NATION

PASSWORD

Your Opinion of Political Correctness

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Lone Alliance
Powerbroker

Founded: May 25, 2005
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Lone Alliance » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:36 pm

My issue with it is that it's putting wallpaper over a hole in a wall and calling it fixed.

The attitudes behind the bigotry still exist, it's just silenced in the name of polite society. The problem is, how do you solve something like that? There will always be division among people.

Also to inject with the illegal discussion, "Illegals" is a dehumanizing term but it is not a term limited to a specific race.

Saying it only refers to Latinos is holding an US Centric view where in fact in other countries it has been used as an insult towards Illegals of pretty much every race.
Last edited by The Lone Alliance on Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger." -Herman Goering
--------------
War is cruelty, and you cannot refine it; -William Tecumseh Sherman

Fanosolia
Senator

Founded: Apr 29, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Fanosolia » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:57 pm

Soldati senza confini wrote:
Fanosolia wrote:
Can I get a high five? *hold hand out*

I couldn't agree more, and it can really get some conversation in the class room going. Though I do ask why you use the term liberal arts? is that because it goes against tradition or more of a freedom thing?

it is a hard endeavor to achieve, but this is something the human race needs.

*high fives your extended hand* :p

Well, Liberal Arts is how they are called nowadays:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberal_arts_education

Another term for them is the Arts and Humanities. Basically the meaning behind it is that it helps you become a better person. It is deemed as what every person should know to be able to participate in civic life. Nowadays it is more commonly used for any degree that doesn't fall in the professional, vocational, or technical degrees like Business, Chemistry, Biology, and so on or even vocational studies like Plumbing and Welding.

nice X3

Well I definently fall into the old meaning. (I've been writing abit more than I used too). the funny thing is just before I saw this comment I watch a video by john green the explained it to me XD its very awesome

it was just that i read at the back of a book that was criticizing "liberal" institutions so I was just wondering if it was similar... clearly not XD
This user is a Canadian who identifies as Social Market Liberal with shades of Civil Libertarianism.

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Founded: Mar 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:09 pm

The Lone Alliance wrote:My issue with it is that it's putting wallpaper over a hole in a wall and calling it fixed.

The attitudes behind the bigotry still exist, it's just silenced in the name of polite society. The problem is, how do you solve something like that? There will always be division among people.

Also to inject with the illegal discussion, "Illegals" is a dehumanizing term but it is not a term limited to a specific race.

Saying it only refers to Latinos is holding an US Centric view where in fact in other countries it has been used as an insult towards Illegals of pretty much every race.

wut... I don't even....

How can you both disapprove and use the same term in the same post.... :meh:
Soldati senza confini: Better than an iPod in shuffle more with 20,000 songs.
Tekania wrote:Welcome to NSG, where informed opinions get to bump-heads with ignorant ideology under the pretense of an equal footing.

"When it’s a choice of putting food on the table, or thinking about your morals, it’s easier to say you’d think about your morals, but only if you’ve never faced that decision." - Anastasia Richardson

Current Goal: Flesh out nation factbook.

Grenartia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 14, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:11 pm

Great Zionist Israel wrote:A horrible, horrible thing that serves only to suppress free speech and to suppress facts that are inconvenient for the liberal orthodoxy.

And you're proving me right.

Grenartia wrote:
Kelinfort wrote:Just so were clear what's being discussed:
From Merriam Webster's:

I know a lot of unnecessary rhetoric comes under scrutiny for being politically incorrect, but we're just discussing the above. Many of course claim that this is "onerous" and prevents truth from being told. So I want to know, NS, what is your opinion of political correctness?

As for me, I believe some of it is unnecessary and downright unneeded, however, the word political correctness is terrible for describing what it truly is: not being an asshole.

Pretty much.

Also, its a myth used by the right to, ironically and hypocritically, enforce their own particular brand of political correctness. They don't see it as being "politically correct" to not treat people like assholes, and thus use "PC" as a meaningless buzzphrase against X (whatever they don't like), instead of judging X on its own merits.

Also, even if it did exist as you claim, its not suppression of free speech, because the government's not enforcing it on you. lrn2facts&logic
Lib-left. Antifascist, antitankie, anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist (including the imperialism of non-western countries). Christian (Unitarian Universalist). Background in physics.
Mostly a girl. She or they pronouns, please. Unrepentant transbian.
Reject tradition, embrace modernity.
People who call themselves based NEVER are.
The truth about kids transitioning.

The Lone Alliance
Powerbroker

Founded: May 25, 2005
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Lone Alliance » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:38 pm

Soldati senza confini wrote:wut... I don't even....

How can you both disapprove and use the same term in the same post.... :meh:
That's because I'm using it as an example on how it doesn't just apply to Latinos. ;)
"Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger." -Herman Goering
--------------
War is cruelty, and you cannot refine it; -William Tecumseh Sherman

Sefard
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 06, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Sefard » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:09 pm

Political correctness is very silly. Nothing more needs to be said on the matter.

