NATION

PASSWORD

The Science of Nations {FT | Open}

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Derscon
Minister

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Re: The Science of Nations {FT | Open}

Postby Derscon » Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:51 pm

Menelmacar wrote:With the following caveats:
  • All of these are highly developed, the priorities are relative to one another.

OOC: I think this is taken as a given unless otherwise noted.
NationStates remains an excellent educational tool for children. It can teach you exactly just how far people will go to gain extrajudicially what they could never gain legitimately. ~ Questers
And congratulations to Derscon, who has finally codified the exact basis on which NS issues work. ~ Ardchoille

瞞天過海

-Raysia-
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 25, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby -Raysia- » Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:16 pm

Derscon wrote:
  • All of these are highly developed, the priorities are relative to one another.

Ooc: then perhaps I should note that my nation doesn't really deal in gravitonics... Just enough for earth-normal gravity aboard starships. Although, some of my victims will note my love of attaching tow cables to ships that don't have inertial dampeners, and then jerking them about from side to side :P
Primeworld of the Capsule Corporation
Capsule Corporation FT Storefront

Population: 3.5 Billion | [Future Tech]
[Raysian / Capsule Corporation Factbook]

All original artwork contained in these posts is (c)2010 http://jor-dan.deviantart.com/

Techno-Soviet
Senator

Founded: Jan 19, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Techno-Soviet » Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:19 pm

The Technocratic Hegemony wrote:Triangle Major:
  • Defense
  • Offense
  • Mobility

Triangle Minor:
  • Tactics
  • Clandestinity
  • Suprabiology

Specializations:
  • Self-Guided Systems
  • Directed Energy
  • Materials Engineering
  • Alteration
  • Gravitonics

[/quote]
[align=center]Economic Tyranny/Libertarian: 6.38
Social Libertarian/Tyranny: -3.33

The Machine Imperium
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 25, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Machine Imperium » Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:49 pm

The Machine Imperium wrote:Triangle Major:
  • Offense
  • Defense
  • Mobility

Triangle Minor:
  • Tactics
  • Clandestinity
  • Suprabiology

Specializations:
  • Self-Guided Systems:
  • Materials Engineering
  • Directed Energy
  • Alteration
  • Gravitonics

I've picked the ones that make the most sense to me for a person who has what is essentially one giant robot army. With very powerful AI, metal for damn-well everything and energy having to be dirceted all over the place, I'd say that those are logical first three specializations. We also have good tactics and no need for suprabiology (unless we experiment on the biologics).
Last edited by The Machine Imperium on Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sskiss
Diplomat

Founded: May 20, 2004
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Sskiss » Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:11 am

Derscon wrote:

I concur. I have always assumed that any nation or race of sufficient age (such as many here including my own) is going to be advanced in at least most of the options presented. I just choose the ones that I had played up in RP's in the past. A for suprabiology, it could have many applications; medical, biological/genetic engineering, bio-weapons, applications for structures, such as armour and so on. Even terraforming would to a degree fall under suprabiology.
Last edited by Sskiss on Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Eat or be Eaten"
"The first pain of life is to be driven from the creche to the harsh lands beyond.
The first joy of life is the crechemates you will meet there"
"Above the Isss' Raak is only the sky"
"Greenfood feeds redfood. Redfood feeds Sskiss"

"All is oneness/isness. All feed on death"
Sskiss Apothegms

Hyperspatial Travel
Diplomat

Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Hyperspatial Travel » Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:20 am

Hyperspatial Travel wrote:Triangle Major:
  • Offense
  • Mobility
  • Defense

Triangle Minor:
  • Tactics
  • Suprabiology
  • Clandestinity

Specializations:
  • Gravitonics
  • Directed Energy
  • Materials Engineering
  • Self-Guided Systems
  • Alteration

Huerdae: You know, I'd kick a queen in the tits if she acted like that.

Derscon
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Derscon » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:05 am

Sskiss wrote:
Derscon wrote:OOC: I think this is taken as a given unless otherwise noted.

I concur. I have always assumed that any nation or race of sufficient age (such as many here including my own) is going to be advanced in at least most of the options presented. I just choose the ones that I had played up in RP's in the past. A for suprabiology, it could have many applications; medical, biological/genetic engineering, bio-weapons, applications for structures, such as armour and so on. Even terraforming would to a degree fall under suprabiology.

