NATION

PASSWORD

Segregated Bathrooms: A Problem?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Gim
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 29, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Gim » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:50 pm

Valystria wrote:
Stellonia wrote:Bathrooms are segregated according to sex, not according to gender.

No, it isn't. The signs don't say "male" and "female". The signs say "men's" and "women's". Bathrooms are gender segregated.

Stellonia wrote:Some people are uncomfortable using the restroom with people of the opposite other sex.

Then they should stop being sexists.

If someone said they're uncomfortable around black people, I'd call them a racist. You're doing the same thing about what sex a person happens to be of. That's sexism.

What's wrong with that? Men and women differ physically, psychologically, and physiologically. They can separate themselves when urinating or defecating. Instead of quashing the idea of sexism, in some sense, one must be able to embrace it.

Also, racism really should not be an issue, unless you are saying along the lines of dark-skinned people being subjugated, enslaved, or what not. In addition, people are entitled to be uncomfortable around here. One should be free to express one's feelings, let along expressing that in speech.
All You Need to Know about Gim
Male, 17, Protestant Christian, British

Valystria
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Valystria » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:34 pm

Gim wrote:
Valystria wrote:No, it isn't. The signs don't say "male" and "female". The signs say "men's" and "women's". Bathrooms are gender segregated.

Then they should stop being sexists.

If someone said they're uncomfortable around black people, I'd call them a racist. You're doing the same thing about what sex a person happens to be of. That's sexism.

What's wrong with that? Men and women differ physically, psychologically, and physiologically. They can separate themselves when urinating or defecating. Instead of quashing the idea of sexism, in some sense, one must be able to embrace it.

Also, racism really should not be an issue, unless you are saying along the lines of dark-skinned people being subjugated, enslaved, or what not. In addition, people are entitled to be uncomfortable around here. One should be free to express one's feelings, let along expressing that in speech.

Being different is not a reason to segregate.

There's no actual reason to have separate bathrooms. Other than your sexism. You're saying "because mah sexism, because I feel uncomfortable around people of the other sex". Get over it.
Last edited by Valystria on Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gim
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Gim » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:40 pm

Valystria wrote:
Gim wrote:What's wrong with that? Men and women differ physically, psychologically, and physiologically. They can separate themselves when urinating or defecating. Instead of quashing the idea of sexism, in some sense, one must be able to embrace it.

There's no actual reason to have separate bathrooms. Other than your sexism. You're saying "because mah sexism, because I feel uncomfortable around people of the other sex". Get over it.

You're not segregating. Just because you call someone black, white, or magenta doesn't mean you are avoiding or ostracizing them.

Unlike you, women feel uncomfortable sharing sinks and toilets with men. Personally, I don't mind, but some people do.

Siuts
Attaché

Founded: Sep 06, 2010
New York Times Democracy

Postby Siuts » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:56 pm

I'm all for mixed restrooms because I believe it will help narrow the gap of inequality between men and women. However; for the sake of practicality I would not recommend abolishing the urinals. Especially in places with large crowds like train stations, airports, theaters or a stadium urinals will help shorten waiting time at restrooms.
To build bridges between nations, besides an open mind a lot of travel is required

Proud member of The House of Wordiness

Valystria
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Valystria » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:56 pm

Gim wrote:
Valystria wrote:

You're not segregating. Just because you call someone black, white, or magenta doesn't mean you are avoiding or ostracizing them.

Having separate facilities for the white folks and the black folks is segregation. But I mean, no it's not really an issue. Blacks and whites are psychologically, physiologically and physically different. So let's segregate.
That same awful rationalization is what you're doing to come up with a reason for segregated bathrooms.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rationalization_(psychology)

You're using selectively applied fallacious reasoning.

Gim wrote:Unlike you, women feel uncomfortable sharing sinks and toilets with men. Personally, I don't mind, but some people do.

What? I am a woman.
Stop saying how women feel. You've already demonstrated your ineptness at stereotyping how men and women feel about unisex bathrooms.

Valystria wrote:
Gim wrote:
Women don't like sharing bathrooms with men. Men, I do not think, do not mind.

