NATION

PASSWORD

TET: Like the Offensive?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Hurdegaryp
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Hurdegaryp » Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:28 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Lordieth wrote:That doesn't mean we're not welcoming of fresh faces. If I'm being perfectly honest, I think it's more about being able to fit in with the overall atmosphere. Some people seem to find a way of completely going against the grain.

Oh, absolutely. We can and are welcoming. But I don't think it's wrong that people form bonds with some and not others. It's the natural flow of things, we are like that IRL. Just because you have better rapport with X person doesn't mean you can't interact with Y person. For the most part, that's how TET is. There's nothing wrong.

I´ve had amazing conflicts with some people in TET. Can´t say those were my proudest moments, with the exception of the times I went against the totalitarian leanings of some individuals. But remember this, and remember this well: the best conflict is no conflict.
CVT Temp wrote:I mean, we can actually create a mathematical definition for evolution in terms of the evolutionary algorithm and then write code to deal with abstract instances of evolution, which basically equates to mathematical proof that evolution works. All that remains is to show that biological systems replicate in such a way as to satisfy the minimal criteria required for evolution to apply to them, something which has already been adequately shown time and again. At this point, we've pretty much proven that not only can evolution happen, it pretty much must happen since it's basically impossible to prevent it from happening.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:29 pm

Lordieth wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
I'll be the first to admit that, in TET, I post through a cat persona more than myself. Scratch that, I am the cat (jokingly). I am me. You don't need to stop being you so people talk to you.

Do I make sense?

That's kind like the whole Meerkat thing with me. It got to a point where it seemed somewhat expected, and if I'm feeling a little silly I'll run with it. Sometimes it's nice just not to be a total grown-up all the time.

It certainly helps with stress relief and TET certainly accepts it. Probably because people know you're not really a cat or a meerkat or a sheep. Just jokes.
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

Libronyscien
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 23, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Libronyscien » Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:29 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Lordieth wrote:
Didn't she say she was a manager there? Yeah, I guess her fabrication got over-ambitious. Credit where credit is due, she had some intelligence, or at least a good imagination to pull it off. I don't think any harm was done, but maybe she/he felt that there'd be retribution.

If she/he did, I don't recall.

I still think she came back as Benshir. Who went the same way. I liked Benshir. In a way, I liked Lian too. And it was disappointing to find out they were both fictitious.

Benshir was awesome.
For: LGBTQ+, Choice, Equalist1,
Against: Racism2, Sexism, Homophobia, Heterophobia3, Feminazi.
1 If you have a problem with this then find a way to deal with it.
2 Some forms of racism are acceptable in my opinion. I hate the marathon race so much.
3 This is a joke.

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:29 pm

Hurdegaryp wrote:
Lordieth wrote:That doesn't mean we're not welcoming of fresh faces. If I'm being perfectly honest, I think it's more about being able to fit in with the overall atmosphere. Some people seem to find a way of completely going against the grain.

Those are probably also the same people who complain bitterly about the cold and unforgiving elite of TET and their scathing snark.

It's much easier to blame others than it is to look at yourself.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Furry Alairia and Algeria
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Furry Alairia and Algeria » Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:30 pm

Hurdegaryp wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:Oh, absolutely. We can and are welcoming. But I don't think it's wrong that people form bonds with some and not others. It's the natural flow of things, we are like that IRL. Just because you have better rapport with X person doesn't mean you can't interact with Y person. For the most part, that's how TET is. There's nothing wrong.

I´ve had amazing conflicts with some people in TET. Can´t say those were my proudest moments, with the exception of the times I went against the totalitarian leanings of some individuals. But remember this, and remember this well: the best conflict is no conflict.

If such conflict exists.
Lordieth wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
I'll be the first to admit that, in TET, I post through a cat persona more than myself. Scratch that, I am the cat (jokingly). I am me. You don't need to stop being you so people talk to you.

Do I make sense?

That's kind like the whole Meerkat thing with me. It got to a point where it seemed somewhat expected, and if I'm feeling a little silly I'll run with it. Sometimes it's nice just not to be a total grown-up all the time.

