NATION

PASSWORD

Why monarchy?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Why are you a monarchist

I was brought up in a country with a monarchy
18%
I'm a monarchist because monarchs are fancy
14%
I'm a monarchist because monarchies unite the people with an apolitical figure, a personification of the nation in a way
69%

Total votes : 147

The Austrians and Slovenes
Lobbyist

Founded: Nov 26, 2014
Ex-Nation

Why monarchy?

Postby The Austrians and Slovenes » Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:31 pm

I've been a lurker on this forum for a while and somehow I've managed to resit the urge to register and post. I've noticed there's a large number of monarchists (along with people with other eccentric political opinions).

When one looks-up 'benefits of monarchy' on Google one will be surprised at how many websites seem to have articles dedicated to this relatively-obscure subject. They all tell us the same thing; monarchies unite the people with the personification of the nation (the monarch) which is independent of politics and may cost less than ceremonial presidencies while serving as permanent (or long-term) ambassadors of the country and its people. Generally, I tend to sympathise with monarchies just because of possibly-anachronistic sentimentalism (and not because of the reasons presented above) but I'd like to know what the monarchist members and denizens of NSG have to say on why they support the aforementioned system of government.

I know there is no thread ownership in the NSG but I wouldn't like this thread to simply criticize or praise monarchies blindly; I want to know why NSG's monarchist are in fact monarchists. The arguments for a republic are quite repetitive and obvious so unless you've got an argument for a republic which you think will be unknown to the majority I'd recommend you don't post.
Last edited by The Austrians and Slovenes on Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nortrom
Envoy

Founded: Jan 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Nortrom » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:09 pm

Welcome to NationStates, Austrians and Slovenes.

I'm not a Monarchist but my opinion on it is that it's generally unneeded nowadays. Theoretically, a Monarch can be a valuable asset for a nation. They can unite the people, give a face to the nation and be a good representative of the nation's culture and principles. The can also be a part of more specific jobs such as an ambassador or even an active politician.

The problem nowadays is that nations aren't as homogenous as they used to be. And a Monarchy can't function properly when there are hundreds of different beliefs within the nation. A Monarch represents a religion, a culture and perhaps even a way of living. They will have to promote their beliefs and principles, that's their job after all. Why would a diverse country choose to have a powerful Monarch when there are other systems that are more suitable for the job?
\[T]/ Praise the Sun \[T]/

Estado Nacional
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 20, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Estado Nacional » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:15 pm

Because tradition, unity, prestige and inumerous other fluid concepts.
Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty.
Economic Left/Right: 3.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.82

Archeuland and Baughistan
Minister

Founded: Aug 14, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Archeuland and Baughistan » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:19 pm

Democracy divides more often than not. Monarchies unite.

Except in the case of civil wars...everyone deals with those.
Standing on the truth of God's word and the gospel.
Learn more about the true history of the world here.
You must be born again? What does that mean?
Islam, the religion of peace? What does history tell us?
The Israelites were "genocidal"? No they weren't!
Agenda 21 map - it affects us all!
Let's rebuild Noah's Ark to serve as a reminder about the true history of Earth!
Proud Foreign Minister of the Christian Liberty Alliance

☩Founder of the Alliance of Protestant Nations - Join today! Learn more here

Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby The Austrians and Slovenes » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:20 pm

Nortrom wrote:Welcome to NationStates, Austrians and Slovenes.

I'm not a Monarchist but my opinion on it is that it's generally unneeded nowadays. Theoretically, a Monarch can be a valuable asset for a nation. They can unite the people, give a face to the nation and be a good representative of the nation's culture and principles. The can also be a part of more specific jobs such as an ambassador or even an active politician.

The problem nowadays is that nations aren't as homogenous as they used to be. And a Monarchy can't function properly when there are hundreds of different beliefs within the nation. A Monarch represents a religion, a culture and perhaps even a way of living. They will have to promote their beliefs and principles, that's their job after all. Why would a diverse country choose to have a powerful Monarch when there are other systems that are more suitable for the job?

Thank you, Nortrom.

I am sure monarchs can adapt to their country's changing society. I do not think the remaining monarchs of the world actually represent the country's original religion, culture or way of life (with the exception of the Middle Eastern absolute monarchies and Swaziland). While it could be argued the UK's monarchy represents the Anglican religion this is more a technicality than anything else. Lastly, I think I'm mainly referring to constitutional monarchies where the monarch retains little to no power (hence the comparison with ceremonial presidencies).

Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby The Austrians and Slovenes » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:21 pm

Archeuland and Baughistan wrote:Democracy divides more often than not. Monarchies unite.