No, women and men won't mind using the same unisex room. Unless they are sexists. You're being sexist in your assumptions about people. There have been women in this thread in support of unisex rooms and men against unisex rooms. There goes your sexist and faulty stereotyping about what men and women want.

You haven't provided a single reason for why segregated bathrooms should exist. All you keep saying is "but women want this, but women want that, but I'm a sexist who is uncomfortable with unisex bathrooms."

Yeah, you don't have a real reason to be against unisex bathrooms. Other than your sexism and your rigid determination to stereotype men and women on how they feel about unisex bathrooms.

Being sexist is not a reason to segregate any more than racism is a reason to segregate.

Gim
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Gim » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:03 pm

Valystria wrote:
Gim wrote:

Having separate facilities for the white folks and the black folks is segregation. But I mean, no it's not really an issue. Blacks and whites are psychologically, physiologically and physically different. So let's segregate.
That same awful rationalization is what you're doing to come up with a reason for segregated bathrooms.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rationalization_(psychology)

You're using selectively applied fallacious reasoning.

Gim wrote:Unlike you, women feel uncomfortable sharing sinks and toilets with men. Personally, I don't mind, but some people do.

What? I am a woman.
Stop saying how women feel. You've already demonstrated your ineptness at stereotyping how men and women feel about unisex bathrooms.

Valystria wrote:No, women and men won't mind using the same unisex room. Unless they are sexists. You're being sexist in your assumptions about people. There have been women in this thread in support of unisex rooms and men against unisex rooms. There goes your sexist and faulty stereotyping about what men and women want.

You haven't provided a single reason for why segregated bathrooms should exist. All you keep saying is "but women want this, but women want that, but I'm a sexist who is uncomfortable with unisex bathrooms."

Yeah, you don't have a real reason to be against unisex bathrooms. Other than your sexism and your rigid determination to stereotype men and women on how they feel about unisex bathrooms.

Being sexist is not a reason to segregate any more than racism is a reason to segregate.

Racism is not segregation is what I am saying. Just because you joke around and call your dark-skinned friend, "black", does not mean you are segregating them.

Also, I don't see how separating men and women is sexism. Neither is considered inferior. You may be a woman, and you may be fine with sharing bathrooms, and I do, too, but some other people obviously have issues that go beyond those pertaining to privacy, thereby wanting bathrooms for separate genders.

Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:45 am

Gim wrote:Racism is not segregation is what I am saying. Just because you joke around and call your dark-skinned friend, "black", does not mean you are segregating them.

No but separating bathrooms/ whatever because some people might not be fine sharing that with black people is.

Gim wrote:Also, I don't see how separating men and women is sexism. Neither is considered inferior. You may be a woman, and you may be fine with sharing bathrooms, and I do, too, but some other people obviously have issues that go beyond those pertaining to privacy, thereby wanting bathrooms for separate genders.

Then those people have an option to a) get over themselves or b) hold it in until they get home to their presumably unisex bathroom. Society doesn't need to cater to every irrational whims of everyone especially when doing so is inefficient and unproductive.
Last edited by Great Nepal on Sun Nov 29, 1995 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 14, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Ostroeuropa » Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:47 am

Marty wrote:
Ostroeuropa wrote:
Yeh. I don't care about them.
I'm sure some whites preferred segregated restaurants.

Top quality rebuttal there, mate.

It pretty much is.
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

Petrolheadia
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 02, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Petrolheadia » Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:52 am

I think I would feel uncomfortable being in a restroom with women. Many people would also try peeking into the opposite sex toilets. And the urinals making lines smaller... We can put extra toilets in female restrooms.
Capitalism, single-payer healthcare, pro-choice, LGBT rights, progressive personal taxation, low corporate tax, pro-business law, welfare for those in need.
Nazism, edgism, dogmatic statements, most of Abrahamic-derived morality (esp. as law), welfare for those not in need.
We are not Albania and I am not Albanian, FFS!
Male, gearhead, classic rock fan, gamer, agnostic.
Not sure if left-libertarian, ex-libertarian or without a damn clue.
Where you can talk about cars!
"They're always saying I'm a Capitalist pig. I suppose I am, but, ah...it ah...it's good for my drumming, I think." - Keith Moon,
If a Porsche owner treats it like a bicycle, he's a gentleman. And if he prays to it, he's simply a moron. - Jan Nowicki.

