NATION

PASSWORD

God this place has gone down hill

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Katganistan » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:22 pm

Embrihated Koalas wrote:I just think i's completely bogus to allow topics which are based on sex ( legal prostitution, gay rights, STD's etc etc.) and not have a topic ABOUT sex,
without the fundation there is nothing to grow on, in other words people can put up post and don't know what the fuck they're talking about

Then go to a forum where they allow the kinds of threads you want.

Yootwopia
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 22, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Yootwopia » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:25 pm

Katganistan wrote:
Embrihated Koalas wrote:I just think i's completely bogus to allow topics which are based on sex ( legal prostitution, gay rights, STD's etc etc.) and not have a topic ABOUT sex,
without the fundation there is nothing to grow on, in other words people can put up post and don't know what the fuck they're talking about

Then go to a forum where they allow the kinds of threads you want.

Is "away and go fuck yerself" really the best solution to the demands of what remains of the player base in NSG? Da Kidz are all away in F7 as it is...
Technically a Polanski.

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:25 pm

You just got to be more creative such as making a topic about sexual positions and how it relates to political preference.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Lunatic Goofballs
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Lunatic Goofballs » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:27 pm

Dumb Ideologies wrote:
Lunatic Goofballs wrote:
It seemed like a good idea at the time. :unsure:

You've been punished enough. The taco store is right at the top of that hill.

:shock:
Life's Short. Munch Tacos.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
Hunter S. Thompson

Saint Clair Island
Minister

Founded: Feb 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Saint Clair Island » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:28 pm

Oterro wrote:
Saint Clair Island wrote:No, that's not really it. Your belief that all interesting discussions have to involve the news is a good deal closer to the cause.

I don't believe that; you don't disagree, however, that news coverage of an event would increase its chances of being featured on NSG? And if we had a large and rather varied number of news topics, it would certainly aid discussion. I do agree with your earlier point though, that the quality of posts has alot to do with it.

More like "if there were topics in NSG that weren't all Serious Business News Politics Discussion Show 24/7, there might be more of a sense of an actual NSG 'community' here, keeping us from alienating new posters and causing old posters like myself to strongly consider quitting", really.

It's not just that, though. A number of the posters I can think of from the "golden days" of NSG are still around, more or less. But they seem to have entirely lost any sense of humour/sarcasm and all they do is rehash the same arguments over and over again. Perhaps I was mistaken in my earlier assessment of them, mind.
Signatures are for losers.

SD_Film Artists
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 10, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby SD_Film Artists » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:29 pm

I remember the thread about wearing glasses. 2006 I think..
Lurking NSG since 2005
Economic Left/Right: -2.62, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.67

When anybody preaches disunity, tries to pit one of us against each other through class warfare, race hatred, or religious intolerance, you know that person seeks to rob us of our freedom and destroy our very lives.

Nadkor
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 22, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Nadkor » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:30 pm

I remember when I first started on NSG I took it fairly seriously. Then I stopped taking it seriously and joking around, and there were plenty of other people doing the same, so it was good. Then I left for a bit, came back, and everybody was being deadly serious again. So I tried that for a bit, and got bored very quickly. That was probably about the last time I was involved in a srs bsns debate. Can't be fucked with them, they suck all enjoyment out of life. So do most of the posters here, to be fair.

Just taking the piss is vaguely amusing, but I tried that for a bit and was met with the internet equivalent of a bunch of blank faces, and far too many people taking even the most obviously joking comment deadly seriously.

I kind of now drift in and out of the forum, dealing mostly in facetious comments and swearing a fair bit.

Although I still enjoy telling people they're wrong.
Last edited by Nadkor on Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
economic left/right: -7.38, social libertarian/authoritarian: -7.59
thekidswhopoptodaywillrocktomorrow

I think we need more post-coital and less post-rock
Feels like the build-up takes forever but you never get me off

Vonners
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Vonners » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:31 pm

Saint Clair Island wrote:
Oterro wrote:
I don't believe that; you don't disagree, however, that news coverage of an event would increase its chances of being featured on NSG? And if we had a large and rather varied number of news topics, it would certainly aid discussion. I do agree with your earlier point though, that the quality of posts has alot to do with it.

More like "if there were topics in NSG that weren't all Serious Business News Politics Discussion Show 24/7, there might be more of a sense of an actual NSG 'community' here, keeping us from alienating new posters and causing old posters like myself to strongly consider quitting", really.

It's not just that, though. A number of the posters I can think of from the "golden days" of NSG are still around, more or less. But they seem to have entirely lost any sense of humour/sarcasm and all they do is rehash the same arguments over and over again. Perhaps I was mistaken in my earlier assessment of them, mind.

