NATION

PASSWORD

Your Most hated Historical Figures?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Vervaria
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 31, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Vervaria » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:28 pm

Hypparchia wrote:
Vervaria wrote:
Omega Uliza wrote:
Vervaria wrote:Pre, and he never supported doing so forcibly to my knowledge.

I remember having the thought of killing everyone so that we could have a quiet utopia. An idea in an of itself is harmless, it's the intent and carry-through that matters in history. Like, FDR may have been a dick to his wife but that doesn't change some of the good things he did. Historically, we have to balance the good versus the bad things that they did and of course, 'good' and 'bad' are ambiguous of the times we analyze them from.

Indeed. It's hard to find any historical figure who was a saint.

Saint Paul, Saint John, Saint Mathew, Saint Patrick, the list is endless. :p

*Smacks*
Lulz: viewtopic.php?p=2707685#p2707685
Fact book
Robustian wrote:If you disagree with me, you are wrong. Period.

Ashmoria wrote:it worries me more when people who hate the government and dont think it can do a good job at anything get into power and start running things.

Wanderjar wrote:hiding behind this "I WANT SOURCES" wall is very quaint

Self--Esteem wrote:No. I love smearing those people who evidently like their country blown by a nuke and who are too foolish to realise that middle-eastern terrorism is nothing to be fond of.

Novistranaya wrote:After the Civil War, the majority of Southerners were more than happy to accept defeat and acknowledge the fact that (though not immediately) blacks were going to have the same rights as them.

Thrinia
Minister

Founded: Apr 13, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Thrinia » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:28 pm

The Jesuits!
(I prefer the Dominican order!)
Last edited by Thrinia on Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=46322
OOC:The Thrinian Catholic Church by no means claims to be a representation of the RL catholic church, nor does it seek to in anyway debase Rome. It simply remains a NS religion making project.
IC Population: 80.000.000
My Ideology:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bR6lzPcOdzI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OL6gLm7vgM0

Vervaria
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Vervaria » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:29 pm

EvilDarkMagicians wrote:
Altamirus wrote:
EvilDarkMagicians wrote:Amerigo Vespucci.

Why?

Why do you think?

Fact book

Ashmoria wrote:it worries me more when people who hate the government and dont think it can do a good job at anything get into power and start running things.

Self--Esteem wrote:No. I love smearing those people who evidently like their country blown by a nuke and who are too foolish to realise that middle-eastern terrorism is nothing to be fond of.

Novistranaya wrote:After the Civil War, the majority of Southerners were more than happy to accept defeat and acknowledge the fact that (though not immediately) blacks were going to have the same rights as them.

Mount Bordeaux
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mount Bordeaux » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:29 pm

Omega Uliza wrote:
Faith Hope Charity wrote:
Qwcasd wrote:
Faith Hope Charity wrote:Stalin, Mao, Hitler, FDR, Woodrow Wilson

Why FDR?

FDR made the government too big, and set a precedent that we need a big government.

That.. and that he allied with that Bastard Stalin, and also treated german and japanese americans like crap.

Yes but Stalin was needed at the time to help fight a common enemy. The reaction to Germans and Japanese is a considerable thing to take into account though.

He treated the Japanese and Germans that way because he did not want to take a chance of one of them being spies for the enemy. Sure, there could've have been different ways to treat them, but during war when the country was just attacked and Nazi Germany was taking over close allies, I don't think someone ruling the country would think about compassion and caring.
Factbook
President: William Laurent
Vice President: Angelina Besoviwitz
Capital: Rosslyn

Omega Uliza
Diplomat

Founded: May 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Omega Uliza » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:29 pm

Vervaria wrote:
Omega Uliza wrote:
Vervaria wrote:Pre, and he never supported doing so forcibly to my knowledge.

I remember having the thought of killing everyone so that we could have a quiet utopia. An idea in an of itself is harmless, it's the intent and carry-through that matters in history. Like, FDR may have been a dick to his wife but that doesn't change some of the good things he did. Historically, we have to balance the good versus the bad things that they did and of course, 'good' and 'bad' are ambiguous of the times we analyze them from.

Indeed. It's hard to find any historical figure who was a saint.

Catholic saints aside, (as someone already mentioned them), you might just have a point. History never really does paint a good picture of us after we're dead.
Merry old winters oh merry old winters,
Eye of the eye oh can't you see?
Can't you see it has always been me,
Love of my life oh love of my life....

Bluth Corporation
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 15, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Bluth Corporation » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:29 pm

TerraPublica wrote:Emperor Nicholas II(He was a douche,

Not really, just weak-willed and scared shitless.

but Rasputin was awesome!

If by "awesome" you mean "a serial rapist," then I suppose so...
The Huge Mistake of Bluth Corporation
Capital: Newport Beach, Shostakovich | Starting Quarterback: Peyton Manning #18 | Company President: Michael Bluth

Champions of: World Bowl X

You should really be using Slackware

The Bleeding Roses
Minister

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby The Bleeding Roses » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:29 pm

Hypparchia wrote:
The Bleeding Roses wrote:
Hypparchia wrote:
Omega Uliza wrote:
Hypparchia wrote:
Mediterreania wrote:Ronald Regean. He created a national debt, burned billions of dollars on useless military hardware, and enabled Saddam.

