New Edom, officially known as the Allied States of New Edom, is a nation that was once part of the Cornellian Empire. For the last 15 years it has struggled with civil war for territorial, religious and political reasons.
Map of New Edom with Borders
The official languages are English and Baran, (a Semitic language related to Hebrew) German, Dawarf, Elwe and Haranese (a sub-dialect of Baran) are also spoken.
1. Holy, holy, holy! Lord God Almighty!
Early in the morning our song shall rise to thee.
Holy, holy, holy! Merciful and mighty,
God in three persons, blessed Trinity!
2. Holy, holy, holy! All the saints adore thee,
casting down their golden crowns around the glassy sea;
cherubim and seraphim falling down before thee,
which wert, and art, and evermore shalt be.
3. Holy, holy, holy! Though the darkness hide thee,
though the eye of sinful man thy glory may not see,
only thou art holy; there is none beside thee,
perfect in power, in love and purity.
4. Holy, holy, holy! Lord God Almighty!
All thy works shall praise thy name, in earth and sky and sea.
Holy, holy, holy! Merciful and mighty,
God in three persons, blessed Trinity.
At the height of its power, it covered the vast majority of the region of Cornellia, including both continents, and the territory that now comprises such nations as Cinya, Gavinium, Kazakia, Nordkreussen, New Edom, Wielkilas, Wolfmanne, Draconia, Megazone, Schleischer, Cookish States, Mount Angel, and Menassa.
Futile and expensive wars of aggression against Riemaia and Tartarus revealed the first cracks in the edifice, and this was followed by an internal religious war between the predominant Christian faith and certain religious dissenters, notably including the Society of Light and Justice. This was a quasi-Manichean faith that grew among the legions and sailors during the futile wars of aggression against Riemaia and Tartarus. Unlike the Manicheans, the Society believed that true good was justice and true evil was injustice. They condemned the Church as evil and corrupt, as well as the State.
The revolt of 1809 produced a rival Emperor in Aelius Jacobus and led to a seven-year civil war. After Jacobus was defeated and slain, his daughter Sophia became Princess of Gavinium Magnus, a new state composed of the last stronghold of the rebellion. This was in 1816 and the new country existed for 4 years, before the Cornellian Empire attempted to quash it. Three years of failure later and a treaty was signed between them, granting the principality client status. This was the beginning of the last era of the Cornellian system.
A series of other revolts, starting before this time with the Cookish States and continuing with more Cookish and Draconian uprisings, led to a great number of massacres, atrocities, and costly wars to put down such rebellions. These were never fully repressed nor ended.
The rising taxes and demands for troops also affected states like New Edom, triggering discontent as the need for more manpower and tribute to put down other uprisings led to resentment there.
Persecutions of pagans, heretics, Jews, etc. increased the civil and military unrest, as the government began running large debts and making them up by seizing properties of dissidents and "apostates", both in the provinces and autonomous states. Increasingly, client-states were treated like provinces themselves, except without the benefit of citizenship. Socii were hanged for the slightest acts of defiance to their Cornellian overlords.
The Empire's totalitarian drifted reached its darkest moment when Tiberius Gallus took the throne in 1850. He burned and hanged more heretics, pagans, and dissidents than all previous Emperors put together. The result was a backlash and violent revolutions in even such normally peaceable client-states as Mount Angel. The judicial murder of King Josiah I for his outspoken protest at this policy galvanized the New Edomite people behind his successor, Queen Adah I, who staged a rebellion out of the province of Haran against the Empire.
With aid from Riemaia, Tartartus, and other states, such client-states and provinces as Draconia, Cookish States, New Edom, Mount Angel, and Menassa broke away at last. Constant warfare by a fanatical Emperor could not bring them back. During Adah I's reign she annexed the Imperial Provinces of Etruria Majora and Gloria Regis.
In the end, Tiberius Gallus became morose and depressed, and he hanged himself. It was said that at the end, he could hear the screams of his victims as they burnt at the stake. In an irony of sorts, because of his suicide, the fanatically pious monarch was denied a Christian burial and the Senate of Constantinople damned his memory.
His successor then signed a series of peace treaties, reluctantly accepting the inevitable. The Cornellian Empire was exhausted, broke, and bled dry of manpower for a generation. It had no choice but to fall. The Late Roman Empire proved to be much more practical rump and has survived to this day, though not without its share of crises. Detente with the other successor states has begun and has reached progress faster with some than others.
