NATION

PASSWORD

What are your thoughts on Atheism?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Valaran
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 25, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Valaran » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:48 am

Dyakovo wrote:I didn't ask if you had knowledge about a deity's existence, I asked if you believed one (or more) existed (which, BTW, is a question that is yes/no).

Fine, this then: I believe there could be a god.

But since my believes are usually defined by knowledge, which I lack here, I have no definitive answer.
I used to run an alliance, and a region. Not that it matters now.
Archeuland and Baughistan wrote:"I don't always nice, but when I do, I build it up." Valaran
Valaran wrote:To be fair though.... I was judging on coolness factor, the most important criteria in any war.
Zoboyizakoplayoklot wrote:Val: NS's resident mindless zombie
Planita wrote:you just set the OP on fire

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 05, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:48 am

Myrensis wrote:I am an atheist. I spend about as much time thinking about it as i do about my lack of belief in Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy, and Underpants Gnomes.

Are you implying that I shouldn't spend my time thinking about Underpants Gnomes?

Asterdan
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 14, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby Asterdan » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:49 am

Dyakovo wrote:
Asterdan wrote:Athiesm is a bleak, illogical outlook on life, that makes little to no sense.

Actually, the illogical position is to believe something which has no evidence exists.

He's shown himself a few too many times for me not to believe, but I know that nothing I will say can change mind.

Merizoc wrote:
Myrensis wrote:I am an atheist. I spend about as much time thinking about it as i do about my lack of belief in Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy, and Underpants Gnomes.

Are you implying that I shouldn't spend my time thinking about Underpants Gnomes?

I thought everyone spent their time thinking about Underpants Gnomes. And pizza.
You can call me Aster. Yes, I did revive this nation... Again...

If you aren't hurting anyone, putting anyone in danger, or infringing on the rights of others, it isn't the governments business what you do.
Bill Weld 2020

New DeCapito
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 01, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby New DeCapito » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:52 am

Asterdan wrote:
New DeCapito wrote:Thank you for bringing me to my second point.

The Bible was created thousands of years ago so that early men understood why they existed. If the Bible had been created in, say, 2000, it would have been laughed at.

If the Bible had been created in, say, 2000, it would not be written in that language. It would have a more scientific explanation because we'd be able to understand it more.

So what you're saying here, is that if the Bible had been created now, it would have been explained by Science?
Doesn't this imply that there is no need for Christianity?
You just made an argument against yourself.
Liberal, egalitarian. Correct me if I become too outspoken.

Creepoc Infinite
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 14, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Creepoc Infinite » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:52 am

Asterdan wrote:Athiesm is a bleak, illogical outlook on life, that makes little to no sense.

First of all, screw you, second of all, you are 5000% wrong.
Third, explain your logic for this opinion
And fourth, I say the same about theism (for the most part)
Signed, Creepoc Infinite
Secularism should be implemented everywhere at all times, get god out of politics. Get god away from impressionable children while you're at it.
check out my region, here.
Star Wars:http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=328953

Eastern Equestria
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 17, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Eastern Equestria » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:53 am

Asterdan wrote:
Eastern Equestria wrote:
So you believe in intelligent design, then?

Basically, yes. Evolution and all that, except with a guiding hand.

Well frankly you shouldn't. The human body and the world we live in are very far from perfect, and do more to harm us than help us quite honestly. It'd be more apt to state that we've been unintelligently designed.

Valerion
Envoy

Founded: Jan 28, 2014
Father Knows Best State

Postby Valerion » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:53 am

I'm an atheist, but i used to be a christian growing up, I went to a religious school which forced prayer unto all it's students and church attendance at least 6-8 times a year (which wasn't all bad, as it skipped lessons). But as I became older, I realized religion was teaching me lies, and I refused to participate in the communion nearly everyone in the school did, this utterly outrageous action angered some of my teachers so much, they had me tested for ADHD, which found I was actually Intellectually Gifted, the best part about it was seeing my teacher so shocked at the results. Luckily my parents didn't really care about religion, so that was that.
Do you like...Bananas?

Politics! and stuff..?
Political Compass:
Economic Left/Right: -8.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.77

Social Attitude Test!