Every time I see a 'get a blog' post I cringe.
Beer - the other white meat

Yootwopia
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Yootwopia » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:32 pm

Vonners wrote:Every time I see a 'get a blog' post I cringe.

Same unless it's one of Wilgrove's topics (although at least you've got past your ex with the help of that Wicca stuff you can't stop going on about, eh?)
Technically a Polanski.

Vonners
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Vonners » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:32 pm

greed and death wrote:

You just got to be more creative such as making a topic about sexual positions and how it relates to political preference.

And if you can get cost benefit analysis in there...and mention 'The Austrian School' you could be onto a sure fire winner...

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Postby Katganistan » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:32 pm

Yootwopia wrote:
Katganistan wrote:Then go to a forum where they allow the kinds of threads you want.

Is "away and go fuck yerself" really the best solution to the demands of what remains of the player base in NSG? Da Kidz are all away in F7 as it is...

He's complaining that a site that's used in schools doesn't allow threads that are blatantly about "Yo, I'ma tell you about the girl/guy/goat I'm fucking." If you want to brag about your sexual liaisons, there are sites that allow it. Post that stuff there and post stuff that's PG-13 here. Simple.

Yootwopia
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Yootwopia » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:35 pm

Katganistan wrote:
Yootwopia wrote:Is "away and go fuck yerself" really the best solution to the demands of what remains of the player base in NSG? Da Kidz are all away in F7 as it is...

He's complaining that a site that's used in schools doesn't allow threads that are blatantly about "Yo, I'ma tell you about the girl/guy/goat I'm fucking." If you want to brag about your sexual liaisons, there are sites that allow it. Post that stuff there and post stuff that's PG-13 here. Simple.

I would take the Colonel Kurtz line as refs sex versus violence, and at least we might find out what people are actually like as people, rather than how indignant people are that we haven't kicked the taliban in the face and left Afghanistan yet etc. etc.
Technically a Polanski.

Nadkor
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nadkor » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:36 pm

Katganistan wrote:
Yootwopia wrote:Is "away and go fuck yerself" really the best solution to the demands of what remains of the player base in NSG? Da Kidz are all away in F7 as it is...

Could there be an argument for a forum that is clearly marked as one where the PG-13 rule is not applied strictly?

The excruciating tightening of the rules on that front is definitely one of the major issues with NSG now. That and the fact that anything that seems even a little bit social or fun gets punted off to Forum 7, and fuck going to Forum 7.

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:37 pm

Oterro wrote:

It is a general problem. When you have to make the same arguments again and again, it gets boring and frustrating.
How many times has TCT and Neo Art had to explain any given point of law they have clarified?

Though this is just part of life, people tend to hold the same views and eventually you end up always holding the same conversations over and over again with them.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Postby Katganistan » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:38 pm

...you do realize that the reason for Forum 7 were repeated requests for a largely (not completely) unmoderated forum for games and other social stuff, yes?

Vonners
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Vonners » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:39 pm

Nadkor wrote:
Katganistan wrote:He's complaining that a site that's used in schools doesn't allow threads that are blatantly about "Yo, I'ma tell you about the girl/guy/goat I'm fucking." If you want to brag about your sexual liaisons, there are sites that allow it. Post that stuff there and post stuff that's PG-13 here. Simple.

Could there be an argument for a forum that is clearly marked as one where the PG-13 rule is not applied strictly?

The excruciating tightening of the rules on that front is definitely one of the major issues with NSG now. That and the fact that anything that seems even a little bit social or fun gets punted off to Forum 7, and fuck going to Forum 7.

Hear Hear! Started as a Generalite and will die a Generalite...

Imperial isa
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 08, 2006
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Imperial isa » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:42 pm

Nadkor wrote:
Some mysterious organisation that came along and made things worse.

sound right don't think any one side the mods know what it stood for or any one know where they came from
Romeo Foxtrot, Shall we Dance...
We’re on an express elevator to hell – going down!

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:42 pm

Katganistan wrote:...you do realize that the reason for Forum 7 were repeated requests for a largely (not completely) unmoderated forum for games and other social stuff, yes?

Like most people giving them what they want is the worst thing you can do to them.
Barack Obama

Saint Clair Island
Minister

Founded: Feb 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Saint Clair Island » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:43 pm

Sometimes it's well-deserved. Probably not more than ... a third of the time or so though.

Katganistan wrote:...you do realize that the reason for Forum 7 were repeated requests for a largely (not completely) unmoderated forum for games and other social stuff, yes?