*nods* My thoughts exactly. Like you said, "any nation or race of sufficient age" - although I would also add "of sufficient age and development," since many old nations and races may not have developed as well as younger ones for a multitude of circumstances (but this is nitpicking) - would have developed at least something in most of the fields. In fact, it would have been a necessity to develop sufficiently in most of the fields - and at least a basic amount in all of them - in order to be an advanced nation.

So perhaps, from here on out, those posting should make a note of underdeveloped catageories - such as a nation who abhors the "supernatural" might make a note that alteration is not only on the bottom, but almost ignored.
NationStates remains an excellent educational tool for children. It can teach you exactly just how far people will go to gain extrajudicially what they could never gain legitimately. ~ Questers
And congratulations to Derscon, who has finally codified the exact basis on which NS issues work. ~ Ardchoille

瞞天過海

-Bretonia-
Envoy

Founded: Aug 13, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby -Bretonia- » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:38 am

Derscon wrote:
Sskiss wrote:
Derscon wrote:OOC: I think this is taken as a given unless otherwise noted.

*nods* My thoughts exactly. Like you said, "any nation or race of sufficient age" - although I would also add "of sufficient age and development," since many old nations and races may not have developed as well as younger ones for a multitude of circumstances (but this is nitpicking) - would have developed at least something in most of the fields. In fact, it would have been a necessity to develop sufficiently in most of the fields - and at least a basic amount in all of them - in order to be an advanced nation.

So perhaps, from here on out, those posting should make a note of underdeveloped catageories - such as a nation who abhors the "supernatural" might make a note that alteration is not only on the bottom, but almost ignored.

There are political and cultural considerations to... erm, consider as well though. Some nations might have laws, for example, preventing research into gravitics, perhaps due to safety or environmental concern. Or perhaps people as a whole are highly superstitious about certain things, or maybe they simply can't afford to research certain concepts. I mean, try and do some stem cell research in the United States and you'll see what I mean.
Last edited by -Bretonia- on Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Derscon
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Derscon » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:43 am

-Bretonia- wrote:
Derscon wrote:
Sskiss wrote:I concur. I have always assumed that any nation or race of sufficient age (such as many here including my own) is going to be advanced in at least most of the options presented. I just choose the ones that I had played up in RP's in the past. A for suprabiology, it could have many applications; medical, biological/genetic engineering, bio-weapons, applications for structures, such as armour and so on. Even terraforming would to a degree fall under suprabiology.

There are political and cultural considerations to... erm, consider as well though. Some nations might have laws, for example, preventing research into gravitics, perhaps due to safety or environmental concern. Or perhaps people as a whole are highly superstitious about certain things, or maybe they simply can't afford to research certain concepts. I mean, try and do some stem cell research in the United States and you'll see what I mean.

But of course, I merely used cultural norms as one example. Political considerations are another thing to take into account. But then again, why would the politics be the way they are? Most likely, it is because of the culture. ;)

瞞天過海

-Bretonia-
Envoy

Founded: Aug 13, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby -Bretonia- » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:52 am

Derscon wrote:But of course, I merely used cultural norms as one example. Political considerations are another thing to take into account. But then again, why would the politics be the way they are? Most likely, it is because of the culture. ;)

It's alright, for some reason I didn't read that last bit of your post. The Bretonian Redundance Ministry of Redundancy is operating on overdrive today.

Arizona Nova
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Arizona Nova » Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:25 am

Cross-quoting from the Argument Thread for further discussion:
Morningstar Coalition wrote:Alright. I've been up till almost three am while agonizing over the final details of my new nation's navy, specifically types of ship classes, crew compliments, total numbers available, and so on, so bear with me if this isn't totally coherent.

I was reading through Arizona Nova's excellent "Science of a Nation" thread and I came across some ideas. I want to try and refine and improve Arizona's work here, and I thought the argument thread might be a better place than cluttering the Science thread with debate which may or may not lead anywhere.
So here's my thoughts.

