NATION

PASSWORD

Alternatives to Abortion

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:16 pm

-deleated-
Last edited by Great Nepal on Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Last edited by Great Nepal on Sun Nov 29, 1995 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:17 pm

Zilam wrote:
Sarkhaan wrote:It CAN be. If those women want the help and are able to get it, fantastic. Many women don't want the baby. Period. Full stop. End of story. No clinic is going to be able to offer the support for that. It also doesn't combat the issue of medical necessity.

Right, I understand your points and don't disagree with them. However, there are a lot of women who give up having their baby for reasons other than medical necessity, no desire for the baby, or something like rape and incest. So while we need to keep abortion a viable option for women in those cases, we also need to address the issue of women who give up their pregnancy based on fear or economic status. Most of these women would make good mothers, if they only knew that there would be people there to help them.
I don't know about most, but it is a good point regardless.
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent...
Freedom from religion is an integral part of Freedom of religion
Married to Koshka
USMC veteran MOS 0331/8152
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Ifreann: Odds are you're secretly a zebra with a very special keyboard.
Ostro: I think women need to be trained
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:19 pm

Jesus Strippers wrote:
Dyakovo wrote:There are approximately 565,000 children in foster care, of which 134,000 are awaiting adoption. [1]
Approximately 51,000 American children are adopted each year. [2]
The are approximately 1,370,000 abortions are performed each year. [3]

Considering these details, how exactly do you expect adoption to be a viable alternative to a woman having an abortion?

:palm: These details have nothing to do with the viability of adoption. The fact of the matter is, abortion kills.. Adoption doesn't.. Anyway, everyone that I know that is adopted is happy. Those that are aborted..... Not so much.

Yes, they do have something to do with the viability of adoption as an alternative to abortion. Please learn how to read.
Married to Koshka
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Norstal
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 07, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:19 pm

Great Nepal wrote:
Der Teutoniker wrote:
Yup. It's in the first line. Thanks, I've always been wary when people refer to fetuses as "parasites", but I've never really had a counter-argument not based on my own version of common sense (which is still and all not fact). Thanks for motivating me to look it up, and providing a vital clue, lol.

[url=http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Parasite]Or Perhaps not?
Parasite:- –noun
an organism that lives on or in an organism of another species, known as the host, from the body of which it obtains nutriment.[/url]

Arrrr, different species. Whatever. Its still not the same thing as fetuses are still the same species, only incapable of thought.
Toronto Sun wrote:Best poster ever. ★★★★★

New York Times wrote:No one can beat him in debates. 5/5.

IGN wrote:Literally the best game I've ever played. 10/10

NSG Public wrote:What a fucking douchebag.

Supreme Chairman for Life of the Itty Bitty Kitty Committee

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:20 pm

New Heliopolis wrote:
Sarkhaan wrote:Or not. I have a right to bodily integrity and to determine if, when, and how I will start my family.

Personally, I think the children's rights matter a great deal more here than the specifics of someone's desire to start a family.

Children's rights have nothing to do with abortion...
Married to Koshka

Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:21 pm

Norstal wrote:Arrrr, different species. Whatever. Its still not the same thing as fetuses are still the same species, only incapable of thought.

Fetus is a cell which depends on mother for its survival. It isn't a human untill it actually pops up in the outer world.

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:21 pm

New Heliopolis wrote:
Sarkhaan wrote:Which children?

Both the ones currently in foster homes and the ones in utero at the very least by the time they develop a brain stem.

There are no children in utero.
Married to Koshka

The Murtunian Tribes
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 17, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Murtunian Tribes » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:24 pm

Great Nepal wrote:
Norstal wrote:Arrrr, different species. Whatever. Its still not the same thing as fetuses are still the same species, only incapable of thought.

Fetus is a cell which depends on mother for its survival. It isn't a human untill it actually pops up in the outer world.

Later in prgnancy it is, in fact, a baby, capable of emotion and thought (baby intelligence, but not the point). You can't really say it's not human at that point.

Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:25 pm

The Murtunian Tribes wrote:
Great Nepal wrote:Fetus is a cell which depends on mother for its survival. It isn't a human untill it actually pops up in the outer world.

Later in prgnancy it is, in fact, a baby, capable of emotion and thought (baby intelligence, but not the point). You can't really say it's not human at that point.

Is it able to survive if the mother dies off?

Augarundus
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 22, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Augarundus » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:26 pm

Dyakovo wrote:There are approximately 565,000 children in foster care, of which 134,000 are awaiting adoption. [1]
Approximately 51,000 American children are adopted each year. [2]
The are approximately 1,370,000 abortions are performed each year. [3]

These numbers are painful; I expect their lives are a burden to society.

Henceforth, I propose a sociological project that mandates abortion under circumstances in which a child of sub-par socioeconomic status or gene quality is eliminated before birth. As for an immediate solution to the abundance of useless lives awaiting adoption (the vast majority of which will likely become crime-ridden scum), we could begin hanging them, but this seems to be an expensive undertaking. Of course, letting them loose in society would be too 'laissez-faire' (free will? Pshaw! They might have a chance to thrive then, and then imagine what would happen!)... gas, then?

I really detest these harsh measures, but preventive care just wasn't enough to take care of these undesirables. If we take the right steps now, we could cure the problem altogether... and move on to other, more controversial undesirables.

This is a bad argument. A REALLY bad argument against the anti-abortion movement.

That the children will have miserable lives... Using the same logic, we should begin the extermination of the poor, especially the third world, because it eliminates the problem of their suffering.
Libertarian Purity Test Score: 160
Capitalism is always the answer. Whenever there's a problem in capitalism, you just need some more capitalism. If the solution isn't capitalism, then it's not really a problem. If your capitalism gets damaged, you just need to throw some capitalism on it and get on with your life.

The Murtunian Tribes
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Murtunian Tribes » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:27 pm

Great Nepal wrote:

Is it able to survive if the mother dies off?

If it is cared for and removed from the womb. But a baby can't survive without someone taking care of it anyway, in the womb or not.

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:28 pm

DASHES wrote:In my humble opinion, alternatives to abortion include but are not limited to:

Abstinence (An ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure) 1

If abstinence doesn't work (sadly it often doesn't ) you have contraception. But that has a high failure rate too.2

So if contraception fails, give the baby to someone in the parents' family.3 Its better than murder.4

Handing the baby to the state is also better than murder, but since the foster care system is so crappy, there are better options, like taking care of what you created by taking care of the baby.5
After all, you had vaginal sex, when there were many other, no-pregnancy physical intimacy options that I will not mention here.6
This is not to be judgmental, but In a way, the people responsible were not patient or considerate of the spectrum of possible backfire, so taking care of the baby is of course a more sensible, if not difficult, option. This of course takes us back to square one, because if you could take care of the baby, you wouldn't even be considering an abortion.

Rape however, is an entirely different context but still the same problem. Orphanages seem decent, but the mother should be keen on find a good one, and coming back to the orphanage from time to time to see how the kid(s) is(are) doing.

Murder is never justifiable, even if the state permits it for people under age 9 Months. Do somethingother than abortion.
The only reason it is no longer a crime is because the world is slowly loosing its morality.

Just remember what I said, and if you like it, pass it on...

-From Caleb, Leader of DASHES

1: Abstinence doesn't work as there isn't always a choice in the matter.
2: And thus is not a viable option.
3: And if no-one in the woman's family wants the baby?
4: Abortion is not murder.
5: What if you have no desire to have the child and/or lack the ability to care for it properly?
6: Consent to sex does not equal consent to pregnancy
Married to Koshka

Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:29 pm

Great Nepal wrote:Is it able to survive if the mother dies off?

If it is cared for and removed from the womb. But a baby can't survive without someone taking care of it anyway, in the womb or not.

