NATION

PASSWORD

The 2014-15 College Football Discussion Thread

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Torisakia
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 04, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Torisakia » Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:13 pm

You ever woke up one morning and just decided it wasn't one of those days and you were gonna break some stuff?
President: Doug McDowell
Population: 227 million
Tech: MT-PMT
I don't use most NS stats
Ideology: Democracy Manifest
Pro: truth
Anti: bullshit

Latest Headlines
[TNN] A cargo ship belonging to Torisakia disappeared off the coast of Kostane late Wednesday evening. TBI suspects foul play. || Congress passes a T$10 billion aid package for the Democratic Populist rebels in Kostane. To include firearms, vehicles, and artillery.

Bythyrona
Minister

Founded: Nov 21, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Bythyrona » Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:27 pm

Torisakia wrote:
Bythyrona wrote:Keep Lane Kiffin, kthx :)

Like I said, three terrible games per year.

I thought you said Tennessee would take Lane Kiffin back. :p

He would've been better than that utterly fatalistic 113th-ranked offense we had. No one saw Joshua "I Singlehandedly Lost the 2013 Vandy Game Robbing the Vols of a Bowl" Dobbs pulling off what he did against Spurrier. Worley would actually thrive with Kiffin, but the power spread is far better suited to someone like Dobbs, fortunately for this fucking awful o-line and their complete inability to pass block.

The Serbian Empire wrote:
Bythyrona wrote:Also, Northern Iowa shattered NDSU's streak today, so there's that.

Does this mean Northern Iowa gets a vote or two in the AP polls?

It means North Dakota just lost its most relevant thing since... Phil Jackson?... I'm drawing a blank here.
Last edited by Bythyrona on Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Days like dominoes, all in a line

Emerge transformed in a million years, from days like these

Bythyrona
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Bythyrona » Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:35 pm

The "Worst Snap in College Football History/lolkiffin" Top 25 - Week 11

1. Mississippi State (9-0)
2. Florida State (9-0)
3. Alabama (8-1)
4. TCU (8-1)
5. Oregon (9-1)
6. Baylor (8-1)
7. Arizona State (8-1)
8. Nebraska (8-1)
9. Auburn (7-2)
10. Ole Miss (8-2)
11. Ohio State (8-1)
12. Kansas State (7-2)
13. Michigan State (7-2)
14. Duke (8-1)
15. Clemson (7-2)
16. Wisconsin (7-2)
17. Notre Dame (7-2)
18. Georgia (7-2)
19. Marshall (9-0)
20. Missouri (7-2)
21. Georgia Tech (8-2)
22. Arizona (7-2)
23. Minnesota (7-2)
24. LSU (7-3)
25. Oklahoma (6-3)
---
IN: Minnesota
OUT: Utah
---
The Best of the Rest: #26 USC, #27 Texas A&M, #28 East Carolina, #29 Colorado State, #30 Utah, #31 UCLA, #32 Louisville, #33 Maryland, #34 Miami, #35 Florida, #36 Air Force, #37 Georgia Southern, #38 Stanford, #39 West Virginia, #40t Boise State, #40t Iowa, #40t Memphis, #40t Northern Illinois

Torisakia
Post Marshal

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Torisakia » Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:48 pm

Alabama
-Beats ranked team on the road.
-Drops

Hell, Alabama could beat Mississippi State and still not crack the Top 4.

Guess they aren't going to be contending for a national title for a while.
You ever woke up one morning and just decided it wasn't one of those days and you were gonna break some stuff?

Latest Headlines
[TNN] A cargo ship belonging to Torisakia disappeared off the coast of Kostane late Wednesday evening. TBI suspects foul play. || Congress passes a T$10 billion aid package for the Democratic Populist rebels in Kostane. To include firearms, vehicles, and artillery.

