NATION

PASSWORD

RESOLVED: Atheist Airman Allowed To Modify Oath

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Freiheit Reich
Negotiator

Founded: May 27, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Freiheit Reich » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:34 pm

Washington Resistance Army wrote:
Freiheit Reich wrote:
The airman is wrong because God exists and he needs to respect God's power. Being anti-God is not cool or hip (as the airman and many other atheists seem to believe). He will find out the truth in a few years on Judgment Day. Apparently, the fact he is alive and the sun rises and falls every day is not proof enough for this gentleman.

I'm guessing you have evidence for all these claims?

http://www.everystudent.com/features/isthere.html

http://www.godisreal.today/proof-god-exists/
Your political compass
Economic Left/Right: 3.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.87

Shaggai
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 27, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Shaggai » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:39 pm

Freiheit Reich wrote:

None of those are sufficiently strong evidence for your god.
piss

Dewhurst-Narculis
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Dewhurst-Narculis » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:42 pm

Freiheit Reich wrote:

Wow, brings a whole new meaning to Satryd Nepasr ter

You are entitled to your beliefs, the airman and all atheists are entitled to theirs, nothing is more irritating than someone trying to shove scripture down others throats like the ironic phallic blasphemy that pretty much is the same
PT/MT Nation
Death is the only Absolute
The Grand Duchy of Dewhurst-Narculis
|Monarchist Nation| DEFCON [3] [2][1]
Coveton Crisis 1828-Mutual victory
Quendisphere War 2010-Resolved

1st Great Southern War 1898
2nd Great Southern War 1925
3rd Great Southern War 1942-1944
4th Great Southern War 1983
Dewhurst-Narculian- Theaman War 2010
Okhotsk Conflict 2012-2013
2nd Cedorian-Gilnean War-2014 ^All Won

North Vasangal Uprising-2014-(Ongoing)
Dervistonian War-2014-(Ongoing)
One of the the original founders of: SEC, Axis, SACTO and the Great Southern Ocean Region| Nine Years and no Condemnation/Commendation, what is this?

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 29, 2008
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Rich Port » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:42 pm

Freiheit Reich wrote:

... I love how none of those "proofs" have links to, oh, I dunno... News stories that corroborate them.

You know what else is proof of God? Midgets that escape from the bowels of tigers.

It was in the news this rawning.
THOSE THAT SOW THORNS SHOULD NOT EXPECT FLOWERS
CONSERVATISM IS FEAR AND STAGNATION AS IDEOLOGY. ONLY MARCH FORWARD.

Pronouns: She/Her
The Alt-Right Playbook
Alt-right/racist terminology
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Ainin
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 05, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ainin » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:42 pm

Freiheit Reich wrote:Apparently, the fact he is alive and the sun rises and falls every day is not proof enough for this gentleman.

He came alive through sexual reproduction and the sun rises and falls every day due to the revolution of the earth around the sun and around itself.

Try again.
Last edited by Ainin on Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Republic of Nakong | 內江共和國 | IIwiki · Map · Kylaris
"And when the last law was down, and the Devil turned round on you — where would you hide, Roper, the laws all being flat?"

Lalaki
Senator

Founded: May 11, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Lalaki » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:43 pm

Religious freedom has won the battle.
Born again free market capitalist.

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Postby The Rich Port » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:44 pm

Freiheit Reich wrote:
Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
You can only reasonably defend one of these statements. Choose wisely.

The airman is wrong because God exists and he needs to respect God's power. Being anti-God is not cool or hip (as the airman and many other atheists seem to believe). He will find out the truth in a few years on Judgment Day. Apparently, the fact he is alive and the sun rises and falls every day is not proof enough for this gentleman.

... The Sun doesn't move.

The reason is SEEMS that way is because the Earth rotates.

And, no, being alive is not proof of God. It's proof Hades exists.

The Alt-Right Playbook
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Talanzaar
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 08, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Talanzaar » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:45 pm

Why is it such a big deal? Was he really that offended by 4 words? Really? Truly? Why doesn't he just say them, doesn't mean that they mean anything to him.
Chancellor of the Region of Esamir

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Postby The Rich Port » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:46 pm

Talanzaar wrote:Why is it such a big deal? Was he really that offended by 4 words? Really? Truly? Why doesn't he just say them, doesn't mean that they mean anything to him.

