NATION

PASSWORD

Can Rand Paul beat Hillary?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ashmoria » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:25 am

Murkwood wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:*rolls my eyes*

no murk, its not no one.

I get it, it was a hyperbole. Still, you can't minimize 47% of the voting age population who voted.

of course I can.

with, as I mentioned before, the delicious irony of Romney getting 47% of the vote.
whatever

Death Metal
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 22, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Death Metal » Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:16 am

Ashmoria wrote:ooooo did you see (last night on the Rachel maddow show) that an iowa politician got convicted of taking a bribe from the ron paul campaign in '12? and that the guy who GAVE the bribe is now mitch McConnell's campaign manager? im pretty sure that that guy also worked for rand paul's senate campaign.

I don't watch MSNBC so no I did not.
Only here when I'm VERY VERY VERY bored now.
(Trump is Reagan 2.0: A nationalistic bimbo who will ruin America.)
Death Metal: A nation founded on the most powerful force in the world: METAL! \m/
A non-idealist centre-leftist

Alts: Ronpaulatia, Bisonopolis, Iga, Gygaxia, The Children of Skyrim, Tinfoil Fedoras

Pro: Civil Equality, Scaled Income Taxes, Centralized Govtt, Moderate Business Regulations, Heavy Metal
Con: Censorship in any medium, Sales Tax, Flat Tax, Small Govt, Overly Large Govt, Laissez Faire, AutoTuner.

I support Obama. And so would FA Hayek.

34 arguments Libertarians (and sometimes AnCaps) make, and why they are wrong.

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Postby Ashmoria » Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:55 am

Death Metal wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:ooooo did you see (last night on the Rachel maddow show) that an iowa politician got convicted of taking a bribe from the ron paul campaign in '12? and that the guy who GAVE the bribe is now mitch McConnell's campaign manager? im pretty sure that that guy also worked for rand paul's senate campaign.

I don't watch MSNBC so no I did not.

oh I see that on further investigation it was only a ron to mitch thing. no rand connection.

missed the hat trick by *this* much!
whatever

Freiheit Reich
Negotiator

Founded: May 27, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Freiheit Reich » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:25 pm

Ashmoria wrote:
The Genoese Cromanatum wrote:An overwhelming amount of people voted for Obama simply because he is black. The same will happen to Hillary, since she's a woman.

an overwhelming amount of people voted for Obama because he isn't W (2008) and because he is a pretty good president (2012).

they will vote for Hillary because she is a democrat. the woman thing is icing on the cake that might bring out an extra number of women to vote in the first female president.

Also the fact Hillary is pro-abortion is essential to gaining the female vote.

Women want to have control over their bodies and it looks bad when a man says they can't have an abortion even if his morals regarding abortion are sincere.

Any politician against abortion will struggle to get the female vote, even a female politician would lose votes for this reason.
Your political compass
Economic Left/Right: 3.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.87

Coccygia
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Coccygia » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:35 pm

Rand Paul is the one person who could definitely make me vote for that brain-damaged bitch Hillary.
"Nobody deserves anything. You get what you get." - House
"Hope is for sissies." - House
“Qokedy qokedy dal qokedy qokedy." - The Voynich Manuscript
"We're not ordinary people - we're morons!" - Jerome Horwitz
"A book, any book, is a sacred object." - Jorge Luis Borges
"I am a survivor. I am like a cockroach, you just can't get rid of me." - Madonna

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:37 pm

Coccygia wrote:Rand Paul is the one person who could definitely make me vote for that brain-damaged bitch Hillary.

Wat. She had a concussion a couple years ago, so what?
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

Freiheit Reich
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Freiheit Reich » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:37 pm

Spoder wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:an overwhelming amount of people voted for Obama because he isn't W (2008) and because he is a pretty good president (2012).

they will vote for Hillary because she is a democrat. the woman thing is icing on the cake that might bring out an extra number of women to vote in the first female president.

2012 - I have no fucking idea why people voted for him.

Because Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan were poor choices as well and Americans are slaves to the 2 main parties (they are too foolish to know they have more than 2 choices when they vote). Romney and Paul Ryan are known hypocrites. They criticized Obama for the same things they supported before. Romneycare is like Obamacare but on a state scale. Paul Ryan claims to be a fan of small govt. but he supported the bailout (something his 'idol' Ayn Rand would have blasted him for).

