NATION

PASSWORD

Wikileaks Mega Thread!

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Simon Cowell of the RR
Minister

Founded: May 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Simon Cowell of the RR » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:14 am

Nobel Hobos wrote:
The Corparation wrote:Fixed. I don't see how any cities or states enter into this matter. California is also not the liberal paradise some people think it is, it is often very very conservative.

Your "fixed" version is no more a reply to Andaluciae than Anagonia's was.

Who are these "extremely liberal left" Liberals who consider Bradley Manning a hero?

Hmmm...Jon Stewart? Anyone else on Comedy Central?
Clue me in. I have never heard of a zealotic far left.
Yes, I might be trolling. No, not like the guy who created the thread about towel heads.
I troll by making even the most outlandish opinions sound reasonable. The question is, am I doing that here?

Andaluciae
Negotiator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Andaluciae » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:16 am

Nobel Hobos wrote:
Andaluciae wrote:

First, you clearly don't know what a diplomatic cable is. A diplomatic cable is a communication between a governments embassy and itself, not between separate governments. While, yes, their contents do sometimes contain information pertaining to negotiations , more often than not, they actually contain assessments provided by expert embassy staff in regards to personnel or politics in the government they are stationed to communicate with.

As a result, governments have a vested interest in having the ability to receive candid evaluations and assessments from their diplomatic staff abroad. By necessity, diplomats must be diplomatic when dealing directly with the people they are charged with communicating with, but may provide more honest assessments to their home government knowing that their communications are held sacrosanct, and that unpleasant, but candid and honest assessments will not hurt their ability to communicate with their home governments. A man may say to his wife true things about his mother-in-law that he would not wish to say in front of her herself. Take a country led by a narcissistic dictator--like Turkmenistan under Saparmurat Niyazov. He was a corrupt and murderous kleptocrat who built golden statues of himself that would rotate so they were always facing the sun and wrote new holy books who did not tolerate dissent or criticism. Now, because of Turkmenistan's access to energy reserves, proximity to Afghanistan and being a member of the international community, it served to at least maintain some relations with that country, but interacting with Turkmenistan was clearly an activity that required the United States to tread lightly. Airing an honest assessment of someone like Niyazov will kill your relations with that government. As such, a reserved public face, with more honest communication between foggy bottom and the embassy served US interests, in interacting with Turkmenistan and Niyazov more effectively.

As for negotiations. There's a concept of the reserve price, which you keep secret. It's the highest cost--with the worst benefits to you--that you'll go for. Making your reserve price public is a guaranteed way to always get the other negotiator to push as far as he can, and for you to consistently get a worst case outcome. You must keep your reserve price secret, or you're on a life path to always being the sucker who settles.

Happy?

Very happy. "I just wanted to see if I could make you say 'Foggy Bottom' "

Oh, yes indeed! I lived in Foggy Bottom ;) I drank at a bar called "Froggy Bottom" and it was drunken and amazing. I worked at a think tank, which meant I had no real responsibilities, and I got to drink at work and have a 30 hour week for the price of a 40 hour week. Ah, I loved DC :)
FreeAgency wrote:Shellfish eating used to be restricted to dens of sin such as Red Lobster and Long John Silvers, but now days I cannot even take my children to a public restaurant anymore (even the supposedly "family friendly ones") without risking their having to watch some deranged individual flaunting his sin...

Sibirsky
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 22, 2009
Anarchy

Postby Sibirsky » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:18 am

Andaluciae wrote:
Oh, yes indeed! I lived in Foggy Bottom ;) I drank at a bar called "Froggy Bottom" and it was drunken and amazing. I worked at a think tank, which meant I had no real responsibilities, and I got to drink at work and have a 30 hour week for the price of a 40 hour week. Ah, I loved DC :)

Foggy Bottom is aight.
Free market capitalism, path to prosperity
Свободный рынок капитализма, путь к процветанию
IBC 7 Finalists
8 Gold, 9 Silver, 2 Bronze medals IV Summer Olympics
2 Silver, 4 Bronze medals V Winter Olympics
Golfinator Classic Champion
Scott Cup I Champions
World Bowl 11 4th Place

Miami Shores
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 19, 2008
Anarchy

Postby Miami Shores » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:55 am

While I have not been following the NS Wikileaks Mega Thread, regarding any anti Wikileaks comments on the government regime of Cuba, Americans like myself have been saying and posting that information for years. While the Cuban regime and its international supporters call us Fundamentalist, Hardline Intransigent, Extremists, Miami Mafia, Gusano Worms, Escoria Scums. Call the Cuban political dissidents recently released into exile, anti revolutionary, anti social common criminals. And when it wants our Cuban American hard currency money $, Our Overseas Cuban American Immigrant Community. The same goes for Cuban Canadians and European Cubans.
Last edited by Miami Shores on Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:59 am, edited 7 times in total.
lol - I am the worlds greatest insomniac, I beat the worlds record every day. I love math statistics and accounting my profession. Retired home bought and paid for, own 2 rental properties. Many vacations in Miami Beach hotels, Niagara Falls Canada, Puerto Rico, Puerto Plata and Punta Cana Dominican Republic. I am not rich but I am not poor, over all not bad. Proud conservative Republican native Cuban and American citizen supporter of President Trump. President Ronald Reagan the greatest American President of the USA ever and the original Make America Great Again President. President Trump the second greatest American President of the USA ever.

