NATION

PASSWORD

Ken Ham: New York Court May Grand "Personhood" to Chimpanzee

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Should a chimpanzee be given human rights?

Yes
34%
No
66%

Total votes : 140

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Black Forrest » Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:07 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:
Again how are they inferior? Chimps are stronger then we are, are capable of easily moving through the forest trees in a way we cannot. They have abilities we do not have, just as we are capable of things they cannot do. So how are they inferior to us?

We are smarter,

Oh I think NSG proves that wrong. ;)

we build machines,

Do they need them?

write plays,

Do they need them?

can launch things into space,

Do they need to do that?

write laws, and destroy entire cities

Do they need to do those?

We are here having this sophisticated conversation, they are not.[/quote]
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:08 pm

Archeuland and Baughistan wrote:
Utceforp wrote:This is relevant how?

I think scripture can be used in an argument, so it is relevant. People cite all sorts of writings in arguments, why not holy scripture as well?

Ok. Give me a test to prove or disprove God said that.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:09 pm

Nord Amour wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:
We are smarter, we build machines, write plays, can launch things into space, write laws, and destroy entire cities

We are here having this sophisticated conversation, they are not.

We can experience a greater range of suffering. If anything, that makes us inferior to much of the animal kingdom...

But that's beside the point. The point is that chimps are not people, and while they deserve to be protected from cruelty and abuse they should not be treated the same as thinking humans under the law.

Chimps have ranges of suffering too.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:10 pm

God, no. Human rights are reserved for humans. We don't extend human rights to bacteria, to insects, to fish or to cows, so why chimps?
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:10 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:
As far as I am concerned humans are not supreme, however due to my own self interest I see no problem in treating humans as more important.

We are the Master race on Earth. The law should be written and understood and shaped in our holy image. Its called Human rights for a reason.

As Rorschach said on the topic:

MEN go to prison. Dogs get put down.

I think my sarcasm meter exploded.

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:11 pm

Archeuland and Baughistan wrote:Sources

http://blogs.answersingenesis.org/blogs ... himpanzee/
http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-29542829
http://www.nonhumanrightsproject.org/20 ... ommy-case/
http://www.nonhumanrightsproject.org/20 ... and-leo-2/
http://www.nonhumanrightsproject.org/20 ... ommy-case/
https://answersingenesis.org/theistic-e ... evolution/
https://answersingenesis.org/are-humans-animals/

Human rights may no longer be just for humans. A group called the Nonhuman Rights Project is currently involved in a legal battle to get a 26-year-old chimpanzee named Tommy recognized as a legal person deserving of certain legal rights, such as “bodily liberty and bodily integrity.” The group claims that Tommy “is being unlawfully imprisoned and therefore being deprived of his fundamental common law right to bodily liberty.” Of course, this chimp only has a right to bodily liberty if it is recognized as a person, which is currently what the court is trying to decide. Last year, judges denied Tommy and three other chimpanzees legal personhood, so the NhRP appealed all of the cases. On October 8, 2014, the group again presented their case and an answer from the judges is expected in four to six weeks.

If you start with God’s Word as the basis for your thinking, you will see that humans do not have rights simply because we are autonomous, self-aware beings, but because we are made in the image of God! Those who wrote the Declaration of Independence recognized this: “We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness”(emphasis mine). Humans—and only humans—were created in God’s image (Genesis 1:27). It is humans who have rights because our Creator gave us those rights—He did not give those rights to chimpanzees, dolphins, or elephants!

According to Ken Ham of Answers in Genesis, a New York Court will be considering offering personhood to a chimpanzee!

What say you on this, NSG?

Can't be any worse than a lot of humans that are considered persons.
Hail Satan!
Happily married to Roan Cara, The first RL NS marriage, and Pope Joan is my Father-in-law.
I edit my posts to fix typos.

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:12 pm

Conserative Morality wrote:God, no. Human rights are reserved for humans. We don't extend human rights to bacteria, to insects, to fish or to cows, so why chimps?

See my post above.
Hail Satan!
Happily married to Roan Cara, The first RL NS marriage, and Pope Joan is my Father-in-law.

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:12 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:
How so, they are capable of using tools and language. Why is intelligence the most important trait, why not strength or speed or numbers or the ability to fly or the ability to live underwater without any devices? Why not size, or camouflage or any number of other things.

If we went to war, there is no question we would prevail in the field of battle.

Oh wait. I forgot you're Kefka. Sorry I forgot about you. :D
Last edited by The Black Forrest on Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sacred United Rome
Attaché

Founded: Oct 21, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Sacred United Rome » Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:13 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
We really shouldn't be giving them rights. We should be giving the rights and responsibilities to humans as to how to properly care for the inferior creatures.