Obligatory for and against!
For: Bananas, Monarchy, Equal rights, Science, Unity, Transhumanism, Free speech
Meh: Technocracy
Against: Democracy, Organized Religion, Stagnation

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:54 am

Valaran wrote:
Ifreann wrote:No one asked what you know. You were asked whether you believe.

It was a way to explain my reasoning for my later points rather than the answer.

Then you're an atheist.

Not having a strong opinion on religion & atheism would not equate to being an atheist for me. (I should have clarified in my previous post and said opinion, not belief)

This is, though. You either believe or you don't. There's no other option. You might not know the answer, and it might change over the course of your life, but there are only two answers.

I'm saying I don't know if I believe.

By your view then, agnostics have to be theists or atheists? The definition is so abolsute that ambiguity must fall on the atheistic side?

If you "don't know if you believe", then it is clear that you don't currently believe, ergo you are (currently at least) an atheist. Atheism is not, as you seem to believe "a strong belief in the lack of a deity", it is the lack of belief in a deity (or deities).
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent...
Freedom from religion is an integral part of Freedom of religion
Married to Koshka
USMC veteran MOS 0331/8152
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Ifreann: Odds are you're secretly a zebra with a very special keyboard.
Ostro: I think women need to be trained
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Sauvage
Spokesperson

Founded: May 17, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Sauvage » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:56 am

Atheism is impossible, you can't now believe in a creation of the universe by a force greater than our own. The big bang is god! I say we ban those dumb teenagers and all that "Science says that the world was made from peanut butter." Hogwash, I should be allowed to eat all the nabberjacks I want without some lillylivered jerkface from California telling me my belief that the bible is a book instead of a robert!

But seriously guys, stop talking about this. No one here will change, everyone here is here for the sake of the argument and doesn't intend on actually taking any facts you take into consideration. All they care about is pulling you to the opposing side. And when everyone is trying to do that it's just some whiney kids crying about how they are right and you are wrong.

Creepoc Infinite wrote:

He most likely said that because of how you just responded to him. You proved his belief that you are bleak. Considering you just outright attacked him in your first point. (In other words, he accused you of having a stick up your bum and you proved it)
Leader: Rroric Edford
Region:Briens GreenHill

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:58 am

Asterdan wrote:
Dyakovo wrote:Actually, the illogical position is to believe something which has no evidence exists.

He's shown himself

Sauce?
Married to Koshka
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

New DeCapito
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby New DeCapito » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:58 am

Sauvage wrote:But seriously guys, stop talking about this. No one here will change, everyone here is here for the sake of the argument and doesn't intend on actually taking any facts you take into consideration. All they care about is pulling you to the opposing side. And when everyone is trying to do that it's just some whiney kids crying about how they are right and you are wrong.

Damn, I just fell into this trap, and I hope the person I'm currently arguing with will realise they have too.

But hey, at least I'm considering his arguments.
Last edited by New DeCapito on Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

Bojikami
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 24, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Bojikami » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:59 am

I am an atheist, and I'm rather indifferent to it. Being atheist doesn't make you special or anything.
Be gay, do crime.
23 year old nonbinary trans woman(She/They), also I'm a Marxist-Leninist.
Economic Left/Right: -10.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 2.33

Valaran
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Valaran » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:59 am

Dyakovo wrote:If you "don't know if you believe", then it is clear that you don't currently believe, ergo you are (currently at least) an atheist. Atheism is not, as you seem to believe "a strong belief in the lack of a deity", it is the lack of belief in a deity (or deities).

I wouldn't say that it is clear that I don't believe. That I don't know if I believe would to my mind suggests that it is anything but clear.

I never mentioned strength of non-belief being the definition of atheism. On the contrary, your view seems to be that I need sufficient belief in a deity in order not to be an atheist. But whether I have the sufficient level of belief is unknown.
Archeuland and Baughistan wrote:"I don't always nice, but when I do, I build it up." Valaran
Valaran wrote:To be fair though.... I was judging on coolness factor, the most important criteria in any war.

