NATION

PASSWORD

Kids don't shower in high school anymore?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Gim
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 29, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Gim » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:25 pm

NERVUN wrote:My kids don't shower...

They're junior high school students. Imagine summer, hot, humid, Japanese summer. 36 kids. Right after swim class.

There's no A/C in my classrooms.

I have seriously thought about asking for a gasmask.

Buying multiple fans might help. That is what I used to do, because A/C can be costly. :p
All You Need to Know about Gim
Male, 17, Protestant Christian, British

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:28 pm

They're junior high school students. Imagine summer, hot, humid, Japanese summer. 36 kids. Right after swim class.

Ahhh... The joys of living in Asia. :lol:
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Gim
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Gim » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:29 pm

USS Monitor wrote:

When I used to be in Asia, there were people who took my shirt off and poured cold water on my back. I did the same to them as well. Very refreshing. :p

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:32 pm

Gim wrote:
USS Monitor wrote:

When I used to be in Asia, there were people who took my shirt off and poured cold water on my back. I did the same to them as well. Very refreshing. :p

Can you share your secret with the Chinese?
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

NERVUN
Retired Moderator

Founded: Mar 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby NERVUN » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:01 pm

Gim wrote:

Buying multiple fans might help. That is what I used to do, because A/C can be costly. :p

We DO have multiple fans. That just moves the funk of 36+ unwashed, sweaty teen bodies around the room till there. is. no. escape!
To those who feel, life is a tragedy. To those who think, it's a comedy.
"Men, today you'll be issued small trees. Do what you can for the emperor's glory." -Daistallia 2104 on bonsai charges in WWII
Science may provide the means while religion provides the motivation but humanity and humanity alone provides the vehicle -DaWoad

One-Stop Rules Shop, read it, love it, live by it. Getting Help Mod email: nervun@nationstates.net NSG Glossary
Add 10,145 to post count from Jolt: I have it from an unimpeachable source, that Dark Side cookies look like the Death Star. The other ones look like butterflies, or bunnies, or something.-Grave_n_Idle

Proud Member of FMGADHPAC. Join today!

Gim
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Gim » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:04 pm

USS Monitor wrote:
Gim wrote:

Can you share your secret with the Chinese?

I'd love to, but, unfortunately, I was in Korea. :p

Dakini
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Dakini » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:32 am

Japanese people don't usually smell nearly as bad. Unless your kids all have sticky ear wax* and bad BO, in which case that sucks and the problem is probably more the near lack of deodorant in this country than the kids swimming.

*There's a relationship between bad body odor and wet earwax, but in Japan a lot of people have dry earwax and don't smell quite as rank in the summer... they might all smell better with a bit of deodorant, but a lot of people don't wear it here and the Tokyo rush hour trains don't smell nearly as bad as you'd think in the summer.

edit to add: I mean, maybe the weather is better in Nagano than Tokyo, but if I even have to sprint a few hundred metres to catch my train, I'm really sweaty and disgusting. I wear deodorant though so I'm not especially stinky about it, but I import my deodorant from Canada because paying 1000 yen for some shitty deodorant of questionable quality with minimal or non-existent selection is not something I'd like to do.
Last edited by Dakini on Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Parhe
Powerbroker

Founded: May 10, 2011
Anarchy

Postby Parhe » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:08 am

My high and middle schools had showers but they were entirely optional for just PE and mainly for people in sports. Most people I knew who only took PE did not shower after their classes. For the most part, it seemed to be an issue with time more than not caring; PE classes usually ran up till five minutes before class officially ended, sometimes less, so students did not have the time. Because of a schedule mistake and my school changing around credits, I had to take PE my senior year of high school, second to last class of the day. I enjoyed it, easy class, time to run around, talk with people, of course exercise. I never got told I smelled after class, though, and all I did was wipe my sweat with a towel (new one every day) at the end of class.
Dakini wrote:

Japanese people don't usually smell nearly as bad. Unless your kids all have sticky ear wax* and bad BO, in which case that sucks and the problem is probably more the near lack of deodorant in this country than the kids swimming.

