NATION

PASSWORD

Firing Squad

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Do you support the return of firing squads

Yes
39%
No
10%
In some cases
17%
Not painful enough of a death
8%
No I am against the death sentence
27%

Total votes : 249

Zathganastan
Senator

Founded: Aug 22, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Zathganastan » Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:55 pm

Personally I prefer madame guillotine, quick, painless, and nearly idiot proof to point where it can't possibly fail to kill in one swift motion.
Although I suppose firing squads work to.
Evelyn Beatrice Hall:I may disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it
Shakespeare:All the world's a stage, And all the men and women merely players:
They have their exits and their entrances;And one man in his time plays many parts
The Allied states Military, zathganastans pride and Joy:
Army: 35,000,000 armed forces
Navy: 18,000 ships
Air force: 10,000,000 air force personal
and National Marines: 8,000,000 marines
Zathgan speical forces:2,500,000 speical forces

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:55 pm

If there's a death sentence give them the "Choot 'em, Clint" or Guillotine.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Level 12 Myrmidon, Level ⑨ Tsundere, Level ✿ Hold My Flower
Bad Idea Purveyor
8 Values: https://8values.github.io/results.html?e=56.1&d=70.2&g=86.5&s=91.9
Political Compass: Economic -10.00 Authoritarian: -9.13
TG for Facebook if you want to friend me
Marissa, Goddess of Stratospheric Reach
preferred pronouns: Female ones
Primarily lesbian, but pansexual in nature

Threlizdun
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 14, 2009
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Threlizdun » Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:55 pm

Galter Gulcher wrote:
Threlizdun wrote:There is no form of the death penalty that is cheaper or more ethical than rehabilitation.

Cheaper? :eyebrow: I mean yeah sure if we bring back chain gangs.

Yes cheaper, life imprisonment is cheaper than the death penalty. Rehabilitation easily is cheaper.
She/they

Communalist, Social Ecologist, Bioregionalist

This site stresses me out, so I rarely come on here anymore. I'll try to be civil and respectful towards those I'm debating on here. If you don't extend the same courtesy then I'll probably just ignore you.

If we've been friendly in the past and you want to keep in touch, shoot me a telegram

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:57 pm

Threlizdun wrote:
Galter Gulcher wrote:
Cheaper? :eyebrow: I mean yeah sure if we bring back chain gangs.

Yes cheaper, life imprisonment is cheaper than the death penalty. Rehabilitation easily is cheaper.

Back on the chain gang, I have a picture of Harley Quinn.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Level 12 Myrmidon, Level ⑨ Tsundere, Level ✿ Hold My Flower
Bad Idea Purveyor
8 Values: https://8values.github.io/results.html?e=56.1&d=70.2&g=86.5&s=91.9
Political Compass: Economic -10.00 Authoritarian: -9.13
TG for Facebook if you want to friend me
Marissa, Goddess of Stratospheric Reach
preferred pronouns: Female ones
Primarily lesbian, but pansexual in nature

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:57 pm

Scomagia wrote:A firing squad would be acceptable only if every citizen were put into a lottery to be on the firing squad. If a society is willing to have barbaric practices as law, they should be forced to take part in them and not shunt the burden onto someone else.

if you do that, you miss out on the opportunity for the government to provide jobs.

Also, I'm sure firing squad members need to be trained and take a long time to hone their skills at the art of humane execution shots. If I am to be executed for example (assuming I committed a serious crime), I think I should have the right to be expected to be executed by a professional (with minimal chances of botching up and hitting my knee).

Let's not democratize something that requires expertise and miss out on an opportunity to provide permanent jobs.
Last edited by Infected Mushroom on Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Galter Gulcher
Minister

Founded: Sep 21, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Galter Gulcher » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:00 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Scomagia wrote:A firing squad would be acceptable only if every citizen were put into a lottery to be on the firing squad. If a society is willing to have barbaric practices as law, they should be forced to take part in them and not shunt the burden onto someone else.

if you do that, you miss out on the opportunity for the government to provide jobs.

Also, I'm sure firing squad members need to be trained and take a long time to hone their skills at the art of humane execution shots. If I am to be executed for example (assuming I committed a serious crime), I think I should have the right to be expected to be executed by a professional (with minimal chances of botching up and hitting my knee).

Let's not democratize something that requires expertise and miss out on an opportunity to provide permanent jobs.

