NATION

PASSWORD

Chicago Officer Charged With First Degree Murder

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jun 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Chicago Officer Charged With First Degree Murder

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:06 pm

Part one.

CHICAGO (WLS) -- A Chicago police officer now faces first-degree murder charges in the shooting death of Laquan McDonald, 17. He is being held without bail.

Chicago Police Officer Jason Van Dyke shot the black teenager 16 times in October 2014. The shooting was recorded on a police dash cam video, which Chicago police are expected to release at 4:30 p.m. Tuesday. ABC7 Chicago Eyewitness News received a version of the video earlier, but choose to use only a single image due to safety concerns.

Cook County State's Attorney Anita Alvarez described the video after Van Dyke appeared in court.

"At 9:57:36, McDonald has crossed over the white lane divider away from the officers, and Officer Van Dyke has taken at least one step towards McDonald with his weapon drawn," Alvarez said. "The officer then opened fire on Laquan, whose arm jerks, his body spins around and he falls to the ground. While Laquan is falling to the ground the defendant takes at least one more step towards him, at which point the angle of the dash camera changes and we can no longer see the officer in the frame of the video. Two seconds later, Laquan McDonald is lying on the street on his right side, and the video captures what appears to be two puffs of smoke coming from the ground near his body. These puffs of smoke were later identified as clouds of debris caused by the fired bullets. At 9:57:51, McDonald is still lying on the street and the last visible shot is fired."

Alvarez said at this point, there is a pause as Van Dyke prepares to reload his gun. His partner tells him to hold fire and then walks over to McDonald and kicks away the teenager's knife.

Van Dyke acted "without legal justification and with the intent to kill or do great bodily harm, Jason D. Van Dyke personally discharged a firearm that proximately cause the death of LaQuan McDonald," according to court documents filed Tuesday.

"Of the eight officers on the scene, it was only the defendant who fired his weapon," Alvarez, who has come under fire for the handling of the investigation, said.

Van Dyke made no comment Tuesday morning, but his attorney spoke after the bond hearing. Defense attorney Dan Herbert cautions the public's rush to judgment after the video is released.

"The judgement made by individuals that view this tape from the comfort of their living room on their sofa, it's not the same standard as the perspective from my client. People viewing this video tape will have the brilliance and benefits of hindsight, 20/20 vision," Herbert said. "People will judge the split-second action of my client. However, the standard in this case is: what was my client experiencing at the time at which he made this split-second decision to fire, and that is the standard that is going to be utilized. And thankfully that will be the standard that will be utilized in court, and we fully anticipate that we will be successful in this case."

On October 20, 2014, Chicago police were responding to reports of car break-ins near 40th and Karlov when they came across McDonald. Officers said the teen, who was a ward of the state, was acting erratically and had a knife he refused to drop.

An autopsy determined McDonald was shot multiple times in the chest, the back of his arms and right leg. McDonald's family already received a $5 million settlement from the city in April 2015.

"This investigation was tenacious. It was meticulous," Alvarez said. "At the end of the day, I'd rather take my time and get it right than rush to judgment and get it wrong."

"We are standing by Officer Van Dyke in the performance of his duty at this stage. That is what we are elected to do," Dean Angelo, Fraternal Order of Police, said.

The timeline for the city to release the graphic dash cam video of the fatal shooting is Wednesday, according to a court order from Cook County Judge Franklin Valderrama. The city is bracing for outrage as city and faith leaders call for calm and peaceful protests.

McDonald's family released a statement: We [the family of Laquan McDonald] deeply appreciate the outpouring of love and support for Laquan. This is a difficult time for us. As we have said in the past, while we would prefer that the video not be released we understand that a court has ordered otherwise. We ask for calm in Chicago. No one understands the anger more than us but if you choose to speak out, we urge you to be peaceful. Don't resort to violence in Laquan's name. Let his legacy be better than that.

Starting Tuesday, all on-duty Chicago police officers are required to wear their uniforms, but none of the planned vacation days had been canceled.

Van Dyke, who has been on desk duty since the investigation into the shooting began, is the first on-duty Chicago police officer to be charged with first-degree murder. He turned himself over to authorities on Tuesday morning and left his gun with his wife, officials said.

Then, of course, the video was released, leading to demonstrators taking to the streets of Chicago tonight.

Part two.

Chicago (CNN)Protesters took to the streets of Chicago late Tuesday after police released a graphic dash-cam video showing an officer shooting 17-year-old Laquan McDonald.

McDonald was killed in October 2014. The city's mayor has called for peace.

"I believe this is a moment that can build bridges of understanding rather than become a barrier of misunderstanding. I understand that the people will be upset and will want to protest when they see this video," Mayor Rahm Emanuel said. "We as a city must rise to this moment."

Chicago has been preparing for protests in advance of the video's release, which was ordered by a judge to happen no later than Wednesday.

