NATION

PASSWORD

Most dangerous game: Right-Libertarian version

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Is the company described below okay according to your ethics?

Yes.
47%
No.
53%

Total votes : 53

Servantium
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 23, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Servantium » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:25 am

Natapoc wrote:Wait... So people under 16 are unable to enter a contract... Which means they are unable to work.

Which means they are unable to provide for themselves.

Which obligates someone else to provide for them.

The government is to ensure that they are provided for... But only if they pay? With the money they are not legally able to obtain due to anti child labor laws?

Did you miss the part where I'm just making this up as I go? I guess within the context of what I've said the guardian's payment would apply to their ward, similar to the way that a family insurance plan covers more than just the person whose bank account the payment comes out of.

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Founded: Sep 12, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:27 am

Natapoc wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:First off, there are openly racist libertarians. Quite prominent on Stormfront and such. Secondly, the kind of racism I'm talking about is the kind the libertarian himself is typically not aware. Not to say unconscious racism is limited to libertarians: it's in everyone is in somewhat. But libertarians often let it dictate their ethics and policy, though not knowingly.

What are you doing on Stormfront anyway Parkus?

I'm not on Stormfront. If I were, which I'm not, I'd be trollin' like a boss.
Last edited by The Parkus Empire on Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
American Orthodox: one, holy, catholic, and apostolic church.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist
♂Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology and know men and women aren't the same.♀

Staenwald
Senator

Founded: Oct 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Staenwald » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:28 am

Natapoc wrote:
Servantium wrote:User fees. Government only protects the rights of those under its jurisdiction and the only ones under its jurisdiction are tthe ones that pay for that protection.

Wait... So people under 16 are unable to enter a contract... Which means they are unable to work.

Which means they are unable to provide for themselves.

Which obligates someone else to provide for them.

The government is to ensure that they are provided for... But only if they pay? With the money they are not legally able to obtain due to anti child labor laws?

I assume that you assuming these children have no parents or guardians? some right-wing libertarism may argue that children don't yet have mental and -in young cases- physical ability to act rationally, in which case they would be entitled to healthcare, education etc, up to the age they legally become adults.
However I am of the opinion that children should be looked after by their parents, and those without such should be looked after by people who might feel it an act of charity.
Found my sig 6 months after joining...thanks Norstal.
Lord Tothe wrote:Well, if Karl Marx turns out to be right, I....I'll eat my hat! As a side note, I need to create a BaconHat (TM) for any such occasions where I may end up actually having to eat my hat. Of course, this isn't one of them.

Katganistan wrote:"You got some Galt not swallowing this swill."

The Black Forrest wrote:Oh go Galt yourself.

Natapoc
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Natapoc » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:29 am

Staenwald wrote:If you wanted to be right libertarian to the absolute extreme, it probably would be able to be justified, since both parties are in agreement. Any terms and conditions would most likely be spelt out within the contract, to protect the 'hunters' from suing the victim, or vice versa. Most right wing morality ideologies are based on the principle that humans are rational beings, and they need to act so if they want to live. Being rational obviously involves gathering and weighing up facts and testing them against what you maybe believe, or are unsure about and you should make the value judgement at that point. Objectivists put their own lives as the highest value to themselves in their life, so it's really quite unlikely that a person of that particular code of ethics would sign away their lives like that.

However...in terms of interpreting individual rights, it's probably fair to say that it wouldn't be allowed on the grounds that no matter what you sign, you individual rights are upheld by the government, and only the individual is the one who can take their own rights away directly, not assign them to someone else.

From a business point of view, i really doubt this would take off. Businesses are subjected to the power of consumer choice, and i'm not exactly sure what faith you have in your fellow man, but I am confident in saying that the vast majority of people would be extremely against at the concept, and so the business plan would be unlikely to work, simply on a cost basis.

Not only this bust there are many hard jobs which would probably be more worthwhile to yourself than getting killed.

Finally, if anything, does this surely point to the concept that altruism is dangerous, in that people would put themselves forward to be killed for the sake of others. In the rest of society we regularaly have the products of our work stolen through taxes for the sake of others, the only difference here is that for once you are willingly allowing the will of others to be imposed upon you, and the act of altruism involves death.