The Vekta-Helghast Empire
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 14, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Vekta-Helghast Empire » Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:52 am

Is this thread just an attempt to maybe see someone of the opposite sex's booty before you die?

No but seriously, I genuinely don't know what to say to this, I mean, I don't like doing my business around strangers of the same sex, let alone the opposite sex. This to me is just absurd..

Oudland
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 19, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Oudland » Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:59 am

Did you read this post and try to assess how ridiculous you sound? I feel like I am on tumblr right now. I stopped taking this seriously when you started praddling on about the unfair advantages of urinals and how they should be taken away, you know, for everyone's sake. *sigh*

I hate the world I live in. America has no culture, it has no real traditions or values. I swear, a few years ago people used to express their liberal opinions (and most of the time I'd be inclined to agree with them) on here without sounding like they came from the cookie cutter tumblr white guilt man hating army. Nowadays, it's all the same. And it pisses me off.

To keep this relevent, no, gender segregated bathrooms are not a problem. Find something else to wail about.
Last edited by Oudland on Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:02 am, edited 3 times in total.
Utopia
New Amerik wrote:...and Barry said, "Let there be no Spam, and let my Mods rule the Forums, that there may be no Spam." And thus the Spam was Locked. And it was Good.

Gim
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Gim » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:04 am

The Vekta-Helghast Empire wrote:Is this thread just an attempt to maybe see someone of the opposite sex's booty before you die?

No but seriously, I genuinely don't know what to say to this, I mean, I don't like doing my business around strangers of the same sex, let alone the opposite sex. This to me is just absurd..

Apparently, some people here in this thread think people who object to a unifird bathroom should stop wishing for every bit of comfort they need in a segregated bathroom, because having it is costly and ineffective. :roll:

Oudland
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Oudland » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:10 am

Great Nepal wrote:Then those people have an option to a) get over themselves or b) hold it in until they get home to their presumably unisex bathroom. Society doesn't need to cater to every irrational whims of everyone especially when doing so is inefficient and unproductive.

Oh really? The EXACT same could be said of those who want bathrooms to be "desegregated".
And it would make for a better argument.
Utopia
New Amerik wrote:...and Barry said, "Let there be no Spam, and let my Mods rule the Forums, that there may be no Spam." And thus the Spam was Locked. And it was Good.

Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:16 am

Oudland wrote:
Great Nepal wrote:Then those people have an option to a) get over themselves or b) hold it in until they get home to their presumably unisex bathroom. Society doesn't need to cater to every irrational whims of everyone especially when doing so is inefficient and unproductive.

Oh really? The EXACT same could be said of those who want bathrooms to be "desegregated".

How exactly would desegregating bathrooms result in inefficiency?

Oudland
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Oudland » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:25 am

Great Nepal wrote:
Oudland wrote:

How exactly would desegregating bathrooms result in inefficiency?

It would probably be more efficient. But the argument is silly and, luckily, there aren't enough idiots out there to "unify the restrooms" of the nation. It sounds like a bad NS issue.

The part I meant was where you said, "Society doesn't need to cater to every irrational whim". I literally couldn't have said it any better.
Utopia

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:43 am

Oudland wrote:
Great Nepal wrote:How exactly would desegregating bathrooms result in inefficiency?

It would probably be more efficient. But the argument is silly and, luckily, there aren't enough idiots out there to "unify the restrooms" of the nation. It sounds like a bad NS issue.

The part I meant was where you said, "Society doesn't need to cater to every irrational whim". I literally couldn't have said it any better.

Explain how desegregating restrooms (which you just admitted would be more efficient) is irrational.
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent...
Freedom from religion is an integral part of Freedom of religion
Married to Koshka
USMC veteran MOS 0331/8152
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Ifreann: Odds are you're secretly a zebra with a very special keyboard.
Ostro: I think women need to be trained
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:47 am

Oudland wrote:
Great Nepal wrote:How exactly would desegregating bathrooms result in inefficiency?

Because efficiency is clearly irrational, perhaps we should get rid of factories and go back to more rational hand crafting everything while we are at it?

