NATION

PASSWORD

Congresswoman Gabby Giffords Shot in Head

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 11, 2004
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:29 pm

Mercator Terra wrote:
United Dependencies wrote:People are going to murder so why even bother passing laws against it right?

Or regulate were people can carry them (which is possible) instead of regulating the process of getting them because like I said if someone wants to murder someone with a gun their going to get a gun. Also if you regulate the ability to get a gun then you are possibly putting people in harms way being that they cannot defend against a intruder/robber/mugger/etc with a gun

The 'harms way' argument isn't likely to be your friend, here...
I identify as
a problem

Norstal
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 07, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:30 pm

Mercator Terra wrote:
United Dependencies wrote:How do regulations on dangerous person's buying guns keep people who just want to protect themselves from buying guns?

Who decides on if someone is dangerous? How do you decide that?

A felony on their rap-sheet? This is just one example.
Toronto Sun wrote:Best poster ever. ★★★★★

New York Times wrote:No one can beat him in debates. 5/5.

IGN wrote:Literally the best game I've ever played. 10/10

NSG Public wrote:What a fucking douchebag.

Supreme Chairman for Life of the Itty Bitty Kitty Committee

United Dependencies
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 22, 2007
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby United Dependencies » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:31 pm

Mercator Terra wrote:
United Dependencies wrote:How do regulations on dangerous person's buying guns keep people who just want to protect themselves from buying guns?

Who decides on if someone is dangerous? How do you decide that?

Backround checks, classes on gun ownership and proper care of guns as well as all the laws that deal with when and where guns can be used. Maybe even a statement from a doctor or some such thing saying that this person is stable enough to recognize when the right time to use a gun is and when it is not the right time.
Alien Space Bats wrote:2012: The Year We Lost Contact (with Reality).

Cannot think of a name wrote:
Obamacult wrote:Maybe there is an economically sound and rational reason why there are no longer high paying jobs for qualified accountants, assembly line workers, glass blowers, blacksmiths, tanners, etc.

Maybe dragons took their jobs. Maybe unicorns only hid their jobs because unicorns are dicks. Maybe 'jobs' is only an illusion created by a drug addled infant pachyderm. Fuck dude, if we're in 'maybe' land, don't hold back.

This is Nationstates we're here to help

Are you a native or resident of North Carolina?

Mercator Terra
Minister

Founded: Nov 14, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mercator Terra » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:33 pm

United Dependencies wrote:
Mercator Terra wrote:Who decides on if someone is dangerous? How do you decide that?

Backround checks, classes on gun ownership and proper care of guns as well as all the laws that deal with when and where guns can be used. Maybe even a statement from a doctor or some such thing saying that this person is stable enough to recognize when the right time to use a gun is and when it is not the right time.

What do you mean by background check? Im arguing what is in bold. And what is underlined will only be subjective preferences.
EDIT: I dont think you need a doctor to do the educating. A gun safety expert can educate them on when and where using a gun is applicable.
Last edited by Mercator Terra on Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Vecherd wrote:
Linperia wrote:how can a market be free if we got participants with very few money and with a lot.
but maybe a equal market would lead to a free society.

A society that puts equality ahead of freedom will end up with neither.

Amoral Stirnerite Individualist Market Anarchist

“Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man.” Friedrich Nietzsche
“Whoever will be free must make himself free. Freedom is no fairy gift to fall into a man's lap. What is freedom? To have the will to be responsible for one's self.”-Max Stirner

Mercator Terra
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Mercator Terra » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:34 pm

Norstal wrote:
Mercator Terra wrote:Who decides on if someone is dangerous? How do you decide that?

A felony on their rap-sheet? This is just one example.

What kind of felony?
Vecherd wrote:
Linperia wrote:how can a market be free if we got participants with very few money and with a lot.

“Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man.” Friedrich Nietzsche
“Whoever will be free must make himself free. Freedom is no fairy gift to fall into a man's lap. What is freedom? To have the will to be responsible for one's self.”-Max Stirner

New Kereptica
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 14, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby New Kereptica » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:34 pm

Mercator Terra wrote:What kind of felony?

