NATION

PASSWORD

Factbook Question/Answer Thread

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Cyborgs and Sentient Machines
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 28, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Cyborgs and Sentient Machines » Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:22 pm

Aquitayne wrote:
Cyborgs And Sentient Machines wrote:I'm talking about in factbooks, not forum posts.

The code works the same way I outlined in my last post in a factbook as it does in a forum post. Just add an additional set for however many more columns you want and it will come up perfectly fine on the Factbook pages.
Cyborgs And Sentient Machines wrote:
Aquitayne wrote:
Making tables is relatively easy once you figure out the proper sequencing.

1)

2) (Table Row)
3)[td] (Table Down)

So, to get a Table with 3 columns, just do this:
Column 1Column 2Column 3

The [td]'s go inside the [tr]'s, add a new [tr] for when you want a second or additional row.
I'm talking about in factbooks, not forum posts.
If you do that in a factbook, you get a single column.

Aquitayne
Senator

Founded: Jun 24, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Aquitayne » Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:26 pm

Aquitayne wrote:
The code works the same way I outlined in my last post in a factbook as it does in a forum post. Just add an additional [td]set for however many more columns you want and it will come up perfectly fine on the Factbook pages.
Cyborgs And Sentient Machines wrote:I'm talking about in factbooks, not forum posts.
If you do that in a factbook, you get a single column.

If you're getting a single column you're inputting the code incorrectly. I copy/pasted the reference table in my first response and it came up with three columns in one row across.
[ Embassy Program | A Collection of Essays | Parliamentary Hansard | Axalon Private Military Company | My iiwiki Page ]
[ W&A: Global Intelligence | Aquitaynian Foreign Legion | Affairs of the Region | Freyport Armory ]

I'm a former N&I RP Mentor, not very active these days but feel free to reach out if I can help with anything!

"When you have power, use it to build people, not constrict them."-Bertrand Russell
"I destroy my enemies when I make them my friends."-Abraham Lincoln

Duderology - The Study of Duder.
16:08 GHawkins I continue to be amazed by Aq's ability to fuck up his own name.

Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Cyborgs and Sentient Machines » Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:37 pm

Aquitayne wrote:

If you're getting a single column you're inputting the code incorrectly. I copy/pasted the reference table in my first response and it came up with three columns in one row across.

No, I'm copy pasting fine, when I put a table from forum to factbook, it loses its columns.

https://www.nationstates.net/page=dispatch/id=688848

Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Cyborgs and Sentient Machines » Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:38 pm

Aquitayne wrote:

No, I'm copy pasting fine, when I put a table from forum to factbook, it loses its columns.

This is a single column.

Aquitayne
Senator

Postby Aquitayne » Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:42 pm

Cyborgs And Sentient Machines wrote:No, I'm copy pasting fine, when I put a table from forum to factbook, it loses its columns.

This is a single column.

https://www.nationstates.net/nation=aqu ... /id=688852

Don't forget to add a new bracket of [tr] to add a new row. Just add as many [td]'s in a set of [tr]'s for however many columns you want.
Last edited by Aquitayne on Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[ Embassy Program | A Collection of Essays | Parliamentary Hansard | Axalon Private Military Company | My iiwiki Page ]
[ W&A: Global Intelligence | Aquitaynian Foreign Legion | Affairs of the Region | Freyport Armory ]

I'm a former N&I RP Mentor, not very active these days but feel free to reach out if I can help with anything!

"When you have power, use it to build people, not constrict them."-Bertrand Russell

Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Cyborgs and Sentient Machines » Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:43 pm

Aquitayne wrote:
Cyborgs And Sentient Machines wrote:This is a single column.

https://www.nationstates.net/nation=aqu ... /id=688852

Don't forget to add a new bracket of to add a new row. Just add as many [td]'s in a set of [tr]'s for however many columns you want.