McDonald was a black teenager. The officer who shot him, Jason Van Dyke, is white.

He was charged Tuesday with first-degree murder in McDonald's death and is being held without bond.

Chicago Police Superintendent Garry McCarthy acknowledged that residents "have a right to be angry."

Soon after the video's release, a group of protesters began marching, chanting "16 shots" and "We got to fight back!" McDonald died after being shot 16 times.

The NAACP said that McDonald's family and the community deserve action.

"People have a right to be angry, people have a right to protest, people have a right to free speech," McCarthy said. "But they do not have a right to commit criminal acts."

And that's not even the whole story till now. Police officers, and possibly the department, are being accused of a cover-up in which 86 minutes of security video from a local Burger King that may have caught the shooting was edited by police after they asked to view it, and initial statements regarding how many times McDonald had been shot were outright lies, contradicted by the autopsy report. That last link also notes that this was all swept under the rug until a whistle-blower informed the press that dashcam video of the shooting existed.

In other words, the Chicago Police Department has now joined an infamous list that includes Ferguson, Baltimore, and the NYPD, only these guys seem to have been evern worse than all three of the rest combined. Not only was this shooting so blatantly unjustified that the City Council authorized a $5 million payout to the family before they even sued, but the cover-up by other officers shows that this isn't just one bad cop, but an entire department of cops (except for one anonymous whistle-blower) willing to break the law to cover for that bad cop. Now we can only hope that the justified anger of those in Chicago is not translated into violence and burning.

Thoughts?

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:13 pm

You know, I've said it like five million times.

Everyone hates it when the law is broken, this is true, but they get fucking furious at the cover up. If the police had done a thorough investigation and followed all the rules and procedures, there would not be demonstrators in the streets now. Because business was taken care of.

But they tried to cover it up. So here we are.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:15 pm

Galloism wrote:You know, I've said it like five million times.

Everyone hates it when the law is broken, this is true, but they get fucking furious at the cover up. If the police had done a thorough investigation and followed all the rules and procedures, there would not be demonstrators in the streets now. Because business was taken care of.

And that's a good part of it. It's not even rogue police who are the problem so much as it is a police culture that allows them to get away with these things.

Unified Heartless States
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 11, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Unified Heartless States » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:25 pm

Personly I hope for the worst riots yet, Chicago is currupt as fuck, though I doubt it since it's so close to TGing. That and I like watching dumb black people set fire to there homes. It's an early Christmas for me, just watched protesters attack a wall of bicycle and bike cops. If shit starts getting real, I'm recording it and I'll post it for you guys.

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 14, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Ostroeuropa » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:27 pm

Galloism wrote:You know, I've said it like five million times.

Pretty much this.

If cops did this shit and were arrested and such and put through the process, these incidents wouldn't attract attention.
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:30 pm

Unified Heartless States wrote:Personly I hope for the worst riots yet, Chicago is currupt as fuck, though I doubt it since it's so close to TGing. That and I like watching dumb black people set fire to there homes. It's an early Christmas for me, just watched protesters attack a wall of bicycle and bike cops. If shit starts getting real, I'm recording it and I'll post it for you guys.

That was an insanely idiotic post. You like watching "dumb black people set fire to their homes"? You like riots, destruction of property, and people lashing out in rage? Get in the fucking middle of it and see what you think. Don't bother posting shit if it means your further participation in this thread, please.

This isn't meant to be fun and games for sociopaths. These are real lives that have been affected, this is a serious issue in Chicago, and this is real pain that's going to be suffered by countless people, both physically and emotionally.

Rusozak
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 14, 2015

Postby Rusozak » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:31 pm

First of all, Laquan McDonald?

Second, I'm kind of surprised that, as a resident of the Chicago suburbs, this is the first I'm hearing of it. Or maybe I forgot... Teenagers get shot literally every single day in Chicago.
NOTE: This nation's government style, policies, and opinions in roleplay or forum 7 does not represent my true beliefs. It is purely for the enjoyment of the game.

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:32 pm

Rusozak wrote:First of all, Laquan McDonald?

Second, I'm kind of surprised that, as a resident of the Chicago suburbs, this is the first I'm hearing of it. Or maybe I forgot... Teenagers get shot literally every single day in Chicago.

Yes, Laquan McDonald. What about it?

Yes, teenagers get shot every day, often by cops. It's not that often that the truth about a shooting is revealed, though.

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:34 pm

Well, that's sad.

Like, why even try to hide things like this in a period when it's commonplace for these types of things to get revealed to the public anyway?
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:35 pm

Mavorpen wrote:Well, that's sad.

Like, why even try to hide things like this in a period when it's commonplace for these types of things to get revealed to the public anyway?

Police culture hasn't caught up to the technology yet.

