NATION

PASSWORD

Free the nipple:should women be able to go topless in public

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Should women be allowed to 'go topless' in areas where men are allowed the same privilege?

Yes
69%
No
31%

Total votes : 629

Lyrian Oligarchic Royal Empire
Minister

Founded: Apr 07, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Lyrian Oligarchic Royal Empire » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:28 am

Arcturus Novus wrote:I personally don't care to see anyone shirtless in public, but I think it'd be fair for anyone to not wear shirts if they so desire.

In all places where acceptable, I don't want people not wearing shirts into restaurants (that have a form of dress expectations, I'm not talking McDonald's here) or such. There should still be the expected social courtesies enforceable on private property.

Stormwind-City
Minister

Founded: Dec 31, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Stormwind-City » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:30 am

Lyrian Oligarchic Royal Empire wrote:
Arcturus Novus wrote:I personally don't care to see anyone shirtless in public, but I think it'd be fair for anyone to not wear shirts if they so desire.

In all places where acceptable, I don't want people not wearing shirts into restaurants (that have a form of dress expectations, I'm not talking McDonald's here) or such. There should still be the expected social courtesies enforceable on private property.

That would enter the grounds of the health department and avoiding lawsuits for spilling hot food on someone without a shirt.
I am a woman.
Ambassador Alyssa Brightspark(Yes, a gnome)
Extra!Extra!: King dead at 89! Prince abdicates! Adopted Vanessa heir presumptive! (See FB)
Now Officially a funny poster:
If you have any questions/comments, or just need someone to talk to and a shoulder to cry on, TG me. I'll be happy to help.

Old Tyrannia
Game Moderator

Founded: Aug 11, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby Old Tyrannia » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:30 am

Dain II Ironfoot wrote:Why on earth should i explain myself for your redicilous claims?

You can dismiss my arguments as "redicilous" [sic] all you like, but doing so is not a replacement for an actual counterargument.
"you are part of a society in which social convention and etiquette regard female shirtlessness as inappropriate"
You obviously hate the ones that live their own lives the way they wan to. Instead you prefer to see some black and white slavery where everybody followes the "rules"

Yeah, imagine a society where people didn't do whatever they wanted to whenever they wanted to, but followed rules and thought about other people. How lame would that be?
Alot of stuff used to be taboo once, but aren't anymore (tattoo's, divorce, not going to church, Fornication ect.), Even Incest is becoming more and more accepted, so please tell me the true reason why you hate women without a shirt, cause the whole "taboo" reason is just a pathetic one.

I also happen to be in favour of people covering their tattoos up in public. None of the other things you mentioned would directly affect me if I were to pass by the person in the street, but if the person were shirtless I'd notice and being brought up in a culture where shirtlessness is a social taboo, that would make me feel uncomfortable. There is a world of difference between something which is someone else's private business and acting or dressing a certain way in public where people have one's personal choice to run around half naked thrown in their face, whether they like it or not.
Stormwind-City wrote:2) Someone being topless harms nobody

It makes other people feel uncomfortable, which is harming them in a way.
3) The current standards of dress are extremely new in human history, they are not old at all.

Just because what is now considered polite was not always considered polite does not mean that we should dispense with politeness altogether.
4) Social etiquette based on "because it is what it is" is a very bad argument. Social etiquette also used to dictate the hanging of thieves, the stoning of adulterers and the burning of witches.

What this statement tells me is that you are unaware of what etiquette means and equate it with societal attitudes in general.
5) Unless society is now a hive-mind, by your definition everyone is anti-social in some way.

I don't follow.
"Classicist in literature, royalist in politics, and Anglo-Catholic in religion" (T.S. Eliot). Still, unaccountably, a NationStates Moderator.
"Have I done something for the general interest? Well then, I have had my reward. Let this always be present to thy mind, and never stop doing such good." - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations (Book XI, IV)
⚜ GOD SAVE THE KING

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Lyrian Oligarchic Royal Empire » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:32 am

Stormwind-City wrote:
Lyrian Oligarchic Royal Empire wrote:In all places where acceptable, I don't want people not wearing shirts into restaurants (that have a form of dress expectations, I'm not talking McDonald's here) or such. There should still be the expected social courtesies enforceable on private property.

That would enter the grounds of the health department and avoiding lawsuits for spilling hot food on someone without a shirt.

