NATION

PASSWORD

Iraqi PM declares "State of Emergency" as ISIS occupy Mosul

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Volnotova
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 08, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Volnotova » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:25 am

Live updates from BBC

Bahrain has asked its citizens to leave the country immediately.

"Baghdad has fallen into an economic breakdown, citizens are withdrawing their money from banks, US dollar is pulled from the market, people are buying all kinds of back-up food and water leading to a rise in prices. For example. one kilo of tomatoes used to cost 500 dinars, now it's 2000 dinar. Gas prices are still under control by the government but people are expecting a shortage of gas in the coming days."

Also,

Iraq's army helicopters have fired rockets on a mosque in Tikrit, a local official and witnesses are quoted as saying by Reuters.

:palm:
A very exclusive and exceptional ice crystal.

A surrealistic alien entity stretched thin across the many membranes of the multiverse.
The Land Fomerly Known as Ligerplace wrote:You are the most lawful neutral person I have ever witnessed.

Polruan wrote:It's like Humphrey Applebee wrote a chapter of the Talmud in here.

Allet Klar Chefs
Minister

Founded: Apr 26, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Allet Klar Chefs » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:27 am

Volnotova wrote:Iraq's army helicopters have fired rockets on a mosque in Tikrit, a local official and witnesses are quoted as saying by Reuters.

You hide in a mosque and it gets shelled, sorry chaps that's just how it works. I think everyone understands that.
Last edited by Allet Klar Chefs on Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Al-Faisal
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jul 13, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Al-Faisal » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:33 am

Allet Klar Chefs wrote:
Volnotova wrote:Iraq's army helicopters have fired rockets on a mosque in Tikrit, a local official and witnesses are quoted as saying by Reuters.

You hide in a mosque and it gets shelled, sorry chaps that's just how it works. I think everyone understands that.

Precisely.

Treating Islam like its too special to touch or insult (like so many leftist Westerners do) only encourages the superiority attitude of extremists.

Saddam's Iraq and Assad's Syria know how you scatter the vermin.
We hate some persons because we do not know them; and will not know them because we hate them.
~Charles Caleb Colton
Arab National Council elections (Please vote)

Sun Aut Ex wrote:I'll gladly leave the human race if it means I don't have to share a race with the Muslims.

Risottia wrote:
The Northwestern Imperative wrote:Israel is the most civilized, modern country in the Middle East.

No, that would be Turkey.

Volnotova
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Volnotova » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:35 am

Guardian live feed

ISIL claims to have executed 1700 Shia soldiers.

A surrealistic alien entity stretched thin across the many membranes of the multiverse.
The Land Fomerly Known as Ligerplace wrote:You are the most lawful neutral person I have ever witnessed.

Polruan wrote:It's like Humphrey Applebee wrote a chapter of the Talmud in here.

Volnotova
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Volnotova » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:36 am

Allet Klar Chefs wrote:

I was more referring to how ISIL will be able to use this against Malik's government.

The New Sea Territory
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 13, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The New Sea Territory » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:40 am

It's a bit more than a "state of emergency". It is a civil war. Thank you, Bush, Cheney and McCain for telling us to go in there and fuck up the whole place.
| Ⓐ | Anarchist Communist | Heideggerian Marxist | Vegetarian | Bisexual | Stirnerite | Slavic/Germanic Pagan | ᛟ |
Solntsa Roshcha --- Postmodern Poyltheist
"Christianity had brutally planted the poisoned blade in the healthy, quivering flesh of all humanity; it had goaded a cold wave
of darkness with mystically brutal fury to dim the serene and festive exultation of the dionysian spirit of our pagan ancestors."
-Renzo Novatore, Verso il Nulla Creatore

The New Sea Territory
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The New Sea Territory » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:41 am

Personally, I think it would be rational to separate it into "Kurdistan" (or whatever the Kurds want to name it), the Sunni Iraq and Shia Iraq.
| Ⓐ | Anarchist Communist | Heideggerian Marxist | Vegetarian | Bisexual | Stirnerite | Slavic/Germanic Pagan | ᛟ |
"Christianity had brutally planted the poisoned blade in the healthy, quivering flesh of all humanity; it had goaded a cold wave
of darkness with mystically brutal fury to dim the serene and festive exultation of the dionysian spirit of our pagan ancestors."

Valaran
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 25, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Valaran » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:45 am

The New Sea Territory wrote:Personally, I think it would be rational to separate it into "Kurdistan" (or whatever the Kurds want to name it), the Sunni Iraq and Shia Iraq.

