NATION

PASSWORD

Is America The Best Country In The World?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Jinwoy
Senator

Founded: May 30, 2011
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Jinwoy » Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:09 pm

I have no idea where this is going but I'm going to say this:
1) Russia certainly put more effort in their war effort than the west. Doesn't necessarily make it better, because Quantity =/= Quality and all that.
2) Without Russia, an allied invasion of Europe would've been dang near impossible since, of course, Naziland could just relocate all their armies to counter the allied invasion of Normandy.
3) Without allied help, Russia would've lost the war. Easily.
4) The US was lagging behind in modern technology until the British gave them access to their tech.
5) It wasn't all the US. The US isn't the sole reason for winning the European theatre, but it is the sole reason for the victory in the pacific theatre. You can't count on Australia for much. You couldn't count on Britain for much. It was all about the US in the pacific.
6) Naziland was evil.
7) Tactical and Logistical failure by Nazi military leaders meant that defeat was inevitable by a joint Soviet-West invasion.
8) WHO TOOK BERLIN? ARGUABLY THE MOST HEAVILY DEFENDED CITY IN ALL OF GLORIOUS DEUTSCHLAND! PROBABLY THE GREATEST VICTORY OF THE WAR (Aside from defeating Japan, thanks America!)

Then there's the aftermath:
1) Which power spawned the great Soviet vs. West problem? Answer: UK under passionate anti-communist Winston Churchill
2) Which power spawned hardcore stalinist states with a tendency to slaughter dissidents like the scum they are? Answer: USSR under the glorious Joseph Stalin
3) America? Answer: Not any better than anyone else.
*Drops mic*
Last edited by Jinwoy on Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
10 13! Years of Jinwoy
Only 8 years left until I can legally buy alcohol
Late-twenties/Straight White Male/Annoyingly Mildly Accelerationist
Hot Take: France is actually pretty cool, aside from all the neocolonialism and institutional racism. Paris still sucks.

KASSRD
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby KASSRD » Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:32 pm

Jinwoy wrote:I have no idea where this is going but I'm going to say this:
1) Russia certainly put more effort in their war effort than the west. Doesn't necessarily make it better, because Quantity =/= Quality and all that.
2) Without Russia, an allied invasion of Europe would've been dang near impossible since, of course, Naziland could just relocate all their armies to counter the allied invasion of Normandy.
4) The US was lagging behind in modern technology until the British gave them access to their tech.
5) It wasn't all the US. The US isn't the sole reason for winning the European theatre, but it is the sole reason for the victory in the pacific theatre. You can't count on Australia for much. You couldn't count on Britain for much. It was all about the US in the pacific.
6) Naziland was evil.
7) Tactical and Logistical failure by Nazi military leaders meant that defeat was inevitable by a joint Soviet-West invasion.
8) WHO TOOK BERLIN? ARGUABLY THE MOST HEAVILY DEFENDED CITY IN ALL OF GLORIOUS DEUTSCHLAND! PROBABLY THE GREATEST VICTORY OF THE WAR (Aside from defeating Japan, thanks America!)

1) Which power spawned the great Soviet vs. West problem? Answer: UK under passionate anti-communist Winston Churchill
2) Which power spawned hardcore stalinist states with a tendency to slaughter dissidents like the scum they are? Answer: USSR under the glorious Joseph Stalin
*Drops mic*

Wasn't the Soviet Invasion of Manchuria helpful in getting the Japanese to surrender?

Organized States
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 26, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Organized States » Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:39 pm

KASSRD wrote:
6) Naziland was evil.

*Drops mic*

Wasn't the Soviet Invasion of Manchuria helpful in getting the Japanese to surrender?

Helpful, yes. Essential, no. After LeMay's ruthless firebombing, and then, the atomic bomb. On top of the Emperor being extremely against the war, the US basically smacked Japan around the Pacific due to the fact that Japan could not sustain a prolonged war (on top of counter insurgency/keeping territory in China).
Thank God for OS!- Deian
"In the old days, the navigators used magic to make themselves strong, but now, nothing; they just pray. Before they leave and at sea, they pray. But I, I make myself strong by thinking—just by thinking! I make myself strong because I despise cowardice. Too many men are afraid of the sea. But I am a navigator."-Mau Piailug
"I regret that I have only one life to give to my island." -Ricardo Bordallo, 2nd Governor of Guam
"Both are voyages of exploration. Hōkūle‘a is in the past, Columbia is in the future." -Colonel Charles L. Veach, USAF, Astronaut and Navigation Enthusiast

Pacific Islander-American (proud member of the 0.5%), Officer to be

Blakk Metal
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 07, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Blakk Metal » Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:23 am