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:52 pm

Hey look... it's Georgia Southern in the rankings as 37th.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Level 12 Myrmidon, Level ⑨ Tsundere, Level ✿ Hold My Flower
Bad Idea Purveyor
8 Values: https://8values.github.io/results.html?e=56.1&d=70.2&g=86.5&s=91.9
Political Compass: Economic -10.00 Authoritarian: -9.13
TG for Facebook if you want to friend me
Marissa, Goddess of Stratospheric Reach
preferred pronouns: Female ones
Primarily lesbian, but pansexual in nature

Tiami
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 24, 2010
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tiami » Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:14 pm

Torisakia wrote:Alabama
-Drops

If Alabama beats Miss St. (in Tuscaloosa, where 'Bama is very good), they'll vault for sure. If Texas A&M can beat Auburn (Alabama crushed TAMU 59-0), then Alabama has a good shot at contending.
Last edited by Tiami on Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Founder of TETism and on/off 18-year NS vet. Call me Chris.
|| All things II RP-related || Discord: nstiami || FN&I General Help ||
|| IIWiki || ANI News || Military Worldbuilding || RPing Questions? Ask Here! ||
|| Maltropia + Tiami 4ever <3 || The Best Quote ||

Bythyrona
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Bythyrona » Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:49 pm

The Serbian Empire wrote:Hey look... it's Georgia Southern in the rankings as 37th.

For what it's worth, I have them ranked lower than the AP Poll does, whether you consider that good or bad. :p

This article also makes an excellent point that the polls are useless: http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-footba ... ked-top-25

It's why I do my own. Yes, Georgia Southern "hasn't played anyone worth a damn", but their two losses to major conference teams were by a combined five points.
Last edited by Bythyrona on Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:59 pm

Bythyrona wrote:
The Serbian Empire wrote:Hey look... it's Georgia Southern in the rankings as 37th.

For what it's worth, I have them ranked lower than the AP Poll, whether you consider that good or bad. :p

This article also makes an excellent point that the polls are useless: http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-footba ... ked-top-25

I wonder if he voted for Marshall and Georgia Southern just to keep Michigan State out of the top 25?
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Bad Idea Purveyor

Torisakia
Post Marshal

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Torisakia » Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:13 pm

Tiami wrote:
-Drops

If Alabama beats Miss St. (in Tuscaloosa, where 'Bama is very good), they'll vault for sure. If Texas A&M can beat Auburn (Alabama crushed TAMU 59-0), then Alabama has a good shot at contending.

I'm pretty certain that, regardless if they win out, they'll just keep having other teams jump them to keep them out.

Case and point: The CFPC doesn't want Alabama to contend for another title.

Latest Headlines

Commerce Heights
Minister

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby Commerce Heights » Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:20 pm

Torisakia wrote:
Tiami wrote:If Alabama beats Miss St. (in Tuscaloosa, where 'Bama is very good), they'll vault for sure. If Texas A&M can beat Auburn (Alabama crushed TAMU 59-0), then Alabama has a good shot at contending.

I'm pretty certain that, regardless if they win out, they'll just keep having other teams jump them to keep them out.

They haven’t even started to consider how many SEC teams they can cram into their bowl games. They’re too busy conspiring against Marshall. :P

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:44 pm

Commerce Heights wrote:
Torisakia wrote:I'm pretty certain that, regardless if they win out, they'll just keep having other teams jump them to keep them out.

They haven’t even started to consider how many SEC teams they can cram into their bowl games. They’re too busy conspiring against Marshall. :P

They'd rather shove West Virginia than to put Marshall in there.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Bad Idea Purveyor

The Ancient World
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 16, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Ancient World » Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:50 pm

Hmph. Everyone's pointing at TCU's stength of schedule as the reason they are over Baylor. I will point out that TCU's best confrence win, Minnesota, lost to Illinois and has yet to play Ohio State, Nebraska, and Wisconsin. Plus TCU's other nonconfrence games were FCS Samford and winless SMU.
"Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it."
-George Santayana
Current RP: This Day In Icarus
Join Icarus today!
The Best RP Ever.

Costa Aluria
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Aluria » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:14 pm

-Drops

Now I admit that it has been a long time since I took a math class, but if I recall correctly, the reflexive property of math says that 5=5. They were 5 last week, and they are 5 this week. So obviously either I am, or consequently you are, missing something.

