NATION

PASSWORD

DOJ Report Finds "Systemic" Racism In Ferguson P.D.

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jun 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

DOJ Report Finds "Systemic" Racism In Ferguson P.D.

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:44 pm

This is really, blatantly awful.

WASHINGTON — Ferguson, Mo., is a third white, but the crime statistics compiled in the city over the past two years seemed to suggest that only black people were breaking the law. They accounted for 85 percent of traffic stops, 90 percent of tickets and 93 percent of arrests. In cases like jaywalking, which often hinge on police discretion, blacks accounted for 95 percent of all arrests.

The racial disparity in those statistics was so stark that the Justice Department has concluded in a report scheduled for release on Wednesday that there was only one explanation: The Ferguson Police Department was routinely violating the constitutional rights of its black residents.

After Michael Brown’s shooting in Ferguson, Mo., many black residents protested what they called unfair treatment by the police. The report, based on a six-month investigation, provides a glimpse into the roots of the racial tensions that boiled over in Ferguson last summer after a black teenager, Michael Brown, was fatally shot by a white police officer, making it a worldwide flash point in the debate over race and policing in America. It describes a city where the police used force almost exclusively on blacks and regularly stopped people without probable cause. Racial bias is so ingrained, the report said, that Ferguson officials circulated racist jokes on their government email accounts.

According to a preliminary release, an investigation by the Justice Department’s Civil Rights Division into the police department in Ferguson, Mo., found a pattern of racial bias between 2012 and 2014 violating the Constitution and federal law.

In a November 2008 email, a city official said Barack Obama would not be president long because “what black man holds a steady job for four years?” Another email included a cartoon depicting African-Americans as monkeys. A third described black women having abortions as a way to curb crime.

“There are serious problems here that cannot be explained away,” said a law enforcement official who has seen the report and spoke on the condition of anonymity because it had not been released yet.

Those findings reinforce what the city’s black residents have been saying publicly since the shooting in August, that the criminal justice system in Ferguson works differently for blacks and whites. A black motorist who is pulled over is twice as likely to be searched as a white motorist, even though searches of white drivers are more likely to turn up drugs or other contraband, the report found.

Minor, largely discretionary offenses such as disturbing the peace and jaywalking were brought almost exclusively against blacks. When whites were charged with these crimes, they were 68 percent more likely to have their cases dismissed, the Justice Department found.

More behind the link.

I know, I know: Who didn't know about this? Still, despite the officer who shot Michael Brown not being charged with violating his civil rights, seeing it laid out there in black and white (if you'll excuse the expression) makes it all the more stunning, and shows that last year's demonstrations were about far, far more than a single controversial shooting. It seems that the residents of the city have been poorly served by their law enforcement officials, and I suspect that the Department Of Justice is going to step in now to try and change things. Let's hope that they're as successful as they were in Los Angeles, and not blocked at every turn like they are in New York.

Thoughts on this? I know that it can't come as a surprise, but do you think that the Ferguson P.D. and city government are being treated fairly in this report? What, if anything, should be done now? Or is it simply too late for things to change, with a culture of racism so deeply ingrained that it seems that many officials don't even see it?

Planita
Ambassador

Founded: May 01, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Planita » Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:45 pm

In other news scientists discover the sky is blue.

Honestly I pretty much expected it despite the Brown case

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:46 pm

This surprises me none.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 05, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:47 pm

Gotta love how despite all the stuff we saw, now laid out in this report, Wilson still didn't get in trouble. Wonderful country we live in. It's all fine to criticize authority, but in practice, nothing's going to happen to them.

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:47 pm

Reorganize the police department, I guess.
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

Sanctissima
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Sanctissima » Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:48 pm

Can't say I'm surprised.

Although I doubt any actual developments will come from this. Missouri is Missouri.

Geilinor
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:50 pm

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:51 pm

Merizoc wrote:Gotta love how despite all the stuff we saw, now laid out in this report, Wilson still didn't get in trouble. Wonderful country we live in. It's all fine to criticize authority, but in practice, nothing's going to happen to them.

Actually, it's highly likely that we're going to see them sued and (like New York and Los Angeles) enter into a consent decree with the Justice Department, meaning that the feds are going to be setting specific goals and looking over their shoulders to ensure that some sort of change does happen. How successful this will be in the long run is anyone's guess. The LAPD is doing much better in this area than they were a bit over a decade ago, but the NYPD is obviously still rife with problems.

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:53 pm

Yes, I linked that in the OP, but that does bear repeating. However, the evidence that they were able to glean from a single controversial shooting was understandably going to be difficult to make into a case, whereas they had a number of cold, hard statistics and written proof of the culture of racism within the department.

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:56 pm

I was going to make this thread yesterday. At least I now know what was the source of me feeling like I was forgetting something.

Anyway, this isn't surprising. And yet I'm sure eventually someone's going to completely miss the point and insist that not all cops are white supremacist KKK members, as though that's the actual issue here.
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:58 pm

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:

Yes, I linked that in the OP, but that does bear repeating. However, the evidence that they were able to glean from a single controversial shooting was understandably going to be difficult to make into a case, whereas they had a number of cold, hard statistics and written proof of the culture of racism within the department.

What do you think the chances of meaningful reform are?
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Arbolvine
Envoy

Founded: Feb 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Arbolvine » Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:59 pm

No way! :p
YOU HAVE BETRAYED THE REVOLUTION, COMRADE!
DEMSOC, WHOOOOOO!!!
Our nation is enveloped within the borders of a militaristic fascist regime that has invaded us 5 times in the last 100 years. Any attempt to send delegates or ambassadorial staff to other nations is met with anti-aircraft artillery. If you are reading this message, someone finally got out alive.
My Favorite Quote

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:59 pm

Mavorpen wrote:I was going to make this thread yesterday. At least I now know what was the source of me feeling like I was forgetting something.

