NATION

PASSWORD

The 2014-15 College Football Discussion Thread

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Bythyrona
Minister

Founded: Nov 21, 2011
Ex-Nation

lol OSU fans

Postby Bythyrona » Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:16 am

FederateStatesofAmerica wrote:I'm actually 100% convinced at this point you only hate the CFP because OSU won. Please, OSU was clearly the best team in the country. There's no way you can argue around it. [...] You're upset, I get it. But there's no reason to act like you're this pretentious expert on CFP, when clearly you're not.

Bythyrona wrote:That's probably why I'm in the military instead of scouting in the NFL, then, right? I'm as unprofessional and unpaid as they come, but everything I post is with some conviction that it nears the truth more than vaguaries of ESPN.

lol. It's a repeat of the 2011 Alabama-LSU situation. OSU did not deserve to be in the CFP in the first place.

Ohio State got stomped the fuck out 35-21 by a team that has two wins in the ACC.

One game is NOT A WHOLE SCHEDULE. OHIO STATE STILL GOT DEMOLISHED BY A .500 ACC TEAM. FUCKING FUCK.

TCU's one loss was to a top ten team at Baylor by a field goal (and due in part to awful late game officiating). OSU's one loss was to a 7-6 ACC team by two touchdowns... at the Horseshoe.

There's plenty of doubt in my mind Ohio State deserved to be in the CFP. We encountered a similar situation in 2011 where Alabama lost to LSU in the regular season and did not deserve to be in the BCS title game, but despite my bitching and moaning about blatant SEC bias and how you can't have a team that didn't even win its own DIVISION playing for a national title AND how Bama got rewarded for losing while LSU had to play Georgia for the SEC title... we all still saw LSU shit the bed. (...fuck you, ESPN... I ended up splitting the title between the two teams. Still makes me sick.)

I don't care why the [VTech] loss happened or when the loss happened - it was still, at the end of the day, a two touchdown loss to a middling Virginia Tech team AT HOME.

OSU was not a serious playoff contender until conference championship week. Let's review:

-In an early scare against Navy, OSU was down 7-6 at halftime, and clinging to a field goal lead with 13:54 remaining. The Buckeyes indeed surged late, but this game was easily the first upset alert of the year. OSU also surrendered 370 rushing yards this game.

-Next, we have the aforementioned two touchdown loss at The 'Shoe to a middling-at-best VTech team.

-Fast forward a week past a pasting of Kent State to the Cincinnati game; OSU's defense was again shredded, this time through the air. ("The Buckeyes (3-1), who won their 40th consecutive game over an in-state opponent, totaled 710 yards. But their defense couldn't stop the Bearcats, who had wide-out Chris Moore catch three passes for TDs of 60, 83 and 78 yards. Not until Barrett hit Devin Smith with a 29-yard scoring pass early in the fourth quarter was it clear the Buckeyes would survive. That made it 50-28 and finally eased the anxiety of the huge crowd.")

-OSU then played two games against two teams that don't belong in the Big Ten and proceeded to dominate as they should have. Unfortunately, Penn State refused to let them off the hook, and the Buckeyes escaped by the skin of their teeth in second overtime after their defense again collapsed. Rivalry or not, the Nittany Lions were 7-6 this year as Christian Hackenberg was totally lost in the sauce. This game is easily the biggest non-loss argument against Ohio State's worth.

-Ohio State proceeded to demolish the Illini and ruined the illusion of Michigan State's defensive domination... but unfortunately for the Bucks the week after, however, they almost allowed Minnesota back in the game late with sloppy play, managing to get a one touchdown win. (Admittedly, the Gophers would've needed luck to tie the game up late, but the fact that they were permitted to reduce the lead to a single score doesn't look good.)

-Next, they pulled away late from the very upset-minded Indiana Hoosiers, who led 20-14 midway through the third quarter and were behind by just 28-20 with four minutes left. OSU was favored by 34 points...

-And in the final week of the regular season, the Buckeyes were again forced to pour it on late, this time against a pathetically anemic Michigan squad - the teams were tied at halftime, and the Wolverines were behind just a touchdown at the close of the third quarter.
Days like dominoes, all in a line

Emerge transformed in a million years, from days like these

West Sylvania
Envoy

Founded: Aug 28, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby West Sylvania » Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:22 am

I'm going to use BCS logic here:

COMMON OPPONENTS!

Ohio State bests Oregon and Alabama by virtue of beating them both in head to head competition. Ohh...

It really is that simple. Any other argument is a bunch of hackneyed crap.

Commerce Heights
Minister

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby Commerce Heights » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:04 am

FederateStatesofAmerica wrote:
Commerce Heights wrote:
Seriously, though, I didn’t feel like Ohio State giving up the ball four times and Oregon scoring only ten points from those made either team look particularly good. The more I think about it, the more I have to conclude that no matter how impressive it sounds that Ohio State beat Alabama and Oregon, TCU performed better overall.