Forum 7 developed its own community. Which sucks. Which is rather different from that of NSG in most respects. Moving a thread from NSG to F7 has become like moving a thread from NS to II: not really appropriate based on subject matter, only on user request.

Loosening up moderation on NSG itself would be a good idea, too, but that would require you guys to change the rules which is unlikely to happen.
Signatures are for losers.

Nadkor
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nadkor » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:43 pm

I think, perhaps, the actual motivation behind the requests was somewhere that would be more akin to old-school NSG. Not the Nation States Institute For The Socially Inept.

I honestly think that splitting General into three has had a major part to play in its decline.

Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 05, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:44 pm

Conserative Morality wrote:After: Natapoc, I think, Panzerjager too, NN, Zeppy, admittedly, I don't know many more 'new' posters.

I get it, quality not quantity... *sniff*
If the knowledge isn't useful, you haven't found the lesson yet. ~Iniika
You-Gi-Owe wrote:If someone were to ask me about your online persona as a standard of your "date-ability", I'd rate you as "worth investigating further & passionate about beliefs". But, enough of the idle speculation on why you didn't score with the opposite gender.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:Clever, but your Jedi mind tricks don't work on me.

His Jedi mind tricks are insignificant compared to the power of Buffy's sex appeal.
Keronians wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:My law class took my virginity. And it was 100% consensual.

I accuse your precious law class of statutory rape.

Yootwopia
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Yootwopia » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:45 pm

It's formed a culture, in the same way as Bacillus Anthracis...
Technically a Polanski.

Dumb Ideologies
Post Czar

Founded: Sep 30, 2007
Mother Knows Best State

Postby Dumb Ideologies » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:45 pm

Alright, I'm gonna comment seriously on this now.

There's a thread like this every six months or so. Part of it is nostalgia; the people you recognise stop posting, you fall out of the loop with in-jokes, don't feel so connected etc. But certainly, since towards the end period of the Jolt era I feel like standards have dropped dramatically.

We've lost a lot of good posters. That's going to have an effect, and quality accumulated over years isn't going to be compensated for quickly. But it's more than that. I think it's a lot down to Forum 7. Not to say for a moment that it's a bad place or should be got rid of. But it's very much a separate community with relatively little overlap with NSG. In the past, we had social threads where we'd discuss non-political or non-'hard' news items. Now they pretty much get carted over to F7 without much question. So there's not much opportunity for generalites to hang out and get to know each other.

I remember in the past I was reasonably friendly with some posters on the right. It's because in the social threads we could talk about non-political things. You don't so much flame and troll people you feel that you know on some level. Along with the disappearance of the old 'core', this has created a situation where I feel the social element has gone, and it's effectively a dry debating club between people largely - like most of the population - incapable of quality debate. I fully admit I've got dragged into the mess of nothing but childish partisan bickering and that I've been part of the problem.

In reality, it's only habit that keeps me here, since the elements I used to enjoy are gone or severely diluted. A community takes a long time to build up, and I think if we want to re-establish it a lot of conscious work will have to come from all sides.
Are these "human rights" in the room with us right now?
★彡 Professional pessimist. Reactionary socialist and gamer liberationist. Coffee addict. Fun at parties 彡★
Freedom is when people agree with you, and the more people you can force to act like they agree the freer society is
You are the trolley problem's conductor. You could stop the train in time but you do not. Nobody knows you're part of the equation. You satisfy your bloodlust and get away with it every time

Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 05, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:46 pm

Nadkor wrote:The excruciating tightening of the rules on that front is definitely one of the major issues with NSG now. That and the fact that anything that seems even a little bit social or fun gets punted off to Forum 7, and fuck going to Forum 7.

That has merit. I hang around F7 too, but us Generalites are predominantly creatures of habit and wouldn't bother going to F7 to participate in threads like, for example, Dyakovo's sexiest poster thread. And it's no fun when no Generalites participate.
If the knowledge isn't useful, you haven't found the lesson yet. ~Iniika
You-Gi-Owe wrote:If someone were to ask me about your online persona as a standard of your "date-ability", I'd rate you as "worth investigating further & passionate about beliefs". But, enough of the idle speculation on why you didn't score with the opposite gender.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:Clever, but your Jedi mind tricks don't work on me.

His Jedi mind tricks are insignificant compared to the power of Buffy's sex appeal.
Keronians wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:My law class took my virginity. And it was 100% consensual.

I accuse your precious law class of statutory rape.

Vonners
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Vonners » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:47 pm

Sometimes it's well-deserved. Probably not more than ... a third of the time or so though.

Perhaps...but then let it live or die on its own merit...sometimes a deadish thread can have life with a bit of drift...

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General