Asterdan
Negotiator

Father Knows Best State

Postby Asterdan » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:00 am

New DeCapito wrote:
Asterdan wrote:
If the Bible had been created in, say, 2000, it would not be written in that language. It would have a more scientific explanation because we'd be able to understand it more.

So what you're saying here, is that if the Bible had been created now, it would have been explained by Science?

No, because without Christianity we wouldn't have the spiritual side. I'm saying creation, etc. would have been explained more scientifically, God created Science. We'd still have the spiritual side to look at.

Eastern Equestria wrote:
Asterdan wrote:

Basically, yes. Evolution and all that, except with a guiding hand.

Well frankly you shouldn't. The human body and the world we live in are very far from perfect, and do more to harm us than help us quite honestly. It'd be more apt to state that we've been unintelligently designed.
'

Did I say we were done cooking? Either way, we tend to live long, healthy lives. We're at the top of the food chain. Society has caused the world to end up in the mess that it is today.

Creepoc Infinite wrote:

1. I'd rather not.
2. 98% of statistics are made up on the spot ;)
3. Everything just fits too well together. This all randomly happening just doesn't make sense. I had another thing to say, but my mind strayed and I forgot what it was...
4. How is it bleak? We look forward to living good lives, having fun, and then going on to spend eternity in an amazing land. Atheism well.... when you're done, you're done.

If you aren't hurting anyone, putting anyone in danger, or infringing on the rights of others, it isn't the governments business what you do.
Bill Weld 2020

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:01 am

Sauvage wrote:Atheism is impossible,

The existence of atheists proves that claim wrong.
Married to Koshka

Tagmatium
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 17, 2004
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Tagmatium » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:01 am

Asterdan wrote:
New DeCapito wrote:So what you're saying here, is that if the Bible had been created now, it would have been explained by Science?

No, because without Christianity we wouldn't have the spiritual side. I'm saying creation, etc. would have been explained more scientifically, God created Science. We'd still have the spiritual side to look at.

There are other religions than Christianity, so to state that without it, there would be no spiritual side is ill informed at best.
Last edited by Tagmatium on Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
The above post may or may not be serious.
"For too long, we have been a passive, tolerant society, saying to our citizens: as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone."
North Calaveras wrote:Tagmatium, it was never about pie...

Cetacea
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 27, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Cetacea » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:02 am

I don't believe in Atheism, You have no faith in it either. :p

My biggest issue with Atheism is that it is usually just an excuse to dis Christianity rather than enter rationale debate on the topic of Human faith - which even if it is merely psychological conditioning, is real regardless of whether there are gods or not.

I'm a panentheist myself, so I view Christianity as equally valid to Shinto or Germanic Heathenism. Atheist however need to refocus their debates from "Heh Christians are dumb because FSM and pink whales on Europa to Why do humans require faith as a psychological pillar and how does consciousness work at a quantum level?"

Asterdan
Negotiator

Father Knows Best State

Postby Asterdan » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:02 am

Dyakovo wrote:
Asterdan wrote:
He's shown himself

Sauce?

Yes, I like sauce. Honeymustard is amazing.

Dyakovo wrote:
Valaran wrote:
It was a way to explain my reasoning for my later points rather than the answer.

Not having a strong opinion on religion & atheism would not equate to being an atheist for me. (I should have clarified in my previous post and said opinion, not belief)

I'm saying I don't know if I believe.

By your view then, agnostics have to be theists or atheists? The definition is so abolsute that ambiguity must fall on the atheistic side?

If you "don't know if you believe", then it is clear that you don't currently believe, ergo you are (currently at least) an atheist. Atheism is not, as you seem to believe "a strong belief in the lack of a deity", it is the lack of belief in a deity (or deities).

No... that would be "Agnosticism", which is not knowing, they believe there COULD be a God, they just don't know. Atheism is a belief that there is no God.

Bill Weld 2020

Sauvage
Spokesperson

Founded: May 17, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Sauvage » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:02 am

Dyakovo wrote:
Sauvage wrote:Atheism is impossible,

The existence of atheists proves that claim wrong.

