NATION

PASSWORD

Christian Persecution. Is it ok?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Is It Ok? (Read the Articles.)

Poll ended at Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:56 am

Yes
24%
Sometimes
5%
I didn't even know this stuff happened...
4%
I don't really know yet.
1%
No
67%

Total votes : 305

Einwill
Civilian

Founded: Mar 03, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Einwill » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:26 pm

I think that crimes against christians should be treated as any other crime. No more, no less.

Luciratus
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Luciratus » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:26 pm

Einwill wrote:I think that crimes against christians should be treated as any other crime. No more, no less.

I concur.
Last edited by Luciratus on Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stop the killing! Free Libya!
Please, help Japan and Oceania in any manner possible. Pray or hope for their safety and health.
I am a Grammar Nazi. As such, I prefer posts that are comprehensible.
Cannot think of a name wrote:
Mosasauria wrote:War is a necessary evil. True peace is impossible.
As long as we tell ourselves the first sentence, the second one will always be true.

The Blaatschapen wrote:
Cameroi wrote:And I still say, 9 out of 10 fetuses would rather be aborted then be born unwanted.

Did you poll those fetuses on their opinion?

Ezekiel Bardoff (dictator)
Yavid Biram (chairman)
Yashua Mithridates (two terms)
Alistaire Hawthorne (current)

Factbook

Puff-Puff-Pass Land
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 09, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Puff-Puff-Pass Land » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:28 pm

Luciratus wrote:
Einwill wrote:I think that crimes against christians should be treated as any other crime. No more, no less.

I concor.

And I conquer. If you're going to babble, babble with your spell-checker on.
Up in the sky, it's a bird, it's a plane, it's- Oh, wait. It is a bird.
I'm not ADD, I'm jus- ooh, shiny!
Bafuria wrote:Your nation is very peculiar...

I LIKE IT! :D

New Caldaris wrote:I dont even want to think what would happen if he had nuclear weapons!

Denecaep wrote:Oh yeah, that's that guy that is a nuisance

Israslovakahzerbajan wrote:I'm hungry.
Our Lady GaGa wrote:
Great Nepal wrote:And what the fuc* do you think is the solder of RA?

Rimmers Anonymous?

Treznor wrote:Thank you O Lord and Master. I humbly present my body and soul for your service as you see fit.

Arranfirangia wrote:The fifth element? What does that mean?
I assume they aren't talking of boron.

Hell's gonna be a party when I get there.
Science works, bitches.

Allbeama
Senator

Founded: May 26, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Allbeama » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:29 pm

Buffett and Colbert wrote:Image
Get over it, but no, it's not OK.

Christ is PAC MAN!
Agonarthis Terra, My Homeworld.
The Internet loves you. mah Factbook

Hope lies in the smouldering rubble of Empires.

Luciratus
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Luciratus » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:31 pm

Puff-Puff-Pass Land wrote:
Luciratus wrote:

I concor.

Sorry concur. I was typing fast. My bad. There's a spell check?
Please, help Japan and Oceania in any manner possible. Pray or hope for their safety and health.
As long as we tell ourselves the first sentence, the second one will always be true.

The Blaatschapen wrote:
Cameroi wrote:And I still say, 9 out of 10 fetuses would rather be aborted then be born unwanted.

Yavid Biram (chairman)

Factbook

Luciratus
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Luciratus » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:32 pm

Allbeama wrote:

Christ is PAC MAN!

That explains why that's the only video game my fundamentalist friends play!

The Blaatschapen wrote:

Yavid Biram (chairman)

Factbook

Puff-Puff-Pass Land
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Puff-Puff-Pass Land » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:33 pm

Luciratus wrote:
Puff-Puff-Pass Land wrote:
Luciratus wrote:

I concor.

Sorry concur. I was typing fast. My bad. There's a spell check?

On Macs and a few grades of Windows, yes.
Sorry if that last bit came out grouchy.

