NATION

PASSWORD

2015 UK Politics Megathread

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Who would you _currently_ vote for?

Conservatives
21%
Labour
21%
Liberal Democrats
14%
UKIP
17%
Greens [England & Wales, Scotland, or NI]
11%
SNP
6%
Plaid Cymru
1%
Northern Ireland SF/SDLP
3%
Northern Ireland DUP/UUP
1%
Other (please explain)
5%

Total votes : 340

Illyiah
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jan 10, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Illyiah » Thu May 07, 2015 3:05 am

We'll likely end up with a hung Parliament and nothing will change for 5 years

Steamtopia
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 13, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Steamtopia » Thu May 07, 2015 3:05 am

Greater vakolicci haven wrote:
Steamtopia wrote:So you support direct democracy in the face of an increasingly complicated world because.. what? It feels nice? Mob rule is too cool for school?

Direct democracy is beneficial as it ensures the politicians are accountable to the people they're claiming to represent, and the people have no whip system so they're obligated to vote a certain way.

Politicians are accountable, that's what elections are for. Letting people vote directly on policy is not making politicians accountable. It's letting the majority rule over the minority no matter how smart of a decision they make. I want a smart government that benefits everyone even if they're unpopular, not the entire country voting on what to do every other day.
TG me. Just do it.

Steamtopia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Steamtopia » Thu May 07, 2015 3:06 am

Illyiah wrote:We'll likely end up with a hung Parliament and nothing will change for 5 years

A hung Parliament isn't likely, it's guaranteed.
TG me. Just do it.

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Founded: May 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Thu May 07, 2015 3:06 am

Illyiah wrote:We'll likely end up with a hung Parliament and nothing will change for 5 years

I suppose it's better than more anti-terror laws.
Join the rejected realms and never fear rejection again
NSG virtual happy hour this Saturday: join us on zoom, what could possibly go wrong?
“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.” - Thomas Jefferson
“Silent acquiescence in the face of tyranny is no better than outright agreement." - C.J. Redwine
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." - Jeff Cooper

Arglorand
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 08, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Arglorand » Thu May 07, 2015 3:06 am

The magical and most important number in this election is 59.
Last edited by Arglorand on Thu May 07, 2015 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kosovo is Morrowind. N'wah.
Impeach Dagoth Ur, legalise Daedra worship, the Empire is theft. Nerevarine 3E 427.

Pros: Dunmeri independence, abolition of the Empire, the Daedra, Morag Tong, House Redoran, Ashlander interests, abolitionism, Dissident Priests, canonisation of St. Jiub the Cliff Racer Slayer.
Cons: Imperials, the Empire, the False Tribunal, Dagoth Ur, House Hlaalu, Imperials, the Eight Divines, "Talos", "Nords", Imperial unionism, Imperials.

I am a: Social Democrat | Bright green | Republican | Intersectional feminist | Civic nationalist | Multiculturalist
(and i blatantly stole this from Old Tyrannia)

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Thu May 07, 2015 3:07 am

Steamtopia wrote:
Greater vakolicci haven wrote:Direct democracy is beneficial as it ensures the politicians are accountable to the people they're claiming to represent, and the people have no whip system so they're obligated to vote a certain way.

Politicians are accountable, that's what elections are for. Letting people vote directly on policy is not making politicians accountable. It's letting the majority rule over the minority no matter how smart of a decision they make. I want a smart government that benefits everyone even if they're unpopular, not the entire country voting on what to do every other day.

So you'd prefer the SNP supporting a government then? They shouldn't even be allowed to vote on English laws.
NSG virtual happy hour this Saturday: join us on zoom, what could possibly go wrong?
“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.” - Thomas Jefferson
“Silent acquiescence in the face of tyranny is no better than outright agreement." - C.J. Redwine
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." - Jeff Cooper

Illyiah
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Illyiah » Thu May 07, 2015 3:07 am

I suppose it's better than more anti-terror laws.

But it also means our benefits system will remain grossly over-funded :(

Steamtopia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Steamtopia » Thu May 07, 2015 3:07 am

Arglorand wrote:The magical and most important number in this election is 59.

I wouldn't bet on 59 exactly.
TG me. Just do it.

Steamtopia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Steamtopia » Thu May 07, 2015 3:08 am

Steamtopia wrote:Politicians are accountable, that's what elections are for. Letting people vote directly on policy is not making politicians accountable. It's letting the majority rule over the minority no matter how smart of a decision they make. I want a smart government that benefits everyone even if they're unpopular, not the entire country voting on what to do every other day.

So you'd prefer the SNP supporting a government then? They shouldn't even be allowed to vote on English laws.

Where'd you pull SNP out of that post?
TG me. Just do it.

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Thu May 07, 2015 3:08 am

Illyiah wrote:
Greater vakolicci haven wrote:I suppose it's better than more anti-terror laws.

Better than a labour government that can over-tax the rich.

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Thu May 07, 2015 3:09 am

Steamtopia wrote:
Greater vakolicci haven wrote:So you'd prefer the SNP supporting a government then? They shouldn't even be allowed to vote on English laws.

Where'd you pull SNP out of that post?

You're arguing for the 'sensible' government making decisions. The government won't be sensible.

Illyiah
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Illyiah » Thu May 07, 2015 3:09 am

Illyiah wrote:

Better than a labour government that can over-tax the rich.

Indeed

Steamtopia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Steamtopia » Thu May 07, 2015 3:10 am

Steamtopia wrote:Where'd you pull SNP out of that post?

You're arguing for the 'sensible' government making decisions. The government won't be sensible.