The concept of rating specialties and fields of technology is a wonderful one, and I think goes a long way towards allowing us each to really look at our nations and our tech-bases, not to mention allowing us to get a better understanding of the same things in other nations. However, when I first read Arizona's categories/specialties, I was somewhat confused. I admit that a good deal of my preconceptions come from years of sci-fi stories, and especially computer and console games involving technology research (Master of Orion, Civilization, Space Empires, Etc). In most of these sources, there were a handful of easily understandable categories or trees. Arizona has hit on several, but others seem to be absent.

Arizona has the following Specialties:
Materials Engineering: this governs all the secrets regarding the recombination of phyical substance for directed use; whether simply distilling water to drink to crafting in neutronium, the densest material known to exist.
Directed Energy: this is the power to bend and manipulate energy to a purpose, ranging from the utilization of electricity to accomplish motor movement, to the workings of a superlaser array designed to destroy a planet.
Self-Guided Systems: This refers to any system created with the intent to act upon its own initiative, whether a simple guided missile or an immense and complex arch-AI-lect.
Gravitonics: Gravity is, as a force, one which walks the line between energy and matter, affecting both in various, sometimes unpredictable ways. Gravitonics touches everything from artificial gravity systems to black hole bombs.
Alteration: The most esoteric specialization, alteration encompasses any technology which directly alters the fabric of reality itself, whether it be dimensionally, temporally, or through quantum mechanics.

Now, I mean no disrespect at all, but I wonder if these categories could be refined or improved in any way. By looking at these in detail, maybe we can combine some of them, while adding new categories.

Materials Engineering. In Master of Orion, this would fall smack in the field of "Construction", and I think is quite apt in it's current use. This field or specialty can help give an indication of how advanced the materials in a nation are. Whether they use high-carbon steel, to compressed-matter diamond-like materials. I have no proposal for this field.

Directed Energy: I believe I understand where Arizona was going with this, however I believe both the name and the description could be misleading. I don't think this field is, or should be, specifically about weapons. I think we should broaden this to include all the various forms of power and energy technologies. Development of fusion reactors, antimatter manufacture, superconductors. The generation and harnessing of energy. I propose the name "Energy Physics".

Self-Guided Systems: As with energy technology, this category has many more applications than weapons technology. AIs can be interfaced into starships, factories, even communications networks. This field can even include the basic technologies upon which the advanced computers (sentient or not) are built. Electronics, optical, quantum, or spacetime. I propose the name "Information Science".

Gravitonics: This field seems to me unnecessarily limited and focused. While I admit that being able to manipulate gravity is a potent and important tool in FT, I'm not sure it needs a separate category, especially in light of the field of Alteration. I propose this field be removed or merged with Alteration.

Alteration: To me it seems this category serves two purposes. One is specifically to hold those technologies which deal with the direct manipulation of space, time, or the universe at large. Time travel, phasing shields/cloak, dimensional effects, and perhaps even the direct manipulation of gravity and/or inertia. The second purpose this category seems to serve is a sort of "catch-all" field for any technology or science which doesn't fit the other four fields. I see no problem with this, but a "Misc" field need not be merged with one which seems to have clear applications. I propose the name "Reality Alteration".

New Field: One thing which I noticed as a seeming hole in the fields of science is that pertaining to biotechnology. Everything from antibiotics, auto-docs, hyposprays, genetic engineering, cybernetics, to biological starships. I propose the new field of "Biotechnology".

New Field: As mentioned before, we may in fact need a catch-all "Misc" field where players can lump technologies which do not fit the other fields. When someone places this "Misc" in a high priority, they can include comments or explanations of exactly what technologies they wish it to represent. I propose the new field of "Exotic Sciences".

Now we get to what Arizona calls the "Major and Minor Triangles". These seem to embody military doctrines, and seem to serve the purpose to classify our FT starships. The major triangle is divided between Mobility, Offense, and Defense. This falls right in line with real-world, wet-navy doctrines of Speed, Armor, and Firepower. I really see no problems with this "Doctrinal Triad". It is quite logical and sound in it's own right.