Where is the altruism here?

In this story everyone is looking out for their own rational self interest as free rational agents. The employees want some income so they can feed their hungry children, the hunter wants a to experience the thrill of the hunt! And the business man puts the two together, sets up the rules and procedures.

Also... There are 7 billion people on this earth. It would only take a fraction of a percent of them to be sick enough in the head to want to do something like this to keep the company afloat.

It's called a niche market. They are very profitable especially when underdeveloped.
Did you see a ghost?

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:30 am

Caninope wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:Well let's get down to it: how many libertarians object to child labor being used by corporations overseas?

It depends on the conditions.

For many of the "sweatshops" the children in East Asia, the children end up having a better life than they would have had.

So you're for the legalization of child labor and sweatshops in the U.S.?
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist
♂Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology and know men and women aren't the same.♀

Staenwald
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Staenwald » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:34 am

The Parkus Empire wrote:
Natapoc wrote:

Having racism inclinations whilst being a libertarian is possible. However individual right applied, the rights of everyone are equal. no one race legally has more rights than another. Individuals cannot force or harm others of another race. However, this doesnt mean people can't decide how to use their property. They could be racist and refuse to sell things or come into the contact with another race, but in this instance they are more governed by their own appearance to everyone else in society.Being racist doesnt help you if you want to make money, since you want to appeal to the broadest audience possible.

I abhor racism, I think it's disgusting and also irrational. I openly protest against it, but it still doesnt give me the right to force others into thinking so.
Lord Tothe wrote:Well, if Karl Marx turns out to be right, I....I'll eat my hat! As a side note, I need to create a BaconHat (TM) for any such occasions where I may end up actually having to eat my hat. Of course, this isn't one of them.

Natapoc
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Natapoc » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:34 am

The Parkus Empire wrote:
Natapoc wrote:

I'm afraid to look. If they are anything like the racists who invade NSG occasionally I'd probably damage my computer after long and there is no point in damaging my computer if I don't have to.

But yes I can see the allure of trolling a place like that.
Did you see a ghost?

Allanea
Postmaster of the Fleet

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Allanea » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:36 am

What lengths must the company go to to make the prospective employee aware of the potentially lethal aspects of the job? Is simply putting it on page 27 of a 50 page contract in small writing sufficient?

You see, this is why I'm not 100% an anarchist.

From an ethical standpoint, I wouldn't feel right with doing such a thing if the participant doesn't actually know they're going to be at risk of death.

But from a legal standpoint, I just don't know. The law is a different beast than ethic – you need to outline a set of objectively quantifiable conditions under which the participant 'counts as' informed under law. I do not know what that standard is at this case.

My viewpoint is that it's always okay to defend oneself even using lethal violence if needed. As such I would disagree that the person committed murder by killing the hunter with the sharpened stick.

Consider the contrary.

In general, we believe – I think even non-libertarians agree – that you do not have a right of self-defense if you started it. In some jurisdictions, merely provoking an encounter is sufficient to weaken a claim of self-defense.

Presume there was no contract or hunting game or whatever. Suppose there was just a guy with a rifle and I shouted: “Go ahead, shoot at me, I don't care!” and then when he shot at me, I would draw my own gun and shoot back at him. That's clearly not something a court would agree was legitimate self-defense in the same way as defending yourself from unprovoked attack. You would probably go to prison for this if there witnesses.

But then, how is signing a contract that effectively says 'go ahead, shoot at me, I don't care' different?

Again, I would feel highly uncomfortable with stating outright that a person like this is a murderer. But I think you appreciate how this is problematic.
#HyperEarthBestEarth

Sometimes, there really is money on the sidewalk.

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:37 am

Staenwald wrote:Having racism inclinations whilst being a libertarian is possible. However individual right applied, the rights of everyone are equal. no one race legally has more rights than another. Individuals cannot force or harm others of another race. However, this doesnt mean people can't decide how to use their property. They could be racist and refuse to sell things or come into the contact with another race, but in this instance they are more governed by their own appearance to everyone else in society.Being racist doesnt help you if you want to make money, since you want to appeal to the broadest audience possible.

