NATION

PASSWORD

57% Of Republicans Want Christianity As National Religion

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Planita
Ambassador

Founded: May 01, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Planita » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:50 pm

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:Pretty much what it says on the tin. In a poll by Public Policy Polling, and in response to the question "Would you support or oppose establishing Christianity as the national religion?" (Q17), 57% of Republicans interviewed stated that they supported this idea.

This strikes me as troubling. While it's no surprise that the GOP has leaned ever more right over the past few decades, and has pandered particularly to the religious right during that period of time in a mad scramble for votes, I find it disturbing that a majority of people in the party are so openly disdainful of the Constitution. Previously, the rhetoric was at least hidden behind a veil of "We respect everyone's right to believe as they wish". Now it's more of a "If you're not all about Jesus, then you're not really an American".

Thoughts?

57% of Republicans apparently want to violate the Constitution. And they said Obama was bad.

Kargintina
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 17, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kargintina » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:58 pm

I can gladly say I am among the 43% who don't. Even as a supporter of the GOP, I would never support this.

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:04 pm

Their high margin of error means I need a big grain of salt, but only about 30% of the population is a committed Republican. I can reasonably believe that about 15% would want this.
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

Jute
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 28, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Jute » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:17 pm

Geilinor wrote:Their high margin of error means I need a big grain of salt, but only about 30% of the population is a committed Republican. I can reasonably believe that about 15% would want this.

Probably less, I'd assume...
Carl Sagan, astrophysicist and atheist wrote:"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality.
When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages,
when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling,
that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual...
The notion that science and spirituality are somehow mutually exclusive does a disservice to both."
Italios wrote:Jute's probably some sort of Robin Hood-type outlaw
"Boys and girls so happy, young and gay / Don't let false worldly joy carry your hearts away."

See the Jutean language! Talk to me about all. Avian air force flag (via) Is Religion Dangerous?

Rio Cana
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 21, 2005
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Rio Cana » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:26 pm

So the US would be following Costa Rica and Argentina which are the only two nations in the Americas that have a so called State religion.

Read this - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_religion
National Information
Empire of Rio Cana has been refounded.
We went from Empire to Peoples Republic to two divided Republics one called Marina to back to an Empire. And now a Republic under a military General. Our Popular Music
Our National Love SongOur Military Forces
Formerly appointed twice Minister of Defense and once Minister of Foreign Affairs for South America Region.

Sternberg
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Aug 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Sternberg » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:29 pm

So hang on a minute. If 57% of Republicans want to establish a national religion, in violation of founding national legislation that states that no federal government in the US can expressly establish a national religion for the US, nor suppress or discriminate against any one religion, yet only 316 were queried ... That means only, what, less then 1% out of ALL Republicans would support such a motion?

... That survey's concluding percentile doesn't sound right. It looks like both the size of the sample - compared to the total of professed Republicans in the US - and the methodology of the survey itself are flawed. I'm suspecting either a badly-constructed survey or a smack of bias.
Australian against Xenophobia, Bigotry and Reckless Policy.
Constitutional Monarchist and damn proud of it.

Show me a political system or body that is absolutely perfect in every way, shape and form and I'll show you a liar.
Henry Ronoud Melverry
Royal Consul
Sternberg Legislative Assembly
"My religious beliefs are not built partly around a desire to go to heaven after the destruction of earth.
I don't look forward to Armageddon.
I am not bigoted towards gays, atheists, or blacks.
I am not responsible for any "world atrocities."

I am also a Christian. I do not appreciate your ignorance."

- NSer Pesda

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:30 pm

Rio Cana wrote:So the US would be following Costa Rica and Argentina which are the only two nations in the Americas that have a so called State religion.

