NATION

PASSWORD

California college bans American flag from part of campus

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Sebastianbourg
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 06, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Sebastianbourg » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:40 pm

Liberty and Linguistics wrote:Jesus christ, it's one room. Not only that, it's a college. Why should anyone care about what the collective will of the students is if it doesn't harm anybody? Yes, this is a silly move, but this entire thread is just needless fearmongering. Move along, folks.

^
This.

Wisconsin9
Post Czar

Founded: May 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Wisconsin9 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:41 pm

Saint-Germaine wrote:
Wisconsin9 wrote:Wouldn't this be a violation of the First Amendment, if somebody wanted to bring a flag in there and was told to fuck off?

So far that's the only possible problem I could see with this whole fiasco. The only question that needs to be answered is: Is it a public or private place/institution?

It's a state university, right? Sounds like it would be considered public.
~~~~~~~~
We are currently 33% through the Trump administration.
................................................................................................................................................................................................................
................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:46 pm

The New Sea Territory wrote:
Conserative Morality wrote:Disrespecting one group is hardly showing respect to another. If I disrespect Russia, that doesn't mean that I respect gay rights. I could be a raging homophobe who believes that the gays are going to hell.

While that latter statement is true, I still stand by what I've said. The flag, as a symbol of the American government, should be disrespected.

Conserative Morality wrote:All of them? Hardly. Some of them our influence has been overall positive, on others, overall negative. Making a big show of disowning everything associated with previous administrations means and does nothing except play to the middle-class guilt of some people. Much better is to make amends and assist all with a spirit of international brotherhood.

All of the ones I listed were definitely negative, unless you want to stand up for people like Franco, Pinochet or Suharto.

The flag represents the nation, not the current or any past government.
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

Saint-Germaine
Bureaucrat

Founded: Mar 25, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Saint-Germaine » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:57 pm

Wisconsin9 wrote:
Saint-Germaine wrote:So far that's the only possible problem I could see with this whole fiasco. The only question that needs to be answered is: Is it a public or private place/institution?

It's a state university, right? Sounds like it would be considered public.

What's interesting to note is that UC and most other "state" universities are actually private corporations that turn a profit. They are subsidized by the state but are NOT "socialized" or public institutions. The state can revoke its subsidies but other than that unless the school somehow victimizes someone or one of its customers then the state can't really otherwise take any lawful action.
Economic: Left/Right: 1.50
Social: Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.45
1 - At War
2 - International Conflict
3 - International Threat
4 - International Disagreement
5 - At Peace

Je suis arrivé à la conclusion que la politique est une affaire trop sérieuse pour être laissée aux politiciens.

-Charles de Gaulle

NH State Representative Campaign Website

New Frenco Empire
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 14, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby New Frenco Empire » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:04 pm

College students like to act edgy. More at 11.

But seriously, it was one room. Your tears are not worth it.
NEW FRENCO EMPIRE

Transferring information from disorganized notes into presentable factbooks is way too time consuming for a procrastinator. Just ask if you have questions.
Plutocratic Evil Empire™ situated in a post-apocalyptic Decopunk North America. Extreme PMT, yet socially stuck in the interwar/immediate post-war era, with Jazz music and flapper culture alongside nanotechnology and Martian colonies. Tier I power of the Frencoverse.

Las Palmeras wrote:Roaring 20s but in the future and with mutants

Alyakia wrote:you are a modern poet
Top Hits of 2132! (Imperial Public Radio)
Coming at you from Fort Orwell! (Imperial Forces Network)

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 09, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Luminesa » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:05 pm

New Frenco Empire wrote:College students like to act edgy. More at 11.

But seriously, it was one room. Your tears are not worth it.

I suppose you've got a point. It would be a lot worse if it was, like, the whole school.
Catholic, pro-life, and proud of it. I prefer my debates on religion, politics, and sports with some coffee and a little Aquinas and G.K. CHESTERTON here and there. :3
Unofficial #1 fan of the Who Dat Nation.
"I'm just a singer of simple songs, I'm not a real political man. I watch CNN, but I'm not sure I can tell you the difference in Iraq and Iran. But I know Jesus, and I talk to God, and I remember this from when I was young:
faith, hope and love are some good things He gave us...
and the greatest is love."
-Alan Jackson
Help the Ukrainian people, here's some sources!
Help bring home First Nation girls! Now with more ways to help!
Jesus loves all of His children in Eastern Europe - pray for peace.
Pray for Ukraine, Wear Sunflowers In Your Hair

Arumdaum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 21, 2009
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Arumdaum » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:06 pm

Tea party separation of america wrote::eyebrow:
Fuck you, liberal part of California.

College campuses?

The college is actually located in a conservative area.
LITERALLY UNLIKE ANY OTHER RP REGION & DON'T REPORT THIS SIG
█████████████████▌TIANDI ____________██____██
_______███▌MAP _______________██_____██_████████
█████████████████▌WIKI _______██______██___██____██
_______████ DISCORD ________██████___██____██______█

____████__████ SIGNUP _________██___████___██____
__████_______████_____________██______██__________██
████____________████_______█████████___███████████