While democracy at times affects a country negatively autocracy hasn't really worked out (the system is simply not sustainable). In any case, I was referring to constitutional monarchies more than anything.

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:31 pm

A modern western monarch is (I'll use the UK as an example throughout this post), in a very literal sense, a "living constitution". They (along with the house of Lords) perform the same basic role as the constitution in the US: a barrier against the government doing anything too completely insane, whilst being better able to adapt to the needs of the time than a written document.
Cosara wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:Good thing most a majority of people aren't so small-minded, and frightened of other's sexuality.

Over 40% (including me), are, so I fixed the post for accuracy.

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Notice that the link is to the notes from a university course on probability. You clearly have nothing beyond the most absurdly simplistic understanding of the subject.
By choosing 1, you no longer have 0 probability of choosing 1. End of subject.

(read up the quote stack)

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

Sebastianbourg
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 06, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Sebastianbourg » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:35 pm

Salandriagado wrote:A modern western monarch is (I'll use the UK as an example throughout this post), in a very literal sense, a "living constitution". They (along with the house of Lords) perform the same basic role as the constitution in the US: a barrier against the government doing anything too completely insane, whilst being better able to adapt to the needs of the time than a written document.

It can be argued however, that the Queen and the House of Lords (or the future Senate if Labour has its way) are powerless in front of the power of the House of Commons.

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:46 pm

Sebastianbourg wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:A modern western monarch is (I'll use the UK as an example throughout this post), in a very literal sense, a "living constitution". They (along with the house of Lords) perform the same basic role as the constitution in the US: a barrier against the government doing anything too completely insane, whilst being better able to adapt to the needs of the time than a written document.

It can be argued however, that the Queen and the House of Lords (or the future Senate if Labour has its way) are powerless in front of the power of the House of Commons.

They aren't, though. They have precisely the amount of power that they need to have: they can't (practically) interfere with normal day to day stuff, but if it was something crazy extreme, they can step in and stop it, and have a decent shot at coming out on top. The extreme risks in doing this serve to prevent it from being used when it's not an actual emergency "stop this or we're fucked" kind of thing.
Cosara wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:Good thing most a majority of people aren't so small-minded, and frightened of other's sexuality.

Over 40% (including me), are, so I fixed the post for accuracy.

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Notice that the link is to the notes from a university course on probability. You clearly have nothing beyond the most absurdly simplistic understanding of the subject.
By choosing 1, you no longer have 0 probability of choosing 1. End of subject.

(read up the quote stack)

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby The Austrians and Slovenes » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:48 pm

Salandriagado wrote:
Sebastianbourg wrote:It can be argued however, that the Queen and the House of Lords (or the future Senate if Labour has its way) are powerless in front of the power of the House of Commons.

They aren't, though. They have precisely the amount of power that they need to have: they can't (practically) interfere with normal day to day stuff, but if it was something crazy extreme, they can step in and stop it, and have a decent shot at coming out on top. The extreme risks in doing this serve to prevent it from being used when it's not an actual emergency "stop this or we're fucked" kind of thing.

+1 for monarchy! Hurrah!

Sebastianbourg
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Sebastianbourg » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:49 pm

Salandriagado wrote:
Sebastianbourg wrote:It can be argued however, that the Queen and the House of Lords (or the future Senate if Labour has its way) are powerless in front of the power of the House of Commons.

I'd never thought of it that way. It only reinforces my monarchism then.

Valaran
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 25, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Valaran » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:52 pm

Salandriagado wrote:They aren't, though. They have precisely the amount of power that they need to have: they can't (practically) interfere with normal day to day stuff, but if it was something crazy extreme, they can step in and stop it, and have a decent shot at coming out on top. The extreme risks in doing this serve to prevent it from being used when it's not an actual emergency "stop this or we're fucked" kind of thing.

Well, this would be mainly the House of Lords rather than the monarch herself (it get's very legally uncertain if she decides to step in or refuse something). But I do agree with the point.
I used to run an alliance, and a region. Not that it matters now.
Archeuland and Baughistan wrote:"I don't always nice, but when I do, I build it up." Valaran
Valaran wrote:To be fair though.... I was judging on coolness factor, the most important criteria in any war.
Zoboyizakoplayoklot wrote:Val: NS's resident mindless zombie
Planita wrote:you just set the OP on fire

Northern European Senates remnants
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Northern European Senates remnants » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:58 pm