It would require a constitutional amendment first, unless they want to violate the most obvious part of the Constitution.
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

Russels Orbiting Teapot
Senator

Founded: Jan 20, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Russels Orbiting Teapot » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:32 pm

Sternberg wrote:So hang on a minute. If 57% of Republicans want to establish a national religion, in violation of founding national legislation that states that no federal government in the US can expressly establish a national religion for the US, nor suppress or discriminate against any one religion, yet only 316 were queried ... That means only, what, less then 1% out of ALL Republicans would support such a motion?

... That survey's concluding percentile doesn't sound right. It looks like both the size of the sample - compared to the total of professed Republicans in the US - and the methodology of the survey itself are flawed. I'm suspecting either a badly-constructed survey or a smack of bias.

Or that you don't understand how surveys work.

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:32 pm

Geilinor wrote:
Rio Cana wrote:So the US would be following Costa Rica and Argentina which are the only two nations in the Americas that have a so called State religion.

It would require a constitutional amendment first, unless they want to violate the most obvious part of the Constitution.

And of course nothing will smooth over shit in the Middle East like the United States establishing a national religion, something that jihadi fucks like those in Al'Qaeda and IS can point to and scream at as proof the U.S. is declaring war on Islam and all Muslims.
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.
Where is your God-Emperor now?

Sternberg
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Aug 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Sternberg » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:37 pm

Russels Orbiting Teapot wrote:Or that you don't understand how surveys work.

Alright then. So if 316 Republicans who were polled would favor the above motion, how many Republicans could we conclude would have opposed it? About, what 150? 200? For that matter, does the survey take into account any other political denominations, or was it a Republican-only survey conducted by the PPP?

My apologies if these inane questions could be so easily answered by the data itself, but I haven't been able to access the data; some kind of error on my end.

Even so, I would have to stand by the sentiment I expressed earlier and as expressed by others; this is far easier said then done and would practically be in violation of US legislation without the required amendments to the Constitution, majority in both the states and Congress, and the required follow-up legislation.
Last edited by Sternberg on Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Australian against Xenophobia, Bigotry and Reckless Policy.
Constitutional Monarchist and damn proud of it.

Show me a political system or body that is absolutely perfect in every way, shape and form and I'll show you a liar.
Henry Ronoud Melverry
Royal Consul
Sternberg Legislative Assembly
"My religious beliefs are not built partly around a desire to go to heaven after the destruction of earth.
I don't look forward to Armageddon.
I am not bigoted towards gays, atheists, or blacks.
I am not responsible for any "world atrocities."

I am also a Christian. I do not appreciate your ignorance."

- NSer Pesda

Baltenstein
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Baltenstein » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:39 pm

O'er the hills and o'er the main.
Through Flanders, Portugal and Spain.
King George commands and we obey.
Over the hills and far away.

THE NORTH REMEMBERS

Russels Orbiting Teapot
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Russels Orbiting Teapot » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:46 pm

Sternberg wrote:Alright then. So if 316 Republicans who were polled would favor the above motion, how many Republicans could we conclude would have opposed it? About, what 150? 200? For that matter, does the survey take into account any other political denominations, or was it a Republican-only survey conducted by the PPP?

My apologies if these inane questions could be so easily answered by the data itself, but I haven't been able to access the data; some kind of error on my end.

Even so, I would have to stand by the sentiment I expressed earlier and as expressed by others; this is far easier said then done and would practically be in violation of US legislation without the required amendments to the Constitution, majority in both the states and Congress, and the required follow-up legislation.

316 total were surveyed, all Republicans. 57% of those surveyed agreed with the statement that Christianity should become a national religion.

The margin of error is 5.5%, meaning that because of the difference between the sample size and the total population, we can be statistically confident that the actual number falls between 51.5% and 62.5%, assuming that the survey wasn't slanted in some way.
Last edited by Russels Orbiting Teapot on Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Steamtopia
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 13, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Steamtopia » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:02 pm

In other words, Republicans want to create a Christian Iran.
TG me. Just do it.

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:14 pm

Steamtopia wrote:In other words, Republicans want to create a Christian Iran.

