NATION

PASSWORD

Can Rand Paul beat Hillary?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Death Metal
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 22, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Death Metal » Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:52 pm

Icamera wrote:Nope. In terms of presidential elections, America's just getting bluer and bluer.

It really says something about the GOP's relevance when Texas may become a swing state by 2020, if not outright blue.
Only here when I'm VERY VERY VERY bored now.
(Trump is Reagan 2.0: A nationalistic bimbo who will ruin America.)
Death Metal: A nation founded on the most powerful force in the world: METAL! \m/
A non-idealist centre-leftist

Alts: Ronpaulatia, Bisonopolis, Iga, Gygaxia, The Children of Skyrim, Tinfoil Fedoras

Pro: Civil Equality, Scaled Income Taxes, Centralized Govtt, Moderate Business Regulations, Heavy Metal
Con: Censorship in any medium, Sales Tax, Flat Tax, Small Govt, Overly Large Govt, Laissez Faire, AutoTuner.

I support Obama. And so would FA Hayek.

34 arguments Libertarians (and sometimes AnCaps) make, and why they are wrong.

Republic of Coldwater
Senator

Founded: Jul 08, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Republic of Coldwater » Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:16 pm

Death Metal wrote:
Iron Confederation wrote:Also the one who supports legalization of marijuana.

The one that claims to, yet never once worked towards it as governor.

Also, he "balanced" the budget yet still added to spending every year.

Because people don't change opinions throughout the years.

The Genoese Cromanatum
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Genoese Cromanatum » Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:59 pm

An overwhelming amount of people voted for Obama simply because he is black. The same will happen to Hillary, since she's a woman.

Death Metal
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Death Metal » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:09 pm

The Genoese Cromanatum wrote:An overwhelming amount of people voted for Obama simply because he is black.

That's a complete load of bullshit. Explain then how Jesse Jackson didn't get nominated when he ran in the 80s? How he rallied hardest in Wisconsin in the 88 cycle but still lost that state to Micheal "Whiter Than A Hockey Game With A Jimmy Buffet Soundtrack" Dukakis? How he managed to gain only 60% of the support Dukakis did, and only 30 of the overall primary vote?

Surely if your assertion that voters (either Democratic or in general, whichever) would automatically side with the African-American nominee was true, Jackson would have at least had a nomination?
Last edited by Death Metal on Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Death Metal: A nation founded on the most powerful force in the world: METAL! \m/

Alts: Ronpaulatia, Bisonopolis, Iga, Gygaxia, The Children of Skyrim, Tinfoil Fedoras

Pro: Civil Equality, Scaled Income Taxes, Centralized Govtt, Moderate Business Regulations, Heavy Metal
Con: Censorship in any medium, Sales Tax, Flat Tax, Small Govt, Overly Large Govt, Laissez Faire, AutoTuner.

The Scientific States
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 29, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Scientific States » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:20 pm

The Genoese Cromanatum wrote:An overwhelming amount of people voted for Obama simply because he is black. The same will happen to Hillary, since she's a woman.

Do you have any way to back that malarkey up?

I could argue that some racist southern Dixiecrats didn't vote for Obama because he was black, but I know that's a ridiculous argument that's only partly true.
Centrist, Ordoliberal, Bisexual, Agnostic, Pro Social Market Economy, Pro Labour Union, Secular Humanist, Cautious Optimist, Pro LGBT, Pro Marijuana Legalization, Pro Humanitarian Intervention etc etc.
Compass
Economic Left/Right: 0.88
Social Liberal/Authoritarian: -6.62
Political Stuff I Wrote
Why Pinochet and Allende were both terrible
The UKIP: A Bad Choice for Britain
Why South Africa is in a sorry state, and how it can be fixed.
Massive List of My OOC Pros and Cons
Hey, Putin! Leave Ukraine Alone!

The Orson Empire
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 20, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Orson Empire » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:21 pm

The Genoese Cromanatum wrote:An overwhelming amount of people voted for Obama simply because he is black. The same will happen to Hillary, since she's a woman.

What a crock of shit.

Republic of Coldwater
Senator

Founded: Jul 08, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Republic of Coldwater » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:21 pm

The Scientific States wrote:

Do you have any way to back that malarkey up?

I could argue that some racist southern Dixiecrats didn't vote for Obama because he was black, but I know that's a ridiculous argument that's only partly true.