I hope the Buckeyes don’t go parading those shirts around North Texas. :P

Wow, let's ignore the fact that TCU also had numerous turnovers in their win over Ole Miss. :roll:

Let’s not ignore that. TCU gave away the ball twice in the first quarter of the Peach Bowl, sure. The interception of a deep pass in the second quarter was as good as a punt, and the one in the fourth quarter was after the game was beyond doubt. But yes, TCU did get a little sloppy against a so-so Ole Miss team that couldn’t make them pay for it. That’s not comparable to Ohio State giving four clear gifts in a close game against what was supposedly the #2 team with a high-scoring offense led by a Heisman Trophy–winning quarterback. That Oregon didn’t convert on those chances tells me that the Ducks were not as good as advertised, and that Ohio State didn’t need to be a great team to beat them.

I won’t go into the analysis of Ohio State’s and TCU’s records right now (maybe tomorrow), but obviously Alabama and Oregon aren’t the #1 and #2 teams, so Ohio State’s bowl wins need to be evaluated in light of how good those teams have actually proven to be.

FederateStatesofAmerica wrote:I think it's pretty clear you're all a bit mad that OSU won.

I’m a fan of a Big Ten team. I wanted Ohio State to win the CFP. But I think there’s still significant doubt over whether Ohio State is better than TCU, which disproves the overreaching advertising claims of the CFP and highlights the continued need for other selecting organizations to name their own national champions.

West Sylvania wrote:I'm going to use BCS logic here:

COMMON OPPONENTS!

Ohio State bests Oregon and Alabama by virtue of beating them both in head to head competition. Ohh...

What’s that got to do with the price of wheat in Fort Worth?

Torisakia
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 04, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Torisakia » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:32 am

Oregon, I am disappoint. At least now I can rightfully say that Oregon is overrated.

So now that Urban Meyer has been declared better than The Bear, any thoughts on how long he'll stick with Ohio State? He could probably win one or two more titles with them, although I don't think it will be in the next few years.
You ever woke up one morning and just decided it wasn't one of those days and you were gonna break some stuff?
President: Doug McDowell
Population: 227 million
Tech: MT-PMT
I don't use most NS stats
Ideology: Democracy Manifest
Pro: truth
Anti: bullshit

Latest Headlines
[TNN] A cargo ship belonging to Torisakia disappeared off the coast of Kostane late Wednesday evening. TBI suspects foul play. || Congress passes a T$10 billion aid package for the Democratic Populist rebels in Kostane. To include firearms, vehicles, and artillery.

Costa Aluria
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Aluria » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:17 am

Oregon was rated at #2, which is where they finished the season. I would say that is not overrated at all. Alabama, on the the other hand....

Torisakia
Post Marshal

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Torisakia » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:31 am

Costa Aluria wrote:Oregon was rated at #2, which is where they finished the season. I would say that is not overrated at all. Alabama, on the the other hand....

Except when Alabama plays for a national championship they actually win. :roll:
You ever woke up one morning and just decided it wasn't one of those days and you were gonna break some stuff?

Latest Headlines
[TNN] A cargo ship belonging to Torisakia disappeared off the coast of Kostane late Wednesday evening. TBI suspects foul play. || Congress passes a T$10 billion aid package for the Democratic Populist rebels in Kostane. To include firearms, vehicles, and artillery.

Costa Aluria
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Aluria » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:09 pm

Yep. This year is proof. :roll

Pope Joan
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Pope Joan » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:12 pm

West Sylvania wrote:I'm going to use BCS logic here:

COMMON OPPONENTS!

Penn State took Ohio State to overtime.
"Life is difficult".

-M. Scott Peck

Torisakia
Post Marshal

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Torisakia » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:22 pm

Latest Headlines

Bythyrona
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Bythyrona » Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:00 pm

Nay. You don't get to cover up child molestation and still retain your legacy. Thanks for fucking up one of the only things you've done right in the past few years, NCAA. Fuck the Penn State truthers.

Tiami
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 24, 2010
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tiami » Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:06 pm

Bythyrona wrote:

Nay. You don't get to cover up child molestation and still retain your legacy. Thanks for fucking up one of the only things you've done right in the past few years, NCAA. Fuck the Penn State truthers.