Definitely to Kurdistan, and probably to the Shia and Sunni divisions. But their are overlaps certain areas (like Baghdad) so any split of the latter would be tough to say the least.
I used to run an alliance, and a region. Not that it matters now.
Archeuland and Baughistan wrote:"I don't always nice, but when I do, I build it up." Valaran
Valaran wrote:To be fair though.... I was judging on coolness factor, the most important criteria in any war.
Zoboyizakoplayoklot wrote:Val: NS's resident mindless zombie
Planita wrote:you just set the OP on fire

The New Sea Territory
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The New Sea Territory » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:46 am

Valaran wrote:
The New Sea Territory wrote:Personally, I think it would be rational to separate it into "Kurdistan" (or whatever the Kurds want to name it), the Sunni Iraq and Shia Iraq.

Definitely to Kurdistan, and probably to the Shia and Sunni divisions. But their are overlaps certain areas (like Baghdad) so any split of the latter would be tough to say the least.

Well....duh. The whole country is fucked and never should have existed in the first place. No wonder we have problems.

Valaran
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Valaran » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:53 am

The New Sea Territory wrote:
Valaran wrote:Definitely to Kurdistan, and probably to the Shia and Sunni divisions. But their are overlaps certain areas (like Baghdad) so any split of the latter would be tough to say the least.

Well....duh. The whole country is fucked and never should have existed in the first place. No wonder we have problems.

I meant the splitting up the latter 2 groups.

Yeah, but splits and overlaps could lead to violence (Yugoslavia) and tensions later on down the line, so it would have to be done very carefully to prevent this.

Sunnis under Saddam also used to rule all of Iraq so they may not like the split as well (less of a problem but still)
Last edited by Valaran on Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Archeuland and Baughistan wrote:"I don't always nice, but when I do, I build it up." Valaran
Valaran wrote:To be fair though.... I was judging on coolness factor, the most important criteria in any war.

Blakk Metal
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 07, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Blakk Metal » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:10 am

Al-Faisal wrote:Yet another cycle of the US creating an enemy worse than the one its military-industrial complex wanted to fight.

Yet another? This was the first.

Keyboard Warriors
Minister

Founded: Mar 17, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Keyboard Warriors » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:18 am

Volnotova wrote:
Keyboard Warriors wrote:The Saudis themselves are quite capable of tackling ISIS and surely, if Al Qaeda aren't extreme enough for ISIS, the Saudis would have reason to do so.

The Saudi military is utterly incompetent, their training and leadership is abysmal.

They are a paper tiger with nice toys, but little else.

Uhhh, no. The Saudi military is the best in the gulf by a long way. It's a small but very efficient force modelled around Western European structures.
Yes.

Napkiraly
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Napkiraly » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:22 am

Volnotova wrote:Guardian live feed

I'm still hoping that the West decides to offer some assistance or at least push some of the more moderate Islamic countries in the region (such as Jordan) into intervening.

And despite my misgivings, I think it's time to lay off of the Assad regime. These guys are far, far worse.
Last edited by Napkiraly on Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Keyboard Warriors
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Keyboard Warriors » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:24 am

Napkiraly wrote:

I'm still hoping that the West decides to offer some assistance or at least push some of the more moderate Islamic countries in the region (such as Jordan) into intervening.

And despite my misgivings, I think it's time to lay off of the Assad regime. These guys are far, far worse.

I agree. Assad isn't exactly my first choice of leader but if this is the alternative...
Yes.

Keyboard Warriors
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Keyboard Warriors » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:25 am

You know what, this is Obama's fault. If Obama had have invaded Syria back in 2012 and established democracy and freedom, none of this would have happened. Thanks a lot Obama.
Yes.

Estado Paulista
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 06, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Estado Paulista » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:37 am

Obama said Iraq needs help. Frankly, I don't know how he reached that conclusion, but if he did it by himself, the 22th Amendment needs to be repealed and the Senate should declare him dictator-for-life of the United States. Though, whether Obama will or not help Iraq is a totally different story.
Last edited by Estado Paulista on Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Your nation is like a son. What it does right is your merit, as well as what it does wrong is your fault. When you praise it, be lucid and avoid exaggeration. Praising it too much can make it indolent. On the other hand, when you criticize it, be harsh, but do not ridicule it. Do your best to improve it, not through derision or disdain, but through good examples and dedication.