New Caldaris wrote:I dont even want to think what would happen if he had nuclear weapons!

Our Lady GaGa wrote:

Rimmers Anonymous?

Treznor wrote:Thank you O Lord and Master. I humbly present my body and soul for your service as you see fit.

Science works, bitches.

Nort Eurasia
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 16, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Nort Eurasia » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:33 pm

How can you oppress and persecute the ignorant minority?
You should not give in to evils, but proceed ever so boldly against them.

What is asserted without reason may be denied without reason.

A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it.

He that will not reason is a bigot; he that cannot reason is a fool; he that dares not reason is a slave.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:34 pm

Luciratus wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:
Luciratus wrote:
Kayliea wrote:
Illithar wrote:
Kayliea wrote:
Illithar wrote:
The Alma Mater wrote:
Illithar wrote:Well, obviously not. I would like to point out that the most common examples of "evil commited in the name of religion" are really just using religion as an excuse, it was not the main cause.

Nah. The greatest evil is quite possibly the worshipping of evil ;)

That assumes God is evil, an assumption most people would not agree with.

who says? i'd go with that.

You would agree that God is evil? Good for you. I disagree and so would most of the population of the Earth.

"i would never worship a cruel dictator that is worse than adolf hitler. sorry."

God is in no way comparable to Adolf Hitler. Hitler killed at least 11 million people. God personally struck down less than 50,000 people who sacrificed children, committed violent acts on innocent people, and were war-like towards others. That is at least what the Bible says, however if you would like to bring in alternate sources you could. As it is the Bible would be the best source for validating God's crimes if they exist.

Or if they happened to be living in the Cities of the Plain on a bad day, or in Jericho when the Israelites arrived one fine day. Violent acts on innocent people.

If you take the Bible literally: everyone in the region worshiped gods by sacrificing children. The Israelites fought only when they needed to. They only killed people who were involved with the culture, religion, and politics of a city-state they fought. Thus those killed would have been guilty of the crimes that the Bible accused them of, assuming the Bible is true. The younger people and children were spare to become slaves(indentured servant) and gradually assimulated into the new Israelite culture.

So we aren't taking the Bible literally? My mistake. Then a great deal of your god evaporates, doesn't it?
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Luciratus
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Luciratus » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:36 pm

Nort Eurasia wrote:How can you oppress and persecute the ignorant minority?

It's just so much fun!

Really though no one's oppressed in America(except for mentioned exceptions who will soon probably gain rights). Christians are the majority in the U.S.. Very few people are genuinely ignorant, they just play dumb.

The Blaatschapen wrote:

Yavid Biram (chairman)

Factbook

Luciratus
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Luciratus » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:39 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Luciratus wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:
Luciratus wrote:
Kayliea wrote:
Illithar wrote:
Kayliea wrote:
Illithar wrote:
The Alma Mater wrote:
Illithar wrote:Well, obviously not. I would like to point out that the most common examples of "evil commited in the name of religion" are really just using religion as an excuse, it was not the main cause.

You would agree that God is evil? Good for you. I disagree and so would most of the population of the Earth.

"i would never worship a cruel dictator that is worse than adolf hitler. sorry."

God is in no way comparable to Adolf Hitler. Hitler killed at least 11 million people. God personally struck down less than 50,000 people who sacrificed children, committed violent acts on innocent people, and were war-like towards others. That is at least what the Bible says, however if you would like to bring in alternate sources you could. As it is the Bible would be the best source for validating God's crimes if they exist.

Or if they happened to be living in the Cities of the Plain on a bad day, or in Jericho when the Israelites arrived one fine day. Violent acts on innocent people.

If you take the Bible literally: everyone in the region worshiped gods by sacrificing children. The Israelites fought only when they needed to. They only killed people who were involved with the culture, religion, and politics of a city-state they fought. Thus those killed would have been guilty of the crimes that the Bible accused them of, assuming the Bible is true. The younger people and children were spare to become slaves(indentured servant) and gradually assimulated into the new Israelite culture.