Bythyrona
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Bythyrona » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:33 pm

The Ancient World wrote:Hmph. Everyone's pointing at TCU's stength of schedule as the reason they are over Baylor. I will point out that TCU's best confrence win, Minnesota, lost to Illinois and has yet to play Ohio State, Nebraska, and Wisconsin. Plus TCU's other nonconfrence games were FCS Samford and winless SMU.

lolwut. If you're going to argue that Baylor>TCU by way of non-conference opponents (?), Baylor hasn't played a non-con opponent worth a shit, while TCU opponent Minnesota is 7-2. Baylor's NC sked: FCS Northwestern State, Buffalo, and WINLESS SMU. Hell, TCU beat SMU by two more touchdowns than Baylor beat them, and Baylor loves to run up the score.

TCU: 8-1.
Losses: three points at Baylor.
Wins: whipped 7-2 Minnesota by 23 points, beat Oklahoma, and won by three touchdowns over a Top-10 Kansas State team.
A three-point loss is better than a fourteen-point loss, and a loss to a top-ten opponent arguably due to officiating* is certainly better than a loss to a team that was and is unranked. TCU beat the team that beat Baylor, too.
Proposition: sometimes the better team loses. See: 1998, Temple @ Virginia Tech.

TCU > Baylor. Not even close. Not remotely close. Not in the ballpark of being close.

*=If that was pass interference on TCU, what about Baylor getting away with a lot more contact when they were on defense the previous series?
Last edited by Bythyrona on Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Bythyrona
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Bythyrona » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:50 pm

Commerce Heights wrote:
Torisakia wrote:I'm pretty certain that, regardless if they win out, they'll just keep having other teams jump them to keep them out.

5-7 Tennessee for the Birmingham Bowl against 13-0 Marshall, you say? ONE DOLLAR FRONT ROW TICKETS, YOU SAY?

...YES PLEASE.

The Ancient World
Chargé d'Affaires

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Ancient World » Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:37 am

Bythyrona wrote:
The Ancient World wrote:Hmph. Everyone's pointing at TCU's stength of schedule as the reason they are over Baylor. I will point out that TCU's best confrence win, Minnesota, lost to Illinois and has yet to play Ohio State, Nebraska, and Wisconsin. Plus TCU's other nonconfrence games were FCS Samford and winless SMU.

lolwut. If you're going to argue that Baylor>TCU by way of non-conference opponents (?), Baylor hasn't played a non-con opponent worth a shit, while TCU opponent Minnesota is 7-2. Baylor's NC sked: FCS Northwestern State, Buffalo, and WINLESS SMU. Hell, TCU beat SMU by two more touchdowns than Baylor beat them, and Baylor loves to run up the score.

Wins: whipped 7-2 Minnesota by 23 points, beat Oklahoma, and won by three touchdowns over a Top-10 Kansas State team.
A three-point loss is better than a fourteen-point loss, and a loss to a top-ten opponent arguably due to officiating* is certainly better than a loss to a team that was and is unranked. TCU beat the team that beat Baylor, too.
Proposition: sometimes the better team loses. See: 1998, Temple @ Virginia Tech.

TCU > Baylor. Not even close. Not remotely close. Not in the ballpark of being close.

*=If that was pass interference on TCU, what about Baylor getting away with a lot more contact when they were on defense the previous series?

That's not entirely true. Minnesota has not beaten a Top 25 team, and their best win is Iowa. The only way you can justify the Minnesota win is after they play Ohio State, Nebraska, and Wisconsin. Then we'll see how good they really are.

Besides, the problem with judging teams on their nonconfrence schedules is that they are set so far in advance of the season.

Anyway, If both Baylor and TCU go 11-1, Baylor should get the nod, because head-to-head should trump everything else. If TCU was that good, they wouldn't have blown a 58-37 lead and given up over 700 total yards and 40 first downs. I will admit that it was PI on that 4th down play, but, again, if TCU was as good as you are saying they are, they wouldn't have let the game be tied. Or give up 500+ yards passing. Or lose.