If the words were, "so help me Zeus", would you have said them?

I personally wouldn't say them because I'd think the General swearing me in was high.

The Alt-Right Playbook
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:47 pm

Talanzaar wrote:Why is it such a big deal? Was he really that offended by 4 words? Really? Truly? Why doesn't he just say them, doesn't mean that they mean anything to him.

Why don't you read at least a few pages of the thread?
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Dewhurst-Narculis
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Dewhurst-Narculis » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:47 pm

Goddamnit we just had this argument. Saying it is a big deal to some/most atheists, it would be like a Christian acknowledging Buddha, it's a tarnishing act really
PT/MT Nation

One of the the original founders of: SEC, Axis, SACTO and the Great Southern Ocean Region| Nine Years and no Condemnation/Commendation, what is this?

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:48 pm

Dewhurst-Narculis wrote:

Goddamnit we just had this argument. Saying it is a big deal to some/most atheists, it would be like a Christian acknowledging Buddha, it's a tarnishing act really

That's a bad analogy, but your underlying point is correct.
Last edited by Mavorpen on Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Dewhurst-Narculis
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Dewhurst-Narculis » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:50 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
Dewhurst-Narculis wrote:

That's a bad analogy, but your underlying point is correct.

Yeah granted it's not my best, so sue me, I've been up for 18 hours, I'm hardly Tim Minchin as it is :lol:
PT/MT Nation

Ainin
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 05, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ainin » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:52 pm

Then I presume you would take no offence if a Christian was forced to say "allahu akbar" in order to gain US citizenship?
Republic of Nakong | 內江共和國 | IIwiki · Map · Kylaris
"And when the last law was down, and the Devil turned round on you — where would you hide, Roper, the laws all being flat?"

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Postby The Rich Port » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:53 pm

Ainin wrote:

Then I presume you would take no offence if a Christian was forced to say "allahu akbar" in order to gain US citizenship?

Or, hell, to swear that they would make jihad against the enemies of Islam.

The Alt-Right Playbook
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jun 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:57 pm

Freiheit Reich wrote:
Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
You can only reasonably defend one of these statements. Choose wisely.

The airman is wrong because God exists and he needs to respect God's power.

Irrelevant. Whether God exists or not, the Constitution and a long history of Supreme Court rulings prohibit any religious test whatsoever for him to re-enlist.

Being anti-God is not cool or hip (as the airman and many other atheists seem to believe). He will find out the truth in a few years on Judgment Day.

Absent proven psychic abilities on your part, your interpretation of his motivations is without merit. Even in the event that you are correct, it is still irrelevant, as one's motivations for holding certain views has never affected the Constitutionality of one's right to hold said views.

Apparently, the fact he is alive and the sun rises and falls every day is not proof enough for this gentleman.

Nor for any number of people, including esteemed scientists, philosophers, writers, artists, and other people of note. In fact, even as a theist, I find that argument lacking.

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:01 pm

Freiheit Reich wrote:

Addressing the claims in the "godisreal" link...
1: There is no verifiable evidence that any of these supposed healing miracles actually happened.
2-4: Suffering from delusions is not evidence of your god existing.
5: Dreams are not reality and thus not evidence of your god existing.
6-7: See 2-4.
8: People changing their behaviour is not evidence of your god existing. Not to mention the detail that Christians aren't better people than anyone else.
9: People claiming that their prayers were answered is not evidence of your god existing.
10: People being mistakenly proclaimed to be deceased is not evidence of your god existing.
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent...
Freedom from religion is an integral part of Freedom of religion
Married to Koshka
USMC veteran MOS 0331/8152
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Ifreann: Odds are you're secretly a zebra with a very special keyboard.
Ostro: I think women need to be trained
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:04 pm

The oath calls first you to uphold the constitution. Forcing people to swear by "God" is unconstitutional.
Married to Koshka
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Postby The Rich Port » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:04 pm

Dyakovo wrote:

1: There is no verifiable evidence that any of these supposed healing miracles actually happened.
8: People changing their behaviour is not evidence of your god existing. Not to mention the detail that Christians aren't better people than anyone else.
9: People claiming that their prayers were answered is not evidence of your god existing.
10: People being mistakenly proclaimed to be deceased is not evidence of your god existing.

