NATION

PASSWORD

Global Warming Fact or Fiction

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Free Soviets
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Free Soviets » Sat May 22, 2010 7:58 am

The Black Plains wrote:Neither: Uncertain. With no proxy data we cannot be sure if it is our fault.

this is wrong a lot for being so short. i mean, first off, we have tons of great proxy data. but even if we didn't, we could still know that climate change is anthropogenic. we do not believe that CO2 is a driver of climate based on historical evidence, but on its chemical properties. we do not know that there has been a lot of CO2 being emitted by comparing it to the past, but by knowing what happens when you burn fossil fuels. we do not know what the various other drivers of climate are doing currently by what sediment layers tell us, but by actually measuring them now.

Lacadaemon
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 26, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Lacadaemon » Sat May 22, 2010 8:06 am

Free Soviets wrote:
The Black Plains wrote:Neither: Uncertain. With no proxy data we cannot be sure if it is our fault.

this is wrong a lot for being so short. i mean, first off, we have tons of great proxy data. but even if we didn't, we could still know that climate change is anthropogenic. we do not believe that CO2 is a driver of climate based on historical evidence, but on its chemical properties. we do not know that there has been a lot of CO2 being emitted by comparing it to the past, but by knowing what happens when you burn fossil fuels. we do not know what the various other drivers of climate are doing currently by what sediment layers tell us, but by actually measuring them now.

Physical properties of CO2. It's chemical properties have jack shit to do with this.
The kind of middle-class mentality which actuates both those responsible for strategy and government has little knowledge of the new psychology and organizing ability of the totalitarian States. The forces we are fighting are governed neither by the old strategy nor follow the old tactics.

Ketrily
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 27, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Ketrily » Sat May 22, 2010 8:07 am

Quadrimmina wrote:But if you want to believe that it's just scientists making things up, that's your decision. :)

I don't believe that it's a lie. I just think it's an idea that does have logic behind it, but is not as serious as many would believe- like Y2k. I believed man-made climate change would be catastrophic for several years.

But I began to look at all the evidence backing everything up, and I came to the conclusion that most-likely (At least from my perspective) we do seem to be exaggerating what may happen.

But that is my opinion, at least.
Political
Economic Left/Right: 6.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.59

Moral
Moral Order: -0.5
Moral Rules: -7

The Black Plains
Senator

Founded: Jan 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Black Plains » Sat May 22, 2010 8:27 am

Quadrimmina wrote:Global warming is happening. That's an easily discernable fact, all you gotta do is look at average temperatures yearly and you can see...OMG...they're going up!

The second half is much more debatable. Some people will say it's a hoax by the tree-huggers, others will say that it is created by our own greed and need to turn a profit at the expense of the environment. I believe the latter. However, it's up for interpretation. I believe that there is firmly conclusive evidence of man-made global warming. But if you want to believe that it's just scientists making things up, that's your decision. :)

Nah. They had the allegedly acccurate proxy data to back it up before, and I even bought it! But now we are finding out that their proxy data is wildly inaccurate. And proxy data such as ice layers actually CONTRADICTED what the CRU was trying to prove and so they discredited it long ago as an invalid source of proxy data. Same with moisture in the dirt. Which I can buy because, like they said, it had a lot more to do with the number of animals in the area and the type of sediment at the time than the weather. But even if it were credible, moisture layers in the dirt also disprove global warming as a proxy source. So moss layers and tree rings have both proven to be inaccurate. They were your main proxies that backed up global warming. Yes you have stuff left like leaf fossils. If the leaf evolved bigger faster or smaller faster et cetera then it could indicate a different climate. Leaf fossils, if you buy what they say about them, can predict an interpretable line of temperatures. However, there is a HUUUUUUUUGE margin for error with them if you have EVER seen a proxy chart of leaf fossil proxies. There's also things like swamp deposits that very mildly support global warming. But basically, when you lost tree rings and moss layers and are trying to argue that proxies like these two cut it, then you are trying to play a game of football without your quarterback and main lineman.

