NATION

PASSWORD

Ministers threatened with arrest

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Is it legal to arrest the ministers?

Yes
47%
No
53%

Total votes : 374

Amacia
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 23, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Amacia » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:15 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
Amacia wrote:That's what most people are arguing, that they should be punished.

No, we aren't. We're arguing under the theoretical premise that the OP isn't full of shit. If you don't understand that blatantly obvious fact, that's your own problem.

Many people have said this law applies to them, even when it doesn't, and they should be punished.
"Adolf Hitler as chancellor of Germany is a horror; Adolf Hitler at a town meeting would be an asshole.” - Karl Hess
"If alot of pepol love ech other, the world wud be a better plase to live" - Tommy Wiseau
"Who the hell do you think I am?!" - Kamina
"If I ever get anal polyps I'll know what to name them" - Saul Goodman
"Admiration is a state furthest from understanding" - Sosuke Aizen
"In a land where ignorance of the law is no excuse, changing the law is no remedy for ignorance." - greed and death

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:16 pm

Amacia wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:Leave Charlie alone.

That's what most people are arguing, that they should be punished.

No they are arguing that as a for profit business they should face the consequences for having broken the law. Since they are actually registered as a religious organization, they are no longer subject to that law, which makes them making a big stink rather ridiculous. Since they are the ones bringing up useless lawsuits they should then be punished for that.
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:16 pm

Amacia wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:No, we aren't. We're arguing under the theoretical premise that the OP isn't full of shit. If you don't understand that blatantly obvious fact, that's your own problem.

Many people have said this law applies to them, even when it doesn't, and they should be punished.

Right, and they were working under the assumption that the OP WASN'T full of shit. Because they didn't KNOW that the OP was full of shit. This isn't complicated at all.
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Amacia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Amacia » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:28 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
Amacia wrote:Many people have said this law applies to them, even when it doesn't, and they should be punished.

Right, and they were working under the assumption that the OP WASN'T full of shit. Because they didn't KNOW that the OP was full of shit. This isn't complicated at all.

Then why am I the first person to look up the text of the ordinance in question, it wasn't that hard?
"Adolf Hitler as chancellor of Germany is a horror; Adolf Hitler at a town meeting would be an asshole.” - Karl Hess
"If alot of pepol love ech other, the world wud be a better plase to live" - Tommy Wiseau
"In a land where ignorance of the law is no excuse, changing the law is no remedy for ignorance." - greed and death

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:33 pm

Amacia wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:Right, and they were working under the assumption that the OP WASN'T full of shit. Because they didn't KNOW that the OP was full of shit. This isn't complicated at all.

Then why am I the first person to look up the text of the ordinance in question, it wasn't that hard?

... You're now asking questions that have nothing to do with what I posted, why, exactly?
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Amacia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Amacia » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:34 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
Amacia wrote:Then why am I the first person to look up the text of the ordinance in question, it wasn't that hard?

... You're now asking questions that have nothing to do with what I posted, why, exactly?

Well, even after they found out he was full of shit, they still think they should be punished.

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:38 pm

Amacia wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:... You're now asking questions that have nothing to do with what I posted, why, exactly?

Well, even after they found out he was full of shit, they still think they should be punished.

Okay, I guess you're now going to just ignore everything I post considering I JUST explained to you why that's bullshit.

Amacia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Amacia » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:39 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
Amacia wrote:Well, even after they found out he was full of shit, they still think they should be punished.

Okay, I guess you're now going to just ignore everything I post considering I JUST explained to you why that's bullshit.

I know that you know he's full of shit, but I guess other people (like Dyakovo) don't.

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:42 pm

Amacia wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:Okay, I guess you're now going to just ignore everything I post considering I JUST explained to you why that's bullshit.

I know that you know he's full of shit, but I guess other people (like Dyakovo) don't.

Holy fucking shit it's like talking to a wall. Okay, I'll explain this ONE more time.

Dyakovo has never, not once, said that they should be punished after becoming a religious corporation. Dyakovo's ENTIRE argument relies on them being a public accommodation. And that's where he's arguing from. Under the assumption that IF they were still a public accommodation, they should be punished. This isn't difficult to understand. Why the hell you feel the need to blatantly misrepresent other people's arguments baffles me.

Amacia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Amacia » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:45 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
Amacia wrote:I know that you know he's full of shit, but I guess other people (like Dyakovo) don't.

Holy fucking shit it's like talking to a wall. Okay, I'll explain this ONE more time.

Dyakovo has never, not once, said that they should be punished after becoming a religious corporation. Dyakovo's ENTIRE argument relies on them being a public accommodation. And that's where he's arguing from. Under the assumption that IF they were still a public accommodation, they should be punished. This isn't difficult to understand. Why the hell you feel the need to blatantly misrepresent other people's arguments baffles me.

Then why is he arguing if they are a public accommodation when they aren't? I've told him they aren't and he said they ARE.

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:48 pm

Amacia wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:Holy fucking shit it's like talking to a wall. Okay, I'll explain this ONE more time.

Then why is he arguing if they are a public accommodation when they aren't? I've told him they aren't and he said they ARE.

Because he can't see into the fucking future. He probably assumed you were talking out of your ass, something I would probably go along with as well. If you're going to make that claim, provide evidence for it. Don't ask stupid questions that you can only ask AFTER the fact that someone provided information showing the assumption was wrong.

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:50 pm

Amacia wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:Holy fucking shit it's like talking to a wall. Okay, I'll explain this ONE more time.