"What led to you spilling coffee on my client?"
"She has huge....tracts of land!"

The New Sea Territory
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 13, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The New Sea Territory » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:33 am

Old Tyrannia wrote:Yeah, imagine a society where people didn't do whatever they wanted to whenever they wanted to, but followed rules and thought about other people. How lame would that be?

Breaking rules is sometimes the best way to care for other people.
| Ⓐ | Anarchist Communist | Heideggerian Marxist | Vegetarian | Bisexual | Stirnerite | Slavic/Germanic Pagan | ᛟ |
Solntsa Roshcha --- Postmodern Poyltheist
"Christianity had brutally planted the poisoned blade in the healthy, quivering flesh of all humanity; it had goaded a cold wave
of darkness with mystically brutal fury to dim the serene and festive exultation of the dionysian spirit of our pagan ancestors."
-Renzo Novatore, Verso il Nulla Creatore

Stormwind-City
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Stormwind-City » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:34 am

Old Tyrannia wrote:
Dain II Ironfoot wrote:Why on earth should i explain myself for your redicilous claims?

You can dismiss my arguments as "redicilous" [sic] all you like, but doing so is not a replacement for an actual counterargument.
"you are part of a society in which social convention and etiquette regard female shirtlessness as inappropriate"
You obviously hate the ones that live their own lives the way they wan to. Instead you prefer to see some black and white slavery where everybody followes the "rules"

Yeah, imagine a society where people didn't do whatever they wanted to whenever they wanted to, but followed rules and thought about other people. How lame would that be?
Alot of stuff used to be taboo once, but aren't anymore (tattoo's, divorce, not going to church, Fornication ect.), Even Incest is becoming more and more accepted, so please tell me the true reason why you hate women without a shirt, cause the whole "taboo" reason is just a pathetic one.

I also happen to be in favour of people covering their tattoos up in public. None of the other things you mentioned would directly affect me if I were to pass by the person in the street, but if the person were shirtless I'd notice and being brought up in a culture where shirtlessness is a social taboo, that would make me feel uncomfortable. There is a world of difference between something which is someone else's private business and acting or dressing a certain way in public where people have one's personal choice to run around half naked thrown in their face, whether they like it or not.

3) The current standards of dress are extremely new in human history, they are not old at all.

Just because what is now considered polite was not always considered polite does not mean that we should dispense with politeness altogether.
4) Social etiquette based on "because it is what it is" is a very bad argument. Social etiquette also used to dictate the hanging of thieves, the stoning of adulterers and the burning of witches.

What this statement tells me is that you are unaware of what etiquette means and equate it with societal attitudes in general.
5) Unless society is now a hive-mind, by your definition everyone is anti-social in some way.

I don't follow.

2) That is a bullshit excuse and you know it. People who wear bright neon colors make me uncomfortable but I don't demand that those colors be banned.
3) The current puritanical standards of dress are not a result of trying to be polite
4) I know what etiquette is. It's behavior pushed by old men who don't like it when people act differently.
5) Everyone does things not all of society would consider ok or 'normal'
I am a woman.
Extra!Extra!: King dead at 89! Prince abdicates! Adopted Vanessa heir presumptive! (See FB)
If you have any questions/comments, or just need someone to talk to and a shoulder to cry on, TG me. I'll be happy to help.

Old Tyrannia
Game Moderator

Father Knows Best State

Postby Old Tyrannia » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:35 am

The New Sea Territory wrote:
Old Tyrannia wrote:Yeah, imagine a society where people didn't do whatever they wanted to whenever they wanted to, but followed rules and thought about other people. How lame would that be?

In certain unusual circumstances, maybe. Not in these circumstances. Let us end this line of thought before it evolves into a fully-fledged threadjack.
Stormwind-City wrote:2) That is a bullshit excuse and you know it. People who wear bright neon colors make me uncomfortable but I don't demand that those colors be banned.

I don't think it should be banned, I think people should refrain from doing it and society should place pressure on those who do it to desist.
3) The current puritanical standards of dress are not a result of trying to be polite

>"current"
>"puritanical"
4) I know what etiquette is. It's behavior pushed by old men who don't like it when people act differently.

I was not aware that as a 19-year-old, I qualified as an old man. It depresses me that you genuinely consider being polite something only old men advocate, but it would explain a great deal if this mindset were common on NationStates.