Valaran
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Valaran » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:41 am

Estado Paulista wrote:Obama said Iraq needs help. Frankly, I don't know how he reached that conclusion, but if he did it by himself, the 22th Amendment needs to be repealed and the Senate should declare him dictator-for-life of the United States. Though, whether Obama will or not help Iraq is a totally different story.

uh what? So you think Iraq is fine by itself, given the current situation? I'm not saying the US should intervene, but the view that Iraq is teetering on the edge of disintegration is pretty obvious.

Valaran
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Valaran » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:43 am

Napkiraly wrote:

Yeah, though perhaps Turkey (they are relatively moderate) is a better choice, being vastly more powerful than Jordan. To be honest though, Iran could do some help here (no one in either the West or Iran like ISIS at all)

Volnotova
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Volnotova » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:17 am

Keyboard Warriors wrote:
Volnotova wrote:

The Saudi military is utterly incompetent, their training and leadership is abysmal.

They are a paper tiger with nice toys, but little else.

Uhhh, no. The Saudi military is the best in the gulf by a long way. It's a small but very efficient force modelled around Western European structures.

It looks good on the outside, but the reality is quite different. I have yet to find any military analyst willing to label Saudi training and its command structure as adequate or competent.

In fact 'poor' is more often used to describe those aspects of the Saudi military.

As the recent offensive has shown: You might possess sophisticated equipment, but without adequate training and leadership you will still end up being overrun.

Napkiraly wrote:

Possible airstrikes are being taken into consideration.

Keyboard Warriors
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Keyboard Warriors » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:20 am

Volnotova wrote:
Keyboard Warriors wrote:Uhhh, no. The Saudi military is the best in the gulf by a long way. It's a small but very efficient force modelled around Western European structures.

It looks good on the outside, but the reality is quite different. I have yet to find any military analyst willing to label Saudi training and its command structure as adequate or competent.

In fact 'poor' is more often used to describe those aspects of the Saudi military.

As the recent offensive has shown: You might possess sophisticated equipment, but without adequate training and leadership you will still end up being overrun.

Do you have sources for this or is this just "in my opinion, they actually suck"? Why don't you start by quoting these military analysts you speak of?

It's no secret that the Saudis have spent billions contracting the US to train their troops, since the 50's.
Last edited by Keyboard Warriors on Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yes.

Napkiraly
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Napkiraly » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:25 am

Volnotova wrote:
Napkiraly wrote:I'm still hoping that the West decides to offer some assistance or at least push some of the more moderate Islamic countries in the region (such as Jordan) into intervening.

Possible airstrikes are being taken into consideration.

Excellent.

Senkaku
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 01, 2012
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Senkaku » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:29 am

Crude oil, according to the Wall Street Journal Report, has already jumped 33 cents to $106 a barrel.
Last edited by Senkaku on Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Biden-Santos Thought cadre

The Gaelic Kingdoms of Britain
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 02, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Gaelic Kingdoms of Britain » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:42 am

I've read a lot about this, and it really gets me worried for all the Christians in Iraq and Syria...Well, worried more than before.
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
--Thorin Oakenshield [J.R.R. Tolkien]
I am a true Scot
Alba gu bràth!

Deusaeuri
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 07, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Deusaeuri » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:47 am

The Gaelic Kingdoms of Britain wrote:I've read a lot about this, and it really gets me worried for all the Christians in Iraq and Syria...Well, worried more than before.

Why only Christians? There are millions of Sunnis and Shi'a in danger concerning sectarian violence.
Last edited by Deusaeuri on Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Estado Paulista
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 06, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Estado Paulista » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:50 am

Valaran wrote:
Estado Paulista wrote:Obama said Iraq needs help. Frankly, I don't know how he reached that conclusion, but if he did it by himself, the 22th Amendment needs to be repealed and the Senate should declare him dictator-for-life of the United States. Though, whether Obama will or not help Iraq is a totally different story.

uh what? So you think Iraq is fine by itself, given the current situation? I'm not saying the US should intervene, but the view that Iraq is teetering on the edge of disintegration is pretty obvious.

It should have been obvious that I was being sarcastic.
Your nation is like a son. What it does right is your merit, as well as what it does wrong is your fault. When you praise it, be lucid and avoid exaggeration. Praising it too much can make it indolent. On the other hand, when you criticize it, be harsh, but do not ridicule it. Do your best to improve it, not through derision or disdain, but through good examples and dedication.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General