A baby can survive if it is cared for if it is out of mother's body, even if mother dies.
A fetus cant survive if mother dies no matter what. (not as far as I understand)

Lancaster of Wessex
Senator

Founded: Feb 21, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby Lancaster of Wessex » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:30 pm

Dyakovo wrote:4: Abortion is not murder.

Millions, if not billions of people disagree with you.

And millions more will agree with you also.

You can't say you're right; and they can't say they're right either.

You'll have to agree to disagree.
Lancaster.
Duke of the Most Ancient and Noble House of Lancaster of Wessex

The Most High, Potent, and Noble Prince, Lancaster, By the Grace of God, Duke of Wessex, Protector of the Enclaved Pious Estates of The Church of Wessex, Lord of Saint Aldhelm Islands, Prince and Great Steward of Celtic Wessex, Keeper of the Great Seal of the Duchy and House of Lancaster of Wessex, Sovereign of the Most Ancient and Illustrious Order of the Gold Gryphon, etc.

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:30 pm

FallaDishwalla wrote:This seems to be one of those useless forum topics.

By useless I mean:
(a) If you disagree with the person who started the thread, you're going to get ridiculed and abused (which also gets returned by those who were first ridiculed). Who would want to disagree?
(b) If you agree with the person who started the thread, you're basically just preaching to the choir (and giving each other butt-pats). What's the point of agreeing (except to fulfill your need for encouragement/self-esteem)?

Oh, how I long for forums that don't simply descend into name calling, misquoting and the spouting of one-liners.

It has sparked discussion and might actually bring out some viable ideas, so it isn't useless. If you aren't interested in contributing to the thread you could have saved yourself the effort of posting.
Married to Koshka

The Murtunian Tribes
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Murtunian Tribes » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:32 pm

Great Nepal wrote:

A baby can survive if it is cared for if it is out of mother's body, even if mother dies.
A fetus cant survive if mother dies no matter what. (not as far as I understand)

Well no. Not in the womb. What's you're point? But there is a point in pregnancy where the fetus can be taken out of the womb and it can survive.

Augarundus
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 22, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Augarundus » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:33 pm

Lancaster of Wessex wrote:
Dyakovo wrote:4: Abortion is not murder.

Might =/= Right.

Abortion is, logically, murder. The entire "proof" that abortion is morally justifiable is based off of the premise that a majority vote (i.e. sociological perceptions) change the reality of human life.
Libertarian Purity Test Score: 160
Capitalism is always the answer. Whenever there's a problem in capitalism, you just need some more capitalism. If the solution isn't capitalism, then it's not really a problem. If your capitalism gets damaged, you just need to throw some capitalism on it and get on with your life.

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:33 pm

Lancaster of Wessex wrote:I just don't like abortion for the wrong reasons.

I'm going to ignore the rest of this primarily because I have no issue with it...
What, exactly, are the "wrong reasons" for having an abortion?
Married to Koshka

Zilam
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 18, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Zilam » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:34 pm

Dyakovo wrote:Except it is ignoring the fact that abortions are sometimes necessary to save the life of the pregnant woman...

No, I recognize that and have addressed it already. However, lets be honest shall we? 6% of abortions are done for medical reasons and 1% are due to violent sexual cases. These are the two most common reasons people think abortion should stay legal and be funded properly and all that. The rest of the reasons deal largely with two other reasons:

the woman feels they don't have the resources to provide for a child
OR
convenience for the woman.

(sources found in at the bottom of here

So while 7% of abortions happen because of rape/incest or possibility of injury or death, 21% happen because the women feel they cannot afford to carry a baby. That is why I posted what I did about just one place that has been open for almost 20 years now, helping pregnant women carry their baby to birth, and providing them with the resources to meet the needs of that baby after it is born.

Around 44% decided to have one done out of convenience, whether its because they want to wait, they are in school, or they simply don't want to have any more children. To me, this is really irresponsible. Anytime you have sex, there is a chance for pregnancy. When you have sex, you need to realize that. That is why condoms, spermicide and birth control are out on the market. I realize that some people are prevented from getting access to these. We know that needs to change. But I really hate that people cannot accept responsibility for their actions, and take the easy way out of something they have done. Part of being an adult is taking responsibility for something that one has done.
I'm not who I was.

