NATION

PASSWORD

Neo-Conservatism: Bomb this thread, we have Oil

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What is your stance on Neo-Conservatism?

As a NeoCon, I believe it's good.
12%
I'm not a NeoCon, but I agree with many of their points.
13%
I'm not a NeoCon, and they are right once in a blue moon.
18%
I'm not a NeoCon, and I believe they are wrong.
36%
Why does America even need a military? Costa Rica seems to be doing fine.
4%
It's a Zionist-Halliburton-Bush-Saudi-Enron-Blair conspiracy for oil.
16%

Total votes : 271

Murkwood
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Murkwood » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:34 pm

Geilinor wrote:
Murkwood wrote:At the time? I don't think so.

Kim Jong-il, maybe.

Nah, Saddam killed more.
Degenerate Heart of HetRio wrote:Murkwood, I'm surprised you're not an anti-Semite and don't mind most LGBT rights because boy, aren't you a constellation of the worst opinions to have about everything? o_o

Benuty wrote:I suppose Ken Ham, and the league of Republican-Neocolonialist-Zionist Catholics will not be pleased.

Soldati senza confini wrote:Did I just try to rationalize Murkwood's logic? Please shoot me.

Catholicism has the fullness of the splendor of truth: The Bible and the Church Fathers agree!

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:49 pm

Benuty wrote:
Genivaria wrote:I believe that the world must be made safe for democracy, but the Neo-con method is....counter-productive at best.
Strong multilateralism and the notion of a Concert of Democracies is what should be pursued I think.

Counter productive?

Hell it is neo-colonialism at most that's far more than just counter productive.

I was being overly tactful.

The Greater Aryan Race
Senator

Founded: Mar 21, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Greater Aryan Race » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:05 pm

Glorious Freedonia wrote:When you are in the right who cares what evil people think? Nobody hates us for spreading freedom from tyrants. War is just one of the ways to do this by it works pretty well. Vietnam was an anti communism thing not a neo con thing. I also happen to support anti communism but they are separate.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Yeah I'm sure no one in Iraq or Afghanistan or Vietnam hates the US for invading their country, flattening their homes and killing their relatives. You keep telling yourself that.

And seeing how the US has screwed up a ton of countries it invaded, I would say history clearly disproves your claims that war is a great way to bring freedom.
Last edited by The Greater Aryan Race on Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Imperium Sidhicum wrote:So, uh... Is this another one of those threads where everyone is supposed to feel outraged and circle-jerk in agreement of how injust and terrible the described incident is?

Because if it is, I'm probably going to say something mean and contrary just to contradict the majority.

This nation is now IC-ly known as the Teutonic Reich.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:39 pm

I'm not a Neocon - Neocons tend to be trigger-happy and light on the diplomacy. It's more about strength and power than the ideals they claim to uphold. When people speak disdainfully of America acting as 'world police', what they mean is that we're acting like thugs; not that we're policing by consent in the finest traditions of what law enforcement is supposed to represent.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:42 pm

Conserative Morality wrote:I'm not a Neocon - Neocons tend to be trigger-happy and light on the diplomacy. It's more about strength and power than the ideals they claim to uphold. When people speak disdainfully of America acting as 'world police', what they mean is that we're acting like thugs; not that we're policing by consent in the finest traditions of what law enforcement is supposed to represent.

The best law enforcement draws a good bit of the enforcers from the people they are protecting.
How can one nation protect the whole world? A 'Post-Atlantic NATO' or Concert of Democracies would do far more good then one nation acting unilaterally.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:55 pm

Genivaria wrote:The best law enforcement draws a good bit of the enforcers from the people they are protecting.
How can one nation protect the whole world? A 'Post-Atlantic NATO' or Concert of Democracies would do far more good then one nation acting unilaterally.

Even our most unpopular military 'adventures' haven't been undertaken alone. For better or worse, where the USA goes, our allies are mostly dragged along. And our list of allies keeps growing.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

Archeuland and Baughistan
Minister

Founded: Aug 14, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Archeuland and Baughistan » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:59 pm

Canaore wrote:When are you going to stop trying to be funny and write normal titles?

Amen
Standing on the truth of God's word and the gospel.
Learn more about the true history of the world here.
You must be born again? What does that mean?
Islam, the religion of peace? What does history tell us?
The Israelites were "genocidal"? No they weren't!
Agenda 21 map - it affects us all!
Let's rebuild Noah's Ark to serve as a reminder about the true history of Earth!
Proud Foreign Minister of the Christian Liberty Alliance

☩Founder of the Alliance of Protestant Nations - Join today! Learn more here

District XIV
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby District XIV » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:38 pm

Archeuland and Baughistan wrote:
Canaore wrote:When are you going to stop trying to be funny and write normal titles?

Amen

It's not NSG without a funny title here and there; attacking a thread due to its title (except in certain cases. hint: this is not one of them) is regressive and unnecessary.