Why would they be paid though? I mean, as I said I would volunteer. No need for paid professionals.
Last edited by Galter Gulcher on Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_[' ]_
(-_Q) If you support Capitalism put this in your Signature.
Screw the NSA.
I support gay marriage.
I am against Gay attitudes towards pretty much anything.
Hungary people need to just eat some endangered animals.
Mallorea and Riva should be awarded for their actions.

The Orson Empire
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 20, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Orson Empire » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:00 pm

United Marxist Nations wrote:
The Orson Empire wrote:The reason a firing squad would be used, and not a single shooter, is because of the diffusion of responsibility.

In some cases, one or more members of the squad will be issued weapons containing blank cartridges, and no member is told that they are using live ammunition. This allows each member of the firing squad to believe that they did not fire the fatal shot, which would eliminate any life-long guilt or depression they would suffer from having to kill a person.

There are machines that do this. In fact, IIRC, there was a machine specifically designed to be a firing squad used in the late 1800's. It was only used once because the people there thought that it was wrong to use something that couldn't feel guilt.

Very interesting.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:01 pm

Galter Gulcher wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:

Why would they be paid though? I mean, as I said I would volunteer. No need for paid professionals.

how good is your marksmanship?

The Orson Empire
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 20, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Orson Empire » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:01 pm

The only problem is that not everyone in a society will support the death penalty. You would also be forcing people who are opposed to it to partake in it, which would not end well.

Galter Gulcher
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Galter Gulcher » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:04 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Galter Gulcher wrote:

I hit a dinner plate with my AR today at about 100 yards.
_[' ]_
Screw the NSA.
I support gay marriage.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:04 pm

The Orson Empire wrote:

The only problem is that not everyone in a society will support the death penalty. You would also be forcing people who are opposed to it to partake in it, which would not end well.

also, its not barbaric so long as no one is tortured.

Its actually a dignified way to bring swift justice to society's most violent criminals; something I would argue is necessary for society's guaranteed protection (violent criminals could escape prisons and hurt others again) and to achieve real justice (if you take a life, you should give yours).

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:04 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Galter Gulcher wrote:

Probably pretty bad when he's fapping.
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent...
Freedom from religion is an integral part of Freedom of religion
Married to Koshka
USMC veteran MOS 0331/8152
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Ifreann: Odds are you're secretly a zebra with a very special keyboard.
Ostro: I think women need to be trained
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:05 pm

The Serbian Empire wrote:If there's a death sentence give them the "Choot 'em, Clint" or Guillotine.

People aren't gators.
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.
Where is your God-Emperor now?

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:06 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
The Orson Empire wrote:The only problem is that not everyone in a society will support the death penalty. You would also be forcing people who are opposed to it to partake in it, which would not end well.

also, its not barbaric so long as no one is tortured.

It's barbaric with or without torture.
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent...
Freedom from religion is an integral part of Freedom of religion
Married to Koshka
USMC veteran MOS 0331/8152
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Ifreann: Odds are you're secretly a zebra with a very special keyboard.
Ostro: I think women need to be trained
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:06 pm

Galter Gulcher wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:

I hit a dinner plate with my AR today at about 100 yards.

ah I see...

I'm imagining a society where only the state can own guns.

Though I suppose if you implement in America and allow volunteers, they would need to pass a marksmanship qualification? It would be terrible if the executed had to be shot over and over and over because of poor marksmanship on the part of the volunteers. It would make things messy and inhumane.

I think in China where they still have it they don't allow volunteers but only use real professional state-licensed marksmen.

Galter Gulcher
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Galter Gulcher » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:07 pm

Dyakovo wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:

Probably pretty bad when he's fapping.

No, its pretty good. And I do not speak from experience.
Last edited by Galter Gulcher on Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_[' ]_
Screw the NSA.
I support gay marriage.

Pandeeria
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Pandeeria » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:09 pm

The Orson Empire wrote:
Pandeeria wrote:I'm against the death penalty, but even if I was for it, I would still be against firing squads. It would be better to just have someone shoot the guilty person in the head twice.

The reason a firing squad would be used, and not a single shooter, is because of the diffusion of responsibility.

In some cases, one or more members of the squad will be issued weapons containing blank cartridges, and no member is told that they are using live ammunition. This allows each member of the firing squad to believe that they did not fire the fatal shot, which would eliminate any life-long guilt or depression they would suffer from having to kill a person.

Oh yes, sorry for forgetting something so important.

