NATION

PASSWORD

Ridiculous things your military does

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Lhazastan
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 17, 2009
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Lhazastan » Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:56 pm

The Anglo-Saxon Empire wrote:
Lhazastan wrote:
or maybe it's that 3 months isn't nearly enough time to become an expert at it. they'd be terrible anyway

3 months is almost longer than the USMC entire basic training (13 week IIRC).

and basic training is just that

edit: oh, and for that matter, hand-to-hand is a function of muscle memory, so lack of usage in combat wouldn't degrade the skills if they did any training during the rest of their careers at all
Last edited by Lhazastan on Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Lhazarane State (FT)
The Matriarchy of Lhazastan (MT)

Factbook

Vorond
Minister

Founded: Feb 15, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Vorond » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:40 pm

Our military emphasizes the need for the soldier to work with and within nature, thus of the 18 months of military service 9 are spent in the wild. Military service is seen as a kind of adulthood ritual. The people of our nation, from the southern mountains to the icy steppes of the north have always had a warrior-tradition, and only in the last 300 years the many clans and tribes have become truly united, albeit by oppressive rule of one alone. The end of that and the peace that followed the civil war have seen a greater appreciation for unity in diversity. The military units are deliberately mixed, so a mountaineer might find himself in the swamps of the Vorkna-Delta, or a steppe-nomad in the mountains. 18 months to live in a foreign environment, learning and growing to become an adult, a productive member of society and a true Vorondian. These camps move without real control, if not ordered otherwise.

We close each bivouac-training with big fires between the tents and celebratory music and drinking. Traditional songs and stories are heard, and a selfmade drink (from plants and some contents of the ration) is consumed. The purpose is to let the conscripts be a part of our nations proud history and to let them enjoy and know the cultures and traditions they defend. Learning to keep the guns, tanks and trucks in working order for 9 months without spareparts helps to develop the guerrilla-doctrine and the partisan-spirit that is voronds defensive strategy. You can invade the land, but you will never conquer it, and to make sure this keeps true is the foremost goal of the service in the peoples' army. For it is truly an army of not one but many peoples.
Factbook
Diplomacy

“If a man isn't willing to take some risk for his opinions, either his opinions are no good or he's no good”
― Ezra Pound

The old wisdom of 4chan holdfs very true in almost every NSG thread.

The Anglo-Saxon Empire
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 21, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Anglo-Saxon Empire » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:36 pm

Lhazastan wrote:
The Anglo-Saxon Empire wrote:3 months is almost longer than the USMC entire basic training (13 week IIRC).

and basic training is just that

edit: oh, and for that matter, hand-to-hand is a function of muscle memory, so lack of usage in combat wouldn't degrade the skills if they did any training during the rest of their careers at all

Melee combat training is taught in basic, no one specializes in melee combat except for perhaps instructors. Also, who says they don't? The point is that they suck because they don't engage in melee combat period.
IC Nation Name: The Glorious Empire of Luthoria
Monarch: Emperor Siegfried XVI

The Corparation
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 31, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Corparation » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:57 pm

The Corpartae Security Forces have the odd habit of funding large unorthodox defense programs, with known problems, simply because it could work. These programs are usually longlived with the funding gradually shrinking away for decades unless something big happens, and no one really cares that 230 billion dollars just went down the drain. This happens almost yearly. (Picture if Darpa actually tried every crazy idea it had.) A few time this has actually worked. As in work in the 50s on tethered powered load lifters for cargo handlers was eventually implemented into service in the mid 2000s. And thirty years later improved and given enough independence for combat use.
Nuclear Death Machines Here (Both Flying and Orbiting)
Orbital Freedom Machine Here
A Subsidiary company of Nightkill Enterprises Inc.Weekly words of wisdom: Nothing is more important than waifus.- Gallia-
Making the Nightmare End 2020 2024 WARNING: This post contains chemicals known to the State of CA to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. - Prop 65, CA Health & Safety This Cell is intentionally blank.