The Minor Triangle is divided between:
Tactics: The ability to effectively command and control, to make and relay decisions as quickly as possible, and employ countermeasures to hamper the enemy's abilities; i.e., your ability to react and outmaneuver your enemy's technology, though not necessarily stop it.
Clandestinity: The ability to hide from the enemy, whether literally in battle or figuratively through espionage; any technology which aims to fortify this quality.
Suprabiology: The resources spent on developing attributes outside of natural evolution, whether it is simply increased longevity or psionic/Force powers.

Aside for the good-humor ribbing I've already given Arizona about the questionable word "Clandestinity", I think there is still room for improvement for the minor triangle.

Tactics: As Arizona describes, this field focuses on what amounts to Command & Control ability and Leadership qualities. Advanced communications, tactical awareness, and speed of orders are all driven towards perfection in this field. I propose the name "Command".

Clandestinity: Stealth, evasion, spying, deception, ambushes, feints. Dirty, underhanded tricks to win an engagement. These are qualities you see in the Romulans of Star Trek, Gathering intelligence on your enemy, without giving anything of yourself away. I propose the name "Espionage".

Suprabiology: I personally believe that again we've come across another "Misc" category. A place to put anything that doesn't fit elsewhere. I don't think we need or want this in what is supposed to be a "Doctrinal Triad", because each point in the triangle is supposed to be an equally valid doctrine of war, the importance of each which must be chosen by the nation. Psionics, magic, and the Force are all things which can easily be covered by either Reality Alteration, or Exotic Sciences. I propose the removal of this field.

This leaves us with a problem. The Major Triad is logical and it's easy to see how Mobility, Defense, and Offense balance and weight against each other. I believe that Command and Espionage form two points of a similar triad, however for the life of me I cannot come up with a suitable third point for this second triangle. At this point it may just be the sleep deprivation, but I am going to wrap this up and open things for debate. Debate both on my proposed changes, but also on what might be put into the place of the third point of the minor triangle.

Thanks for your time!

Huerdae wrote:I fully agree with Morningstar, and would like to throw my support behind the post of impressive quality which can be seen here.

I would, however, like to propose a third piece of the triad to the minor triangle! What you have in the major triangle are three obvious, easily-recognizable aspects of every warship, and in the minor triangle, you have two aspects that apply not to the warship, but to the crew and preparation which go into that warship's effect on the battlefield. So what I propose as the final part of the minor triangle would be as follows:

Logistics: No matter how well-trained your crew, no matter how powerful your warship, or how mighty your weapons, in the end, the battle can sometimes be brought down to the terrible reality of proper supply and preparation. This applies to the ability of an empire to properly assess the needs of an engagement, from required reinforcements, resupply, ammunition, and repair needs. Better logistics permit faster assaults, more efficient supply lines, and proper handling of a prolonged conflict.

Just my opinion, but something which I felt was integral in war, and needed a place.
Last edited by Arizona Nova on Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
{Facts}{The Ambiguous Metareality of Arizona Nova | Proud ESUS Member since 2004 | Fight Serious Business}
{Clever}{Suppress Firefox | Rule of Cool | Good Flag, Bad Flag}
{RPs @Open}{SYSTEM FAILURE}
{Recommended Services}{SYSTEM FAILURE}
{Provided Services}{SYSTEM FAILURE}

Derscon
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Derscon » Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:56 am

OOC: I...actually like those proposals a lot, although I think you may be needing to ditch the triangle and make more of a web. lol overcomplicated graphics

Also, I might edit my post to reflect the changes, as well as elaborate them, as SC and CC have done.

瞞天過海

Sskiss
Diplomat

Postby Sskiss » Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:18 pm

I think enginnering should possess both a materials aspect (metalurgic/chemical) and a design aspect, which could represent how well your ships are designed from an engineering structural point of view. The latter would also include concepts like modular design and such.

Just my two claws worth :D
Last edited by Sskiss on Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Eat or be Eaten"
"The first pain of life is to be driven from the creche to the harsh lands beyond.

Sskiss Apothegms

Arizona Nova
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Arizona Nova » Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:59 pm

. : ooc : .
Morningstar Coalition wrote:Directed Energy: I believe I understand where Arizona was going with this, however I believe both the name and the description could be misleading. I don't think this field is, or should be, specifically about weapons. I think we should broaden this to include all the various forms of power and energy technologies. Development of fusion reactors, antimatter manufacture, superconductors. The generation and harnessing of energy. I propose the name "Energy Physics".