Glorious Freedonia
Senator

Founded: Jun 09, 2006
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Glorious Freedonia » Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:07 am

The Greater Aryan Race wrote:
Glorious Freedonia wrote:When you are in the right who cares what evil people think? Nobody hates us for spreading freedom from tyrants. War is just one of the ways to do this by it works pretty well. Vietnam was an anti communism thing not a neo con thing. I also happen to support anti communism but they are separate.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Yeah I'm sure no one in Iraq or Afghanistan or Vietnam hates the US for invading their country, flattening their homes and killing their relatives. You keep telling yourself that.

And seeing how the US has screwed up a ton of countries it invaded, I would say history clearly disproves your claims that war is a great way to bring freedom.

Nonsense. Also the us does not invade anyone. We liberate the oppressed. Take your anti Americanism somewhere else like North Korea perhaps.

Glorious Freedonia
Senator

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Glorious Freedonia » Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:10 am

PC World News wrote:
Jocabia wrote:Yes, we might do well to show how good democracy is for our own people. If we believe our form of government is best for the people, then it should be clear. Instead, most objective observers can see that our form of government is best for a very small percentage. What on earth would make the general populace of any country want to spread that?

If you want endorsement from the people, something neocon politicians never seek and don't understand, you can't get it by torture, by ignoring rights, by denying trials, by murder, intimidation and violence. You have to make their lives better and show them the benefits of our cultural views on style of government. Plunging a country into 10 years of violence and completely decimating it's resources is not the way to accomplish your goals. It doesn't spread freedom, democracy or stop terrorism. It has a tendency to promote the exact opposite response. And the evidence on this is clear. George Bush Sr. knew it. His son and the Neocons did not.

I see you and I agree. You are a realist to assume that most of the world won't except our idea of government, but there is still a way we give those who are oppressed hope. They can always leave their country and come to this nation, and they have that right. Now, I completely understand what that means for some. For some, it can mean death while for others, it is almost impossible, if not impossible, to get here.

Sometimes, it's not about spreading democracy. It's about giving the world hope, and you certainly can't give hope with weapons of war.

If people hate our government why would they want to come to the us.

The Grim Reaper
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 08, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Grim Reaper » Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:11 am

If people hate our government why would they want to come to the us.

Because the USA only cares about people in the USA. Safer there, when they insist on coming to you.
Last edited by The Grim Reaper on Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
If I can't play bass, I don't want to be part of your revolution.
Melbourne, Australia

A & Ω

Is "not a blood diamond" a high enough bar for a wedding ring? Artificial gemstones are better-looking, more ethical, and made out of PURE SCIENCE™.

Glorious Freedonia
Senator

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Glorious Freedonia » Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:11 am

Jocabia wrote:
PC World News wrote:
There is another alternative than war in situations like Vietnam and Iraq. You cannot expect to fight tyranny all over the world with only military might. Spreading democracy through means of violence will only cause retaliation from the international community. War, my friend, is a two-way street.

It would be better if we, as a nation, focused more on preserving are own constitutional freedoms than using war to "save" nations.

If we did this, we would have spread a little less animosity in the world, and since there would be less animosity, the international community (and the people who live under oppressive regimes) would be more inclined to accept our idea of freedom.

Yes, we might do well to show how good democracy is for our own people. If we believe our form of government is best for the people, then it should be clear. Instead, most objective observers can see that our form of government is best for a very small percentage. What on earth would make the general populace of any country want to spread that?

If you want endorsement from the people, something neocon politicians never seek and don't understand, you can't get it by torture, by ignoring rights, by denying trials, by murder, intimidation and violence. You have to make their lives better and show them the benefits of our cultural views on style of government. Plunging a country into 10 years of violence and completely decimating it's resources is not the way to accomplish your goals. It doesn't spread freedom, democracy or stop terrorism. It has a tendency to promote the exact opposite response. And the evidence on this is clear. George Bush Sr. knew it. His son and the Neocons did not.

How does our government only benefit a few people?

Glorious Freedonia
Senator

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Glorious Freedonia » Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:12 am

Jocabia wrote:
Glorious Freedonia wrote:Nonsense. Neocons do not favor any of those nasty things. That is the opposite of what we seek.

Ah, you're not serious.

Yes I am serious. If you are against totalitarianism you do not do bad things like that.

Glorious Freedonia
Senator

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Glorious Freedonia » Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:13 am

Arkolon wrote:You could consider "interventionist paleoconservative", because neocons are looked down upon.

Neocons are the good guys only tyrant loving peaceniks look down on them.

The Greater Aryan Race
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Greater Aryan Race » Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:18 am

Glorious Freedonia wrote:Nonsense. Also the us does not invade anyone. We liberate the oppressed.

What a load of horseshit.

Yeah I'm sure the people of Chile were liberated when the US actively waged economic warfare to destabilise a democratically-elected regime then actively supported the Pinochet dictatorship.

And I suppose by your defective logic, American support for the Batista regime sure as hell "liberated" the Cuban people.

Glorious Freedonia wrote:Take your anti Americanism somewhere else like North Korea perhaps.

You don't have to be anti-American to know that American interventionism has often created more problems than solutions. Nice try though.
Imperium Sidhicum wrote:So, uh... Is this another one of those threads where everyone is supposed to feel outraged and circle-jerk in agreement of how injust and terrible the described incident is?