As long as they don't do it in front of me, I don't give a shit.
Last edited by Old Tyrannia on Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Classicist in literature, royalist in politics, and Anglo-Catholic in religion" (T.S. Eliot). Still, unaccountably, a NationStates Moderator.
"Have I done something for the general interest? Well then, I have had my reward. Let this always be present to thy mind, and never stop doing such good." - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations (Book XI, IV)
⚜ GOD SAVE THE KING

Stormwind-City
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Stormwind-City » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:46 am

Old Tyrannia wrote:
The New Sea Territory wrote:

In certain unusual circumstances, maybe. Not in these circumstances. Let us end this line of thought before it evolves into a fully-fledged threadjack.
Stormwind-City wrote:2) That is a bullshit excuse and you know it. People who wear bright neon colors make me uncomfortable but I don't demand that those colors be banned.

I don't think it should be banned, I think people should refrain from doing it and society should place pressure on those who do it to desist.

>"current"
>"puritanical"

I was not aware that as a 19-year-old, I qualified as an old man. It depresses me that you genuinely consider being polite something only old men advocate, but it would explain a great deal if this mindset were common on NationStates.

As long as they don't do it in front of me, I don't give a shit.

2) So you advocate turning society into a mindless herd of sheep? Ok.
3) Yes, the current standards are holdovers from the puritans and the Victorian age.
4) "Being polite" is not the same as enforcing your mindset on how people should behave
5) Good. At least you're not completely in favor of a domineering state which dictates how everyone should act and behave.
I am a woman.

Greater-London
Senator

Founded: Nov 30, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater-London » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:47 am

Of course. Although I do wonder how often aside from the case brought up here this is actually enforced? I mean I remember in the summer going to festivals, the beech ETC a lot of women where topless and nobody cared and nobody was fined/arrested. It seems to me more of a social issue than a legal one.
Born in Cambridge in 1993, just graduated with a 2.1 in Politics and International Relations from the University of Manchester - WHICH IS SICK

PRO: British Unionism, Commonwealth, Liberalism, Federalism, Palestine, NHS, Decriminalizing Drugs, West Ham UTD , Garage Music &, Lager
ANTI: EU, Smoking Ban, Tuition Fees, Conservatism, Crypto-Fascist lefties, Hypocrisy, Religious Fanaticism, Religion Bashing & Armchair activists

Economic Left/Right: 0.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.87

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Lyrian Oligarchic Royal Empire » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:49 am

Greater-London wrote:Of course. Although I do wonder how often aside from the case brought up here this is actually enforced? I mean I remember in the summer going to festivals, the beech ETC a lot of women where topless and nobody cared and nobody was fined/arrested. It seems to me more of a social issue than a legal one.

In the US, you *can* be fined for public indecency for daring to possess enlarged mammies and no shirt.

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 05, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:49 am

Greater-London wrote:Of course. Although I do wonder how often aside from the case brought up here this is actually enforced? I mean I remember in the summer going to festivals, the beech ETC a lot of women where topless and nobody cared and nobody was fined/arrested. It seems to me more of a social issue than a legal one.

IIRC, laws change from state to state.

Old Tyrannia
Game Moderator

Father Knows Best State

Postby Old Tyrannia » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:52 am

Stormwind-City wrote:2) So you advocate turning society into a mindless herd of sheep? Ok.

If wearing clothes in public makes one a mindless sheep, then yes, absolutely.
3) Yes, the current standards are holdovers from the puritans and the Victorian age.

Current standards are much more lax than those of the Victorian era. I would love Victorian attitudes to proper dress to be the norm, but they're not and I live with that.
4) "Being polite" is not the same as enforcing your mindset on how people should behave

It's not merely my mindset, it is the widely accepted, socially correct way to behave. Society is structured on rules, etiquette and social conventions; dismiss those and society breaks down.
5) Good. At least you're not completely in favor of a domineering state which dictates how everyone should act and behave.

I'm not in favour of a domineering state at all. I'm in favour of a less individualistic, more conservative and courteous society.
⚜ GOD SAVE THE KING

Dain II Ironfoot
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 01, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Dain II Ironfoot » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:55 am

Lyrian Oligarchic Royal Empire wrote:

I don't think that would be an issue though as restourants can refuse them. Its just a matter of keeping hygenestandards high.