At least Obama is not praising small government while wanting to make government bigger like mainstream republicans always do. He is more honest about his intentions to increase the size of the govt.

I have no idea why Americans voted for Obama or Mitt Romney. I have no idea why they continue to be slaves to the 2 political parties that they always criticize but continue to elect.
Your political compass

Freiheit Reich
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Freiheit Reich » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:42 pm

Coccygia wrote:Rand Paul is the one person who could definitely make me vote for that brain-damaged bitch Hillary.

Watch the language. I dislike Hillary but we don't have to use foul language to talk about her.

Why can't you vote for another party if you dislike the 2 candidates?
Your political compass

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Black Forrest » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:49 pm

I don't understand your new age edgy hipster talk.
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Othelos
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Othelos » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:52 pm

Freiheit Reich wrote:Because Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan were poor choices as well and Americans are slaves to the 2 main parties (they are too foolish to know they have more than 2 choices when they vote).

Not in practice.

Geanna
Minister

Founded: Jul 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Geanna » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:55 pm

Veratia wrote:I will be up front and say that I'm a die hard supporter of the Clintons. I understand that they are much too conservative for a lot of folks here on NSG,but for arguments sake lets say she locked up the Democratic nomination. Do you, NSG, feel that Rand Paul has a good chance of defeating her in the General? If not then which Republican do you think is up to the task?

Personally I think Paul's libertarian-moderate message will be fine and dandy and attract some young people and minorities. However, he will have to defend a fairly conservative voting record. Oh and let's not forget the Republican Primary. I think that in order to win the nomination, he will have to take some hawkish and socially conservative positions and, in doing so, will lose some of the ammunition he currently has against Hillary. If I'm correct, he likes to think of himself as a non-interventionists while Sec. Clinton is just the opposite.

I doubt it, Clintons would be good to have again
Bill was an awesome President, not necessarily a good husband lol
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

"We dance on the lines of our destruction and continuation, to waltz and achieve the happiness of our existence, and to be the laughter in a world of silence."

Geanna
Minister

Founded: Jul 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Geanna » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:56 pm

Freiheit Reich wrote:

Watch the language. I dislike Hillary but we don't have to use foul language to talk about her.

Because in reality it's usually Rep vs Dem
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

"We dance on the lines of our destruction and continuation, to waltz and achieve the happiness of our existence, and to be the laughter in a world of silence."

Freiheit Reich
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Freiheit Reich » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:39 pm

Geanna wrote:
Freiheit Reich wrote:

Its only reality because people don't vote for the candidate they like best. Nobody is stopping you from voting for the best candidate and if you vote for the 2nd best candidate you are making a bad mistake that you might regret every time the one you voted for does something different than what your best candidate would have done.

If you are the only person in your state that voted for Gary Johnson, Ralph Nader, or some other non-democratic or republican candidate than at least you can say you voted with a clear conscience (assuming the republican or democrat are not your ideal choices).
Your political compass

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:39 am

Freiheit Reich wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:an overwhelming amount of people voted for Obama because he isn't W (2008) and because he is a pretty good president (2012).

Hillary is not pro-abortion. She is pro-choice.
Women want to have control over their bodies and it looks bad when a man says they can't have an abortion even if his morals regarding abortion are sincere.

Isn't it shocking how voters tend to avoid supporting politicians who don't think they're really people?
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent...
Freedom from religion is an integral part of Freedom of religion
Married to Koshka
USMC veteran MOS 0331/8152
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Ifreann: Odds are you're secretly a zebra with a very special keyboard.
Ostro: I think women need to be trained
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Postby Ashmoria » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:50 am

Freiheit Reich wrote:
Geanna wrote:

Its only reality because people don't vote for the candidate they like best. Nobody is stopping you from voting for the best candidate and if you vote for the 2nd best candidate you are making a bad mistake that you might regret every time the one you voted for does something different than what your best candidate would have done.

If you are the only person in your state that voted for Gary Johnson, Ralph Nader, or some other non-democratic or republican candidate than at least you can say you voted with a clear conscience (assuming the republican or democrat are not your ideal choices).

ive never seen a 3rd party candidate who would have had massively more support if only he had more money/exposure/better spot on the ballot.

they are pretty much all nutz who need to be kept as far away from office as possible

excepting people like lisa Murkowski, joe Lieberman and Charlie crist who were mainstream politicians forced by circumstance to run outside their major party.
whatever

Murkwood
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Murkwood » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:51 am

Dyakovo wrote:
Freiheit Reich wrote:

Isn't it shocking how voters tend to avoid supporting politicians who don't think they're really people?