The Black Plains
Senator

Founded: Jan 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Black Plains » Sat May 22, 2010 8:30 am

Free Soviets wrote:

They're shitty proxies. Like I said above, trying to rely on those proxies is like playing football without your quarterback. They have a large enough margin for error that I can say, "Hey lookie here! I drew ANOTHER line! The temperature is actually three degrees lower than it was a thousand five hundred years ago!" And first of all you apparently do not know what chemical properties are. Those would be traits or characteristic. Physical properties. And if what you say is true then stopping global warming lies in Kangaroo farts.

Gamingland
Envoy

Founded: May 03, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Gamingland » Sat May 22, 2010 8:57 am

The Black Plains wrote:
Quadrimmina wrote:Global warming is happening. That's an easily discernable fact, all you gotta do is look at average temperatures yearly and you can see...OMG...they're going up!

The second half is much more debatable. Some people will say it's a hoax by the tree-huggers, others will say that it is created by our own greed and need to turn a profit at the expense of the environment. I believe the latter. However, it's up for interpretation. I believe that there is firmly conclusive evidence of man-made global warming. But if you want to believe that it's just scientists making things up, that's your decision. :)

Nah. They had the allegedly acccurate proxy data to back it up before, and I even bought it! But now we are finding out that their proxy data is wildly inaccurate. And proxy data such as ice layers actually CONTRADICTED what the CRU was trying to prove and so they discredited it long ago as an invalid source of proxy data. Same with moisture in the dirt. Which I can buy because, like they said, it had a lot more to do with the number of animals in the area and the type of sediment at the time than the weather. But even if it were credible, moisture layers in the dirt also disprove global warming as a proxy source. So moss layers and tree rings have both proven to be inaccurate. They were your main proxies that backed up global warming. Yes you have stuff left like leaf fossils. If the leaf evolved bigger faster or smaller faster et cetera then it could indicate a different climate. Leaf fossils, if you buy what they say about them, can predict an interpretable line of temperatures. However, there is a HUUUUUUUUGE margin for error with them if you have EVER seen a proxy chart of leaf fossil proxies. There's also things like swamp deposits that very mildly support global warming. But basically, when you lost tree rings and moss layers and are trying to argue that proxies like these two cut it, then you are trying to play a game of football without your quarterback and main lineman.

Climategate is bogus, only some 10 emails. CRU didn't try to prove anything to the contrary of the climate change theory.
Properly referred to ICly as Kasuchiland
Ganos Lao wrote:NSG: Where armchair revolutionaries can routinely condemn the system they live under with all the benefits they themselves rely upon by advocating the non-existent merits of a system that's really not that good to begin with.

Free South Califas wrote:Awesome, you leave the Moon for long enough and your flag automatically signals your surrender 8)

Free Soviets
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Free Soviets » Sat May 22, 2010 9:02 am

Lacadaemon wrote:
Free Soviets wrote:we do not believe that CO2 is a driver of climate based on historical evidence, but on its chemical properties.

Physical properties of CO2. It's chemical properties have jack shit to do with this.

yeah. serves me right for posting right when i got up.

Whole Conviction
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 10, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Whole Conviction » Sat May 22, 2010 9:33 am

The Black Plains wrote:
Free Soviets wrote:

They're shitty proxies. Like I said above, trying to rely on those proxies is like playing football without your quarterback. They have a large enough margin for error that I can say, "Hey lookie here! I drew ANOTHER line! The temperature is actually three degrees lower than it was a thousand five hundred years ago!" And first of all you apparently do not know what chemical properties are. Those would be traits or characteristic. Physical properties. And if what you say is true then stopping global warming lies in Kangaroo farts.

Um... sources on ANY of that?

Edit: perhaps I shouldn't just say 'sources', because that's often just a way to shut down another side. Let me expand: the information I've run across, and have provided elsewhere, contradicts EVERYTHING you have said. Can you please provide some backup to your claims, because so far I'm not agreeing with one single thing you've said.
Last edited by Whole Conviction on Sat May 22, 2010 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
I got told to get a blog. So I did.