KASSRD wrote:
Antarticaria wrote:
Ahh yes, the soviets, now tell me where would all those Western German fighting forces go if there was no driving force in the west? Either invading A. England or Reinforcing B. Eastern Fronts.
Most likely invading England then transferring back over leaving I would estimate about 25% of their force to police the locals while the other 75% would head back to the Easter front and fight the soviets along the already hardened East front German forces.
Also remember even after retaking Stalingrad Russian logistics and resources were.... well for lack of a better description just plain shit. They were waiting for comrades to die before getting a rifle. Not to mention Japan could intervene and use their forces to subdue Asia before combating Russia as well as committing continual genocide in Asia.
To describe the dire need of American involvement Winston actually fabricated fake Intel to try and force America into the war.

Now if by some miracle in this hypothetical that Russia DID fight Germany back, how many MORE losses would all Nations have suffered? As well as Russia engulfing large portions of Europe perhaps even farther then Germany causing even more increased friction with Britain and Winston.
Not to mention the death toll would probably be higher considering that Japan during all this would still be killing people.

So if by any chance not essential, it sure did work alot better then the alternatives possible.

Without the Soviets, I highly doubt the western allies could have won. Britain could have held out at least long enough for the Soviets to turn the tide of the war. Although I agree a world without the soviets asking control of all mainland Europe is not a preferable one.

The Nazis had deficient logistics and no surface navy, and the Western Allies, and only the Western Allies, were blowing up everything they had. There was no way they could have lasted long.

Immoren
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2010

Postby Immoren » Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:32 am

KASSRD wrote:
Antarticaria wrote:
Ahh yes, the soviets, now tell me where would all those Western German fighting forces go if there was no driving force in the west? Either invading A. England or Reinforcing B. Eastern Fronts.
Most likely invading England then transferring back over leaving I would estimate about 25% of their force to police the locals while the other 75% would head back to the Easter front and fight the soviets along the already hardened East front German forces.
Also remember even after retaking Stalingrad Russian logistics and resources were.... well for lack of a better description just plain shit. They were waiting for comrades to die before getting a rifle. Not to mention Japan could intervene and use their forces to subdue Asia before combating Russia as well as committing continual genocide in Asia.
To describe the dire need of American involvement Winston actually fabricated fake Intel to try and force America into the war.

Now if by some miracle in this hypothetical that Russia DID fight Germany back, how many MORE losses would all Nations have suffered? As well as Russia engulfing large portions of Europe perhaps even farther then Germany causing even more increased friction with Britain and Winston.
Not to mention the death toll would probably be higher considering that Japan during all this would still be killing people.

So if by any chance not essential, it sure did work alot better then the alternatives possible.

Without the Soviets, I highly doubt the western allies could have won. Britain could have held out at least long enough for the Soviets to turn the tide of the war. Although I agree a world without the soviets asking control of all mainland Europe is not a preferable one.

I remember someone once claiming that only reason British needed military help of America was because Japanese forced them to two front war by attacking everyone in Pacific, and without Japanese Meddling British could've crushed Germans in Western Europe alone.
IC Flag Is a Pope Principia
discoursedrome wrote:everyone knows that quote, "I know not what weapons World War Three will be fought, but World War Four will be fought with sticks and stones," but in a way it's optimistic and inspiring because it suggests that even after destroying civilization and returning to the stone age we'll still be sufficiently globalized and bellicose to have another world war right then and there

Bonosov
Political Columnist

Founded: Jul 12, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Bonosov » Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:42 am

Immoren wrote:
KASSRD wrote:Without the Soviets, I highly doubt the western allies could have won. Britain could have held out at least long enough for the Soviets to turn the tide of the war. Although I agree a world without the soviets asking control of all mainland Europe is not a preferable one.

I remember someone once claiming that only reason British needed military help of America was because Japanese forced them to two front war by attacking everyone in Pacific, and without Japanese Meddling British could've crushed Germans in Western Europe alone.