Because if it is, I'm probably going to say something mean and contrary just to contradict the majority.

Murkwood
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Murkwood » Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:40 am

Genivaria wrote:
Conserative Morality wrote:I'm not a Neocon - Neocons tend to be trigger-happy and light on the diplomacy. It's more about strength and power than the ideals they claim to uphold. When people speak disdainfully of America acting as 'world police', what they mean is that we're acting like thugs; not that we're policing by consent in the finest traditions of what law enforcement is supposed to represent.

The best law enforcement draws a good bit of the enforcers from the people they are protecting.

We never act unilaterally. We always have help from our allies.
Degenerate Heart of HetRio wrote:Murkwood, I'm surprised you're not an anti-Semite and don't mind most LGBT rights because boy, aren't you a constellation of the worst opinions to have about everything? o_o

Benuty wrote:I suppose Ken Ham, and the league of Republican-Neocolonialist-Zionist Catholics will not be pleased.

Soldati senza confini wrote:Did I just try to rationalize Murkwood's logic? Please shoot me.

Catholicism has the fullness of the splendor of truth: The Bible and the Church Fathers agree!

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Founded: Mar 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:50 am

Glorious Freedonia wrote:Nonsense. Also the us does not invade anyone. We liberate the oppressed. Take your anti Americanism somewhere else like North Korea perhaps.

Even I as a History major with emphasis on Foreign Relations can tell you that we have a shit record about "liberating the oppressed"; mostly because we end up oppressing to begin with.
Soldati senza confini: Better than an iPod in shuffle more with 20,000 songs.
Tekania wrote:Welcome to NSG, where informed opinions get to bump-heads with ignorant ideology under the pretense of an equal footing.

"When it’s a choice of putting food on the table, or thinking about your morals, it’s easier to say you’d think about your morals, but only if you’ve never faced that decision." - Anastasia Richardson

Current Goal: Flesh out nation factbook.

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:52 am

Glorious Freedonia wrote:If people hate our government why would they want to come to the us.

Because many of us, even though your domestic policies are a mess and your foreign relations is shit, know we're at least better off than in our countries.
Last edited by Soldati Senza Confini on Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tekania wrote:Welcome to NSG, where informed opinions get to bump-heads with ignorant ideology under the pretense of an equal footing.

"When it’s a choice of putting food on the table, or thinking about your morals, it’s easier to say you’d think about your morals, but only if you’ve never faced that decision." - Anastasia Richardson

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:54 am

Glorious Freedonia wrote:
Jocabia wrote:Ah, you're not serious.

Yes I am serious. If you are against totalitarianism you do not do bad things like that.

Neocons are not against totalitarianism. The PATRIOT Act is a clear sign of.

Murkwood
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Murkwood » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:08 am

Soldati senza confini wrote:
Glorious Freedonia wrote:Nonsense. Also the us does not invade anyone. We liberate the oppressed. Take your anti Americanism somewhere else like North Korea perhaps.

Even I as a History major with emphasis on Foreign Relations can tell you that we have a shit record about "liberating the oppressed"; mostly because we end up oppressing to begin with.

Our foreign relations are shit? We are the sole superpower, y'know.

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:24 am

Murkwood wrote:

Our foreign relations are shit? We are the sole superpower, y'know.

We are the sole superpower, doesn't mean our record is a perfect record.

I point you to the Cold War era and the recent Iraq intervention to make my point.
Last edited by Soldati Senza Confini on Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Murkwood
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Murkwood » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:28 am

Murkwood wrote:Our foreign relations are shit? We are the sole superpower, y'know.

I point you to the Cold War era and the recent Iraq intervention to make my point.

Still, we won both.

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:47 am

Murkwood wrote:

Still, we won both.

We didn't really "win" the Cold War, the USSR simply collapsed into itself, but that can hardly be considered a "win". It's like winning a boxing match because your opponent had a car crash in the highway.

And Iraq was a failed mission even by the view of the top brass and George Bush's admission in his most recent book covering the war.

Murkwood
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Murkwood » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:49 am

Murkwood wrote:Still, we won both.

We didn't really "win" the Cold War, the USSR simply collapsed into itself, but that can hardly be considered a "win". It's like winning a boxing match because your opponent had a car crash in the highway.

And Iraq was a failed mission even by the view of the top brass and George Bush's admission in his most recent book covering the war.

The goal of the Cold War was to bring about the collapse of Communism, which happened.

As for Iraq, we did win when it came to the main objectives. Nation-building, however, didn't really work out.

The Greater Aryan Race
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Greater Aryan Race » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:52 am

Murkwood wrote:As for Iraq, we did win when it came to the main objectives. Nation-building, however, didn't really work out.

What?

The objective of the Iraqi invasion was to find WMDs. Which you guys found none.

Then when that objective failed embarrassingly, the US then changed it's original rationale for invading Iraq from finding WMDs to nation-building. Needless to say, you guys failed spectacularly on that count too.

So nope, on all accounts, you guys did not "win" anything.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General