I abhor racism, I think it's disgusting and also irrational. I openly protest against it, but it still doesnt give me the right to force others into thinking so.

Are you in favor of current corporate use of child labor as "justified" but against white children being utilized for child labor and sweatshops?
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:38 am

Natapoc wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:I'm not on Stormfront. If I were, which I'm not, I'd be trollin' like a boss.

I'm afraid to look. If they are anything like the racists who invade NSG occasionally I'd probably damage my computer after long and there is no point in damaging my computer if I don't have to.

It was founded by a genuine KKK leader and member of an American Nazi party, so you can take it from there.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist

Allanea
Postmaster of the Fleet

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Allanea » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:38 am

The Parkus Empire wrote:
Natapoc wrote:

It was founded by a genuine KKK leader and member of an American Nazi party, so you can take it from there.

VNN is worse. They condemn Stormfront for not being racist enough. I trolled VNN once, it was epic.
#HyperEarthBestEarth

Sometimes, there really is money on the sidewalk.

Tekcirb
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 23, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Tekcirb » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:39 am

No but im not a libertarian

Staenwald
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Staenwald » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:43 am

Natapoc wrote:
Staenwald wrote:If you wanted to be right libertarian to the absolute extreme, it probably would be able to be justified, since both parties are in agreement. Any terms and conditions would most likely be spelt out within the contract, to protect the 'hunters' from suing the victim, or vice versa. Most right wing morality ideologies are based on the principle that humans are rational beings, and they need to act so if they want to live. Being rational obviously involves gathering and weighing up facts and testing them against what you maybe believe, or are unsure about and you should make the value judgement at that point. Objectivists put their own lives as the highest value to themselves in their life, so it's really quite unlikely that a person of that particular code of ethics would sign away their lives like that.

However...in terms of interpreting individual rights, it's probably fair to say that it wouldn't be allowed on the grounds that no matter what you sign, you individual rights are upheld by the government, and only the individual is the one who can take their own rights away directly, not assign them to someone else.

From a business point of view, i really doubt this would take off. Businesses are subjected to the power of consumer choice, and i'm not exactly sure what faith you have in your fellow man, but I am confident in saying that the vast majority of people would be extremely against at the concept, and so the business plan would be unlikely to work, simply on a cost basis.

Not only this bust there are many hard jobs which would probably be more worthwhile to yourself than getting killed.

Finally, if anything, does this surely point to the concept that altruism is dangerous, in that people would put themselves forward to be killed for the sake of others. In the rest of society we regularaly have the products of our work stolen through taxes for the sake of others, the only difference here is that for once you are willingly allowing the will of others to be imposed upon you, and the act of altruism involves death.

Where is the altruism here?

In this story everyone is looking out for their own rational self interest as free rational agents. The employees want some income so they can feed their hungry children, the hunter wants a to experience the thrill of the hunt! And the business man puts the two together, sets up the rules and procedures.

Also... There are 7 billion people on this earth. It would only take a fraction of a percent of them to be sick enough in the head to want to do something like this to keep the company afloat.

It's called a niche market. They are very profitable especially when underdeveloped.

Yes markets are very profitable when underdeveloped, as long as there is a steady enough supply of the product and demand for it. And as long as they can cover their costs.

Another major thing I think you could perhaps consider, is that the people who are sick enough to want to do this are likely to be mentally ill, in which case, after undergoing psychological and physical tests, the person would proabably be proved to be mentally ill, preventing them from making entirely rational judgments, therefore meaning that normal people would be the ones not making the decision to come and do it. Whether this is legal in itself maybe also be debatable.

Staenwald
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Staenwald » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:46 am

The Parkus Empire wrote:
Staenwald wrote:Having racism inclinations whilst being a libertarian is possible. However individual right applied, the rights of everyone are equal. no one race legally has more rights than another. Individuals cannot force or harm others of another race. However, this doesnt mean people can't decide how to use their property. They could be racist and refuse to sell things or come into the contact with another race, but in this instance they are more governed by their own appearance to everyone else in society.Being racist doesnt help you if you want to make money, since you want to appeal to the broadest audience possible.