I would say that this is a fair rename.

Morningstar Coalition wrote:Self-Guided Systems: As with energy technology, this category has many more applications than weapons technology. AIs can be interfaced into starships, factories, even communications networks. This field can even include the basic technologies upon which the advanced computers (sentient or not) are built. Electronics, optical, quantum, or spacetime. I propose the name "Information Science".

This is an interesting idea; while my understanding of information science is more evocative of libraries and archives, I can see the merit in this. There is still something to be said for self-guided systems as a distinct specialization; information networks are infrastructure, whereas self-guided constructs are to some extent dependent on that infrastructure. It could be that SGS is a subcategory of Information Science, then.

Morningstar Coalition wrote:Gravitonics: This field seems to me unnecessarily limited and focused. While I admit that being able to manipulate gravity is a potent and important tool in FT, I'm not sure it needs a separate category, especially in light of the field of Alteration. I propose this field be removed or merged with Alteration.

I disagree on this point. The point of a specialization is that it is an attempt to master a "force," you could say. Gravity is its own force, and the applications as I have imagined them are wide-ranging, from artificial gravity generators (which include 2001-style spin-dependent systems) to FTLi to black hole bombs.

Morningstar Coalition wrote:Alteration: To me it seems this category serves two purposes. One is specifically to hold those technologies which deal with the direct manipulation of space, time, or the universe at large. Time travel, phasing shields/cloak, dimensional effects, and perhaps even the direct manipulation of gravity and/or inertia. The second purpose this category seems to serve is a sort of "catch-all" field for any technology or science which doesn't fit the other four fields. I see no problem with this, but a "Misc" field need not be merged with one which seems to have clear applications. I propose the name "Reality Alteration".

Fair enough, as a rename. I liked "Alteration" because it was simple, but this may clarify its meaning a bit more.

Morningstar Coalition wrote:New Field: One thing which I noticed as a seeming hole in the fields of science is that pertaining to biotechnology. Everything from antibiotics, auto-docs, hyposprays, genetic engineering, cybernetics, to biological starships. I propose the new field of "Biotechnology".

This is a splendid idea. I shall get working on the icon post-haste.

Morningstar Coalition wrote:New Field: As mentioned before, we may in fact need a catch-all "Misc" field where players can lump technologies which do not fit the other fields. When someone places this "Misc" in a high priority, they can include comments or explanations of exactly what technologies they wish it to represent. I propose the new field of "Exotic Sciences".

Where else one would go beyond "Reality Alteration," I'm unsure, but it could work as a specialization. It's going to be tricky to make an icon for, assuming I don't cop out and make it a giant question mark.

Morningstar Coalition wrote:Now we get to what Arizona calls the "Major and Minor Triangles". These seem to embody military doctrines, and seem to serve the purpose to classify our FT starships. The major triangle is divided between Mobility, Offense, and Defense. This falls right in line with real-world, wet-navy doctrines of Speed, Armor, and Firepower. I really see no problems with this "Doctrinal Triad". It is quite logical and sound in it's own right.

I wasn't actually aware of the wet-navy doctrines, but I think this suits FT even better (as there is more to ship defense, now, than armor, after all :P).

Morningstar Coalition wrote:Tactics: As Arizona describes, this field focuses on what amounts to Command & Control ability and Leadership qualities. Advanced communications, tactical awareness, and speed of orders are all driven towards perfection in this field. I propose the name "Command".

Tactics is problematic; it was kind of a mesh of both ability to command, and ability to counter the technology of others (i.e., countering FTL with FTLi, countering communications with ECM); "command" being one subcategory thereof - i.e., command, control, and counters.

Morningstar Coalition wrote:Clandestinity: Stealth, evasion, spying, deception, ambushes, feints. Dirty, underhanded tricks to win an engagement. These are qualities you see in the Romulans of Star Trek, Gathering intelligence on your enemy, without giving anything of yourself away. I propose the name "Espionage".

Clandestinity was also a mesh, of which espionage was but one facet. The ability to camouflage one's ships, though, doesn't have a bearing on one's espionage, even if it's frequently been observed that civilizations which favor the one also favor the other. Espionage too heavily favors one asset, but if there was a more "correct" word than "clandestinity" that isn't simply "stealth," it could work here.