Isn't it shocking how wrong that is?

Republicans don't think women are people, and the pro-life movement isn't about restricting rights. They think abortion in murder, ergo, abortion should be banned. Easy.
Degenerate Heart of HetRio wrote:Murkwood, I'm surprised you're not an anti-Semite and don't mind most LGBT rights because boy, aren't you a constellation of the worst opinions to have about everything? o_o

Benuty wrote:I suppose Ken Ham, and the league of Republican-Neocolonialist-Zionist Catholics will not be pleased.

Soldati senza confini wrote:Did I just try to rationalize Murkwood's logic? Please shoot me.

Catholicism has the fullness of the splendor of truth: The Bible and the Church Fathers agree!

Freiheit Reich
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Freiheit Reich » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:01 am

Dyakovo wrote:
Freiheit Reich wrote:

Wouldn't the opposite of 'pro-life' be 'pro-death' or 'pro-abortion'?

The opposite of 'life' is not 'choice'

The argument anti-abortion advocates make is that as soon as the egg is fertilized it is a form of life. Even my biology professor in college made this case (a reason he is against abortion). In this view, abortion is murder and anti-abortion advocates place the life of the baby as equal to the life of the mother. The mother is not allowed to intentionally kill the baby (yes, the baby sometimes kills the mother but this is probably not intentional).

Life begins at conception:

https://www.princeton.edu/~prolife/arti ... otes2.html

This is why I can vote for a candidate either way. I believe abortion is better from a utilitarian standpoint. We don't need more unwanted children, especially those from bad donors (ex. crack mothers, rapists, wife beaters, etc.). However, I understand the other side as well and technically abortion is murder of human life (but I value the human life less because it is not fully formed yet-maybe I am a bit cold-hearted compared to the anti-abortion folks).
Your political compass

Freiheit Reich
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Freiheit Reich » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:18 am

Ashmoria wrote:
Freiheit Reich wrote:

ive never seen a 3rd party candidate who would have had massively more support if only he had more money/exposure/better spot on the ballot.

they are pretty much all nutz who need to be kept as far away from office as possible

excepting people like lisa Murkowski, joe Lieberman and Charlie crist who were mainstream politicians forced by circumstance to run outside their major party.

Compare Clinton, Bush, and Ron Paul. Who seems the more suitable presidential choice? Who is more extreme?

Bush: Patriot Act, 9/11 attacks (possible involvement), Iraq Invasion, prolonged Afghanistan invasion, Sarbanes-Oxley Act (hurts corporations), avoided serving his country in Vietnam War, DUI arrest, possible cocaine use

Bill Clinton-adultery, perjury charges, supported Kosovo terrorists, avoided serving his country during Vietnam War

Ron Paul: Respected real world experience (served as a flight surgeon in the U.S. Air Force from 1963 to 1968. He worked as an obstetrician-gynecologist from the 1960s to the 1980s, delivering more than 4,000 babies); more education than Clinton, Bush, and Obama (Gettysburg College and the Duke University School of Medicine); so far no adultery charges and a successful marriage, against Iraq War, has guts to say no to his own party if they make bad choices (not a slave to his party), believes races should be treated equally (no affirmative action)
Your political compass

Murkwood
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Murkwood » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:20 am

Freiheit Reich wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:

Compare Clinton, Bush, and Ron Paul. Who seems the more suitable presidential choice? Who is more extreme?

Bush: Patriot Act, 9/11 attacks (possible involvement), Iraq Invasion, prolonged Afghanistan invasion, Sarbanes-Oxley Act (hurts corporations), avoided serving his country in Vietnam War, DUI arrest, possible cocaine use

Bill Clinton-adultery, perjury charges, supported Kosovo terrorists, avoided serving his country during Vietnam War

Ron Paul: Respected real world experience (served as a flight surgeon in the U.S. Air Force from 1963 to 1968. He worked as an obstetrician-gynecologist from the 1960s to the 1980s, delivering more than 4,000 babies); more education than Clinton, Bush, and Obama (Gettysburg College and the Duke University School of Medicine); so far no adultery charges and a successful marriage, against Iraq War, has guts to say no to his own party if they make bad choices (not a slave to his party), believes races should be treated equally (no affirmative action)

I love how you brush over both Bush and Clinton's prior experience.
Degenerate Heart of HetRio wrote:Murkwood, I'm surprised you're not an anti-Semite and don't mind most LGBT rights because boy, aren't you a constellation of the worst opinions to have about everything? o_o

Benuty wrote:I suppose Ken Ham, and the league of Republican-Neocolonialist-Zionist Catholics will not be pleased.

