NATION

PASSWORD

Ministers threatened with arrest

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Is it legal to arrest the ministers?

Yes
47%
No
53%

Total votes : 374

Forzona
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 27, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Forzona » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:12 pm

"WHAAAT!? You refuse to perform an action that is against your own religion!? Fuck you, go to prison!"
Last edited by Forzona on Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Revising profile.

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:13 pm

Dyakovo wrote:
Vindex Nation wrote:Educated comments only.

So, you're not posting anymore? :unsure:

It was so hard to resist that one and you just jumped in and splashed all around. Damn you Dya, Damn you.
Last edited by Neutraligon on Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:14 pm

The balkens wrote:
Dyakovo wrote:So, you're not posting anymore? :unsure:

Woah dude. :?

*shrugs*
It was too good a set-up to let pass.
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent...
Freedom from religion is an integral part of Freedom of religion
Married to Koshka
USMC veteran MOS 0331/8152
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Ifreann: Odds are you're secretly a zebra with a very special keyboard.
Ostro: I think women need to be trained
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:16 pm

Forzona wrote:"WHAAAT!? You refuse to perform an action that is against your own religion!? Fuck you, go to prison!"

That isn't at all what is being suggested.
Married to Koshka
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Forzona
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Forzona » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:16 pm

Dyakovo wrote:
Forzona wrote:"WHAAAT!? You refuse to perform an action that is against your own religion!? Fuck you, go to prison!"

That isn't at all what is being suggested.

They are being arrested for not supporting same-sex marriages, which is against what it says in their Bible. By forcing them to do this, you are making them commit an action that is against what their religion says.
Revising profile.

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:18 pm

Forzona wrote:
Dyakovo wrote:That isn't at all what is being suggested.

They are being arrested for not supporting same-sex marriages, which is against what it says in their Bible. By forcing them to do this, you are making them commit an action that is against what their religion says.

No they are not being arrested. They are dealing with the fact that as a business (well if they hadn't changed their status to religious corporation) they were breaking the law. A religious convictions does not clear a person when they break the law. Businesses in that area have to deal with a law that says that businesses are not allowed to discriminate based on sexual orientation. They broke that law and would be dealing with the consequences of said action.
Last edited by Neutraligon on Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just A Little though

The balkens
Post Marshal

Founded: Sep 19, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The balkens » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:18 pm

Forzona wrote:

They are running a for-profit business, they are subject to laws.

Amacia
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 23, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Amacia » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:18 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:
Amacia wrote:Shoving religion down someone's throat would be forcing someone to buy a bible. They just don't want to marry certain people.

Then close the business and go do Religious ceremonies in their place of worship.

Problem solved.

Hitching Post has been around for 100 years. That's no reason to dissolve it.
"Adolf Hitler as chancellor of Germany is a horror; Adolf Hitler at a town meeting would be an asshole.” - Karl Hess
"If alot of pepol love ech other, the world wud be a better plase to live" - Tommy Wiseau
"Who the hell do you think I am?!" - Kamina
"If I ever get anal polyps I'll know what to name them" - Saul Goodman
"Admiration is a state furthest from understanding" - Sosuke Aizen
"In a land where ignorance of the law is no excuse, changing the law is no remedy for ignorance." - greed and death

Cool Spring
Secretary

Founded: Aug 30, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Cool Spring » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:18 pm

Arm the masses

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:18 pm

Forzona wrote:

No-one is being arrested.
Married to Koshka

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:19 pm

Dyakovo wrote:
Forzona wrote:They are being arrested for not supporting same-sex marriages, which is against what it says in their Bible. By forcing them to do this, you are making them commit an action that is against what their religion says.

No-one is being arrested.

Apparently reading the thread and other posts is just not done.
Just A Little though

Forzona
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Forzona » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:19 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
Forzona wrote:They are being arrested for not supporting same-sex marriages, which is against what it says in their Bible. By forcing them to do this, you are making them commit an action that is against what their religion says.

No they are not being arrested. They are dealing with the fact that as a business (well if they hadn't changed their status to religious corporation) they were breaking the law. A religious convictions does not clear a person when they break the law.

Were they assaulting someone or stealing something? No. They are refusing to support something their Bible- the thing their entire JOB is based off of (Or other holy scripts, depending) says not to.
Revising profile.

Zevretin
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 24, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Zevretin » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:20 pm

Putting equality into motion doesn't mean throwing them in jail for having an opinion.

