NATION

PASSWORD

Detroit woman shot and killed for not giving phone number.

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Linux and the X
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 29, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Linux and the X » Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:38 pm

Hyfling wrote:It's funny. If someone were to replace the word 'men' with 'black people' and the word 'women' with 'white people' then this OP would have (rightfully) been considered extremely racist and have been locked with the poster warned, or even banned, long ago. But for some reason, blatant sexism and extreme generalisation of males gets a free pass? Why is that?

Your comparison is specious. Women being cautious around men is an example of a minority class protecting themselves from a majority class; white people discriminating against black people is an example of a majority class exercising their power over a minority class.

Also, the sexism in the thread isn't getting a free pass: while mod action isn't taken, posters do mock and debate it..
If you see I've made a mistake in my wording or a factual detail, telegram me and I'll fix it. I'll even give you credit for pointing it out, if you'd like.
BLUE LIVES MURDER

[violet]: Maybe we could power our new search engine from the sexual tension between you two.
Me, responding to a request to vote for a liberation: But... but that would blemish my near-perfect history of spitefully voting against anything the SC does!
Farnhamia: That is not to be taken as license to start calling people "buttmunch."

GPG key ID: A8960638 fingerprint: 2239 2687 0B50 2CEC 28F7 D950 CCD0 26FC A896 0638

they/them pronouns

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:59 pm

Linux and the X wrote:
Hyfling wrote:It's funny. If someone were to replace the word 'men' with 'black people' and the word 'women' with 'white people' then this OP would have (rightfully) been considered extremely racist and have been locked with the poster warned, or even banned, long ago. But for some reason, blatant sexism and extreme generalisation of males gets a free pass? Why is that?

Your comparison is specious. Women being cautious around men is an example of a minority class protecting themselves from a majority class; white people discriminating against black people is an example of a majority class exercising their power over a minority class.

Also, the sexism in the thread isn't getting a free pass: while mod action isn't taken, posters do mock and debate it..

I know what you meant and all, but your choice of terms was bad.

By pure numbers, women are the "majority class" while men are the "minority class". It's also true that, in regards to the justice system, men are oppressed compared with women. In fact, its a steeper oppression than the white/black one.

Now, what I think you meant was "dominant class" and "oppressed class", and on the whole it would make sense the distinction you made. However, within the context of crime and criminal justice, the men/black comparison is perfectly apt. Much like black vs white, men are likely to receive harsher sentences compared with women as perpetrators, less protection as victims compared with women, and, overall, are more likely to be victims compared to women.

All in all, the comparison fits within the context of this thread.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Quintanilla
Envoy

Founded: Oct 08, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Quintanilla » Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:00 pm

Linux and the X wrote:

Black people create stereotypes on their own.

White people don't intermingle with black people in greater numbers largely because of precedents set by black people when it comes to black-white relations.

As for female oppression, some suggested literature.
Last edited by Quintanilla on Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Twilight Imperium
Minister

Founded: May 19, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Twilight Imperium » Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:08 pm

Galloism wrote:
Linux and the X wrote:Your comparison is specious. Women being cautious around men is an example of a minority class protecting themselves from a majority class; white people discriminating against black people is an example of a majority class exercising their power over a minority class.

I know what you meant and all, but your choice of terms was bad.

By pure numbers, women are the "majority class" while men are the "minority class". It's also true that, in regards to the justice system, men are oppressed compared with women. In fact, its a steeper oppression than the white/black one.

Now, what I think you meant was "dominant class" and "oppressed class", and on the whole it would make sense the distinction you made. However, within the context of crime and criminal justice, the men/black comparison is perfectly apt. Much like black vs white, men are likely to receive harsher sentences compared with women as perpetrators, less protection as victims compared with women, and, overall, are more likely to be victims compared to women.

I was going to post this, but apparently "majority" and "minority" in sociological terms refer to how much social power a group has, not pure numbers. So what they said was correct in the context of the thread 8)

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:12 pm

Twilight Imperium wrote:
Galloism wrote:I know what you meant and all, but your choice of terms was bad.

I was going to post this, but apparently "majority" and "minority" in sociological terms refer to how much social power a group has, not pure numbers. So what they said was correct in the context of the thread 8)

I object on mathematical grounds to referring to 51% of the population as a minority and 49% as the majority.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Twilight Imperium
Minister

Postby Twilight Imperium » Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:16 pm

Galloism wrote:
Twilight Imperium wrote:

I object on mathematical grounds to referring to 51% of the population as a minority and 49% as the majority.