History of the Civil War of New Edom
Protests for greater workers’ rights and freedoms in Lookinghaven, Glasstower, Harbourtown and Sterry became riots in the face of oppressive police and military tactics and were eventually supported by members of the armed forces and national legislature resulted in civil war. This conflict went on for approximately four years during which the city of Glasstower (held by rebel General Adam Nicanor) was leveled, Harbourtown (held by rebels) besieged, and the province of Haran (held by rebels) rising entirely in uprising.
In an unusual measure due to threats of foreign interests taking over the country an armistice took place between William Touchstone, the leader of the rebelling Free Congress, and King Mark Obed, which invited in Foreign Peacekeepers to help establish a treaty. Under this aegis Vici Minerva attempted to invade New Edom resulting in the Peace Conference ending in a hasty peace that unified the country under a coalition government. Not long after this King Mark was killed in a plane crash in Raith Immel, believed to be one of the first actions leading up to the 3rd Elwe Uprising, still ongoing. The grief stricken Crown Prince David took the throne but left much of the command of the nation to President Touchstone. However this difficult period had brought New Edom into close relations with the nations of Helladria, Ali-Zebu Union, Ossurwald, Lamoni, Inutoland, Riemaia, Marcheria, and Estovakiva.
More recently the struggles of New Edom have included dealing with the Manifesto of Liberty, which involved radical leftists, student groups and unionists protesting in the streets as a result of several Council Police arrests, and which resulted ultimately in greater liberalization of the country. In Raith Immel the Elwe Independence Organization continued to agitate and stage insurgency style attacks until harsh measures by then Defense Minister Admiral Charles Rand became harsh enough that he has recently been accused of genocide by the International Criminal Court.
Tensions between the two leading factions of government built and have finally exploded in a coup d'etat begun by Admiral Charles Rand in the city of Fineberg. A bomb went off at the President's hunting lodge at Ysbaddenfach, apparently killing him, his Vice-President, the Chiefs of the Military Staff and various Defense and Foreign Affairs advisers. While several government ministers were secured by the people attempting the coup, the Attorney-General and Undersecretary of Foreign Affairs managed to hold out with the aid of loyalist militia until troops loyal to the Free Congress arrived in Fineberg. The Foreign Minister was away at this time and has been proclaimed Acting President, while the King of the Allied States has declared that Admiral Rand is his acting Minister of Defense. And so civil war has begun.
The main areas of conflict are as follows:
1. East Bara. East Bara is the hub of the Allied States; much of the leadership and direction of industry and government are there, including ammunition factories, fuel refineries, communication and transport centers and power supply in general. The Free Congress currently holds the capital city of Fineberg, has besieged the Silver River Air Force Base and holds the border areas up to Raith Immel and Haran. Several militia organizations led by End Times Church Elders are either helping defend Fineberg or are acting as partisans and insurgency groups throughout the province.
2. Haran is the strongest Free Congress Province, held largely due to the absolute charismatic rule of Governor Augrim, a native Haranese belonging to the Political Party the Sons of the Dragon. The militia are overwhelmingly loyal to him. Pockets of anti-Free Congress resistance (possibly militia groups hostile to the Sons of the Dragon, possibly foreign special forces) are operating in the area. It is also the designated point of arrival for foreign forces supporting the Free Congress. It is the site of an important Air Force Base and a Naval Air Station.
3. Harbourtown is the second largest city in New Edom and is a hub of industry, particularly oil refinement. It is a target for capture by the Free Congress Fleet, but that fleet is currently outnumbered thanks to the arrival of the Riemaian Imperial Navy supporting the Monarchists. A force of 15,000 Marine Infantry have set out from Harbourtown to recapture Fineberg.
4. Padan-Aran is the hub of Monarchist activity, the home of the estate of the Regent Prince James Obed. From Padan-Aran the First Mechanized Infantry Division has launched an assault to capture Fineberg supporting a pincer movement by the Third Marine Division. (see above)
5. Etruria Majora is a province which has long been a source of tension regarding parts of it being claimed and occupied by the Kingdom of Nordkruessen. Forces in this province are neutral at the moment only because the internal political divisions are held at bay by fears of what would happen if there were not large forces concentrated around a demilitarized zone on the northern border.