*There's a relationship between bad body odor and wet earwax, but in Japan a lot of people have dry earwax and don't smell quite as rank in the summer... they might all smell better with a bit of deodorant, but a lot of people don't wear it here and the Tokyo rush hour trains don't smell nearly as bad as you'd think in the summer.

edit to add: I mean, maybe the weather is better in Nagano than Tokyo, but if I even have to sprint a few hundred metres to catch my train, I'm really sweaty and disgusting. I wear deodorant though so I'm not especially stinky about it, but I import my deodorant from Canada because paying 1000 yen for some shitty deodorant of questionable quality with minimal or non-existent selection is not something I'd like to do.

Going to be honest, I was disgusted when I found out about wet earwax. It sort of explained how nasty earwax looked in American cartoons, as if everyone just got out of the pool and threw lint into their ears. I don't use deodorant, partly because I have never been told I smelled bad but mainly because I heard using deodorant does make you smell bad, over time. Not sure if it is true, but I heard it many times and I believe it happened to one of my old friends. Believe, because it might just be my mind reinforcing something I already believe about deodorant.
Hey, it is Parhe :D I am always open to telegrams.
I know it is a Work-In-Progress, but I would love it if y'all looked at my new factbook and gave me some feedback!

BRING BACK THE ICE CLIMBERS

Chinese Peoples
Minister

Founded: Dec 28, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Chinese Peoples » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:22 am

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:
The Phoenician League wrote:No, we don't. I'm a Junior, and the only people who are required to shower every single day are the swimmers and the wrestlers, in an effort to control fungus and skin infection transmissions. Besides, the periods only last for 54 minutes.

I wrestled in high school, and of course I showered. But P.E. in my school was P.E.! We didn't just sit an bullshit for an hour. :p

Wrestling was removed from the curriculum due to parental dissatisfaction with "propagation of a violent sport", but it was never a popular item anyway. We spent the time trying to nudge each other until they nudged back, or tried to remove people's socks. Not fun, really.
IC Title: the Republic of China | MT | Factbooks | the only democratic China on NS
The duty of the state is to prevent danger, not to punish it after it has happened. Rescind the 2nd Amendment, today.

Chinese Peoples
Minister

Founded: Dec 28, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Chinese Peoples » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:25 am

Gim wrote:

Not washing after swimming might be another issue as pool water is usually chlorinated. I'm not familiar with negative effects of chlorinated water, but I did usually shower after swimming class.
IC Title: the Republic of China | MT | Factbooks | the only democratic China on NS
The duty of the state is to prevent danger, not to punish it after it has happened. Rescind the 2nd Amendment, today.

Dakini
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dakini » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:36 am

Parhe wrote:
Dakini wrote:Japanese people don't usually smell nearly as bad. Unless your kids all have sticky ear wax* and bad BO, in which case that sucks and the problem is probably more the near lack of deodorant in this country than the kids swimming.

Going to be honest, I was disgusted when I found out about wet earwax. It sort of explained how nasty earwax looked in American cartoons, as if everyone just got out of the pool and threw lint into their ears.

I suspect that all ear wax is gross.

I don't use deodorant, partly because I have never been told I smelled bad but mainly because I heard using deodorant does make you smell bad, over time. Not sure if it is true, but I heard it many times and I believe it happened to one of my old friends. Believe, because it might just be my mind reinforcing something I already believe about deodorant.

No, deodorant doesn't make you smell worse over time. It mostly covers up or neutralizes the smell from bacteria in your armpits. If you don't need it, you're just adding some nice smell to your armpits.

Antiperspirant will block your sweat glands so you won't be able to sweat as much, but deodorant just gets rid of the smell.