So we aren't taking the Bible literally? My mistake. Then a great deal of your god evaporates, doesn't it?

Well I assume you are an atheist not a maltheist? In that case refering to beliefs you believe to be false would drastically weaken your argument. It would be much better to actually debate the existence of God instead of a hypothetical scenario from your point of view. I was merely debating whether or not God is benign or malign. I find maltheism to be too pessimistic. It would be better to be atheist than maltheist...

The Blaatschapen wrote:

Yavid Biram (chairman)

Factbook

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:43 pm

Luciratus wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:
Luciratus wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:
Luciratus wrote:
Kayliea wrote:
Illithar wrote:
Kayliea wrote:
Illithar wrote:
The Alma Mater wrote:

Well I assume you are an atheist not a maltheist? In that case refering to beliefs you believe to be false would drastically weaken your argument. It would be much better to actually debate the existence of God instead of a hypothetical scenario from your point of view. I was merely debating whether or not God is benign or malign. I find maltheism to be too pessimistic. It would be better to be atheist than maltheist...

I was simply trying to argue inside the context of Biblical religion. I am an atheist but there's nothing in simply saying, "There is no god," because then people won't talk with you. It's boring. Since I have a decent knowledge of religion, I think I can hold my own. Sometimes, anyway.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Luciratus
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Luciratus » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:49 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Luciratus wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:
Luciratus wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:
Luciratus wrote:
Kayliea wrote:
Illithar wrote:
Kayliea wrote:
Illithar wrote:
The Alma Mater wrote:

I was simply trying to argue inside the context of Biblical religion. I am an atheist but there's nothing in simply saying, "There is no god," because then people won't talk with you. It's boring. Since I have a decent knowledge of religion, I think I can hold my own. Sometimes, anyway.

Alright, fair enough. Yes, there are already quite a few threads on the existence of God and it does get redundant. Personally I don't debate in them because they tend to devolve into flying spaghetti monster and other straw-man arguments which can be easily rebuted, instead of actually discussing the flaws and strengths in various belief systems. I'm happy to see you've at least looked at religion and formed an opinion on it instead of just saying it was stupid from the start.
Last edited by Luciratus on Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Blaatschapen wrote:

Yavid Biram (chairman)

Factbook

The Black Plains
Senator

Founded: Jan 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Black Plains » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:54 pm

... What?! No! Killing someone is wrong!

Luciratus
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Luciratus » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:55 pm

The Black Plains wrote:... What?! No! Killing someone is wrong!

Why? Does this mean I'm going to jail?!(threadjack/ sorry I'm bored)

The Blaatschapen wrote:

Yavid Biram (chairman)

Factbook

DaWoad
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 05, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby DaWoad » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:59 pm

Luciratus wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:
Luciratus wrote:
Kayliea wrote:
Illithar wrote:
Kayliea wrote:
Illithar wrote:
The Alma Mater wrote:

Taking the bible literally is ridiculous. Taking parts of the bible literally is ridiculous because then you are simply choosing what you want to believe and have no need of the bible. Taking none of the bile literally is sensible.
(ridiculous elements of the bible (if taken literally):
The flood
The creation of earth
the tale of adam and eve as the "creation of people"
the various miracles
)
Official Nation States Trainer
Factbook:http://nationstates.wikia.com/wiki/User:Dawoad
Alliances:The Hegemony, The GDF, SCUTUM

Supporter of making [citation needed] the official NSG way to say "source?"

Allbeama
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Allbeama » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:04 pm

Luciratus wrote:
Allbeama wrote:

Christ is PAC MAN!