Kalaspia-Shimarata
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 21, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Kalaspia-Shimarata » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:51 am

We don't do anything ridiculous!
But I do want to know if any nationstate has an army stupid enough to do this:
Kalaspia-Shimarata's flag represents the Union between K&S. The dark blue represents the sea and the light blue represents the sky. In Kalashi language considers light blue and dark blue to be different colours. England colonised, and unified K&S, between 1774 and 1953, and English, light blue and dark blue are considered to be the same colour. Therefore, the contrast between dark blue and light blue represents the union, but the differences between K&S where as blue being two but simultaneously one colour represents K&S being two, but simultaniously one entity. The opposite to the symmetry represents the unity and indipendance of K&S, whilst also representing the Kalashi culture of opposite symmetry.KS is 75% Christian, hence the cross.

Kalaspia-Shimarata
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 21, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Kalaspia-Shimarata » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:57 am

The Anglo-Saxon Empire wrote:5. No sexual relations with women from foreign countries at all.

What about men?

1. Men and women are both issued condoms

If you are not going to allow sex, why?
Kalaspia-Shimarata's flag represents the Union between K&S. The dark blue represents the sea and the light blue represents the sky. In Kalashi language considers light blue and dark blue to be different colours. England colonised, and unified K&S, between 1774 and 1953, and English, light blue and dark blue are considered to be the same colour. Therefore, the contrast between dark blue and light blue represents the union, but the differences between K&S where as blue being two but simultaneously one colour represents K&S being two, but simultaniously one entity. The opposite to the symmetry represents the unity and indipendance of K&S, whilst also representing the Kalashi culture of opposite symmetry.KS is 75% Christian, hence the cross.

Kol-yambala
Lobbyist

Founded: Mar 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Kol-yambala » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:22 am

Well the Kol-yambalan army performs live fire training exercises in the middle of populated towns and cities but thats not so much rediculous as UTTERLY INSANE :twisted:
Here in Kol-Yambala the police do things differently. And by differently I mean you act up, you get shot up.

New Hayesalia
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 21, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby New Hayesalia » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:43 am

Kalaspia-Shimarata wrote:We don't do anything ridiculous!
(Image)

Oh god, Kala...

No military can avoid doing stupid things. Besides, it's an empty point when you never do a war RP.

New Hayesalia
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 21, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby New Hayesalia » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:46 am

Kalaspia-Shimarata wrote:

Because rules are made to be broken.

Bajireyn
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Bajireyn » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:00 pm

Kalaspia-Shimarata wrote:We don't do anything ridiculous!
(Image)

what the hell?,I didn't know you had an army...
Right behind you...: UDL

Legital
Senator

Founded: Mar 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Legital » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:58 pm

All of our soldiers in each branch of the military are taught the ways of cannibalism, and to loot every dead body the come upon if possible. I mean after all, food and supplies might not be able to reach your position. They also carry two suicide pills that will stop the heart in twelve seconds.
Last edited by Legital on Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere."- Carl Sagan
"The Emperor Protects."
Male, Agnostic, Transhumanist, Independent (USA, politics)

New Balkaney
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 29, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby New Balkaney » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:20 am

Legital wrote:All of our soldiers in each branch of the military are taught the ways of cannibalism, and to loot every dead body the come upon if possible. I mean after all, food and supplies might not be able to reach your position. They also carry two suicide pills that will stop the heart in twelve seconds.

If you take both, will it stop in six?
Blood for the Blood God. Skulls for the Skull Throne.
"A region known for ethno-religious conflict IN SPACE!" - Vingtor on the Balkan State
Stratigae of the Federation of Allied Republics

Political Compass:
Economic Left/Right: 3.62
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 3.44

The Anglo-Saxon Empire
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 21, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Anglo-Saxon Empire » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:22 am

Kalaspia-Shimarata wrote:
The Anglo-Saxon Empire wrote:5. No sexual relations with women from foreign countries at all.

What about men?

They can have sex with each other. Or if they are in our home country and are on leave. Also, men are included, we don't want our soldiers having sex with anyone from a foreign country for several reasons.
IC Nation Name: The Glorious Empire of Luthoria
Monarch: Emperor Siegfried XVI

Veceria
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jul 12, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Veceria » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:30 am

Legital wrote:All of our soldiers in each branch of the military are taught the ways of cannibalism, and to loot every dead body the come upon if possible. I mean after all, food and supplies might not be able to reach your position. They also carry two suicide pills that will stop the heart in twelve seconds.