Hassett
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 11, 2009
Anarchy

Postby Hassett » Sat May 22, 2010 9:34 am

As to your first part, the Earth has only raised 1 degree Celsius within the past 100 years. And atleast where I live, I've had some of the coldest/longest winters in years.
Black and Yellow
Economic Left/Right: 8.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.82
-Former United States
-Hassett: A History through Flags

Whole Conviction
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 10, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Whole Conviction » Sat May 22, 2010 9:39 am

Hassett wrote:

As to your first part, the Earth has only raised 1 degree Celsius within the past 100 years. And atleast where I live, I've had some of the coldest/longest winters in years.

Well, since the global average temperature has increased, and temperature around your area has decreased, what do you think is happening in other parts of the world?

REmember: it's GLOBAL, not LOCAL. The US and Europe has had very cold winter. Russia, on the other hand, has had record high winters. That's what averages mean. It doesn't mean that EVERYWHERE has gotten warmer by 1 degree. That actually wouldn't be too bad. Instead, it there's climate change over the world that means some places get colder, and other places get MUCH warmer... and the increase in temperature is greater than the decrease, leading to an average rise in global temperatures over time.
I got told to get a blog. So I did.

Free Soviets
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Free Soviets » Sat May 22, 2010 10:16 am

The Black Plains wrote:
Free Soviets wrote:

They're shitty proxies.

no, they aren't.

i'd also like to note that you addressed literally none of what i said. i take it that you can't.

Augarundus
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 22, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Augarundus » Sat May 22, 2010 10:42 am

An interesting idea for a novel.

A stupid, baseless, fictitious idea in real life.
Libertarian Purity Test Score: 160
Capitalism is always the answer. Whenever there's a problem in capitalism, you just need some more capitalism. If the solution isn't capitalism, then it's not really a problem. If your capitalism gets damaged, you just need to throw some capitalism on it and get on with your life.

DaWoad
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 05, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby DaWoad » Sat May 22, 2010 10:53 am

Augarundus wrote:An interesting idea for a novel.

backup your claim or, at the very least, read some of the dmn info posted.
Official Nation States Trainer
Factbook:http://nationstates.wikia.com/wiki/User:Dawoad
Alliances:The Hegemony, The GDF, SCUTUM

Supporter of making [citation needed] the official NSG way to say "source?"

Greater Phenia
Diplomat

Founded: May 03, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater Phenia » Sun May 23, 2010 7:55 am

I'll let someone else address your second claim but as for the first... I shudder to imagine what you consider an interesting novel if you truly believe that. "Oh my, a one degree rise in average temperature! How the plot thickens..." :p

The Corparation
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 31, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Corparation » Sun May 23, 2010 12:24 pm

Greater Phenia wrote:

I'll let someone else address your second claim but as for the first... I shudder to imagine what you consider an interesting novel if you truly believe that. "Oh my, a one degree rise in average temperature! How the plot thickens..." :p

Actualy Micheal Crichton's "State of Fear" deals heavily with climate change and is a really good book.
Nuclear Death Machines Here (Both Flying and Orbiting)
Orbital Freedom Machine Here
A Subsidiary company of Nightkill Enterprises Inc.Weekly words of wisdom: Nothing is more important than waifus.- Gallia-
Making the Nightmare End 2020 2024 WARNING: This post contains chemicals known to the State of CA to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. - Prop 65, CA Health & Safety This Cell is intentionally blank.

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Black Forrest » Sun May 23, 2010 12:58 pm

The Corparation wrote:
Greater Phenia wrote:

Actualy Micheal Crichton's "State of Fear" deals heavily with climate change and is a really good book.