So, TCU probably will be ranked ahead of Baylor for the rest of the season, but it will be interesting to see if (TCU's practically a guarantee, and Baylor has yet to play K-State) both go 11-1 and what the committee does then.
Last edited by The Ancient World on Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
-George Santayana
Join Icarus today!
The Best RP Ever.

Bythyrona
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Bythyrona » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:58 pm

The Ancient World wrote:
Bythyrona wrote:lolwut. If you're going to argue that Baylor>TCU by way of non-conference opponents (?), Baylor hasn't played a non-con opponent worth a shit, while TCU opponent Minnesota is 7-2. Baylor's NC sked: FCS Northwestern State, Buffalo, and WINLESS SMU. Hell, TCU beat SMU by two more touchdowns than Baylor beat them, and Baylor loves to run up the score.

That's not entirely true. Minnesota has not beaten a Top 25 team, and their best win is Iowa. The only way you can justify the Minnesota win is after they play Ohio State, Nebraska, and Wisconsin. Then we'll see how good they really are.

Besides, the problem with judging teams on their nonconfrence schedules is that they are set so far in advance of the season.

Anyway, If both Baylor and TCU go 11-1, Baylor should get the nod, because head-to-head should trump everything else. If TCU was that good, they wouldn't have blown a 58-37 lead and given up over 700 total yards and 40 first downs. I will admit that it was PI on that 4th down play, but, again, if TCU was as good as you are saying they are, they wouldn't have let the game be tied. Or give up 500+ yards passing. Or lose.

So, TCU probably will be ranked ahead of Baylor for the rest of the season, but it will be interesting to see if (TCU's practically a guarantee, and Baylor has yet to play K-State) both go 11-1 and what the committee does then.

Ok, I'm still doing a lolwut here.

The non-conference argument was yours. It's a fundamentally bad argument in this scenario and I would never have used it to support Baylor because every single indication from NC sked points to TCU. Baylor's straight NC opponent record: 9-19 (4-14 FBS). TCU's straight NC opponent record: 13-13 (7-10 FBS). Samford, 6-3 FCS > Northwestern St., 5-5 FCS. W vs. SMU 56-0 > W vs. SMU 42-0. Minnesota, 7-2 > Buffalo 4-6. TCU actually played a power conference team (one with two losses), instead of using that third non-con slot for a sub-.500 MAC team. They are both piss-poor NC skeds without a doubt, but the massive chasm is a 7-2 Big Ten team. It just doesn't matter whether or not Minnesota has played out the entirety of its schedule or not; right now, we know that they're 7-2, and even supposing that they lose four straight, Minnesota is still a stronger opponent than Buffalo is.

Head-to-head does not trump everything else. If that's so, then 1998 Temple (2-9) was a better team than 1998 Virginia Tech (9-3)? It's a specious argument at best, especially when TCU lost due to officiating. This argument goes in reverse as well: if Baylor was that good, they wouldn't have given up 58 points, had to catch up by three touchdowns, relied on officiating to win the game, or lost to unranked West Virginia by two touchdowns.

TCU > Baylor.

The Ancient World
Chargé d'Affaires

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Ancient World » Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:24 pm

Bythyrona wrote:
The Ancient World wrote:That's not entirely true. Minnesota has not beaten a Top 25 team, and their best win is Iowa. The only way you can justify the Minnesota win is after they play Ohio State, Nebraska, and Wisconsin. Then we'll see how good they really are.

Ok, I'm still doing a lolwut here.

The non-conference argument was yours. It's a fundamentally bad argument in this scenario and I would never have used it to support Baylor because every single indication from NC sked points to TCU. Baylor's straight NC opponent record: 9-19 (4-14 FBS). TCU's straight NC opponent record: 13-13 (7-10 FBS). Samford, 6-3 FCS > Northwestern St., 5-5 FCS. W vs. SMU 56-0 > W vs. SMU 42-0. Minnesota, 7-2 > Buffalo 4-6. TCU actually played a power conference team (one with two losses), instead of using that third non-con slot for a sub-.500 MAC team. They are both piss-poor NC skeds without a doubt, but the massive chasm is a 7-2 Big Ten team. It just doesn't matter whether or not Minnesota has played out the entirety of its schedule or not; right now, we know that they're 7-2, and even supposing that they lose four straight, Minnesota is still a stronger opponent than Buffalo is.