Parhe
Powerbroker

Founded: May 10, 2011
Anarchy

Postby Parhe » Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:39 am

Dakini wrote:
Parhe wrote:Going to be honest, I was disgusted when I found out about wet earwax. It sort of explained how nasty earwax looked in American cartoons, as if everyone just got out of the pool and threw lint into their ears.

I suspect that all ear wax is gross.

I don't use deodorant, partly because I have never been told I smelled bad but mainly because I heard using deodorant does make you smell bad, over time. Not sure if it is true, but I heard it many times and I believe it happened to one of my old friends. Believe, because it might just be my mind reinforcing something I already believe about deodorant.

No, deodorant doesn't make you smell worse over time. It mostly covers up or neutralizes the smell from bacteria in your armpits. If you don't need it, you're just adding some nice smell to your armpits.

Antiperspirant will block your sweat glands so you won't be able to sweat as much, but deodorant just gets rid of the smell.

I find all ear wax gross for what it is, ear wax. But wet ear wax sounds like it feels all gushy and, well, moist and wet. Dry ear wax just feels like cracker crumbs.

Also, is antiperspirant used to like prevent sweat stains? I thought sweating was good otherwise.
Hey, it is Parhe :D I am always open to telegrams.
I know it is a Work-In-Progress, but I would love it if y'all looked at my new factbook and gave me some feedback!

BRING BACK THE ICE CLIMBERS

Dakini
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dakini » Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:41 am

Parhe wrote:
Dakini wrote:I suspect that all ear wax is gross.

I find all ear wax gross for what it is, ear wax. But wet ear wax sounds like it feels all gushy and, well, moist and wet. Dry ear wax just feels like cracker crumbs.

I'd say it's more sticky than "wet".

Also, is antiperspirant used to like prevent sweat stains? I thought sweating was good otherwise.

I've never found antiperspirant to do anything other than ruin my clothes, tbh. I switched to deodorant and now I just have sweat and deodorant on the pits and that comes out in the wash, unlike whatever is in antiperspirant.

The Nihilistic view
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 14, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Nihilistic view » Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:59 am

Well we got detention for skipping showering.
Slava Ukraini

Gim
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Gim » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:46 pm

Chinese Peoples wrote:
Gim wrote:

Not washing after swimming might be another issue as pool water is usually chlorinated. I'm not familiar with negative effects of chlorinated water, but I did usually shower after swimming class.

I heard chlorinated watrr can give you rashes, if not just give you dry skin.

Kraylandia
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 23, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Kraylandia » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:48 pm

The Nihilistic view wrote:Well we got detention for skipping showering.

And rightfully so.
You can call me Luci
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent..
Jello is my bored buddy!
Lito's NS wife

⚧Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology and know gender and sex aren't the same thing ⚧

Hugdom
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 02, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Hugdom » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:53 pm

Soldati senza confini wrote:
Hugdom wrote:
O please, as if the only way to prove your worth is by displaying athleticism or showing some will to exercise.

I can code fairly well, I make an effort to be cultured and understanding, I'm fairly good at making people feel comfortable, and I have an eye and feel for design.

I can use all of those productively into something that matters more than physical activity.

I can do a lot of things and still find some time to go exercise nowadays.

Not only because I need to get in shape and keep being in shape, but also because being in shape helps my health and how I feel about myself.

to each their own

I don't have to be fit to feel good about myself, I just have to be not fat and have little to no trouble attracting women.

Shamhnan Insir
Minister

Founded: Jul 08, 2013
Father Knows Best State

Postby Shamhnan Insir » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:54 pm

Yeah, after things like rugby we'd shower communally. That sure taught you a thing or two and beat the shit out of any early notions of homophobia.
Call me Sham

-"Governments may think and say as they like, but force cannot be eliminated, and it is the only real and unanswerable power. We are told that the pen is mightier than the sword, but I know which of these weapons I would choose." Sir Adrian Paul Ghislain Carton de Wiart VC, KBE, CB, CMG, DSO.

