NATION

PASSWORD

Catholic Confessional Seal Part 2 - Supreme Court

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Should Courts be able to force priests to break their Confessional Seals?

Yes (Catholic)
5%
No (Catholic)
25%
Yes (Non-Catholic Christian)
4%
No (Non-Catholic Christian)
18%
Yes (Non-Christian Religious)
1%
No (Non-Christian Religious
3%
Yes (Non-religious)
29%
No (Non-Religious)
16%

Total votes : 217

WestRedMaple
Minister

Founded: Aug 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby WestRedMaple » Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:09 pm

Dyakovo wrote:
WestRedMaple wrote:
Nope. We already brought up the difference between a person following their own religion and someone being forced into the demands of someone else's religion

You're assuming that the people to be sacrificed are not members of the religion that practices it. Historically that was quite often not the case. So, no, there is no inherent difference.

No, I'm not. Unless they are voluntary sacrifices, then they are being forced.

If they ARE voluntary sacrifices, then the government should respect their right to make that decision

WestRedMaple
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby WestRedMaple » Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:10 pm

Dyakovo wrote:
WestRedMaple wrote:

The prosecution does not alter the Constitution. Only an amendment can do that.

No-one said they could. They don't have to.

They have to if they want to be able to force a violation of his religion LEGALLY.

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Founded: Mar 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:51 pm

Pantokrator wrote:This is form of racism as it is targeted against minorities (mainly Latinos).

As a Latino I have to ask: how the heck is it racism against us?!
Soldati senza confini: Better than an iPod in shuffle more with 20,000 songs.
Tekania wrote:Welcome to NSG, where informed opinions get to bump-heads with ignorant ideology under the pretense of an equal footing.

"When it’s a choice of putting food on the table, or thinking about your morals, it’s easier to say you’d think about your morals, but only if you’ve never faced that decision." - Anastasia Richardson

Current Goal: Flesh out nation factbook.

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:29 pm

WestRedMaple wrote:
Dyakovo wrote:No-one said they could. They don't have to.

They have to if they want to be able to force a violation of his religion LEGALLY.
No, they don't..
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent...
Freedom from religion is an integral part of Freedom of religion
Married to Koshka
USMC veteran MOS 0331/8152
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Ifreann: Odds are you're secretly a zebra with a very special keyboard.
Ostro: I think women need to be trained
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

WestRedMaple
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby WestRedMaple » Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:20 pm

Dyakovo wrote:
WestRedMaple wrote:

No, they don't..

Yes, they do. The Constitution prevents La. Child Code art. 603(15) from actually entering into law due to the fact that it violates the religious protection of the priest.

The case still boils down to the same issues:
A) the confessional seal is part of Catholicism
B) the Constitution protects the right of people to maintain the confessional seal
C) the Constitution is higher law and takes primacy over any 'law' trying to contradict it

Threlizdun
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 14, 2009
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Threlizdun » Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:49 pm

WestRedMaple wrote:

Yes, they do. The Constitution prevents La. Child Code art. 603(15) from actually entering into law due to the fact that it violates the religious protection of the priest.

B) the Constitution protects the right of people to maintain the confessional seal
C) the Constitution is higher law and takes primacy over any 'law' trying to contradict it

When a religious practice infringes upon the liberties of others and endangers the public, then it is not permitted. This isn't anything new, but a long held precedent. Preventing the apprehension of a child milestone absolutely endangers the public.
She/they

Communalist, Social Ecologist, Bioregionalist

This site stresses me out, so I rarely come on here anymore. I'll try to be civil and respectful towards those I'm debating on here. If you don't extend the same courtesy then I'll probably just ignore you.

If we've been friendly in the past and you want to keep in touch, shoot me a telegram

Mereon
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 29, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Mereon » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:01 pm

It depends on the crime. For example, this case, child molestation is pretty serious, so yes. I think he should.
Soar Airways
National Aerospace Corporation
Mereon National Airport (KMIA)
Economic Left/Right: -6.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.67
Link
Add 2082 posts from previous nations.
Factbook (WIP)
#puppetmaster

4years
Senator

Founded: Aug 17, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby 4years » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:16 pm

Dragomerian Islands wrote:Forcing a priest to break the confessional seal is against the first amendment.