Meh. I can't exactly do nothing but sometimes hide behind a mask sometimes. It's the only way I can tell jokes. But sometimes it's obvious when I get abrasive.
In memory of Dyakovo - may he never be forgotten - Дьяковожс ученик

I do not reply to telegrams, unless you are someone I know.

Lordieth
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 18, 2010
New York Times Democracy

Postby Lordieth » Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:31 pm

Hurdegaryp wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:Oh, absolutely. We can and are welcoming. But I don't think it's wrong that people form bonds with some and not others. It's the natural flow of things, we are like that IRL. Just because you have better rapport with X person doesn't mean you can't interact with Y person. For the most part, that's how TET is. There's nothing wrong.

That said, it'd be a dull world if everyone got along absolutely all the time. I don't particularly enjoy confrontation, but if someone says or does something I don't like, I won't stand for it. I much prefer to have a good time of course. I'd never look for conflict.
There was a signature here. It's gone now.

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 30, 2012
New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:31 pm

Lordieth wrote:
Hurdegaryp wrote:Those are probably also the same people who complain bitterly about the cold and unforgiving elite of TET and their scathing snark.

You're right on the mark, there. The ones that do complain the most tend to be the ones who figure out how to fit in the least. I think everyone deserves a second chance, and anyone willing to learn from their mistakes is fine in my book. But people who repeat the same actions over and over even after being politely corrected will just end up rubbing people the wrong way.

Complaining rarely endears one to new people, and if often doesn't even get much sympathy from people who are fond of one (at least, when it is constant).

Some newer faces are possibly not as good at reading tone in an textual medium. Contrary to popular opinion, it is entirely possible to convey sarcasm through text, for instance. If you misjudge the tone of a conversation it is often a fatal error. Sometimes, of course, there is a problem with the text itself, not the reader.
That it Could be What it Is, Is What it Is

Stop making shit up, though. Links, or it's a God-damn lie and you know it.

The normie life is heteronormie

We won't know until 2053 when it'll be really obvious what he should've done. [...] We have no option but to guess.

Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Furry Alairia and Algeria » Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:32 pm

Lordieth wrote:
Hurdegaryp wrote:I´ve had amazing conflicts with some people in TET. Can´t say those were my proudest moments, with the exception of the times I went against the totalitarian leanings of some individuals. But remember this, and remember this well: the best conflict is no conflict.

That said, it'd be a dull world if everyone got along absolutely all the time. I don't particularly enjoy confrontation, but if someone says or does something I don't like, I won't stand for it. I much prefer to have a good time of course. I'd never look for conflict.

I'd rather prefer a friendly, dull world than a unfriendly, fearful world almost anyday.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:32 pm

Hurdegaryp wrote:

I've had a few arguments too, with Ethel for example. Doesn't mean I don't respect him or his input or that I can't talk to him about other things. Come to think of it, I've had differences even with people I am closer to. Perhaps that's the issue, that some people do not know how to separate.

I also tend to have problems with discerning when someone is joking and when someone is serious but that's my issue and I work with it. That being said, I do accept that there are posters I can't even talk to before I get pissed, and I'm sure you have that feeling too and, well, that too is ok. You're not going to like everyone and everyone is not going to like you.
Slava Ukraini
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs

Libronyscien
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 23, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Libronyscien » Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:32 pm

The Blaatschapen wrote:
Furry Alairia and Algeria wrote:Hate to break the mood, but could we step away from this by any chance?

Oh yeah, let me put something semi-intelligent here now :blush:

While it is true that TET is a bit cliqueish, the people here, in general, are by no means trying to be mean. If you feel being made fun of, well, it happens to all of us here. The amount of times I have been sheared, been cooked with mint jelly or otherwise not taken seriously are more times than I can count on my hooves.

This is, at least in my opinion, mostly a thread to wind down, relax a bit, joke around and not take things too seriously. The thread is also never about one single person. It's just a chat thread, with some jokes, fun and lightheartedness.

That does not mean it cannot be serious, there are some fleeting moments of it, but real seriousness, the drama (which sometimes happens) is luckily quite rare IMO.