I'll bring it up at the next big sociology conference.
Last edited by Twilight Imperium on Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Founded: Mar 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:19 pm

Galloism wrote:
Twilight Imperium wrote:

I don't mean to sound rude with you, but you DO know that that sort of thinking is also why Apartheid in Africa was condoned, right?
Soldati senza confini: Better than an iPod in shuffle more with 20,000 songs.
Tekania wrote:Welcome to NSG, where informed opinions get to bump-heads with ignorant ideology under the pretense of an equal footing.

"When it’s a choice of putting food on the table, or thinking about your morals, it’s easier to say you’d think about your morals, but only if you’ve never faced that decision." - Anastasia Richardson

Current Goal: Flesh out nation factbook.

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:21 pm

Twilight Imperium wrote:
Galloism wrote:I object on mathematical grounds to referring to 51% of the population as a minority and 49% as the majority.

Well, I mean, he's right in saying that men are a minority numerically speaking.

But a majority isn't determined by numbers, it is determined by historical numbers + power. So white people are a majority in that they have more power and numbers generally speaking, but sometimes is not necessarily both.
Tekania wrote:Welcome to NSG, where informed opinions get to bump-heads with ignorant ideology under the pretense of an equal footing.

"When it’s a choice of putting food on the table, or thinking about your morals, it’s easier to say you’d think about your morals, but only if you’ve never faced that decision." - Anastasia Richardson

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:21 pm

Soldati senza confini wrote:
Galloism wrote:I object on mathematical grounds to referring to 51% of the population as a minority and 49% as the majority.

I don't mean to sound rude with you, but you DO know that that sort of thinking is also why Apartheid in Africa was condoned, right?

Because people objected to improper mathematical terms and preferred more accurate terminology?

That's a weird way to keep apartheid alive.

Koopaville
Envoy

Founded: Jul 26, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Koopaville » Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:22 pm

I blame cell phones. Let's ban cell phones guys!! For the women! And the children! Or this could be an isolated incident, but like the anti-gun nutjobs, I'll just hype this issue over and over because there are too many idiots like me in the world who should not have a voice in politics!

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:23 pm

Twilight Imperium wrote:

Well, I mean, he's right in saying that men are a minority numerically speaking.

But a majority isn't determined by numbers, it is determined by historical numbers + power. So white people are a majority in that they have more power and numbers generally speaking, but sometimes is not necessarily both.

Then more accurate terminology should be used.

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:23 pm

Galloism wrote:

Because people objected to improper mathematical terms and preferred more accurate terminology?

Well, no, because people thought "well there's 90 percent of people in South Africa who are black and 10% white; they are clearly the minority" issue.

Like I said above, in sociological terms, a majority is usually bigger numbers + greater parity. But it's not always necessarily true.

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:24 pm

Galloism wrote:

Then more accurate terminology should be used.

Such as?

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:25 pm

Galloism wrote:Because people objected to improper mathematical terms and preferred more accurate terminology?

Well, no, because people thought "well there's 90 percent of people in South Africa who are black and 10% white; they are clearly the minority" issue.

Like I said above, in sociological terms, a majority is usually bigger numbers + greater parity. But it's not always necessarily true.

Then the use of "dominant class" and "oppressed class" is far more appropriate. Because when you say "we're in the minority!!!" and you're 90% of the population, everyone who is not a liberal arts major is going to look at you like you grew a third head.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:30 pm

Galloism wrote:Then more accurate terminology should be used.

Such as?

Maybe the terminology I put in the original post you responded to?

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:40 pm

Galloism wrote:
Such as?

Maybe the terminology I put in the original post you responded to?

Dominant and Oppressed classes? That works.

However, I must say we're getting rather pedantic over this for a forum.

Linux and the X
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 29, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Linux and the X » Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:54 pm

Galloism wrote:
Twilight Imperium wrote:

If it helps, you can think of it as referring to the group that holds most of the social power as the majority, and the group (or groups) with less social power as the minority (or minorities).
If you see I've made a mistake in my wording or a factual detail, telegram me and I'll fix it. I'll even give you credit for pointing it out, if you'd like.
BLUE LIVES MURDER

[violet]: Maybe we could power our new search engine from the sexual tension between you two.
Me, responding to a request to vote for a liberation: But... but that would blemish my near-perfect history of spitefully voting against anything the SC does!
Farnhamia: That is not to be taken as license to start calling people "buttmunch."

GPG key ID: A8960638 fingerprint: 2239 2687 0B50 2CEC 28F7 D950 CCD0 26FC A896 0638

they/them pronouns

Twilight Imperium
Minister

Postby Twilight Imperium » Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:54 pm

Soldati senza confini wrote:However, I must say we're getting rather pedantic over this for a forum.

Yes. And as previously mentioned, it is the correct sociological term. If you disagree that strongly, take it up with academia :P

The New World Oceania
Minister

Founded: May 03, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The New World Oceania » Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:25 pm

Linux and the X wrote:

If it helps, you can think of it as referring to the group that holds most of the social power as the majority, and the group (or groups) with less social power as the minority (or minorities).

