NATION

PASSWORD

Ministers threatened with arrest

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Is it legal to arrest the ministers?

Yes
47%
No
53%

Total votes : 374

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Black Forrest » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:26 pm

Forzona wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:

Assaulting and steeling are not the only crimes. Then they find someone who is willing to marry them in their chapel. As a business it is illegal to discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation.

Then they should be sued, threatened with jailtime is not acceptable. Sexual Orientation is in fact not covered by the laws disabling employers to be discriminating.
Source to the 2nd fact.
http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/

Pssst. That would be if somebody was applying for a job or worked there......
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Nasal Bondage
Envoy

Founded: Apr 14, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Nasal Bondage » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:26 pm

Forzona wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:
Again read the thread, they are not being threatened with jail time.

"Ministers threatened with arrest"
“Right now they are at risk of being prosecuted,”

The title is reactionary. Read the actual article.
Last time I checked, prosecution is not synonymous with threatening to give somebody jail time.
Puppet of The Cosmos

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:26 pm

Forzona wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:

Assaulting and steeling are not the only crimes. Then they find someone who is willing to marry them in their chapel. As a business it is illegal to discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation.

Then they should be sued, threatened with jailtime is not acceptable. Sexual Orientation is in fact not covered by the laws disabling employers to be discriminating.
Source to the 2nd fact.
http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/

The area where that business is operating does in fact have that law.
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:26 pm

Forzona wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:
Again read the thread, they are not being threatened with jail time.

"Ministers threatened with arrest"

Reading through title and reading the thread aren't the same thing.
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent...
Freedom from religion is an integral part of Freedom of religion
Married to Koshka
USMC veteran MOS 0331/8152
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Ifreann: Odds are you're secretly a zebra with a very special keyboard.
Ostro: I think women need to be trained
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Forzona
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 27, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Forzona » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:27 pm

Nasal Bondage wrote:
Forzona wrote:"Ministers threatened with arrest"

The title is reactionary. Read the actual article.
Last time I checked, prosecution is not synonymous with threatening to give somebody jail time.

If you are arrested, you do jailtime until your court session. (unless you purchase a bail)
Revising profile.

Amacia
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 23, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Amacia » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:27 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:
Amacia wrote:Hitching Post has been around for 100 years. That's no reason to dissolve it.

It's their choice to close it. When it comes to the public good in the matters of a public business; there are rules to follow. Your Religious beliefs don't give you the ability to ignore them.

Whether it's for-profit or non-profit is irrelevant. It's a religious organization, and falls within its exemption.
"Adolf Hitler as chancellor of Germany is a horror; Adolf Hitler at a town meeting would be an asshole.” - Karl Hess
"If alot of pepol love ech other, the world wud be a better plase to live" - Tommy Wiseau
"Who the hell do you think I am?!" - Kamina
"If I ever get anal polyps I'll know what to name them" - Saul Goodman
"Admiration is a state furthest from understanding" - Sosuke Aizen
"In a land where ignorance of the law is no excuse, changing the law is no remedy for ignorance." - greed and death

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:27 pm

Forzona wrote:
Nasal Bondage wrote:The title is reactionary. Read the actual article.

If you are arrested, you do jailtime until your court session. (unless you purchase a bail)

That is not what is meant by jailtime.
Just A Little though

Forzona
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Forzona » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:28 pm

Dyakovo wrote:
Forzona wrote:"Ministers threatened with arrest"

Reading through title and reading the thread aren't the same thing.

Second line is in the thread.
Revising profile.

Forzona
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Forzona » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:28 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
Forzona wrote:If you are arrested, you do jailtime until your court session. (unless you purchase a bail)

It is in jail, is it not? The fact they should even have to go through that I find absurd.
Revising profile.

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:28 pm

Forzona wrote:

Wrong.
Married to Koshka
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Nasal Bondage
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Nasal Bondage » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:29 pm

Forzona wrote:

That's not the definition of jailtime. Jailtime is time that you serve in jail or prison for a sentence given by a judge.
Puppet of The Cosmos

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:29 pm

Amacia wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:
It's their choice to close it. When it comes to the public good in the matters of a public business; there are rules to follow. Your Religious beliefs don't give you the ability to ignore them.

Whether it's for-profit or non-profit is irrelevant. It's a religious organization, and falls within its exemption.