^this

I'm not exactly sure if 'this' is really a response of unoriginal origin, or if it's an attack. It kind of lacks the meat or substance in saying what you think.

Oh, did I offend you much ? How about this - I don't really care if he indebted the United States; I hate him for being the typical American Jingoist who's showing off by installing puppet dictatorships or removing such that do not suit him; actually his heavy support on the MAD strategy is a reason solid enough for this guy to be truly hated.

MAD obviously worked...

And what exactly did MAD achieve ?

The destabilization of the USSR...
The Parthenese Confederation
Parthenon
Intergallactic Hell
The Bleeding Roses
West Parthenon
Former GDODAD/Metus Member

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:30 pm

Hypparchia wrote:
Hypparchia wrote:
Omega Uliza wrote:
Hypparchia wrote:
Mediterreania wrote:Ronald Regean. He created a national debt, burned billions of dollars on useless military hardware, and enabled Saddam.

^this

I'm not exactly sure if 'this' is really a response of unoriginal origin, or if it's an attack. It kind of lacks the meat or substance in saying what you think.

Oh, did I offend you much ? How about this - I don't really care if he indebted the United States; I hate him for being the typical American Jingoist who's showing off by installing puppet dictatorships or removing such that do not suit him; actually his heavy support on the MAD strategy is a reason solid enough for this guy to be truly hated.

MAD obviously worked...

Well, it prevented a nuclear war from breaking out between the US and the CCCP...
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent...
Freedom from religion is an integral part of Freedom of religion
Married to Koshka
USMC veteran MOS 0331/8152
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Ifreann: Odds are you're secretly a zebra with a very special keyboard.
Ostro: I think women need to be trained
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Vervaria
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Vervaria » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:31 pm

Mount Bordeaux wrote:
Omega Uliza wrote:
Qwcasd wrote:

Why FDR?

FDR made the government too big, and set a precedent that we need a big government.

That.. and that he allied with that Bastard Stalin, and also treated german and japanese americans like crap.

Yes but Stalin was needed at the time to help fight a common enemy. The reaction to Germans and Japanese is a considerable thing to take into account though.

He treated the Japanese and Germans that way because he did not want to take a chance of one of them being spies for the enemy. Sure, there could've have been different ways to treat them, but during war when the country was just attacked and Nazi Germany was taking over close allies, I don't think someone ruling the country would think about compassion and caring.

I find FDR's treatment of American Japanese and German citizens deplorable, but overall I'd still put him in the top 3-5 of US Presidents for helping bring America through the Great Depression and World War II.
Fact book

Faith Hope Charity
Minister

Founded: Mar 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Faith Hope Charity » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:31 pm

Omega Uliza wrote:
Qwcasd wrote:

Why FDR?

Its my opinion that after Germany fell we shouldve moved on to russia and crushed them. I'm not into the lesser of 2 evils crap, and the world wouldve been alot better off without the USSR and giving them a chance to build up.
Je Suis Geller
Economic Right: 10.00
Social Libertarian: -6.77

People who denounce the free market and voluntary exchange, and are for control and coercion, believe they have more intelligence and superior wisdom to the masses. What's more, they believe they've been ordained to forcibly impose that wisdom on the rest of us. Of course, they have what they consider good reasons for doing so, but every tyrant that has ever existed has had what he believed were good reasons for restricting the liberty of others.
-Walter E. Williams

http://www.isidewith.com/results/426705837

TerraPublica
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 04, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby TerraPublica » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:31 pm

Hypparchia wrote:
Hypparchia wrote:
Omega Uliza wrote:
Hypparchia wrote:

^this

MAD obviously worked...

You forget that Gorbachev introduced free press, and improved free speech in the Soviet Union, and even more would have been done without Reagan. So, nothing was accomplished...
"If you go to the city of Washington... almost all of them claim that they have risen from the ranks to places of eminence and distinction. I am very glad I cannot make that claim for myself. I would be ashamed to admit that I had risen from the ranks. When I rise it will be with the ranks, and not from them..."
—Eugene V. Debs, 1918

Proud Marxist

Avenio wrote:Clearly the only legitimate way to represent political positions is as coordinates on the surface of a Klein bottle.

The Rich Port wrote:It just reminds me about how much I wanted to bone Kim Possible when I was 3-5 years younger.

Teinohikira
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 02, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Teinohikira » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:32 pm

The KGB

Thrinia
Minister

Founded: Apr 13, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Thrinia » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:32 pm

Teinohikira wrote:The KGB

And the cia and the stasi etc etc etc.
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=46322
OOC:The Thrinian Catholic Church by no means claims to be a representation of the RL catholic church, nor does it seek to in anyway debase Rome. It simply remains a NS religion making project.
IC Population: 80.000.000
My Ideology:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bR6lzPcOdzI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OL6gLm7vgM0

Vervaria
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Vervaria » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:33 pm

TerraPublica wrote:
Hypparchia wrote:
Hypparchia wrote:
Omega Uliza wrote:
Hypparchia wrote:

^this

MAD obviously worked...