Anyways, as Marxi said, there are machines that do it. Perhaps have the person strapped down, have a (powerful) pistol to their head and then have six people press a button. However, only two of the six buttons will fire a bullet.
Lavochkin wrote:Never got why educated people support communism.

In capitalism, you pretty much have a 50/50 chance of being rich or poor. In communism, it's 1/99. What makes people think they have the luck/skill to become the 1% if they can't even succeed in a 50/50 society???

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:10 pm

Pandeeria wrote:
The Orson Empire wrote:The reason a firing squad would be used, and not a single shooter, is because of the diffusion of responsibility.

Anyways, as Marxi said, there are machines that do it. Perhaps have the person strapped down, have a (powerful) pistol to their head and then have six people press a button. However, only two of the six buttons will fire a bullet.

Machines are a cop out.
Insert trite farewell here

United Marxist Nations
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby United Marxist Nations » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:11 pm

Scomagia wrote:
Pandeeria wrote:

Machines are a cop out.

Hence why they stopped using it.

But still, that's no less reason.
The Kievan People wrote: United Marxist Nations: A prayer for every soul, a plan for every economy and a waifu for every man. Solid.

Eastern Orthodox Catechumen. Religious communitarian with Sorelian, Marxist, and Traditionalist influences. Sympathies toward Sunni Islam. All flags/avatars are chosen for aesthetic or humor purposes only
An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded.
St. John Chrysostom wrote:A comprehended God is no God.

Pandeeria
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Pandeeria » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:12 pm

Scomagia wrote:
Pandeeria wrote:

Machines are a cop out.

That's a rather arbitrary and trivial counter argument.

Explain further.
Lavochkin wrote:Never got why educated people support communism.

In capitalism, you pretty much have a 50/50 chance of being rich or poor. In communism, it's 1/99. What makes people think they have the luck/skill to become the 1% if they can't even succeed in a 50/50 society???

Valkalan
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 26, 2009
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Valkalan » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:13 pm

Galter Gulcher wrote:I hit a dinner plate with my AR today at about 100 yards.

Not bad. I had to shoot human-sized targets at ranges of up to 300 meters using an M16A2 at Ft Sill. The experience was rather unpleasant due to the cold.

The targets at Ft Sill are affectionately referred to as "Ivan."
वज्रमात अस्ता रिजथम

The Directorate of Valkalan is a federation of autonomous city-states which operate a joint military and share uniform commercial and civil law and a common foreign policy, and which is characterized by wealth, intrigue, and advanced technology.

The Fascist American Empire
Minister

Founded: Oct 12, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Fascist American Empire » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:13 pm

I'd rather die like a man (shot), than die through a lethal injection that may or may not be botched.

Americans, hands off Ukraine and let Russia do what they will in their own sphere of influence! You are not the world's police!
You obviously do since you posted a response like the shifty little red velvet pseudo ant you are. Yes I am onto your little tricks you hissing pest you exoskeleton brier patch you. Now crawl back in to that patch of grass you call hell and hiss some more. -Benuty
[quote="Arkandros";p="20014230"]

RIP Eli Waller
Race! It is a feeling, not a reality: ninety-five percent, at least, is a feeling. Nothing will ever make me believe that biologically pure races can be shown to exist today. -Benito Mussolini

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:14 pm

Pandeeria wrote:

i'm sure with today's technology, they could engineer a completely functional model.

The issue would be, is it more or less humane than the present system with the chemicals? I'm no expert...

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:14 pm

Pandeeria wrote:
Scomagia wrote:Machines are a cop out.

Explain further.

The use of a machine allows for society and those involved in the execution to further distance themselves from the responsibility of ending someone's life. Blank cartridges and lethal injections do, as well.
Insert trite farewell here

United Marxist Nations
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby United Marxist Nations » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:15 pm

Scomagia wrote:
Pandeeria wrote:

Explain further.

The use of a machine allows for society and those involved in the execution to further distance themselves from the responsibility of ending someone's life. Blank cartridges and lethal injections do, as well.

So, again, arbitrary and trivial.
The Kievan People wrote: United Marxist Nations: A prayer for every soul, a plan for every economy and a waifu for every man. Solid.

Eastern Orthodox Catechumen. Religious communitarian with Sorelian, Marxist, and Traditionalist influences. Sympathies toward Sunni Islam. All flags/avatars are chosen for aesthetic or humor purposes only
An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded.
St. John Chrysostom wrote:A comprehended God is no God.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General