If you're homosexual and you'd like to get married at a credible chapel, go to one that DOES accept gays. To persecute people for having opinions is ridiculous. While the argument that it is discrimination is solid, to arrest someone from a privately-owned religious institution is absurd. I know for a fact that there are plenty of churches willing to hold marriages, gay or straight, within their halls.

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:20 pm

Forzona wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:
No they are not being arrested. They are dealing with the fact that as a business (well if they hadn't changed their status to religious corporation) they were breaking the law. A religious convictions does not clear a person when they break the law.

Were they assaulting someone or stealing something? No. They are refusing to support something their Bible- the thing their entire JOB is based off of (Or other holy scripts, depending) says not to.

Assaulting and steeling are not the only crimes. Then they find someone who is willing to marry them in their chapel. As a business it is illegal to discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation.
Just A Little though

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:21 pm

Zevretin wrote:Putting equality into motion doesn't mean throwing them in jail for having an opinion.

If you're homosexual and you'd like to get married at a credible chapel, go to one that DOES accept gays. To persecute people for having opinions is ridiculous. While the argument that it is discrimination is solid, to arrest someone from a privately-owned religious institution is absurd. I know for a fact that there are plenty of churches willing to hold marriages, gay or straight, within their halls.

If you read this thread you would realize that no homosexual person is suing them. They are in fact the instigators of this little issue. Also they are a for profit institution.
Last edited by Neutraligon on Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just A Little though

Forzona
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Forzona » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:21 pm

The balkens wrote:

If it's a profit business, they should be sued. Not threatened with jailtime.
Revising profile.

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:22 pm

Forzona wrote:
The balkens wrote:

Again read the thread, they are not being threatened with jail time.
Just A Little though

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Black Forrest » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:22 pm

Amacia wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:
Then close the business and go do Religious ceremonies in their place of worship.

Problem solved.

Hitching Post has been around for 100 years. That's no reason to dissolve it.

It's their choice to close it. When it comes to the public good in the matters of a public business; there are rules to follow. Your Religious beliefs don't give you the ability to ignore them.
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:23 pm

Forzona wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:

Their job is running a for-profit wedding chapel. The Bible says nothing about running for-profit wedding chapels.
Married to Koshka

Nasal Bondage
Envoy

Founded: Apr 14, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Nasal Bondage » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:24 pm

Forzona wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:

Assault and theft aren't the only two crimes in the book, dear.
They're discriminating against people for their sexuality. And remember, marriage isn't a religious affair, it's a legal affair. Marriage is a covenant under the law of whatever country you're in.
Puppet of The Cosmos

Forzona
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Forzona » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:24 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
Forzona wrote:Were they assaulting someone or stealing something? No. They are refusing to support something their Bible- the thing their entire JOB is based off of (Or other holy scripts, depending) says not to.

Assaulting and steeling are not the only crimes. Then they find someone who is willing to marry them in their chapel. As a business it is illegal to discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation.

Then they should be sued, threatened with jailtime is not acceptable. Sexual Orientation is in fact not covered by the laws disabling employers to be discriminating.
Source to the 2nd fact.
http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/
Revising profile.

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:24 pm

Forzona wrote:
The balkens wrote:

They were never threatened with jail time.
Married to Koshka

Forzona
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Forzona » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:25 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
Forzona wrote:If it's a profit business, they should be sued. Not threatened with jailtime.

Again read the thread, they are not being threatened with jail time.

"Ministers threatened with arrest"
“Right now they are at risk of being prosecuted,”
Last edited by Forzona on Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Revising profile.

Nasal Bondage
Envoy

Founded: Apr 14, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Nasal Bondage » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:25 pm

Forzona wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:

Then they should be sued, threatened with jailtime is not acceptable. Sexual Orientation is in fact not covered by the laws disabling employers to be discriminating.
Source to the 2nd fact.

If you'd kindly read the article, you might have the startling revelation that they are not being threatened with jailtime.
Puppet of The Cosmos

Forzona
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Forzona » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:25 pm

Nasal Bondage wrote:
Forzona wrote:Then they should be sued, threatened with jailtime is not acceptable. Sexual Orientation is in fact not covered by the laws disabling employers to be discriminating.
Source to the 2nd fact.

If you'd kindly read the article, you might have the startling revelation that they are not being threatened with jailtime.

“Right now they are at risk of being prosecuted,”
"Ministers threatened with arrest"
Revising profile.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General