Michael Crichton? A really good book? Haven't read that one. Read a bunch of others. Kind of fluffy with a rush to end it feeling.......
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Greal
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 23, 2007
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Greal » Sun May 23, 2010 3:15 pm

The Corparation wrote:
Greater Phenia wrote:

He was trying to portray environmentalists as terrorists and alarmists.
DEFCON: 5 l 4 l 3 l 2 l 1

Greal Embassy Center, Greal News Agency,

Xsyne
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Xsyne » Sun May 23, 2010 3:32 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:
The Corparation wrote:
Greater Phenia wrote:

Michael Crichton? A really good book? Haven't read that one. Read a bunch of others. Kind of fluffy with a rush to end it feeling.......

Hey, if book quality is based on authors portraying their critics as child molesters in scenes that contribute nothing to the story, then "State of Fear" is the greatest book ever written.
If global warming is real, why are there still monkeys? - Msigroeg
Pro: Stuff
Anti: Things
Chernoslavia wrote:
Free Soviets wrote:according to both the law library of congress and wikipedia, both automatics and semi-autos that can be easily converted are outright banned in norway.

Source?

Meroivinge
Envoy

Founded: Jan 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Meroivinge » Sun May 23, 2010 3:45 pm

The Corparation wrote:
Greater Phenia wrote:

Michael Crichton hadn't written a good book since Andromeda Strain. Jurassic Park was Westworld with Dinosaurs. Sphere was so awful that I flung it across the room in disgust. The only reason I was even able to finish reading State of Fear was because I was being paid a small amount to do so.

Brandess
Political Columnist

Founded: Jun 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Re:

Postby Brandess » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:30 am

Global worming is real as i am experiencing it..as i am feeling hotter year by year...i did not require heavy quilts for the last 3-4 years...so, it is real...but definitely not due to co2 rise...it is due to deforestation and urbanisation ( means cement,pavement etc) and population...
Last edited by Brandess on Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Novograd IV
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 13, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Novograd IV » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:37 am

Ammount of scientficaly credited articles that DISAGREE with us causing global warming: 0
Ammount of media articles that DISAGREE with us causing global warming: 50+%
Novan Wiki (under [re]construction)

Economic Left/Right: -9.62
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.24

http://www.politicaltest.net/test/result/196124/

Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 05, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:39 am

Not this shit again...
If the knowledge isn't useful, you haven't found the lesson yet. ~Iniika
You-Gi-Owe wrote:If someone were to ask me about your online persona as a standard of your "date-ability", I'd rate you as "worth investigating further & passionate about beliefs". But, enough of the idle speculation on why you didn't score with the opposite gender.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:Clever, but your Jedi mind tricks don't work on me.

His Jedi mind tricks are insignificant compared to the power of Buffy's sex appeal.
Keronians wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:My law class took my virginity. And it was 100% consensual.

I accuse your precious law class of statutory rape.

Arkinesia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 22, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Arkinesia » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:40 am

Novograd IV wrote:Ammount of scientficaly credited articles that DISAGREE with us causing global warming: 0
Ammount of media articles that DISAGREE with us causing global warming: 50+%

[citation needed]
Bisexual, atheist, Southerner. Not much older but made much wiser.

Disappointment Panda wrote:Don't hope for a life without problems. There's no such thing. Instead, hope for a life full of good problems.

Gift-of-god
Minister

Founded: Jul 05, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Gift-of-god » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:40 am

The Corparation wrote:Actualy Michael Crichton's "State of Fear" deals heavily with climate change and is a really good book.

You should check the sources Crichton gives at the end of the book. A lot of mine-quoting and out of context statements. His argument is not nearly as well supprted as his iron-jawed protagonist makes it out to be.
Last edited by Gift-of-god on Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am the very model of the modern kaiju Gamera
I've a shell that's indestructible and endless turtle stamina.
I defend the little kids and I level downtown Tokyo
in a giant free-for-all mega-kaiju rodeo.

Novograd IV
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 13, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Novograd IV » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:40 am

Buffett and Colbert wrote:Not this shit again...

isn't it great :p
Novan Wiki (under [re]construction)

Economic Left/Right: -9.62
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.24

http://www.politicaltest.net/test/result/196124/

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General