NATION

PASSWORD

Can Rand Paul beat Hillary?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Nationes Pii Redivivi
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 15, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Nationes Pii Redivivi » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:48 am

Over a thousand posts latter, and the consensus seems to be "No!", with a further "And the Republican Party probably will not win the election with any candidate."

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ashmoria » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:16 am

Mavorpen wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:the only people who could say its true are the guys he said it to. they are probably dead now.

it doesn't seem to be particularly lbj-ish to me but he was known to say and do what needed to be done in order to get the job done. so if it made those governors understand that there was an upside to giving black americans full civil rights then it was a job well done.

I'm willing to believe he said something along those lines. I'm NOT willing to believe he said it when the only source is a gossip book. Yes, that's what that book is. It's a gossip book, like ALL of the books Kessler has written. He's less reliable than Ann Coulter.

considering that ive never heard the quote before today im thinking that most people hold your same opinion.
whatever

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:48 am

Empire of Narnia wrote:I thought his name was Ron Paul.

No, Ron Paul's son is not named Ron Paul.
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent...
Freedom from religion is an integral part of Freedom of religion
Married to Koshka
USMC veteran MOS 0331/8152
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Ifreann: Odds are you're secretly a zebra with a very special keyboard.
Ostro: I think women need to be trained
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:51 am

Mavorpen wrote:
Freiheit Reich wrote:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/the-relen ... 33995.html

A liberal newspaper even mentioned it along with other quotes from the party that cares about minorities:

...You didn't actually read that article, did you? That's an OPINION piece (aka blog) by someone under the alias of "The Relentless Conservative." The article DOESN'T actually source ANYTHING legitimate. When I asked for a source, I meant a source that actually confirms that the quote was actually said and from what primary source it came from. The article doesn't give me that.

So again, I have YET to see anyone actually source that bullshit quote.

The only source ever given for that quote is "a secret service agent". The veracity of the quote has never been confirmed.
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent...
Freedom from religion is an integral part of Freedom of religion
Married to Koshka
USMC veteran MOS 0331/8152
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Ifreann: Odds are you're secretly a zebra with a very special keyboard.
Ostro: I think women need to be trained
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Zanubiyala
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 23, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Zanubiyala » Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:19 pm

Most certainly Rand Paul can beat Hillary, people have had enough of the criminal establishment and useless interventionism of the Democratic administration.
IC NAME: Zairo

Nationes Pii Redivivi
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 15, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Nationes Pii Redivivi » Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:20 pm

Zanubiyala wrote:Most certainly Rand Paul can beat Hillary, people have had enough of the criminal establishment and useless interventionism of the Democratic administration.

They will elect someone whose madcap policies demand that we take a time machine and go back, I don't know, to the early twentieth century.

The Orson Empire
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 20, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Orson Empire » Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:19 pm

Zanubiyala wrote:Most certainly Rand Paul can beat Hillary, people have had enough of the criminal establishment and useless interventionism of the Democratic administration.

Ironically, this applies more to the Republican Party than it does the Democratic Party.

Jinwoy
Senator

Founded: May 30, 2011
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Jinwoy » Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:26 pm

The Orson Empire wrote:

Ironically, this applies more to the Republican Party than it does the Democratic Party.

This. I doubt he even knows why Hillary would beat Rand in an election.

Othelos
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Othelos » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:26 pm

wait, what about Bush and the Iraq war?

Freiheit Reich
Negotiator

Founded: May 27, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Freiheit Reich » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:39 pm

Nationes Pii Redivivi wrote:

They will elect someone whose madcap policies demand that we take a time machine and go back, I don't know, to the early twentieth century.

At least back then the USA was respected and wasn't a top target for terrorists in the MIddle East. Back to 1955 would be better though (except with equal rights for all races-no racist policies to include affirmative action).
Your political compass
Economic Left/Right: 3.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.87

Freiheit Reich
Negotiator

Founded: May 27, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Freiheit Reich » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:45 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:the only people who could say its true are the guys he said it to. they are probably dead now.

it doesn't seem to be particularly lbj-ish to me but he was known to say and do what needed to be done in order to get the job done. so if it made those governors understand that there was an upside to giving black americans full civil rights then it was a job well done.

I'm willing to believe he said something along those lines. I'm NOT willing to believe he said it when the only source is a gossip book. Yes, that's what that book is. It's a gossip book, like ALL of the books Kessler has written. He's less reliable than Ann Coulter.

Before you blindly choose the big 'D' candidate consider they are not always pro-black. LBJ might be your hero but you should consider this:

http://theblacksphere.net/2013/07/civil ... b-johnson/

“These Negroes, they’re getting pretty uppity these days and that’s a problem for us since they’ve got something now they never had before, the political pull to back up their uppityness. Now we’ve got to do something about this, we’ve got to give them a little something, just enough to quiet them down, not enough to make a difference. For if we don’t move at all, then their allies will line up against us and there’ll be no way of stopping them, we’ll lose the filibuster and there’ll be no way of putting a brake on all sorts of wild legislation. It’ll be Reconstruction all over again.”

Some Of The Lost History In The Civil Rights Movement

http://www.canadafreepress.com/index.php/article/40889

Were you aware that in order to break the racist ways of Southern Democrats, it was Republican President Eisenhower who sponsored both Civil Rights Act and Voting Rights Act and it was a LBJ lead Senate who fought tooth and nail against them?
Your political compass
Economic Left/Right: 3.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.87

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:56 pm

Freiheit Reich wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:I'm willing to believe he said something along those lines. I'm NOT willing to believe he said it when the only source is a gossip book. Yes, that's what that book is. It's a gossip book, like ALL of the books Kessler has written. He's less reliable than Ann Coulter.