:rofl: You sir are funny. Not flaming here, but I know WW2 good, the British would have eventually been defeated without the help of America, for one, sure, they had factories but lacked raw materials, the US provided the Britts with raw supplies to help them keep fighting. If America decided not to help, there wouldn't have been lend lease materials. So if the US didn't help, one the British would have eventually been overwhelmed and invaded. And Two the soviets would have had it harder since the US helped them as well. And if we didn't do lend lease, we wouldn't have had the war industry when Japan bombed Pearl Harbor which again, the shift to making tanks isn't something done over night. But again, the Brits had a decent naval fleet, however the Germans were sinking them with their U-boats and without the help from America, including sonar, the Germans probably would have destroyed their naval power. And I can go on and on, but I believe I made my point. :D
Last edited by Bonosov on Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

United States Kingdom
Minister

Founded: Jun 24, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby United States Kingdom » Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:52 am

Bonosov wrote:
Immoren wrote:

:rofl: You sir are funny. Not flaming here, but I know WW2 good, the British would have eventually been defeated without the help of America, for one, sure, they had factories but lacked raw materials, the US provided the Britts with raw supplies to help them keep fighting. If America decided not to help, there wouldn't have been lend lease materials. So if the US didn't help, one the British would have eventually been overwhelmed and invaded. And Two the soviets would have had it harder since the US helped them as well. And if we didn't do lend lease, we wouldn't have had the war industry when Japan bombed Pearl Harbor which again, the shift to making tanks isn't something done over night. But again, the Brits had a decent naval fleet, however the Germans were sinking them with their U-boats and without the help from America, including sonar, the Germans probably would have destroyed their naval power. And I can go on and on, but I believe I made my point. :D

I sir disagree with you in the British not having raw materials. The British Empire as much as I hate this fact was a world superpower and had colonial holdings in Africa and the Middle East as well as some of Asia although Hong Kong isn't really a 'strategic'.

Jinwoy
Senator

Postby Jinwoy » Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:58 am

Bonosov wrote:
Immoren wrote:

I don't think you have, and here's why you're wrong:
One - the Americans were severely lagging on tech - they couldn't take on the Germans alone, ESPECIALLY when they first entered the war.
This is where Britain comes in.
Britain and America wouldn't be able to take on Germany together - invading either England or France via the English channel would be a logistical nightmare and would be a spectacular failure for one side.
If the Nazi invasion of the USSR hadn't occurred, the allies would've very damn well lost the invasion at Normandy - if not then, a German counter offensive would've led to a steady war of attrition.
I mean, its not like the US could just send more troops to reinforce Normandy, considering America also had the contend with the naval superiority of Imperial Japan too - fighting a offensive-turned-defensive war on two fronts is what caused Germany to lose, remember?

With those in mind, lets down our attention to the pacific - With Britain reinforcing the motherland with her imperial navy from the then superior German navy, her lovely colonies where at immediate risk of invasion from Japan - Singapore, New Zealand and Australia. None of these countries could defend themselves (arguably, they still can't) and so had to turn to the US for help. A successful move, because all turned out well when the invasion of Normandy was a success... but what if it wasn't?
USA was not good with tech. It was outdated. The whole reason they were able to get the tech necessary to even THINK about facing the Germans toe to toe was because the British were able to ship it to them. It confuses me when I think about how the Germans had Great Britain on lock-down and somehow the British still managed to smuggle out the tech plans, but I digress.
Had the Germans sunk that faithful ship, the war would've turned out very differently for the US. Probably on the side of axis occupation, if not outright destruction.
10 13! Years of Jinwoy
Only 8 years left until I can legally buy alcohol
Late-twenties/Straight White Male/Annoyingly Mildly Accelerationist
Hot Take: France is actually pretty cool, aside from all the neocolonialism and institutional racism. Paris still sucks.

Bonosov
Political Columnist

Founded: Jul 12, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Bonosov » Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:58 am

United States Kingdom wrote:
Bonosov wrote: :rofl: You sir are funny. Not flaming here, but I know WW2 good, the British would have eventually been defeated without the help of America, for one, sure, they had factories but lacked raw materials, the US provided the Britts with raw supplies to help them keep fighting. If America decided not to help, there wouldn't have been lend lease materials. So if the US didn't help, one the British would have eventually been overwhelmed and invaded. And Two the soviets would have had it harder since the US helped them as well. And if we didn't do lend lease, we wouldn't have had the war industry when Japan bombed Pearl Harbor which again, the shift to making tanks isn't something done over night. But again, the Brits had a decent naval fleet, however the Germans were sinking them with their U-boats and without the help from America, including sonar, the Germans probably would have destroyed their naval power. And I can go on and on, but I believe I made my point. :D

I sir disagree with you in the British not having raw materials. The British Empire as much as I hate this fact was a world superpower and had colonial holdings in Africa and the Middle East as well as some of Asia although Hong Kong isn't really a 'strategic'.

That may be true, but how did they get raw materials? Merchants that were being sunk by the German U-boats. They would hold out, but eventually they would have came to the fate of the rest of their European allies.

