NATION

PASSWORD

Le thème de la langue française

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Costa Fiero
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fiero » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:06 pm

Buffett and Colbert wrote:Where's the best place to start if you want to learn French, out of curiosity?

With the basics, as with any other language. Like how to say "hello", "my name is"and "how are you?" If your friend can get you started on those and you actually hear the pronounciation of the words, as opposed to seeing them in a textbook, you'll be off to a good start.

Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 05, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:10 pm

Costa Fiero wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:Where's the best place to start if you want to learn French, out of curiosity?

With the basics, as with any other language. Like how to say "hello", "my name is"and "how are you?" If your friend can get you started on those and you actually hear the pronounciation of the words, as opposed to seeing them in a textbook, you'll be off to a good start.

I'll take note of that.
If the knowledge isn't useful, you haven't found the lesson yet. ~Iniika
You-Gi-Owe wrote:If someone were to ask me about your online persona as a standard of your "date-ability", I'd rate you as "worth investigating further & passionate about beliefs". But, enough of the idle speculation on why you didn't score with the opposite gender.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:Clever, but your Jedi mind tricks don't work on me.

His Jedi mind tricks are insignificant compared to the power of Buffy's sex appeal.
Keronians wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:My law class took my virginity. And it was 100% consensual.

I accuse your precious law class of statutory rape.

Gagatron
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Gagatron » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:12 pm

Buffett and Colbert wrote:
Gagatron wrote:
A nice textbook.

I don't have access to a textbook. I meant what part of the language should I start learning?

Grammar. You need to understand gender, verbs, and clauses etc so you can learn how to take an idea an put it in French. Learning words is nice, but grammar is the primary step to actually being able to speak.

As for which words you need to know, it depends upon how you want to use French. Some words are good for a traveller or shopper, other words are necessary for someone looking for a job. Best advice? Learn everything you can.
God, I want to dream again,
Take me where I've never been.
I wanna go there,
This time I'm not scared.
Music, love, peace, joy, history, religion, foreign cultures, foreign language, philosophy, debating, etc.

Zilam wrote:It always strikes me funny when people always complain "If God is good, why does he allow evil to exist"....Yet when God destroys every evil person in a flood, its a bad thing.

All sin is deserving of death.

Gagatron
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Gagatron » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:14 pm

Costa Fiero wrote:

I'll take note of that.

What resources do you have for learning French?
God, I want to dream again,
Take me where I've never been.
I wanna go there,
This time I'm not scared.
Music, love, peace, joy, history, religion, foreign cultures, foreign language, philosophy, debating, etc.

Zilam wrote:It always strikes me funny when people always complain "If God is good, why does he allow evil to exist"....Yet when God destroys every evil person in a flood, its a bad thing.

All sin is deserving of death.

Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:24 pm

Gagatron wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:I'll take note of that.

What resources do you have for learning French?

Friends that know French. I plan to switch from Italian I to French I next year if I can be guaranteed to take it with a certain teacher.
Last edited by Buffett and Colbert on Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You-Gi-Owe wrote:If someone were to ask me about your online persona as a standard of your "date-ability", I'd rate you as "worth investigating further & passionate about beliefs". But, enough of the idle speculation on why you didn't score with the opposite gender.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

His Jedi mind tricks are insignificant compared to the power of Buffy's sex appeal.
Keronians wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:My law class took my virginity. And it was 100% consensual.

Jbeil
Minister

Founded: May 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Jbeil » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:32 pm

Gagatron wrote:
A nice textbook.

I don't have access to a textbook. I meant what part of the language should I start learning?

Verbs, conjugation, grammar and vocabulary.

You need to learn a bit of all of these if you want to succeed, if you learn just one, you'll have a hard time learning the others.

Also, I speak Arabic (A friend of mine is from the Maghreb), although I am moderate at writing, with a HORRIBLE handwriting, although I can read it perfectly.
La République Jbeili
Liberté,Égalité,Prospérité

Demonym:Jbeili.
DEFCON: 1; 2; 3; 4; [5]
I RP with a population of 4,000,000,000.
In a Union with the Principality of Menaton and the Theocracy of -Albi.
Establish an embassy:http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=102284
Join the Jbeili Francophonie:http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=99496
Join the Jbeili Foreign Legion:http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=71952

Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:33 pm

Gagatron wrote: Best advice? Learn everything you can.