That is a single column, with two rows, and each row has 4 lines.
1 column.
Last edited by Cyborgs and Sentient Machines on Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Maltropia
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 19, 2009
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Maltropia » Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:46 pm

I think there's some confusion here. That is a table with four columns, which go down, and two rows, which go across.
Ɛ> Maltropia + Tiami 4ever <3
[17:46] <bc> MY ENTHUSIASM EFFECTS MY SPELLING || [19:25] <minn> srsly is maltropia the only one with a brain here :|
Call me Mal(t). Reduce risk of carpal tunnel syndrome!
GE&T:Maritime Imperial Shipwrights | T-O Cartographic
II:Amistad, EATC signatory | PRV founder | CFDS, FIR, ECU member
F&NI:IIwiki | Factbook | Embassy program
WA:Represented by Ambassador Seán Lemass

I used to be a Roleplay Mentor and still love to help people. Find me on Discord and I'll help if I can.

Aquitayne
Senator

Postby Aquitayne » Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:48 pm

Cyborgs And Sentient Machines wrote:https://www.nationstates.net/page=dispatch/id=688848

You need to add as many sets of [td]'s in each row to ensure you get as many columns as you did in the first row. For example:

Row 1: [tr] 3 sets of [td] will get you 3 columns
Row 2: [tr] 3 sets of [td] will line up with the top 3 sections and provide a downward chart in the next row
Row 3: 3 sets of [td]
Row 4 et al: the same.

Just make sure for every 1 set of [tr], you have an equal set of [td]'s as you do in the first row.

Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Cyborgs and Sentient Machines » Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:50 pm

Maltropia wrote:I think there's some confusion here. That is a table with four columns, which go down, and two rows, which go across.

Could I see a screen cap, it might be different on mobile, but I'm only seeing a single column, the blocks that go downwards.

Aquitayne
Senator

Postby Aquitayne » Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:52 pm

Maltropia wrote:I think there's some confusion here. That is a table with four columns, which go down, and two rows, which go across.

Could I see a screen cap, it might be different on mobile, but I'm only seeing a single column, the blocks that go downwards.

https://i.imgur.com/AT9HzeU.png

Definitely viewing it on mobile will distort the way it appears on your screen and make it a lot harder to make the table the way you want it.

Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Cyborgs and Sentient Machines » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:00 pm

Aquitayne wrote:
Cyborgs And Sentient Machines wrote:Could I see a screen cap, it might be different on mobile, but I'm only seeing a single column, the blocks that go downwards.

Definitely viewing it on mobile will distort the way it appears on your screen and make it a lot harder to make the table the way you want it.

This is what I was getting..
http://m.imgur.com/ohOoU5g
.____.

Aquitayne
Senator

Postby Aquitayne » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:02 pm

Aquitayne wrote:

.____.

It's because you're viewing the thread on a mobile device and its not wide enough to view the rows completely across. If you view it on a desktop you'll be able to see what it's actually doing :)

Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Cyborgs and Sentient Machines » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:02 pm

Aquitayne wrote:

.____.

Welp, at least I'm able to make tables that work on mobile...

Neonymphonia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Feb 26, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Neonymphonia » Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:26 pm

How exactly does the data limit on factbooks work? I think I just hit the limit (which would be a huge disappointment) and cutting out images does not seem to remove their size equivalent in information space.
Liked my factbook before? Well, then check out just how much better the new one is.

Proud member of Novaluna One, and proud partner-in-crime with Vistora

Haja-Mishu wrote:“She’s a real life sex wizard”

Sunset
Senator

Founded: Antiquity
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Sunset » Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:28 pm

It's character count, has nothing to do with image size. I've hit it on a couple of my factbooks. No way around it other that to split them up.
My Colors are Blue and Yellow

Neonymphonia
Chargé d'Affaires

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Neonymphonia » Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:31 pm

Sunset wrote:It's character count, has nothing to do with image size. I've hit it on a couple of my factbooks. No way around it other that to split them up.