I'm not arguing for any specific government. I'm arguing for government as a concept. MP's actually have the time and resources to research before deciding on policy. People do not.
TG me. Just do it.

Purger
Envoy

Founded: May 05, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Purger » Thu May 07, 2015 3:11 am

Steamtopia wrote:
Purger wrote:Will there be an EU referendum if the Torries win?

The Tories won't win, so it's not even a question worth asking.

Polls shows something else. They will be tied with the Labours and even most polls are usually biased in favour of left-wing parties across Europe.

But let say C. somehow manages to form a coalition government there must than be a referendum as he promised so.

Steamtopia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Steamtopia » Thu May 07, 2015 3:12 am

Purger wrote:
Steamtopia wrote:The Tories won't win, so it's not even a question worth asking.

Polls shows something else. They will be tied with the Labours and even most polls are usually biased in favour of left-wing parties across Europe.

But let say C. somehow manages to form a coalition government there must than be a referendum as he promised so.

Polls aren't biased in favour of left-wing parties (not that Labour is left-wing anymore anyway). Tories being tied means they have nobody to coalition with. Who will join them in government, exactly? The SNP? Get real.
TG me. Just do it.

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Thu May 07, 2015 3:14 am

Steamtopia wrote:
Greater vakolicci haven wrote:You're arguing for the 'sensible' government making decisions. The government won't be sensible.

I'm not arguing for any specific government. I'm arguing for government as a concept. MP's actually have the time and resources to research before deciding on policy. People do not.

They don't need to consider it very well, because they are a very large group of people. The very large group of people are far more qualified than 650 people usually from very similar backgrounds.

Steamtopia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Steamtopia » Thu May 07, 2015 3:15 am

Steamtopia wrote:I'm not arguing for any specific government. I'm arguing for government as a concept. MP's actually have the time and resources to research before deciding on policy. People do not.

They don't need to consider it very well, because they are a very large group of people. The very large group of people are far more qualified than 650 people usually from very similar backgrounds.

What? Since when do large groups automatically make good decisions? What kind of nonsense is this?
TG me. Just do it.

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Thu May 07, 2015 3:15 am

Steamtopia wrote:
Purger wrote:Polls shows something else. They will be tied with the Labours and even most polls are usually biased in favour of left-wing parties across Europe.

Polls aren't biased in favour of left-wing parties (not that Labour is left-wing anymore anyway). Tories being tied means they have nobody to coalition with. Who will join them in government, exactly? The SNP? Get real.

Hopefully both Labour and the Tories won't work with the SNP, and we'll have another election this year.

Steamtopia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Steamtopia » Thu May 07, 2015 3:16 am

Steamtopia wrote:Polls aren't biased in favour of left-wing parties (not that Labour is left-wing anymore anyway). Tories being tied means they have nobody to coalition with. Who will join them in government, exactly? The SNP? Get real.

Hopefully both Labour and the Tories won't work with the SNP, and we'll have another election this year.

Labour can still form a coalition without the SNP. Now, if the Lib Dems and the SNP refuse to sign any deal with Labour, that's when we'll see another election.
TG me. Just do it.

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Thu May 07, 2015 3:16 am

Steamtopia wrote:
Greater vakolicci haven wrote:They don't need to consider it very well, because they are a very large group of people. The very large group of people are far more qualified than 650 people usually from very similar backgrounds.

What? Since when do large groups automatically make good decisions? What kind of nonsense is this?

It's why we have elections in the first place, so the people can choose a candidate. Instead, the people should choose a large amount of the laws.

Steamtopia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Steamtopia » Thu May 07, 2015 3:17 am

Steamtopia wrote:What? Since when do large groups automatically make good decisions? What kind of nonsense is this?

It's why we have elections in the first place, so the people can choose a candidate. Instead, the people should choose a large amount of the laws.

We have elections because there's no other method of transferring power peacefully. Policy-making is not power transferal.
TG me. Just do it.

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Thu May 07, 2015 3:17 am

Steamtopia wrote:
Greater vakolicci haven wrote:Hopefully both Labour and the Tories won't work with the SNP, and we'll have another election this year.

Labour can still form a coalition without the SNP. Now, if the Lib Dems and the SNP refuse to sign any deal with Labour, that's when we'll see another election.

The Lib Dems will probably form a coalition with anyone, if Clegg is in charge, especially with the large amount of leftwing lib dems that left.

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Thu May 07, 2015 3:18 am

Steamtopia wrote:
Greater vakolicci haven wrote:It's why we have elections in the first place, so the people can choose a candidate. Instead, the people should choose a large amount of the laws.

We have elections because there's no other method of transferring power peacefully. Policy-making is not power transferal.

The power wouldn't need to be transferred, because it'd be in the hands of the people who are directly affected by it.

Steamtopia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Steamtopia » Thu May 07, 2015 3:18 am

Steamtopia wrote:Labour can still form a coalition without the SNP. Now, if the Lib Dems and the SNP refuse to sign any deal with Labour, that's when we'll see another election.

The Lib Dems will probably form a coalition with anyone, if Clegg is in charge, especially with the large amount of leftwing lib dems that left.

Which is why I listed LibLab w/ an SNP deal as the most likely.
TG me. Just do it.

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Thu May 07, 2015 3:19 am

Steamtopia wrote:
Greater vakolicci haven wrote:The Lib Dems will probably form a coalition with anyone, if Clegg is in charge, especially with the large amount of leftwing lib dems that left.

Which is why I listed LibLab w/ an SNP deal as the most likely.

But I can see the SNP kicking up a fuss if labour don't do exactly what they want.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General