The Dixiecrats ain't around anymore.

Othelos
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Othelos » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:05 pm

What a giant load of bull.

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:17 pm

It doesn't work like that. Explain why McCain's choice of Palin as running mate didn't cause women to vote for him.
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

Logic and Reason
Lobbyist

Founded: Aug 27, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Logic and Reason » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:16 pm

Othelos wrote:

Though I will admit many people voted him in for this reason, it is not the primary condition that won him the presidency. It is crucial to remember these two important factors when talking about Obama's election (the first election, at least),

- Obama had a grandiose amount of support from the mainstream media (and by mainstream, I simply mean the most popular media outlets, like CNN). Before some of you extremists who begin your rant about Fox News being completely against Obama, Fox News is only ONE popular media outlet. I am basically saying AS A WHOLE, most of the mainstream media supported Obama, and presented him (as some still do) as the most valuable candidate for the presidential office.

- Obama had a lot of resources (one of which was just previously mentioned above). He had literally millions upon millions and millions of dollars from countless (seriously, look it up if you can and try to count) sources, some of which were not even from America.

Of course, with this amount of support, it was, actually, quite easy to win the presidency, considering the reputation of George Bush. The second election, however, was a different matter, entirely, but that's for another forum.

Hillary, on the other hand, has a lot of work ahead of her. As far as finances go, she is far from "dead broke" and has been a multi-millionaire almost her entire life. Seeing that she obviously is financially able to fund a presidential campaign, she will most likely try to gain political support through the mainstream media (which shouldn't be that difficult, considering that many people in the media tend to support liberal agendas). Of course, for the observant voter, she will have to explain Bengazi (you knew it was coming, though some of you seem surprised), as well as her involvement with the many scandals that have transpired in the White House since Obama took office.

Like I said, this only applies to the observant voter. She will most likely still win votes among the same group of voters who voted for Obama. If the popular support of the Obama Administration continue to decline in popularity, Hillary may find herself struggling in the coming election.

Although, I wouldn't be surprised if the democrats nominated someone clear out of the blue for the presidency. After all, this was the case with Obama.

Death Metal
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Death Metal » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:51 pm

Logic and Reason wrote:- Obama had a grandiose amount of support from the mainstream media (and by mainstream, I simply mean the most popular media outlets, like CNN). Before some of you extremists who begin your rant about Fox News being completely against Obama, Fox News is only ONE popular media outlet. I am basically saying AS A WHOLE, most of the mainstream media supported Obama, and presented him (as some still do) as the most valuable candidate for the presidential office.
[/quote]

I'm going to stop you there.

No.

You're conflating, incorrectly, that news media channels = mainstream media. This is false.

Secondly, Fox News is just one part of a HUGE media empire, rivaled only by ABC/Disney, which is non-partisan. Every Fox network station airs local news, and guess which party they side with?

Thirdly, let's look at Fox' competition, CNBC and Turner. One has some of the lowest-rated news on their local broadcast networks, and the other doesn't have local stations in most of the country.

So in terms of TV marketshare alone, we have a right-wing plurality.

Now, let's move outside of TV media. Who are the largest print media and e-news companies? The nonpartisan CBS, and NewsCorp. Right-wing plurality there too.

Radio media? Clear Channel, CBS, and NewsCorp dominate. CBS is non-partisan, Clear Channel (a subsidiary of Bain Capital) is heavily right-leaning. So right-wing contol there.

Billboard Advertising? CBS and Clear Channel.

The left-wing bias in mainstream media... is a mainstream media invention.
Last edited by Death Metal on Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ashmoria » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:42 am

Independent State AF wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:wait a minute, who is the worlds supreme superpower if not the US?

Good question, its pretty much a toss up at this point between the US, Russia, and China.

Also, is it so wrong to want ones country to be supreme?

no its not a tossup. we are still #1.

its not terribly wrong to want your country to be the most powerful in the world when it IS the most powerful in the world but its rather silly if your country is #25.
whatever

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Postby Ashmoria » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:47 am

Death Metal wrote:
Iron Confederation wrote:Maybe he can and maybe he can't.

I don't care, I'm rooting for Gary Johnson 2016.

The Gary Johnson who was considered one of the most conservative governors New Mexico has ever had, who gave no-bid, overpiced contracts to build highways and prisons, and increased the size of state government every year while in office?