On the contrary, allowing priests to refuse to testify when any other citizen (lawyers, etc. aside) would be forced to testify is against the first amendment.
Political Compass: Economic Left/Right: -10.00 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -10
"Those who do not move, do not notice their chains. "
-Rosa Luxemburg
"In place of bourgeois society with all of it's classes and class antagonisms, we shall have an association, one in which the free development of each is the condition for the free development of all" -Karl Marx
There is no such thing as rational self interest; pure reason leads to the greatest good for the greatest number.

WestRedMaple
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby WestRedMaple » Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:20 pm

Threlizdun wrote:
WestRedMaple wrote:

When a religious practice infringes upon the liberties of others and endangers the public, then it is not permitted. This isn't anything new, but a long held precedent. Preventing the apprehension of a child milestone absolutely endangers the public.

A person exercising their right to not speak infringes on no rights, so that's a moot point.

Baxten
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 06, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Baxten » Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:24 pm

Theorett wrote:We should just get rid of the Catholic Church and follow the wisdom of Calvin and other protestant reformers or atleast the Church of Idolatry should stop worshipping Mary.

Of course, a Protestant that doesn't understand much about the Catholic Church has to come judge.
The symbolism of theUnited States of Columbia's flag can be found by clicking here

Member of The Council of the Multiverse community. Click me to find out more!
Political Compass:
Economic Left/Right:
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.36

Camicon
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Camicon » Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:29 pm

WestRedMaple wrote:
Threlizdun wrote:When a religious practice infringes upon the liberties of others and endangers the public, then it is not permitted. This isn't anything new, but a long held precedent. Preventing the apprehension of a child milestone absolutely endangers the public.

A person exercising their right to not speak infringes on no rights, so that's a moot point.

People are not free from reprimand if they remain silent when they have been called to testify in a court of law.
Hey/They
Active since May, 2009
Country of glowing hearts, and patrons of the arts
Help me out
Star spangled madness, united sadness
Count me out
The Trews, Under The Sun
No human is more human than any other. - Lieutenant-General Roméo Antonius Dallaire
Don't shine for swine. - Metric, Soft Rock Star
Love is hell. Hell is love. Hell is asking to be loved. - Emily Haines and the Soft Skeleton, Detective Daughter

Why (Male) Rape Is Hilarious [because it has to be]

WestRedMaple
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby WestRedMaple » Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:59 am

Camicon wrote:
WestRedMaple wrote:

People are not free from reprimand if they remain silent when they have been called to testify in a court of law.

That's unrelated to the post to which you're replying.

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:26 am

WestRedMaple wrote:
Camicon wrote:People are not free from reprimand if they remain silent when they have been called to testify in a court of law.

How is it unrelated? Do you even know what this case is about?
Married to Koshka
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

WestRedMaple
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby WestRedMaple » Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:34 am

Dyakovo wrote:
WestRedMaple wrote:

How is it unrelated? Do you even know what this case is about?

Since it bears no relation to what I said. Pretty simple concept, what's confusing you about that?

See how you were unable in your post to actually connect it to my post? That's the reason

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:39 am

WestRedMaple wrote:
Dyakovo wrote:How is it unrelated? Do you even know what this case is about?

Since it bears no relation to what I said. Pretty simple concept, what's confusing you about that?

See how you were unable in your post to actually connect it to my post? That's the reason

I'll take that as a "no, I don't have a single fucking clue as to what this case is about and this am completely incapable of determining what is or is not related."
Married to Koshka

WestRedMaple
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby WestRedMaple » Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:54 am

Dyakovo wrote:
WestRedMaple wrote:

I'll take that as a "no, I don't have a single fucking clue as to what this case is about and this am completely incapable of determining what is or is not related."

Ah, so you also enjoy making nonsensical assumptions.

I notice the fact that you still cannot actually find any connection between your post and mine.

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:05 am

WestRedMaple wrote:
Dyakovo wrote:I'll take that as a "no, I don't have a single fucking clue as to what this case is about and this am completely incapable of determining what is or is not related."

I notice the fact that you still cannot actually find any connection between your post and mine.

Read the Louisiana Supreme Court decision. That will explain the connection.
Married to Koshka

WestRedMaple
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby WestRedMaple » Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:25 am

Dyakovo wrote:
WestRedMaple wrote:

Read the Louisiana Supreme Court decision. That will explain the connection.

