NATION

PASSWORD

Your Nation's Air Force [MKI]

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Marquesan
Minister

Founded: Oct 21, 2010
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Marquesan » Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:54 pm

The Republic of Lanos wrote:Would it be feasible to make an NS F-117 an actual stealth fighter comparable to the F-22 in its time?

Calling the F-117 a "fighter" is a misnomer, anyway. It was never designed for air-to-air combat, was never capable of supersonic flight, could only carry two weapons internally and lacks a cannon. It really has a pretty terrible aerodynamic coefficient, carries no onboard radar whatsoever, is limited to 5,000 lbs. of ordinance, cannot make use of an afterburner...

It is the product of the cutting edge of 1970's computer-aided design, but subsequent designs like the F-22 Raptor are far more advanced, carry much more ordinance, can actually carry a radar, can travel beyond the speed of sound...

F-117A is only useful as a tactical first-strike aircraft in areas where you have no expectation of modern fighter cover and where your element of surprise is total. They are a sneak-attack ground strike aircraft and painting them as a "fighter" is a terrible idea. Against a modern NS opponent, they would be swatted from the sky.
"Just so Summanus, wrapped in a smoking whirlwind of blue flame, falls upon people and cities." - John Milton, In Quintum Novembris

@Marquesan I hereby proclaim you as the Gothic Mad Scientist, who actually isn't mad but a brilliant genius which every nations military goes to consult when they quietly tell their leaders, "We'll consult our experts" and when asked who they always say "private sources"
@Marquesan I will say man you're the only person on NS I've ever mistaken for a genuine Weapons designer.
Friend of Kraven, 2005-2023
18 years of stories deleted
Kraven Prevails!

The Republic of Lanos
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Lanos » Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:55 pm

Marquesan wrote:
The Republic of Lanos wrote:Would it be feasible to make an NS F-117 an actual stealth fighter comparable to the F-22 in its time?

Calling the F-117 a "fighter" is a misnomer, anyway. It was never designed for air-to-air combat, was never capable of supersonic flight, could only carry two weapons internally and lacks a cannon. It really has a pretty terrible aerodynamic coefficient, carries no onboard radar whatsoever, is limited to 5,000 lbs. of ordinance, cannot make use of an afterburner...

It is the product of the cutting edge of 1970's computer-aided design, but subsequent designs like the F-22 Raptor are far more advanced, carry much more ordinance, can actually carry a radar, can travel beyond the speed of sound...

F-117A is only useful as a tactical first-strike aircraft in areas where you have no expectation of modern fighter cover and where your element of surprise is total. They are a sneak-attack ground strike aircraft and painting them as a "fighter" is a terrible idea. Against a modern NS opponent, they would be swatted from the sky.

Hmm, ok then...

United States of PA
Senator

Founded: Apr 01, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby United States of PA » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:01 pm

F-117 was vulnerable in the 1990s.

Heres a little fun fact though: Apparently the USAF still has all its F-117s in mothball storage in Nevada in case they are needed again (Cant be used over Russia, but certainly can be used over a place like the Middle East or almost anywhere in Africa).
In other words, conservatives are generous with their own money, and liberals are generous with other peoples money.
"I object and take exception to everyone saying that Obama and Congress are spending money like a drunken sailor. As a former drunken sailor, I quit when I ran out of money." ~ Unknown
"See, it doesn't matter how many people you have, how old your civilization is, or any such tripe. We're still the by-God US of A and we will seriously bitch slap you so hard your ancestors going back millenia will feel it if you piss us off."

The Corparation
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 31, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Corparation » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:10 pm

Not during the early years but for later in its life you might want to look into the proposed F-117N and A/F-117 X. Niether really compares to the abilities of the Raptor though.
Nuclear Death Machines Here (Both Flying and Orbiting)
Orbital Freedom Machine Here
A Subsidiary company of Nightkill Enterprises Inc.Weekly words of wisdom: Nothing is more important than waifus.- Gallia-
Making the Nightmare End 2020 2024 WARNING: This post contains chemicals known to the State of CA to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. - Prop 65, CA Health & Safety This Cell is intentionally blank.