Which isn't news to anyone Who has paid attention to the religious right....
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent...
Freedom from religion is an integral part of Freedom of religion
Married to Koshka
USMC veteran MOS 0331/8152
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Ifreann: Odds are you're secretly a zebra with a very special keyboard.
Ostro: I think women need to be trained
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:16 pm

Dyakovo wrote:

There's No Gays in Iran, so clearly they want to follow suit.
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.

Steamtopia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Steamtopia » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:16 pm

Dyakovo wrote:

News to the religious right probably.
TG me. Just do it.

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:17 pm

Steamtopia wrote:
Dyakovo wrote:Which isn't news to anyone Who has paid attention to the religious right....

News to the religious right probably.

The best way to discourage the religious right from doing something batshit is to point out how the Ebil Muslims are doing the exact same thing.

Steamtopia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Steamtopia » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:17 pm

Gauthier wrote:
Steamtopia wrote:News to the religious right probably.

The best way to discourage the religious right from doing something batshit is to point out how the Ebil Muslims are doing the exact same thing.

Now you're getting my point.
TG me. Just do it.

Burleson 2
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 18, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Burleson 2 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:19 pm

I'm part of that 57%, and proud of it.
Formerly Burleson: August 8, 2014-December 8, 2014
Permanent sig coming soon
Italios wrote:In the south, Yankee sometimes is an insult. In the North East, it's not. In Boston, it's a declaration of war.

Alveda King wrote:To equate homosexuality with race is to give a death sentence to civil rights.

Ieperithem wrote:Hopefully. A nation whose majority consists of "aspiring artists", SNAP recipients, and identity politics obsessed professional victims rather than policemen, engineers, and farmers isn't going to last long.

Lol Democracy wrote:We should give him a Qur'an with a picture of Mohammed as the watermark on every page, can't remove stuff from the Qur'an, can't make pictures of Mohammed > Islam Explodes

Steamtopia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Steamtopia » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:20 pm

Burleson 2 wrote:I'm part of that 57%, and proud of it.

You're unconstitutional. Deportation is the only option.
TG me. Just do it.

Russels Orbiting Teapot
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Russels Orbiting Teapot » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:20 pm

Burleson 2 wrote:I'm part of that 57%, and proud of it.

I'm glad to see you admit to how unamerican your principles are.

Jute
Postmaster-General

Postby Jute » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:20 pm

Gauthier wrote:
Dyakovo wrote:Which isn't news to anyone Who has paid attention to the religious right....

Iran is very acceptable of Transsexuals, though, down to paying them surgery.
Gauthier wrote:
Steamtopia wrote:News to the religious right probably.

The fundamentalist ones only, obviously. The traditional as well as the modern ones not really as much.
Last edited by Jute on Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carl Sagan, astrophysicist and atheist wrote:"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality.
When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages,
when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling,
The notion that science and spirituality are somehow mutually exclusive does a disservice to both."
"Boys and girls so happy, young and gay / Don't let false worldly joy carry your hearts away."

See the Jutean language! Talk to me about all. Avian air force flag (via) Is Religion Dangerous?

Steamtopia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Steamtopia » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:21 pm

Jute wrote:
Gauthier wrote:

Iran is very acceptable of Transsexuals, though, down to paying them surgery.

That's how they get rid of the gays. It's not gay if you change sex.
TG me. Just do it.

Prezelly
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 07, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Prezelly » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:21 pm

Wow who would have guessed that people would support the majority religion to become the national? (sarcasm)
All opinions are accepted as long as they are the right one
Political Compass
Economic Right: 2.0
Social Authoritarian: 0.7

ISTP personality type

Jute
Postmaster-General

Postby Jute » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:22 pm

Steamtopia wrote:
Jute wrote:Iran is very acceptable of Transsexuals, though, down to paying them surgery.

That's how they get rid of the gays. It's not gay if you change sex.

Their homophobia is so high that it completely eradicated their transphobia.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General