Arumdaum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Arumdaum » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:10 pm

Geilinor wrote:
The New Sea Territory wrote:
While that latter statement is true, I still stand by what I've said. The flag, as a symbol of the American government, should be disrespected.

All of the ones I listed were definitely negative, unless you want to stand up for people like Franco, Pinochet or Suharto.

The flag represents the nation, not the current or any past government.

What flag means to you =/= what flag means to everyone else

Arkiasis
Senator

Founded: Aug 30, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Arkiasis » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:15 pm

Revin wrote:God I live in Cali and all you see for miles are Liberals I would say about 7%-1% Of Cali isn't liberal.

Funny, California was one of the states to vote to ban gay marriage.
The Republic of Arkiasis
NSwiki | IIwiki | Factbook | Map
Economic Left/Right: -4.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.56
I like: You <3
I dislike: Fax machines
Move along, nothing to see here.

Arumdaum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Arumdaum » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:16 pm

Revin wrote:God I live in Cali and all you see for miles are Liberals I would say about 7%-1% Of Cali isn't liberal.

Yeah... no.

But then again, my formative years so far were mostly spent in conservative parts of Cali.

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:16 pm

Arumdaum wrote:
Geilinor wrote:The flag represents the nation, not the current or any past government.

What flag means to you =/= what flag means to everyone else

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_flag
A national flag is a flag that symbolises a country.

For example:
See a government:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Government_of_the_United_Kingdom

See a nation-state:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom
Last edited by Geilinor on Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

Arumdaum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Arumdaum » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:20 pm

Geilinor wrote:
Arumdaum wrote:What flag means to you =/= what flag means to everyone else

[url]en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_flag[/url]
A national flag is a flag that symbolises a country.

For example:
See a government:

See a nation-state:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spring_%28season%29

Spring is one of the four conventional temperate seasons, following winter and preceding summer.

For exa-

Oh, but wait! I forgot there's something called symbolism! Maybe people see spring as more than just one of four conventional temperate seasons! Like maybe also a representation of youth, life, or maybe even rebirth!
Last edited by Arumdaum on Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

The Scandinvans
Senator

Founded: Oct 09, 2004
Capitalist Paradise

Postby The Scandinvans » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:27 pm

You cannot legally enforce such a protocol. It would be thrown out by a court and attempts to enforce would led to a very embarrassing lawsuit against the university.
We are the Glorious Empire of the Scandinvans. Surrender or be destroyed. Your civilization has ended, your time is over. Your people will be assimilated into our Empire. Your technological distinctiveness shall be added to our own. Your culture shall be supplanted by our own. And your lands will be made into our lands.

"For five thousand years has our Empire endured. In war and peace we have thrived. Against overwhelming odds we evolved. No matter what we face we have always survived and grown. We shall always be triumphant." -Emperor Godfrey II

Hope for a brighter tomorrow - fight the fight, find the cure

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jun 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:27 pm

The Scandinvans wrote:You cannot legally enforce such a protocol. It would be thrown out by a court and attempts to enforce would led to a very embarrassing lawsuit against the university.

They're allowed to keep the flag out of the single room that they meet in if they wish to do that.

United North Atlantic States
Envoy

Founded: Oct 13, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby United North Atlantic States » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:28 pm

The Scandinvans wrote:You cannot legally enforce such a protocol. It would be thrown out by a court and attempts to enforce would led to a very embarrassing lawsuit against the university.

No, it really wouldn't.
No, I'm not the US.

See here.

See here.

Things French people are saying about TAFTA…

This would make a great national anthem.

Great Islamic Caliphate wrote:[…] United North Atlantic States (Europe, Australasia and North America), […]

██████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████

Join the★★★U N I T E D★★★N O R T H★★★A T L A N T I C★★★

Whispering British Narrator
Secretary

Founded: Mar 06, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Whispering British Narrator » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:34 pm

Sheltopolis wrote:
I say this not as some faux-patriot sissy but as a decent American that our flag should be flown with pride as it represents, in my opinion, equality, individual liberty, and the voluntary and open exchange of ideas and goods.

If being a sissy were incompatible with sincere love of country, then I can assure you the English would have ruled no further than Wales.

Nazi Flower Power
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 24, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nazi Flower Power » Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:08 pm

Sheltopolis wrote:Srsly....

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2015/03/06/uc-irvine-students-vote-to-remove-american-flag-from-campus-lobby/

Students at UC Irvine have voted for a more “inclusive space” by banning the American flag on part of the campus.
Under resolution R50-70 passed Thursday, the Associated Students of UCI voted to remove all flags, including Old Glory, from a student government work room on campus, according to the Associated Students website.

Am I reading this correctly that the flag was just removed from one room?