Proof is impossible.
Leader: Rroric Edford
Region:Briens GreenHill

Creepoc Infinite
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 14, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Creepoc Infinite » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:03 am

Creepoc Infinite wrote:

He most likely said that because of how you just responded to him. You proved his belief that you are bleak. Considering you just outright attacked him in your first point. (In other words, he accused you of having a stick up your bum and you proved it)[/quote]
Not really. I said that because what he said is both not intrinsically true, and it is insulting.
Second of all, I want him to explain that bullshit claim as best he can.
Signed, Creepoc Infinite
Secularism should be implemented everywhere at all times, get god out of politics. Get god away from impressionable children while you're at it.
check out my region, here.
Star Wars:http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=328953

New DeCapito
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby New DeCapito » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:03 am

Asterdan wrote:
New DeCapito wrote:So what you're saying here, is that if the Bible had been created now, it would have been explained by Science?

Two points:
1. Let's assume there's a god. Why would he create Science if it convinces so many people that he doesn't exist? Surely better to say, "Hi guys! I exist!" and then everyone would believe him.
2. I hope you've realised that you're trying to convert me to Christianity.

Valaran
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Valaran » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:03 am

Asterdan wrote:
No... that would be "Agnosticism", which is not knowing, they believe there COULD be a God, they just don't know. Atheism is a belief that there is no God.

Exactly. We were arguing over if agnosticism was atheism in my specific case.

Mujerpotencia
Political Columnist

Founded: Mar 30, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Mujerpotencia » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:03 am

New DeCapito wrote:

I'm sorry, but...

Atheists take the views of science. Science works because it is based on facts that can be proven to be right.
Theists, let's say Christians, take the views of God, and the Bible. They are expected to simply believe that God exists. The Bible may appear to be evidence to God, but not every book is non-fiction.

This argument is why I cannot believe in God.

The problems with this argument are numerous, but I am going to address the principle one- that you assume that the views of science contradict the existence of a god, or that they contradict Christian theology. In fact, they confirm it. The fact that to a certain point, Science can't explain everything, that there comes a time when scientific knowledge is limited- eventually we as scientists have to look at the complexities of the natural world and ask the question, "why?" and "How?" Down to the smallest elements of matter, the electron, the proton, why do they exist? How were they created? This is where we get into theories, which are just that- theories. In a way, science is a religion as well because when it cannot explain something it poses a possible explanation.

The bible is not meant to be taken literally. The importance is in the underlying thread of truth- it is in a sense, a guide to how we can transcend our physical restrictions and impulses that tether us to science and address the world on a higher level of meaning, and become more one with god. God is not necessarily a man, but it is the easiest way to describe him in human terms- what he is we in our present state cannot comprehend because we are still tethered to our bodies.

Science, especially biomedicine, is culturally relative in many ways. Taking the ideas of science as the sacrosanct truth is actually very dangerous because it does not take into account that there are other ways of viewing a phenomenon that have an equal amount of verity.

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:05 am

Valaran wrote:
Dyakovo wrote:If you "don't know if you believe", then it is clear that you don't currently believe, ergo you are (currently at least) an atheist. Atheism is not, as you seem to believe "a strong belief in the lack of a deity", it is the lack of belief in a deity (or deities).

I wouldn't say that it is clear that I don't believe. That I don't know if I believe would to my mind suggests that it is anything but clear.

I never mentioned strength of non-belief being the definition of atheism. On the contrary, your view seems to be that I need sufficient belief in a deity in order not to be an atheist. But whether I have the sufficient level of belief is unknown.

Because that's how it works. If you believe a deity (or deities) exist you are a theist. If you don't, you are an atheist. There are no other positions.
Married to Koshka

Kalosia
Minister

Founded: Jan 09, 2013
Democratic Socialists

Postby Kalosia » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:07 am

I think it's kinda funny how pagans and polytheists back then feared the arrival of monotheist, Abrahamic religions and saw it as a threat to their beliefs.

And then nowadays there are people who just don't worship anything or anyone. The polytheists of yesterday would be horrified.
Mediterranea > Mediterra > Kalosia
/kə'loʊʒɑː/ (english) /kɑː'lɒsiːɑː/ (kalosian)
Factbook | Official Website

WorldVision Song Contest results
World Hit Festival results (incomplete)

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General