And because of its nature, it takes a bit of time to get both accepted and used to it. That does not mean that "we" don't like newcomers, we're just trying to figure out slowly who you are :)

I'm still trying to figure out who I am.
For: LGBTQ+, Choice, Equalist1,
Against: Racism2, Sexism, Homophobia, Heterophobia3, Feminazi.
1 If you have a problem with this then find a way to deal with it.
2 Some forms of racism are acceptable in my opinion. I hate the marathon race so much.
3 This is a joke.

Lordieth
Post Czar

New York Times Democracy

Postby Lordieth » Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:33 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Lordieth wrote:

It certainly helps with stress relief and TET certainly accepts it. Probably because people know you're not really a cat or a meerkat or a sheep. Just jokes.

Exactly. I come to TET to get away from worrying about things. If I can't feel like I can relax and be how I feel, then I wouldn't enjoy my time here.

Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Furry Alairia and Algeria » Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:34 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:I also tend to have problems with discerning when someone is joking and when someone is serious but that's my issue and I work with it.

That's my main problem when I post. I know someone might take it as serious, so I bottle and throw it away.

Regardless, I don't take grudges on anyone, or at least I try not to.

Hurdegaryp
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Hurdegaryp » Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:34 pm

Lordieth wrote:
Hurdegaryp wrote:Those are probably also the same people who complain bitterly about the cold and unforgiving elite of TET and their scathing snark.

You're right on the mark, there. The ones that do complain the most tend to be the ones who figure out how to fit in the least. I think everyone deserves a second chance, and anyone willing to learn from their mistakes is fine in my book. But people who repeat the same actions over and over even after being politely corrected will just end up rubbing people the wrong way.

A common occurrence in online communities is that a new member tries to gain a foothold in said community by trying to establish dominance. Bad move. You're not the first to try that cheap trick, you probably won't be the last and while we have to tolerate your presence for the moment, we might as well check if our sarcasm and snark are still effective. Thank you for playing, goodbye!
CVT Temp wrote:I mean, we can actually create a mathematical definition for evolution in terms of the evolutionary algorithm and then write code to deal with abstract instances of evolution, which basically equates to mathematical proof that evolution works. All that remains is to show that biological systems replicate in such a way as to satisfy the minimal criteria required for evolution to apply to them, something which has already been adequately shown time and again. At this point, we've pretty much proven that not only can evolution happen, it pretty much must happen since it's basically impossible to prevent it from happening.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:34 pm

Lordieth wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

Exactly. I come to TET to get away from worrying about things. If I can't feel like I can relax and be how I feel, then I wouldn't enjoy my time here.

Exactly. I do venture into some threads, but because of the nature of TET, because I know I can relax here is the reason I stay. It's probably the reason the regulars stay too.
Slava Ukraini

Lordieth
Post Czar

New York Times Democracy

Postby Lordieth » Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:35 pm

Forsher wrote:
Lordieth wrote:

Complaining rarely endears one to new people, and if often doesn't even get much sympathy from people who are fond of one (at least, when it is constant).

Some newer faces are possibly not as good at reading tone in an textual medium. Contrary to popular opinion, it is entirely possible to convey sarcasm through text, for instance. If you misjudge the tone of a conversation it is often a fatal error. Sometimes, of course, there is a problem with the text itself, not the reader.

Yeah, the tones of a conversation can be nuanced, and not everyone learns to pick up on that. It's not a perfect medium, but I think it's one easy enough to adapt to given time.

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:36 pm

Furry Alairia and Algeria wrote:
Lordieth wrote:

I'd rather prefer a friendly, dull world than a unfriendly, fearful world almost anyday.

The older I get, the more I like boring. Boring means I made the mortgage payment.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:36 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:I also tend to have problems with discerning when someone is joking and when someone is serious but that's my issue and I work with it.

That's my main problem when I post. I know someone might take it as serious, so I bottle and throw it away.