Suprabiology: I personally believe that again we've come across another "Misc" category. A place to put anything that doesn't fit elsewhere. I don't think we need or want this in what is supposed to be a "Doctrinal Triad", because each point in the triangle is supposed to be an equally valid doctrine of war, the importance of each which must be chosen by the nation. Psionics, magic, and the Force are all things which can easily be covered by either Reality Alteration, or Exotic Sciences. I propose the removal of this field.[/quote]
I do agree with this idea; this was the most troublesome point of the triangle.

Huerdae wrote:Logistics: No matter how well-trained your crew, no matter how powerful your warship, or how mighty your weapons, in the end, the battle can sometimes be brought down to the terrible reality of proper supply and preparation. This applies to the ability of an empire to properly assess the needs of an engagement, from required reinforcements, resupply, ammunition, and repair needs. Better logistics permit faster assaults, more efficient supply lines, and proper handling of a prolonged conflict.

I would say this is a perfect replacement.

In the mean time, I shall get to work on the Second Edition of the Science of Nations then, along with its Fourth Book, which will cover the Subcategories of the Specializations.
Last edited by Arizona Nova on Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
{Facts}{The Ambiguous Metareality of Arizona Nova | Proud ESUS Member since 2004 | Fight Serious Business}

Feazanthia
Minister

Founded: Feb 27, 2004

Postby Feazanthia » Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:01 pm

OOC-
Tagged for future caffine-fueled response.
<Viridia>: Because 'assisting with science' is your code-phrase for 'fucking about like a rampant orangutan being handed the keys to a banana factory'
The Local Cluster - an FT Region

Arizona Nova
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Arizona Nova » Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:40 pm

. : ooc : . In terms of what people adding themselves to the list should do, for now, continue posting your list spots using the First Edition. Those who have posted, edit or repost when the Second Edition and Book IV is published.

Morningstar Coalition
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 23, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Morningstar Coalition » Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:38 pm

Wow... Writing at 3am, I wasn't expecting the deluge of replies and comments that awaited me when I woke up this morning. It's now well into the evening, and I still haven't really absorbed everything people have had to say and contribute.

I'm going to make another suggestion to Arizona and everyone else. We should re-purpose this thread for debate and discussion of the concept itself. What top-level fields/specialties there should be, the debate on the triads and such. Let's conduct that discussion and debate here, and when we have a clear grasp of what we've done, we can create a separate thread for posting all our individual profiles and entries.

One thing I'd like to point out for Huerdae and Cosmic, if they're reading. The whole point of Arizona doing this profile thread is to gauge and rate our nation's science and technology. Both of you had some very valid points. Logistics, morale, production... These are all very important issues for nations, however some of them have little to do with ratings of the science and technology of a nation. What Cosmic terms the "Power Triad" can directly map to technology. Offense indicates a good deal of research and development of weapons. Defense likewise indicates focus into armor, shields, and other defensive technologies. Mobility is likewise easy to see the connections to technology.

The reason I described Command and Espionage as I did, is because this was how I saw those two topics directly mapping to technological development: Command would include such things as AIs that direct battlefield units, communications networks to deliver those orders, visual HUDs on soldiers to see friendlies and maps. So on. Espionage would include technologies which made misdirection and deception of the enemy easier: cloaking, decoys, electronic jamming, subversion AIs, etc.
I ran into trouble when I tried to come up with a clear technological "third point" for this new triad. Yes, Logistics or Morale are good points when talking about military doctrine, but they don't fit as well when speaking about a nation's Science and it's technology.

I still don't have any answers for that third point. So the debate continues.
FT: The Morningstar Coalition
Morningstar OOC Thread | Dossier of Embassies | The Morningstar Grand Conclave IC Thread/OOC Thread - The multi-faction ruling body of Morningstar meets here, | The Phoenix Initiative - Morningstar's bid for "immortality".
My sigged quotes got too long for Nationstates' signature limits, so now I'm collecting all future sig quotes HERE.