The Republic of Lanos
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Lanos » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:12 pm

The Corparation wrote:

Not during the early years but for later in its life you might want to look into the proposed F-117N and A/F-117 X. Niether really compares to the abilities of the Raptor though.

It'd be like the F-22 of its time until the F-22 came along.

Marquesan
Minister

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Marquesan » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:38 pm

The Republic of Lanos wrote:
The Corparation wrote:Not during the early years but for later in its life you might want to look into the proposed F-117N and A/F-117 X. Niether really compares to the abilities of the Raptor though.

It'd be like the F-22 of its time until the F-22 came along.

F-18 Hornet is far more capable in every measurable way with the exception of RCS. F-15 is a good analogue, too, with much higher capabilities. If your concern is stealth, you might look at the F-22 or some NS analogues from Gemballa Avionic Development that will swat any of those aircraft from the sky. Either way, F-117A is good at only one thing; first strikes with laser-guided glide munitions when air superiority is not contested. Works great in less-developed countries as was said above, not against opponents with sophisticated sensor nets.
"Just so Summanus, wrapped in a smoking whirlwind of blue flame, falls upon people and cities." - John Milton, In Quintum Novembris

@Marquesan I hereby proclaim you as the Gothic Mad Scientist, who actually isn't mad but a brilliant genius which every nations military goes to consult when they quietly tell their leaders, "We'll consult our experts" and when asked who they always say "private sources"
@Marquesan I will say man you're the only person on NS I've ever mistaken for a genuine Weapons designer.
Kraven Prevails!

A Hooloovoo
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 17, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby A Hooloovoo » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:44 pm

There's always the sadly rejected YF-23 Black Widow II. Stealthier and faster than the YF-22 at the time.

Wonder how a production F-23A would have compared to the F-22A.
So long, and thanks for all the fish!

Saurisisia
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 28, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Saurisisia » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:45 pm

A Hooloovoo wrote:There's always the sadly rejected YF-23 Black Widow II. Stealthier and faster than the YF-22 at the time.

Really? It was?

Hm, more you know.
Autistic, Christian, Capitalist, Libertarian
Don't wish to display my sexuality for all to see because I don't care about what sexuality someone is
Make Tea, Not Love
Proud Yankee Monarchist
DA Account
https://dragcave.net/user/Bellumsaur13
Things in our country run in spite of government, not by aid of it. - Will Rogers
This nation reflects my RL beliefs and values (for the most part, anyway)
P/MT: The United Provinces of Saurisia
FT: The Federal Systems Republic of Saurisia
MT FT Embassy
ANTHRO AND A MEMBER OF THE MULTI-SPECIES UNION!

My nation's dominated by talking Dinosaurs, there is no realism (because ultra-realism is SO boring)
Dinosaurs rule!
I am Scaly and I am proud!

The Zeonic States
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 29, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Zeonic States » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:48 pm

The 15/16 couldn't touch the Eurofighter but the 22? I hate to admit it but the 22 is moderately superior to the Typhoon in terms of Radar Stealth and Super Sonic Capabilities although that's most in endurance during prolonged usage. Although if we are going by Jet's being able to turn on a dime? The EF beats the Raptor solidly in that realm. Based on the wing loading and thrust of the two jets, the EF would probably have the advantage Anyway, I really need to do an in depth comparision to the two Jets, i know the raptor has the EF beat in most respects but i believe that the EF beats the Raptor in others but i wouldn't discount the EF though.

But Yeah the Raptor is probably the best thing in the air at the moment although perhaps i should say the best thing in the air being mass produced. i still maintain the eurofighter is a solid machine.
National Imperialist-Freedom Party

Proud member of the stone wall alliance

Agent Maine: of NSG's Official Project Freelancer

[Fires of the Old Republic Role Play]http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=239203

A Hooloovoo
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby A Hooloovoo » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:49 pm

Yes, it was. I think it had the capability to carry more weapons in the bay, too. They didn't choose the Black Widow because Lockheed had a better reputation, like finishing the Nighthawk on time. Whereas Northrop had the cancelled A-12, the Tigershark, and such. I think politics killed the Black Widow.