Oudland
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Oudland » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:57 am

Great Nepal wrote:
Oudland wrote:

Because efficiency is clearly irrational, perhaps we should get rid of factories and go back to more rational hand crafting everything while we are at it?

You know I wasn't calling efficiency irrational. But following your line of thought, in the name of efficiency, perhaps we should kill off all the old people. Right? I mean they're all cis scum anyway! And let's just combine all male and female genitalia too. The penis is the highest form of gender inequality, you know, so we will give everyone paginas!

That way men will have to sit when they pee it's not fair that they can just stand. If they refuse, we will cut them off at the legs. Literally and figuratively!

In the name of efficiency, let so do away with all notions of privacy. Let's forsake all rational thought in the name of equality! Let's be morons!

Everyone, follow me on my glorious ride to tumblr!

*mounts steed and gallops away*

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
Last edited by Oudland on Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Utopia

The Holy Therns
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 09, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Holy Therns » Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:03 am

Segregated bathrooms are certainly an inefficient use of space.
Platitude with attitude
Your new favorite.
MTF transperson. She/her. Lives in Sweden.
Also, N A N A ! ! !
Gallade wrote:Love, cake, wine and banter. No greater meaning to life (〜^∇^)〜

Ethel mermania wrote:to therns is to transend the pettiness of the field of play into the field of dreams.

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:10 am

Oudland wrote:
Great Nepal wrote:Because efficiency is clearly irrational, perhaps we should get rid of factories and go back to more rational hand crafting everything while we are at it?

You know I wasn't calling efficiency irrational.

Yes, you were. You admitted that desegregating restrooms was efficient, then you declared desegregating restrooms to be irrational.
Married to Koshka
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Oudland
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Oudland » Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:13 am

Dyakovo wrote:
Oudland wrote:
You know I wasn't calling efficiency irrational.

Yes, you were. You admitted that desegregating restrooms was efficient, then you declared desegregating restrooms to be irrational.

No, I wasn't. It would be efficient, but then what's to stop a pervy dude from ogling some poor young girl where she should be able to have her privacy when doing her business? And vice versa? But hey, taking away the urinal from men is totally rational.

It's not only irrational, it's moronic.
Utopia

Aelex
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Aelex » Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:15 am

The Holy Therns wrote:Segregated bathrooms are certainly an inefficient use of space.

How exactly would not segregated bathroom use less space than them given that they would need to be usable for the same amount of person each "segregated" bathroom was?
Citoyen Français. Bonapartiste Républicain (aka De Gaule's Gaullisme) with Keynesian leanings on economics. Latin Christian.

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:18 am

Oudland wrote:
Dyakovo wrote:Yes, you were. You admitted that desegregating restrooms was efficient, then you declared desegregating restrooms to be irrational.

No, I wasn't.

Your inability/unwillingness to see or admit it does not change reality.
It would be efficient, but then what's to stop a pervy dude from ogling some poor young girl where she should be able to have her privacy when doing her business? And vice versa?

Walls and doors.
But hey, taking away the urinal from men is totally rational.

The OP is the only one suggesting removing urinals. Removal of urinals is not a requirement for desegregating restrooms.
Married to Koshka

The Vekta-Helghast Empire
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 14, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Vekta-Helghast Empire » Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:18 am

Aelex wrote:
The Holy Therns wrote:Segregated bathrooms are certainly an inefficient use of space.

How exactly would not segregated bathroom use less space than them given that they would need to be usable for the same amount of person each "segregated" bathroom was?

Oudland
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Oudland » Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:22 am

Dyakovo wrote:
Oudland wrote:
No, I wasn't.

Your inability/unwillingness to see or admit it does not change reality.
It would be efficient, but then what's to stop a pervy dude from ogling some poor young girl where she should be able to have her privacy when doing her business? And vice versa?

Walls and doors.
But hey, taking away the urinal from men is totally rational.

The OP is the only one suggesting removing urinals. Removal of urinals is not a requirement for desegregating restrooms.

Men and women should not be forced to use the bathroom together. I wasn't arguing that it would be less efficient. Your continued assertions that I was are really, really annoying. You have a good day now, with your arguments on bathroom efficiency.

Lol
Last edited by Oudland on Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Utopia

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General