6. Raith Immel, New Edom’s wildest and least populated province, is occupied by small regular forces, Nalayan allied forces and Elwe tribal militia groups, notably the Red Branch, Black Branch, Green Branch and the White Thorns.
2. Admiral Charles Rand appointed Minister of Defense by the King. Ruled unconstitutional by leading Free Congress leaders; their attempted arrests result in outbreak of violence in the capital.
3. Declaration of allegiance for the Admiral by significant numbers of the armed forces and by certain provincial governments. The result of this is a simultaneous declaration of allegiance for the Free Congress by other military leaders and provincial leaders.
4. Detainment of leading members of the cabinet including the Ministers of Environment, Education, Health, Oil and Resources and Transport by Admiral Rand ‘for their own safety’. Their whereabouts are currently unknown.
5. Foreign Minister Sif Finnhald, at an economic summit in the Late Roman Empire, is declared Acting President by means of her cabinet seniority. She is invited to meet with leaders from Lamoni, the Shrailleeni Empire, Nalaya, Ganos Lao, Adiron and the Late Roman Empire aboard the Lamonian flagship Patria.
6. Attempts to besiege the Palace of Justice , Stonehaven (Council Police HQ) and Foreign Ministry in Fineberg result in a two day standoff as Marine Infantry attempt to storm the buildings but are resisted by militia groups and armed members of government. Police Minister Kohath captured but loyal Council Police forces led by General Sidney Harcourt capture the building itself, resulting in a standoff.
7. Brigadier-General Perrin Pahath-Moab, the first senior officer to declare allegiance to the Free Congress openly, launches an attack on Fineberg to relieve the besieged members of government there. An attempt is made to halt the advance of his forces (14th Armoured Cavalry Regiment supported by 5th Fighter Squadron) by the Cavalry Guards and aviators from the Fineberg Naval Air Station result in a defeat of Monarchist Forces.
8. Admiral Rand calls into active service the 12th Infantry Division, a reserve unit in Fineberg. 12th Infantry Division troops clash openly in the streets with End Times Church militia and also arresting a number of Free Congress loyalists.
9. Air forces from Haran clash with Air forces from the Silver River Air Force Base in East Bara; this clash results in a general stalemate.
10. Refusal to obey senior admiralty orders in the largely Monarchist Southern Fleet results in Admiral Button declaring for the Free Congress. Armed clashes aboard several naval ships as mutinies against Monarchist aristocratic officers take place.
11. Marine Infantry storm the Foreign Ministry successfully only to find that several senior officials have escaped including Undersecretary Colleen Fish.
12. 32nd Armoured Cavalry Regiment supported by air units moves across the Haran-Baran border to support the Free Congress.
13. Majestic Hotel and other hotels in Fineberg occupied by 12th Infantry Division troops who are looking for Free Congress supporters.
14. A general declaration by a New Edomite association of businesspeople manages to obtain promises from several leading corporations that have investment in New Edom to keep their operations going. As a result of this several mercenary organizations later enter the country to protect employees and property. (including Ohsung Petroleum, Montana Pharmaceuticals and Thinktronic Inc.)
15. Full mobilization of Monarchist led garrisons at Tyrannis and Phoracos military bases; 3rd Marine Infantry and 1st Mechanized Infantry divisions respectively. They are ordered to advance into East Bara by General Joshua Adams.
16. Humanitarian aid workers from the Cookish States move through the Province of Haran in order to provide for people fleeing the fighting in East Bara. Meeting of government officials in the nation of Mount Angel discuss offering peacekeeping units to protect humanitarian aid workers and refugees in East Bara.
17. General Pahath-Moab’s forces defeat the Marine Infantry Division in a day long battle in North Fineberg. Marines retreat in order to protect the Silver River Air Force Base. Admiral Rand flees Fineberg following entry of 14th Armoured Cavalry (Free Congress) entry into the city. Siege of Palace of Justice and Stonehaven relieved by End Times Church militia.
18. Prince James Obed holds a party in Padan-Aran in order to possibly gain Monarchist supporting allies. Admiral Charles Rand accused by ICC of crimes against humanity; attempts by Free Congress to gain international mediation organizations' support fizzle.
19. Monarchist naval forces led by Vice-Admiral Hannegan are trapped in a minefield by Free Congress naval forces and then attacked by a combined surface and air group at Hareng Bay near the city of Harbourtown. However Imperial Riemaian naval forces arriving to support the Monarchists attack the Free Congress Fleet. Battle of Hareng Bay currently rages.
