preferably a country similar to us, and not some hellhole like North Korea)
Last edited by Ainin on Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kamchastkia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Kamchastkia » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:39 pm

Ainin wrote:
Skeckoa wrote:It has happened before in many counties,

Like?

(North Korea isn't a hellhole)

The Nihilistic view
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Nihilistic view » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:41 pm

Kamchastkia wrote:
Ainin wrote:Like?

When I think of hell, North Korea is the place on earth I imagine it to be like.
Slava Ukraini

Kamchastkia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Kamchastkia » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:43 pm

Kamchastkia wrote:(North Korea isn't a hellhole)

When I think of hell, North Korea is the place on earth I imagine it to be like.

When you imagine hell, you imagine a place you've never seen and most the information you've heard about it is plain propaganda. :clap: If north korea is hell I wouldn't mind going there. :)

Ainin
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ainin » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:44 pm

Kamchastkia wrote:
Ainin wrote:Like?

*sigh*

(preferably a country similar to us, and not some nation generally accepted by the public to be a hellhole like North Korea)

Better now?

Kamchastkia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Kamchastkia » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:46 pm

Ainin wrote:
Kamchastkia wrote:(North Korea isn't a hellhole)

*sigh*

(preferably a country similar to us, and not some nation generally accepted by the public to be a hellhole like North Korea)

Better now?

Nope. It's still implying falsities, a better one would be (preferably a country similar to us, and not some country that leaves its poor on the streets to die of hunger and thirst like the United States).

The Nihilistic view
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Nihilistic view » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:49 pm

Kamchastkia wrote:

When you imagine hell, you imagine a place you've never seen and most the information you've heard about it is plain propaganda. :clap: If north korea is hell I wouldn't mind going there. :)

I have seen some actually, an illegally filmed BBC documentary. From what I saw and the testimony of numerous escapees it is the country on earth most like hell. Close second would probably be Zimbabwe but NK is easily the worst nation on earth in which to live.
Slava Ukraini

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Archives