Amaniachelmetjohnpi
Attaché

Founded: Dec 12, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Amaniachelmetjohnpi » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:24 am

I think it's important to have transparency, but I think Wikileaks does more harm than good.
"Why are we surrounded by the Sea? Surely that our Wants at home might be supply'd by our navigation into other Countries, the least and the easiest Labour. By this we taste the spices of Arabia, yet we never feel the scorching Sun which brings them forth; we shine in silks which our Hands have never wrought; we drink of Vinyards which we never planted; the Treasures of those Mines are ours, in which we have never digg'd; we only plough the Deep and reap the Harvest of every Country in the World."

-Henry Martyn on free trade

Zackaroth
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 28, 2004
Father Knows Best State

Postby Zackaroth » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:48 am

Miami Shores wrote:While I have not been following the NS Wikileaks Mega Thread, regarding any anti Wikileaks comments on the government regime of Cuba, Americans like myself have been saying and posting that information for years. While the Cuban regime and its international supporters call us Fundamentalist, Hardline Intransigent, Extremists, Miami Mafia, Gusano Worms, Escoria Scums. Call the Cuban political dissidents recently released into exile, anti revolutionary, anti social common criminals. And when it wants our Cuban American hard currency money $, Our Overseas Cuban American Immigrant Community. The same goes for Cuban Canadians and European Cubans.

Wait are you apart of Alpha 66?

KonataLand
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Feb 17, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby KonataLand » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:16 pm

I love the arguments.

If the US has secrecy, we're like China or NK.

So, if we go completely and totally open, and, additionally, disband the military (If we post our plans to the US Twitter accounts, there's no point in a military :P), we'll be good?

Sounds brilliant!

FUND IT!

Simon Cowell of the RR
Minister

Founded: May 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Simon Cowell of the RR » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:41 pm

We should also all stand in a circle and sing Kumbaya.
Yes, I might be trolling. No, not like the guy who created the thread about towel heads.
I troll by making even the most outlandish opinions sound reasonable. The question is, am I doing that here?

Germoaustria
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 17, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Germoaustria » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:14 pm

Amaniachelmetjohnpi wrote:I think it's important to have transparency, but I think Wikileaks does more harm than good.

How so?

Miami Shores
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 19, 2008
Anarchy

Postby Miami Shores » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:50 pm

Zackaroth wrote:
Miami Shores wrote:While I have not been following the NS Wikileaks Mega Thread, regarding any anti Wikileaks comments on the government regime of Cuba, Americans like myself have been saying and posting that information for years. While the Cuban regime and its international supporters call us Fundamentalist, Hardline Intransigent, Extremists, Miami Mafia, Gusano Worms, Escoria Scums. Call the Cuban political dissidents recently released into exile, anti revolutionary, anti social common criminals. And when it wants our Cuban American hard currency money $, Our Overseas Cuban American Immigrant Community. The same goes for Cuban Canadians and European Cubans.

Wait are you apart of Alpha 66?

Unfortunately not. I am just a Fundmentalist, Hardline Intransigent, Extremist, Cuban American Miami Mafia, Gusano Worm, Escoria Scum, Anti Social, Anti Revolutionary Common Criminal and Proud of it Too.
Last edited by Miami Shores on Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
lol - I am the worlds greatest insomniac, I beat the worlds record every day. I love math statistics and accounting my profession. Retired home bought and paid for, own 2 rental properties. Many vacations in Miami Beach hotels, Niagara Falls Canada, Puerto Rico, Puerto Plata and Punta Cana Dominican Republic. I am not rich but I am not poor, over all not bad. Proud conservative Republican native Cuban and American citizen supporter of President Trump. President Ronald Reagan the greatest American President of the USA ever and the original Make America Great Again President. President Trump the second greatest American President of the USA ever.

Tergnitz
Senator

Founded: Nov 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Tergnitz » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:47 am

I'm honestly surprised that he hasn't been killed in a 'car crash' yet...

A scenario which I would personally have no problem with.

Andaluciae
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Andaluciae » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:48 am

Tergnitz wrote:I'm honestly surprised that he hasn't been killed in a 'car crash' yet...

I would certainly not. I want this guy to stand trial--at least in my worldview, rape is a pretty serious allegation, and if true--I want justice to be brought.
Last edited by Andaluciae on Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
FreeAgency wrote:Shellfish eating used to be restricted to dens of sin such as Red Lobster and Long John Silvers, but now days I cannot even take my children to a public restaurant anymore (even the supposedly "family friendly ones") without risking their having to watch some deranged individual flaunting his sin...

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:23 am

Tergnitz wrote:I'm honestly surprised that he hasn't been killed in a 'car crash' yet...

Due to wikileaks or due to the rapecharge ?
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Andaluciae
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Andaluciae » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:27 am

The Alma Mater wrote:

Due to his excessively large ego, and himself developing a worldview where red-lights don't apply to him?