Arizona Nova
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Arizona Nova » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:29 pm

Forward to the Science of Nations, Second Edition

I am surprised and please by the reception of my work in the international community; it has gained some measure of acceptance, and what's more, provoked diverse discussion of its topic matter; overall I am pleased to say that it has been lauded, and the creation of Book III, the Great Analysis, continues apace, as intellectuals across the galaxy submit the profiles of their own nations.

The criticisms are, however, what I wish most to address in this Second Edition. Specifically, an issue brought up by my esteemed colleagues formerly of TRIAD Enterprises, who engaged me in debate over where the Fundamental Forces - gravity, strong nuclear force, weak nuclear force, and electromagnetism - fall in terms of specialties. It was his own opinion that simple Force Manipulation would be a suitable specialization, but I had to somewhat pointedly differ. Such would imply that mastery over gravitonics was mastery over magnetism was mastery over nuclear force; yet, the technology in an artificial gravity generator is incredibly distinct from the technology in a disruptor. So then it fell to me to try and determine whether each force could be considered its own specialty. Surely, the applications of magnetism are vast, however, they are not especially distinct; containment fields for antimatter, the delivery sheath used in plasma weaponry, the central component of the MAC; it is not, in these cases, the magnetic field thats is as important as what it is either containing and or delivering, whereas in gravitonics, the primacy of production, control, and delivery of that elusive particle is central. As well, I have not seen many examples to date of an FTL civilization which has built its entire technology base on mastery of magnetism, whereas this has been observed to be the case in the case of gravitonics; witness The Mindset, for example.

Yet other forces do have distinct and diverse application, but only at particularly high levels. Being able to affect nuclear force is the basis of both disruptor weapons and force fields; but there is still relatively few applications of it that have been broached to me beyond that.

The other matter of much discussion was the Minor Strategic Triangle. While the importance of application of biological science was not contested, its place on the triangle was, as was some of the terminology I used for the other definitions. I was forced to agree with the points raised in that department, and sought out terminology to perfect the minor triangle, and make it as airtight, as it were, as the Greater.

The new Minor Triangle includes these terms:
Co-vertness: understood to inherit all the import of "Clandestinity" before it,
Co-untermeasures: understood to stand for the means by which a nation aims to counter points on the Major Triangle, and
Co-mmunication: understood to stand for the means by which a nation relays information and commands.

The specialties I have added are:

Nucleonics: described as a civilization's mastery over the weak and strong nuclear forces, i.e., disruptors, forcefield, etc.

Biotechnology: the means by which a nation alters the health, life expectancy and or genetics of its citizenry.

As well, as again per the suggestions of my colleaugue in TRIAD Enterprises, I have renamed Directed Energy to Energy Physics, and Alteration to Reality Alteration. Self-Guided Systems I have renamed and expanded to Information Science, understood to mean the sophistication and permeation of a nation's computer systems and infrastructure.

As well, I am now going to being work on the Fourth Book of this work, On Subspecializations, which will deal with the more granular categories of application within the main Specializations I have outlined; i.e., Self-Guided Systems within Information Science, Metallurgy and Construction within Materials Engineering, etc. etc. I am fully open to the suggestion of my colleauges within the galactic scholarly community regarding suggestions for these subspecializations.

As well, Book III remains open for the posting of tech profiles. We have a long way to go to canvas all FTL civilizations, though an impressive start has certainly been made.

Yours in the pursuit of knowledge,

Dacre Ambrogino Wieland

. : ooc : . What this means is that, those who have posted tech profiles, it would make sense to either repost them or edit the ones you have to reflect the Second Edition of the Inquiry. However, if you remain attached to the first edition, or are simply too lazy to be bothered, that is alright too; I will [spoiler] tag the superceded text when I edit in the new triangles and specialties into the OP, so it can still be accessed.

As well, as I have said through Dacre, this thread is also open to suggestions regarding subspecializations.

Derscon
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Derscon » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:42 pm

OOC: This is a really good idea. Props, AZ. :)

The Fourth Dersconi Amaranthine Imperium wrote:Triangle Major:
  • Defense
  • Mobility
  • Offense

Triangle Minor:
  • Communications
  • Countermeasures
  • Covertness

Specializations:
  • Reality Alteration
  • Nucleonics
  • Biotechnology
  • Information Science
  • Gravitonics
  • Materials Engineering
  • Energy Physics

Edited original post, but posted again. The new edition muddles my specialization rankings a lot. After all, gravitonics was second in the original, but now it's third from the bottom. They are far more relative, now, and yet oddly more precise. Nice work on the second edition.