Response from a random Vecerian:
"Wait... you have to teach them cannibalism? Can't figure it out themselves how to eat someone, pah..."
*continues murmuring about 'worse than veggies, those foreigners' while eating some humanoid forearm at the Grim Reaper's in Aeryn*
[FT]|Does not use NS stats.
Zeth Rekia wrote:You making Zeno horny.

DesAnges wrote:People don't deserve respect, they earn it.

10,000,000th post.
FoxTropica wrote:And then Hurdegaryp kissed Thafoo, Meanwhile Fox-Mary-"Sue"-Tropica saved TET from destruction and everyone happily forever.

Then suddenly fights broke out because hey, it's the internet.

Hurd is Hurd is Hurd.
Discord: Fenrisúlfr#3521
(send me a TG before sending me a friend request though)
I'm Austrian, if you need german translations, feel free to send me a TG.

-St George
Senator

Founded: Apr 25, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby -St George » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:43 am

1 in 6 soldiers carry a L9A1 50mm Light Mortar.
[19:12] <Amitabho> I mean, a little niggling voice tells me this is impossible, but then my voice of reason kicks in
[21:07] <@Milograd> I totally endorse the unfair moderation.
01:46 Goobergunch I could support StGeorge's nuts for the GOP nomination
( Anemos was here )
Also, Bonobos

Nuclearania
Secretary

Founded: Apr 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Nuclearania » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:48 am

The Standard Conscript rifle Uses Polymer plastics.

The Order of Takhisis
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 26, 2011
Mother Knows Best State

Postby The Order of Takhisis » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:28 am

Still use multi-turreted tanks.

City 9
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby City 9 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:30 am

-St George wrote:1 in 6 soldiers carry a L9A1 50mm Light Mortar.

That is awesome!
" 'Why do you dislike Democracy' you may ask me. The answer is simple - I dislike any system where any unpopular, but necessary decisions can´t be done because of populism."
As you may imagine, City 9 is a colony of the Universal Union aka "The Combine".
Regarding the different freedoms: For this, I have to tell you something about the 'style' of the Universal Union. Most occupied races become mindless slaves and can make no decisions on their own. We can use them as workers, soldiers, just as we please and the only thing we have to do is keeping them alive, nothing else. Therefore: Low personal/political freedoms; Good industry represented by high economic freedoms
This nation is a part of the Universal Union(Combine).

Asclepion
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 30, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Asclepion » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:37 am

Our military uses nonlethal weapons in every possible aspect.
Ammunition for rifles are weaponised syringes and darts intended to minimize casualities.
Explosives instead emit a nonlethal chemical intended to place victims in a comatose like state.
Mounted weapons (On Tanks, Planes, etc), use powerful blocks of various materials to knock down walls(None are explosive), use a specialized Rubber Bullet/Syringe hybrid on all mounted machine guns.

Pretty ridiculous.

NMD America
Bureaucrat

Founded: Feb 21, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby NMD America » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:38 am

Asclepion wrote:Our military uses nonlethal weapons in every possible aspect.
Ammunition for rifles are weaponised syringes and darts intended to minimize casualities.
Explosives instead emit a nonlethal chemical intended to place victims in a comatose like state.
Mounted weapons (On Tanks, Planes, etc), use powerful blocks of various materials to knock down walls(None are explosive), use a specialized Rubber Bullet/Syringe hybrid on all mounted machine guns.

Pretty ridiculous.

Insanely so. You wouldn't last five weeks against a dedicated foe. You'd be flooded with POWs, almost none of whom would have crippling injuries to worry about as they made every possible kind of effort to escape, and you would have the added problem of fear, or a distinctive lack of it, amongst the enemy.
Last edited by NMD America on Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:39 am, edited 3 times in total.
What if Manifest Destiny was never fully realized?

Let me make this simple. I play as a historically alternative United States of America, where Manifesty Destiny didn't fully take hold. As such, much of the North American continent was not conquered.

Asclepion
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Asclepion » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:40 am

NMD America wrote:
Asclepion wrote:Our military uses nonlethal weapons in every possible aspect.