I think my sister might take offense to that. Calm bro. :P

On a more serious note, I see little reason to revoke a coaches total wins. What's the point to it? They wouldn't have to reinstate wins then...
Founder of TETism and on/off 18-year NS vet. Call me Chris.
|| All things II RP-related || Discord: nstiami || FN&I General Help ||
|| IIWiki || ANI News || Military Worldbuilding || RPing Questions? Ask Here! ||
|| Maltropia + Tiami 4ever <3 || The Best Quote ||

Torisakia
Post Marshal

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Torisakia » Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:46 pm

Tiami wrote:
Bythyrona wrote:Nay. You don't get to cover up child molestation and still retain your legacy. Thanks for fucking up one of the only things you've done right in the past few years, NCAA. Fuck the Penn State truthers.

I think my sister might take offense to that. Calm bro. :P

On a more serious note, I see little reason to revoke a coaches total wins. What's the point to it? They wouldn't have to reinstate wins then...

It also doesn't change that the team still showed up and won. That's like changing history texbooks to say that Japan nullfies the Pearl Harbor attack. Doesn't change that it happened.

Latest Headlines

Bythyrona
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Bythyrona » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:07 pm

Torisakia wrote:
Tiami wrote:I think my sister might take offense to that. Calm bro. :P

It also doesn't change that the team still showed up and won. That's like changing history texbooks to say that Japan nullfies the Pearl Harbor attack. Doesn't change that it happened.

If a child molestation scandal had exploded in the media when Sandusky's crimes became evident to Mike McQueary back in 2001, Penn State would have been done competing for anything - Penn State's fortunes were taking a drastic turn for the worst at the time, finishing 5-7 in 2000, 5-6 in 2001, 9-4 in 2002 (thanks to Larry Johnson), 3-9 in 2003, and 4-7 in 2004. It was a certain competitive advantage - Penn State was only able to start winning again in '05 because they did not confess the actions of a child rapist. This was the last evidence that any punishment for the worst crimes in the NCAA had ever occurred.

I'll let Olbermann take it away. "This could be discussed for hours, but there are only two things that are to my mind essential points right now - the naivete which still much exists in the minds of [the] NCAA, and Penn State, and defenders of Joe Paterno, as if this decision - or anything else - will ever lessen the guilt the university and Paterno share, or ever reduce the disgust which the names 'Penn State football' and 'Joe Paterno' will produce for decades to come. This is Joe Paterno's legacy, this is Penn State's legacy: football was more important to them than saving children. And the second point - it is hard to believe that the NCAA and the school could take the most nauseating, the most horrifying, the most indefensible institutionalization of corruption in American sports, the Jerry Sandusky scandal, and make it worse, but today they just did."

Torisakia
Post Marshal

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Torisakia » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:04 pm

Bythyrona wrote:
Torisakia wrote:It also doesn't change that the team still showed up and won. That's like changing history texbooks to say that Japan nullfies the Pearl Harbor attack. Doesn't change that it happened.

If a child molestation scandal had exploded in the media when Sandusky's crimes became evident to Mike McQueary back in 2001, Penn State would have been done competing for anything - Penn State's fortunes were taking a drastic turn for the worst at the time, finishing 5-7 in 2000, 5-6 in 2001, 9-4 in 2002 (thanks to Larry Johnson), 3-9 in 2003, and 4-7 in 2004. It was a certain competitive advantage - Penn State was only able to start winning again in '05 because they did not confess the actions of a child rapist. This was the last evidence that any punishment for the worst crimes in the NCAA had ever occurred.

I'll let Olbermann take it away. "This could be discussed for hours, but there are only two things that are to my mind essential points right now - the naivete which still much exists in the minds of [the] NCAA, and Penn State, and defenders of Joe Paterno, as if this decision - or anything else - will ever lessen the guilt the university and Paterno share, or ever reduce the disgust which the names 'Penn State football' and 'Joe Paterno' will produce for decades to come. This is Joe Paterno's legacy, this is Penn State's legacy: football was more important to them than saving children. And the second point - it is hard to believe that the NCAA and the school could take the most nauseating, the most horrifying, the most indefensible institutionalization of corruption in American sports, the Jerry Sandusky scandal, and make it worse, but today they just did."

Apparently molesting children isn't as blasphemous as students getting free texbooks. *shrugs*

Latest Headlines

The greater Vakolicci Haven
Senator

Founded: Dec 29, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The greater Vakolicci Haven » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:00 pm

Does anyone know if their's some sort of audio pass for college football radio?
RIP Vakolic, 08/08/2009-29/12/2013, unjustly deleted.
Population: 9.6 billion (to be added to current population of this nation)
Last known defence budget: 82.2 trillion
Last known gdp: $423.2 trillion (nstracker)
For other stats, please tg.
the greater Vakolicci Haven
Can be found in:
sondria
greysteel
varathron
tyrrhenia

Bythyrona
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Bythyrona » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:53 pm

Most colleges, as far as I'm aware, are carried by a local radio station at the very least. (I know, for example, that the Vols are carried by 107.7 WIVK.) The trick I suppose would be to find out whether or not said radio station streams online.