Actually no it does not, since they were not listed as a religious organization. The only time a religious business is a religious business legally is if the legally declare themselves to be one . As this business did not do so they were still subject to the laws of non-discrimination. The owners of a business being a certain religion does not excuse them from having to obey the law.
Just A Little though

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:30 pm

Forzona wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:

It is in jail, is it not? The fact they should even have to go through that I find absurd.

No, jailtime is when a person has been found guilty and has been sentenced by a judge.
Just A Little though

Forzona
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Forzona » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:30 pm

Dyakovo wrote:
Forzona wrote:If you are arrested, you do jailtime until your court session. (unless you purchase a bail)

Wrong.

Right...
Revising profile.

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Black Forrest » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:31 pm

Amacia wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:

It's a public business. It isn't exempt.
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Forzona
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Forzona » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:31 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
Forzona wrote:It is in jail, is it not? The fact they should even have to go through that I find absurd.

No, jailtime is when a person has been found guilty and has been sentenced by a judge.

I may have been mixed up, but like I said, the idea that they should have to go through that in the first place is ridiculous.
Revising profile.

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:31 pm

Forzona wrote:
Dyakovo wrote:Wrong.

Right...

Again that is not what is meant by jailtime.
Just A Little though

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:32 pm

Forzona wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:

I may have been mixed up, but like I said, the idea that they should have to go through that in the first place is ridiculous.

No more so then any other crime. A person who has committed a crime and is being detained should not be surprised.
Last edited by Neutraligon on Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just A Little though

Forzona
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Forzona » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:33 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
Forzona wrote:Right...

Again that is not what is meant by jailtime.

I know, I was responding by my other post about how you do serve jail until your court date.
Revising profile.

Forzona
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Forzona » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:34 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
Forzona wrote:I may have been mixed up, but like I said, the idea that they should have to go through that in the first place is ridiculous.

No more so then any other crime. A person who has committed a crime and is being detained should not be surprised.

For something like this? I am pretty sure that EEOC spans over the entire nation, as another note.
Revising profile.

Amacia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Amacia » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:34 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
Amacia wrote:Whether it's for-profit or non-profit is irrelevant. It's a religious organization, and falls within its exemption.

Actually no it does not, since they were not listed as a religious organization. The only time a religious business is a religious business legally is if the legally declare themselves to be one. As this business did not do so they were still subject to the laws of non-discrimination. The owners of a business being a certain religion does not excuse them from having to obey the law.

The nature of there business is inherently religious. And what do you mean by listed as a religious organization?
"Adolf Hitler as chancellor of Germany is a horror; Adolf Hitler at a town meeting would be an asshole.” - Karl Hess
"If alot of pepol love ech other, the world wud be a better plase to live" - Tommy Wiseau
"In a land where ignorance of the law is no excuse, changing the law is no remedy for ignorance." - greed and death

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:35 pm

Forzona wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:

For something like this? I am pretty sure that EEOC spans over the entire nation, as another note.

No, specific states and local governments can make additional laws covering these things.

Amacia wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:
Actually no it does not, since they were not listed as a religious organization. The only time a religious business is a religious business legally is if the legally declare themselves to be one. As this business did not do so they were still subject to the laws of non-discrimination. The owners of a business being a certain religion does not excuse them from having to obey the law.

The nature of there business is inherently religious. And what do you mean by listed as a religious organization?

No it is not, weddings ceremonies are by no means religious, especially when at one point they were willing to offer ceremonies based on other religions. By that I mean they a registered as a religious organization. There is a store near me that sells religious paraphernalia, it too is still subject to the law, to do otherwise would be to endorse a religion.
Last edited by Neutraligon on Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just A Little though

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:35 pm

Forzona wrote:
Dyakovo wrote:Wrong.

Right...

Yes, I know I am.
I've been arrested a couple of times and have never served jailtime.
Married to Koshka

Nasal Bondage
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Nasal Bondage » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:36 pm

Amacia wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:

There are government classifications of religious organizations. The Hitching Post was not on the government registry of religious organizations.
No, it's not inherently religious. Marriage is not religious, it's a legal act that happens to be commonly performed in a religious setting.
Puppet of The Cosmos

Amacia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Amacia » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:39 pm

Nasal Bondage wrote:
Amacia wrote:The nature of there business is inherently religious. And what do you mean by listed as a religious organization?

There are government classifications of religious organizations. The Hitching Post was not on the government registry of religious organizations.
No, it's not inherently religious. Marriage is not religious, it's a legal act that happens to be commonly performed in a religious setting.

The type of marriage they perform is inherently religious.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General