Again how are they inferior? Chimps are stronger then we are, are capable of easily moving through the forest trees in a way we cannot. They have abilities we do not have, just as we are capable of things they cannot do. So how are they inferior to us?
Telegraph me when chimps make nukes.
Last edited by Sacred United Rome on Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:13 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:
How so, they are capable of using tools and language. Why is intelligence the most important trait, why not strength or speed or numbers or the ability to fly or the ability to live underwater without any devices? Why not size, or camouflage or any number of other things.

If we went to war, there is no question we would prevail in the field of battle.

This isn't Dawn of the Planet of the Apes. :p
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:13 pm

Big Jim P wrote:See my post above.

Aristocratic ideals don't appeal to me.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.

The Royally United Provinces
Minister

Founded: Dec 07, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Royally United Provinces » Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:14 pm

The Liberated Territories wrote:Although there are no examples of individual possession of private property, we have both evidence personal property (chimps seem to get pissed if you take their shit away from them) and collectively owned property, (e.g. chimps will defend and patrol areas of land from rival chimps).

Deducing from this, I can assume that the chimpanzee has some knowledge of personhood, but probably not enough that it warrants full rights on par with humans.

Chimpanzees also rip out people's faces, I believe. I seem to recall a story from a few years ago...

Humans do to. I know I'm late but...
Councillor of the Alliance of Nobles
Proud Member of the INTERNATIONAL FREEDOM COALITION!
#ValaranSoFab
Proud member of the Monarchist Federation!
NStracker (it works)

Immoren
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2010
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Immoren » Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:14 pm

Conserative Morality wrote:God, no. Human rights are reserved for humans. We don't extend human rights to bacteria, to insects, to fish or to cows, so why chimps?

Because they're brothers.*nods*
IC Flag Is a Pope Principia
discoursedrome wrote:everyone knows that quote, "I know not what weapons World War Three will be fought, but World War Four will be fought with sticks and stones," but in a way it's optimistic and inspiring because it suggests that even after destroying civilization and returning to the stone age we'll still be sufficiently globalized and bellicose to have another world war right then and there

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:15 pm

Conserative Morality wrote:
Big Jim P wrote:See my post above.

Aristocratic ideals don't appeal to me.

That is not an aristocratic ideal, merely an expression of reality.
Hail Satan!

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:15 pm

"Lesser" animals have been granted legal personhood before.
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent...
Freedom from religion is an integral part of Freedom of religion
Married to Koshka
USMC veteran MOS 0331/8152
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Ifreann: Odds are you're secretly a zebra with a very special keyboard.
Ostro: I think women need to be trained
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:15 pm

Immoren wrote:

I can't speak for anyone else's fatherly misadventures, but I'm pretty sure I haven't any chimp brothers. :p

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:15 pm

Immoren wrote:

And sisters. lrn2PC. :p
Hail Satan!

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:16 pm

Immoren wrote:Because they're brothers.*nods*

I can't speak for anyone else's fatherly misadventures, but I'm pretty sure I haven't any chimp brothers. :p

Unfortunately I do know my family, and the chimps are often the better part of the tree.
Hail Satan!

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:16 pm

Indeed... Ken Ham is considered a person.
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent...
Freedom from religion is an integral part of Freedom of religion
Married to Koshka
USMC veteran MOS 0331/8152
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Ifreann: Odds are you're secretly a zebra with a very special keyboard.
Ostro: I think women need to be trained
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Immoren
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2010
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Immoren » Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:16 pm

Immoren wrote:Because they're brothers.*nods*

Phylogenetically speaking. :p
IC Flag Is a Pope Principia
discoursedrome wrote:everyone knows that quote, "I know not what weapons World War Three will be fought, but World War Four will be fought with sticks and stones," but in a way it's optimistic and inspiring because it suggests that even after destroying civilization and returning to the stone age we'll still be sufficiently globalized and bellicose to have another world war right then and there

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:16 pm

Big Jim P wrote:

You can deny it all you want, but petty elitism is an integral part of aristocracy.

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:17 pm

Utceforp wrote:

Chimps are incapable of writing novels,

They don't need them.

building cities

They don't need them.

and nations,

Well; they have troops and territories.

having marriages and families,

Try again.

communicating with sophistication,

You speak chimp?

using the Internet,

Actually some do.

inventing new things,

They don't need to.

developing scientific theories...

They don't need them.

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:18 pm

Big Jim P wrote:

You can deny it all you want, but petty elitism is an integral part of aristocracy.

I am denying nothing. I am not the one who came up with the erroneous idea that all people are equal.
Hail Satan!

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:18 pm

Dyakovo wrote:
"Lesser" animals have been granted legal personhood before.

Under what philosophical grounds? It's a legal fiction to integrate strange cases within the law, like corporations having personhood.

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:19 pm

Utceforp wrote:Yep. I agree, humans are superior to Chimps. Biblical arguments for that are BS though.

You see, I disagree with that. I think the Bible can be used as an argument just as people source other texts in discussion. When did the Bible become off-limits? That's certainly intolerant of you, to be honest.

Bible is not valid for discussion about Chimpanzees.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General