*rimshot*
Last edited by Andaluciae on Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Innsmothe
Senator

Founded: Sep 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Innsmothe » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:03 am

Andaluciae wrote:
The Alma Mater wrote:

Due to his excessively large ego, and himself developing a worldview where red-lights don't apply to him?

*rimshot*

Talking of excessively large egos, America still sounds butthurt. :lol:
ان الذي فشل لقتلي فقط يجعلني غريب
"an aledy feshel leqtely feqt yej'eleny gheryeb"
Ronald Reagan: "Well, what do you believe in? Do you want to abolish the rich?"
Olof Palme, the Prime Minister of Sweden: "No, I want to abolish the poor."

Your political compass
Economic Left/Right: -7.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.54

Cathalysto
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 10, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Cathalysto » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:27 pm

Wikileaks :bow: :bow: :bow:

Andaluciae
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Andaluciae » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:38 pm

Cathalysto wrote:Wikileaks :bow: :bow: :bow:

Yeah, ah, no.

Trollgaard
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 01, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Trollgaard » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:21 am

When is all the UFO stuff coming out?!

Pepe Dominguez
Envoy

Founded: Oct 09, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Pepe Dominguez » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:54 am

Trollgaard wrote:When is all the UFO stuff coming out?!

Right after the stuff about Bigfoot and the Loch Ness monster. :rofl:

Set the Unbound
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 27, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Set the Unbound » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:00 pm

Dempublicents1 wrote:I'm wondering when they'll start leaking information like this from countries other than major Western ones. Where are the big leaks from Iran? China? North Korea? Saudi Arabia? India? Israel?

At this point, it doesn't look like a service so much as a vendetta against the US and maybe a few of its allies.

You need to delve deeper. The leaks hitting the front pages are about the USA, but there is SO MUCH stuff leaked by Wikileaks- everything from Azerbaijan's War on Beards to corruption in various Carribean governments.

I thought Julian was a tosser at first, but the more Wikileaks material I read the more I forgive him.

Secrecy has its place, but it's obvious from many of the leaked documents that secrecy is most often just a tool for the powerful to use to conceal their crimes...
"If two men agree on everything, you may be sure one of them is doing the thinking"
- Lyndon B. Johnson

"Homosexuality is observed in over a thousand species of animals. Homophobia is observed in only one."
- "Marmalade Skies and Tangerine Trees"

Vonners
Senator

Ex-Nation

Most damming leak of all?

Postby Vonners » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:28 am

Beer - the other white meat

Geniasis
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 28, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Geniasis » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:39 pm

Travour wrote:srsly

did that need to be secret

go go uber-classified prank calling

Psst... I don't think that's actually one of the documents. It looks shopped. I can tell from some of the pixels and from seeing quite a few shops in my time.
Supporter of making [citation needed] the official NSG way to say "source?"

Myrensis wrote:I say turn it into a brothel, that way Muslims and Christians can be offended together.

DaWoad wrote:nah, she only fought because, as everyone knows, the brits can't make a decent purse to save their lives and she had a VERY important shopping trip coming up!

Reichskommissariat ost wrote:Women are as good as men , I dont know why they constantly whine about things.

Euronion wrote:because how dare me ever ever try to demand rights for myself, right men, we should just lie down and let the women trample over us, let them take awa our rights, our right to vote will be next just don't say I didn't warn ou

Vonners
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Vonners » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:48 pm

Geniasis wrote:
Travour wrote:srsly

did that need to be secret

go go uber-classified prank calling

Psst... I don't think that's actually one of the documents. It looks shopped. I can tell from some of the pixels and from seeing quite a few shops in my time.

I thought the give away would have been the very last word on the document...
Beer - the other white meat

Hellosss
Civil Servant

Founded: Dec 09, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Hellosss » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:39 pm

If only there was some kind of mega thread for all this WikiLeaks discussion.....

The Corparation
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 31, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Corparation » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:01 pm

Set the Unbound wrote:
Dempublicents1 wrote:I'm wondering when they'll start leaking information like this from countries other than major Western ones. Where are the big leaks from Iran? China? North Korea? Saudi Arabia? India? Israel?

At this point, it doesn't look like a service so much as a vendetta against the US and maybe a few of its allies.

You need to delve deeper. The leaks hitting the front pages are about the USA, but there is SO MUCH stuff leaked by Wikileaks- everything from Azerbaijan's War on Beards to corruption in various Carribean governments.

I thought Julian was a tosser at first, but the more Wikileaks material I read the more I forgive him.

Secrecy has its place, but it's obvious from many of the leaked documents that secrecy is most often just a tool for the powerful to use to conceal their crimes...

Yes but how many of the crimes that have been exposed by wikileaks weren't already known to those who pay attention?
Nuclear Death Machines Here (Both Flying and Orbiting)
Orbital Freedom Machine Here
A Subsidiary company of Nightkill Enterprises Inc.Weekly words of wisdom: Nothing is more important than waifus.- Gallia-
Making the Nightmare End 2020 2024 WARNING: This post contains chemicals known to the State of CA to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. - Prop 65, CA Health & Safety This Cell is intentionally blank.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General