Nationalism is an infantile disease, it is the measles of humanity.
Darwinish Brentsylvania wrote:Shamhnan Insir started this wonderful tranquility, ALL PRAISE THE SHEPHERD KING

Khadgar
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Khadgar » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:00 pm

In middle school we had to shower after gym. 8th grade we move and in the new school district didn't require showering after gym and no one did. Not sure how the high school handled it as I took ROTC instead. Gods know we needed showers after PT but it wasn't an option. No big deal if you had RO seventh period, but if you had it second or third, fuck.

Gim
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Gim » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:01 pm

Shamhnan Insir wrote:Yeah, after things like rugby we'd shower communally. That sure taught you a thing or two and beat the shit out of any early notions of homophobia.

I hope that kind of communal shower practice exists in my school. :p

Demostopia
Attaché

Founded: Mar 25, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Demostopia » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:03 pm

Some did but i didn't
“Free will is a myth. Religion is a joke. We are all pawns, controlled by something greater: Memes. The DNA of the soul. They shape our will. They are the culture. They are everything we pass on.”

Lunatic Goofballs
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Lunatic Goofballs » Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:23 pm

Shamhnan Insir wrote:Yeah, after things like rugby we'd shower communally. That sure taught you a thing or two and beat the shit out of any early notions of homophobia.

I used to play rugby recreationally. I still would if I could scrounge up enough of my old friends. I like rugby players; they're all a little crazy. :)
Life's Short. Munch Tacos.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
Hunter S. Thompson

Shamhnan Insir
Minister

Founded: Jul 08, 2013
Father Knows Best State

Postby Shamhnan Insir » Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:53 pm

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:

I used to play rugby recreationally. I still would if I could scrounge up enough of my old friends. I like rugby players; they're all a little crazy. :)

Aye. A willingness to get; mud covered, hit other people, hit by other people, does seem to indicate a good little unhinged character.
Call me Sham

-"Governments may think and say as they like, but force cannot be eliminated, and it is the only real and unanswerable power. We are told that the pen is mightier than the sword, but I know which of these weapons I would choose." Sir Adrian Paul Ghislain Carton de Wiart VC, KBE, CB, CMG, DSO.

Nationalism is an infantile disease, it is the measles of humanity.
Darwinish Brentsylvania wrote:Shamhnan Insir started this wonderful tranquility, ALL PRAISE THE SHEPHERD KING

NERVUN
Retired Moderator

Founded: Mar 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby NERVUN » Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:43 pm

Dakini wrote:

It's drier (for a given value of dry. Everyone always says t me how dry Nagano is and I just have to look at them as if they are nuts, but then again, I'm from a desert).

That said, yes, while normally Japanese don't have the BO problem... teens do... God do they at least during summers.

And I am in total agreement with you about importing deodorant. The Japanese stuff... simply doesn't work.
To those who feel, life is a tragedy. To those who think, it's a comedy.
"Men, today you'll be issued small trees. Do what you can for the emperor's glory." -Daistallia 2104 on bonsai charges in WWII
Science may provide the means while religion provides the motivation but humanity and humanity alone provides the vehicle -DaWoad

One-Stop Rules Shop, read it, love it, live by it. Getting Help Mod email: nervun@nationstates.net NSG Glossary
Add 10,145 to post count from Jolt: I have it from an unimpeachable source, that Dark Side cookies look like the Death Star. The other ones look like butterflies, or bunnies, or something.-Grave_n_Idle

Proud Member of FMGADHPAC. Join today!

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Katganistan » Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:55 pm

Fartsniffage wrote:
Katganistan wrote:Back when I was in high school we only had locker rooms. The showers had been turned off years before.

And yes, kids come to my classroom reeking of Axe.

I think there should be sufficient time for students to shower.

You should invest in a bottle of febreeze and squirt the axe offenders when they come into your room....

Can't. I can't even keep a bottle of Windex to wash down desks, because someone might be allergic to it.

Which is why I don't get why kids who spray a ton of deodorant/cologne IN class are not censured in any way. THem's chems too.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General