You forget that Gorbachev introduced free press, and improved free speech in the Soviet Union, and even more would have been done without Reagan. So, nothing was accomplished...

It should be noted that the USSR has been falling apart slowly since the 70s as well, Reagan possibly exacerbated it but didn't cause it.
Fact book

Omega Uliza
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Omega Uliza » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:33 pm

Vervaria wrote:I find FDR's treatment of American Japanese and German citizens deplorable, but overall I'd still put him in the top 3-5 of US Presidents for helping bring America through the Great Depression and World War II.

I'm not sure what that says about American Presidents though...but then again, you can't please every minority. I think one of the biggest problems of the time was the public's reaction to Germans and Japanese Americans.

Hypparchia
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Hypparchia » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:33 pm

Hypparchia wrote:
Hypparchia wrote:
Omega Uliza wrote:
Hypparchia wrote:

^this

MAD obviously worked...

Actually he destabilized the USSR by isolating it economically and persuading the Saudis to increase their oil production. MAD only contributed to the useless stockpiling of nuclear weapons and increased the threat of a nuclear war.

EDIT: As an additional reason to hate him - Reagan's support for the Islamists in Afghanistan, which seriously backfired and is the main reason why America spends billions of dollars to maintain an enormous military force in that country.
Last edited by Hypparchia on Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Omega Uliza
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Omega Uliza » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:35 pm

Vervaria wrote:
TerraPublica wrote:

It should be noted that the USSR has been falling apart slowly since the 70s as well, Reagan possibly exacerbated it but didn't cause it.

What was the final push? I remember something saying that the United States built these fake airplanes and left them in the field for soviet satellites to pick up and waste their materials on more airplanes as well.
Last edited by Omega Uliza on Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chrobalta
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 02, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Chrobalta » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:35 pm

Reagan, Bush 43, Hoover, Thatcher, Pinochet, Nero, Caligula, all the Popes, Hitler, Stalin, Brezhnev, - Ill list some more later.
Democratic Socialist
Political Compass
Economic Left/Right: -8.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.79

Vervaria
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Vervaria » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:36 pm

Omega Uliza wrote:
Vervaria wrote:I find FDR's treatment of American Japanese and German citizens deplorable, but overall I'd still put him in the top 3-5 of US Presidents for helping bring America through the Great Depression and World War II.

I'm not sure what that says about American Presidents though...but then again, you can't please every minority. I think one of the biggest problems of the time was the public's reaction to Germans and Japanese Americans.

American Presidents are a mixed bag at best, that's for sure.
Fact book

THE GECKO STATE
Secretary

Founded: Oct 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Your Most hated Historical figures?

Postby THE GECKO STATE » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:36 pm

I think we can all agree on adolf hitler (I didn't capatilize his name because he's not conisdered human).
THE IMPERIAL EMPIRE OF THE GECKO STATE

Omega Uliza
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Omega Uliza » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:36 pm

Chrobalta wrote:Reagan, Bush 43, Hoover, Thatcher, Pinochet, Nero, Caligula, all the Popes, Hitler, Stalin, Brezhnev, - Ill list some more later.

Yes, but why do you not like these people? That says more than a list.

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:37 pm

THE GECKO STATE wrote:I think we can all agree on adolf hitler (I didn't capatilize his name because he's not conisdered human).

I don't agree. I do not hate Adolf Hitler.
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent...
Freedom from religion is an integral part of Freedom of religion
Married to Koshka
USMC veteran MOS 0331/8152
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Ifreann: Odds are you're secretly a zebra with a very special keyboard.
Ostro: I think women need to be trained
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

TerraPublica
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 04, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby TerraPublica » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:38 pm

Bluth Corporation wrote:
TerraPublica wrote:Emperor Nicholas II(He was a douche,

Not really, just weak-willed and scared shitless.

but Rasputin was awesome!

If by "awesome" you mean "a serial rapist," then I suppose so...

I think you need a song. 8)
"If you go to the city of Washington... almost all of them claim that they have risen from the ranks to places of eminence and distinction. I am very glad I cannot make that claim for myself. I would be ashamed to admit that I had risen from the ranks. When I rise it will be with the ranks, and not from them..."
—Eugene V. Debs, 1918

Proud Marxist

Avenio wrote:Clearly the only legitimate way to represent political positions is as coordinates on the surface of a Klein bottle.

The Rich Port wrote:It just reminds me about how much I wanted to bone Kim Possible when I was 3-5 years younger.

Central Jutland
Secretary

Founded: Jun 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Central Jutland » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:38 pm

Adam and Eva.

I mean Stalin is the one.

New Somersetshire
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby New Somersetshire » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:38 pm

THE GECKO STATE wrote:I think we can all agree on adolf hitler (I didn't capatilize his name because he's not conisdered human).

Of course. He was actually a time-traveling robot.
Political Compass:
Economic Left/Right: -4.25; Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.23

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General