Not much better than the Rand Paul that, with his father, was strongly active in the dominionist Constitution Party, even being their keynote speaker in a 2009 convention.

ooooo did you see (last night on the Rachel maddow show) that an iowa politician got convicted of taking a bribe from the ron paul campaign in '12? and that the guy who GAVE the bribe is now mitch McConnell's campaign manager? im pretty sure that that guy also worked for rand paul's senate campaign.
whatever

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Postby Ashmoria » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:58 am

an overwhelming amount of people voted for Obama because he isn't W (2008) and because he is a pretty good president (2012).

they will vote for Hillary because she is a democrat. the woman thing is icing on the cake that might bring out an extra number of women to vote in the first female president.
whatever

Spoder
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 15, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Spoder » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:07 am

Ashmoria wrote:

an overwhelming amount of people voted for Obama because he isn't W (2008) and because he is a pretty good president (2012).

they will vote for Hillary because she is a democrat. the woman thing is icing on the cake that might bring out an extra number of women to vote in the first female president.

2012 - I have no fucking idea why people voted for him.
Legalize gay weed
Time to get aesthetic.
I support insanely high tax rates, do you?

Kelinfort
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kelinfort » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:17 am

Yay sexism.

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Postby Ashmoria » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:20 am

Spoder wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:an overwhelming amount of people voted for Obama because he isn't W (2008) and because he is a pretty good president (2012).

2012 - I have no fucking idea why people voted for him.

because no one wants a republican president.
whatever

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:22 am

Kelinfort wrote:

Yay sexism.

And racism, all rolled up into one single-sentence post...
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent...
Freedom from religion is an integral part of Freedom of religion
Married to Koshka
USMC veteran MOS 0331/8152
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Ifreann: Odds are you're secretly a zebra with a very special keyboard.
Ostro: I think women need to be trained
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Postby Ashmoria » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:33 am

Dyakovo wrote:
Kelinfort wrote:Yay sexism.

And racism, all rolled up into one single-sentence post...

you'd think that the republicans would nominate a black woman in order to clinch the whitehouse....
whatever

Murkwood
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Murkwood » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:44 am

Ashmoria wrote:
Spoder wrote:2012 - I have no fucking idea why people voted for him.

because no one wants a republican president.

I'm pretty sure 47% of the country did.

And that'd be 53% today: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201 ... inst-obam/
Degenerate Heart of HetRio wrote:Murkwood, I'm surprised you're not an anti-Semite and don't mind most LGBT rights because boy, aren't you a constellation of the worst opinions to have about everything? o_o

Benuty wrote:I suppose Ken Ham, and the league of Republican-Neocolonialist-Zionist Catholics will not be pleased.

Soldati senza confini wrote:Did I just try to rationalize Murkwood's logic? Please shoot me.

Catholicism has the fullness of the splendor of truth: The Bible and the Church Fathers agree!

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Postby Ashmoria » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:45 am

Murkwood wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:because no one wants a republican president.

the same number that Romney said were incorrigible moochers.

so karmic.
whatever

Kelinfort
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kelinfort » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:46 am

Murkwood wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:because no one wants a republican president.

Just as Kerry would've won in 2006.

Murkwood
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Murkwood » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:56 am

Ashmoria wrote:
Murkwood wrote:I'm pretty sure 47% of the country did.

the same number that Romney said were incorrigible moochers.

so karmic.

So it's not "no one".
Degenerate Heart of HetRio wrote:Murkwood, I'm surprised you're not an anti-Semite and don't mind most LGBT rights because boy, aren't you a constellation of the worst opinions to have about everything? o_o

Benuty wrote:I suppose Ken Ham, and the league of Republican-Neocolonialist-Zionist Catholics will not be pleased.

Soldati senza confini wrote:Did I just try to rationalize Murkwood's logic? Please shoot me.

Catholicism has the fullness of the splendor of truth: The Bible and the Church Fathers agree!

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Postby Ashmoria » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:00 am

Murkwood wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:the same number that Romney said were incorrigible moochers.

so karmic.

So it's not "no one".

*rolls my eyes*

no murk, its not no one.
whatever

Murkwood
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Murkwood » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:02 am

Ashmoria wrote:
Murkwood wrote:So it's not "no one".

*rolls my eyes*

no murk, its not no one.

I get it, it was a hyperbole. Still, you can't minimize 47% of the voting age population who voted.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General