Ok...

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

Keronians wrote:

Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:36 pm

Jbeil wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:I don't have access to a textbook. I meant what part of the language should I start learning?

Verbs, conjugation, grammar and vocabulary.

You need to learn a bit of all of these if you want to succeed, if you learn just one, you'll have a hard time learning the others.

Well, duh. :lol:
Jbeil wrote:Also, I speak Arabic (A friend of mine is from the Maghreb), although I am moderate at writing, with a HORRIBLE handwriting, although I can read it perfectly.

Was it hard to learn? Currently, I know the alphabet/pronunciation and can "write" it (which means I could theoretically form words). I have practically no vocabulary, though, so I just content myself with writing people's names and phonetically translating stuff.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

Keronians wrote:

The Truth and Light
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Truth and Light » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:37 pm

Gagatron wrote: Best advice? Learn everything you can.

Ok...

He's right. No use learning a language without actually LEARNING it. I made a pact that I will not waste my time on a language that I cannot become proficient or advanced in. I want to debate about politics and philosophy eloquently. Lofty, I know.

Jbeil
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Jbeil » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:42 pm

Jbeil wrote:Verbs, conjugation, grammar and vocabulary.

Well, duh. :lol:
Jbeil wrote:Also, I speak Arabic (A friend of mine is from the Maghreb), although I am moderate at writing, with a HORRIBLE handwriting, although I can read it perfectly.

Was it hard to learn? Currently, I know the alphabet/pronunciation and can "write" it (which means I could theoretically form words). I have practically no vocabulary, though, so I just content myself with writing people's names and phonetically translating stuff.

Well, honestly...It was EXTREMELY hard, if the Algerians (which was the ethnicity of my friend, and the current accent I speak Arabic in) didn't use so many French words, I'm sure I wouldn't have learned it...
Although, I also learned the Lebanese dialect while in Lebanon, again, thanks to their French use and ability to translate words I didn't understand.

So...If you have a whatever nationality you are(?)-Arabic friend, he'd be the best suited to teach you.
La République Jbeili

Join the Jbeili Francophonie:http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=99496
Join the Jbeili Foreign Legion:http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=71952

Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:47 pm

Jbeil wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:Well, duh. :lol:

Well, honestly...It was EXTREMELY hard, if the Algerians (which was the ethnicity of my friend, and the current accent I speak Arabic in) didn't use so many French words, I'm sure I wouldn't have learned it...
Although, I also learned the Lebanese dialect while in Lebanon, again, thanks to their French use and ability to translate words I didn't understand.

So...If you have a whatever nationality you are(?)-Arabic friend, he'd be the best suited to teach you.

I'm currently learning from Palestinians and Jordanians.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

Keronians wrote:

Jbeil
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Jbeil » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:50 pm

Jbeil wrote:Well, honestly...It was EXTREMELY hard, if the Algerians (which was the ethnicity of my friend, and the current accent I speak Arabic in) didn't use so many French words, I'm sure I wouldn't have learned it...

I'm currently learning from Palestinians and Jordanians.

Yes, that would be great.

I assume they speak English(that is your native tongue, right?)?

If so, then that could help you enormously, better than any book can.
La République Jbeili

Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:01 pm

Jbeil wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:I'm currently learning from Palestinians and Jordanians.

Yes, that would be great.

I assume they speak English(that is your native tongue, right?)?

If so, then that could help you enormously, better than any book can.

Yeah, they speak English and Spanish fluently. It'd be hard to communicate otherwise. :lol2:

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

Keronians wrote:

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:11 pm

-dp-
Last edited by Nanatsu no Tsuki on Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:12 pm

Gagatron wrote:
Coccygia wrote:The Celtic tongues didn't have much influence on Anglo-Saxon, did they? As far as I know Celtic borrowings - when they aren't through French or Latin - are mostly place-names (at least in AS times). Are there any Celtic words in Anglo-Saxon? (Any that didn't come through Latin?)