This is just beyond bullshit. I hope the liberals on this site will agree with me that while America is certainly guilty of its fair share of crimes and has often overstepped its constitutional boundaries, it has also done many wonderful things for this world, such as ending World War II and defeating Nazi Germany, the Civil Rights Movement and equality for minorities, putting man on the moon, the Industrial revolution, and standing as a bastion of free speech and enterprise throughout its 200-some year history. I understand these students' points that the U.S. is guilty of several horrible crimes over the years (slavery, segregation, imperialism, drug war, etc., not that those are uniquely American to begin with), but it is the United States Constitution that gives these kids the right to say what they want, express how they feel, and live safely in a first-world nation.

I say this not as some faux-patriot sissy but as a decent American that our flag should be flown with pride as it represents, in my opinion, equality, individual liberty, and the voluntary and open exchange of ideas and goods. No we are not perfect, but what country is? And what other country has university students that would bring down their own homeland for the sake of political correctness? You've got to figure that if immigrants are living in America, they are damn well pleased with how it treats them. It seems that only in America that we nitpick at non-existent issues to make everyone "feel included". I don't understand it. If these (public school) kids are so disgusted with the display of American memorabilia in their school, I highly suggest they ought to cut the funding they receive from the republic which the flag stands for.

Thoughts?

You don't need to have a flag in every room. It sounds like they just decided it was not setting the atmosphere that they wanted in that room.
The Serene and Glorious Reich of Nazi Flower Power has existed for longer than Nazi Germany! Thank you to all the brave men and women of the Allied forces who made this possible!

Norstal
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 07, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:16 pm

Sheltopolis wrote:
Oneracon wrote:They took it, along with all other flags, out of one room. Get over yourselves.

They banned it from the campus lobby, which is the central part of the campus.

What the hell is a campus lobby? Universities have a lot of buildings and offices in it. They only banned the flag from their student government building.

But I do agree it's bullshit and edgy.
Toronto Sun wrote:Best poster ever. ★★★★★

New York Times wrote:No one can beat him in debates. 5/5.

IGN wrote:Literally the best game I've ever played. 10/10

NSG Public wrote:What a fucking douchebag.

Supreme Chairman for Life of the Itty Bitty Kitty Committee

Republic of Coldwater
Senator

Founded: Jul 08, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Republic of Coldwater » Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:31 pm

Seriously, what the hell.

Why do you want to tarnish your own country's flag and forbid it from flying in your own country? I do not understand. We need a backbone, to say no to ridiculous proposals like this. Keep in mind that if the Mexican Flag was banned in the same campus, the NAACP and SPLC would be jumping on UCI, but because this is the American flag, they don't give a shit.

Oneracon
Senator

Founded: Jul 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Oneracon » Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:32 pm

Republic of Coldwater wrote:Seriously, what the hell.

Why do you want to tarnish your own country's flag and forbid it from flying in your own country? I do not understand. We need a backbone, to say no to ridiculous proposals like this. Keep in mind that if the Mexican Flag was banned in the same campus, the NAACP and SPLC would be jumping on UCI, but because this is the American flag, they don't give a shit.

Oneracon wrote:They took it, along with all other flags, out of one room. Get over yourselves.
Compass
Economic Left/Right: -8.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.72
Oneracon IC Links
Factbook
Embassies

"The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power"
Pro:LGBTQ+ rights, basic income, secularism, gun control, internet freedom, civic nationalism, non-military national service, independent Scotland, antifa
Anti: Social conservatism, laissez-faire capitalism, NuAtheism, PETA, capital punishment, Putin, SWERF, TERF, GamerGate, "Alt-right" & neo-Nazism, Drumpf, ethnic nationalism, "anti-PC", pineapple on pizza

Your resident Canadian neutral good socdem graduate student.

*Here, queer, and not a prop for your right-wing nonsense.*

Republic of Coldwater
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Republic of Coldwater » Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:34 pm

Oneracon wrote:

Fair enough, it was one room, but why remove all the flags? I don't see what is wrong with a few flags in a student government room, especially when it is the student government of an American school.

Nazi Flower Power
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 24, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nazi Flower Power » Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:35 pm

Why is a neo-Confederate upset that they took down the Union flag? Are you sure you are a real secesh?
The Serene and Glorious Reich of Nazi Flower Power has existed for longer than Nazi Germany! Thank you to all the brave men and women of the Allied forces who made this possible!

Eldona
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jan 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Eldona » Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:37 pm

It's California. It does not surprise me.

Republic of Coldwater
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Republic of Coldwater » Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:38 pm

Nazi Flower Power wrote:

Why is a neo-Confederate upset that they took down the Union flag? Are you sure you are a real secesh?

Well, it makes no sense why they had to take it away. It was a pointless thing to do, especially in California. I would rather see that flag removed, and replaced with the Confederate flag in places that are willing to secede, not liberal California.

I'm not upset, but rather surprised that they made such a decision.

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jun 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:38 pm

Eldona wrote:It's California. It does not surprise me.

It should. This is a right-wing area of California.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General