However, the F-22A is obviously much more capable than the BW since it's a production aircraft, and not a prototype from over 15 years ago.
Last edited by A Hooloovoo on Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Onekawa-Nukanor
Senator

Founded: Sep 24, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby Onekawa-Nukanor » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:50 pm

A Hooloovoo wrote:There's always the sadly rejected YF-23 Black Widow II. Stealthier and faster than the YF-22 at the time.

It was also more expensive, and cost should always been considered, especially since is advantages were marginal at best.

Also, it was as fugly as one could get, but I'm one of the few who think that way here, so each to there own.
A NEW ZEALANDER

ALL BLACKS SUPPORTER

When refering to me ICly, please use the proper term Ngāti Onekawa-Nukanor, not Ngāti of Onekawa-Nukanor. Thank you.

Onekawa-Nukanor
Senator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Onekawa-Nukanor » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:53 pm

The Zeonic States wrote:The 15/16 couldn't touch the Eurofighter but the 22? I hate to admit it but the 22 is moderately superior to the Typhoon in terms of Radar Stealth and Super Sonic Capabilities although that's most in endurance during prolonged usage. Although if we are going by Jet's being able to turn on a dime? The EF beats the Raptor solidly in that realm. Based on the wing loading and thrust of the two jets, the EF would probably have the advantage Anyway, I really need to do an in depth comparision to the two Jets, i know the raptor has the EF beat in most respects but i believe that the EF beats the Raptor in others but i wouldn't discount the EF though.

But Yeah the Raptor is probably the best thing in the air at the moment although perhaps i should say the best thing in the air being mass produced. i still maintain the eurofighter is a solid machine.

Have you considered the F-22A Raptors thrust-vectoring engines in regards to stuff as turning radius?

At the least the F-22A is equal to an Typhoon in a dogfight, but has far superior BVR capabilities since it has far, far superior stealth.

I think the F-22A wins, or is at least equal to the Typhoon, in every way.
A NEW ZEALANDER

ALL BLACKS SUPPORTER

When refering to me ICly, please use the proper term Ngāti Onekawa-Nukanor, not Ngāti of Onekawa-Nukanor. Thank you.

The Republic of Lanos
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Lanos » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:53 pm

Now with the F-35 coming to replace a lot of fighters in the US, it's a shame we didn't adopt more of the F-22 in an air-superiority role while leaving the F-35 and variants to be a true multi-role fighter.

The Zeonic States
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 29, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Zeonic States » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:56 pm

Onekawa-Nukanor wrote:
The Zeonic States wrote:The 15/16 couldn't touch the Eurofighter but the 22? I hate to admit it but the 22 is moderately superior to the Typhoon in terms of Radar Stealth and Super Sonic Capabilities although that's most in endurance during prolonged usage. Although if we are going by Jet's being able to turn on a dime? The EF beats the Raptor solidly in that realm. Based on the wing loading and thrust of the two jets, the EF would probably have the advantage Anyway, I really need to do an in depth comparision to the two Jets, i know the raptor has the EF beat in most respects but i believe that the EF beats the Raptor in others but i wouldn't discount the EF though.

Have you considered the F-22A Raptors thrust-vectoring engines in regards to stuff as turning radius?

At the least the F-22A is equal to an Typhoon in a dogfight, but has far superior BVR capabilities since it has far, far superior stealth.

I think the F-22A wins, or is at least equal to the Typhoon, in every way.

Hrm i did not consider thrust vectoring in that comparision but i will do so; I need to do a in depth comparision anyway but my entire point was that the 22 either was only moderately superior to the EF in some aspects of not superior at all in others. I more so less view the Machines as Equals in most respects, I just happen to like the Eurofighter Design better personally.
National Imperialist-Freedom Party

Proud member of the stone wall alliance

Agent Maine: of NSG's Official Project Freelancer

[Fires of the Old Republic Role Play]http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=239203

The Corparation
Post Czar

Father Knows Best State

Postby The Corparation » Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:08 pm

On Typhoon vs Raptor I need to dig around but If I recall correctly some Euorpean pilotsa managed to rape some F-22s in dog-fighting during war games. Its got a better turn radius and is smaller and more agile then the Raptor.