But you work with it. I guess that what we're trying to say is that TET is not a barbed wire place. We do accept new people, we welcome it. Some new posters have brought a lot of fresh ideas and fun to the thread. But we do not like whining or attention whoring.
Slava Ukraini

Lordieth
Post Czar

New York Times Democracy

Postby Lordieth » Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:37 pm

Hurdegaryp wrote:
Lordieth wrote:You're right on the mark, there. The ones that do complain the most tend to be the ones who figure out how to fit in the least. I think everyone deserves a second chance, and anyone willing to learn from their mistakes is fine in my book. But people who repeat the same actions over and over even after being politely corrected will just end up rubbing people the wrong way.

A common occurrence in online communities is that a new member tries to gain a foothold in said community by trying to establish dominance. Bad move. You're not the first to try that cheap trick, you probably won't be the last and while we have to tolerate your presence for the moment, we might as well check if our sarcasm and snark are still effective. Thank you for playing, goodbye!

Yeah, that one doesn't work well here at all. That said, an interesting new personality comes along, and people will naturally gravitate towards them. That only seems to happen when someone comes across as being genuine.

Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Furry Alairia and Algeria » Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:37 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Furry Alairia and Algeria wrote:That's my main problem when I post. I know someone might take it as serious, so I bottle and throw it away.

But you work with it. I guess that what we're trying to say is that TET is not a barbed wire place. We do accept new people, we welcome it. Some new posters have brought a lot of fresh ideas and fun to the thread. But we do not like whining or attention whoring.

I doubt anyone likes attention whoring. It brings on a new level of annoyance.

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:37 pm

Libronyscien wrote:
The Blaatschapen wrote:
Oh yeah, let me put something semi-intelligent here now :blush:

While it is true that TET is a bit cliqueish, the people here, in general, are by no means trying to be mean. If you feel being made fun of, well, it happens to all of us here. The amount of times I have been sheared, been cooked with mint jelly or otherwise not taken seriously are more times than I can count on my hooves.

This is, at least in my opinion, mostly a thread to wind down, relax a bit, joke around and not take things too seriously. The thread is also never about one single person. It's just a chat thread, with some jokes, fun and lightheartedness.

That does not mean it cannot be serious, there are some fleeting moments of it, but real seriousness, the drama (which sometimes happens) is luckily quite rare IMO.

And because of its nature, it takes a bit of time to get both accepted and used to it. That does not mean that "we" don't like newcomers, we're just trying to figure out slowly who you are :)

I'm still trying to figure out who I am.

You're Liberace
*nods*
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent...
Freedom from religion is an integral part of Freedom of religion
Married to Koshka
USMC veteran MOS 0331/8152
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Ifreann: Odds are you're secretly a zebra with a very special keyboard.
Ostro: I think women need to be trained
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:39 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

I doubt anyone likes attention whoring. It brings on a new level of annoyance.

Oh, I'm sure there are places where that behavior is accepted and sought after. However, TET doesn't like it.
Slava Ukraini

Lordieth
Post Czar

New York Times Democracy

Postby Lordieth » Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:39 pm

Right, time to head off. G'night TET.

Hurdegaryp
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Hurdegaryp » Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:40 pm

Libronyscien wrote:I'm still trying to figure out who I am.

These things take time, so make sure you take the time necessary for it. Maybe some of us can even be of assistance, but no guarantees!

Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Furry Alairia and Algeria » Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:40 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Furry Alairia and Algeria wrote:I doubt anyone likes attention whoring. It brings on a new level of annoyance.

Oh, I'm sure there are places where that behavior is accepted and sought after. However, TET doesn't like it.

I wonder what places such as those are.

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 30, 2012
New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:41 pm

Lordieth wrote:

I think it depends on my mood. For instance, right now, this sort of conversation has a lot of appeal. Normally, though, I'm more keen on the sometimes confrontational world of NSG\TET. That being said, NSG was toxic in 2013: I'm glad that's gone.
That it Could be What it Is, Is What it Is

Stop making shit up, though. Links, or it's a God-damn lie and you know it.

The normie life is heteronormie

We won't know until 2053 when it'll be really obvious what he should've done. [...] We have no option but to guess.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General