Pretty ridiculous.

Insanely so. You wouldn't last five weeks against a dedicated foe. You'd be flooded with POWs, almost none of whom would have crippling injuries to worry about as they made every possible kind of effort to escape, and you'd have the added problem of fear, or, a distinctive lack of it, amongst the enemy.

We don't fight dedicated foes, however. We're directly in the middle of all of our allies. If any force was working to roll over the entire region, maybe, but that's unlikely, seeing as we're so small.
Last edited by Asclepion on Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hevistica
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Hevistica » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:41 am

Hevistica's Military have orders to shoot any Pine Martens that have managed to find their way onto Alothas from surrounding isles. They have this order since, as they are one of the Alothian Honey Badger's main prey, they cause them to fight amongst each other on who gets to kill the Pine Marten. Shooting them removes this problem, as they then tear it up into equal pieces between them.
To come soon!
Full Name: The Kingdom of Hevistica
Reigning Monarch(s): King Alexander Louis George of Hevistica and Queen Katheryn Sarah of Hevistica
Heir Apparent: Prince Harold Edward of Hevistica
Current Prime Minister: Sir James Allen
Demonym: Hevistic
National Animal: Alothian Honey Badger
Capital City: Kepsolos (Pop. 11,876,300)
Currency: Hevistic Dollar (Eq. to £1)
National Motto: "In Mellivora capensis fidimus"
(Literally "In Honey Badgers we trust")
Languages: English

NMD America
Bureaucrat

Founded: Feb 21, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby NMD America » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:44 am

Asclepion wrote:We don't fight dedicated foes, however. We're directly in the middle of all of our allies. If any force was working to roll over the entire region, maybe, but that's unlikely, seeing as we're so small.

Even so, and there are more problems with that approach. The needles would be useless against most modern armies, the majority of which employ body armor, meaning you'd have to train the men you deploy to achieve some very difficult shots, and regularly.

I hope you don't wind up in a war, or even in an especially dangerous peacekeeping situation. To expect soldiers, any soldiers, to go in thus equipped and trained is truly ridiculous.
Last edited by NMD America on Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
What if Manifest Destiny was never fully realized?

Let me make this simple. I play as a historically alternative United States of America, where Manifesty Destiny didn't fully take hold. As such, much of the North American continent was not conquered.

Frostaland
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Frostaland » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:49 am

Everyday excersises for a private
- 450 push-ups on polished ice
- Hour of swimming in almost-frozen water
- Shot practice with a vibrator attached to the rifle
- "Stink-bomb" defusing
- 5km sprint run

well, ridiculous, but it makes our soldiers top-class.
Last edited by Frostaland on Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Back in here.
Frosty is MT.
----------------------------------------------------
- Create storefront (5%)
- Create factbook (45%)
Xanicea wrote:If you forcibly kick Capitalists out of your nation, you're either a genius (because you developed a planned economy that can grow/thrive without Capitalism) or you're an idiot (because you basically condemned your nation to economic stagnation and shrinkage)

Asclepion
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Asclepion » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:50 am

NMD America wrote:
Asclepion wrote:We don't fight dedicated foes, however. We're directly in the middle of all of our allies. If any force was working to roll over the entire region, maybe, but that's unlikely, seeing as we're so small.

Even so, and there are more problems with that approach. The needles would be useless against most modern armies, the majority of which employ body armor, meaning you'd have to train the men you deploy to achieve some very difficult shots, and regularly.

I hope you don't wind up in a war, or even in an especially dangerous peacekeeping situation. To expect soldiers, any soldiers, to go in thus equipped and trained is truly ridiculous.

The penetration of the needle itself the issue we face; the weaponised syringes we deploy use a razor sharp edge, and most modern body armors aren't designed to counter an extra long, meant for penetration knife going at 400 yards a second.

The problem our military faces is, in all honesty, lack of devotion. Not killing your opponent is much less thrilling than an actual kill, so the adrenaline among our troops is quite low. We've even deployed Adrenaline pills to counter this, but we've not enough pills for all our troops. As such, we're also looking to adopt a Super Soldier's program, expected to be completed in a few years or so; but that's a different story.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information