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 05, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:17 pm

Sefard wrote:Political correctness is very silly. Nothing more needs to be said on the matter.

99% of respondents disagree.

Keyboard Warriors
Minister

Founded: Mar 17, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Keyboard Warriors » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:19 pm

Merizoc wrote:
Sefard wrote:Political correctness is very silly. Nothing more needs to be said on the matter.

99% of respondents disagree.

The only people who think it's silly are those who think it involves literally placing a gag on people who dare to say something that isn't kosher.
Yes.

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jun 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:13 pm

Keyboard Warriors wrote:
Merizoc wrote:99% of respondents disagree.

The only people who think it's silly are those who think it involves literally placing a gag on people who dare to say something that isn't kosher.

You mean that it doesn't?

Then what in the world am I supposed to do with all of these gags? They're not returnable!

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cannot think of a name » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:32 pm

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
Keyboard Warriors wrote:The only people who think it's silly are those who think it involves literally placing a gag on people who dare to say something that isn't kosher.

Then what in the world am I supposed to do with all of these gags? They're not returnable!

Well, I have a suggestion but first, how attached are you to your innocence?
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:48 pm

Cannot think of a name wrote:
Yumyumsuppertime wrote:

Well, I have a suggestion but first, how attached are you to your innocence?

In much the same way that I am attached to the umbilical cord, and I haven't seen it for about as long.

Dakini
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dakini » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:00 am

I know this was a while ago and the poster who made the initial claim had his nation deleted, but...
Caninope wrote:
Ucropi wrote:My country doesn't have a constitution....

I highly doubt that. An uncodified constitution is still a constitution.

Ucropi is (to my knowledge) Canadian; Canada definitely has a constitution.

Luziyca
Post Czar

Founded: Nov 13, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:01 am

Great Franconia and Verana wrote:I think that some people take it way too far, but some people who discount it entirely can be offensive. Like everything, there is a balance that must be struck

Basically my opinion.
|||The Kingdom of Rwizikuru|||
Your feeble attempts to change the very nature of how time itself has been organized by mankind shall fall on barren ground and bear no fruit
WikiFacebookKylaris: the best region for eight years runningAbout meYouTubePolitical compass

Dakini
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dakini » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:06 am

Great Kleomentia wrote:
Ifreann wrote:Because you're harming the company's public image.

And hence if you want to have a job you cant express your opinion on something, because political correctness.

Personally, I don't tend to run into trouble expressing my opinions at work. It helps that I'm not a bigot though.

Caninope
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Nov 26, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Caninope » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:16 am

Fireye wrote:
Solaray wrote:I prefer the term honkey, thank you very much.

I'm torn.

I think both Honkey and Cracker have their uses, and I don't give two shits if someone calls me either, irregardless of the context.

It just confuses me that a black person can call me either one and no one cares, but if I even THINK the "n-word" I might get fired from my job 30 years later, on account of my skin being melanin-deficient.

First, I'm pretty sure that if you were called a honkey or cracker in a professional environment, that would be harassment. Secondly, neither honkey nor cracker carry the same level of offense because no one is offended nearly as much. It's because you (and every other white person, like me) doesn't give two shits that it doesn't matter nearly as much. It's a myth that all racial nicknames were created equally offensive.
I'm the Pope
Secretly CIA interns stomping out negative views of the US
Türkçe öğreniyorum ama zorluk var.
Winner, Silver Medal for Debating
Co-Winner, Bronze Medal for Posting
Co-Winner, Zooke Goodwill Award

Agritum wrote:Arg, Caninope is Captain America under disguise. Everyone knows it.
Frisivisia wrote:
Me wrote:Just don't. It'll get you a whole lot further in life if you come to realize you're not the smartest guy in the room, even if you probably are.

Because Caninope may be in that room with you.
Nightkill the Emperor wrote:Thankfully, we have you and EM to guide us to wisdom and truth, holy one. :p
Norstal wrote:What I am saying of course is that we should clone Caninope.

Caninope
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Nov 26, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Caninope » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:18 am

Fanosolia wrote:
Soldati senza confini wrote:
As someone who is a historical purist I tend to agree with this notion.

The fact that a book is seen from the eyes of the present back to the past and we feel uncomfortable reading it is precisely what should be happening. It is almost necessary nowadays to cringe at what people have written in the past so we as liberal arts students can, and should be able to, heed the warnings from the past and be able to not repeat the same mistakes, or so is one of the goals of studying history and other liberal arts fields of study.

I'd extend it as far as modern historical fiction depicting the past, since we tend to get into the mentality of the period and we need to be able, as writers, to accurately reproduce the past as it was; otherwise it feels like a cheap facsimile.

Can I get a high five? *hold hand out*

I couldn't agree more, and it can really get some conversation in the class room going. Though I do ask why you use the term liberal arts? is that because it goes against tradition or more of a freedom thing?

it is a hard endeavor to achieve, but this is something the human race needs.