My nation is a constitutional Monarchy, it's where I have a figure head but they aren't an absolute monarchy where they rule everything. We have a monarchy simply because it Unites and gives the people someone to look up to, because everyone needs a leader. We also have it because it's democratic and civilians rule the country not the tsar. So really it's also because of the tradition it's quite hard to get rid of culture that has been around for centuries, and I guess that's the same for real life countries. And they look cool in their attire. :)
By the way this is my awesome factbook it would be muchly appreciated if you rated it, Thankyou
Please rate this Factbook
[color=#0040FF]

Dinake
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 25, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Dinake » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:01 pm

Northern European Senates remnants wrote:My nation is a constitutional Monarchy, it's where I have a figure head but they aren't an absolute monarchy where they rule everything. We have a monarchy simply because it Unites and gives the people someone to look up to, because everyone needs a leader. We also have it because it's democratic and civilians rule the country not the tsar. So really it's also because of the tradition it's quite hard to get rid of culture that has been around for centuries, and I guess that's the same for real life countries. And they look cool in their attire. :)

General is OOC.
Anyway, the main benefit to a monarchy is that it causes the population to be united regardless of political views or ethnicities.
Catholic traditionalist, anti-capitalist with medievalist/distributist influences, monarchist. The drunk uncle of nationstates. Puppet of Dio. Don't sell the vatican.
Look if you name your child "Reince Priebus" and he ends up as a functionary in an authoritarian regime you only have yourself to blame
-Ross Douthat, reacting to Trump's presumptive nomination.
Darrell Castle 2016!

Lalaki
Senator

Founded: May 11, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Lalaki » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:07 pm

I come from a country with a strong republican tradition. What I find is that Americans tend to be united based on national identity and common ideals instead of a monarch.

Ultimately it is up to the nation and its culture whether or not there should be a monarchy. I would prefer that the US remains a republic (as we don't have a tradition of kings/queens and don't really need one for unity), but I am happy if another country decides differently.
Born again free market capitalist.

Manisdog
Minister

Founded: Oct 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Manisdog » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:12 pm

You must have been seeing the Pro-Britain lobby, my friend it is because they are taught that way and fed that crap since school, also it is illegal to hold republican views over there

Sebastianbourg
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Sebastianbourg » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:15 pm

Manisdog wrote:You must have been seeing the Pro-Britain lobby, my friend it is because they are taught that way and fed that crap since school, also it is illegal to hold republican views over there

Here comes NSG's resident Anglophobe, Manisdog! FYI Manisdog, while it is technically treason to call for the abolition of the monarchy no-one has been tried for treason because of holding republican views since the mid-19th century. Yes, that law should be repealed but it's not like we throw all republicans in jail at Her Majesty's pleasure.

Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby The Austrians and Slovenes » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:17 pm

Lalaki wrote:I come from a country with a strong republican tradition. What I find is that Americans tend to be united based on national identity and common ideals instead of a monarch.

Ultimately it is up to the nation and its culture whether or not there should be a monarchy. I would prefer that the US remains a republic (as we don't have a tradition of kings/queens and don't really need one for unity), but I am happy if another country decides differently.

America is divided between the conservatives and the so-called liberals. The monarchy provides a uniting figure beyond politics that the US doesn't have.

Murkwood
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Murkwood » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:19 pm

Archeuland and Baughistan wrote:Democracy divides more often than not. Monarchies unite.

This. Stability is one of the major benefits of constitutional monarchy, as is unity and an enhance connection to a countries heritage. Also, it gets rid of the "mob rule" mentality that democracies have, with kings being non-partisan heads of state.

Semi-Constitutional is the same, but with an added check and balance, along with more leeway for the Monarch to deal with both important and unimportant issues.

Absolute Monarchy "makes the trains run on time", as the old saying goes. Absolute Monarchies have all the previous benefits and much more. One of the allures of Absolute Monarchy is that they have all the benefits of dictatorships, like an end to gridlock and political bickering, with checks and balances. An insane dictator can do as he pleases, but an insane or evil king will face more more opposition from his court.
Degenerate Heart of HetRio wrote:Murkwood, I'm surprised you're not an anti-Semite and don't mind most LGBT rights because boy, aren't you a constellation of the worst opinions to have about everything? o_o

Benuty wrote:I suppose Ken Ham, and the league of Republican-Neocolonialist-Zionist Catholics will not be pleased.

Soldati senza confini wrote:Did I just try to rationalize Murkwood's logic? Please shoot me.

Catholicism has the fullness of the splendor of truth: The Bible and the Church Fathers agree!

NERVUN
Retired Moderator

Founded: Mar 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby NERVUN » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:22 pm

The Austrians and Slovenes wrote:
Lalaki wrote:I come from a country with a strong republican tradition. What I find is that Americans tend to be united based on national identity and common ideals instead of a monarch.