No, they didn't. Assuming Nanatsu's other posts are correct, Latin would have trumped the influence of the Celtic languages.

HIghly contradictory themes going on in her arguments.

Not really. Celtic languages had an influence in English, I never said they didn't nor that Latin trumped anything. The one saying this is you. However, so did Latin since the Celts of the British Isles adopted many words from their contact with the Romans.

http://www.orbilat.com/Influences_of_Ro ... glish.html

But this argument is circular and I'm uninterested in giving you lessons on your own language. Are we going to use French or are you going to continue hijacking your own thread?
Slava Ukraini
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:14 pm

The Truth and Light wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Ne t'inquietez pas. Tu vais l'apprendrez en temps voulu. Et si elle vous confond, demander, demander et demander a nouveau de vos professeurs à l'expliquer.

Actuellement, je n'ai pas un professeur. J'etudie-moi le francais et le japonais. (I don't think I said that right)

I understood it. You do not have a tutor (I do recommend you get one in the near future) and that you study both French and Japanese on your own.
Slava Ukraini

The Truth and Light
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Truth and Light » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:17 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Actuellement, je n'ai pas un professeur. J'etudie-moi le francais et le japonais. (I don't think I said that right)

I understood it. You do not have a tutor (I do recommend you get one in the near future) and that you study both French and Japanese on your own.

Tu as raison. :)

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:21 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

La raison est simple. Si vous pouvez etudier les deux langues avec un natif ou un tuteur, vous pouvez apprendre beaucoup plus a la phonetique et les raccourcis a une meilleure communication. Je ne dis pas qui votre methode est mauvaise, mais vous pouvez lui renforcer avec un tuteur.
Slava Ukraini

The Truth and Light
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Truth and Light » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:23 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

La raison est simple. Si vous pouvez etudier les deux langues avec un natif ou un tuteur, vous pouvez apprendre beaucoup plus a la phonetique et les raccourcis a une meilleure communication. Je ne dis pas qui votre methode est mauvaise, mais vous pouvez lui renforcer avec un tuteur.

Sorry, "Tu as raison" means you are right. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Mais merci, c'est utile.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:24 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

Mais merci, c'est utile.

Pas de probleme. Je te comprends, tres bien. :)

I merely was explaining why I encouraged you to get a tutor if you can.
Slava Ukraini

The Truth and Light
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Truth and Light » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:27 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

Mais merci, c'est utile.

Even better, I hope to learn French in France itself.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:28 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

Full immersion is, as Mongolian said (I hope I'm saying part of his/her name right) the best thing to do.

Are you planning on going to La Sorbonne?
Slava Ukraini

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Katganistan » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:30 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

I should think that immersion would be the best way to learn it.

Auremena
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 04, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Auremena » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:33 pm

Katganistan wrote:
The Truth and Light wrote:Even better, I hope to learn French in France itself.
I should think that immersion would be the best way to learn it.
I did so in Belgium. Dad forced me to go to a local French school, and I could only say "bonjour" and "J'aime le gateau*
NS's aviation and train sabelotodo.
Post-left anarchist and sad about it.
Killdash, Firsthome, Coffee Cakes, SSC, GCoCS, Snowy, Val, Aeqy, and Replevion are my bitches.
Foot worshipper: Lutvikkia. Dakky's mom, I had her with Nana.
The female Jim Morrison; not as talented, but just as attractive and self destructive. The one true heir to the throne of the Lizard King.
Some poetry I write sometimes
Tearing the MBTA a new one since 2014. The MTA too since 2016. Cover the world in trains 2030
COYS!

The Truth and Light
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Truth and Light » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:33 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

Full immersion is, as Mongolian said (I hope I'm saying part of his/her name right) the best thing to do.

Are you planning on going to La Sorbonne?

C'est un universite en France? Je ne sais pas!

It sounds very prestigious. I think, if I attend a foreign university, I will consider one in Japan or China as well. But perhaps Harvard will suffice. :p

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General