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 14, 2006

Postby Ostroeuropa » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:36 pm

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
Rusozak wrote:First of all, Laquan McDonald?

Yes, Laquan McDonald. What about it?

Yes, teenagers get shot every day, often by cops. It's not that often that the truth about a shooting is revealed, though.

Also a major factor in causing the riots/protests and such.

Because justice is never achieved on all these cases, but they cannot be sure of a good cause and not getting egg on their face, all the tension from all those shootings builds until the cops inevitably fail to cover one up and BAM!!!!!

1000 dead black kids personal armies just turned up to protest the shooting of the black kid.
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

Exelia
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 30, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Exelia » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:36 pm

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:Yes, teenagers get shot every day, often by cops.

You don't know much about Chicago if you think it's primarily cops.

Not denying they are corrupt though.
Last edited by Exelia on Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The world is de jure American.

Dragonia Re Xzua
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 25, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Dragonia Re Xzua » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:36 pm

At this point, I've just stopped caring about who is doing what, who shot and killed who else. It's happening so frequently that I just give up trying to count the bodies of officers and civilians on the streets regarding the shootings.

Regarding the cover up, if there's one thing you can trust a cop to do, is to cover up his dirty mess and lie about it.
Humans are monsters, we will never change, we will always want to claw out the throats of those with a difference in opinion, we will never be in an age of peace because of our lust for war, poverty will continue to exist as long as monetary needs exist. We rape, enslave, and conquer with no regards to others. We live by the sword, and we will, justifiably, die by the sword.

Hope is for unrealistic idealists. Pessimism is your friend.

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:37 pm

Exelia wrote:
Yumyumsuppertime wrote:Yes, teenagers get shot every day, often by cops.

You don't know much about Chicago if you think it's primarily cops.

Sorry, not sure where I said "Primarily". I said "Often", which is a different word with different connotations and a different definition. Please don't put words in my mouth.

Qandaristania
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 27, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Qandaristania » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:38 pm

Chicago police is corrupt as fuck it seems. I mean, it's Chicago police, right?

All crap aside, he has no right to just shoot somebody suspicious without freaking investigation, detaining and all that stuff. But no, just shoot 'em and you'll be fine.
Soomaaliya: 3 men executed earlier today for treason
Somali Republic -- Jamhuuriyadda Soomaaliyeed -- الجمهورية الصومالية
Population: 30 million
Head of State: Zakaria Osman Adam
Military: 1,2 million in total
DEFCON: [4:]Small tensions
15 year old, Shafi'ite Sunni. Somalilander.
I am:
Pro: Palestine, Somaliland, Ba'athism (Iraqi), IRA, Rohingya
Neutral: FSA, Somalia,
Anti: Israel, Daesh, Ba'athism (Syrian), Iran, Saudi Arabia,
PROUD DRISELBIAN!
☪ Proud member of The International Islamic Coalition ☪ - Ittihad ☝ Tawheed ☝ Jihad! ☪
This nation is a Member of the Council of Islamic Cooperation!
Somalilander!ISIS is #1 enemy of IslamIslam =/=TerrorismSend me a telegram - I love them

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:38 pm

Dragonia Re Xzua wrote:At this point, I've just stopped caring about who is doing what, who shot and killed who else. It's happening so frequently that I just give up trying to count the bodies of officers and civilians on the streets regarding the shootings.

Regarding the cover up, if there's one thing you can trust a cop to do, is to cover up his dirty mess and lie about it.

I'm always amused (if grimly so in this case) at people who don't care so much about something that they feel the need to post about it.

Unified Heartless States
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 11, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Unified Heartless States » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:40 pm

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
Unified Heartless States wrote:Personly I hope for the worst riots yet, Chicago is currupt as fuck, though I doubt it since it's so close to TGing. That and I like watching dumb black people set fire to there homes. It's an early Christmas for me, just watched protesters attack a wall of bicycle and bike cops. If shit starts getting real, I'm recording it and I'll post it for you guys.

That was an insanely idiotic post. You like watching "dumb black people set fire to their homes"? You like riots, destruction of property, and people lashing out in rage? Get in the fucking middle of it and see what you think. Don't bother posting shit if it means your further participation in this thread, please.

Already am, I'm enjoying it and myself quite alot. That being said, I doubt it will last long so close to Thanksgiving.

This isn't meant to be fun and games for sociopaths. These are real lives that have been affected, this is a serious issue in Chicago, and this is real pain that's going to be suffered by countless people, both physically and emotionally.
Don't be naive, the first protesters organized too quickly. It quite obvious people made plans to protest long before the video was going to be made public.

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:40 pm

Qandaristania wrote:Chicago police is corrupt as fuck it seems. I mean, it's Chicago police, right?

All crap aside, he has no right to just shoot somebody suspicious without freaking investigation, detaining and all that stuff. But no, just shoot 'em and you'll be fine.