If it makes you feel better, you're not alone. :p

Anyway, this isn't surprising. And yet I'm sure eventually someone's going to completely miss the point and insist that not all cops are white supremacist KKK members, as though that's the actual issue here.

Frankly, I was a bit shocked that that wasn't the first response on the thread.

Russels Orbiting Teapot
Senator

Founded: Jan 20, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Russels Orbiting Teapot » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:00 pm

I really hope something actually comes of this.

Who elects the person that appoints the leadership of this police department?

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:01 pm

Galloism wrote:
Yumyumsuppertime wrote:

What do you think the chances of meaningful reform are?

Hard to say, since I'm not familiar with the city itself. I can say this, though: I'm not especially hopeful. Real and lasting reform takes community outreach and involvement, and from what I saw during the demonstrations, Ferguson's black community doesn't have a history of political involvement. That may have changed as a result of the demonstrations, though, so we'll see.

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:01 pm

This is just Eric Holder's Justice Department concluding what they want to from their statistics. Ferguson has fewer White people, so of course there are going to be more Black criminals as a majority Black city. All the Whites that could have left have already done so, and I bet a few that work there don't even live in the city limits, they just do a commute.
Last edited by Saiwania on Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

Geilinor
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:04 pm

Saiwania wrote:This is just Eric Holder's Justice Department concluding what they want to from their statistics. Ferguson has fewer White people, so of course there are going to be more Black criminals as a majority Black city. All the Whites that could have left have already done so, and I bet a few that work there don't even live in the city limits, they just do a commute.

Ferguson is a third white and there is other evidence, including statements from department officials and from people who have had encounters with the police.

Dakini
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Dakini » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:06 pm

I definitely was not surprised when I heard this news.

Saiwania wrote:This is just Eric Holder's Justice Department concluding what they want to from their statistics. Ferguson has fewer White people, so of course there are going to be more Black criminals as a majority Black city. All the Whites that could have left have already done so, and I bet a few that work there don't even live in the city limits, they just do a commute.

And I'm definitely not surprised that people who are proud to be racist are willing to bend over backwards to explain these findings away.
Last edited by Dakini on Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:06 pm

Saiwania wrote:This is just Eric Holder's Justice Department concluding what they want to from their statistics. Ferguson has hardly any White people, so of course there are going to be more Black criminals as a majority Black city.

The arrests of black people were out of proportion to their percentage of the population. Ferguson is about 2/3 or 66% black, but black people make up around 85% of arrests and 95% of discretionary arrests. They're also significantly more likely to be searched despite numbers showing that white people are more likely to be carrying illegal contraband. In addition, racist jokes were sent out over city government emails, and no one was taken to task for that.

All of this was in the OP and the linked article. Please show us the basic courtesy of reading it before posting next time.

All the Whites that could have left have already done so, and I bet a few that work there don't even live in the city limits, they just do a commute.

"I bet" is not an argument.

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:07 pm

Geilinor wrote:

Ferguson is a third white and there is other evidence, including statements from department officials and from people who have had encounters with the police.

I currently use Saiwania as a general gauge on what position to NOT take involving race. His refusal to accept this only confirms for me that it's valid.
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Sanctissima
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Sanctissima » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:08 pm

All aboard the racism train, choo choo!

Russels Orbiting Teapot
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Russels Orbiting Teapot » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:11 pm

You clearly didn't read anything that has to do with the report if that's your conclusion.

The partisan blinders serve you well to block out the parts of reality that don't fit with your ideology.

Shilya
Minister

Founded: Dec 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Shilya » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:12 pm

Sanctissima wrote:

All aboard the racism train, choo choo!

It's not just racism, it's a quite relevant statistic. In a mere 25 years, the black/white demographic essentially flipped.
1990 was ~74% white, 25% black, now we're at 67% black, 30% white.

I'm NOT saying this is a bad thing, I'm saying this explains a lot. When the demographics of an area change quickly, its power structure usually can't follow suit fast enough.
Impeach freedom, government is welfare, Ron Paul is theft, legalize 2016!

Russels Orbiting Teapot
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Russels Orbiting Teapot » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:14 pm

Shilya wrote:It's not just racism, it's a quite relevant statistic. In a mere 25 years, the black/white demographic essentially flipped.
1990 was ~74% white, 25% black, now we're at 67% black, 30% white.

I'm NOT saying this is a bad thing, I'm saying this explains a lot. When the demographics of an area change quickly, its power structure usually can't follow suit fast enough.

But what's keeping someone from running on a platform of "I'm going to root out all the rascists in the police department" and being elected in a landslide?

Athenica
Political Columnist

Founded: Jan 05, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Athenica » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:14 pm

Hahaha, Holder is by far more racists then the Ferguson P.D.

I grew up in the inner city, tough policing works... Community Outreach? You gotta be kidding me? I grew up poor, what worked was my Mom and Dad working hard, making me work hard, and holding me accountable. I remember being brought home by the cops as a young kid, My Parents didn't scream " Oye! Ja Mi Mijito! My poor baby! He would never do nothing to nooobody "...
Now what works is accountability, Good Parenting, and Tough Policing. I say this as a Mexican-American, the poor are often poor because they choose to be, they come from families who continually make poor choices, lack of education, civility...

I support the Furguson P.D. and wish they would have cracked down very hard on the " protestors ". Silly, White Folks, White Guilt is soooo 2008.
-----------
Sent from IPHONE 6 PLUS

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General