A Hooloovoo wrote:Yes, it was. I think it had the capability to carry more weapons in the bay, too. They didn't choose the Black Widow because Lockheed had a better reputation, like finishing the Nighthawk on time. Whereas Northrop had the cancelled A-12, the Tigershark, and such. I think politics killed the Black Widow.

However, the F-22A is obviously much more capable than the BW since it's a production aircraft, and not a prototype from over 15 years ago.

It wasn't because of Reputation it was just politics. Northrop had the lucrative B-2 contract at the time (originally going to be several times the current fleet) . some stuff for the E-3 and The global hawk program. They wanted to spread the contracts around.

Also Tigershark was in-house and got cancelled because congress lifted export restrictions on the F-16 killing the market.
A Subsidiary company of Nightkill Enterprises Inc.Weekly words of wisdom: Nothing is more important than waifus.- Gallia-
Making the Nightmare End 2020 2024 WARNING: This post contains chemicals known to the State of CA to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. - Prop 65, CA Health & Safety This Cell is intentionally blank.

Grenetar
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Grenetar » Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:10 pm

My main fighter aircraft is the F-16E/F
Yes I know it has the United Arab Emirates flag on it.

MiG-29BT/SMT
German markings i know.
Information on The Republic of Grenetar

NOTE: Where there is a * that is the DEFCON level The Republic of Grenetar is.
Defcon 1- Invaded
Defcon 2- Invasion Imminent
Defcon 3- War
Defcon 4- Preperations for war
Defcon 5- Tensions rising
*Defcon 6- Peace
Grenetarian Revolutionary War(1999)-Won

Onekawa-Nukanor
Senator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Onekawa-Nukanor » Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:21 pm

The Corparation wrote:On Typhoon vs Raptor I need to dig around but If I recall correctly some Euorpean pilotsa managed to rape some F-22s in dog-fighting during war games. Its got a better turn radius and is smaller and more agile then the Raptor.

A Hooloovoo wrote:Yes, it was. I think it had the capability to carry more weapons in the bay, too. They didn't choose the Black Widow because Lockheed had a better reputation, like finishing the Nighthawk on time. Whereas Northrop had the cancelled A-12, the Tigershark, and such. I think politics killed the Black Widow.

It wasn't because of Reputation it was just politics. Northrop had the lucrative B-2 contract at the time (originally going to be several times the current fleet) . some stuff for the E-3 and The global hawk program. They wanted to spread the contracts around.

Also Tigershark was in-house and got cancelled because congress lifted export restrictions on the F-16 killing the market.

I remember reading that in dogfighting during wargames the F-22A could give as good as it got, and considering its superioirty in almost every other area... I'll try and find that information.
A NEW ZEALANDER

ALL BLACKS SUPPORTER

A Hooloovoo
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby A Hooloovoo » Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:29 pm

The Corparation wrote:

I couldn't think of the right word. Not reputation but it was more politically sound and industrially sound to choose the YF-22.

It's too bad about the Tigershark though. It was a damn good aircraft.

Our Most Resplendent Goddess Sen
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 24, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Our Most Resplendent Goddess Sen » Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:30 pm

Holy shit look what I found.

Detailed report on one of Marquardt's SERJ engine designs!
The Exaltation of the Celestial Court of Our Most Resplendent Goddess Sen

The Corparation
Post Czar

Father Knows Best State

Postby The Corparation » Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:49 pm

Onekawa-Nukanor wrote:
The Corparation wrote:On Typhoon vs Raptor I need to dig around but If I recall correctly some Euorpean pilotsa managed to rape some F-22s in dog-fighting during war games. Its got a better turn radius and is smaller and more agile then the Raptor.

