NATION

PASSWORD

Ministers threatened with arrest

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Is it legal to arrest the ministers?

Yes
47%
No
53%

Total votes : 374

Grenartia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 14, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:21 pm

Amacia wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:
It's a business so the same is in play.

It's simple. If there is an open sign, they have to follow the rules.

He said businesses aren't capable of beliefs. A sole proprietorship is. As is a general partnership.

A sole proprietorship is not capable of having beliefs. The person running might, but not the proprietorship itself. That's about as stupid as saying that my car is capable of having beliefs, because I'm its sole owner and I'm capable of having beliefs.
Lib-left. Antifascist, antitankie, anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist (including the imperialism of non-western countries). Christian (Unitarian Universalist). Background in physics.
Mostly a girl. She or they pronouns, please. Unrepentant transbian.
Reject tradition, embrace modernity.
People who call themselves based NEVER are.
The truth about kids transitioning.

Grenartia
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:26 pm

Master Shake wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:
They were a business, not a church.

Heh...This reminds me of the christian BAKERY/store that wouldn't make a sex cake....

I think they lost their lawsuit too... :(

EDIT this brings up an interesting point...

Should religious corporations be exempt from laws that govern other corporations?

I say yes...

I wonder what Idaho state law says on this matter....

No, they shouldn't. "Muh religion" doesn't excuse you breaking any other law, so why should it excuse discrimination?
Lib-left. Antifascist, antitankie, anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist (including the imperialism of non-western countries). Christian (Unitarian Universalist). Background in physics.

Grenartia
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:30 pm

Aahmerica wrote:1. In my opinion marriage rights should have never been the government's business.
2. Marriage is a religious construct right? Seperation of church and state and all that.
3. I think they should be allowed to practice what they want, not be forced by the government.

I could be wrong.

You are wrong. Totally and completely.

1. Except, they should be, since marriage is a CIVIL institution, and provides various rights and privileges that committed couples need. Rights and privileges that are cheaply and solidly assured, and which cannot be as well protected by letting "teh private sector" handle it.

2. Civil institution.

3. Sure, if you're a church. But if you're making a profit, you're a business, and shouldn't be exempted from the law.

Amacia
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 23, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Amacia » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:09 pm

Grenartia wrote:
Amacia wrote:He said businesses aren't capable of beliefs. A sole proprietorship is. As is a general partnership.

A sole proprietorship is not capable of having beliefs. The person running might, but not the proprietorship itself. That's about as stupid as saying that my car is capable of having beliefs, because I'm its sole owner and I'm capable of having beliefs.

My understanding is that a sole proprietorship is identical to the person owning it (not a separate entity).
"Adolf Hitler as chancellor of Germany is a horror; Adolf Hitler at a town meeting would be an asshole.” - Karl Hess
"If alot of pepol love ech other, the world wud be a better plase to live" - Tommy Wiseau
"Who the hell do you think I am?!" - Kamina
"If I ever get anal polyps I'll know what to name them" - Saul Goodman
"Admiration is a state furthest from understanding" - Sosuke Aizen
"In a land where ignorance of the law is no excuse, changing the law is no remedy for ignorance." - greed and death

Amacia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Amacia » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:12 pm

The Rich Port wrote:
Amacia wrote:Ok, here's the thing. They are (currently) a religious corporation. The law exempts religious corporations. Given these facts, should they be punished.

Yes, for being a bunch of dirty fuckers.

They changed their corporation type to avoid possible prosecution.

You know who else does that? Mafia fronts.

Mafia comparisons... stay classy.

It was in preparation for the new law, I see nothing wrong with it, it's not illegal to change your business entity.
"Adolf Hitler as chancellor of Germany is a horror; Adolf Hitler at a town meeting would be an asshole.” - Karl Hess
"If alot of pepol love ech other, the world wud be a better plase to live" - Tommy Wiseau
"In a land where ignorance of the law is no excuse, changing the law is no remedy for ignorance." - greed and death

Comes Terra
Bureaucrat

Founded: Oct 12, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Comes Terra » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:25 pm

It depends; as far as I'm concerned the Church has said nothing about its ministers not being able to marry same-sex couples; if they do then I'd say they can't arrest them their Church outlawed it. But if they didn't then yes they should be arrested.

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:33 pm

Amacia wrote:
The Rich Port wrote:
Yes, for being a bunch of dirty fuckers.

They changed their corporation type to avoid possible prosecution.

You know who else does that? Mafia fronts.

Mafia comparisons... stay classy.

It was in preparation for the new law, I see nothing wrong with it, it's not illegal to change your business entity.

It's pretty damn accurate actually.
The Catholic Church in my eyes is an international criminal organization.