Felonious felonies.
Blouman Empire wrote:Natural is not nature.

KiloMikeAlpha wrote:Umm hmm.... mind if I siggy that as a reminder to those who think that it is cool to shove their bat-shit crazy atheist beliefs on those of us who actually have a clue?

Teccor wrote:You're actually arguing with Kereptica? It's like arguing with a far-Left, militantly atheist brick wall.

Bluth Corporation wrote:No. A free market literally has zero bubbles.

JJ Place wrote:I have a few more pressing matters to attend to right now; I'll be back later this evening to continue my one-man against the world struggle.

Mercator Terra wrote: Mental illness is a myth.

United Dependencies
Postmaster-General

Postby United Dependencies » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:36 pm

Mercator Terra wrote:
United Dependencies wrote:Backround checks, classes on gun ownership and proper care of guns as well as all the laws that deal with when and where guns can be used. Maybe even a statement from a doctor or some such thing saying that this person is stable enough to recognize when the right time to use a gun is and when it is not the right time.

What do you mean by background check? Im arguing what is in bold. And what is underlined will only be subjective preferences.

As in a check to see if this person has committed any crimes or is wanted for something.

As for the classes I'm not really sure what you are arguing.

How so?

Obamacult wrote:Maybe there is an economically sound and rational reason why there are no longer high paying jobs for qualified accountants, assembly line workers, glass blowers, blacksmiths, tanners, etc.

Maybe dragons took their jobs. Maybe unicorns only hid their jobs because unicorns are dicks. Maybe 'jobs' is only an illusion created by a drug addled infant pachyderm. Fuck dude, if we're in 'maybe' land, don't hold back.

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:38 pm

Mercator Terra wrote:What do you mean by background check? Im arguing what is in bold. And what is underlined will only be subjective preferences.

As in a check to see if this person has committed any crimes or is wanted for something.

How so?

They already do back ground checks.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Norstal
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:39 pm

Mercator Terra wrote:
Norstal wrote:A felony on their rap-sheet? This is just one example.

What kind of felony?

All of them? I'm not one who's comfortable to have felons with a prior history to have guns.

Mercator Terra
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Mercator Terra » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:41 pm

Mercator Terra wrote:What do you mean by background check? Im arguing what is in bold. And what is underlined will only be subjective preferences.

How so?

What kind of crimes?

Classes can be held publicly or privately by gun experts im for that.

How do you decide what is a mental illness? Mental illness is a myth.its judged by what is precieved to be good for society.There is really only differnet psychological profiles and states. Some which most people find more to their liking then others.Thats why homosexuality was at one time treated as a psychiatric issue. (This is based off of what i have read and personal accounts of friends) If their was a way to objectively identify who is what kind of "crazy" I would agree with you.
Last edited by Mercator Terra on Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vecherd wrote:

Mercator Terra
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Mercator Terra » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:42 pm

Norstal wrote:
Mercator Terra wrote:What kind of felony?

All of them? I'm not one who's comfortable to have felons with a prior history to have guns.

You already cant acquire a gun with a felony.
Vecherd wrote:

United Dependencies
Postmaster-General

Postby United Dependencies » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:43 pm

greed and death wrote:
United Dependencies wrote:As in a check to see if this person has committed any crimes or is wanted for something.

How so?

They already do back ground checks.

I know, I'm just trying to be clean with Mecator Terra about what I stand for.

United Dependencies
Postmaster-General

Postby United Dependencies » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:45 pm

Mercator Terra wrote:
United Dependencies wrote:As in a check to see if this person has committed any crimes or is wanted for something.

How so?

What kind of crimes?

How do you decide what is a mental illness? Mental illness is a myth.its judged by what is precieved to be good for society.There is really only differnet psychological profiles and states. Some which most people find more to their liking then others.Thats why homosexuality was at one time treated as a psychiatric issue. (This is based off of what i have read and personal accounts of friends) If their was a way to objectively identify who is what kind of "crazy" I would agree with you.