Old Tyrannia wrote:

I don't follow.

1) I'm not going to make a counterargument for something that isn't even a real argument.
2) Pretty damn lame as that country would be the first to turn into a dictatorship, becouse you know, follow the rules...
3) Ah, now i get your problem, you just want things your way and you don't want to take other people's wishes into account becouse they make you feel uncomfortable. In such case, stay indoors and don't come out. Things will change eventually wether you like it or not. Everybody has things he/she doesn't feel comfortable with but that doesn't mean they are against it or that they would forbid it. Just that it makes you uncomfortable doesn't mean it makes everybody uncomfortable. If we should make everything illegal becouse somebody feels uncomfortable with it then we could pretty much make everything illegal.
A Dwarf is not short, he is concentrated in every aspect.
Tradition must be respected, for it is the voice of our ancestors.
There's nothing as sure in the world as the glitter of gold, and the treachery of Elves.
Tanar Durin Nur!

Stormwind-City
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Stormwind-City » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:59 am

Old Tyrannia wrote:
Stormwind-City wrote:2) So you advocate turning society into a mindless herd of sheep? Ok.

If wearing clothes in public makes one a mindless sheep, then yes, absolutely.

Current standards are much more lax than those of the Victorian era. I would love Victorian attitudes to proper dress to be the norm, but they're not and I live with that.

It's not merely my mindset, it is the widely accepted, socially correct way to behave. Society is structured on rules, etiquette and social conventions; dismiss those and society breaks down.

I'm not in favour of a domineering state at all. I'm in favour of a less individualistic, more conservative and courteous society.

2) This mindset of 'everyone must conform' leads to exactly that
3) Yes, and the standards would be different for the better if people back then weren't so ignorant and close-minded
4) Society can be wrong, and it can change. This false dichotomy that if society changes the downfall of the social order will occur is stupid. Sometimes the only way to change society is to do things people don't like.
5) Individuality is freedom, conservatism is relative and bad for social progression, 'courtesy' is subjective and in my opinion also a social road block.
I am a woman.

Twilight Imperium
Minister

Founded: May 19, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Twilight Imperium » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:13 am

Old Tyrannia wrote:I'm bowled over by your spectacular debating skills.

I'm saying the same thing you are, but more efficiently. :)

Aahmerica
Envoy

Founded: Jul 27, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Aahmerica » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:16 am

Scomagia wrote:
Aahmerica wrote:
Because I like breasts, like, a lot, ever since i was little. If women were to walk around topless, I'd stare. Therefore, I'd never leave the house.
God forbid I offend someone.

Well, being a lech is rather offensive, yes. Maybe you should learn how to behave in a civilized society.

I'd rather shut myself away rather than change for society.
Fuck people.
Last edited by Aahmerica on Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bezkoshtovnya
Senator

Founded: Sep 06, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Bezkoshtovnya » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:18 am

Aahmerica wrote:
Scomagia wrote:Well, being a lech is rather offensive, yes. Maybe you should learn how to behave in a civilized society.

I'd rather shut myself away rather than change for society.
Fuck people.

Acting with basic civility should not be a change of character for someone. It should be common sense.
Dante Alighieri wrote:There is no greater sorrow than to recall happiness in times of misery
Charlie Chaplin wrote:Nothing is permanent in this wicked world, not even our troubles.
ΦΣK
------------------

Independent State AF
Ambassador

Founded: May 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Independent State AF » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:21 am

Ofcourse they should :B
If for no other reason than I get to oogle.
Hehehehe.
When IC please refer to my nation as The ISAF
Official Member of the Universal Technology Alliance!
HUMAN AND A MEMBER OF THE MULTI-SPECIES UNION!
Proud member of The Anti Democracy League
ISFJ (The Nurturer) Personality type
Pro: LGBT Rights,UK/US, Big Defense Spending, Authoritarian/Totalitarian/Fascist Government, Pro-Choice, Nationalism, Robotics, Imperial US, VOCALOID (Google it).
Anti: Religion, Homophobia/Transphobia
Want my IC Stats? Look here! We grow ever stronger! http://www.broomdces.com/nseconomy/nations.php?nation=Independent+State+AF

Kainesia
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 25, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Kainesia » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:26 pm

OH HELL YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
A radical centrist. Atheist, English, enjoys roast babies with chips.