20. Monarchist forces approaching Fineberg are slowed by militia sabotage attacks and minefields.
21. Free Congress members of the National Legislature advocate the arrest of Monarchist, Communist and Wisdom Party leadership with the support of citizenry and police.
22. Free Congress forces in Fineberg begin preparing for a siege. Negotiations begin in Sixington, Gloria Regis, between Monarchist, Free Congress and Mount Angel envoys concerning use of Mount Angel peacekeepers in East Bara.
23. Late Roman Empire and Nalayan forces begin arriving in New Edom to support the Free Congress; Nalayans in Raith Immel and Late Romans in Haran. Archbishop William Laudner begs both sides to seek further mediation, turning instead to strong nations abroad rather than WA or other international organizations.
24. Norvenian peacekeepers arrive in Fineberg East Bara to begin peacekeeping operations there.[
25. Mediation offered by Empress Gehenna of Tartarus. Following acceptance, meeting takes place in Quelle Palace between delegations of Free Congress and Monarchist leadership.
26. UEF alliance becomes involved in mediation and in peacekeeping, though long delays and bureaucratic dithering results in continuation of the war.
27.Peace agreement signed in Quelle Palace[
28. Following the Peace agreement and appointment of Secretary-General Canopus Fade by agreement of both parties, adoption of constitution, coalition government begins to operate in New Edom, with territorial boundaries maintained./spoiler]
[spoiler=The Free Congress]Leadership
1. William Touchstone, the President of the Free Congress, was apparently assassinated by a bomb attack on his hunting lodge, and is still believed dead.
2. Sif Finnhald, the Foreign Minister, has been declared the Acting President of the Allied States. She was a very successful foreign minister, establishing good relations with a number of countries, and is one of the most charismatic leaders of the Free Congress. Currently she has been abroad gathering support for the cause of the Free Congress.
3. Sarah Carmel, the Attorney-General is governing the Free Congress held territory in Finnhald’s absence. Carmel is very religious, very tough minded and focused.
4. Governor Augrim of Haran is acting Minister of Defense following acceptance by the National Legislature in Fineberg. Armed forces in Haran include militia groups including the elite highly trained Risen which acts as a special forces unit.
5. John Kohath is the Minister of Police, which acts as an intelligence gathering, national security and national police organization.
5. Lieutenant-General Martin Benajah is the commander of Free Congress military forces.
6. Thaddeus Burden, leader of the End Times Church, is Foreign Minister as well as the leader of a number of the militia groups operating in East Bara.
Representative democratic government (which is free and fair) must be established first and foremost for the equal participation of the people of New Edom.
Equality in that all peoples are deserving of the same treatment, and policies to ensure that treatment must be in place.
Federalism: in that the nation is of utmost importance and must be supported by its citizens. However, national government must be balanced by a three-tier system of provincial and then township control.
While it encourages pursuit of foreign trade, particularly with allies, it is against domination of the country by agendas of foreign coporations or powers. Our agenda is put our country first. Join alliances but do not join
world bodies that control our legislation. Reinvest in technology, this includes green technology, oil and gas will not be here forever start now in in investing in wind, biodiesel, wave, solar, and nuclear power. The military makes our country strong, especially a future oriented military.
Encourages direct ownership of industries. Put legislation in place that allows profit sharing in corporations. Encourage employee ownership, allow unions and employees the option to buyout failing companies, make it easier for stock shareholders to take control of corporations. Allow for partial government ownership of essential industries, but not full control. Create a national country fund to invest abroad in bonds, stocks, and property. In trade, it believes in putting the country and society first and to aggressively pursue trade with foreign allies.
The party believes the country should make two years of education after high school compulsory either in a college, military service, or trade, and make one year of military service or service to your country compulsory. Considering your countries countries shape, create a public works program to keep people off the breadlines.
Religion and Morality
The Free Congress is in spite of appearance deeply divided on the issue of religion. Roughly 35% of the Party is actually from other political parties amalgamated to prevent a Monarchist landslide in the elections following the armistice. These political parties range from libertarian to green to secular humanist socialist, and have been forced to align with the original Free Congress leadership which is deeply religious. The non-religious want generally for religion to be a purely private matter, though they have different views on how this should be applied. They also want a total reversal of the Morality Act which would entirely secularize New Edomite society, removing religious courts completely and a biblically based legal system.