The Murtunian Tribes
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Murtunian Tribes » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:36 pm

Augarundus wrote:

Might =/= Right.

Abortion is, logically, murder. The entire "proof" that abortion is morally justifiable is based off of the premise that a majority vote (i.e. sociological perceptions) change the reality of human life.

Agreed. Abortion is murder, and is wrong. But as I stated before, right and wrong do not equal legal or illegal. Government itself is wrong, but it is necessary.

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:37 pm

Great Nepal wrote:But a fetus is NOT a human, it is a parasite. It feeds on a host (mother), it breaths from host (mother), it lives on a host (mother) and gives back nothing. All of which characteristics of a parasite not a human.

Wrong. it is human. Also, it is more accurate to say it is parasitic in nature as parasites are generally a different species than their host.
Married to Koshka

Lancaster of Wessex
Senator

Founded: Feb 21, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby Lancaster of Wessex » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:37 pm

Dyakovo wrote:What, exactly, are the "wrong reasons" for having an abortion?

I can think of only one, at the moment: when zero protection/care/precaution was used by both male and female parties, knowing full well of what the consequence may be, i.e. the possibility of creating a life.

I don't smile upon irresponsibility too highly and to take away a potential life just because one didn't bother to stick a condom on their dick or take a birth control pill...that doesn't sit too well with me.

ADDENDUM: Having no money/recourse to support a child as well isn't the best reasoning either, same with the "they will live a horrible life because we are poor/destitute/uneducated" whatever. There are services available as others have noted, and these people, again as others have noted, could very well go on to lead productive happy lives.
Last edited by Lancaster of Wessex on Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lancaster.
Duke of the Most Ancient and Noble House of Lancaster of Wessex

The Most High, Potent, and Noble Prince, Lancaster, By the Grace of God, Duke of Wessex, Protector of the Enclaved Pious Estates of The Church of Wessex, Lord of Saint Aldhelm Islands, Prince and Great Steward of Celtic Wessex, Keeper of the Great Seal of the Duchy and House of Lancaster of Wessex, Sovereign of the Most Ancient and Illustrious Order of the Gold Gryphon, etc.

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:38 pm

Norstal wrote:
Great Nepal wrote:No one is putting price tag on human life.
But a fetus is NOT a human, it is a parasite. It feeds on a host (mother), it breaths from host (mother), it lives on a host (mother) and gives back nothing. All of which characteristics of a parasite not a human.

Well, for it to be called a parasite, it has to be a different organism.

Not really...
Parasite: An organism that lives in or on and takes its nourishment from another organism. A parasite cannot live independently.

Source
Married to Koshka

Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:39 pm

Zilam wrote: helping pregnant women carry their baby to birth, and providing them with the resources to meet the needs of that baby after it is born.

Why should taxpayer be forced to bear additional burden when abortion is a lot more cost effective?

Around 44% decided to have one done out of convenience, whether its because they want to wait, they are in school, or they simply don't want to have any more children. To me, this is really irresponsible. Anytime you have sex, there is a chance for pregnancy. When you have sex, you need to realize that. That is why condoms, spermicide and birth control are out on the market. I realize that some people are prevented from getting access to these. We know that needs to change. But I really hate that people cannot accept responsibility for their actions, and take the easy way out of something they have done. Part of being an adult is taking responsibility for something that one has done.

Anytime you go out to a ground for almost any game, you have a chance that you are going to be seriously injured. So say if that happens, should we say "take responsibility for your action" or should we take you to hospital?
Seriously, the fetus has no right to enslave a woman. If she doesn't want the baby, which at the moment is still part of her body, she should be able to terminate it. Her body her choice.

Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:40 pm

I don't smile upon irresponsibility too highly and to take away a potential life just because one didn't bother to stick a condom on their dick or take a birth control pill...that doesn't sit too well with me.

Each sperm is a potential life, each egg is a potential life.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General