In terms of the oppression of women, the patriarchy is generally seen more as the oppressor than are men in their entirety. Of course, we could bring into play the concepts of "privilege," and what not, but those very ideas are plausibly why feminism and other social justice movements are seen as inherently and actively hostile.
Woman-made-woman.
Formerly Not a Bang but a Whimper.
Mario Cerce, Member of the Red - Green Alliance, Fighting for your Fernão!
Elizia
Joyce Wu, Eternal President of Elizia
Wen Lin, Governor of Jinyu
Ahmed Alef, Member for South Hutnegeri
Dagmar
Elise Marlowe, Member for Varland
Calaverde
Alsafyr Njil, Minister of Justice
Vienna Eliot et. al, Poets
Dick Njil, Journalist
Assad Hazouri, Mayor of Masalbhumi
Baltonia
Clint Webb, Member of the Seima
Ment-Al Li, United Nations Agent
Aurentina
Clint Webb, Senator

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:44 pm

T Roosevelt wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:
Said male was harassing her, which is illegal. Since she was not in immediate danger, using a gun would have put her in jail, instead of him. Also, did you just advocate murder? Considering he is committing an actual crime...

Walking with a woman to persuade her into romance is not harassment. Spending longer time with a woman increases your chances of being her liberator, freeing her from toil, protecting her from degenerates. Attentiveness and small favors are the among the best tools when softening a woman's heart; a man who makes known his love by words is a fool. A man should talk to her, however, words of love must be implied with action, not boldly proclaimed.

It i if she does not wish you to be there, and has expressed said wish. The rest of your statement is so utter nonsense as to be ridiculous. Oh and coninued harassment just reinforces the idea that you are a jerk, and that you are now a danger to her life. As this very article shows, some men are not sane (some women too), and those that continue to force their presence on a woman/man are those who it is not safe to be around.
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

Roski
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Roski » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:25 pm

Twilight Imperium wrote:

White people have the lowest population world wide.

I believe you meant Oriental.
I'm some 17 year old psuedo-libertarian who leans to the left in social terms, is fiercly right economically, and centrist in foriegn policy. Unapologetically Pro-American, Pro-NATO, even if we do fuck up (a lot). If you can find real sources that disagree with me I will change my opinion. Call me IHOP cause I'm always flipping.

Follow my Vex Robotics team on instagram! @3921a_vex

I am the Federal Republic of Roski. I have a population slightly over 256 million with a GDP of 13.92-14.25 trillion. My gross domestic product increases each year between .4%-.1.4%. I have a military with 4.58 million total people, with 1.58 million of those active. My defense spending is 598.5 billion, or 4.2% of my Gross Domestic Product.

The Joseon Dynasty
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 16, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Joseon Dynasty » Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:15 pm

Linux and the X wrote:

What is the precise, functional difference between the two examples that causes a comparison to be invalid? It's not so obvious that it doesn't need to be explained.
  • No, I'm not Korean. I'm British and as white as the Queen's buttocks.
  • Bio: I'm a PhD student in Statistics. Interested in all sorts of things. Currently getting into statistical signal processing for brain imaging. Currently co-authoring a paper on labour market dynamics, hopefully branching off into a test of the Markov property for labour market transition rates.

Shilya
Minister

Founded: Dec 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Shilya » Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:37 am

Linux and the X wrote:

It doesn't really help, because 98% hold no more power than women. The social power is concentrated in the hands of a few.
Impeach freedom, government is welfare, Ron Paul is theft, legalize 2016!

The New World Oceania
Minister

Founded: May 03, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The New World Oceania » Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:26 am

Shilya wrote:
Linux and the X wrote:If it helps, you can think of it as referring to the group that holds most of the social power as the majority, and the group (or groups) with less social power as the minority (or minorities).

It doesn't really help, because 98% hold no more power than women. The social power is concentrated in the hands of a few.

Individuals don't hold social power (disregarding Marxist theory). In the oppression of women, it's the abstract concept ofpatriarchy, which is spread through society even inadvertantly, which holds that social power.
Woman-made-woman.
Formerly Not a Bang but a Whimper.
Mario Cerce, Member of the Red - Green Alliance, Fighting for your Fernão!
Elizia
Joyce Wu, Eternal President of Elizia
Wen Lin, Governor of Jinyu
Ahmed Alef, Member for South Hutnegeri
Dagmar
Elise Marlowe, Member for Varland
Calaverde
Alsafyr Njil, Minister of Justice
Vienna Eliot et. al, Poets
Dick Njil, Journalist
Assad Hazouri, Mayor of Masalbhumi
Baltonia