The Compulsory Nudity act is an odd compromise among them—Adamite practices among the End Times and Haranese Christian Church led to this law being established, but in fact the Anarcho-Naturist movement that has grown among secular Free Congress members strongly supported it.
Environmentally, the recommends long range plans for resources for forests, land, and other resources. It also believes it will be necessary to follow a stewardship philosophy in maintaining land.
1. The Free Republic of Lamoni (one of New Edom’s strongest trading and developing partners. Close ties between leadership on a national level)
2. The Shrailleeni Empire
3. The Protectorate of Nalaya (one of New Edom’s oldest allies. Strong close ties between Free Congress and Nalayan leadership as well as ties of military comradeship.)
4. The Late Roman Empire (a new ally and trading partner largely due to the personal charisma of the acting President Sif Finnhald)
5. The Cookish States (the Cookish States is trying to seem neutral but barely conceals open support for the Free Congress)
6. Adiron (attempting to bring in closer ties, suspecting the Imperium of Arbites, its rival, of supporting the Free Congress)
1. King David III is a young man in his late twenties who spends most of his time abroad. He married Princess Selvaria of Riemaia and they have two infant children.
2. Prince James Obed, the King’s paternal uncle is the Regent of New Edom by appointment from King David. He is one of the wealthiest men in New Edom not only by inheritance but by constant investment planning.
3. Prince Philip Tubal-Cain, the King’s maternal uncle, is the principal advisor for Foreign Affairs.
4. Admiral Charles Rand is the appointed Minister of Defense who also led the coup.
5. General Joshua Adams is the Commander-in-Chief of Monarchist forces in New Edom.
Economic views include agreeing with free trade and investment by international corporations as well as national trade. Quality assurance is agreed with. The party believes in use of nationalized utilities on a purely pragmatic basis. A competitive banking system is preferred over a national banking system.
Socially the party is dubious about the importance of gender equality but agrees with racial and age equality. It is conservative where religious involvement in politics is concerned—accepting tax free status of churches but diminishment of political involvement for religious groups.
Regarding civil liberties and political freedoms, the party is very conservative, agreeing with political expression, artistic expression and is strictly one man one woman for life when it comes to marriage. The party believes in keeping the necessity of requiring travel papers to move around internally. Education is preferably free for this party. Strongly repudiates Compulsory Nudity and wants to see an end to the End Times Church and to diminish roles of women in business, politics, religion and in the military.
[Spoiler=Events of the Edomite Conflict Following the Peace of Quelle]
Following a period of stability and truce as the results of peace negotiations at Quelle Palace in Tartarus, President Touchstone returned to power and abolished the Compulsory Nudity Act. However the damage was done; while a strong devoted following remained in parts of Bara and in Gloria Regis, traditional religious and cultural elements began to rally further under the Monarchy, which was increasingly remembered as a bringer of economic and political stability.
While the Monarchists returned to full power, they lacked absolute control of the countryside, while they did establish control over the larger populated areas. In exchange for the establishment of the Ecotopian Republic of Raith Immel for example the EIO came into full power in Raith Immel but found itself dealing with a strong insurgency in the form of the White Thorns and the Black Branch. In Haran, conservative support against the regime of Augrim the Necromancer resulted in control of Sterry and other large populated areas, but a desert and mountain based insurgency. In Bara and Lookinghaven Province, ETC insurgency remained, based in part out of the stronghold at Glasstower. With the military weakened by foreign expeditions and expenditure of blood in the civil wars, the actual recapture of Glasstower has remained problematic, and it remains a source of insurgency in the country.
With the resignation of King David III, James was crowned James I of New Edom, his daughter Mara became Crown Princess, and a new era would supposedly be ushered in...
TABLE OF CONTENTS
1. Government Overview
2. Political Parties
3. Office of the President
4. Ministry of Defense
5. Ministry of Foreign Affairs
6. Ministry of Finance
7. Ministry of Justice
8. Ministry of Agriculture and the Environment
9. Ministry of Police
10. Ministry of Culture
11. Ministry of Education
12. Ministry of Tourism
13. Ministry of the Interior
14. Ministry of Health
15. Protectorate of Gloria Regis
16. Protectorate of Etruria Majora
17. Ministry of Transport
*Note: All Pictures of Government Officials are shown fully dressed due to World Assembly Factbook General Regulations. In New Edomite Nationally Published Factbooks all government officials are now depicted fully nude.