Jinwoy
Senator

Postby Jinwoy » Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:59 am

United States Kingdom wrote:
Bonosov wrote: :rofl: You sir are funny. Not flaming here, but I know WW2 good, the British would have eventually been defeated without the help of America, for one, sure, they had factories but lacked raw materials, the US provided the Britts with raw supplies to help them keep fighting. If America decided not to help, there wouldn't have been lend lease materials. So if the US didn't help, one the British would have eventually been overwhelmed and invaded. And Two the soviets would have had it harder since the US helped them as well. And if we didn't do lend lease, we wouldn't have had the war industry when Japan bombed Pearl Harbor which again, the shift to making tanks isn't something done over night. But again, the Brits had a decent naval fleet, however the Germans were sinking them with their U-boats and without the help from America, including sonar, the Germans probably would have destroyed their naval power. And I can go on and on, but I believe I made my point. :D

Wrong again.
The Imperial Navy could not simultaneously defend against the Japanese and the Germans. The Homeland got top priority when it came to defence, and so her colonies had to look for allies in the region for defence - which at the time was America only.

Blakk Metal
Negotiator

Postby Blakk Metal » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:10 am

Jinwoy wrote:Had the Germans sunk that faithful ship, the war would've turned out very differently for the US. Probably on the side of axis occupation, if not outright destruction.

Or they could have remailed it.
Last edited by Blakk Metal on Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

TriStates
Senator

Founded: Apr 24, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby TriStates » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:16 am

6) Naziland was evil.

*Drops mic*

^ Brought to you by a Historian near you.

Good show :clap:
Vytautas wrote:There are two kinds of people in this world:
* people giving a fuck,
* people not giving a fuck,
Drink Vytautas, give a NEGATIVE FUCK!
The Burning Sun wrote:...you seem to experience what I shall completely non-offensively dub the Triplex, or TriStates Complex - you spend a ton of time crafting a beautiful work of collaboration, and then you mysteriously disappear...

The Starlight wrote:
TriStates wrote::( I don't like change...

It's coarse and dry and gets everywhere. :p

But I do get what you mean.
My Past Adventures: After World

SaintB
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 18, 2007

Postby SaintB » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:17 am

At one point in time we may have been but its since been squandered by irresponsible practices. The US isn't even the best at convincing everyone it's the best.
Hi my name is SaintB and I am prone to sarcasm and hyperbole. Because of this I make no warranties, express or implied, concerning the accuracy, completeness, reliability or suitability of the above statement, of its constituent parts, or of any supporting data. These terms are subject to change without notice from myself.

Every day NationStates tells me I have one issue. I am pretty sure I've got more than that.

TriStates
Senator

Founded: Apr 24, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby TriStates » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:19 am

SaintB wrote:At one point in time we may have been but its since been squandered by irresponsible practices. The US isn't even the best at convincing everyone it's the best.

Meh, we just need to convice ourselves. Then it becomes fact :p
Vytautas wrote:There are two kinds of people in this world:
* people giving a fuck,
* people not giving a fuck,
Drink Vytautas, give a NEGATIVE FUCK!
The Burning Sun wrote:...you seem to experience what I shall completely non-offensively dub the Triplex, or TriStates Complex - you spend a ton of time crafting a beautiful work of collaboration, and then you mysteriously disappear...

The Starlight wrote:
TriStates wrote::( I don't like change...

It's coarse and dry and gets everywhere. :p

But I do get what you mean.
My Past Adventures: After World

Decius
Negotiator

Founded: May 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Decius » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:20 am

Nein Deutschland ist das größte Land in der Welt.
"My enemies are many, My equals are none."
-Napoleon Bonaparte, First Emperor of France

"Our enemies are many, Our equals are none."
-Motto of the Glorious Fourth German Reich of Decius

LONG LIVE THE FOURTH REICH! HEIL TO THE KAISER!

Blakk Metal
Negotiator

Postby Blakk Metal » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:22 am

Decius wrote:Nein Deutschland ist das größte Land in der Welt.

Germany is the grosst land in the world? No long it has so many germs.

Herrebrugh
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Herrebrugh » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:22 am

Of course not. To put it in Van Gaalian terms: that's a stupid question.

There is no best country in the world. Not until someone establishes an internationally recognised measure of goodness.
Uyt naem Zijner Majeſteyt Jozef III, bij de gratie Godts, Koningh der Herrebrugheylanden, Prins van Rheda, Heer van Jozefslandt, enz. enz. enz.
Im Namen Seiner Majeſtät Joſeph III., von Gottes Gnaden König der Herrenbrückinſeln, Prinz von Rheda, Herr von Josephsland etc. etc. etc.

The Factbook of the Kingdom of the Herrebrugh Islands
Where the Website-Style Factbook Originated!