Before you blindly choose the big 'D' candidate consider they are not always pro-black. LBJ might be your hero but you should consider this:

That suggests Eisenhower deserves all the credit for civil rights laws, while in fact he did very little until states tried to resist federal law.
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Black Forrest » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:21 pm

Geilinor wrote:
Freiheit Reich wrote:

That suggests Eisenhower deserves all the credit for civil rights laws, while in fact he did very little until states tried to resist federal law.

Oh you haven't been taking your Republican Logic pills. If it's something good, it was really the work of some republican previously. If it's bad, its because of the current Democratic President.
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:27 pm

Freiheit Reich wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:I'm willing to believe he said something along those lines. I'm NOT willing to believe he said it when the only source is a gossip book. Yes, that's what that book is. It's a gossip book, like ALL of the books Kessler has written. He's less reliable than Ann Coulter.

“These Negroes, they’re getting pretty uppity these days and that’s a problem for us since they’ve got something now they never had before, the political pull to back up their uppityness. Now we’ve got to do something about this, we’ve got to give them a little something, just enough to quiet them down, not enough to make a difference. For if we don’t move at all, then their allies will line up against us and there’ll be no way of stopping them, we’ll lose the filibuster and there’ll be no way of putting a brake on all sorts of wild legislation. It’ll be Reconstruction all over again.”

Some Of The Lost History In The Civil Rights Movement

http://www.canadafreepress.com/index.php/article/40889

Were you aware that in order to break the racist ways of Southern Democrats, it was Republican President Eisenhower who sponsored both Civil Rights Act and Voting Rights Act and it was a LBJ lead Senate who fought tooth and nail against them?

I wonder why the house their web site in the US?

Looking through that guys list of articles. I am surprised he has time to write with all the effort to make tin foil hats.

Seriously; you can do better for sources......
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:29 pm

Nah. They just have to bring up his favorite conspiracy theories and that will sink him quick. He just doesn't know when to stop talking. He has to sprint from the camera to avoid them.

Othelos
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Othelos » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:34 pm

Freiheit Reich wrote:
Nationes Pii Redivivi wrote:

At least back then the USA was respected and wasn't a top target for terrorists in the MIddle East. Back to 1955 would be better though (except with equal rights for all races-no racist policies to include affirmative action).

No, we just had to worry about an ever-increasing threat from the USSR.

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:39 pm

Freiheit Reich wrote:

LBJ isn't "my hero." Do you have any source or not that substantiates he said that quote you attribute to him?
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Flaxxony
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 28, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Flaxxony » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:43 pm

One can only hope

The Scientific States
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 29, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Scientific States » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:44 pm

Flaxxony wrote:One can only hope

...That Hilary would win.
Centrist, Ordoliberal, Bisexual, Agnostic, Pro Social Market Economy, Pro Labour Union, Secular Humanist, Cautious Optimist, Pro LGBT, Pro Marijuana Legalization, Pro Humanitarian Intervention etc etc.
Compass
Economic Left/Right: 0.88
Social Liberal/Authoritarian: -6.62
Political Stuff I Wrote
Why Pinochet and Allende were both terrible
The UKIP: A Bad Choice for Britain
Why South Africa is in a sorry state, and how it can be fixed.
Massive List of My OOC Pros and Cons
Hey, Putin! Leave Ukraine Alone!

Flaxxony
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Flaxxony » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:45 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:

Nah. They just have to bring up his favorite conspiracy theories and that will sink him quick. He just doesn't know when to stop talking. He has to sprint from the camera to avoid them.

I would vouch to say that almost every conspiracy has some shred of truth unlike mass media so I doubt it will hurt that much.

Flaxxony
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Flaxxony » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:46 pm

The Scientific States wrote:
Flaxxony wrote:One can only hope

I would never want anyone but libertarian to win but at least Rand wants to shut down military bases and I'm cool with that

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:47 pm

Flaxxony wrote:

I would never want anyone but libertarian to win but at least Rand wants to shut down military bases and I'm cool with that

Do libertarians really believe he will do that?

The Scientific States
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 29, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Scientific States » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:48 pm

Flaxxony wrote:

What about his stances on other issues? Are you fine with those?
Centrist, Ordoliberal, Bisexual, Agnostic, Pro Social Market Economy, Pro Labour Union, Secular Humanist, Cautious Optimist, Pro LGBT, Pro Marijuana Legalization, Pro Humanitarian Intervention etc etc.
Compass
Economic Left/Right: 0.88
Social Liberal/Authoritarian: -6.62
Political Stuff I Wrote
Why Pinochet and Allende were both terrible
The UKIP: A Bad Choice for Britain
Why South Africa is in a sorry state, and how it can be fixed.
Massive List of My OOC Pros and Cons
Hey, Putin! Leave Ukraine Alone!

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:48 pm

Flaxxony wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:

I would vouch to say that almost every conspiracy has some shred of truth unlike mass media so I doubt it will hurt that much.

Ok. So what's the truth in his conspiracy theory of the Weather service stockpiling ammunition?

Flaxxony
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Flaxxony » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:48 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:
Flaxxony wrote:

Do libertarians really believe he will do that?

Well, if congress does. President can only do so much. Plus, he's not his dad. Much more of a sellout.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General