Felonies mostly.

Yes they can be. And anyone who wishes to own a gun should have to attend one.

I believe that psychologist will define what is a mental illness.

Mercator Terra
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Mercator Terra » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:51 pm

Mercator Terra wrote:What kind of crimes?

Felonies mostly.

Yes they can be. And anyone who wishes to own a gun should have to attend one.

I believe that psychologist will define what is a mental illness.

You cant acquire a gun in the United States with a felony.

I would say have to but it should be highly suggested. If you want to own certain guns though (automatics for example) you should have to go to a course. I believe this should all be done at the most local level possible btw.

And (insert what I said in last post about this subject here)
Vecherd wrote:

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:53 pm

Mercator Terra wrote:How do you decide what is a mental illness?

I don't, I'm not qualified.
Mercator Terra wrote:Mental illness is a myth.

No, actually it isn't.
Mercator Terra wrote:Its judged by what is percieved to be good for society.

Again, no it is not. All you're doing is displaying your ignorance of psychology.
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent...
Freedom from religion is an integral part of Freedom of religion
Married to Koshka
USMC veteran MOS 0331/8152
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Ifreann: Odds are you're secretly a zebra with a very special keyboard.
Ostro: I think women need to be trained
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Occupied Deutschland
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Occupied Deutschland » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:54 pm

Dyakovo wrote:

No, actually it isn't.

Again, no it is not. All you're doing is displaying your ignorance of psychology.

To be fair, psychology is a myth! isn't based entirely in empirical evidence and science.
I'm General Patton.
Even those who are gone are with us as we go on.

Been busy lately--not around much.

Mercator Terra
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Mercator Terra » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:55 pm

Dyakovo wrote:

No, actually it isn't.

If your not qualified then how can you answer to this. At least I am on some level. There are different schools of though in psychology and your source only is one of them. There is no objective answer.
Vecherd wrote:

Altimaea
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 26, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Altimaea » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:56 pm

First off, banning arms from public property won't do shit. If someone has intention to shoot someone they are gonna bring it anyways. Second, I'm what ignorant liberals like to call, a "gun nut". However I think there could be improvements to the process of purchasing one. It should not be made more difficult, but smarter. I think a system similar school sports should be used. Just like you need a physical to participate in the sport, you would need a notorized mental health exam which must be presented to the dealer and approved. Said exam must be no older than 5 years. It would not have to be refreshed to keep your guns but must be re examinated if another firearm purchase is desired. Other than that I think the prohibition of bringing CCWs into places like restruants should be removed. My $.02
DEFCON
1 2 3 [4] 5
I am the Northern Guardian of Judea!
JUDEAZ OFFICIAL KEEPER OF TEH COOKIEZ
Castleclose wrote:
Hannait wrote:To: kettle@cookware.com
Re: blackness

Beauty is only pixels deep, while bad gameplay/design goes straight to the source code ~ Harlequin

Solm~"Ninja'd by Alty.™"
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king.
Map
Judea

Norstal
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:59 pm

Mercator Terra wrote:
Norstal wrote:All of them? I'm not one who's comfortable to have felons with a prior history to have guns.

You already cant acquire a gun with a felony.

And its harder for them to get a gun. Plus more expensive since the black market guns are more expensive.

Let's just try to apply your laws for a moment. Say we do allow just about anyone to have guns. This, of course, does not mean everyone has a gun in this gathering. It just means that its likely for more people to have guns. Then, there's a psychological pitfall:

1.) Some will think: Why the hell would I bring a gun to a public gathering?
2.) Others: This is a really good opportunity to bring a gun, maybe I can kill her since she doesn't have a security detail.

Loughner goes to this gathering, irregardless of the laws. The law allows guns to be sold, why not ballistic vests? It'd be illogical not to be able to sell ballistic vests.

So he did shoot some people. Since its a crowd, its hard to tell who's shooting. The only way to subdue the suspect is to take the gun away from him, not to shoot him. Keep in mind, this happens in a crowd; pulling out your own gun wouldn't be smart. No one would know who shot first, starting a domino effect.