Where did you say they were not. You only claimed they were run by ministers. They had been a public accommodation and were pretending to be one still. It was not until later that we learned they were no longer one, at which point pretty much everyone agreed they were liars and trying to use a frivolous law suit. Since they are doing that they should be punished for the frivolous lawsuit.
Just A Little though

Amacia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Amacia » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:53 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
Amacia wrote:Then why is he arguing if they are a public accommodation when they aren't? I've told him they aren't and he said they ARE.

Where did you say they were not. You only claimed they were run by ministers. They had been a public accommodation and were pretending to be one still. It was not until later that we learned they were no longer one, at which point pretty much everyone agreed they were liars and trying to use a frivolous law suit. Since they are doing that they should be punished for the frivolous lawsuit.

I only argued that they were ministers today. Go back in the thread and you'll see.

If it was a frivolous lawsuit then I could see your point. But the city said they were going to press charges and then backed down.

Amacia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Amacia » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:54 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
Amacia wrote:Then why is he arguing if they are a public accommodation when they aren't? I've told him they aren't and he said they ARE.

Because he can't see into the fucking future. He probably assumed you were talking out of your ass, something I would probably go along with as well. If you're going to make that claim, provide evidence for it. Don't ask stupid questions that you can only ask AFTER the fact that someone provided information showing the assumption was wrong.

Dyakovo said that the city wouldn't press charges cause they were cowards.

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:55 pm

Amacia wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:Because he can't see into the fucking future. He probably assumed you were talking out of your ass, something I would probably go along with as well. If you're going to make that claim, provide evidence for it. Don't ask stupid questions that you can only ask AFTER the fact that someone provided information showing the assumption was wrong.

Dyakovo said that the city wouldn't press charges cause they were cowards.

Because, once again, he thought that they were still a public accommodation. No one had provided any evidence otherwise at that point.

I'm fucking done here. You're literally just posting shit that are easily addressed with something I've repeated at least three times now. If you aren't going to read my posts there's no point.

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:03 pm

Amacia wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:

I only argued that they were ministers today. Go back in the thread and you'll see.

If it was a frivolous lawsuit then I could see your point. But the city said they were going to press charges and then backed down.

And if this were a public accommodation as it once was their being ministers would be irrelevant.
Just A Little though

Amacia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Amacia » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:08 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
Amacia wrote:Dyakovo said that the city wouldn't press charges cause they were cowards.

Because, once again, he thought that they were still a public accommodation. No one had provided any evidence otherwise at that point.

I'm fucking done here. You're literally just posting shit that are easily addressed with something I've repeated at least three times now. If you aren't going to read my posts there's no point.

You know, it's very possible that I'm mixing up many of the people in this thread. I guess I sort of made an ass out of myself. I apologize in that regard. But I still would like to hear from him.

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:43 pm

Amacia wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:Right, and they were working under the assumption that the OP WASN'T full of shit. Because they didn't KNOW that the OP was full of shit. This isn't complicated at all.

You aren't.
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent...
Freedom from religion is an integral part of Freedom of religion
Married to Koshka
USMC veteran MOS 0331/8152
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Ifreann: Odds are you're secretly a zebra with a very special keyboard.
Ostro: I think women need to be trained
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Amacia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Amacia » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:44 pm

Dyakovo wrote:
Amacia wrote:Then why am I the first person to look up the text of the ordinance in question, it wasn't that hard?

You aren't.

I've since found that out. I apologize.

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:48 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
Amacia wrote:Dyakovo said that the city wouldn't press charges cause they were cowards.

To be fair, I think The Hitching Post should still be answerable to discrimination laws. The whole idea of a business having religious beliefs is bullshit. A business is not a sapient, sentient being, and as such is incapable of having beliefs.
Married to Koshka
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Amacia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Amacia » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:52 pm

Dyakovo wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:Because, once again, he thought that they were still a public accommodation. No one had provided any evidence otherwise at that point.

To be fair, I think The Hitching Post should still be answerable to discrimination laws. The whole idea of a business having religious beliefs is bullshit. A business is not a sapient, sentient being, and as such is incapable of having beliefs.

What about sole proprietorships?

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:55 pm

Amacia wrote:
Dyakovo wrote:To be fair, I think The Hitching Post should still be answerable to discrimination laws. The whole idea of a business having religious beliefs is bullshit. A business is not a sapient, sentient being, and as such is incapable of having beliefs.

What about sole proprietorships?

What about them?
Married to Koshka

Amacia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Amacia » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:57 pm

Dyakovo wrote:
Amacia wrote:What about sole proprietorships?

What about them?

It's a business, but is identified with the one providing it, a "sapient, sentient being" in your words.

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Black Forrest » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:02 pm

Amacia wrote:
Dyakovo wrote:What about them?

It's a business, but is identified with the one providing it, a "sapient, sentient being" in your words.

It's a business so the same is in play.

It's simple. If there is an open sign, they have to follow the rules.
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Amacia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Amacia » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:03 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:
Amacia wrote:It's a business, but is identified with the one providing it, a "sapient, sentient being" in your words.

It's a business so the same is in play.

It's simple. If there is an open sign, they have to follow the rules.

He said businesses aren't capable of beliefs. A sole proprietorship is. As is a general partnership.

And as I've said for the umpteenth time, at this point RIGHT NOW, the law no longer applies to them.
Last edited by Amacia on Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General