Are you in favor of current corporate use of child labor as "justified" but against white children being utilized for child labor and sweatshops?

In my opinion no child should have to work, but sometimes in dire situation it may become necessary.

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:50 am

Staenwald wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:

In my opinion no child should have to work, but sometimes in dire situation it may become necessary.

So yes?
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist

Natapoc
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Natapoc » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:14 am

Staenwald wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:

Specifically what sorts of dire situations?
Did you see a ghost?

Gun Manufacturers
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 23, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Gun Manufacturers » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:13 am

Natapoc wrote:The following is not intended to mock any particular belief system, it's intended to analyse the limitations (if any) of contracts in a theoretical society.

Would the following business model be acceptable in the future libertarian, objectivist, or "anarcho"-capitalist society:

Imagine a business which allowed sportsmen to hunt people who have agreed to have the job of being "the hunted"

The hunter is given hunting rifle with 1 bullet, a horse, and a pack of bloodhounds.

5 employees of the ranch have signed papers agreeing to be "the hunted", they are to be dropped off naked in the middle of the property which is 40 miles in diameter, unable to escape with a 4 hour head start on the hunter who paid for this opportunity.

Included in employment contract signed by the employee is the usual legal disclaimer about waving all rights to sue the ranch or the sportsman for loss of life or limb or physical or mental impairment or any other damages that may result from the job they are about to preform.

The employees were told after their interview that 1 of them will die (assuming the hunt is successful, which, like most canned hunts, it nearly always is) and the rest will be paid but of course they focus on the salary that the 4 survivors will get.

For the sportsmen the game is to outsmart the employees and bag one of them, If he manages to kill an employee he may do whatever he likes with the body including collect trophies but he must use one bullet to make his kill.

Okay now questions: Is this an acceptable type of business? If not why not?
Is it okay for an employee to sign away basic rights to the employer like this as a condition of employment?

Would it make a difference if the sportsman was given a machine gun and helicopter and had a 100% chance of killing all of the 5 employees instead of 1?

Would your opinion change if the hunter was not allowed to take trophies?

If the employment chance had been advertised as "ranch hand" or "Adrenalin junkies wanted!" in the paper and the part about agreeing to be selected for this game was in the "fine print" of the employment contract would it make a difference? If so why?

This question is to see if it's the actual words on the contract that matter or what was emphasized that matters.

Lets say one of the employees has second thoughts and no longer wants to be hunted but it's after the game already started. Is it still okay to hunt him because he signed the contract?

Now to turn the tables, one of the hunted humans hides in a tree with a large sharpened stick and as the hunter nears hurls the stick into the neck of the hunter killing the hunter.

The employee claims self defense. Is this a valid claim by the employee?

What, if any, damages is the employee liable for?

Would it make a difference if the employees where children? If so why and what ages?

Would it make a difference if they were indentured servants?

This post is inspired by this article http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/story?id=4659641&page=1

There's no way your idea would be legal. Now, if you switch out the hunting gear with paintball gear (clothes should be considered paintball gear, because a hit on bare skin sucks), significantly reduce the size of the area, and make sure everyone knows the rules, then you might have something.
Gun control is like trying to solve drunk driving by making it harder for sober people to own cars.

Any accident you can walk away from is one I can laugh at.

DOJ's interpretation of the 2nd Amendment: http://www.justice.gov/sites/default/fi ... -p0126.pdf

Natapoc wrote:...You should post more in here so I don't seem like the extremist...

Auraelius wrote:If you take the the TITANIC, and remove the letters T, T, and one of the I's, and add the letters C,O,S,P,R, and Y you get CONSPIRACY. oOooOooooOOOooooOOOOOOoooooooo

Maineiacs wrote:Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll sit in a boat and get drunk all day.

Luw wrote:Politics is like having two handfuls of shit - one that smells bad and one that looks bad - and having to decide which one to put in your mouth.

Sibirsky
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 22, 2009
Anarchy

Postby Sibirsky » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:15 am

Lackadaisical2 wrote:
Ceannairceach wrote:No, but I imagine its good with a side of spuds...