Amacia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Amacia » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:45 pm

Genivaria wrote:
Amacia wrote:Mafia comparisons... stay classy.

It's pretty damn accurate actually.

I don't want to marry you = Pay me protection and or I'll cut your fucking nuts off!
Because that's totally the same thing.

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:33 pm

Amacia wrote:
Grenartia wrote:

My understanding is that a sole proprietorship is identical to the person owning it (not a separate entity).

Your understanding is wrong.
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent...
Freedom from religion is an integral part of Freedom of religion
Married to Koshka
USMC veteran MOS 0331/8152
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Ifreann: Odds are you're secretly a zebra with a very special keyboard.
Ostro: I think women need to be trained
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:35 pm

Amacia wrote:
Genivaria wrote:It's pretty damn accurate actually.

I don't want to marry you = Pay me protection and or I'll cut your fucking nuts off!

Nice strawman. You build it yourself, or did you get help?
Married to Koshka
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Amacia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Amacia » Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:47 pm

Dyakovo wrote:
Amacia wrote:My understanding is that a sole proprietorship is identical to the person owning it (not a separate entity).

Your understanding is wrong.

No U!
I hate these posts, care to explain why that's wrong?

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:05 pm

Amacia wrote:
Dyakovo wrote:Your understanding is wrong.

No U!

Because it simply is.
When I had my windshield repair business, it wasn't me and I wasn't it. I was legally responsible for any debts incurred or damage caused by the business, but that in no way means that I and the business were the same thing.
Married to Koshka

Amacia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Amacia » Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:29 pm

Dyakovo wrote:
Amacia wrote:No U!

Because it simply is.
When I had my windshield repair business, it wasn't me and I wasn't it. I was legally responsible for any debts incurred or damage caused by the business, but that in no way means that I and the business were the same thing.

I should clarify, I meant that you and the business are "legally" the same.

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:33 pm

Amacia wrote:
Dyakovo wrote:Because it simply is.

I should clarify, I meant that you and the business are "legally" the same.

No, that Also is not true.
In specific circumstances, the sole proprietor and his business are legally considered to be the same entity, but not in all instances.
Just like in specific circumstances, a married couple is legally considered to be one entity.
Married to Koshka

Amacia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Amacia » Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:48 pm

Dyakovo wrote:
Amacia wrote:I should clarify, I meant that you and the business are "legally" the same.

No, that Also is not true.
In specific circumstances, the sole proprietor and his business are legally considered to be the same entity, but not in all instances.
Just like in specific circumstances, a married couple is legally considered to be one entity.

Oh, I guess that makes sense. I'm sorry.

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 29, 2008
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Rich Port » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:28 pm

Amacia wrote:
Genivaria wrote:It's pretty damn accurate actually.

You do realize this is an institution that has been prosecuted for harbouring child rapists, right?
THOSE THAT SOW THORNS SHOULD NOT EXPECT FLOWERS
CONSERVATISM IS FEAR AND STAGNATION AS IDEOLOGY. ONLY MARCH FORWARD.

Pronouns: She/Her
The Alt-Right Playbook
Alt-right/racist terminology
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Amacia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Amacia » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:29 pm

The Rich Port wrote:
Amacia wrote:I don't want to marry you = Pay me protection and or I'll cut your fucking nuts off!

You do realize this is an institution that has been prosecuted for harbouring child rapists, right?

I'm not talking about the Catholic Church.

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:47 pm

Amacia wrote:
The Rich Port wrote:

He was.
Married to Koshka

Amacia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Amacia » Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:35 am

Dyakovo wrote:
Amacia wrote:I'm not talking about the Catholic Church.

He was.

Look, I'm Catholic, and I think what many Priests did (and many Bishops covered up) is a disgrace. But this is threadjacking at this point, and I'm officially done with this thread.

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:02 am

Amacia wrote:
Dyakovo wrote:He was.

Look, I'm Catholic, and I think what many Priests did (and many Bishops covered up) is a disgrace. But this is threadjacking at this point, and I'm officially done with this thread.

But is the thread done with you?
Married to Koshka

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:04 am

Amacia wrote:
The Rich Port wrote:

Then why did you respond to me when I WAS talking about the Catholic Church.

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 05, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:05 am

Question: Is it legal for the ministers to refuse to marry people on any other basis?

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:06 am

Merizoc wrote:Question: Is it legal for the ministers to refuse to marry people on any other basis?

I would assume race is also out.

Westerplatte
Attaché

Founded: Oct 25, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Westerplatte » Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:08 am

They got what they deserved.

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:35 am

Westerplatte wrote:They got what they deserved.

Just so we're clear, you're saying that what they deserved is for absolutely nothing to be done to them?
Married to Koshka

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General