America is divided between the conservatives and the so-called liberals. The monarchy provides a uniting figure beyond politics that the US doesn't have.

... You mean countries like Australia and Canada?

Oh, or Japan?

Seriously, having a monarch doesn't magically unite a country.

He or she can serve as a rallying symbol that is easier to affix to than a set of ideals or values, but it doesn't automatically happen.
To those who feel, life is a tragedy. To those who think, it's a comedy.
"Men, today you'll be issued small trees. Do what you can for the emperor's glory." -Daistallia 2104 on bonsai charges in WWII
Science may provide the means while religion provides the motivation but humanity and humanity alone provides the vehicle -DaWoad

One-Stop Rules Shop, read it, love it, live by it. Getting Help Mod email: nervun@nationstates.net NSG Glossary
Add 10,145 to post count from Jolt: I have it from an unimpeachable source, that Dark Side cookies look like the Death Star. The other ones look like butterflies, or bunnies, or something.-Grave_n_Idle

Proud Member of FMGADHPAC. Join today!

Manisdog
Minister

Founded: Oct 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Manisdog » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:23 pm

Sebastianbourg wrote:
Manisdog wrote:You must have been seeing the Pro-Britain lobby, my friend it is because they are taught that way and fed that crap since school, also it is illegal to hold republican views over there

Here comes NSG's resident Anglophobe, Manisdog! FYI Manisdog, while it is technically treason to call for the abolition of the monarchy no-one has been tried for treason because of holding republican views since the mid-19th century. Yes, that law should be repealed but it's not like we throw all republicans in jail at Her Majesty's pleasure.

Don't you think asking to for re-appealing that law would get the ire of your overlords ?

The fact remains it is illegal

The Union of the West
Minister

Founded: Jul 07, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Union of the West » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:28 pm

To be honest, if America had a tradition of monarchy, I would probably support it.
☩ Orthodox Christian ☩
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.

Fortschritte
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 25, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Fortschritte » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:31 pm

In some cases, a constitutional monarchy can be nice. It can help create a sense of national unity and identity, and spur things like tourism.

However, absolute monarchy is an absurd, tyrannical system of governance that has been swept into the dustbin of political irrelevance.
Fortschritte IIWiki |The Player Behind Fort
Moderate Centre Rightist, Ordoliberal, Pro LGBT, Social Liberal
OOC Pros & Cons | Fort's Political Party Rankings(Updated)
Political Things I've Written
Japan: Land of the Rising Debt | Explaining the West German Economic Miracle
Economic Left/Right: 1.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.41

The Cobalt Sky
Minister

Founded: Jul 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Cobalt Sky » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:31 pm

The Austrians and Slovenes wrote:I've been a lurker on this forum for a while and somehow I've managed to resit the urge to register and post. I've noticed there's a large number of monarchists (along with people with other eccentric political opinions).

When one looks-up 'benefits of monarchy' on Google one will be surprised at how many websites seem to have articles dedicated to this relatively-obscure subject. They all tell us the same thing; monarchies unite the people with the personification of the nation (the monarch) which is independent of politics and may cost less than ceremonial presidencies while serving as permanent (or long-term) ambassadors of the country and its people. Generally, I tend to sympathise with monarchies just because of possibly-anachronistic sentimentalism (and not because of the reasons presented above) but I'd like to know what the monarchist members and denizens of NSG have to say on why they support the aforementioned system of government.

I know there is no thread ownership in the NSG but I wouldn't like this thread to simply criticize or praise monarchies blindly; I want to know why NSG's monarchist are in fact monarchists. The arguments for a republic are quite repetitive and obvious so unless you've got an argument for a republic which you think will be unknown to the majority I'd recommend you don't post.

I've been wondering the same thing! I don't really get the idea. I always thought the idea of a permanent leader like that was kinda fascist in that no one really gets a say in who or what this person does, in that their duties, no matter how limited, Will be acted upon under their morals which probably aren't in the interests of the general republic because they'd probably see themselves as superior to everyone else (because they're a monarch)
I TRY TO KEEP MY WILD ASSERTIONS, AND I WILL DO MY BEST TO HOLD OFF POSTING WITH THIS NATION UNTIL 2016

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:33 pm

The Austrians and Slovenes wrote:I've been a lurker on this forum for a while and somehow I've managed to resit the urge to register and post. I've noticed there's a large number of monarchists (along with people with other eccentric political opinions).

Strong leadership, unity, and nationalism.

Its preferable to partisan politics which divide the nation and short-sighted politicians focused only on winning elections.

We could have a class of privileged individuals, born and bred with a sense of nobility and justice, trained from day one on how to govern as decisive, benevolent rulers.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General