PRO: Science,capitalism,and all that stuff

ANTI:Religion, socialism and all that jazz

Lucasfjalla
Lobbyist

Founded: Feb 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Lucasfjalla » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:31 pm

If they want, let them go.
But I believe it less of a double standart and more of a cultural quirk.
Ég er
inní þér.

Shamhnan Insir
Minister

Founded: Jul 08, 2013
Father Knows Best State

Postby Shamhnan Insir » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:41 pm

In reading the article mentioned on the front end of this thread, I find it strange how the author argues that males going shirtless is somehow sexist. I don't tip-toe around the place and worry about who I could possibly offend by the colour of my shirt or even my shirtlessness. And to be honest my brain doesn't have the time or energy to worry over possible moral dilemmas of shirts.

In the words of Saxton Hale : Shirts are to damn constricting!
Call me Sham

-"Governments may think and say as they like, but force cannot be eliminated, and it is the only real and unanswerable power. We are told that the pen is mightier than the sword, but I know which of these weapons I would choose." Sir Adrian Paul Ghislain Carton de Wiart VC, KBE, CB, CMG, DSO.

Nationalism is an infantile disease, it is the measles of humanity.
Darwinish Brentsylvania wrote:Shamhnan Insir started this wonderful tranquility, ALL PRAISE THE SHEPHERD KING

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:48 pm

Shamhnan Insir wrote:In reading the article mentioned on the front end of this thread, I find it strange how the author argues that males going shirtless is somehow sexist. I don't tip-toe around the place and worry about who I could possibly offend by the colour of my shirt or even my shirtlessness. And to be honest my brain doesn't have the time or energy to worry over possible moral dilemmas of shirts.

In the words of Saxton Hale : Shirts are to damn constricting!

You seriously don't see how men being allowed to go shirtless while women are not in the exact same situation is a sexist policy?
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent...
Freedom from religion is an integral part of Freedom of religion
Married to Koshka
USMC veteran MOS 0331/8152
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Ifreann: Odds are you're secretly a zebra with a very special keyboard.
Ostro: I think women need to be trained
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 11, 2004
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:26 pm

Lucasfjalla wrote:If they want, let them go.
But I believe it less of a double standart and more of a cultural quirk.

It's possible to be both. It may be a cultural quirk, but it's definitely a double standard.
I identify as
a problem

The Alexanderians
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 03, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alexanderians » Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:51 pm

Dain II Ironfoot wrote:I always find it amusing how people from the US (not all but alot) are obsessed with breasts compared to people from (not all but alot) Europe.
Breasts are breasts, nothing to be obsessed with nor is there anything special about them. Women should just be allowed to walk topless, after three summers nobody will notice it anymore.

You assume however that every woman (or at least most of them) would choose to go topless if they were allowed to, the fact is many of them wouldn't feel comfortable doing so.
Galloism wrote:Or we can go with feminism doesn't exist. We all imagined it. Collectively.
You can't fight the friction
Women belong in the kitchen
Men belong in the kitchen
Everyone belongs in the kitchen
Kitchen has food
I have brought dishonor to my gaming clan
Achesia wrote:Threads like this is why I need to stop coming to NSG....

Marethian Lupanar of Teladre wrote:A bright and cheerful mountain village of chapel-goers~

The Archregimancy wrote:
Hagia Sophia is best church.

Major-Tom wrote:Why am I full of apathy?

I'm just here to be the peanut gallery
уσυ нανєи'т gσт тнє fυℓℓ єffє¢т

Keyboard Warriors
Minister

Founded: Mar 17, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Keyboard Warriors » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:15 pm

The Alexanderians wrote:
Dain II Ironfoot wrote:I always find it amusing how people from the US (not all but alot) are obsessed with breasts compared to people from (not all but alot) Europe.
Breasts are breasts, nothing to be obsessed with nor is there anything special about them. Women should just be allowed to walk topless, after three summers nobody will notice it anymore.

You assume however that every woman (or at least most of them) would choose to go topless if they were allowed to, the fact is many of them wouldn't feel comfortable doing so.

^This x100000. All through the thread, people have treated female clothing like something worn only through regulation and not personal choice.
Yes.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General