I think such a thing is against my personal ethics, but in such a society as a right-libertarian one, I suppose It'd be legal.

I really hope I have a chance to taste it sometime.

I hear it's not good. Or healthy.
Free market capitalism, path to prosperity
Свободный рынок капитализма, путь к процветанию
IBC 7 Finalists
8 Gold, 9 Silver, 2 Bronze medals IV Summer Olympics
2 Silver, 4 Bronze medals V Winter Olympics
Golfinator Classic Champion
Scott Cup I Champions
World Bowl 11 4th Place

Norstal
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 07, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:24 am

Lackadaisical2 wrote:
Zeth Rekia wrote:
Obviously the whole thing. But specifically, this cropped portion.

I'm not sure I get it, maybe thats the only way they're able to hire workers and get hunters as well?

It would imply coercion. No one in their right mind would sign up for this kind of thing. Yes I know its a very flimsy argument.
Toronto Sun wrote:Best poster ever. ★★★★★

New York Times wrote:No one can beat him in debates. 5/5.

IGN wrote:Literally the best game I've ever played. 10/10

NSG Public wrote:What a fucking douchebag.

Supreme Chairman for Life of the Itty Bitty Kitty Committee

Sibirsky
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 22, 2009
Anarchy

Postby Sibirsky » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:25 am

Natapoc wrote:What lengths must the company go to to make the prospective employee aware of the potentially lethal aspects of the job? Is simply putting it on page 27 of a 50 page contract in small writing sufficient?

How about basing it on expectations of that particular portion of the contract being read? Page 27 of 50 is not likely to be read. In a potentially life terminating contract, that is not sufficient.

Or would they need to come out and say it directly?
Pretty much. Page one in 24 font print.

Also would this be an ethical or a legal requirement?
Both

I also believe in the ability to opt out at any time. To suggest otherwise would be to legitimize a type of slavery.
Put it in the contract.

My viewpoint is that it's always okay to defend oneself even using lethal violence if needed. As such I would disagree that the person committed murder by killing the hunter with the sharpened stick.

Put that in contract. Although I suspect demand would drop, with risk of death to the hunters.
Free market capitalism, path to prosperity
Свободный рынок капитализма, путь к процветанию
IBC 7 Finalists
8 Gold, 9 Silver, 2 Bronze medals IV Summer Olympics
2 Silver, 4 Bronze medals V Winter Olympics
Golfinator Classic Champion
Scott Cup I Champions
World Bowl 11 4th Place

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:50 am

In an anarcho-capitalist society? Sure, why not?
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

Hydesland
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 28, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Hydesland » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:04 pm

The Parkus Empire wrote:First off, there are openly racist libertarians. Quite prominent on Stormfront and such. Secondly, the kind of racism I'm talking about is the kind the libertarian himself is typically not aware. Not to say unconscious racism is limited to libertarians: it's in everyone is in somewhat. But libertarians often let it dictate their ethics and policy, though not knowingly.

A racist doesn't want to have his 'freedom' to be a dick to other races obstructed, so naturally he will be drawn to libertarianism, which is a philosophy all about telling the government to fuck off and let him do what he wants. On the other hand, he may be drawn to the opposite of such, and instead use the government to curtail the freedoms of certain races.

Mongolian Khanate
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 05, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mongolian Khanate » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:16 pm

Ohhhh :bow:

I know what to watch now
When ever you get balls deep into the study of philosophy, you get really anal about definitions.
Trotskylvania

Vetalia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 23, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Vetalia » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:21 pm

Absolutely not. This is so utterly immoral in any context I would never condone it. Maybe my morals aren't based entirely on facts or logic like so many people seem to desire, but looking at it from the outside I'd never want to be in a situation where someone was free to hunt down and kill me for their own sick enjoyment. Sometimes, you've got to lay down an axiom...killing people is wrong unless in self defense.

That being said, the "hunting" in this article is perfectly acceptable. I would enjoy taking part myself.
Last edited by Vetalia on Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Economic Left/Right: 0.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.05

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General