Thus, why I can't see allowing guns to be sold freely would help prevent the number of casualty in this topic.

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:00 pm

Mercator Terra wrote:If your not qualified then how can you answer to this.

Not qualified to judge whether something is actually a mental illness means I am not a psychologist. I did, however, take every available psychology course while I was in college.
Mercator Terra wrote:At least I am on some level.

:rofl:
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent...
Freedom from religion is an integral part of Freedom of religion
Married to Koshka
USMC veteran MOS 0331/8152
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Ifreann: Odds are you're secretly a zebra with a very special keyboard.
Ostro: I think women need to be trained
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Mercator Terra
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Mercator Terra » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:00 pm

Norstal wrote:
Mercator Terra wrote:You already cant acquire a gun with a felony.

And its harder for them to get a gun. Plus more expensive since the black market guns are more expensive.

Let's just try to apply your laws for a moment. Say we do allow just about anyone to have guns. This, of course, does not mean everyone has a gun in this gathering. It just means that its likely for more people to have guns. Then, there's a psychological pitfall:

2.) Others: This is a really good opportunity to bring a gun, maybe I can kill her since she doesn't have a security detail.

Loughner goes to this gathering, irregardless of the laws. The law allows guns to be sold, why not ballistic vests? It'd be illogical not to be able to sell ballistic vests.

So he did shoot some people. Since its a crowd, its hard to tell who's shooting. The only way to subdue the suspect is to take the gun away from him, not to shoot him. Keep in mind, this happens in a crowd; pulling out your own gun wouldn't be smart. No one would know who shot first, starting a domino effect.

Thus, why I can't see allowing guns to be sold freely would help prevent the number of casualty in this topic.

Once again like I said im for banning weapons from public property (to a extent).
Vecherd wrote:

New Kereptica
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 14, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby New Kereptica » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:01 pm

Mercator Terra wrote:If your not qualified then how can you answer to this. At least I am on some level. There are different schools of though in psychology and your source only is one of them. There is no objective answer.

Of course there is an objective answer.
Blouman Empire wrote:Natural is not nature.

KiloMikeAlpha wrote:Umm hmm.... mind if I siggy that as a reminder to those who think that it is cool to shove their bat-shit crazy atheist beliefs on those of us who actually have a clue?

Teccor wrote:You're actually arguing with Kereptica? It's like arguing with a far-Left, militantly atheist brick wall.

Bluth Corporation wrote:No. A free market literally has zero bubbles.

JJ Place wrote:I have a few more pressing matters to attend to right now; I'll be back later this evening to continue my one-man against the world struggle.

Mercator Terra wrote: Mental illness is a myth.

Mediterreania
Senator

Founded: Apr 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mediterreania » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:03 pm

Norstal wrote:
Mercator Terra wrote:You already cant acquire a gun with a felony.

Selling ballistic vests actually makes a lot of sense in this context.

Also, the definition of liberal is pretty messed up in America if they're against gun rights.
Quick and dirty guide to factions in Mediterranea, and puppets to serve as examples:
-Free Assembly - decentralized group of local associations. Main faction.
-Workers' Republic - anarcho-syndicalist commune
-República Morsica (Betico)
-Republic of Lusca
-Catholic State (The Archbishop of Siraucsa)

Occupied Deutschland
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Occupied Deutschland » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:04 pm

New Kereptica wrote:
Mercator Terra wrote:If your not qualified then how can you answer to this. At least I am on some level. There are different schools of though in psychology and your source only is one of them. There is no objective answer.

Of course there is an objective answer.

That is a subjective statement. :p
I'm General Patton.
Even those who are gone are with us as we go on.

Been busy lately--not around much.

Norstal
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:04 pm

Mercator Terra wrote:Once again like I said im for banning weapons from public property (to a extent).

And how are you gonna check for that? Metal detectors in a Safeway store?
Last edited by Norstal on Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General