I remember reading that in dogfighting during wargames the F-22A could give as good as it got, and considering its superioirty in almost every other area... I'll try and find that information.

The Raptor despite its impressive TVC is really better suited to BVR combat.

A Hooloovoo wrote:
The Corparation wrote:

I couldn't think of the right word. Not reputation but it was more politically sound and industrially sound to choose the YF-22.

It's too bad about the Tigershark though. It was a damn good aircraft.

It wasn't anything close to reputation. It was rigged from the start as Northrop already had major contracts while at the time Lockheed really didn't have anything close to what Northrop had at the time. Pentagon likes to distribute the load. Most of the Contests and such are almost entirely decided by politics and lobbying rather then performance.

Transnapastain
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Transnapastain » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:22 pm

United States of PA wrote:F-117 was vulnerable in the 1990s.

Heres a little fun fact though: Apparently the USAF still has all its F-117s in mothball storage in Nevada in case they are needed again (Cant be used over Russia, but certainly can be used over a place like the Middle East or almost anywhere in Africa).

This surprises me not at all.

According to what I've read, most of the aircraft in the boneyards down in Arizona and places could be made flight-worthy again as well. I'm sure the F-117's are enjoying a better storage facility that doesn't seem them baking in the hot southwestern sun though. :P

In fact, and I always laughed at this, there is a B-52 at Wright-Patterson, as part of the National Museum of the United States Air Force's Cold War display. If they move it to another stie, or even another part of the facility for a different display, as per one of the START treaties, they have to inform the Russian's.

Marquesan
Minister

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Marquesan » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:03 pm

Transnapastain wrote:

According to what I've read, most of the aircraft in the boneyards down in Arizona and places could be made flight-worthy again as well. I'm sure the F-117's are enjoying a better storage facility that doesn't seem them baking in the hot southwestern sun though. :P

In fact, and I always laughed at this, there is a B-52 at Wright-Patterson, as part of the National Museum of the United States Air Force's Cold War display. If they move it to another stie, or even another part of the facility for a different display, as per one of the START treaties, they have to inform the Russian's.

I've spent a good deal of time on Davis-Monthan AFB in Tuscon, AZ as part of an Army exercise in the area and I noticed some aircraft are much more carefully mothballed than others, though they're all to a fairly high standard. The best judge, I think, is how much of the aircraft is totally disassembled, how many parts are still on the airframes, etc. A lot of the F-16's, for example, look from the outside like you could almost take off the plastic coatings, start and fly them off, though I'm sure that's not the case.

Kraven Prevails!

The Corparation
Post Czar

Father Knows Best State

Postby The Corparation » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:15 pm

Transnapastain wrote:

I wonder if their B-36 would also fall under the treaty.

Transnapastain
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Transnapastain » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:23 pm

The Corparation wrote:
Transnapastain wrote:

I wonder if their B-36 would also fall under the treaty.

Thats actually a really interesting question I hadn't considered. I'll try to find out and let you know. I don't see a lot of the guys I used to know who work out there much, though, so no promises.

Also, according to wiki, Walter Soplata of Newbury Ohio, bought the original YB36 the museum had before it moved to the new site, back in 1972 and its sitting in pieces on his farm...It was cheaper from them to fly in a new B-36, the B-36J that's there now, than it was to move the existing one.
Last edited by Transnapastain on Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

The Corparation
Post Czar

Father Knows Best State

Postby The Corparation » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:34 pm

Transnapastain wrote:
The Corparation wrote:I wonder if their B-36 would also fall under the treaty.

Thats actually a really interesting question I hadn't considered. I'll try to find out and let you know. I don't see a lot of the guys I used to know who work out there much, though, so no promises.

Also, according to wiki, Walter Soplata of Newbury Ohio, bought the original YB36 the museum had before it moved to the new site, back in 1972 and its sitting in pieces on his farm...It was cheaper from them to fly in a new B-36, the B-36J that's there now, than it was to move the existing one.

I've read about that. Guy's got a full P-47 in new in box stored inside the thing's bomb bay.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information