Ok, thank you for the information.

Time for me to curl into a ball and weep in a corner.
Liked my factbook before? Well, then check out just how much better the new one is.

Maljaratas
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 25, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Maljaratas » Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:38 pm

Neonymphonia wrote:
Sunset wrote:It's character count, has nothing to do with image size. I've hit it on a couple of my factbooks. No way around it other that to split them up.

You could also be proud that you hit the character limit...
"There are decades when nothing happens. There are weeks where decades happen" -Vladimir Lenin

Neonymphonia
Chargé d'Affaires

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Neonymphonia » Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:43 pm

Maljaratas wrote:
Neonymphonia wrote:

You could also be proud that you hit the character limit...

Thing is, I was mainly inspired to create an all-in-one factbook by Vistora's valiant-yet-failed attempt. The entire idea was that I would succeed. :meh:

However, success is still a possibility. To those who know, what is the character limit exactly and does it include spaces?

Neonymphonia
Chargé d'Affaires

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Neonymphonia » Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:16 pm

Okay, I did some investigating, and found out that the character limit on factbooks is 90,809 characters including spaces. Seems a bit arbitrary, but I can imagine there is some reason behind this.

In any case, I did actually just manage to squeeze everything in after a bit of surgical editing, which is awesome because I am now officially finished with my factbook! :D

Maltropia
Negotiator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Maltropia » Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:24 pm

Neonymphonia wrote:Okay, I did some investigating, and found out that the character limit on factbooks is 90,809 characters including spaces.

Incorrect. I just tested the limit and it's certainly at least 95,044 characters. I also don't know whether BBcode has any impact (it doesn't seem to in forum-side posts), but that's outside the scope of this test.

Edit: Well this is odd.

Re-edit: It allows me to preview at up to 99,904 characters but it fails to post.
Last edited by Maltropia on Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[17:46] <bc> MY ENTHUSIASM EFFECTS MY SPELLING || [19:25] <minn> srsly is maltropia the only one with a brain here :|

I used to be a Roleplay Mentor and still love to help people. Find me on Discord and I'll help if I can.

Neonymphonia
Chargé d'Affaires

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Neonymphonia » Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:40 pm

Maltropia wrote:
Neonymphonia wrote:Okay, I did some investigating, and found out that the character limit on factbooks is 90,809 characters including spaces.

Incorrect. I just tested the limit and it's certainly at least 95,044 characters. I also don't know whether BBcode has any impact (it doesn't seem to in forum-side posts), but that's outside the scope of this test.

Edit: Well this is odd.

Re-edit: It allows me to preview at up to 99,904 characters but it fails to post.

I tested with posting, not previews, and came up with 90,809 characters within the raw BBcode including spaces.

Maltropia
Negotiator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Maltropia » Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:43 pm

I get you, but this is definitely a 95,000-character factbook that successfully posted. I haven't checked between that and 99,800 to see where it stops me but it posted with, as I said, 95,044.

Neonymphonia
Chargé d'Affaires

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Neonymphonia » Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:51 pm

Maltropia wrote:I get you, but this is definitely a 95,000-character factbook that successfully posted. I haven't checked between that and 99,800 to see where it stops me but it posted with, as I said, 95,044.

Hmm. It could be that my factbook contains a lot of line-skips and formatting stuff, which could affect how it is counted.

Erutenia
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 01, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Erutenia » Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:41 pm

It is allowed to put NS Weapons in the Factbook?
I want to do a mix of RL Guns and NS guns.

example: Handguns: Beretta 92, Beretta 93R, EAP-45B.
ATTENTION: THE ERUTENIAN FEDERATION IS BEING REMODELED, STAY IN THEIR HOMES AND FOLLOW ANY ORDER GIVEN BY THE POLICE OR AUXILIARY UNITS. I REPEAT...
Erutenia: For love, for science, for our federation!

this nation is more complex than it looks
BAD ENGLISH APPROACHING

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information