瞞天過海

The Fedral Union
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Fedral Union » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:06 pm

The United Solar States of the Terran Alliance wrote:Triangle Major:
  • Most Important: Offense
  • Mobility
  • Least important: Defense

Triangle Minor:
  • Most Important: Communication
  • Countermeasures:
  • Least important: Covertness

Specializations:
  • Most Important: Reality Alteration.
  • Nucleonics
  • Energy Physics
  • Information Science
  • Biotechnology
  • Materials Engineering
  • Least Important: Gravitonics

Last edited by The Fedral Union on Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
[09:07.53] <Estainia> ... Nuclear handgrenades have one end result. Everybody dies. For the M.F Republic, I guess
Member of the Galactic Economic and Security Organization
[REDACTED BY MOD]

Derscon
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Derscon » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:19 pm

The Fedral Union wrote:
The United Solar States of the Terran Alliance wrote:Triangle Major:
  • Most Important: Offense
  • Mobility
  • Least important: Defense

Triangle Minor:
  • Most Important: Communication
  • Countermeasures:
  • Least important: Covertness

Specializations:
  • Most Important: Reality Alteration.
  • Nucleonics
  • Energy Physics
  • Information Science
  • Biotechnology
  • Materials Engineering
  • Least Important: Gravitonics

Reality Alteration? Really? That surprises me.

瞞天過海

Shinkadomayaka
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 23, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Shinkadomayaka » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:29 pm

Shinkadomayaka:
Triangle Major:
Offense
Defense
Mobility

Triangle Minor:
Countermeasures
Communication
Covertness

Specializations:
Energy
Gravitonics
Alteration
Information
Materials
Biotechnology
Nucleonics
Military service compulsary.
Benevelont Dictatorship.
DEFCON 1: Relative Peace
Quotes of Awesomeness
Tsaraine wrote:Somewhere in Philadelphia, one school administrator has just smacked another school administrator upside the head. "Damnit, Jenkins! I told you we should just have gone with chastity belts!"

Huntertopia wrote:95% of all teens would cry if Justin Bieber was jumped and killed. 4% would laugh at his dead corpse. If you are the 1% that jumped him, copy and paste this in your sig.

Protectorates:
Percussionistsers

Techno-Soviet
Senator

Founded: Jan 19, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Techno-Soviet » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:32 pm

Triangle Major:
  • Offense
  • Defense
  • Mobility

Triangle Minor:
  • Communication
  • Countermeasures
  • Covertness

Specializations:
  • Information Science
  • Energy Physics
  • Materials Engineering
  • Biotechnology
  • Nucleonics
  • Gravitonics
  • Reality Alteration

Last edited by Techno-Soviet on Sat May 22, 2010 4:08 am, edited 4 times in total.
[align=center]Economic Tyranny/Libertarian: 6.38
Social Libertarian/Tyranny: -3.33

Sskiss
Diplomat

Postby Sskiss » Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:54 am

Quote-The Great Dinosaurian Empire of Sskiss wrote:Triangle Major:
  • Defense
  • Mobility
  • Offense

Triangle Minor:
  • Covertness
  • Countermeasures
  • Communication

Specializations:
  • Materials Engineering
  • Gravitonics
  • Nucleonics
  • Biotechnology
  • Energy Physics
  • Information Science
  • Reality Alteration

[/quote]

Yes, we are dirty sneaky bastards....
Last edited by Sskiss on Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Eat or be Eaten"

Sskiss Apothegms

Belschaft
Minister

Founded: Mar 19, 2008
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Belschaft » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:31 am

Triangle Major:
* Offense
* Mobility
* Defense

Triangle Minor:
* Communications
* Countermeasures
* Covertness

Specializations:
* Gravitonics
* Information Science
* Energy Physics
* Materials Engineering
* Nucleonics
* Reality Alteration
* Biotechnology
Last edited by Belschaft on Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
You will never be happy if you continue to search for what happiness consists of.
You will never live if you are looking for the meaning of life.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information