I have read it, and it certainly does not. I notice that you are still utterly incapable of making any connection

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:32 am

WestRedMaple wrote:
Dyakovo wrote:Read the Louisiana Supreme Court decision. That will explain the connection.

I have read it, and it certainly does not. I notice that you are still utterly incapable of making any connection

Obviously not.
Married to Koshka

WestRedMaple
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby WestRedMaple » Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:36 am

Dyakovo wrote:
WestRedMaple wrote:

Obviously not.

You're projecting. It seems like you're embarrassed by your inability to actually make any connection

Camicon
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Camicon » Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:57 am

WestRedMaple wrote:
Camicon wrote:People are not free from reprimand if they remain silent when they have been called to testify in a court of law.

WRM: "A person exercising their right to not speak infringes on no rights..."
Cam: "That doesn't mean that people who refuse to speak, when they are legally required to, get off scot-free."

In what universe are those two sentences unrelated, especially considering the case in question? This priest is legally required to testify, but refuses to because of his profession. It's been determined by the Louisiana Supreme Court that his profession is not valid reason to not testify. If he refuses to testify, then he faces punishment. His dioceses is appealing the decision of the LSC, so that he won't face punishment for not testifying.

WestRedMaple wrote:
Dyakovo wrote:Obviously not.

You're projecting. It seems like you're embarrassed by your inability to actually make any connection

Ad homs. Lovely. Is it possible for you to have a conversation without insulting people?
Last edited by Camicon on Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Hey/They
Active since May, 2009
Help me out
Count me out
The Trews, Under The Sun
No human is more human than any other. - Lieutenant-General Roméo Antonius Dallaire
Love is hell. Hell is love. Hell is asking to be loved. - Emily Haines and the Soft Skeleton, Detective Daughter

WestRedMaple
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby WestRedMaple » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:47 am

Camicon wrote:
WestRedMaple wrote:

WRM: "A person exercising their right to not speak infringes on no rights..."
Cam: "That doesn't mean that people who refuse to speak, when they are legally required to, get off scot-free."

In what universe are those two sentences unrelated, especially considering the case in question? This priest is legally required to testify, but refuses to because of his profession. It's been determined by the Louisiana Supreme Court that his profession is not valid reason to not testify. If he refuses to testify, then he faces punishment. His dioceses is appealing the decision of the LSC, so that he won't face punishment for not testifying.

WestRedMaple wrote:

Ad homs. Lovely. Is it possible for you to have a conversation without insulting people?

I pointed out a mistake in claiming that exercising his rights somehow infringes on those of someone else.

turned around by completely ignoring what we were talking about, and the point made to talk about punishment instead. Whether or not you get punished for something is unrelated to what we were discussing. You've failed to relate the statement to the point I made.

Even though you quote me, you refuse to address my point

There was no ad hom. When someone intensely avoids something THEY brought up, that looks a lot like embarrassment to me. I didn't say it is fact, only how it appears
Last edited by WestRedMaple on Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:52 am, edited 3 times in total.

Camicon
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Camicon » Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:14 pm

WestRedMaple wrote:
Camicon wrote:WRM: "A person exercising their right to not speak infringes on no rights..."

*snip*
turned around by completely ignoring what we were talking about, and the point made to talk about punishment instead. Whether or not you get punished for something is unrelated to what we were discussing. You've failed to relate the statement to the point I made.
*snip*

I was pointing out that your position is logically inconsistent. No, I wasn't responding to the point you made, I was making one of my own, something I thought was amply clear. That doesn't make it unrelated.
Hey/They
Active since May, 2009
Help me out
Count me out
The Trews, Under The Sun

WestRedMaple
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby WestRedMaple » Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:25 pm

Camicon wrote:
WestRedMaple wrote:*snip*
*snip*

I was pointing out that your position is logically inconsistent. No, I wasn't responding to the point you made, I was making one of my own, something I thought was amply clear. That doesn't make it unrelated.

Too bad you never actually got around to making your point then

The Flood
Minister

Founded: Nov 24, 2011
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby The Flood » Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:26 pm

This thread just reinforces why I'm anti-atheism.

All the poll section respondents are in favour of the 'no' option, except for the atheist options.
Agnostic
Asexual
Transgender, pronouns she / her

Pro-Life
Pro-LGBT
Pro-Left Wing
Pro-Socialism / Communism

Anti-Hate Speech
Anti-Fascist
Anti-Bigotry
Anti-Right Wing
Anti-Capitalism