Totally Not Leningrad Union
Minister

Founded: Feb 15, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Totally Not Leningrad Union » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:23 am

I've changed my opinion recently from anti-US to pro-US.

The USA does so much good for the world and even if we are behind in some areas, I think it's at least in the top ten for all-around everything good. America is the world's oldest republic and has the longest lasting constitution.

The best? I'm not sure. One of the best? Definitely.
ن In Solidarity with Middle Eastern Christians ن
RIP Leningrad Union, 6583 posts and 1.243 billion people. Unjustly DEATed.

Want to join a fun forums website that isn't exclusive/selective?
Arglorand wrote:
Totally Not Leningrad Union wrote:Just shut down their government already.

Unfortunately, North Korea doesn't have the Republican Party.
The Grey Wolf wrote:Yes, in this world filled with wars, murder, rape, and crime in general...

Our biggest problem is children looking at titties.

Immoren wrote:I'd think that comparing FB to Twitter and Instagram is like comparing apples and baseballs.

Decius
Negotiator

Founded: May 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Decius » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:35 am

Blakk Metal wrote:
Decius wrote:Nein Deutschland ist das größte Land in der Welt.

Germany is the grosst land in the world? No long it has so many germs.

Deutschland ist das beste Land der Welt.
"My enemies are many, My equals are none."
-Napoleon Bonaparte, First Emperor of France

"Our enemies are many, Our equals are none."
-Motto of the Glorious Fourth German Reich of Decius

LONG LIVE THE FOURTH REICH! HEIL TO THE KAISER!

Kiruri
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Kiruri » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:36 am

Totally Not Leningrad Union wrote:I've changed my opinion recently from anti-US to pro-US.

The USA does so much good for the world and even if we are behind in some areas, I think it's at least in the top ten for all-around everything good. America is the world's oldest republic and has the longest lasting constitution.

The best? I'm not sure. One of the best? Definitely.

More like top 20. I don't think It'd be in the top ten.. well.. maybe #10...

The US is pretty cool, but there are far better places ^^ Anyway.. to each their own... I mean.. it's not like there's a right/wrong answer xP
I'm BIwinning
CelebrateBisexualityDaySeptember 23rd
Costa Rican
Dirty Paws!
d(^o^)b¸¸♬·¯·♩¸¸♪·¯·♫¸¸
=^..^=

Padnak
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Padnak » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:41 am

Everyone here is stupid

Russia is the best country in the world

Fact.
"มีใบมีดคมและจิตใจที่คมชัด!"
Have a sharp blade, and a sharper mind!
Need weapons for dubious purposes? Buy Padarm today!
San-Silvacian: Aug 11, 2011-Mar 20, 2015
Inquilabstan wrote:It is official now. Padnak is really Cobra Commander.

Bezombia wrote:It was about this time that Padnak slowly realized that the thread he thought was about gaming was, in fact, an eight story tall crustacean from the protozoic era.

Husseinarti wrote:Powered Borscht.

Because cosmonauts should never think that even in the depths of space they are free from the Soviet Union.

The Kievan People wrote:As usual, this is Padnak's fault, but we need to move on.

Immoren wrote:Again we've sexual tension that can be cut with a bowie.

Jinwoy
Senator

Postby Jinwoy » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:42 am

Blakk Metal wrote:
Jinwoy wrote:Had the Germans sunk that faithful ship, the war would've turned out very differently for the US. Probably on the side of axis occupation, if not outright destruction.

Or they could have remailed it.

They barely had the resources to do it the first time. That's why I'm surprised they were able to break the German hold.

Antarticaria
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Antarticaria » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:59 pm

6) Naziland was evil.

*Drops mic*

Ahh yes, and now I can say these great words so rare on NS.
I agree. :)
Just a average person! Is that too straight forward?

Trygg
Envoy

Founded: Jul 10, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Trygg » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:59 pm

Lastwordsgoodbye wrote:
Seaxeland wrote:It once was and it can be again, but right now it is not, and that is unacceptable.

:clap: I second this.

The motion is passed. :bow:
Fecal-Meteorologist of the general forum

Make Oreos our currency now!
-------
Hetland 2 wrote:
As of now, Christopher has the sex appeal of road kill.
-------
Hakio wrote:
Fuck the dictionary.

KASSRD
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby KASSRD » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:09 pm

Antarticaria wrote:
6) Naziland was evil.

*Drops mic*

Ahh yes, and now I can say these great words so rare on NS.
I agree. :)

Impossible. It goes against the laws of physics that people on nationstates can agree with each other.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General