Of course, most video games are designed to induce the youth into demon worship, gang activity, and black magic/ mad science to summon hordes of flesh eating zombie ghouls! :p

Gordonisia
Ambassador

Founded: May 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Gordonisia » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:05 pm

no this isn't ok, unless religious/ethnic/racial persecution in general is ok.
if that's the case, then we owe the Nazis a big apology and a piece of cake
"We have the best Congress that money can buy" -Will Rogers

Luciratus
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Luciratus » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:08 pm

DaWoad wrote:
Luciratus wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:
Luciratus wrote:
Kayliea wrote:
Illithar wrote:
Kayliea wrote:
Illithar wrote:
The Alma Mater wrote:

Taking the bible literally is ridiculous. Taking parts of the bible literally is ridiculous because then you are simply choosing what you want to believe and have no need of the bible. Taking none of the bile literally is sensible.
(ridiculous elements of the bible (if taken literally):
The flood
The creation of earth
the tale of adam and eve as the "creation of people"
the various miracles
)

Some events of the Bible have been proven probable. The existence of Jesus. The conquest of Canaan. Certain miracles. All by scientist who take the religion out of it. They do it all the time on history channel(which might not be the best source but is a source none the less). Taking fundamentalist evolution or the Big Bang Theory can be ridiculous to. Neither theory is fully proven and their existence has been deemed unlikely by many scientist who have evidence to form new models(at least on the Big Bang Theory). As such neither model is fully proven. The best you can do is accept what you have evidence for. There is some evidence for a God and many people have seen it in the perfection of the universe and nature. However there are other model people follow. To say accepting parts of the Bible is ridiculous because you are simply choosing what you want to believe is a dubious response to the book. Don't you accept which theories to believe based on evidence in science?

The Blaatschapen wrote:

Yavid Biram (chairman)

Factbook

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:08 pm

Allbeama wrote:
Luciratus wrote:
Allbeama wrote:

Christ is PAC MAN!

Of course, most video games are designed to induce the youth into demon worship, gang activity, and black magic/ mad science to summon hordes of flesh eating zombie ghouls! :p

And yet to date I have zero successful horde of flesh eating zombie ghouls summonings... :(
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent...
Freedom from religion is an integral part of Freedom of religion
Married to Koshka
USMC veteran MOS 0331/8152
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Ifreann: Odds are you're secretly a zebra with a very special keyboard.
Ostro: I think women need to be trained
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Puff-Puff-Pass Land
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Puff-Puff-Pass Land » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:09 pm

Dyakovo wrote:
Allbeama wrote:
Luciratus wrote:
Allbeama wrote:

Christ is PAC MAN!

And yet to date I have zero successful horde of flesh eating zombie ghouls summonings... :(

Practice makes... well, at least it makes better!

Our Lady GaGa wrote:

Rimmers Anonymous?

Science works, bitches.

Luciratus
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Luciratus » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:10 pm

Allbeama wrote:
Luciratus wrote:
Allbeama wrote:

Christ is PAC MAN!

True we need to take decisive action against the corruption of our youth. Magic! Science! Gang activity! Science! Zombies! Science! Did I mention science? We need to call the Inquisition and pull out the shiny racks.

The Blaatschapen wrote:

Yavid Biram (chairman)

Factbook

SaintB
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 18, 2007
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby SaintB » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:29 pm

Persecution is wrong no matter who its against or who does it.
Hi my name is SaintB and I am prone to sarcasm and hyperbole. Because of this I make no warranties, express or implied, concerning the accuracy, completeness, reliability or suitability of the above statement, of its constituent parts, or of any supporting data. These terms are subject to change without notice from myself.

Every day NationStates tells me I have one issue. I am pretty sure I've got more than that.

Allbeama
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Allbeama » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:31 pm

Dyakovo wrote:
Allbeama wrote:
Luciratus wrote:
Allbeama wrote:

Christ is PAC MAN!

Which method did you employ? Some people are better at magic, others prefer science...

Trollgaard
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 01, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Trollgaard » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:03 pm

Christians aren't being persecuted.

Get over yourselves.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General