Even 89.1 WEMU hosts radio coverage of Eastern Michigan games and the station has online streaming available, so it's hard for me to imagine in this day and age that there would be a single FBS school whose games you couldn't listen to.
Last edited by Bythyrona on Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Torisakia
Post Marshal

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Torisakia » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:06 am

Lane Kiffin front-runner to be San Francisco 49ers' OC.

Prayer circle for hopes that he's hired and leaves.

Latest Headlines

Bythyrona
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Bythyrona » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:41 am

Holy shit. I didn't know the '00's 49ers were back in fashion. They bringing back the ugly uniforms as well to compliment their worst-ever coaching staff?

EDIT: HOLY SHIT LOL. This really is the worst coaching staff ever. A no-name head coach, Tony Sparano, Eric Mangini, and Lane Kiffin as a candidate for OC? Don't surprised if the 49ers finish 5-11 or worse.
Last edited by Bythyrona on Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Torisakia
Post Marshal

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Torisakia » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:19 pm

Bythyrona wrote:Holy shit. I didn't know the '00's 49ers were back in fashion. They bringing back the ugly uniforms as well to compliment their worst-ever coaching staff?

EDIT: HOLY SHIT LOL. This really is the worst coaching staff ever. A no-name head coach, Tony Sparano, Eric Mangini, and Lane Kiffin as a candidate for OC? Don't surprised if the 49ers finish 5-11 or worse.

Plot Twist: They win the Superbowl. :p

EDIT: Lane Kiffin returning to Alabama for 2nd season.

God fucking dammit.
Last edited by Torisakia on Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Latest Headlines

Bythyrona
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Bythyrona » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:26 pm

http://247sports.com/Season/2015-Footba ... amRankings

So, Tennessee has the #4 recruiting class overall, behind only Bama, USC, and FSU... and Mike Bajakian is gone (as only the Tampa Bay Bucs would be dumb enough to hire him to coach quarterbacks, of all things). I think I love you, Butch Jones.

Torisakia
Post Marshal

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Torisakia » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:33 pm

Bythyrona wrote:http://247sports.com/Season/2015-Football/CompositeTeamRankings

So, Tennessee has the #4 recruiting class overall, behind only Bama, USC, and FSU... and Mike Bajakian is gone (as only the Tampa Bay Bucs would be dumb enough to hire him to coach quarterbacks, of all things). I think I love you, Butch Jones.

(Image)

Tennessee's always had a high recruiting class. Have they not?

Latest Headlines

Bythyrona
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Bythyrona » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:04 pm

Torisakia wrote:
Bythyrona wrote:http://247sports.com/Season/2015-Football/CompositeTeamRankings

(Image)

Tennessee's always had a high recruiting class. Have they not?

This our highest recruiting class since 2007, when we were #3 in recruiting. We dropped way, way off during the Dooley years - 9th, 14th, and 20th? Ahahahaha, no. Those classes were absolutely overrated even at that time. We were also 26th in 2006 and 34th in 2008.

Torisakia
Post Marshal

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Torisakia » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:11 pm

Bythyrona wrote:
Torisakia wrote:Tennessee's always had a high recruiting class. Have they not?

This our highest recruiting class since 2007, when we were #3 in recruiting. We dropped way, way off during the Dooley years - 9th, 14th, and 20th? Ahahahaha, no. Those classes were absolutely overrated even at that time. We were also 26th in 2006 and 34th in 2008.

Huh. Could've sworn I've seen them in the Top 10 in the past few years. Must've been another SEC East team.

Latest Headlines

Bythyrona
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Bythyrona » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:23 pm

Torisakia wrote:
Bythyrona wrote:This our highest recruiting class since 2007, when we were #3 in recruiting. We dropped way, way off during the Dooley years - 9th, 14th, and 20th? Ahahahaha, no. Those classes were absolutely overrated even at that time. We were also 26th in 2006 and 34th in 2008.

Huh. Could've sworn I've seen them in the Top 10 in the past few years. Must've been another SEC East team.

7th in 2014 and 8th in 2009, but that's about it.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/ ... /22863871/

Traxa
Diplomat

Founded: May 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Traxa » Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:57 pm

Bythyrona wrote:

Who cares? Beyond Penn State kool-aid drinkers, who are the same level of loony as Scientologists the ONLY thing JoPa and PSU football will be known for for generations to come is "Hey thats that old guy that covered up children getting buggered by one of his buddies in the shower" and "Hey that's the football team that covered up children being raped in their locker rooms"

JoPa for that matter will never be mentioned without the scandal following his name, and rightfully so.
Last edited by Traxa on Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Join Anterra actively looking for new members
Apply on our Forums
Our IRC Channel, stop by and say hello.
Boys have a Penis...Girls have a Vagina.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General