NATION

PASSWORD

Secularism: Good or Bad?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:11 pm

Distruzio wrote:The word missing from that post is "civilized". Christianity civilized much of the world.

Christianity and Islam both nurtured the State apparatus and continue doing so throughout most of the world.
Secular States have shown themselves less than able to survive without religion being inextricably tied to them.

No.

Not at all.

Your later point is difficult to dispute because of the relative recentness of secular states, but let's not play white man's burden here, eh?
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

Distruzio
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Feb 28, 2011
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Distruzio » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:20 pm

Norstal wrote:
Distruzio wrote:
Goes? I havent claimed to be anarchist in years, Norstal. Moreover, what des that have to do with you intentionally misapprehending my comments.

You don't need to be an anarchist to go off on an anti-state spiel every now and then. And I can say the same for you not understanding my posts. Maybe instead of going on personal attacks and nitpicking my choice of words, you can ask what it is you don't understand?

Nitpicking a choice of words? Somehow different than the pedantry you accused me of?

There is no confusion on my part. I stated that christianity and islam have civilized much of the world. The implication being that, in areas without significant influence from either religion, where civilization exists nonetheless it must be due to the institutionalization of other religions. Given that i did not make the claim that there was a lack of civilizing influences beyond the religions mentioned, it is clearly deduced that i was not speaking about most of the world but, rather, much of the world.

If you are confused, feel free to ask.
Eastern Orthodox Christian
Christ is King
Glorify Him

capitalism is not natural
secularism is not neutral
liberalism is not tolerant

Kelinfort
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kelinfort » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:21 pm

Conserative Morality wrote:
Distruzio wrote:The word missing from that post is "civilized". Christianity civilized much of the world.

Christianity and Islam both nurtured the State apparatus and continue doing so throughout most of the world.
Secular States have shown themselves less than able to survive without religion being inextricably tied to them.

No.

Not at all.

Your later point is difficult to dispute because of the relative recentness of secular states, but let's not play white man's burden here, eh?

Take up the White Man's Burden
Send the best fries ye bake

Distruzio
Postmaster of the Fleet

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Distruzio » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:21 pm

No.

Not at all.

No? How not?

White mans burden? Im not clear about your meaning.
Christ is King
Glorify Him

Kelinfort
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Kelinfort » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:21 pm

Distruzio wrote:
Conserative Morality wrote:No.

Not at all.

No? How not?

What is civilisation?

Distruzio
Postmaster of the Fleet

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Distruzio » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:24 pm

Kelinfort wrote:
Distruzio wrote:
No? How not?

What is civilisation?

If you mean "civilized" as i used it then it is the process by which society attains a more elevated stage of social development and organization.
Christ is King
Glorify Him

Kelinfort
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Kelinfort » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:27 pm

Distruzio wrote:
Kelinfort wrote:What is civilisation?

If you mean "civilized" as i used it then it is the process by which society attains a more elevated stage of social development and organization.

And what exactly do you mean by that? Would you consider the Mongol Empire a civilisation?

Distruzio
Postmaster of the Fleet

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Distruzio » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:31 pm

Kelinfort wrote:
Distruzio wrote:

And what exactly do you mean by that? Would you consider the Mongol Empire a civilisation?

A civilization? Yes. Civilized? No.
Christ is King
Glorify Him

Communist Volkstrad
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 22, 2014
Father Knows Best State

Postby Communist Volkstrad » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:32 pm

Distruzio wrote:
Kelinfort wrote:And what exactly do you mean by that? Would you consider the Mongol Empire a civilisation?

That seems contrary.
I'm not actually a communist.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:33 pm

Distruzio wrote:No? How not?

The world was civilized long before Islam and Christianity. They had positive and negative effects, but civilizing the world isn't among them.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:33 pm

Distruzio wrote:A civilization? Yes. Civilized? No.

What?

On what grounds would you not consider the Mongol Empire under Genghis Khan civilized?

The Union of Tentacles and Grapes
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 22, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Union of Tentacles and Grapes » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:34 pm

Distruzio wrote:
Kelinfort wrote:And what exactly do you mean by that? Would you consider the Mongol Empire a civilisation?

Yet you claim that religion is critical to becoming "civilized". The mongols were very religious, yet you say they were not civilized. What's missing then, because you have demonstrated that religion is insufficient to civilize.

Distruzio
Postmaster of the Fleet

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Distruzio » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:35 pm

Distruzio wrote:No? How not?

The world was civilized long before Islam and Christianity. They had positive and negative effects, but civilizing the world isn't among them.