Head-to-head does not trump everything else. If that's so, then 1998 Temple (2-9) was a better team than 1998 Virginia Tech (9-3)? It's a specious argument at best, especially when TCU lost due to officiating. This argument goes in reverse as well: if Baylor was that good, they wouldn't have given up 58 points, had to catch up by three touchdowns, relied on officiating to win the game, or lost to unranked West Virginia by two touchdowns.

TCU > Baylor.

If TCU>Baylor then TCU would have beaten Baylor and wouldn't have needed officiating to win the game.
-George Santayana
Join Icarus today!
The Best RP Ever.

Torisakia
Post Marshal

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Torisakia » Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:14 pm

Costa Aluria wrote:
-Drops

Now I admit that it has been a long time since I took a math class, but if I recall correctly, the reflexive property of math says that 5=5. They were 5 last week, and they are 5 this week. So obviously either I am, or consequently you are, missing something.

Either way they aren't in for another title run.

And why are people saying I'm wrong for saying the Alabama isn't going to compete for a national title? Isn't that what people want?

Latest Headlines

Tiami
Post Marshal

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tiami » Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:13 pm

Torisakia wrote:
Costa Aluria wrote:

Either way they aren't in for another title run.

And why are people saying I'm wrong for saying the Alabama isn't going to compete for a national title? Isn't that what people want?

Alabama will likely be Miss St (and are even favored, especially in Tuscaloosa), so if Alabama beats Auburn as well, they will compete for a shot at the national title.
|| IIWiki || ANI News || Military Worldbuilding || RPing Questions? Ask Here! ||

Bythyrona
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Bythyrona » Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:19 pm

The Ancient World wrote:If TCU>Baylor then TCU would have beaten Baylor and wouldn't have needed officiating to win the game.

TCU > Baylor.

One team lost to a Top Ten team due to officiating, the other lost to an unranked opponent by two touchdowns. I refuse to belabor that point any longer.

Torisakia
Post Marshal

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Torisakia » Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:04 pm

Tiami wrote:
Torisakia wrote:Either way they aren't in for another title run.

Alabama will likely be Miss St (and are even favored, especially in Tuscaloosa), so if Alabama beats Auburn as well, they will compete for a shot at the national title.

But they still would have to play another team in a neutral site, which is basically an automatic loss.

Latest Headlines

Tiami
Post Marshal

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tiami » Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:06 pm

Torisakia wrote:
Tiami wrote:Alabama will likely be Miss St (and are even favored, especially in Tuscaloosa), so if Alabama beats Auburn as well, they will compete for a shot at the national title.

But they still would have to play another team in a neutral site, which is basically an automatic loss.

They beat Georgia the SEC Championship game in the Georgia Dome, a neutral site… they beat Notre Dame in the FBS Championship at a neutral site (Miami), as did they with LSU (Superdome). :|
Last edited by Tiami on Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Torisakia
Post Marshal

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Torisakia » Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:11 pm

Tiami wrote:
Torisakia wrote:But they still would have to play another team in a neutral site, which is basically an automatic loss.

They beat Georgia the SEC Championship game in the Georgia Dome, a neutral site… they beat Notre Dame in the FBS Championship at a neutral site (Miami), as did they with LSU (Superdome). :|

Seeing as how they've played away from home this year, that's going to change if they make it.

Latest Headlines

Tiami
Post Marshal

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tiami » Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:34 pm

Torisakia wrote:
Tiami wrote:They beat Georgia the SEC Championship game in the Georgia Dome, a neutral site… they beat Notre Dame in the FBS Championship at a neutral site (Miami), as did they with LSU (Superdome). :|

Seeing as how they've played away from home this year, that's going to change if they make it.

They beat Texas in Pasadena for the 2010 BCS championship..

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General