Yep, that does seem to be the case. And of course, the question that can't help but come up is this: "If they covered up this one, how many others have they covered up that are just as bad or worse?" The answer could be none, one, some, or many, but the fact that we don't know means that the police department has lost whatever legitimacy it held in the eyes of many in Chicago and elsewhere...if it was still viewed as having any, that is.

Exelia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Exelia » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:41 pm

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
Exelia wrote:You don't know much about Chicago if you think it's primarily cops.

Sorry, not sure where I said "Primarily". I said "Often", which is a different word with different connotations and a different definition. Please don't put words in my mouth.

The implication was quite clear, especially since there are never solutions for quelling crime in places like Engelwood, but people do like to focus on cop shootings.

Shootings are really the wrong things to focus on. They happen way too rarely (bout 400 a year) and the majority are justified. Police corruptions is much more amplified in other forms like false arrests, evidence planting etc.

Exelia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Exelia » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:41 pm

Qandaristania wrote:Chicago police is corrupt as fuck it seems. I mean, it's Chicago police, right?

They're not really anymore corrupt than the NYPD, or the LAPD. Big city cops tend to be corrupt as a general rule.

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:42 pm

Unified Heartless States wrote: Don't be naive, the first protesters organized too quickly. It quite obvious people made plans to protest long before the video was going to be made public.

That would be because it was hidden from them as well as the fact that the major contents of the video were already discussed repeatedly.
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:44 pm

Unified Heartless States wrote:
Yumyumsuppertime wrote:

Already am, I'm enjoying it and myself quite alot. That being said, I doubt it will last long so close to Thanksgiving.

Don't be naive, the first protesters organized too quickly. It quite obvious people made plans to protest long before the video was going to be made public.

I don't believe for a second that you're in the middle of anything. Also, protests organize very quickly over social media nowadays, especially when an event is anticipated, as this one was. I have no doubt that there were existing plans for a demonstration upon release if the footage was as bad as everyone had made it out to be.

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:49 pm

Exelia wrote:
Yumyumsuppertime wrote:

The implication was quite clear, especially since there are never solutions for quelling crime in places like Engelwood, but people do like to focus on cop shootings.

Shootings are really the wrong things to focus on. They happen way too rarely (bout 400 a year) and the majority are justified. Police corruptions is much more amplified in other forms like false arrests, evidence planting etc.

No, that wasn't the implication. That was the inference on your end. I cannot be held responsible for your decision to interpret a comment of mine incorrectly, especially when I specifically selected a word for a particular purpose ("Primarly" usually means "The major cause", whereas "Often" simply means "With some regularity", which would seem to be a reasonable conclusion for the city that tops all others in number of police shootings per year.

When the police are so comfortable with such a blatant cover-up that would never had come to light if it hadn't been for a single whistle-blower, I think that maybe police shootings in Chicago are at least one thing that needs focusing on.

Exelia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Exelia » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:51 pm

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
No, that wasn't the implication. That was the inference on your end. I cannot be held responsible for your decision to interpret a comment of mine incorrectly, especially when I specifically selected a word for a particular purpose ("Primarly" usually means "The major cause", whereas "Often" simply means "With some regularity", which would seem to be a reasonable conclusion for the city that tops all others in number of police shootings per year.

It really was not, and even using the word "often" to describe something that happened to 70 people, out of a city of 8 million, over 5-years is not what I would describe as "often". "Something that happens" is more appropriate.
Yumyumsuppertime wrote:When the police are so comfortable with such a blatant cover-up that would never had come to light if it hadn't been for a single whistle-blower, I think that maybe police shootings in Chicago are at least one thing that needs focusing on.

It doesn't really matter, because in that case it is also involving corruption on other ends. Things like Michael Brown where it wasn't really covered up are more what I'm talking about.

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:58 pm

Exelia wrote:
Yumyumsuppertime wrote:

It really was not, and even using the word "often" to describe something that happened to 70 people, out of a city of 8 million, over 5-years is not what I would describe as "often". "Something that happens" is more appropriate.
Yumyumsuppertime wrote:When the police are so comfortable with such a blatant cover-up that would never had come to light if it hadn't been for a single whistle-blower, I think that maybe police shootings in Chicago are at least one thing that needs focusing on.

It doesn't really matter, because in that case it is also involving corruption on other ends. Things like Michael Brown where it wasn't really covered up are more what I'm talking about.

"Often" is a relative term. If you don't like my usage of it, I'll find some way to live with that fact.

Michael Brown doesn't have a goddamned thing to do with this thread. That shooting was arguably justified, though whatever the Justice Department may have said, it's going to remain controversial in activist circles for years due to the actual proven racism and corrupt police culture in the Baltimore department. This shooting was blatantly unjustified, and only came to light because one person was willing to anonymously let the right people know that dashcam footage existed.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General