Soldati senza confini wrote:Did I just try to rationalize Murkwood's logic? Please shoot me.

Catholicism has the fullness of the splendor of truth: The Bible and the Church Fathers agree!

Ifreann
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 07, 2005
Iron Fist Socialists

Postby Ifreann » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:20 am

Freiheit Reich wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:

You cannot possibly believe you have made a fair comparison here.
He/Him

beating the devil
we never run from the devil
we never summon the devil
we never hide from from the devil
we never

Magna Libero
Minister

Founded: Jun 13, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Magna Libero » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:20 am

Freiheit Reich wrote:

Voting doesn't work. Hillary vs. Rand is basically like a shitty sweet and a sweet shit or vice versa, but Hillary is bad. So, your advice is basically to vote for an unknown shit?

Hillary would be a bad candidate, a tyrannic dictator like Putin. Obama and Rand Paul are actually decent compared to these, while still being horrible and moderate/centrists. I hope Hillary doesn't get elected. That hawkish bitch will destroy the world. We(=the humanity, the world) don't need people like her.

Indeed

EDIT: but yeah, I think the bitter truth is that the US will have another neo-con like Bush, except that now it's Hillary
Last edited by Magna Libero on Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
hi

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:26 am

Magna Libero wrote:
Freiheit Reich wrote:

Voting doesn't work. Hillary vs. Rand is basically like a shitty sweet and a sweet shit or vice versa, but Hillary is bad. So, your advice is basically to vote for an unknown shit?

Hillary would be a bad candidate, a tyrannic dictator like Putin. Obama and Rand Paul are actually decent compared to these, while still being horrible and moderate/centrists. I hope Hillary doesn't get elected. That hawkish bitch will destroy the world. We(=the humanity, the world) don't need people like her.

Indeed

I don't quite get the idea that politicians we don't like will "destroy the world." Political hyperbole, I suppose, and I suppose I shouldn't be surprised in this day and age. I also don't get why you put "(=the humanity, the world)" in size 1 type. It just makes a blot in the sentence and anyone who cares to can see it by clicking "Quote". If you have something to say, say it.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Magna Libero
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Magna Libero » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:28 am

Ifreann wrote:
Freiheit Reich wrote:

You cannot possibly believe you have made a fair comparison here.

Yeah, the 4000 babies-part means that he should have just stayed out of politics, where he can actually be of benefit, like every other politician. So, there's not really a point here. :meh:

There are some more relevant factors that determine, who will be the next King of the Capitol Hill. :p
hi

Magna Libero
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Magna Libero » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:32 am

Farnhamia wrote:
Magna Libero wrote:Voting doesn't work. Hillary vs. Rand is basically like a shitty sweet and a sweet shit or vice versa, but Hillary is bad. So, your advice is basically to vote for an unknown shit?

Indeed

I don't quite get the idea that politicians we don't like will "destroy the world." Political hyperbole, I suppose, and I suppose I shouldn't be surprised in this day and age. I also don't get why you put "(=the humanity, the world)" in size 1 type. It just makes a blot in the sentence and anyone who cares to can see it by clicking "Quote". If you have something to say, say it.

Bush destroyed the US and the country's international reputation. :( That's why I truly hope that Hillary, who is the more authoritarian interventionist of the two, will not win. I think the US should try to stay away from doorknocking other countries' matters.
hi

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:37 am

Magna Libero wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:I don't quite get the idea that politicians we don't like will "destroy the world." Political hyperbole, I suppose, and I suppose I shouldn't be surprised in this day and age. I also don't get why you put "(=the humanity, the world)" in size 1 type. It just makes a blot in the sentence and anyone who cares to can see it by clicking "Quote". If you have something to say, say it.

Bush destroyed the US and the country's international reputation. :( That's why I truly hope that Hillary, who is the more authoritarian interventionist of the two, will not win. I think the US should try to stay away from doorknocking other countries' matters.

As much as I dislike President Bush, he did not destroy the US. He did damage our international reputation, yes, but President Obama has been trying to remedy that, with fair to middling success.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General