Liberal arts is an old term stretching back to antiquity. It originally mean "the arts or skills worth of a freeman", and included 7 basic "artes" during the Medieval Era.
I'm the Pope
Secretly CIA interns stomping out negative views of the US
Türkçe öğreniyorum ama zorluk var.
Winner, Silver Medal for Debating
Co-Winner, Bronze Medal for Posting
Co-Winner, Zooke Goodwill Award

Agritum wrote:Arg, Caninope is Captain America under disguise. Everyone knows it.
Frisivisia wrote:
Me wrote:Just don't. It'll get you a whole lot further in life if you come to realize you're not the smartest guy in the room, even if you probably are.

Because Caninope may be in that room with you.
Nightkill the Emperor wrote:Thankfully, we have you and EM to guide us to wisdom and truth, holy one. :p
Norstal wrote:What I am saying of course is that we should clone Caninope.

Earth in Roughly 1000 Years
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Aug 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Earth in Roughly 1000 Years » Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:36 pm

It gets in the way of healthy and intelligent dialogue.

Political Compass:
Economic Left/Right: 0.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.67
Political Spectrum:
Left: 0.49
Libertarian: 4.06
Non-Interventionist: 4.4
Cultural Liberal: 3.29
Political Test
http://oi57.tinypic.com/erifc1.jpg
Social Attitude Test:
http://oi57.tinypic.com/2dj1btf.jpg
Political Survey:
http://politics.beasts.org/scripts/resu ... 1915620368

If you think your shit doesn't stink it's only because your sense of smell does.

_[' ]_
(-_Q) If you support Capitalism put this in your Sig.

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:13 pm

Earth in Roughly 1000 Years wrote:It gets in the way of healthy and intelligent dialogue.

Are you saying that racist, homophobic, and sexist slurs are necessary for healthy and intelligent dialogue?

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 05, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:16 pm

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
Earth in Roughly 1000 Years wrote:It gets in the way of healthy and intelligent dialogue.

Are you saying that racist, homophobic, and sexist slurs are necessary for healthy and intelligent dialogue?

Yes. Xenophobic rhetoric too.

Blakk Metal
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 07, 2012

Postby Blakk Metal » Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:17 pm

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:

Political correctness also censors ideas.

Earth in Roughly 1000 Years
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Aug 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Earth in Roughly 1000 Years » Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:19 pm

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:

That is not implied anywhere in my statement. If you would like to have an actual civil conversation about this, I'll welcome it, but if you're just looking for an aha moment so you can feel good about yourself or gain "respect" from nerdy teenagers on the internet, fuck off.

Political Compass:
Economic Left/Right: 0.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.67
Political Spectrum:
Left: 0.49
Libertarian: 4.06
Non-Interventionist: 4.4
Cultural Liberal: 3.29
Political Test
http://oi57.tinypic.com/erifc1.jpg
Social Attitude Test:
http://oi57.tinypic.com/2dj1btf.jpg
Political Survey:
http://politics.beasts.org/scripts/resu ... 1915620368

If you think your shit doesn't stink it's only because your sense of smell does.

_[' ]_
(-_Q) If you support Capitalism put this in your Sig.

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:24 pm

Blakk Metal wrote:
Yumyumsuppertime wrote:

Political correctness also censors ideas.

How?

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:31 pm

Earth in Roughly 1000 Years wrote:
Yumyumsuppertime wrote:

That is not implied anywhere in my statement. If you would like to have an actual civil conversation about this, I'll welcome it, but if you're just looking for an aha moment so you can feel good about yourself or gain "respect" from nerdy teenagers on the internet, fuck off.

Or you could explain what you actually meant by your comment rather than flaming me in response to a question. However, as you've chosen to go straight from zero to napalm in a matter of two posts, my faith in your ability to hold the sort of civil conversation that you're talking about is...limited.

Blakk Metal
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 07, 2012

Postby Blakk Metal » Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:33 pm

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
Blakk Metal wrote:Political correctness also censors ideas.

How?

You cannot say any of the following:
  • Not all imperialism is bad.
  • There are races, and they are as distinct from eachother as languages are.
  • Direct violence by white Christians on others is sometimes justified.
  • Gender does not exist outside of linguistics, only sex.
  • Demographics are significantly not equal to each other in certain traits.
  • Etc.

Kelinfort
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kelinfort » Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:36 pm

Blakk Metal wrote:
Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
How?

You cannot say any of the following:
  • Not all imperialism is bad.
  • There are races, and they are as distinct from eachother as languages are.
  • Direct violence by white Christians on others is sometimes justified.
  • Gender does not exist outside of linguistics, only sex.
  • Demographics are significantly not equal to each other in certain traits.
  • Etc.

Yes, you can. Political correctness doesn't prevent you from saying that or anything else.
Last edited by Kelinfort on Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General