Heh. "Oh, God, I can't find my keys, please help me! Oh, wait... They were in my pockets... HALLELUJAH!"

The Alt-Right Playbook
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jun 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:04 pm

Dyakovo wrote:

Not to mention that God's existence or nonexistence is actually irrelevant to the question itself, and any attempt to turn this into a theist vs. atheist/anti-theist/apatheist debate serves only as a distraction from the point at hand, which is the right to serve one's nation without being forced to take an oath that one does not believe in.

Indira
Minister

Founded: Feb 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Indira » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:05 pm

Freiheit Reich wrote:

Not proof of God, just proof of the determination of religious people to see God. He exists through this little thing called sex. You may have heard of it. The sun 'rises' and falls is basic astronomy and happens on EVERY PLANET IN OUR SOLAR SYSTEM. And Judgement Day? Not going to happen anytime soon if at all. There have been people claiming that the world is going to end soon for a VERY long time. Anyone remember 2012/ The Millenium? And various others.

Good news about his oath though

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:07 pm

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
Dyakovo wrote:Addressing the claims in the "godisreal" link...

Not to mention that God's existence or nonexistence is actually irrelevant to the question itself, and any attempt to turn this into a theist vs. atheist/anti-theist/apatheist debate serves only as a distraction from the point at hand, which is the right to serve one's nation without being forced to take an oath that one does not believe in.

Eh... The point's already been made. The Air Farce got bitch-slapped by the DoD lawyers.
Edit: But you're right, whether or not "God" exists is immaterial.
Last edited by Dyakovo on Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Married to Koshka

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Postby The Rich Port » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:11 pm

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
Dyakovo wrote:Addressing the claims in the "godisreal" link...

IKR?

What I want to know is which USAF jag-off put that oath in there and who he is because I want his ass on a silver platter.

HOOAH.

The Alt-Right Playbook
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

New Chalcedon
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 20, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby New Chalcedon » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:18 pm

Ainin wrote:

Eh, that's just Arabic for "God is Great". Try this:

"lā ʾilāha ʾillā-llāh, muhammadun rasūlu-llāh"

Make all prospective oath-swearers to the US Government swear that there is no God but Allah, and that Muhammad is his Prophet.

It's just one short sentence, right?

The Rich Port wrote:
Yumyumsuppertime wrote:Not to mention that God's existence or nonexistence is actually irrelevant to the question itself, and any attempt to turn this into a theist vs. atheist/anti-theist/apatheist debate serves only as a distraction from the point at hand, which is the right to serve one's nation without being forced to take an oath that one does not believe in.

IKR?

What I want to know is which USAF jag-off put that oath in there and who he is because I want his ass on a silver platter.

HOOAH.

It was a behind the scenes change to the oath about two years ago. Not an individual screwup.

Since this is the chair force, I can hardly say I'm surprised. What's next? A directive converting the pilot couches into pews on Sundays? What's another hour out of their availability times? :P
Last edited by New Chalcedon on Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fuck it all. Let the world burn - there's no way roaches could do a worse job of being decent than we have.

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Postby The Rich Port » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:19 pm

New Chalcedon wrote:
Ainin wrote:Then I presume you would take no offence if a Christian was forced to say "allahu akbar" in order to gain US citizenship?

Eh, that's just Arabic for "God is Great". Try this:

"lā ʾilāha ʾillā-llāh, muhammadun rasūlu-llāh"

Make all prospective oath-swearers to the US Government swear that there is no God but Allah, and that Muhammad is his Prophet.

It's just one short sentence, right?

The Rich Port wrote:
IKR?

HOOAH.

It was a behind the scenes change to the oath about two years ago. Not an individual screwup.

Since this is the chair force, I can hardly say I'm surprised. :P

:rofl: We need plausible deniability for this stupid oath change. We don't want the blowback of angry atheists hacking our computers and putting our sexts all over the Internet.

The Alt-Right Playbook
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General