Civilizing a society is a process, CM. Not a threshold.
Christ is King
Glorify Him

Distruzio
Postmaster of the Fleet

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Distruzio » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:36 pm

Communist Volkstrad wrote:
Distruzio wrote:

That seems contrary.

I can be corrected.
Christ is King
Glorify Him

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:36 pm

The Union of Tentacles and Grapes wrote:Yet you claim that religion is critical to becoming "civilized". The mongols were very religious, yet you say they were not civilized. What's missing then, because you have demonstrated that religion is insufficient to civilize.

The early Mongol Empire counted a great number of Christians and Muslims in the ranks of their administration, even in Mongolia itself. Genghis Khan's adoptive father was a Christian. Several of his children were Christians. A Christian descendant of his tried to make a pact with European Christians against Islam. Guyuk Khan traded letters with the Pope. God, this makes me mad.

Distruzio
Postmaster of the Fleet

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Distruzio » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:37 pm

The Union of Tentacles and Grapes wrote:
Distruzio wrote:

Yet you claim that religion is critical to becoming "civilized". The mongols were very religious, yet you say they were not civilized. What's missing then, because you have demonstrated that religion is insufficient to civilize.

.... ive no idea, really. A hipfire response seems to have been made in error. I am corrected then.
Christ is King
Glorify Him

Distruzio
Postmaster of the Fleet

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Distruzio » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:38 pm

The Union of Tentacles and Grapes wrote:Yet you claim that religion is critical to becoming "civilized". The mongols were very religious, yet you say they were not civilized. What's missing then, because you have demonstrated that religion is insufficient to civilize.

The early Mongol Empire counted a great number of Christians and Muslims in the ranks of their administration, even in Mongolia itself. Genghis Khan's adoptive father was a Christian. Several of his children were Christians. A Christian descendant of his tried to make a pact with European Christians against Islam. Guyuk Khan traded letters with the Pope. God, this makes me mad.

Indeed. Apologies. I was wrong.
Christ is King
Glorify Him

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:38 pm

Distruzio wrote:.... ive no idea, really. A hipfire response seems to have been made in error. I am corrected then.

Apologies. I go off on this subject because the misconception is just so widespread and so terribly wrong.

Damn cultural perceptions.

Distruzio
Postmaster of the Fleet

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Distruzio » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:39 pm

Distruzio wrote:.... ive no idea, really. A hipfire response seems to have been made in error. I am corrected then.

Apologies. I go off on this subject because the misconception is just so widespread and so terribly wrong.

Damn cultural perceptions.

Believe me. Bigot that i am, i feel the same way about Christianity.
Christ is King
Glorify Him

The Union of Tentacles and Grapes
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 22, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Union of Tentacles and Grapes » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:40 pm

I was demonstrating that his definition for "civilized" and his idea about the progress of civilization was nonsense. I'm not goint to pretend that ghengis khan didn't make a huge civilization(out of a very small one).

Distruzio
Postmaster of the Fleet

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Distruzio » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:40 pm

Distruzio wrote:A civilization? Yes. Civilized? No.

What?

On what grounds would you not consider the Mongol Empire under Genghis Khan civilized?

Filthy cultural superiority and a lack of education on the subject. Poor bedfellows, really.
Christ is King
Glorify Him

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:54 pm

Distruzio wrote:Civilizing a society is a process, CM. Not a threshold.

And I'm of the opinion that religion generally doesn't directly affect that process, and that at a certain point in the process, the world can be divided into 'broadly civilized' and 'broadly uncivilized'.

Distruzio
Postmaster of the Fleet

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Distruzio » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:58 pm

Distruzio wrote:Civilizing a society is a process, CM. Not a threshold.

And I'm of the opinion that religion generally doesn't directly affect that process, and that at a certain point in the process, the world can be divided into 'broadly civilized' and 'broadly uncivilized'.

That could only be if you used a different definition than i do.

What is it?
Christ is King
Glorify Him

Archeuland and Baughistan
Minister

Founded: Aug 14, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Archeuland and Baughistan » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:00 pm

I actually just want to say that I oppose secularism, so everyone is aware.
Standing on the truth of God's word and the gospel.
Learn more about the true history of the world here.
You must be born again? What does that mean?
Islam, the religion of peace? What does history tell us?
The Israelites were "genocidal"? No they weren't!
Agenda 21 map - it affects us all!
Let's rebuild Noah's Ark to serve as a reminder about the true history of Earth!
Proud Foreign Minister of the Christian Liberty Alliance

☩Founder of the Alliance of Protestant Nations - Join today! Learn more here

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:04 pm

Distruzio wrote:That could only be if you used a different definition than i do.

What is it?

Development and application of philosophical and organizational concepts in society.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General